PDA

View Full Version : Sigma Alpha Epsilon...

Pages : [1] 2

Turd_Ferguson
3/9/2015, 06:56 AM
ZooooooooMG! Somebody said the N word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dwarthog
3/9/2015, 07:13 AM
This will get interesting...

FaninAma
3/9/2015, 09:04 AM
So what happened exactly? It was allover Channel 9 news but they never said what they did specifically.

olevetonahill
3/9/2015, 09:20 AM
So what happened exactly? It was allover Channel 9 news but they never said what they did specifically.

Here ya go. Its Terrible cause it was White boys doing it, But its Ok in reverse LOL

http://www.thelostogle.com/2015/03/08/heres-some-ou-frat-boys-singing-a-racist-chant-on-charter-bus/

rock on sooner
3/9/2015, 09:20 AM

Go to the college football thread....Carlson has it posted there.

Turd_Ferguson
3/9/2015, 09:25 AM
Go to the college football thread....Carlson has it posted there.

**** Jenny.

olevetonahill
3/9/2015, 09:34 AM
Plus I just POSTED it HERE

oudanny
3/9/2015, 10:06 AM
Very disgusting and sad.

rock on sooner
3/9/2015, 10:40 AM
Plus I just POSTED it HERE
I was typing as you posted.....

EatLeadCommie
3/9/2015, 11:12 AM
It wasn't just somebody singing a song. It was a group-- the frat-- singing the song and doing it in a bus on their way to what appears to be a formal. So they're acting like asses en masse, and doing it in front of the ladies. Well played, gents. Boren and the national SAEs had no choice but to disband them. I'm sure anybody IDed in the video will be kicked out of school or strongly encouraged to transfer elsewhere.

Even though this likely originated elsewhere, it reflects poorly upon OU as a whole.

Erik Striker isn't too pleased about it.

1a-nrLr8IgQ

olevetonahill
3/9/2015, 11:16 AM
It wasn't just somebody singing a song. It was a group-- the frat-- singing the song and doing it in a bus on their way to what appears to be a formal. So they're acting like asses en masse, and doing it in front of the ladies. Well played, gents. Boren and the national SAEs had no choice but to disband them. I'm sure anybody IDed in the video will be kicked out of school or strongly encouraged to transfer elsewhere.

Even though this likely originated elsewhere, it reflects poorly upon OU as a whole.

Erik Striker isn't too pleased about it.

1a-nrLr8IgQ

Bet thats gonna go ocver well with the Coaches as well.

badger
3/9/2015, 12:07 PM
Very disappointed to see OU in national headlines for this.

I'm glad that a majority at OU, including the decision makers on both the academic and athletic sides, are being public and vocal about their disgust at this.

And college kids... act like everything you say and do is being recorded by a cell phone, because it probably is.

OkieThunderLion
3/9/2015, 01:13 PM
Already lost us our best recruit and will cost is more.

badger
3/9/2015, 01:55 PM
Already lost us our best recruit and will cost is more

We're still in verbal period so we never had that guy to begin with. He verbally committed back in November and since then, or more importantly, within the last week or so:

In the first week of March alone, Delance received offers from Missouri, Nebraska, Oregon State and Texas A&M, and he picked up an offer from Texas in the final week of February.

He's got tons more options now, so he's going to take visits, he's going to have fun and take free all expense trips around to college campuses and be catered to and loved on like every teenager dreams about.

And he may still decide to come to OU later... assuming we don't have another subpar year like last year. Then it doesn't matter what our dumb frats sing on charter buses en route to date night :mad:

hawaii 5-0
3/9/2015, 02:17 PM
Put me in the ashamed and disgusted column.

Makes me even more happy I was a dorm rat while at OU.

5-0

SicEmBaylor
3/9/2015, 02:46 PM
It's being blown way the hell out of proportion. People act as if they committed mass murder. It's just a bunch of drunk college kids saying stupid ****. Yes, stop the presses! Roll the 'breaking news' intro! Drunk kids said something stupid!

badger
3/9/2015, 04:02 PM
It's being blown way the hell out of proportion. People act as if they committed mass murder. It's just a bunch of drunk college kids saying stupid ****
A lot of people are hurt today by the words of others; football team included:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ou-football-players-recite-prayer-walk-out-on-practice/article_bd106d19-e104-50b0-9f22-8e0b0374caae.html

If someone at my house was shouting insults at my family, I'd ask them to leave. I respect rights to freedom of speech, but words have consequences.

SicEmBaylor
3/9/2015, 04:09 PM
A lot of people are hurt today by the words of others; football team included:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ou-football-players-recite-prayer-walk-out-on-practice/article_bd106d19-e104-50b0-9f22-8e0b0374caae.html

If someone at my house was shouting insults at my family, I'd ask them to leave. I respect rights to freedom of speech, but words have consequences.

I didn't say there shouldn't be consequences. On the other hand, I've had insulting and even racists things said to me by members of the Austin/UT chapter of La Raza. I didn't march with tape across my mouth. Just saying...

badger
3/9/2015, 04:13 PM
I've had insulting and even racists things said to me by members of the Austin/UT chapter of La Raza
I'd expect nothing less from those whorn bozos. The lot of them. La Raza and otherwise.

OU, on the other hand, I have the highest standards for. I don't want my alma mater associated with the stupid things SAE sang on that bus video. Leave racist sh!t for the Austin/UT whorns

SicEmBaylor
3/9/2015, 04:16 PM
I'd expect nothing less from those whorn bozos. The lot of them. La Raza and otherwise.

OU, on the other hand, I have the highest standards for. I don't want my alma mater associated with the stupid things SAE sang on that bus video. Leave racist sh!t for the Austin/UT whorns

Fair points. I don't think the punishment is unjust -- I just think the outrage is overblown.

Turd_Ferguson
3/9/2015, 04:25 PM
Fair points. I don't think the punishment is unjust -- I just think the outrage is overblown.

Local news is interrupting/overlapping regular scheduled programming for this. Imagine what the channels would be like if the rain we're getting would have been snow...

badger
3/9/2015, 04:26 PM
I just think the outrage is overblown
It was like a contract negotiation --- shoot for the moon and such. President Boren kicked the the frat off campus, promised a full investigation and the maximum punishment allowed by law. As such, I expect there to be a lot less outrage, campus rallies and such by Tuesday.

Imagine what the channels would be like if the rain we're getting would have been snow
It might have added some light hearted fun to the situation. "OU campus is out on a snow day today, but students are on campus rallying in the absence of classes... where there is not a flake of snow to be seen anywhere. Off-campus TV meteorologists who have absolutely no ties to OU's prestigious school of meteorology continue to insist that a large snowstorm will eventually enter the area..." ;)

SicEmBaylor
3/9/2015, 04:43 PM
Local news is interrupting/overlapping regular scheduled programming for this. Imagine what the channels would be like if the rain we're getting would have been snow...

I see what you did there.

Eielson
3/9/2015, 04:56 PM
It was bad, and they already had 2 strikes, so it's a pretty obvious strike 3. Kick them off campus. DBo is just being a jackass, though, in kicking them out of their living situation right in the middle of the busiest week of the semester (other than finals week). At least let them use spring break to find new housing. They already have enough things distracting them from their midterms. Like all fraternities, SAE has a mix of great kids and terrible kids. Many members were not involved in this. DBo is selling out his students to save face. Not cool.

Additionally, black people aren't the primary victims of fraternities. Women are. Meanwhile, the fraternity infamous for date-rape is still standing. You're a joke, DBo.

SicEmBaylor
3/9/2015, 05:10 PM
Out of curiosity, what specific rule was the basis for the suspension of SAE?

soonergirlNeugene
3/9/2015, 05:16 PM
SAE national closed the house. Any agreement between them and OU would have been voided. I have been reading that there were some issues with SAE's insurance or something. That they had previously sold the property to the university as part of some deal to remain on campus.

SicEmBaylor
3/9/2015, 05:17 PM
SAE national closed the house. Any agreement between them and OU would have been voided.

Then Boren was just showboating when he released that statement? Doesn't surprise me.

soonergirlNeugene
3/9/2015, 05:22 PM
I'm not positive about the timing of it all. Whether SAE's investigation of the video concluded before OU's or whether they were working jointly to investigate the video (though somehow I doubt that happened). Both released their statements following what they characterized as their own investigations. Both needed to cut ties as publicly as possible. It wouldn't surprise me though if the school's attorneys hadn't been in contact with SAE national before statements were made.

Eielson
3/9/2015, 05:24 PM
Then Boren was just showboating when he released that statement? Doesn't surprise me.

Yup. They'd already been shut down.

cvsooner
3/9/2015, 07:09 PM

I don't know. The Confederacy was shut down in 1865. The great Selma march was 50 years ago. The sentiment expressed in that song...it's 2015, man. I mean, Jesus.

aurorasooner
3/9/2015, 07:56 PM
CNN is all over it, which is not surprising. Anderson Cooper just threw his 2 cents worth in. Some OU student is saying that this is a ""Greek thing" at OU and is trying to implicate the other frats/sororites as well.
I know we did some pretty stupid chit at our parties back in the 70s mostly due to drinking or weed or both, but I can't ever remember any racist crap like this (not an SAE btw, but they were a pretty good house back in the 70s).
Some of our guys had lots of stuff worse than that stupid Confederate flag hanging in their rooms that CNN showed through one of the SAE's windows, (none that I can remember that were even remotely racist), like they're trying to show these guys are KKK or something similar. I don't know, they may be, but they probably just found that flag at some garage sale or at the flea market for cheap, and it was just used to cover up a blank wall.
Boren sounded pissed, and I don't blame him one bit. Having to baby sit these students when something like this gets out of hand with today's press and social media has got to be a freaking headache ---the Mixon deal and the Shannon deal, with women, and now this. No wonder the Univ prezs and the Head FB coaches in today's times get the big bucks.

LMAO, Anderson Cooper just admitted on the air that the Confederate Flag they showed in the window earlier was in the SAE house at OSU --not OU. Figures. Damage done, and most people had switched the channel before the correction was issued. Such is the way of today's press trying to blow up the issue.

Blue
3/9/2015, 08:30 PM
I was in a frat at OU and had a black pledge brother. Big deal right? Well you would never see that at Alabama, Auburn, or any other SEC school.

What I'm saying is as backwards as SAE is at OU, they are right in line with SEC Groupthink.

SicEmBaylor
3/9/2015, 09:32 PM
CNN is all over it, which is not surprising. Anderson Cooper just threw his 2 cents worth in. Some OU student is saying that this is a ""Greek thing" at OU and is trying to implicate the other frats/sororites as well.
I know we did some pretty stupid chit at our parties back in the 70s mostly due to drinking or weed or both, but I can't ever remember any racist crap like this (not an SAE btw, but they were a pretty good house back in the 70s).
Some of our guys had lots of stuff worse than that stupid Confederate flag hanging in their rooms that CNN showed through one of the SAE's windows, (none that I can remember that were even remotely racist), like they're trying to show these guys are KKK or something similar. I don't know, they may be, but they probably just found that flag at some garage sale or at the flea market for cheap, and it was just used to cover up a blank wall.
Boren sounded pissed, and I don't blame him one bit. Having to baby sit these students when something like this gets out of hand with today's press and social media has got to be a freaking headache ---the Mixon deal and the Shannon deal, with women, and now this. No wonder the Univ prezs and the Head FB coaches in today's times get the big bucks.

LMAO, Anderson Cooper just admitted on the air that the Confederate Flag they showed in the window earlier was in the SAE house at OSU --not OU. Figures. Damage done, and most people had switched the channel before the correction was issued. Such is the way of today's press trying to blow up the issue.

Can you please not bring the Confederacy into this? This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Confederacy or the War Between the States, so please don't continue to soil the name of our southern patriots by connecting these two issues. I consider this to be every bit as insulting as the racist comments themselves, so please keep the Confederacy out of it.

olevetonahill
3/9/2015, 09:44 PM
I just asked 8th, he said it was all Bush's fault

aurorasooner
3/9/2015, 10:30 PM
Can you please not bring the Confederacy into this? This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Confederacy or the War Between the States, so please don't continue to soil the name of our southern patriots by connecting these two issues. I consider this to be every bit as insulting as the racist comments themselves, so please keep the Confederacy out of it.You're joking right? If not then I really don't GAS if you think this is insulting because I was just pointing out that CNN was trying to make some kind of connection of that confederate flag with those idiots on that fraternity bus by pointing out that they were showing that flag through that supposed OU SAE fraternity window and it was in reality, by their own retraction, in the OSU SAE frat's window, not OU, and they're just re-airing that interview again now, and they didn't even edit the flag part out, although they'll probably own up that it wasn't even at OU, 30 min from now.
As far as that flag goes, never owned one, and don't plan to ever own one. Also, as far your plead for me to not bring the Confederacy in to this, send your complaint to CNN or the OSU SAEs.

Soonerjeepman
3/9/2015, 10:32 PM
my son, 19, said the same thing...what's the big deal? How can Boren close the house. I'm surprised because he's young. He doesn't agree they did it but freedom of speech deal. I told him I'm sure the frat (never was in one) had a ethics contract with the school...

I'm ONLY playing devil's advocate....ya think the black frat has said some choice words about white guys? prob...just smart enough to not record it or post it....lol

Blue
3/9/2015, 10:36 PM
What those dummies did was wrong...but the PC witch hunting nd self righteous grandstanding in this country is scary.

You are next. If you don't get in line with the agenda, you are next. Can you stand up for what you believe in or will you crumble under the PC Wave?

Not talkin race.

Sooner8th
3/9/2015, 10:39 PM
Can you please not bring the Confederacy into this? This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Confederacy or the War Between the States, so please don't continue to soil the name of our southern patriots by connecting these two issues. I consider this to be every bit as insulting as the racist comments themselves, so please keep the Confederacy out of it.Why not bring your beloved confederacy into it? They proudly claim they are the only national frat founded in the antebellum South "“Sigma Alpha Epsilon is the only national fraternity founded in the antebellum South,” the fraternity’s national webpage explains, adding that the frat was “[f]ounded in a time of intense sectional feeling” and that it initially “confined its growth to the southern states.”Though SAE had “fewer than 400 members when the Civil War began,” 369 fought in the Confederate army. Only seven fought for the union." http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/03/09/3631366/racist-chant-frat-long-history-racist-incidents/ Soil the name of our southern patriots? Your mean the ones that took up arms and attacked the United States of America? Every bit as insulting as the racist comments themselves? Where on gods green earth do you get this crap? It is the website of the frat that brags about their founding members being the cowards that attacked the United States of America and took an *** whipping. You people lost - get over it. You don't see what the outrage is about? Chanting about lynching? Is that ok? I don't see anyone here talking about lynching the good ol' confederacy. If you love the confederacy more than you do America - LEAVE!

Sooner8th
3/9/2015, 10:43 PM
I just asked 8th, he said it was all Bush's faultA blatant boldfaced out and out LIE. You never asked me a thing and I never said it was bush's fault - two lies in 11 words, you should work for faux "news". You gleefully started an entire thread calling me a liar when I wrongly said I got faux "news" from you. That was a mistake of memory - this is a LIE. Lying idiot.

EatLeadCommie
3/10/2015, 08:24 AM
Of course the reaction is overblown, but in today's world, the only reaction that can be had is an overreaction. It's the right response for that reason. If it were to go through a long process, the result would likely be the same. Now, legally speaking, I'm not sure Boren had the right to give them such a limited time to vacate. 36 hours? Short of them actually destroying the house, I'm not sure he can force them out with such short notice. And SAE is a big frat, so I doubt that everybody in that house was involved in singing that song. I'm sure lawyers on here know better than I do.

olevetonahill
3/10/2015, 08:27 AM
Ill believe the ENTIRE Frat was involved and are Racist when people start believing that All Mooslums are Terrorists.

FaninAma
3/10/2015, 09:03 AM
Of course the reaction is overblown, but in today's world, the only reaction that can be had is an overreaction. It's the right response for that reason. If it were to go through a long process, the result would likely be the same. Now, legally speaking, I'm not sure Boren had the right to give them such a limited time to vacate. 36 hours? Short of them actually destroying the house, I'm not sure he can force them out with such short notice. And SAE is a big frat, so I doubt that everybody in that house was involved in singing that song. I'm sure lawyers on here know better than I do.

By extension and based on the same hysteria that led to Boren shutting down the entire fraternity he really needs to just shut down the entire University because I am sure there are other students there who have used the N word and/or otherwise harbor racists thoughts on occassion. I am familiar with where Boren started his professional career as an attorney and when he was there(Seminole) the area was not known as an area of racial tolerance. To be consistent, if Boren or anybody in his family has ever used the N word he needs to resign today!

I want complete interracial purity of thought, by gawd....of course if you're a minority/liberal(i.e. Joe Biden) you are excused from this requirement and are allowed to say anything derogatory you want about ANY race in your community.

Do I have it about right?

On a more serious note.....of course Boren had to react the way he did. To do otherwise would have been to invite the wrath of the PC gods down on his and OU's collective heads. Parents need to teach their kids that they need to assume that anything that they say that is caught on video will eventually end up in public. I know I certainly have impressed that on my kids. I also told them not to assume they weren't being videoed when they were in public.

rock on sooner
3/10/2015, 09:07 AM
Ill believe the ENTIRE Frat was involved and are Racist when people start believing that All Mooslums are Terrorists.

Reasonable statement....someone made the video...someone decided to post
the video...what follows is that not everyone agreed with what was going on!
Sure hope whoever did the video is an undisclosed location...

badger
3/10/2015, 09:17 AM
After a freshman pledge died at an OU frat in the early aughts (around 2004) President Boren made every Greek house sign forms on underage drinking to maintain affiliation with the university and every one of them did except the Triangle guys (who did a few years later). It wouldn't surprise me if there were non-drinking clauses in there too just to make sure everyone didn't attempt anything else that would reflect badly on OU with repercussions.

I was 21 by then, but every student under 21, Greek or not, had to do some little online questionnaire thing that was allegedly education on the dangers of alcohol or something... it took like 10 minutes. I saw someone click through it. You had to do it your first semester or you couldn't enroll for your second or something.

FaninAma
3/10/2015, 09:23 AM
I actually think the Greek system is stupid but I assume that there is still some freedom of association on OU's campus. I may be wrong since Boren is a PC animal of the highest order. Any college President has to be a pc animal or get skewered by the national media. And I am all for being PC 24/7/365 as long as the rule is applied to EVERYONE.

Sooner8th
3/10/2015, 10:36 AM
I actually think the Greek system is stupid but I assume that there is still some freedom of association on OU's campus. I may be wrong since Boren is a PC animal of the highest order. Any college President has to be a pc animal or get skewered by the national media. And I am all for being PC 24/7/365 as long as the rule is applied to EVERYONE.You think this is being pc? Chanting the n-word over and over saying they will never be in sea and lynching from a tree? Really? Show me an example of blacks chanting the equivalent and nothing happened.

BigTip
3/10/2015, 10:53 AM
So. The next time an OU football player is arrested for sexual assault I am assuming that Boren will disband the football team and kick all the players out of the dorm because, "That is not what OU is all about!"

Yes, I am having trouble with how this went down. The most troubling is that there are that many idiot kids in this day and age!
But they are just members of that institution. They are not THE institution. I think the reaction is very heavy handed and troubling. And yes, it is a freedom of speech issue.

Also, it was very troubling when the TV showed the Confederate battle flag in the window of the OSU SAE house. The news reporter said something like, "Look how terrible this is too!" Everybody in the room with me said, "This is all of sudden like a witch hunt." THAT little report was scary on another level.

BigTip
3/10/2015, 10:57 AM
I think the national SAE organization is the only one with the right to say, "You guys are idiots and we are pulling your charter." As they should. Then the university could have said something like, "We support the national SAE decision completely."
But for the university to kick these guys out in the cold for something some of the members said is just too much.

badger
3/10/2015, 11:05 AM
But for the university to kick these guys out in the cold for something some of the members said is just too much.
Legally, that may be all that OU can do, so they did it. Didn't someone on here mention that OU leases the house to SAE?

Then again, isn't there laws about giving notice of eviction in Oklahoma?

It's an odd situation, and also a sad situation. It would have definitely been more convenient if the video got leaked around Spring Break instead of the week before

BigTip
3/10/2015, 11:09 AM
Then again, isn't there laws about giving notice of eviction in Oklahoma?

Exactly. Some scumbag that hasn't paid his rent takes six weeks to legally evict. Can you imagine a landlord showing up at house with a sheriff and making the tenant move RIGHT THEN because his rent is one day late? No notice, nothing? Unfathomable actually.

There have been a lot of trampled "rights" here. Where's the ACLU when you need them?

Katy Sooner
3/10/2015, 11:31 AM
The bus was full of pledges on their way to the annual founder's day formal in OKC. Someone's date video's the song and then posted to U-Tube thinking it would be funny. And as you can clearly see in the video the faces of not only some of the fraternity pledges but the DATE's as well. Rest assured the names of the dates and their respective sororities will be discovered and retribution for them will follow.
Stupid, senseless and basically indefensible however if one thinks this type of behavior is unique to OU Greek life they are stupid and naive or both. Also, the recruit we lost committed to Alabama!! A bastion of civil rights and tolerance for those of all color (as long as you can play football).
Kick these idiots (the individuals) who did this off campus, and move on.

badger
3/10/2015, 12:24 PM
Two expelled:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/state/two-fraternity-members-involved-in-racist-chant-video-expelled-from/article_8fc2d282-d5c3-5113-802e-daba4e963d74.html

Boren's a lawyer and OU's filled with lawyers and a fairly good law school, so I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Boren said he had met with the school’s legal advisers and the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to see what, if anything, could be done to individual members of the fraternity. He said he believed at least three of them had been positively identified, but identifying everyone on the bus where the video was filmed had proven difficult, because SAE leadership had not been “totally forthcoming” in its conversations with the school.

“We are commencing an investigation, not only of the chapter ... but we are also going to look at any individual perpetrators. We have a student code which prevents discrimination ... a hostile environment under Title VI of the Civil Rights law of 1964,” he said. “We’re investigating whether we will be able to take any action against individual students.”

So the real problem was that they said that SAE would never have an n-word member.... that was discriminatory and prohibited by law.

Lawyers are so tricky

FaninAma
3/10/2015, 12:51 PM
Yeah, Boren is entering the area of overkill at this point. But that is not shocking for him.

EatLeadCommie
3/10/2015, 12:54 PM
I'm also guessing that they are more than willing to risk any potential long-term legal ramifications to kill the story as quickly as possible.

FaninAma
3/10/2015, 12:58 PM
You think this is being pc? Chanting the n-word over and over saying they will never be in sea and lynching from a tree? Really? Show me an example of blacks chanting the equivalent and nothing happened.

Well, I can guarantee you if the OU RB that cold-cocked the white girl(she provoked him admittedly) had been white and the victim black he would not be playing for OU right now. In fact I am sure Boren would have helped put him in prison.

Up to this point Boren's actions have been appropriate but he is starting to enter the territory of demanding the extra pound of flesh from the idiot frat boys. And I am sure an earlier poster is right.....they will hunt down all of these monsters and kick them out of OU and punish their soroities. After that they will demand retribution from their families. I'm not shedding a tear for these greek dummies. I am fascinated in a sordid sort of way at how far Boren will go to appease the national PC press/police.

Right now Boren is winning the PR battle. Lets see if he has the good dense to stop while he is ahead. I don't think his past history suggests that he will.

EatLeadCommie
3/10/2015, 12:59 PM
By extension and based on the same hysteria that led to Boren shutting down the entire fraternity he really needs to just shut down the entire University because I am sure there are other students there who have used the N word and/or otherwise harbor racists thoughts on occassion. I am familiar with where Boren started his professional career as an attorney and when he was there(Seminole) the area was not known as an area of racial tolerance. To be consistent, if Boren or anybody in his family has ever used the N word he needs to resign today!

I want complete interracial purity of thought, by gawd....of course if you're a minority/liberal(i.e. Joe Biden) you are excused from this requirement and are allowed to say anything derogatory you want about ANY race in your community.

On a more serious note.....of course Boren had to react the way he did. To do otherwise would have been to invite the wrath of the PC gods down on his and OU's collective heads. Parents need to teach their kids that they need to assume that anything that they say that is caught on video will eventually end up in public. I know I certainly have impressed that on my kids. I also told them not to assume they weren't being videoed when they were in public.

You can't compare what may have been uttered 40 years ago to what is uttered now. Nor can you ignore the fact that-- right or wrong-- this video became public. Kids these days should not have any expectation of privacy. They simply shouldn't. It would be one thing if this was video shot at a fraternity member's only meeting, but they were singing this with formal dates on the bus. Definitely no expectation of privacy there!

I think Boren has done overkill on this and I think he is more than happy to do so. But I also think he had very little choice in the matter. If he wants to uphold the reputation of OU-- one that he has done a pretty decent job in building-- then he comes down like the Thor's Hammer on this, and he did.

FaninAma
3/10/2015, 01:08 PM
You can't compare what may have been uttered 40 years ago to what is uttered now. Nor can you ignore the fact that-- right or wrong-- this video became public. Kids these days should not have any expectation of privacy. They simply shouldn't. It would be one thing if this was video shot at a fraternity member's only meeting, but they were singing this with formal dates on the bus. Definitely no expectation of privacy there!

I think Boren has done overkill on this and I think he is more than happy to do so. But I also think he had very little choice in the matter. If he wants to uphold the reputation of OU-- one that he has done a pretty decent job in building-- then he comes down like the Thor's Hammer on this, and he did.

Are you suggesting the lack of privacy is a good thing. If I followed you around in public serruptitiously recording everything you said and did would there be anything you would not want to end up on the internet?

And what part of my statement that Boren has, to this point, done the right thing do you disagree with? And I agree with your statement about what was acceptable 40 years ago isn't necessarily acceptable today. But the degree of political correctness that has suffocated this society has to be frightening for you. If not then I would ask if you have any concern for your kids if this trend continues? It's almost becoming Orwellian as we speak.

And Boren is a hypocrite....plain and simple. That is the basis of my criticism of him.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/10/2015, 01:15 PM
It was bad, and they already had 2 strikes, so it's a pretty obvious strike 3. Kick them off campus. DBo is just being a jackass, though, in kicking them out of their living situation right in the middle of the busiest week of the semester (other than finals week). At least let them use spring break to find new housing. They already have enough things distracting them from their midterms. Like all fraternities, SAE has a mix of great kids and terrible kids. Many members were not involved in this. DBo is selling out his students to save face. Not cool.

Additionally, black people aren't the primary victims of fraternities. Women are. Meanwhile, the fraternity infamous for date-rape is still standing. You're a joke, DBo.
how or why is this the busiest week of the semester outside Finals?

badger
3/10/2015, 01:18 PM
how or why is this the busiest week of the semester outside Finals?
If this is the week before spring break I agree. I usually had midterms and papers due right before the week off. Sometimes professors would be doubly cruel and make papers/exams after spring break so that we wouldn't get the week off, but they would :P

EatLeadCommie
3/10/2015, 01:22 PM
Are you suggesting the lack of privacy is a good thing. If I followed you around in public serruptitiously recording everything you said and did would there be anything you would not want to end up on the internet?

And what part of my statement that Boren has, to this point, done the right thing do you disagree with? And I agree with your statement about what was acceptable 40 years ago isn't necessarily acceptable today. But the degree of political correctness that has suffocated this society has to be frightening for you. If not then I would ask if you have any concern for your kids if this trend continues? It's almost becoming Orwellian as we speak.

And Boren is a hypocrite....plain and simple. That is the basis of my criticism of him.

No, I'm not suggesting that the lack of privacy is a good thing at all. I think it's horrible. I also think it's a way of life for this generation of kids in particular and perhaps-- unfortunately-- every generation going forward. I think about all the dumb stuff I did in HS and college and thank God that cellphone cameras weren't around then. I'd have been up on YouTube before I had even slept off my hangover.

But I also don't think this was some kind of secret recording. It was openly done by at least one person, and when you're doing something idiotic like that in front of people who are not your best buds, you can reasonably expect that it will show up somewhere. Granted, those kids were probably too drunk to think rationally or to even care at the time.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/10/2015, 01:24 PM
The bus was full of pledges on their way to the annual founder's day formal in OKC. Someone's date video's the song and then posted to U-Tube thinking it would be funny. And as you can clearly see in the video the faces of not only some of the fraternity pledges but the DATE's as well. Rest assured the names of the dates and their respective sororities will be discovered and retribution for them will follow.
Stupid, senseless and basically indefensible however if one thinks this type of behavior is unique to OU Greek life they are stupid and naive or both. Also, the recruit we lost committed to Alabama!! A bastion of civil rights and tolerance for those of all color (as long as you can play football).
Kick these idiots (the individuals) who did this off campus, and move on.

Thanks for the updat Katy... I figured it was some formal. Also, I knew the football recruit was a red herring. He was lokking elsewhere, this gave him a face saving way. I am sure Stoops was not unprepared for this kids choice.

BTW, I can't remember when, late 70s, early or late 80s, but didn't SAE get into bad trouble with either pledge hazing, drinking or road trip, something bad happening? I remember lots of For Sale signs being stolen around town and being put onto the SAE front lawn... Could be false memories as wel.

Tear Down This Wall
3/10/2015, 01:54 PM

Hopefully, the Pac-12 will see what a leftist patsy Boren is and extend us another invitation into their conference. Anything that gets us out of the Big 12. Taking down a pointless fraternity in the process would just be a bonus on top of it.

SicEmBaylor
3/10/2015, 02:35 PM
Two expelled:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/state/two-fraternity-members-involved-in-racist-chant-video-expelled-from/article_8fc2d282-d5c3-5113-802e-daba4e963d74.html

Boren's a lawyer and OU's filled with lawyers and a fairly good law school, so I'm sure they know what they're doing.

So the real problem was that they said that SAE would never have an n-word member.... that was discriminatory and prohibited by law.

Lawyers are so tricky

This aspect of it makes me sick. I'm not defending what they said, but that should NOT be grounds for dismissal from the university entirely. Saying 'N1GGER' is not prohibited by law. See? Did I just break the law?

BigTip
3/10/2015, 02:39 PM
The privacy thing is another thing that irks me about this deal. This "atrocity" was committed in private. Not on the radio, or at a talent show, or at a basketball game. This was not observed by a university official. It was almost as private a setting as one's living room.

It sort of makes me think of Russians ratting out their neighbors because they heard anti-party talk through the walls.
"This isn't Russia. Is this Russia? This isn't Russia Danny."

BigTip
3/10/2015, 02:44 PM
This aspect of it makes me sick. I'm not defending what they said, but that should NOT be grounds for dismissal from the university entirely. Saying 'N1GGER' is not prohibited by law. See? Did I just break the law?

Exactly. Where does it stop?
"I hate Obama"
Is that enough to get expelled now?
"I hope the Sooners lose this week."
Is that hate speech (Yes! lol) But it is obviously being said, in Norman at least, to get a rise out of someone.

I just think a line has been crossed and the more people think about it the less of a "hero" Boren is going to be.

aurorasooner
3/10/2015, 03:10 PM
I believe those stupid idiots in the video should be expelled

Now as far as the other guys in that house who weren't on that bus, and may having only been studying for midterms (big if here), I'm not sure throwing them out on street with just a couple of days notice and right before midterms is a credible course of action for the University Prez, unless of course the Univ has found them alternate acceptable living quarters, is paying their moving expenses, and is also refunding their March rent/dues, as it was probably due on the 1st.
Possibly a better course of action would have been for the Univ. to confiscate the house and treat it as dorm with appropriate security thru the rest of the semester, or until April 1st or at least until after spring break/midterms.
I don't know maybe the University gave them the some options, and they said "screw it" we're out of here.

SicEmBaylor
3/10/2015, 03:19 PM
I believe those stupid idiots in the video should be expelled
Based on what, precisely? What law did they break? What policy were they in violation of? It was a private event, and what they said is not illegal distasteful though it may be.

Evidently the Washington Post agrees. If I were an attorney, I'd represent those kids pro-bono. They are going to sue the **** out of OU, and I hope they win.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/03/10/no-a-public-university-may-not-expel-students-for-racist-speech/

FaninAma
3/10/2015, 03:37 PM
Based on what, precisely? What law did they break? What policy were they in violation of? It was a private event, and what they said is not illegal distasteful though it may be.

Evidently the Washington Post agrees. If I were an attorney, I'd represent those kids pro-bono. They are going to sue the **** out of OU, and I hope they win.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/03/10/no-a-public-university-may-not-expel-students-for-racist-speech/

Remember, this is the same man who did everything in his power to sweep the suicide bomber incident at the KSU game a few years back under the rug.

Soonerjeepman
3/10/2015, 03:46 PM
I would imagine some of those kids' parents have some deep pockets and clout. That will result in some lawsuits against being kicked out so soon since they were not involved.

As far as free speech...yup. I'm sure the black frats has never referred to the white kids as "cracker", "whitey"..etc. The problem is white folks don't give a $hit about those names...

aurorasooner
3/10/2015, 03:49 PM
I'm not really sure you have to break any law or even be convicted to be expelled from any university, just break the ambiguous student code.
I do agree with you that the University has probably opened themselves up for a lawsuit(s), especially from the students who were not involved, but were punished.
Those students who were involved probably just want to let it blow over, maybe transfer and/or just move on, though (since it's racial), as any such lawsuit would probably bring out ugly facts that these students (and especially their parents) would just like to remain hidden.
However, I did notice that Boren said the expelled students could appeal, if they wanted to.

FaninAma
3/10/2015, 03:49 PM
And so it starts...Boren slammed for his hypocrisy:
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/oklahoma-stands-tall-against-racism-weak-against-violence-031015

"Oklahoma Stands Tall Against Racism, Weak Against Violence"

You knew that one was coming.

SicEmBaylor
3/10/2015, 03:55 PM
I'm not really sure you have to break any law or even be convicted to be expelled from any university, just break the ambiguous student code.
I do agree with you that the University has probably opened themselves up for a lawsuit(s), especially from the students who were not involved, but were punished.
Those students who were involved probably just want to let it blow over, maybe transfer and/or just move on, though (since it's racial), as any such lawsuit would probably bring out ugly facts that these students (and especially their parents) would just like to remain hidden.
However, I did notice that Boren said the expelled students could appeal, if they wanted to.

What rule in the student code?

SicEmBaylor
3/10/2015, 03:56 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/oklahoma-stands-tall-against-racism-weak-against-violence-031015

Great piece.

BigTip
3/10/2015, 04:02 PM

Look at my first post. I pointed out this hypocrisy. It's just so glaring in it's nature.

From the linked article:
"Punishing people for unpopular opinions is infinitely scarier to me than any unpopular opinion anyone could ever have."
A very good summary of why this entire incident makes me so uncomfortable.

BigTip
3/10/2015, 04:10 PM

The credentials of the writer of this article:

Eugene Volokh teaches free speech law, religious freedom law, church-state relations law, a First Amendment Amicus Brief Clinic, and tort law, at UCLA School of Law, where he has also often taught copyright law, criminal law, and a seminar on firearms regulation policy.

Reading this article just makes me more mad and makes me realize that Boren, and the university, are going to end up paying a lot for their actions.

aurorasooner
3/10/2015, 04:28 PM
What rule in the student code?I don't really have time to do your homework for you right now, but there's a pretty good thread on it over at TD OT lounge. I think this is the link, and it was on page 6 or 7, about half way down.

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/55909799/ou-racism-update-2-students-expelled-over-racist-video

SicEmBaylor
3/10/2015, 06:05 PM
I don't really have time to do your homework for you right now, but there's a pretty good thread on it over at TD OT lounge. I think this is the link, and it was on page 6 or 7, about half way down.

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/55909799/ou-racism-update-2-students-expelled-over-racist-video

2014-2015

VI. Student Responsibilities

Prohibited Conduct
These definitions include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Abusive conduct: Unwelcome conduct that is sufficiently severe and pervasive that it alters the
conditions of education or employment and creates an environment that a reasonable person would
find intimidating, harassing or humiliating. These circumstances could include the frequency of the
conduct, its severity, and whether it is threatening or humiliating. This includes physically abusing
a person or holding a person against his or her will. Simple teasing, offhanded comments and
isolated incidents (unless extremely serious) will not amount to abusive conduct.

That's a pretty flimsy basis for expulsion, but I can see how it could be used and interpreted as the basis for the expelling two students. HOWEVER, here's another issue: Does the Student Code of Conduct apply when a student is neither on university property nor attending a university sponsored function?

Sooner8th
3/10/2015, 07:06 PM
This aspect of it makes me sick. I'm not defending what they said, but that should NOT be grounds for dismissal from the university entirely. Saying 'N1GGER' is not prohibited by law. See? Did I just break the law?You really are one ignorant hypocritical bigot. You and your states rights, sons of the confederacy and war of northern aggression - btw you never did respond to the timing issue you have with lincoln calling up the troops three days AFTER southern traitors attacked Fort Sumter. You had a meltdown freak out when you thought someone was insulting your "southern patriots". You want everyone to be PC with your beloved south but not with shouting the n-word? HUH.............

SicEmBaylor
3/10/2015, 07:23 PM
You really are one ignorant hypocritical bigot. You and your states rights, sons of the confederacy and war of northern aggression - btw you never did respond to the timing issue you have with lincoln calling up the troops three days AFTER southern traitors attacked Fort Sumter. You had a meltdown freak out when you thought someone was insulting your "southern patriots". You want everyone to be PC with your beloved south but not with shouting the n-word? HUH.............

What fact am I ignorant of? I'm also neither hypocritical nor am I a bigot. They are racist pieces of ****, and there is no defending what they said. What bothers me is that you can expel someone for what they said at a public university. I've questioned the legal or university statutory basis for their expulsion, and I believe it sets a dangerous precedent. Expelling someone for exercising their free speech, regardless of the fact that it was racist speech, is disturbing to me. And, yes, I would defend them if I were an attorney.

Now, I don't remember your specific question. I get bored with threads after awhile, and I just stop reading them, but I promise I'm not ducking an argument. I'm more than happy to answer any question you may have. Yes, Lincoln called up troops after Confederate forces fired on a Federal garrison sitting on sovereign South Carolina territory after it had been re-enforced with troops and supplies.

But that's getting off subject here...

Sooner8th
3/10/2015, 09:24 PM
What fact am I ignorant of? I'm also neither hypocritical nor am I a bigot. They are racist pieces of ****, and there is no defending what they said. What bothers me is that you can expel someone for what they said at a public university. I've questioned the legal or university statutory basis for their expulsion, and I believe it sets a dangerous precedent. Expelling someone for exercising their free speech, regardless of the fact that it was racist speech, is disturbing to me. And, yes, I would defend them if I were an attorney.Now, I don't remember your specific question. I get bored with threads after awhile, and I just stop reading them, but I promise I'm not ducking an argument. I'm more than happy to answer any question you may have. Yes, Lincoln called up troops after Confederate forces fired on a Federal garrison sitting on sovereign South Carolina territory after it had been re-enforced with troops and supplies.But that's getting off subject here...You are ignorant of the fact the the word your so gleefully used is used to subjugate and oppress a group of people for more than a hundred years. You beloved southerners started a war over feeling subjugated and oppressed. You are a hypocrite, got your shorts in a wad and proceeded to tell the poster not to insult to the "southern patriots", yet you would defend these guys freedom of speech. Yes you can expel someone a public university for what they said - it is called a code of conduct that you agree to when you enroll. Just because you are going to a public university does not mean you can say anything you want. Funny how blacks were prohibited from attending your beloved south's state supported universities - even though they paid taxes. Of course you don't remember my question, you stated the reason the south attacked sumter was because lincoln called up 75k troops when he in fact called them up three days after your beloved traitors attacked the United States of America. The fort is and was sovereign UNITED STATES OF AMERICA territory and it had been re-enforced with troops and supplies because it was well known your traitors were going to attack it. Let's get one thing clear for you - you live in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Not some states that got together and have rights that supersede the federal government, the Supremacy Clause a provision in Article Six, Clause 2 of our constitution makes that clear.

8timechamps
3/10/2015, 09:28 PM
Already lost us our best recruit and will cost is more.

This didn't "cost" us anything. Delance was never really committed, and was expected to decommit long before this because a story. I'm not saying it didn't play a role, but the kid was never committed and made that pretty clear back in February when Texas made their offer.

SicEmBaylor
3/10/2015, 09:44 PM
Not some states that got together and have rights that supersede the federal government, the Supremacy Clause a provision in Article Six, Clause 2 of our constitution makes that clear.

You've proven that your understanding of Constitutional theory is paper-thin, but I'm always happy to educate the uninformed and uninitiated whenever I can. The Supremacy Clause does not exist as a Constitutional island unto itself. The Supremacy Clause must be consistent with the rest of the United States Constitution; otherwise, the Supremacy Clause would give the Federal government 'carte blanche' to do whatever it pleases at any time. The Framers did not go to the trouble of enumerating the powers of Congress in Article I, Section II only to turn around and write the Supremacy Clause in such a way that gives the Feds absolute authority over the states. Keep in mind, the Constitutional Convention was a state-organized enterprise. The individual states themselves sent delegates to create the document on behalf of the states; in that environment, if you think the states created a clause that ceded ALL authority to the Federal government then you are one special sort of person.

Here is how the Supremacy Clause works since you clearly don't understand the genesis of the clause or its proper function within the Constitution: The Supremacy Clause comes into play when a state passes a law that conflicts with Federal law, but the intent and assumption was that any law passed by the Federal government would be Constitutional; therefore, the Supremacy Clause is only valid if the Federal government has not exceeded its Constitutional authority. It also comes into play when if a state were to exceed its Constitutional authority by passing a law that clearly conflicts with an enumerated power of Congress. For example, if Utah were to pass a law naming an official Ambassador to Japan. Now, all of that is rather beside the point since South Carolina was no longer bound by the tenants of the Constitution since it left the compact entirely. One is not bound by law outside of its own jurisdiction. The state of SC and the Federal government were separate legal and political entities, and Ft. Sumter was sitting square on SC territory.

In any case, the Constitution is a pretty cool document. If you ever get the chance, you should totally try reading and learning a little bit about it. It sure helps when trying to argue the Constitution! Best of luck to you, 8th!

Eielson
3/10/2015, 09:56 PM
This isn't Obamafest.

Sooner8th
3/10/2015, 11:20 PM
You've proven that your understanding of Constitutional theory is paper-thin, but I'm always happy to educate the uninformed and uninitiated whenever I can. The Supremacy Clause does not exist as a Constitutional island unto itself. The Supremacy Clause must be consistent with the rest of the United States Constitution; otherwise, the Supremacy Clause would give the Federal government 'carte blanche' to do whatever it pleases at any time. The Framers did not go to the trouble of enumerating the powers of Congress in Article I, Section II only to turn around and write the Supremacy Clause in such a way that gives the Feds absolute authority over the states. Keep in mind, the Constitutional Convention was a state-organized enterprise. The individual states themselves sent delegates to create the document on behalf of the states; in that environment, if you think the states created a clause that ceded ALL authority to the Federal government then you are one special sort of person.Here is how the Supremacy Clause works since you clearly don't understand the genesis of the clause or its proper function within the Constitution: The Supremacy Clause comes into play when a state passes a law that conflicts with Federal law, but the intent and assumption was that any law passed by the Federal government would be Constitutional; therefore, the Supremacy Clause is only valid if the Federal government has not exceeded its Constitutional authority. It also comes into play when if a state were to exceed its Constitutional authority by passing a law that clearly conflicts with an enumerated power of Congress. For example, if Utah were to pass a law naming an official Ambassador to Japan. Now, all of that is rather beside the point since South Carolina was no longer bound by the tenants of the Constitution since it left the compact entirely. One is not bound by law outside of its own jurisdiction. The state of SC and the Federal government were separate legal and political entities, and Ft. Sumter was sitting square on SC territory.In any case, the Constitution is a pretty cool document. If you ever get the chance, you should totally try reading and learning a little bit about it. It sure helps when trying to argue the Constitution! Best of luck to you, 8th!You proven that your understanding of the constitution is a typical conservative understanding. Strict adherence to the constitution right up until it serves your purposes to drag in other documents, diaries and "understand the genesis of the clause or its proper function within the Constitution" blah blah blah. You completely and totally made my point for me and I thank you for that. Your argument is dependent upon the laws congress passes are constitutional. There is an method for that determination in the constitution - take it to the supreme court, not by states deciding if it is or not. Again the constitution is clear federal law is supreme to state law - hence the name of the clause. Your example is absolutely silly. You obviously do not have a grasp of our history - look at the articles of confederation and why they failed and a stronger union was formed under the constitution. As for some southern BS about the "since South Carolina was no longer bound by the tenants of the Constitution" what a joke. Nowhere in the constitution is there any mechanism for leaving the union. The state of SC and the Federal government were separate legal and political entities - that is true - BUT the laws of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA supersede the law of SC, period - it has been proven time and again. You just can't leave the union - Patrick Henry was apposed to signing the constitution because it replace the sovereignty of the individual states to the federal government. White vs texas after the war confirmed you cannot leave the union. The rules you think are in the constitution are actually in the articles of confederation. You condescendingly tell me twice to go learn about the constitution when it is clear you are viewing it from some southern states rights warped interpretation of it. If you are going to argue with me states rights please, please understand which document has what rules in it. Joining the union is like joining the no longer a virgin club, you might want to leave the club - but it's just not possible, once you're in you are ALWAYS in.

olevetonahill
3/10/2015, 11:42 PM
Has Duberfest , Twisted? Deflected? or spinned ? This ?

Eielson
3/11/2015, 12:28 AM
You proven that your understanding of the constitution is a typical conservative understanding. Strict adherence to the constitution right up until it serves your purposes to drag in other documents, diaries and "understand the genesis of the clause or its proper function within the Constitution" blah blah blah. You completely and totally made my point for me and I thank you for that. Your argument is dependent upon the laws congress passes are constitutional. There is an method for that determination in the constitution - take it to the supreme court, not by states deciding if it is or not. Again the constitution is clear federal law is supreme to state law - hence the name of the clause. Your example is absolutely silly. You obviously do not have a grasp of our history - look at the articles of confederation and why they failed and a stronger union was formed under the constitution. As for some southern BS about the "since South Carolina was no longer bound by the tenants of the Constitution" what a joke. Nowhere in the constitution is there any mechanism for leaving the union. The state of SC and the Federal government were separate legal and political entities - that is true - BUT the laws of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA supersede the law of SC, period - it has been proven time and again. You just can't leave the union - Patrick Henry was apposed to signing the constitution because it replace the sovereignty of the individual states to the federal government. White vs texas after the war confirmed you cannot leave the union. The rules you think are in the constitution are actually in the articles of confederation. You condescendingly tell me twice to go learn about the constitution when it is clear you are viewing it from some southern states rights warped interpretation of it. I you are going to argue with me states rights please, please understand which document has what rules in it. Joining the union is like joining the no longer a virgin club, you might want to leave the club - but it's just not possible, once you're in you are ALWAYS in.

GTFO!

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?37-ObamaFest-2012

SicEmBaylor
3/11/2015, 12:53 AM
You proven that your understanding of the constitution is a typical conservative understanding. Strict adherence to the constitution right up until it serves your purposes to drag in other documents, diaries and "understand the genesis of the clause or its proper function within the Constitution" blah blah blah. You completely and totally made my point for me and I thank you for that. Your argument is dependent upon the laws congress passes are constitutional. There is an method for that determination in the constitution - take it to the supreme court, not by states deciding if it is or not. Again the constitution is clear federal law is supreme to state law - hence the name of the clause. Your example is absolutely silly. You obviously do not have a grasp of our history - look at the articles of confederation and why they failed and a stronger union was formed under the constitution. As for some southern BS about the "since South Carolina was no longer bound by the tenants of the Constitution" what a joke. Nowhere in the constitution is there any mechanism for leaving the union. The state of SC and the Federal government were separate legal and political entities - that is true - BUT the laws of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA supersede the law of SC, period - it has been proven time and again. You just can't leave the union - Patrick Henry was apposed to signing the constitution because it replace the sovereignty of the individual states to the federal government. White vs texas after the war confirmed you cannot leave the union. The rules you think are in the constitution are actually in the articles of confederation. You condescendingly tell me twice to go learn about the constitution when it is clear you are viewing it from some southern states rights warped interpretation of it. I you are going to argue with me states rights please, please understand which document has what rules in it. Joining the union is like joining the no longer a virgin club, you might want to leave the club - but it's just not possible, once you're in you are ALWAYS in.

http://media.giphy.com/media/a3zqvrH40Cdhu/giphy.gif

badger
3/11/2015, 08:57 AM
Saying 'N*****' is not prohibited by law

In the context that it was uttered it can be argued that it was in violation of student codes prohibiting discrimination based on race. Saying that a black man would never be a member of an OU-sanctioned group is in violation of a code I mentioned either on this thread or the football one.

As mentioned earlier, one could also argue that "hang him from a tree" could be considered a death threat, but I am not arguing that, and the university does not seem to be, either. OU seems to be taking the discriminatory stance of exclusion based on race for expulsion here.

I doubt that the students, nor their families, will fight this. It sounds like they've been getting death threats and media pestering non-stop since the video surfaced instead, so a full plate without worrying about futures in college, here or elsewhere.

Tear Down This Wall
3/11/2015, 09:40 AM

What's the old saying, "You reap what you sow"?

There was nothing good in Stoops taking on known drug dealers and woman abusers. Win at all cost...but don't say "n*gger."

Ton Loc
3/11/2015, 10:10 AM

There was nothing good in Stoops taking on known drug dealers and woman abusers. Win at all cost...but don't say "n*gger."

Jesus - No ****. This is the point it always has been. You can say and do what you want based on a number of things. Are you an athlete that will help us win and bring in the money? Good - you'll get a lot more rope. Are you an idiot white kid no one really gives two ****s about who just said some racist **** on a video? Great - get the f* out.

I wonder where all this false outrage comes from on both sides when we all know the rules.

badger
3/11/2015, 10:42 AM
Are you an athlete that will help us win and bring in the money?
On one hand, he suspends Joe Mixon and Frank Shannon last season. On the other, he was for DGB to be immediately eligible.

I'd like to ignore the fact that we had a stud at running back and didn't need Mixon, but were thin at WR and needed DGB... I really, really like to ignore that and think that there's other circumstances going on that we are unaware of that made DGB's transgressions less suspension-worthy than Mixon/Shannon. :(

This situation is forcing us all to take a long look in the mirror. Is there other areas where OU comes up short where we should be holding ourselves to a higher standard?

FaninAma
3/11/2015, 10:53 AM
Was Mixon expelled? Did DBo come out and publically state how OU wouldn't tolerate this sort of behavior from an OU student? Yeah, Boren and the OU coaching staff look pretty weak in this entire mess.

I was actually in support of giving Mixon a second chance but after seeing how Boren totally destroyed the students involved in this video and took punitive actions against a lot of members who didn't have anything to do with the video I became keenly aware of his hypocrisy.

dwarthog
3/11/2015, 11:00 AM

One is a crime against humanity, the other is just the way we roll.

Ton Loc
3/11/2015, 11:08 AM
Was Mixon expelled? Did DBo come out and publically state how OU wouldn't tolerate this sort of behavior from an OU student? Yeah, Boren and the OU coaching staff look pretty weak in this entire mess.

I was actually in support of giving Mixon a second chance but after seeing how Boren totally destroyed the students involved in this video and took punitive actions against a lot of members who didn't have anything to do with the video I became keenly aware of his hypocrisy.

A bit devil's advocate, but is it really hypocrisy?
You can say every situation is different and is based on its own merits. Football is football. The season will continue, people will watch, and people easily forget someone's past transgressions based on their performance on the field.

The kids in this video or associated with the video bring none of that to the table.

Boren, Stoops, everyone at the university make their decisions based on the all those facts and how much flack the university will take vs how much money they stand to make or lose based on their decisions. It all depends on which way the media (Is it a slow news week) and the people who should have better things to do (almost everyone on earth) are feeling that week.

Not shocking - everyone makes decisions this way.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/11/2015, 11:24 AM
You know, attending OU or any other institution is a priviledge. It can be extended or revoked. Nothing guarenteeing admission or continuation except as outlined by the institution. The kids did bad, DBo made a decision that I am sure is sound from their interpretation of the student code and admission policies and I am sure a legal review. I wish the best for the kids involved and hope they learn, repent truly and move on in life. As a GDI, I was not greek nor did I think much of the greek system, but that's me, it didn't fit me. But I think there is muchin the IFC that can be improved to reduce the testoterone levels in the IFC membership...

I have slammed DBo hard for his actions around the Pride and meddling by regent wizenheimer. I respect DBo for his decisiveness and concern for OU. This was particularly outrageous and needed to be addressed quickly, not linger.

badger
3/11/2015, 12:57 PM
I have just heard reports about plans to rally outside one a former OU SAE student's house in Dallas. I just cannot fathom what that family is going through. The media apparently have been outside the house for awhile as well.

At least this mistake wasn't a fatal one. The former student isn't going to jail; nobody was physically hurt. If that's any consolation... it probably isn't.

FaninAma
3/11/2015, 01:26 PM
I have just heard reports about plans to rally outside one a former OU SAE student's house in Dallas. I just cannot fathom what that family is going through. The media apparently have been outside the house for awhile as well.

At least this mistake wasn't a fatal one. The former student isn't going to jail; nobody was physically hurt. If that's any consolation... it probably isn't.

You know why. That's what a lot of otherwise reasonable people are getting really tired of. BTW, did anybody watch Eric Stryker's video response to this incident? He, IMO, threw the University and its student body under the bus. It sure wasn't a supportive message at all. The entitlement attitude of some in OU's student-athlete contingent is starting to wear a bit thin.

Tear Down This Wall
3/11/2015, 01:53 PM
On one hand, he suspends Joe Mixon and Frank Shannon last season. On the other, he was for DGB to be immediately eligible.

I'd like to ignore the fact that we had a stud at running back and didn't need Mixon, but were thin at WR and needed DGB... I really, really like to ignore that and think that there's other circumstances going on that we are unaware of that made DGB's transgressions less suspension-worthy than Mixon/Shannon. :(

This situation is forcing us all to take a long look in the mirror. Is there other areas where OU comes up short where we should be holding ourselves to a higher standard?

"This situation is forcing us all to take a long look in the mirror."

Not really. If you have been opposed to taking on drug dealers and women beaters from the get-go, there is no soul searching to do. Saying "n*gger" isn't illegal; but, it is highly poor form. And, given the day and age we live in, very stupid. While I know there are pointless First Amendment arguments to make, I support the decision to have the kids thrown out of school and to have the fraternity shut down.

The problem of how others perceive OU due to the hypocrisy of allowing drug dealers and women beaters to stay because they are athletes is nothing but expected. Boren and Stoops threw themselves into the SAE mess publicly, so it goes without saying that their past tolerance of other, actual illegal, transgressions will come under the microscope.

I love OU, but I simply think the moral compass of Boren/Castiglione/Stoops is broken. You either encourage moral behavior at all times or you do not. That is called having character. Those guys have not shown it much over the past 18-24 months, in my opinion.

When you make exceptions to the rule, expect to be bit in the butt by it later. These guys, Boren/Castiglione/Stoops, have made several exceptions lately, then threw themselves into the SAE/"n*gger" thing. It reeks of sanctimony and hypocrisy.

Tear Down This Wall
3/11/2015, 02:05 PM
Oh, yeah...and, remember, the athlete who was allowed to stay after breaking a girl's face started that confrontation with a slur against gays.

So, again, welcome to scrutiny Monsieurs Boren, Castiglione, and Stoops.

badger
3/11/2015, 02:06 PM
BTW, did anybody watch Eric Stryker's video response to this incident?
I did and to Striker's credit he apologized for it soon after. To the former OU SAE students' credit a few of them or their families have issued public apologies as well.

I love OU, but I simply think the moral compass of Boren/Castiglione/Stoops is broken
This is why I said it might be time to look in the mirror. Is what we're doing always the right thing, sometimes the right thing or are we continuing to do the wrong things all of the time. What do we need to change about ourselves.

aurorasooner
3/11/2015, 02:08 PM
You know why. That's what a lot of otherwise reasonable people are getting really tired of. BTW, did anybody watch Eric Stryker's video response to this incident? He, IMO, threw the University and its student body under the bus. It sure wasn't a supportive message at all. The entitlement attitude of some in OU's student-athlete contingent is starting to wear a bit thin.I watched the social media video, and my personal opinions are 1) These athletes need to just completely stay off social media 2) if they do decide to give their 2 cents worth on social media they need to speak coherently and somewhat intelligently and 3) they definitely need to leave all the F-bombs in their dorm room or at practice because any profanity laced spew picked up and broadcast by the national media just makes them look "dumber than a box of rocks" and negatively reflects on themselves and any institution of higher leaning they attend.
Honestly and imo, that first social media video that was broadcast by our athlete was equally as bad as the one by the SAEs on the bus, and played right into the hands as to what those national media sensationalists were looking for.
Now the 2nd live interview where he calmly speaks and apologizes for the first profanity laced social media video was pretty decent.

As far as any rally outside of one of the homes of the SAE expelled student, that's just ridiculous. Give it a rest. The situation has been handled adequately with the expulsions of the students, the revoking of that frats charter/expulsion from the campus/ and the offending frat house closure, imo

Tear Down This Wall
3/11/2015, 02:25 PM
I did and to Striker's credit he apologized for it soon after. To the former OU SAE students' credit a few of them or their families have issued public apologies as well.

This is why I said it might be time to look in the mirror. Is what we're doing always the right thing, sometimes the right thing or are we continuing to do the wrong things all of the time. What do we need to change about ourselves.

I've given the answer to this question since the 2011 conference shuffling fiasco that left us in the Big 12 and put Mizzou, of all schools, in the SEC: Change Leadership. Honestly, Mizzou was just like drawing a name blindly from a hat. Yet, their leadership wasn't stupid enough to turn down the offer of a lifetime. To this day, awful. Just awful.

Turd_Ferguson
3/11/2015, 02:39 PM
Honky power!!!

BetterSoonerThanLater
3/11/2015, 03:33 PM
A blatant boldfaced out and out LIE. You never asked me a thing and I never said it was bush's fault - two lies in 11 words, you should work for faux "news". You gleefully started an entire thread calling me a liar when I wrongly said I got faux "news" from you. That was a mistake of memory - this is a LIE. Lying idiot.

just when i thought you couldn't be a bigger idiot.... everyone on this board knows Vet didn't actually talk to you, you dumbass...he was making fun of you. damn you're dense. if you think he was trying to pass that statement off as fact, you really are a bigger, more sensative assclown that i orignally had thought.

How many times do you have to be told....you and your antics are a joke!---literally!

Nice job Vet! you got a big one there.

BigTip
3/11/2015, 03:47 PM
Saying "n*gger" isn't illegal; but, it is highly poor form. And, given the day and age we live in, very stupid.

The more I think about all this the more I am convinced that Boren is very wrong.

What these kids did was stupid, yes, very stupid. But it's not a crime. It was said in a private, non-university sponsored setting. Are they going to start throwing every stupid kid that does something stupid out of the university? There won't be many students left.

On top of that, the song can't even be taken seriously. That chapter of SAE has had black members. So even the singer knows what he was singing was not to be taken seriously.

It's turned into such a witch hunt. I can just see it expanding.
"Hello, President Boren's office? Yes, I just heard my neighbor say the N word to somebody on his cell phone. You will expel him, right?"
"What's that? You want me to try and find out who he was talking to also? Let me get back to you."

Geeez!

badger
3/11/2015, 04:32 PM
What these kids did was stupid, yes, very stupid
I know that this is a serious discussion of serious tone, but I think a university president should discourage stupidity at an institute of higher learning. ONLY SMART KIDS AT OUR UNIVERSITY ;)

Tear Down This Wall
3/11/2015, 07:47 PM
The more I think about all this the more I am convinced that Boren is very wrong.

What these kids did was stupid, yes, very stupid. But it's not a crime. It was said in a private, non-university sponsored setting. Are they going to start throwing every stupid kid that does something stupid out of the university? There won't be many students left.

On top of that, the song can't even be taken seriously. That chapter of SAE has had black members. So even the singer knows what he was singing was not to be taken seriously.

It's turned into such a witch hunt. I can just see it expanding.
"Hello, President Boren's office? Yes, I just heard my neighbor say the N word to somebody on his cell phone. You will expel him, right?"
"What's that? You want me to try and find out who he was talking to also? Let me get back to you."

Geeez!

But, take heart...football players, off campus and in a non-university sponsored setting, can throw around gay slurs and break women's faces. In these situations, obviously, Boren is content to let the legal process work itself out.

You see how that works, right? No crime committed, slur made, non-football playing students = expelled. Crime committed, slur made, football playing student = suspended, allowed to stay in school and go to classes, invited to rejoin the team eight months later...with scholarship still in place.

We were not paying for the SAE kids' college; but, we are paying for the football player.

See there? Pretty tricky, right? Slick stuff.

That's David Boren's world. Move along. Nothing to see here.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/11/2015, 07:54 PM
So, you trying to get white frat boys AND scholarship football players expelled? If you're just trying to get Boren in trouble, fat chance!

Eielson
3/11/2015, 10:55 PM
LOL @ TDTW pretending like he's above gay slurs.

Tear Down This Wall
3/12/2015, 09:58 AM
LOL @ TDTW pretending like he's above gay slurs.

They mean nothing to me. But, to the David Borens of the world, they mean everything...unless one of his school's football players uses them. Then, it is swept under the rug.

Tear Down This Wall
3/12/2015, 09:59 AM
So, you trying to get white frat boys AND scholarship football players expelled? If you're just trying to get Boren in trouble, fat chance!

Yes, both.

badger
3/12/2015, 11:42 AM
Speaking of football players, they're taking another day off and it sounds like they won't practice again till march 25
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/ou-football-team-cancels-thursday-practice-releases-strongly-worded-statement/article_86a446e2-c0c9-5599-b6b1-9d12ee6d8fdd.html

Tear Down This Wall
3/12/2015, 11:54 AM
Speaking of football players, they're taking another day off and it sounds like they won't practice again till march 25
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/ou-football-team-cancels-thursday-practice-releases-strongly-worded-statement/article_86a446e2-c0c9-5599-b6b1-9d12ee6d8fdd.html

Wow. Do they not teach kids how to use paragraphs anymore? You hope that was written by a freshman who has not taken any English classes yet. Although, I fear it was probably the handiwork of an upperclassman who has gotten not only all the way through high school without learning how to write, but through two or three years at OU as well. Terrible. Worse, yet, probably a "communications" major.

Beyond that, they are missing the violence-against-women angle due to their own teammate breaking a girl's face last summer. Further proof that they pick and choose what to be morally outraged about.

But, when the adult leaders above them, Boren/Stoops/Castiglione, are hypocrites about such things, you have to admit they learned well from them.

FaninAma
3/12/2015, 01:38 PM
Boren has created an environment now that any group with an ax to grind will bludgeon OU with a PC club because they know Boren will dance like a puppet to their complaints. The next few months are going to be interesting.

badger
3/12/2015, 01:43 PM
I admit that I am surprised that the football team has not returned to practice yet. The day after 9/11 we had OU professors telling us students (classes were held as scheduled) that it's sad, scary, and even anger provoking, but part of recovery is going on and living your life.

FaninAma
3/12/2015, 02:23 PM
I admit that I am surprised that the football team has not returned to practice yet. The day after 9/11 we had OU professors telling us students (classes were held as scheduled) that it's sad, scary, and even anger provoking, but part of recovery is going on and living your life.
That's so insensitive of you. Of course a bunch of stupid drunken frat boys saying something racist is more traumatic than a terrorist attack in which 3000 residents of this country died.

Tear Down This Wall
3/12/2015, 02:27 PM
Boren has created an environment now that any group with an ax to grind will bludgeon OU with a PC club because they know Boren will dance like a puppet to their complaints. The next few months are going to be interesting.

Unless, of course, there is an ax to grind with the conduct of a football player. Then, the case will be deferred to either OU's internal system or the legal system, whichever takes precedent in the transgression. Then, Boren/Castiglione/Stoops will be all about the player being "just a kid who made a mistake" and needing to give him a "second chance."

badger
3/12/2015, 04:15 PM
That's so insensitive of you. Of course a bunch of stupid drunken frat boys saying something racist is more traumatic than a terrorist attack in which 3000 residents of this country died.
Of course, I'm sure students were still expected to do midterms and turn in research papers this week as well, so maybe it's not a fair comparison (and yes I noted your sarcasm no worries).

Boren will dance like a puppet to their complaints
Boren loves to negotiate. I remember two moms protesting outside his office in the mid-aughts when he was getting ready to institute a rule that all freshmen had to live on campus for a year... and he invited them inside to talk. There's been similar instances where's backed down from hard lines after student paper editorials; student protests or other problems brought to his attention.

Maybe instead of comparing this situation to Joe Mixon, a situation where most of us haven't seen the video; we should compare this situation to Josh Jarboe, where we've all seen the video. Jarboe was immediately dismissed from OU, just like the frat guys.

Maybe if they publicly released the Mixon tape, he'd be gone too. Maybe the common denominator here isn't the crime, but rather, the size of the audience.

FaninAma
3/12/2015, 04:58 PM
Badger, sorry to get so worked up. I posted on the thread in the football forum about this. Essentially the frenzy surrounding racial slights has gotten ridiculous. It is never going to stop. Those who like playing the race card will never stop. It will be used to indict entire classes of people and the institutions they support. It will be used as an excuse for other groups to not take a hard look at their own mistakes and bad decisions that have contributed to their personal positions in society. It is a crutch that is also used as a club.

I look at my kids and see how crazy the PC lynch mobs have become and wonder where the hell it will be when they are my age. I know your child is a lot younger than my own children so I am sure you worry about things like that, too. It's just gotten so tiresome and old. And it drives me crazy to see a supposed leader of young people like David Boren caving to this type of insanity. Leaders are supposed to stand up and do the right thing. They don't worry about criticism and naysayers. They do what is right and fair and they are CONSISTENT in how they deal with those under their supervision.

Throwing 100 young men out on the streets without even a hint of due process is not something a leader does. Going hat in hand to talk to the primadonnas on the football team to sooth their butt hurt is not what a leader does.

Eielson
3/12/2015, 06:22 PM
Not necessarily condoning the protest (SAE was kicked off campus, and the members in the video (as well as their family) fear for their lives...what more do you want?), but 9/11 was a way different situation. Failing to move on with your life wasn't a reasonable way to stick it to the terrorists.

SicEmBaylor
3/12/2015, 06:44 PM
You can be almost anything in this country except for a racist. Murderers gain forgiveness easier than a racist in our society. The reaction people have to it is entirely disproportionate to what it is. That's the real reason for Boren's actions and the real reason there's such a disconnect between his reaction to this and the Mixon case. There is no middle-ground or sense of proportionality when the issue involves race. Everything is either '0' or '100.' It isn't enough to reprimand the students for their behavior -- they have to be completely thrown out of college, their lives threatened, protests at their door, and the rest of their lives marred and possibly even ruined.

A former poster here, I won't say who, actually called it a 'verbal lynching.' I haven't heard anything so ridiculous in all my life -- what an insult to actual victims of real lynchings.

Turd_Ferguson
3/12/2015, 07:45 PM
You can be almost anything in this country except for a racist. Murderers gain forgiveness easier than a racist in our society. The reaction people have to it is entirely disproportionate to what it is. That's the real reason for Boren's actions and the real reason there's such a disconnect between his reaction to this and the Mixon case. There is no middle-ground or sense of proportionality when the issue involves race. Everything is either '0' or '100.' It isn't enough to reprimand the students for their behavior -- they have to be completely thrown out of college, their lives threatened, protests at their door, and the rest of their lives marred and possibly even ruined.

A former poster here, I won't say who, actually called it a 'verbal lynching.' I haven't heard anything so ridiculous in all my life -- what an insult to actual victims of real lynchings.

Concur.

olevetonahill
3/12/2015, 08:11 PM

You mean be a WHITE racist right? Cause look at Jackasson and Sharpless .

SicEmBaylor
3/12/2015, 08:19 PM
You mean be a WHITE racist right? Cause look at Jackasson and Sharpless .

Correct, yes. You're absolutely right.

hawaii 5-0
3/12/2015, 11:58 PM
Not sure what part of 'hang 'em from a tree' y'all agree with.

All of it ???

5-0

FaninAma
3/13/2015, 09:10 AM

All of it ???

5-0

Yes, we agree with all of it. We want to go out and hang black people from trees. Is that really what you gleaned from this discussion? Pretty damn weak 5-0, even from you.

Eielson
3/13/2015, 09:18 AM

All of it ???

5-0

Do you think we should stop hanging black people from trees?

dwarthog
3/13/2015, 09:21 AM

All of it ???

5-0

So you have issues with rap artist's lyrics talking about killing people, raping and beating women?

olevetonahill
3/13/2015, 10:06 AM

All of it ???

5-0

Yes, we agree with all of it. We want to go out and hang black people from trees. Is that really what you gleaned from this discussion? Pretty damn weak 5-0, even from you.

Do you think we should stop hanging black people from trees?

How he got that I havnt a clue, but it seems he thinks Blacks should be hung in a More humane way , Like with a scaffold.Its racist to just use a tree anymore.

Turd_Ferguson
3/13/2015, 10:17 AM
Wonder will the ACLU stand up for the students that got expelled. After all, isn't there 1st amendment rights being trampled?

Tear Down This Wall
3/13/2015, 10:29 AM
Wonder will the ACLU stand up for the students that got expelled. After all, isn't there 1st amendment rights being trampled?

They have already said they don't believe there is a First Amendment issue. Laughable. But, on par for the ACLU. Only leftist need apply.

BigTip
3/13/2015, 10:47 AM
But it is a First Amendment issue.

Students don't have certain rights, granted. A kid in a class cannot say, "**** you" to the guy next to him. There is a code of conduct that prevents that.
But if a teacher is passing by those same students in a PUBLIC park and hears the exact same thing, there is nothing he can do in an official capacity.

I contend that these idiots were NOT on university property, NOT doing a university sponsored activity, and were NOT interacting with any other people besides those that accepted the "risks" of any potentially offensive behaviors demonstrated by them when they got on that bus as invited guests.

Would there have been this much of an uproar if the song was about Baptists? Maybe a ditty about drowning them in a river? I think not. What if it was about how much they hated Longhorns, or Republicans, or fat people?

You cannot legislate morality. Or intelligence. But you can legislate freedom of speech and thought. This incident is extremely disturbing to me. I feel that society has already gone over the cliff, but this sort of action just quickens the slide down.

badger
3/13/2015, 11:00 AM
I look at my kids and see how crazy the PC lynch mobs have become and wonder where the hell it will be when they are my age. I know your child is a lot younger than my own children so I am sure you worry about things like that, too. It's just gotten so tiresome and old.
I learned very quickly that my child will repeat everything I do and say if I am not careful, so I better not say or do anything I don't want her to repeat.

It's a good means to live by in some respects. If you don't want others to use certain language, don't say it yourself. Likewise, if seeing continuous rallies from campus to cancelled football practices to a Dallas family house with nobody home seems excessive to you, don't partake and don't encourage such actions. If you think it's time to move forward, make sure you, yourself are as well.

Me? I think I've discussed this to death and unless there's some major update, look for me somewhere between vBookie and basketball board involving our awesome OU basketball team.

Boomer Sooner!

olevetonahill
3/13/2015, 11:08 AM
Lawsuit a coming, And Prolly be filed by our frind Timmy McVeighs attorney

http://www.newson6.com/story/28457447/possible-lawsuit-against-ou-boren-over-sae-incident

Turd_Ferguson
3/13/2015, 11:23 AM

http://www.newson6.com/story/28457447/possible-lawsuit-against-ou-boren-over-sae-incident

They'll win.

3/13/2015, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by hawaii 5-0
All of it ???
5-0
Yes, we agree with all of it. We want to go out and hang black people from trees. Is that really what you gleaned from this discussion? Pretty damn weak 5-0, even from you.His taste in music is good.

Tear Down This Wall
3/13/2015, 12:06 PM
But it is a First Amendment issue.

Students don't have certain rights, granted. A kid in a class cannot say, "**** you" to the guy next to him. There is a code of conduct that prevents that.
But if a teacher is passing by those same students in a PUBLIC park and hears the exact same thing, there is nothing he can do in an official capacity.

I contend that these idiots were NOT on university property, NOT doing a university sponsored activity, and were NOT interacting with any other people besides those that accepted the "risks" of any potentially offensive behaviors demonstrated by them when they got on that bus as invited guests.

Would there have been this much of an uproar if the song was about Baptists? Maybe a ditty about drowning them in a river? I think not. What if it was about how much they hated Longhorns, or Republicans, or fat people?

You cannot legislate morality. Or intelligence. But you can legislate freedom of speech and thought. This incident is extremely disturbing to me. I feel that society has already gone over the cliff, but this sort of action just quickens the slide down.

You can legislate morality. That's why there are laws against drug use, how much alcohol you can have in your blood, whether or not you can sell you body for sex, whether or not you can use your body to assault, or to take the property of others. And, the list - much like the beat - goes on.

The problem here is easy:

Words, off-campus, private setting, non-athlete = expelled
Words, assault, off-campus, private setting, athlete = suspended for six months

And, yes, I wrote SIX MONTHS. Mixon was not suspended from the team for a year, as is being incorrectly reported. He was suspended in April and back in the team in February. I don't care whose calendar you are using, that's not a "year."

olevetonahill
3/13/2015, 12:20 PM
You can legislate morality. That's why there are laws against drug use, how much alcohol you can have in your blood, whether or not you can sell you body for sex, whether or not you can use your body to assault, or to take the property of others. And, the list - much like the beat - goes on.

The problem here is easy:

Words, off-campus, private setting, non-athlete = expelled
Words, assault, off-campus, private setting, athlete - suspended for six months

And, yes, I wrote SIX MONTHS. Mixon was not suspended from the team for a year, as is being incorrectly reported. He was suspended in April and back in the team in February. I don't care whose calendar you are using, that's not a "year."

Aint 6 months either Einstein!

hawaii 5-0
3/13/2015, 12:50 PM
How he got that I havnt a clue, but it seems he thinks Blacks should be hung in a More humane way , Like with a scaffold.Its racist to just use a tree anymore.

I was just curious to see how many of y'all have white hoods in your closets.

5-0

aurorasooner
3/13/2015, 12:53 PM

Read that article earlier along with Boren's reply that the double-standard SAE/Mixon was hogwash. Also that the ACLU has backtracked and are now saying that this may be a 1st Amend issue.

As far as an SAE lawsuit goes, about the only one making chicken salad out of chicken(*& in this will be the attorneys. The frat will still be a leper in the OU community, but it will give them a way to come back in a couple of years once the flak has died down if they want to, assuming that Boren has retired that is.

I just wonder what's going to happen to their house. I was surprised to read that OU owns the house and leases it to the Sig
Alphs. Didn't know that. Seems like that made it easier for OU to kick their in-house members out on the street with such short notice.

Turd_Ferguson
3/13/2015, 01:11 PM
Seems like that made it easier for OU to kick their in-house members out on the street with such short notice.

Yes, because we all know how easy it is for a property owner to evict their renter/leaser...

olevetonahill
3/13/2015, 01:20 PM

5-0

And ya go making asinine assumptions :sour:

aurorasooner
3/13/2015, 01:22 PM
Yes, because we all know how easy it is for a property owner to evict their renter/leaser...Chit. I'd be so pizzed if I was an in-house member of that house who had absolutely zero to do with those noodle-brained pledges and had to pack up all my stuff on Mon/Tue of the school week and find alternate housing while in the middle of studying for midterms.
Probably wouldn't have taken me long to pack up though. About all I had back then was a 2 channel stereo, a huge 15 inch TV, some jeans, t-shirts, a bookcase made out of concrete blocks and discarded non-stained wood planks, one cold weather jacket and some misc other ugly furniture that the Goodwill would have thrown out.

Turd_Ferguson
3/13/2015, 01:30 PM
Chit. I'd be so pizzed if I was an in-house member of that house who had absolutely zero to do with those noodle-brained pledges and had to pack up all my stuff on Mon/Tue of the school week and find alternate housing while in the middle of studying for midterms.
Probably wouldn't have taken me long to pack up though. About all I had back then was a stereo, some jeans, t-shirts, one cold weather jacket and some misc other ugly furniture that the Goodwill would have thrown out.

I would've been pissed too. That's why I think Boren was wrong about shutting it down and why I'm sure some lawsuits could be justified against OU. The old typical liberal knee jerk reaction is probably gonna come back to bite him in the ace.

Tear Down This Wall
3/13/2015, 01:33 PM

(1) September
(2) October
(3) November
(4) December
(5) January
(6) February

March - back practicing with the team...or, skipping practices along with his teammates.

aurorasooner
3/13/2015, 01:47 PM
March - back practicing with the team...or, skipping practices along with his teammates.Oak Tree and Southern Hills must have been running a Spring 2 for 1 "College Coach's - Lower Your Handicap Special" this week.

FaninAma
3/13/2015, 02:34 PM

5-0

I'll give you the number if you tell us how many copies of the Communist Manifesto you keep in yours.

3/13/2015, 03:02 PM

5-0"how the Libs earned their reputation."

You should make your comment be your new sig.

aurorasooner
3/13/2015, 03:03 PM
Just got a text that S. Jones, the attorney representing the OU SAEs, was speaking to the Ok press and it was being carried by CNN. Missed it. Anyone watch it,ie is this house taking OU/Boren to litigation?

okie52
3/13/2015, 03:21 PM

5-0

So now you're against hoodies?

okie52
3/13/2015, 03:21 PM
On Thursday, the American Civil Liberties Union of Oklahoma said:

"Any sanction imposed on students for their speech must ... be consistent with the First Amendment and not merely a punishment for vile and reprehensible speech; courts have consistently and rightly ruled as such. Absent information that is not at our disposal, it is difficult to imagine a situation in which a court would side with the university on this matter."

http://newsok.com/ousted-university-of-oklahoma-fraternity-hires-prominent-attorney-stephen-jones/article/5401059

FaninAma
3/13/2015, 03:22 PM
Just got a text that S. Jones, the attorney representing the OU SAEs, was speaking to the Ok press and it was being carried by CNN. Missed it. Anyone watch it,ie is this house taking OU/Boren to litigation?

Yeah, this was easy to predict. When you go around breaking knee caps without due process you should expect a few repurcussions.

olevetonahill
3/13/2015, 03:24 PM
Words, assault, off-campus, private setting, athlete = suspended for six months

(1) September
(2) October
(3) November
(4) December
(5) January
(6) February

March - back practicing with the team...or, skipping practices along with his teammates.

So yer just throwing out April thru Sept? ya dont think those months of nOT being with the team, Not able to use any of the facility's count?
Dayum yer a Moran also aint ya?

okie52
3/13/2015, 03:27 PM
Yeah, this was easy to predict. When you go around breaking knee caps without due process you should expect a few repurcussions.

Labeling all of the house members as bigots was very presidential of Boren.

olevetonahill
3/13/2015, 03:32 PM
Labeling all of the house members as bigots was very presidential of Boren.

Seems like there might be a case for Libel or Slander there also.

okie52
3/13/2015, 03:39 PM
So let's see...within 48 hours

Expelled 2 students for "creating an atmosphere hostile to education".

Shutdown the entire SAE house

Gave them roughly 24 hours to move out

Denied the use of student services to any SAE members to help them relocate because he won't help bigots.

And, yesterday, created a new position as VP of diversity.

Announced a further investigation into the Executive officers of SAE and their culpability in the video.

Will meet with OU student athletes to discuss their concerns.

Yet, he hasn't found time to address:

OU students in Greek houses being targeted after racist video

http://www.koco.com/news/ou-students-in-greek-houses-being-targeted-after-racist-video/31742134

OU fraternities, sororities told not to wear Greek letters on campus

http://www.koco.com/news/ou-students-in-greek-houses-being-targeted-after-racist-video/31742134

I'm sure Boren will be along shortly to show his outrage for this type of behavior. After all, he just expelled two students for creating a "hostile educational environment for others".

rock on sooner
3/13/2015, 03:52 PM

Saw most of the presser that CNN carried...they cut away before it was finished...
What I got from it...the two pledges withdrew from school, not expelled...the national
fraternity closed the house, not Boren. Jones wants to settle the issues without going
to trial. He does NOT represent the two pledges, but, (a little fuzzy here) a group of
the other members and is concerned about their safety, 4th and 14th Amendment
violations....some of the other questions asked I couldn't hear so the answers he gave
were mostly lawyer talk....

FaninAma
3/13/2015, 03:54 PM

Expelled 2 students for "creating an atmosphere hostile to education".

Shutdown the entire SAE house

Gave them roughly 24 hours to move out

Denied the use of student services to any SAE members to help them relocate because he won't help bigots.

And, yesterday, created a new position as VP of diversity.

Announced a further investigation into the Executive officers of SAE and their culpability in the video.

Will meet with OU student athletes to discuss their concerns.

Yet, he hasn't found time to address:

I'm sure Boren will be along shortly to show his outrage for this type of behavior. After all, he just expelled two students for creating a "hostile educational environment for others".

That about sums up this crap to a "T". It was the idiot racists and clan members who went around terrorizing others 60 years ago. Now it is the radical leftists. It's not enough to beat them down with PC clubs....they also have to resort to vandalism, intimidation and violence. MLK's message has been bastardized by the race baiters on the left and the level of hostility has been ratcheted up by idiots like Holder and Obama and supposed leaders like Boren make it worse by caving in to the race baiters.

SicEmBaylor
3/13/2015, 03:58 PM
That about sums up this crap to a "T". It was the idiot racists and clan members who went around terrorizing others 60 years ago. Now it is the radical leftists. It's not enough to beat them down with PC clubs....they also have to resort vandalism, intimidation and violence. MLK's message has been bastardized by the race baiters on the left and the level of hostility has been ratcheted up by idiots like Holder and Obama and supposed leaders like Boren make it worse by caving in to the race baiters.

Completely agreed. This response is disproportionate to the crime. I would fully understand suspending the fraternity for a finite amount of time. Some sort of reprimand of the individual students is something that I could understand as well. But this? This is disproportionate to the crime.

Like I said, you can be almost anything as long as it isn't a racist. The last person lynched in this country was in 1956, but you have white-guilt liberals running around acting as if we're all on the cusp of re-instituting Jim Crow and hanging people from tree limbs.

okie52
3/13/2015, 04:01 PM
Saw most of the presser that CNN carried...they cut away before it was finished...
What I got from it...the two pledges withdrew from school, not expelled...the national
fraternity closed the house, not Boren. Jones wants to settle the issues without going
to trial. He does NOT represent the two pledges, but, (a little fuzzy here) a group of
the other members and is concerned about their safety, 4th and 14th Amendment
violations....some of the other questions asked I couldn't hear so the answers he gave
were mostly lawyer talk....

I knew one pledge/member withdrew, I hadn't heard about the other.

The National did cut ties with the house before Boren did. They also suspended all members so they may have problems of their own. But Boren indicated he was severing all ties with the house and giving them 24 hrs. to move out.

I don't think either expelled/withdrawn student will sue. I think they want this to go away and sueing would just keep it and them in the headlines.

My guess would be most SAE members and alums are most pissed about Boren labeling all of them bigots and denying student services for relocation to all members.

olevetonahill
3/13/2015, 04:02 PM
Completely agreed. This response is disproportionate to the crime. I would fully understand suspending the fraternity for a finite amount of time. Some sort of reprimand of the individual students is something that I could understand as well. But this? This is disproportionate to the crime.

Like I said, you can be almost anything as long as it isn't a racist. The last person lynched in this country was in 1956, but you have white-guilt liberals running around acting as if we're all on the cusp of re-instituting Jim Crow and hanging people from tree limbs.

By You referring to this as a Crime. Takes away from a a persons Free speech.
jes sayin

aurorasooner
3/13/2015, 04:06 PM

Surely you made this up and our Univ Prez didn't actually do this. That's just so wrong, imo, to label all of those guys as bigots w/o some kind of investigation, but perhaps the University had an investigation this week and concluded all of these kids were bigots. Seems rather unlikely though.

As far as the other houses, especially those immediately around the SAE house, I'm not sure they want any SAE members back in that house (if their lawyer filed some kind of injunction against the Univ to let them return until the issue is resolved) until things cool down some. Hopefully the Univ and the city of Norman is being proactive with an increased police presence around the Greek area. I sure would hate to some some student that is not even remotely involved in this issue assaulted or worse.

okie52
3/13/2015, 04:25 PM
Surely you made this up and our Univ Prez didn't actually do this. That's just so wrong, imo, to label all of those guys as bigots w/o some kind of investigation, but perhaps the University had an investigation this week and concluded all of these kids were bigots. Seems rather unlikely though.

As far as the other houses, especially those immediately around the SAE house, I'm not sure they want any SAE members back in that house (if their lawyer filed some kind of injunction against the Univ to let them return until the issue is resolved) until things cool down some. Hopefully the Univ and the city of Norman is being proactive with an increased police presence around the Greek area. I sure would hate to some some student that is not even remotely involved in this issue assaulted or worse.

Before Boren could even positively identify the 2 students he stated SAE was to be out of their house by midnight on Tuesday and that student services would not be available for SAE members as OU doesn't help bigots.

Switzer also told local news outlet KOCO 5 that labeling all the frat members as bigots was "unacceptable."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/11/barry-switzer-sae-defends-oklahoma-racist-frat_n_6847030.html

rock on sooner
3/13/2015, 04:52 PM

March 21, 1981, Michael Donald was lynched by two KKK'ers in Alabama. Before that
were more than a few lynchings in Mississippi in the 60's (I'm sure you remember the
ones who ere trying to register voters.) Some mysterious disappearances in Louisiana,
though most argue they got lost in the swamp......

BigTip
3/13/2015, 05:24 PM
Before Boren could even positively identify the 2 students he stated SAE was to be out of their house by midnight on Tuesday and that student services would not be available for SAE members as OU doesn't help bigots.

Can you imagine this happening in the real world?

Example: A guy is arrested for something. His landlord immediately throws him out of the rented house.
And all his family too. That would NEVER EVER happen, would it?

Heavy handed. Reactionary. Knee Jerk. Grandstanding. All these words come to mind.

SicEmBaylor
3/13/2015, 05:53 PM
By You referring to this as a Crime. Takes away from a a persons Free speech.
jes sayin

Well, I didn't literally mean 'crime.' It's a figure of speech.

olevetonahill
3/13/2015, 06:49 PM
Well, I didn't literally mean 'crime.' It's a figure of speech.

But the Literalistic Liberal's will start callin it that

rock on sooner
3/13/2015, 06:50 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/11/barry-switzer-sae-defends-oklahoma-racist-frat_n_6847030.html

Without being on one side or the other, the fraternity's National Office shut
down OU's chapter house, Boren reacted pretty much over the top, BUT I
wonder what the backlash would be if he did nothing, just said we will investigate
and those who did wrong will be punished. Now, keep in mind that in Louisiana,
Texas, and I think I heard Wisconsin are all investigating SAE. Geez, those pledges
(I was a frat member in college) had to learn that chant from upper classmen!
Jus sayin.....

Turd_Ferguson
3/13/2015, 06:54 PM
Boren reacted pretty much over the top, BUT I
wonder what the backlash would be if he did nothing

And therein lies the problem...too concerned about what peeps think to worry about a persons rights.

rock on sooner
3/13/2015, 06:56 PM
And therein lies the problem...too concerned about what peeps think to worry about a persons rights.

Reasonable statement...so much on BOTH sides of the argument!

olevetonahill
3/13/2015, 07:08 PM

Why not Just make a ****ing Statement that OU in no way shape or Form condones this Sh1t But we respect every ones right to express their views?

olevetonahill
3/13/2015, 07:10 PM
Reasonable statement...so much on BOTH sides of the argument!

What 2 sides? The Kids acted privately. The University acted Publicly. See my last Post!
Simple

aurorasooner
3/13/2015, 07:12 PM
Anyone remember that Ok US senate election back in '90 Jones vs Boren, when Boren won. Just wondered if that campaign was fairly tame or if these guys both got in to it with some mud slinging? This could get really interesting.
Jones also ran unsuccessfully as a Republican for U.S. Senate in 1990 against David Boren, who is now OU’s president.

“Obviously there are issues about First Amendment rights, due process and real estate issues, but we’re still gathering documents,” said Jones, who has also represented several Oklahoma politicians in high-profile corruption cases.

AE members have faced death threats and gotten into physical altercations on the OU campus, and some are afraid to attend classes at the university, Jones said.

olevetonahill
3/13/2015, 07:41 PM
Anyone remember that Ok US senate election back in '90 Jones vs Boren, when Boren won. Just wondered if that campaign was fairly tame or if these guys both got in to it with some mud slinging? This could get really interesting.

That was After THIS campaign right ? :drunk:
http://www.alettertoamerica.org/images/gallery/Governor/Boren144.jpg

SicEmBaylor
3/13/2015, 09:33 PM
I hope the dumb bitch who recorded and released this video is proud of her dumb ****head self.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
3/13/2015, 10:02 PM
But the Literalistic Liberal's will start callin it that

Um, very literal liberal over here? <tentatively raises hand>

National SAE, not Boren, shut down the frat house. Boren's "eviction" was therefore meaningless.

Had the reverse happened, however, I wouldn't hesitate to be first in the "those frat boys' rights were violated" line.

What they said was abhorrent. But the right to free speech was intended to protect abhorrent speech. I fail to see how they were creating a "hostile learning environment" while on a privately chartered bus to a social event.

And what about the (hypothetical) poor legacy nerd who was back at the house studying that night? What did he do to deserve eviction? Much less the university's refusal to help him find alternate housing because he's supposedly a "bigot" and "racist"?

<slinks back into liberal lurkerdom>

SanDiegoSoonerGal
3/13/2015, 10:04 PM
I hope the dumb bitch who recorded and released this video is proud of her dumb ****head self.

Source? Haven't seen anything regarding who actually recorded the video.

olevetonahill
3/13/2015, 10:11 PM
Um, very literal liberal over here? <tentatively raises hand>

National SAE, not Boren, shut down the frat house. Boren's "eviction" was therefore meaningless.

Had the reverse happened, however, I wouldn't hesitate to be first in the "those frat boys' rights were violated" line.

What they said was abhorrent. But the right to free speech was intended to protect abhorrent speech. I fail to see how they were creating a "hostile learning environment" while on a privately chartered bus to a social event.

And what about the (hypothetical) poor legacy nerd who was back at the house studying that night? What did he do to deserve eviction? Much less the university's refusal to help him find alternate housing because he's supposedly a "bigot" and "racist"?

<slinks back into liberal lurkerdom>

Heh, I aint so much saying what they said was right! Just that it in and of itself was NOT a crime !

SanDiegoSoonerGal
3/13/2015, 10:38 PM
Heh, I aint so much saying what they said was right! Just that it in and of itself was NOT a crime !

Didn't think you said what they said was right, and I agree that even if they said it, it wasn't a crime. Even though I AM a lib. LOL

aurorasooner
3/13/2015, 11:20 PM
I hope the dumb bitch who recorded and released this video is proud of her dumb ****head self.I sure wish the person who took that video would've sent it to Boren anonymously and sent a note with it that if he didn't take appropriate action within a couple of days she (or he) was going to post it on the web. It sure would've been better than what transpired, imo. Surely those guys on the bus know from the camera angles and such who took it, but they may have all been too loaded to remember or notice.

SicEmBaylor
3/14/2015, 12:10 AM
I sure wish the person who took that video would've sent it to Boren anonymously and sent a note with it that if he didn't take appropriate action within a couple of days she (or he) was going to post it on the web. It sure would've been better than what transpired, imo. Surely those guys on the bus know from the camera angles and such who took it, but they may have all been too loaded to remember or notice.

From my understanding, it was one of their dates.

FaninAma
3/14/2015, 12:14 AM
March 21, 1981, Michael Donald was lynched by two KKK'ers in Alabama. Before that
were more than a few lynchings in Mississippi in the 60's (I'm sure you remember the
ones who ere trying to register voters.) Some mysterious disappearances in Louisiana,
Do you really want to go there? If you do then lets talk about the number of murders committed by blacks in this country. A black person is 6.5 times more likely to murder a white person that a white person is to murder a black person.

Eielson
3/14/2015, 12:17 AM
From my understanding, it was one of their dates.

It was. And to my knowledge, there is just as much or more reason to believe she uploaded that video because she's an idiot and thought it was funny as there is to believe it was a noble young woman stepping up.

The fact that she was willing to go on a date with an SAE makes me lean to the less noble side.

I would also bet a lot of money that at least one person knows who uploaded the video, and probably many more.

SicEmBaylor
3/14/2015, 12:19 AM
It was. And to my knowledge, there is just as much or more reason to believe she uploaded that video because she's an idiot and thought it was funny...

Oh, this is 100% what I believe the case to be. There's no doubt in my mind she was just an attention-seeking ****head who thought it would be funny because she's young, stupid, and incapable of reasoning out the possible repercussions.

Eielson
3/14/2015, 12:30 AM

1981...that's more than 10 years before any of these kids were even born.

We're closing in on 35 years. I don't think it's a pressing issue right now.

aurorasooner
3/14/2015, 01:05 AM
From my understanding, it was one of their dates.Then she must have had an ax to grind with the pledge that took her or with another member or perhaps the house itself. I can't imagine that anyone who's even remotely a friend of that house would send such a video out the way that she did. Any person who had any sense at all would know that it was going to stir up a race hornet's nest on campus, and it was probably best to handle it discretely with adult University administrators.
This whole damn thing seems a little too conveniently orchestrated to be just a random act of last minute good will or guilt remorse and more like the "woman scorned" knife in the back to the guy/house, type deal, or perhaps something like an event that took place in that old Rod Steiger (sp-?) movie "The Hotel" (or something like that, can't remember if that's the right name of the movie). If it was a money grab, you'd have seen the video on TMZ or such.
Certainly not blaming the person who took the video as there's no denying that this event was just flat ridiculously idiotic, especially in a coed setting, but there probably was a better way of handling it, imo.

The fact that she was willing to go on a date with an SAE makes me lean to the less noble side. Oh that's cold, but I would be less than noble if I didn't mention that I LMAO

hawaii 5-0
3/14/2015, 01:01 PM
Maybe it was Pig Night.

5-0

BigTip
3/14/2015, 06:12 PM
Then she must have had an ax to grind with the pledge that took her or with another member or perhaps the house itself. I can't imagine that anyone who's even remotely a friend of that house would send such a video out the way that she did. Any person who had any sense at all would know that it was going to stir up a race hornet's nest on campus, and it was probably best to handle it discretely with adult University administrators.

"Can't imagine.."

Just like we all can't imagine a kid in this day and age singing a song like those idiots did.

So yes, she could very well just be an idiot too.

soonergirlNeugene
3/14/2015, 06:34 PM
I remember reading early on in this thing (I think it was within a couple of hours after it first broke) that the person who posted it was not the person who captured the video and that the person who captured it did not want it to go public. I haven't really seen much about the identity of the person who recorded it since.

rock on sooner
3/14/2015, 07:28 PM
Do you really want to go there? If you do then lets talk about the number of murders committed by blacks in this country. A black person is 6.5 times more likely to murder a white person that a white person is to murder a black person.

Naw, Fanin, I don't want to go there...I just posted that because someone
posted, with authority, that the last lynching was in 1956. Just thought
that truth and accuracy should prevail.....

dwarthog
3/14/2015, 07:31 PM
"Can't imagine.."

Just like we all can't imagine a kid in this day and age singing a song like those idiots did.

So yes, she could very well just be an idiot too.

Listen to some rap music.

This is what kids are listening too and singing along with.

SicEmBaylor
3/14/2015, 09:17 PM
I remember reading early on in this thing (I think it was within a couple of hours after it first broke) that the person who posted it was not the person who captured the video and that the person who captured it did not want it to go public. I haven't really seen much about the identity of the person who recorded it since.

How did that happen? I assume it was taken on a cell phone, so did the poster steal the other person's phone and post it? Did she send the video to the other person who then uploaded it?

soonergirlNeugene
3/14/2015, 09:33 PM
How did that happen? I assume it was taken on a cell phone, so did the poster steal the other person's phone and post it? Did she send the video to the other person who then uploaded it?

My guess was that whoever recorded it probably sent it to people who then sent it to more people and it found its way to somebody who thought it was messed up who then sent it to OU Unheard. These things tend to ripple out like that. Stupid, but that kinda sounds about right for the crowd on the bus that night.

aurorasooner
3/14/2015, 10:34 PM
How did that happen? I assume it was taken on a cell phone, so did the poster steal the other person's phone and post it? Did she send the video to the other person who then uploaded it?I thought I read somewhere that it was sent ""anonymously to that activist group Unheard and they posted it on the 'net.
How many people/students the original person shared/DLed-ULed the video with/to, and how many students they shared it with, is probably in the thousands. I think it's safe to say that connecting the dots on who actually sent this video to that activist group is just impossible, unless perhaps it was uploaded thru a University server. And the University ""ain't talking because of this possible impending lawsuit. They just want it to blow over.

Eielson
3/15/2015, 12:14 AM
I heard Zoe Barnes leaked it.

SicEmBaylor
3/15/2015, 01:28 AM
I heard Zoe Barnes leaked it.

Throw her in front of a train!

FaninAma
3/15/2015, 10:28 AM
Naw, Fanin, I don't want to go there...I just posted that because someone
posted, with authority, that the last lynching was in 1956. Just thought
that truth and accuracy should prevail.....

I know you're the reasonable type.I just think that the faatigue factor is starting to set in regarding the race issue. I used to care a lot about people who did and said racist things especially when I heard it from friends or family members. I would always speak up and tell them they were wrong. Now I am starting to think it doesn't matter. All the progress made in the last 100 uears isn't enough to slow daown the PC steam roller. So why even try? If you are white and from the South or Midwest you are assumed by a large part of the Democrat Coalition to be a racist.

hawaii 5-0
3/15/2015, 01:18 PM
Sorry you quit caring. Fortunately a lot of people still haven't.

5-0

olevetonahill
3/15/2015, 03:07 PM

5-0

Since your convinced that Whites are the Racists , Go to North Tulsa and walk into any bar about midnight and Order a beer.

Turd_Ferguson
3/15/2015, 03:52 PM
Since your convinced that Whites are the Racists , Go to North Tulsa and walk into any bar about midnight and Order a beer.

Lol, I dare him to walk in one around noon...:D

aurorasooner
3/15/2015, 04:11 PM
I really can't imagine that some white student walking across a street near the OU campus would, out of nowhere, sling a racial insult (as aluded to in a NY Daily News article ) to some black student woman stopped at a red light, unless that student in the car had possibly honked their horn for them to get out of the way and hurry up about it...something like that.

Smith, 22, was sitting at a traffic light when a fellow OU student crossing the street hurled the racial epithet her way — and continued to his class without a second thought.

The public relations major was traumatized and terrified by the incident.

“I share classes with these people,” she told the Daily News last week. “They’re laughing and smiling with me all day long and then chant (about) hanging me behind my back. That’s scary. That is so scary.

Everett Brown 19, says that’s not entirely the case. The problem existed on a smaller scale long before this video was exposed, and the offenders were often unaware of their role, said the sophomore aviation management major from Houston, Texas. It does make me wonder though if our University's leadership has a clue as to wth is actually going on on the campus or are they barricaded in their offices worrying too much about our FB team, the stadium expansion, the number of National Merit Scholars in next year's class, or cyaing their azzes on this fracking/earthquake deal, and only responding when a campus incident like this SAE deal blows up.

I can see why Boren handled this incident quickly and forcefully and I don't agree with some of the things he did, but I can see why he did them quickly, while worrying about any consequences to his swift action later.

I can also see that some of these minor incidents coming out now in the press may be exaggerations to take advantage of the situation but if they're being completely truthful then I believe that there's a problem on our campus. It's also somewhat ironic that all of these students that I've seen mentioned in these articles are from the state of Texas and not from Oklahoma. I don't know if that has any anything to do with anything, but it's just strange.

3/15/2015, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by olevetonahill
"Since your convinced that Whites are the Racists , Go to North Tulsa and walk into any bar about midnight and Order a beer."

Hawaii is a major Leftist enclave, with a very put upon mentality. Not surprising 5-0 "thinks" that way.

olevetonahill
3/15/2015, 04:31 PM
Lol, I dare him to walk in one around noon...:D

http://www.olevetpossehideout.com/forums/images/smilies/yes.gif

hawaii 5-0
3/15/2015, 05:26 PM

I actually used to work in North Tulsa in the 70's.

Didn't hang around there at night.

Never said whites are racists. Quit makin' stuff up.

5-0

hawaii 5-0
3/15/2015, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by olevetonahill
"Since your convinced that Whites are the Racists , Go to North Tulsa and walk into any bar about midnight and Order a beer."

Hawaii is a major Leftist enclave, with a very put upon mentality. Not surprising 5-0 "thinks" that way.

Six years ago we had a two term Repub Gov. I voted for her both times.

The smack is cheap but now you're just making stuff up, like Vet.

5-0

olevetonahill
3/15/2015, 06:22 PM
Six years ago we had a two term Repub Gov. I voted for her both times.

The smack is cheap but now you're just making stuff up, like Vet.

5-0

Hey Einstein! I dint call ya a Leftest Ya moran!

hawaii 5-0
3/15/2015, 10:09 PM
Did I mention that at my construction job in North Tulsa my boss was Black?

"You know nothing, John Snow." ------Game of High-Backed Royal Chairs

5-0

olevetonahill
3/15/2015, 10:27 PM

5-0

And that means????
Like I said Moran I Didn't call you a Leftest!
I simply said stroll into a North Tulsa bar after 10 PM !then Tell me about Racism!

olevetonahill
3/15/2015, 10:33 PM

5-0

Oh and in 68 I had a Black Drill Sergeant. He saved My LIFE by being a Hardass. out of 28 of us He trained 27 came home !
Now how does that equate to racism?

soonergirlNeugene
3/15/2015, 10:40 PM
Why make it personal?

olevetonahill
3/15/2015, 10:51 PM
Why make it personal?

Because HE asked how many of us had Hooded sheets in our Closets!
Pay tention

aurorasooner
3/16/2015, 05:06 PM
Sounds like the National SAE's (or the OU SAE's--little fuzzy here because of the quote below) board of trustees threw some of their OU JRs or SRs under the bus.
The next morning, the OU SAE Board of Trustees released a statement saying that a “horrible cancer entered into the OU chapter of SAE three to four years ago.” The national chapter’s board of trustees did not specify who or what “the cancer” referred to.
In a statement released Thursday morning, Boren announced Clarke Stroud, vice president of student affairs, will investigate the officers of the fraternity to “determine their level of responsibility and to make recommendations on appropriate disciplinary action.” It'll be interesting to see after spring break if there are more expulsions besides these 2 frosh.

FaninAma
3/17/2015, 09:35 AM

5-0

Me too. I just realized that it is a wasted effort and, in fact, empowers the race baiters who use white guilt to accomplish their goals of keeping conservative whites quiet.

hawaii 5-0
3/17/2015, 02:30 PM
Me too. I just realized that it is a wasted effort and, in fact, empowers the race baiters who use white guilt to accomplish their goals of keeping conservative whites quiet.

Total Bullshlt.

The real enablers are the white racists who just sit back idly while the stooges on that bus spew their racial hatred in an 'amusing' manner and think it's just 'cute'.

I'll prefer to stand with the thousands of protesters, athletes and regular students of all races on the OU campus denouncing the racial hatred that still exists.

I firmly believe that you could start caring for your fellow man more. You're a doctor. Why ? For the money, or because you really wanted to help others ?

Maybe some kind of compassionate medical mission might help you see your errant ways. Vanuatu perhaps. They can sure use some help.

5-0

Turd_Ferguson
3/17/2015, 03:56 PM
Total Bullshlt.

The real enablers are the white racists who just sit back idly while the stooges on that bus spew their racial hatred in an 'amusing' manner and think it's just 'cute'.

I'll prefer to stand with the thousands of protesters, athletes and regular students of all races on the OU campus denouncing the racial hatred that still exists.

I firmly believe that you could start caring for your fellow man more. You're a doctor. Why ? For the money, or because you really wanted to help others ?

Maybe some kind of compassionate medical mission might help you see your errant ways. Vanuatu perhaps. They can sure use some help.

5-0
You're a ****ing joke.

Curly Bill
3/17/2015, 04:36 PM
You're a ****ing joke.

Aren't all liberals? Bunch of pansy a**, guilt-ridden, limp-wristed, weak in the knees, beta males, who feel helpless and dependent, and hope and pray that big brother will help them live out their miserable lives.

That about cover it you bunch of liberal losers? :livid:

olevetonahill
3/17/2015, 04:39 PM
Aren't all liberals?

But he voted for a female Repub Governor Not ONCE but TWICE:drunk:

Curly Bill
3/17/2015, 04:40 PM
But he voted for a female Repub Governor Not ONCE but TWICE:drunk:

I doubt he goes to take a sh*t that he doesn't quake in the knees for fear that the bogey man is waiting on him!

hawaii 5-0
3/17/2015, 04:47 PM
The 3 Board Knuckleheads have now come out of the closet, white robed and ready to burn a cross or two.

My only question.........what took ya so long ?

Hey, Fanin. Here's what enabling gets ya. A local Yahoo 3 way.

5-0

Curly Bill
3/17/2015, 04:54 PM
The 3 Board Knuckleheads have now come out of the closet, white robed and ready to burn a cross or two.

5-0

Someone finally got his panties all twisted up - that's cute. Go do a burnout in the Prius and feel all manly! Bahahahahahaha

3/17/2015, 08:31 PM

5-0Is your foolishness intentional? Are you a strange comedian?

Curly Bill
3/17/2015, 08:47 PM
Is your foolishness intentional? Are you a strange comedian?

Got his feelings hurt, and you know how women, er...I mean liberal males are with their feelings.

olevetonahill
3/17/2015, 09:00 PM

5-0

You sir are almost as big a doosh as KC/8th

Turd_Ferguson
3/17/2015, 09:05 PM

You got yer pointy hat on ya damn darky hater!?

olevetonahill
3/17/2015, 09:14 PM
You got yer pointy hat on ya damn darky hater!?

heres that Group photo of us at the last meetin
http://i0.wp.com/listverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/013.jpg?resize=632%2C415

Turd_Ferguson
3/17/2015, 09:29 PM
heres that Group photo of us at the last meetin
http://i0.wp.com/listverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/013.jpg?resize=632%2C415

That must be you on the left doin your famous head wobble...:D

SicEmBaylor
3/18/2015, 12:23 AM

There's no way 8th is KC. I had many many arguments with 8th, and their styles are completely different.

olevetonahill
3/18/2015, 06:31 AM
There's no way 8th is KC. I had many many arguments with 8th, and their styles are completely different.

yer certainly entitled to your opinion

olevetonahill
3/18/2015, 07:07 AM
This certainly runs pretty much parallel with my thots

I believe whites are racist. But I’ve got news for everyone, all peoples around the world are racist and have been since the dawn of humanity.* The myth that blacks are not racist toward whites is ludicrous.

http://personalliberty.com/is-it-a-bad-rap-or-the-sad-truth-that-black-racism-against-whites-is-celebrated/

FaninAma
3/18/2015, 09:09 AM
Total Bullshlt.

5-0

Classic white guilt with mass hysteria and dehabilitating fear that you will be called a racist or not be considered intelligent if you don't fall in line with the elitists. I treat people as individuals. You and your ilk treat people as groups. The black kids who play with my son on his baseball team and spend the night on sleepovers with my son are treated the same as the white kids because they are all just kids. But to the liberals and PC crowd they are black and should be treated differently or at least looked at differently.

I advocate for all individuals who need my help regardless of race. I do not separate people into groups. You and your liberal friends are all about separating people into groups and defining them. "That group is black and helpless". "That group is white and racist". Your attitude promotes division and is counter-productive to a society that treats everybody the same. You have convinced entire groups of people that they are victims and cannot succeed without the help of you enlightened elitists. Bull ****ing ****. Everybody in this country has the opportunity to succeed unless they are convinced from childhood that they can't because they are victims. And the worst part of how you treat people is that you are oblivious to the harm and damage you do.

Turd_Ferguson
3/18/2015, 12:52 PM
This certainly runs pretty much parallel with my thots

http://personalliberty.com/is-it-a-bad-rap-or-the-sad-truth-that-black-racism-against-whites-is-celebrated/
Yep.

Turd_Ferguson
3/18/2015, 12:53 PM
Classic white guilt with mass hysteria and dehabilitating fear that you will be called a racist or not be considered intelligent if you don't fall in line with the elitists. I treat people as individuals. You and your ilk treat people as groups. The black kids who play with my son on his baseball team and spend the night on sleepovers with my son are treated the same as the white kids because they are all just kids. But to the liberals and PC crowd they are black and should be treated differently or at least looked at differently.

I advocate for all individuals who need my help regardless of race. I do not separate people into groups. You and your liberal friends are all about separating people into groups and defining them. "That group is black and helpless". "That group is white and racist". Your attitude promotes division and is counter-productive to a society that treats everybody the same. You have convinced entire groups of people that they are victims and cannot succeed without the help of you enlightened elitists. Bull ****ing ****. Everybody in this country has the opportunity to succeed unless they are convinced from childhood that they can't because they are victims. And the worst part of how you treat people is that you are oblivious to the harm and damage you do.

Great post.

Curly Bill
3/18/2015, 02:13 PM

Yep!

BigTip
3/18/2015, 02:28 PM

Yes, very well said.

I have been trying to teach people to call the liberals that bring up race the racists. They are always the ones that bring it up first. I believe someone that is so quick to say the races are different are actually the racists.

We will never be the desired homogeneous society if factions keeping trying to identify groups.

olevetonahill
3/18/2015, 02:35 PM
I want my Milk WHITE, dont much care for Chocolate milk !
Do that make me racist?

Turd_Ferguson
3/18/2015, 04:51 PM
http://www.theconservative.co.nz/sites/default/files/tolerantliberal2.jpg

olevetonahill
3/18/2015, 04:57 PM

heh

rock on sooner
3/18/2015, 08:03 PM

Profound....

Tear Down This Wall
3/19/2015, 11:29 AM
You fags still arguing about the word "******" and its effect on society?

Give it a rest. It's been a whole week. With the spate of new mass shootings at home and abroad, you can safely switch topics to gun control.

hawaii 5-0
3/19/2015, 01:51 PM
Life's too short folks.

The lack of denouncement of the actions of that Frat speaks volumes of the attitude (or lack thereof, Fanin) towards what's happening on the OU campus.

BTW, real Liberals don't vote for Republicans. And they sure don't vote for them to get re-elected. Now that I think of it I voted Republican the last election tho the candidate didn't get elected. Your idea of painting me as a Liberal falls on deaf ears. Don't let the truth stop ya tho.

I'm pretty liberal socially, but a fiscal conservative and am Pro-Gun.

Spin as I'm sure you will.

Nice pics Vet. That you on the left ?

5-0

Eielson
3/19/2015, 06:50 PM
Somebody summarize this thread for me. Am I a racist or not?

Turd_Ferguson
3/19/2015, 07:00 PM
Life's too short folks.

The lack of denouncement of the actions of that Frat speaks volumes of the attitude (or lack thereof, Fanin) towards what's happening on the OU campus.

BTW, real Liberals don't vote for Republicans. And they sure don't vote for them to get re-elected. Now that I think of it I voted Republican the last election tho the candidate didn't get elected. Your idea of painting me as a Liberal falls on deaf ears. Don't let the truth stop ya tho.

I'm pretty liberal socially, but a fiscal conservative and am Pro-Gun.

Spin as I'm sure you will.

Nice pics Vet. That you on the left ?

5-0

Dance, monkey...dance.

rock on sooner
3/19/2015, 08:03 PM

What difference does it make?

Eielson
3/19/2015, 08:32 PM

Need to know if I should show up to the cross-burning.

Turd_Ferguson
3/19/2015, 08:52 PM

Hillary?...is that you?

Turd_Ferguson
3/19/2015, 08:53 PM
Need to know if I should show up to the cross-burning.

Ain't never seen one and doubt anyone in this thread has either.

FaninAma
3/19/2015, 09:18 PM
Hey 5-0, here are the results of the caring actions of some of your fellow enlightened race counselors intent on educating the rest of us in the error of our ways. But I wonder who inflicted the most damage on Ferguson....us "racists" who just "sat back" or you concerned protestors who wanted everybody to know how much you care?
http://fusion.net/story/104184/ferguson-home-values-are-plummeting-and-residents-are-feeling-the-pain/

FaninAma
3/19/2015, 09:22 PM
If you haven't been out visibly protesting against us subtle racists you probably are.

hawaii 5-0
3/19/2015, 10:07 PM
Somebody summarize this thread for me.

Haters gonna hate.

They're easy to pick out on this thread.

5-0

olevetonahill
3/19/2015, 10:57 PM
Haters gonna hate.

They're easy to pick out on this thread.

5-0

There is help for you. You can get therapy to help you control your hatred!