PDA

View Full Version : Salsa Nacho Banned by NCAA

SicEmBaylor
2/25/2015, 03:48 PM
I rarely post Baylor-only stories unless it connects to OU in some shape, form, or fashion but the NCAA has once again proven itself to be the corrupt and ****ty ruling body that it is.

http://www.frogsowar.com/2015/2/25/8107757/baylor-player-banned-by-ncaa-for-trying-to-survive

KantoSooner
2/25/2015, 03:52 PM
Yep, this was kind of unbelievable.

olevetonahill
2/25/2015, 04:07 PM
Yep, this was kind of unbelievable.

While I detest the NCAA it is the one who makes the rules right now.
Kid really did nothing wrong Yet the Rules got him. Maybe he should have Just checked with the school before he accepted and all would be ok now.

SicEmBaylor
2/25/2015, 04:10 PM
While I detest the NCAA it is the one who makes the rules right now.
Kid really did nothing wrong Yet the Rules got him. Maybe he should have Just checked with the school before he accepted and all would be ok now.

Aye. The NCAA is now saying they didn't rule him ineligible, so this may be a case of the compliance department getting ahead of the issue before the NCAA can act. Either way, it's a real shame.

Soonerjeepman
2/25/2015, 04:11 PM
the problem is he probably could have gotten some type of exemption if he had approached the school/ncaa with his issue...and received help. I know...the ncaa is just a bunch of a$$hats...but I believe a certain kid, named bush, got some living help as well.

Obviously bush was on a different level, but help with living is help with living.

I would like to THINK Baylor would have gone to bat for this kid IF he had contacted the coaches about his situation.

olevetonahill
2/25/2015, 04:12 PM
Aye.

Is he perma bained or just for this season? What about the games he played in? Not much info in yer link.

SicEmBaylor
2/25/2015, 04:13 PM
I would like to THINK Baylor would have gone to bat for this kid IF he had contacted the coaches about his situation.

I really wish they had -- let there be a public fight over the issue and see if NCAA wins in the court of public opinion.

8timechamps
2/25/2015, 04:13 PM
Chalk another one up to the antiquated NCAA by laws.

Hopefully the kid can get things figured out and have a chance to play down the line.

SicEmBaylor
2/25/2015, 04:14 PM
Is he perma bained or just for this season? What about the games he played in? Not much info in yer link.

I *think* he's out permanently, but it shouldn't impact the games he played in last season.

olevetonahill
2/25/2015, 04:15 PM
I really wish they had -- let there be a public fight over the issue and see if NCAA wins in the court of public opinion.

That court dont hold much sway bro.

olevetonahill
2/25/2015, 05:05 PM
Sompun sounds Fishy. NCAA says they dint rule, briles says it aint up to Football. I think the boy got some one P O ed at him

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/2/25/8109077/silas-nacita-baylor-ncaa-eligibility-football

Soonerjeepman
2/25/2015, 05:19 PM
wait....is his name REALLY Salsa Nacho? this is a joke? right?...lol

8timechamps
2/25/2015, 09:48 PM
Sompun sounds Fishy. NCAA says they dint rule, briles says it aint up to Football. I think the boy got some one P O ed at him

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/2/25/8109077/silas-nacita-baylor-ncaa-eligibility-football

Yeah, something's not right about this. The NCAA sent out a tweet today that said they hadn't made any ruling that would make him ineligible. But Briles is making it sound like a compliance issue with Baylor. Confusing.

Here's ESPN's report on the story. (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12381079/silas-nacita-baylor-bears-walk-rb-says-ncaa-declared-ineligible-accepting-impermissible-benefits-was-homeless)

Pride1Mom
2/26/2015, 11:13 AM
With the USC and Reggie Bush story, and yet the NCAA pulls this on a HOMELESS person and a WALK-ON? But then, who said the NCAA rules make any sense.....

Pride1Mom
2/26/2015, 11:14 AM
The name is Silas Nacita.

badger
2/26/2015, 12:36 PM
Let's face it - NCAA compliance people in school's athletic departments are not looking out for student's best interests; they're looking out for the school and their own arses. It's why OU compliance made a few of our guys pay back measly amounts of money ($5 or so) for taking excessive amounts of pasta at a dinner. WTF, compliance.

Compliance people are a necessary evil due to the fear of bringing down a millions/billions of dollars a year enterprise known as college athletics.

What should have happened was Baylor advocate for him right away and ask for a hardship exemption for housing a homeless walk-on. Better yet, put him on scholarship so you could NCAA-approved pay for housing. Instead, it sounds like Silas Nacita (autocorrected nickname Salsa Nacho) had to go it alone and thus, was forced to choose between NCAA compliance and going homeless, or accepting housing and facing the wrath of compliance.

Baylor is NOT blameless.

olevetonahill
2/26/2015, 12:50 PM
With the USC and Reggie Bush story, and yet the NCAA pulls this on a HOMELESS person and a WALK-ON? But then, who said the NCAA rules make any sense.....

The name is Silas Nacita.

The NCAA has said it had nothing to do with this. Read Lady.
We Know his NAME do YOU know his nick name?

cvsooner
2/26/2015, 02:25 PM
Someone from here in Nacita's Bakersfield, Calif. hometown paid for his apartment and other living expenses, apparently--at least according to a message Nacita posted on Twitter.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/26/2015, 03:45 PM
Baylor is NOT blameless.

Dave Bliss is that you?

badger
2/26/2015, 04:29 PM
Dave Bliss is that you?
If I were Dave Bliss, I would be telling Baylor players to say Salsa Nacho was a drug dealer and that's how he got the money for his apartment. Drug dealing's not an NCAA violation! Ha! Now you can't sanction us!

*groan*

olevetonahill
2/26/2015, 05:14 PM

If I were Dave Bliss, I would be telling Baylor players to say Salsa Nacho was a drug dealer and that's how he got the money for his apartment. Drug dealing's not an NCAA violation! Ha! Now you can't sanction us!

*groan*

Like I said I dont like the NCAA but they didnt do anything. From the Article I linked!

The NCAA followed up with its own statement, denying any involvement in the situation:

This could be a case of Baylor finding a player ineligible for any number of reasons related or unrelated to this or other NCAA rules, with the player interpreting the news as an NCAA ruling and the NCAA simply pointing out it did not make the decision.

Whoever made the decision, it doesn't sound like it was the coaching staff, based on comments by head coach Art Briles.

The organization dealt with a similar controversy last May, when Boise State asked fans not to assist homeless junior college commit Antoine Turner after his story was televised on local news. A waiver was eventually approved by the NCAA, allowing the school to provide special assistance, but Turner was a scholarship recruit.

Nacita scored three touchdowns and made academic All-Big 12 last season while sleeping on apartment floors and studying pictures taken on his phone of textbook pages at the campus bookstore. He earned academic scholarships while in community college, allowing him to attend Baylor, but was not on athletic scholarship with the university.
More from SBNation.com

Once-homeless Baylor player ineligible ... but why?
What if college football had soccer-style relegation?
Map! Where non-blue-chip first round picks come from
ESPN suspends Keith Olbermann for these Penn State tweets
If this guy can't fix A&M's defense, nobody can
The South keeps 91 percent of its top recruits home

Tweet (81) Share

cvsooner
2/26/2015, 05:58 PM
He wrote on Twitter: "The bottom line is that I broke the rules. I should've never accepted the help and I am deeply sorry for my actions"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-xnKIRUsAEWvTm.jpg:large

8timechamps
2/26/2015, 06:06 PM
I think the kid is telling the truth, and the really sad part is that he didn't feel like he had any options in all of this. Sure, Baylor compliance "advised" him not to take the help, but what did they offer in return? It sounds like nothing. Then again, there's a lot to this story we don't know.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/27/2015, 02:37 PM
I wonder if there is more to the story... Why didn't Baylor help more? Surely there was some mission or shelter or the team chaplin who was on Fixer Upper recently could have helped... If not, pretty ****ty of Baylor, IMO. Just. Wonder if there is more...

badger
2/27/2015, 03:43 PM
Why didn't Baylor help more?
What if you, too, could tell the homeless person on the street "I'd love to give you money or even a place to live, but NCAA rules prevent me from being generous."

Art Briles is not allowed to part with any of his millions, and neither is Baylor. It makes the perception of being charitable and generous a lot easier. You don't have to be either because NCAA rules say you can't.

Soonerjeepman
2/27/2015, 04:00 PM
well, I hate to be the "downer" but if baylor didn't help any other "regular" student who needed help they shouldn't him...just cause he plays fball...just my thoughts. I'd love for my kid to get help...

badger
2/27/2015, 04:17 PM
I know that I'm being unduly rough on the Baylors, jeepman. I know that this is likely a misunderstanding of the rules where nobody is completely at fault and therefore everyone is partially to blame.

:D But BU is being mighty high on itself lately and must be brought down a notch. If we can't accomplish that on the football field, why not take cheap shots at them for off-field issues :D

KantoSooner
2/27/2015, 05:31 PM
The greatest thing about Baylor is that you need do nothing. Just wait, give them time and they'll bang themselves.
They just can't help it.

KantoSooner
2/27/2015, 05:32 PM
Hang themselves.
Though, for once, spell check was more accurate than the original text.

birddog
2/27/2015, 05:36 PM
Prolly giving old new but I didn't see it answered. His name on text is auto corrected to salsa nacho. Mystery solved.

8timechamps
2/27/2015, 06:07 PM
I wonder if there is more to the story... Why didn't Baylor help more? Surely there was some mission or shelter or the team chaplin who was on Fixer Upper recently could have helped... If not, pretty ****ty of Baylor, IMO. Just. Wonder if there is more...

That's my thinking too. There's definitely a lot more to this story that we don't (and probably never will) know.

I suspect the kid just used "NCAA" in his tweet as kind of a catch-all, and didn't expect it to blow up like it did. I think it's funny how quickly the NCAA reacted to the situation. Their scared to death right now, and wanted to get their asses covered ASAP.

Soonerfan88
2/28/2015, 03:04 PM
Baylor definitely could have done more and should have. They could have filed for an exemption from the NCAA to provide assistance. Also there is a special fund run by the NCAA for cases like this. It funds all kinds of things for athletes from emergency travel to winter coats. At the least, they could have directed him to local charity organizations who provide assistance for all kinds of people everyday so it certainly would not have been special treatment. Instead, they did nothing but say sorry, you ignored our rules about taking assistance so we are making you ineligible.

Mazeppa
4/8/2015, 09:23 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/baylor-rb-silas-nacita-ruled-permanently-ineligible-154802771.html