PDA

View Full Version : Obama threatened to shoot down Israeli planes

okie52
3/2/2015, 11:22 AM
Report: Obama Threatened to Shoot Down Israeli Jets Attacking Iran
Sunday, 01 Mar 2015 12:52 PM
By Greg Richter

President Barack Obama threatened to shoot down Israeli planes in 2014 if they were sent to bomb Iranian nuclear facilities, according to reports attributed to a Kuwaiti newspaper.

According to the website Israel National News, the Bethlehem-based news agency Ma'an cites Kuwaiti newspaper Al-Jarida.

Al-Jarida reports that the alleged threat from the White House forced Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to cancel the planned attack.

An Israeli minister on good relations with the Obama administration reportedly tipped Secretary of State John Kerry to the plan and that Obama vowed to shoot down the planes when they crossed over U.S.-controlled airspace in Iraq.

Al-Jarida quoted "well-placed" sources saying that Netanyahu, Minister of Defense Moshe Ya'alon and then-Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman made the plans for airstrikes after consulting top commanders.

In addition to the attacks, Netanyahu and his ministers decided to try to thwart any nuclear deal between the United States and Iran over fears that a nuclear Iran is a threat to Israel's existence, the newspaper said.

Israeli pilots reportedly trained for weeks on the mission and even were able to fly into Iranian airspace without being detected by radar.

Israel's fears of nuclear attack are not new. In 2007, an Israeli airstrike took out a suspected nuclear site in Syria. A 1981 airstrike took out a suspected nuclear reactor in Iraq.
Latest News Update

Israel National News quoted a Daily Beast interview from 2009 in which former President Jimmy Carter's national security adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski urged Obama to take on any threat to Iran from Israel.

"They have to fly over our airspace in Iraq. Are we just going to sit there and watch?" Brzezinski said. "We have to be serious about denying them that right. That means a denial where you aren’t just saying it. If they fly over, you go up and confront them. They have the choice of turning back or not."

Brzezinski even suggested, "No one wishes for this but it could be a Liberty in reverse."

That was an allusion to an incident in the 1967 Six Day War in which Israeli jets and torpedo boats attacked the USS Liberty in international waters. Israel later called the attack an incident of "friendly fire."

Netanyahu is set to address a joint session of Congress on Tuesday over the Iranian nuclear threat. Most Democrats have said they will not attend and Obama has said he will not meet with the prime minister since the talk will occur two weeks from Israeli elections.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/obama-threatened-israeli-jets/2015/03/01/id/627575/#ixzz3TFIu31WL

rock on sooner
3/2/2015, 11:47 AM
If Obama did make that threat then that explains, at least in part, Bibi sticking
his nose into our politics. I can see a US prez taking back channels to discourage
an Isreali attack, but I don't see Obama making that threat against the ONLY real
Middle East ally we have. Naw, really, consider the source of that story...Arabs
trying to drive a wedge between the US and Isreal.....

My response is just a quick reaction to the lead....I haven't read anything at all
about it.....

SoonerProphet
3/2/2015, 11:52 AM
Yes, if they flew into air space we patrolled against our executives wishes they should be. F those Likudniks, Yitzhak Shamir tried to pull the same sh!t during 1st Gulf War. Trillions in free lunches and yet they don't heel well.

okie52
3/2/2015, 12:01 PM
I disagree. While I'm for the US being non interventionist in many cases I don't see where the Israeli's doing our dirty work (or really their own dirty work) betrays that philosophy. And, if the US was in Israel's position, I don't think we'd let that **** fly with us either. We sure didn't allow Cuba to do it.

Turd_Ferguson
3/2/2015, 12:07 PM
Yes, if they flew into air space we patrolled against our executives wishes they should be. F those Likudniks, Yitzhak Shamir tried to pull the same sh!t during 1st Gulf War. Trillions in free lunches and yet they don't heel well.

If the "executives wishes" were allowing iran to build a nuke that is surely destined for Israel, then I think Bibi has every right to take it out.

"Trillions in free lunches"? Your hatred for Jews knows no bounds.

SoonerProphet
3/2/2015, 12:09 PM
So it would have been wise to let Israel launch an attack on one of the biggest nations in the Mideast while we are trying to conduct a negotiated settlement? Would that have helped or harmed our people in Iraq and Afganistan?

SoonerProphet
3/2/2015, 12:25 PM
If the "executives wishes" were allowing iran to build a nuke that is surely destined for Israel, then I think Bibi has every right to take it out.

If/buts...candy nuts and Christmas.

SoonerProphet
3/2/2015, 12:27 PM

Sweet, the racist card...liberal p*ussy.

Turd_Ferguson
3/2/2015, 12:39 PM
If/buts...candy nuts and Christmas.

Yeah, uhm...that makes no sense.

Turd_Ferguson
3/2/2015, 12:43 PM
Sweet, the racist card...liberal p*ussy.

LOL

SoonerProphet
3/2/2015, 12:43 PM

The "if" in your statement is what makes no sense. You know something Mossad and our intel peeps don't.

Turd_Ferguson
3/2/2015, 12:47 PM
The "if" in your statement is what makes no sense. You know something Mossad and our intel peeps don't.

But yours does...go tit.

Yes, if they flew into air space we patrolled against our executives wishes they should be. F those Likudniks,

SoonerProphet
3/2/2015, 12:52 PM
But yours does...go tit.

So the "if" of Iran having a nuke compared to the op article, no wonder you are confused.

Turd_Ferguson
3/2/2015, 01:13 PM
So the "if" of Iran having a nuke compared to the op article, no wonder you are confused.

So the "if" of them flying through an US patrolled airspace compared to the op article, no wonder you're a ***** *** lib.

"F those Likudniks"...racist lib.

SoonerProphet
3/2/2015, 01:19 PM
Play that race card Sharpton.

Sooner in Tampa
3/2/2015, 01:27 PM
Play that race card Sharpton.

WTF is he thinking??? The libs are the only pricks that play the race card...right?

SoonerProphet
3/2/2015, 01:32 PM
WTF is he thinking??? The libs are the only pricks that play the race card...right?

Fascist, pinko, lib, or con, don't care what illogical asshat brings it to an argument. It is a tool to blunt speech. And yes, you are a epic prick if you play it.

okie52
3/2/2015, 01:37 PM
So it would have been wise to let Israel launch an attack on one of the biggest nations in the Mideast while we are trying to conduct a negotiated settlement? Would that have helped or harmed our people in Iraq and Afganistan?

What are we trying to negotiate? Doesn't that negotiation become unnecessary (or at least delayed for a long time) after Israel destroyed the nuke facility? And I certainly wouldn't shoot down an ally that was trying to protect itself in the same manner as we would if a country that has sworn to destroy us was attempting to get nukes.

As to Iraq and Afghanistan I don't think we should still be there anyway. Let Iran deal with ISIS.

Turd_Ferguson
3/2/2015, 01:39 PM
What are we trying to negotiate? Doesn't that negotiation become unnecessary (or at least delayed for a long time) after Israel destroyed the nuke facility? And I certainly wouldn't shoot down an ally that was trying to protect itself in the same manner as we would if a country that has sworn to destroy us was attempting to get nukes.

As to Iraq and Afghanistan I don't think we should still be there anyway. Let Iran deal with ISIS.

Word.

REDREX
3/2/2015, 01:43 PM
Valerie Jarrett didn't want her home country bombed

Turd_Ferguson
3/2/2015, 01:45 PM
Fascist, pinko, lib, or con, don't care what illogical asshat brings it to an argument. It is a tool to blunt speech. And yes, you are a epic prick if you play it.

So since you are against Israel's right to preemptively DEFEND themselves, and throw out the "F those Likudniks"...I'm the prick thrown' out the race card...Gotcha.

SoonerProphet
3/2/2015, 01:46 PM

The US is trying to negotiate a nuclear agreement with Iran for a peaceful nuclear program. One they are entitled to under the NPT. If they attempt to destroy it the Persians will certainly bolt from the NPT and any ability to curb/monitor their program is gone.

SoonerProphet
3/2/2015, 01:57 PM
So since you are against Israel's right to preemptively DEFEND themselves, and throw out the "F those Likudniks"...I'm the prick thrown' out the race card...Gotcha.

No, they can bomb whoever the **** they want, they just can't fly through us controlled airspace. That makes us complicit in the attack and opens us a can we may be trying to avoid. To support another country over your own is treason.

Likud, not for sure you means what you think.

hawaii 5-0
3/2/2015, 01:59 PM
Stoopid thread. I doubt the 'report' is true.

My personal favorite tho is........ "Duck Hunters Shoot Down Angel".

5-0

okie52
3/2/2015, 02:08 PM
The US is trying to negotiate a nuclear agreement with Iran for a peaceful nuclear program. One they are entitled to under the NPT. If they attempt to destroy it the Persians will certainly bolt from the NPT and any ability to curb/monitor their program is gone.

Well if the Iranians are allowed a "peaceful" nuke program under the NPT what is all of the hubub about? Is it because they weren't going to build a peaceful nuke program? Certainly the Israelis don't think so and, again, if we weren't still in Iraq this wouldn't even be an issue. Why isn't the Iraqi air force controlling their own air space? Why can't they defend themselves against ISIS?

okie52
3/2/2015, 02:24 PM
Administration denies Obama threatened to shoot down Israeli warplanes

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/mar/1/report-obama-threatened-shoot-down-israeli-warplan/

SoonerProphet
3/2/2015, 02:29 PM
Well if the Iranians are allowed a "peaceful" nuke program under the NPT what is all of the hubub about? Is it because they weren't going to build a peaceful nuke program? Certainly the Israelis don't think so and, again, if we weren't still in Iraq this wouldn't even be an issue. Why isn't the Iraqi air force controlling their own air space? Why can't they defend themselves against ISIS?

The issues have been over levels of enrichment from its centrifuges. There has been zero proof of a "weapons" program. Many in Israel, the intel and military, have been skeptical of Bibi's alarmism over Iran's nuclear ambitions. Much of what he has stated in the past has turned up false. We are no longer guarantors of Iraqi sovereignty, doubt the Shia regime would be pleased if the IAF flew in their airspace on route to bomb Iran.

Turd_Ferguson
3/2/2015, 02:34 PM
Many in Israel, the intel and military, have been skeptical of Bibi's alarmism over Iran's nuclear ambitions.

Many? How many? Where do you get this info?

SoonerProphet
3/2/2015, 02:45 PM
Many? How many? Where do you get this info?

http://www.timesofisrael.com/gantz-hints-he-stood-in-way-of-iran-attack/

Gantz, who retired in February after 38 years of service, also revealed a dispute between the political leadership, which was moving toward a military strike, and the IDF, opposed to such a move.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4630040,00.html

Leaked cable reveals that Israeli intelligence thought Iran was much further from building nuclear weapons in 2012 than prime minister claimed in address to Congress.

Those are two, what is your def of many? Google is some cool **** bro.

okie52
3/2/2015, 02:54 PM
The issues have been over levels of enrichment from its centrifuges. There has been zero proof of a "weapons" program. Many in Israel, the intel and military, have been skeptical of Bibi's alarmism over Iran's nuclear ambitions. Much of what he has stated in the past has turned up false. We are no longer guarantors of Iraqi sovereignty, doubt the Shia regime would be pleased if the IAF flew in their airspace on route to bomb Iran.

Were the enrichment levels defined in the NPT? Were countries that were signatories to the agreement obligated to provide proof or allow inspections that they were in compliance with the NPT (I really don't know, just asking)? I don't doubt that from the Israeli perspective things will be slanted towards Iran's nuke program.

With Iraq in control of its own airspace what would keep the Israelis from launching the attack now? Since the Iraqi air force (along with a poor army) seemed incapable of being a sufficient deterrent to ISIS I wonder why the Israelis would blink about launching an attack if they were convinced of hostile Iranian intentions.

SoonerProphet
3/2/2015, 04:36 PM
From wiki-

"The treaty recognizes the inalienable right of sovereign states to use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes, but restricts this right for NPT parties to be exercised "in conformity with Articles I and II" (the basic nonproliferation obligations that constitute the "first pillar" of the Treaty). As the commercially popular light water reactor nuclear power station uses enriched uranium fuel, it follows that states must be able either to enrich uranium or purchase it on an international market. Mohamed ElBaradei, then Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency, has called the spread of enrichment and reprocessing capabilities the "Achilles' heel" of the nuclear nonproliferation regime. As of 2007 13 states have an enrichment capability."

I could only speculate as to why the IDF hasn't attacked.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/2/2015, 04:39 PM
Hell, most of the ME WANTS Israel to bomb Iran(Aryan) and take out their nuke capabilities, they just don't have the will, equipment or politics to do it. No one on the Gulf wants Iran to have a nuke and would be very happy to see some one do something about it, just not them...

okie52
3/2/2015, 05:11 PM
From wiki-

"The treaty recognizes the inalienable right of sovereign states to use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes, but restricts this right for NPT parties to be exercised "in conformity with Articles I and II" (the basic nonproliferation obligations that constitute the "first pillar" of the Treaty). As the commercially popular light water reactor nuclear power station uses enriched uranium fuel, it follows that states must be able either to enrich uranium or purchase it on an international market. Mohamed ElBaradei, then Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency, has called the spread of enrichment and reprocessing capabilities the "Achilles' heel" of the nuclear nonproliferation regime. As of 2007 13 states have an enrichment capability."

I could only speculate as to why the IDF hasn't attacked.

Thanks.

I believe sovereign nations should be allowed to pursue their own best interests on energy/armaments although it is questionable that an oil exporting country like Iran really needs nukes...but hey, maybe they're going after clean energy. I would also understand why a country in Israel's position might see such a program as provocative.

But we're gone now...(well I think we are gone except for that ISIS thing) so nobody should be blocking the Israelis if they want to go after Iran.

8timechamps
3/2/2015, 07:27 PM
Administration denies Obama threatened to shoot down Israeli warplanes

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/mar/1/report-obama-threatened-shoot-down-israeli-warplan/

Yeah, I found the original report hard to believe. That's not to say it wasn't actually discussed at some point, but I seriously doubt it got to a point where the president made a threat like that.

The Israelis are more than capable of a strike without needing to involve the US in any manner. They're also not stupid enough to do it at this time. I'm sure the rhetoric is more geared toward their upcoming election than anything else.

8timechamps
3/2/2015, 07:30 PM
Hell, most of the ME WANTS Israel to bomb Iran(Aryan) and take out their nuke capabilities, they just don't have the will, equipment or politics to do it. No one on the Gulf wants Iran to have a nuke and would be very happy to see some one do something about it, just not them...

They have the equipment to strike, but they are also not interested in the retaliation that would follow. While there are many in the region that have no interest in a nuclear armed Iran, there are many that hate Israel more.

I do agree that they don't have the politics to strike.