PDA

View Full Version : Now here's a real patriot

okie52
2/19/2015, 06:16 PM
Gutierrez Warns of Unprecedented Immigrant ‘Militancy’ After Anti-Amnesty Ruling
by BRENDAN BORDELON February 18, 2015 1:27 PM

Illinois Democratic congressman Luis Guiterrez cautioned Republicans against celebrating a federal judge’s decision to halt the White House’s unilateral push for illegal alien amnesty, predicting unprecedented “militancy” in the immigrant community against the injunction. The long-time advocate for illegal immigration angrily denounced the Texas judge’s decision that the Obama administration’s overstepped its executive authority.

But Gutierrez also took aim at those who supported the judicial ruling. “The Republican party is making a critical mistake,” he said. “The militancy that will be activated throughout the immigrant community — in terms of voter registration, voter participation, voter anger at the Republican party as a party in the United States — I think you’re going to see it in an unprecedented manner.” “Look, you may think you won today, but your victory is going to be very short-lived,” the lawmaker warned his GOP colleagues.

“And November 2016 is coming right around the corner, and this will come back to haunt you.”

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/413984/gutierrez-warns-unprecedented-immigrant-militancy-after-anti-amnesty-ruling-brendan

From the same US rep that stated "his only loyalty was to immigrants". Illinois should be proud.

okie52
2/19/2015, 06:19 PM
Seeing Gutierrez squirm makes for an enjoyable day.

SicEmBaylor
2/19/2015, 06:23 PM
Seeing Gutierrez squirm makes for an enjoyable day.

Yes, agreed.

dwarthog
2/19/2015, 07:54 PM
I guess he forgot about the time recently when all three branches were controlled by the Dems. Wonder what happened to keep this high priority item from getting accomplished then?

SicEmBaylor
2/19/2015, 07:59 PM
I guess he forgot about the time recently when all three branches were controlled by the Dems. Wonder what happened to keep this high priority item from getting accomplished then?

Not a big enough majority in the Senate. If you recall, they tried. The backlash was intense.

okie52
2/19/2015, 08:24 PM
Not a big enough majority in the Senate. If you recall, they tried. The backlash was intense.

The dems didn't make much of an effort in 2009-2010 when they had all 3 branches...nothing ever brought to a vote on comprehensive immigration reform. Hell W tried twice in the mid 2000s with McCain and Kennedy and thankfully it failed twice. Yet they keep tryng to run the same old bs through congress. I'm really surprised with the numerous pub sellouts along with the Unanimous lockstep support by the dems that it hasn't passed yet.

okie52
2/19/2015, 08:31 PM

He also forgot that this suit was done by 26 states...is he going to punish them too?

SicEmBaylor
2/19/2015, 08:52 PM
The dems didn't make much of an effort in 2009-2010 when they had all 3 branches...nothing ever brought to a vote on comprehensive immigration reform. Hell W tried twice in the mid 2000s with McCain and Kennedy and thankfully it failed twice. Yet they keep tryng to run the same old bs through congress. I'm really surprised with the numerous pub sellouts along with the Unanimous lockstep support by the dems that it hasn't passed yet.

They never controlled the Supreme Court. "Conservatives" have had a majority for quite some time. And, yes, they did make a major push during that time for immigration reform and they came damned near getting it done. In fact, they came within a couple of votes of getting it done. There were huge protests in cities all across the nation by both those in favor and opposed. The cable news stations were all immigration talk 24/7 for several months. Democrats basically threw all of their political capital into the effort and came up short.

It never came up for a vote because the Democrats lacked the 2/3 majority in the Senate that they needed to end cloture and bring the bill to a full floor vote. Nonetheless, there were enough pro-Amensty Republicans in the Senate that they came damned close.

You're misremembering things, to use a Bushism.

okie52
2/19/2015, 09:21 PM
They never controlled the Supreme Court. "Conservatives" have had a majority for quite some time. And, yes, they did make a major push during that time for immigration reform and they came damned near getting it done. In fact, they came within a couple of votes of getting it done. There were huge protests in cities all across the nation by both those in favor and opposed. The cable news stations were all immigration talk 24/7 for several months. Democrats basically threw all of their political capital into the effort and came up short.

It never came up for a vote because the Democrats lacked the 2/3 majority in the Senate that they needed to end cloture and bring the bill to a full floor vote. Nonetheless, there were enough pro-Amensty Republicans in the Senate that they came damned close.

You're misremembering things, to use a Bushism.

Pardon me...I meant to say the executive and both houses in congress.

60 votes to end cloture. And they had that during that time.

I kinda follow immigration close and there was never a big push by the dems when they had the presidency and both houses (2009-2010) they were spending their political capital on obamacare, stimulus and cap and trade. Neither house advanced the issue for a vote. In fact that was some of Gutierrez ire towards obama during his first term was that little was done by the dems.

Sooner8th
2/19/2015, 10:16 PM
Pardon me...I meant to say the executive and both houses in congress.60 votes to end cloture. And they had that during that time.I kinda follow immigration close and there was never a big push by the dems when they had the presidency and both houses (2009-2010) they were spending their political capital on obamacare, stimulus and cap and trade. Neither house advanced the issue for a vote. In fact that was some of Gutierrez ire towards obama during his first term was that little was done by the dems.Another consecutive/republican myth. Al Franken was sworn into the Senate on July 7, 2009 - Scott Brown was sworn into the Senate on February 4, 2010. Seven months not two years.........................

okie52
2/19/2015, 10:21 PM
Another consecutive/republican myth. Al Franken was sworn into the Senate on July 7, 2009 - Scott Brown was sworn into the Senate on February 4, 2010. Seven months not two years.........................

They still had it during that time frame...didn't they? And what stopped the house from advancing the bill? Surely you're not going to go back to Gutierrez bill that never made it out of committee.

Sooner8th
2/19/2015, 11:19 PM
They still had it during that time frame...didn't they? And what stopped the house from advancing the bill? Surely you're not going to go back to Gutierrez bill that never made it out of committee.Sixty votes for seven months. I am amazed at how conservatives/republicans still don't understand democrats do not walk in goose lockstep together. We actually had CONSERVATIVES in our party - nelson ect.

okie52
2/19/2015, 11:30 PM
Sixty votes for seven months. I am amazed at how conservatives/republicans still don't understand democrats do not walk in goose lockstep together. We actually had CONSERVATIVES in our party - nelson ect.

And Nelson was bribed over on obamacare....did any dems vote against it?

And there were numerous sellout pubs that had expressed support for immigration reform and probably would have joined a bipartisan effort had the dems approached them...at the most you would have only needed a couple outside the 7 months when you didn't need any help from the pubs. Did any dems vote against the senate immigration reform bill in 2013? Looks pretty lockstep to me.

Thankfully it wasn't a focus point for the dems during that period.

TVKaleen
2/20/2015, 12:25 AM
Sixty votes for seven months. I am amazed at how conservatives/republicans still don't understand democrats do not walk in goose lockstep together. We actually had CONSERVATIVES in our party - nelson ect.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/congress/congress-sets-record-for-voting-along-party-lines-20140203

Nah. Both parties are more extreme than they have been in a very long time.

"The House GOP voted unanimously on party-unity votes—those that divided parties—35 percent of the time, also inching past the previous record of 34 percent in 2010."

"A look at the Senate offers a similar picture, but in reverse; Senate Democrats broke their previous record on party unity in 2013 when lawmakers voted an average of 94 percent with their caucus. Unanimous voting also reached a new high: the Democratic caucus voted unanimously 52 percent on party-unity votes, which shatters the record for either party in either chamber (the last high was 46 percent in 2011)."

I'd say that means BOTH sides are goose lockstep walkers right now. That article is from 2014 about 2013 but I've seen no evidence to believe either side has changed that much.

It used to be these idiots knew how to cooperate and govern. Those days are gone. Neither side is blameless despite you're wanting it to be so. When Democrats had a majority in both governing bodies and the current sitting president they failed to pass a budget. Republicans did the same for a while. When Obama was a Senator he talked about raising the debt ceiling saying "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. government can’t pay its own bills. ... I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit." But since a Pub was in office the pubs went along with it and raised it no questions asked. But when he was president and he wanted to raise it, it was no longer a sign of a failure of leadership and pubs did not back it. The utter hypocrisy on both sides in laughable.

My personal opinion is Richard Nixon is to blame. Ever since Watergate it is almost impossible it seems to see a President escape a term much less two terms without some idiot mentioning special prosecutors or impeachment. Both sides see it as a way to defang a President from the opposite party and this vile hatred of each other has slowly infected all branches of government with the possible exception of SCOTUS.

okie52
2/20/2015, 10:02 AM
Megyn Kelly to Luis Gutierrez: Why Did You Call GOP Xenophobic?
Wednesday, 18 Feb 2015 10:28 PM
By Greg Richter

Fox News Channel's Megyn Kelly grilled Democrat Rep. Luis Gutierrez on Wednesday over his calling Republicans xenophobic for opposing President Barack Obama's executive actions on immigration.

Gutierrez on Tuesday criticized a Texas federal judge's ruling putting the actions on hold after 26 Republican attorneys general sued.

"The logic of this, politically, just evades me. It speaks volumes of just how mean and xenophobic you can be — to risk and to put in jeopardy the political future that you have as a national party," Gutierrez said on Tuesday, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

Challenged by Kelly on Wednesday's "The Kelly File," Gutierrez tried shifting his criticism to the judge and off the party as a whole, but Kelly accused him dodging.
Latest News Update

She noted that Obama himself said for six years he didn't have the authority to take executive actions to grant legal status to illegal immigrants, saying that Congress had to take action.

"I disagreed with the president when he said that," Gutierrez said. "If I could -- you know, you and I can have a much longer conversation...."

The two eventually began talking over each other and Kelly ended the segment with Gutierrez still talking.

"This isn't helpful, Congressman," she said. "If you want to hear more, I'm sure you can do it on the congressional floor."

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.Newsmax.com/US/luis-guitierrez-fox-media-megyn-kelly/2015/02/18/id/625614/#ixzz3SIVMlzGJ

okie52
2/20/2015, 10:20 AM
While many admire his tenacity and credit him with keeping immigration reform alive, others, including members of the Obama administration, believe his confrontational style can be counterproductive. He sees things more simply. “I have only one loyalty,” he says, “and that’s to the immigrant community.”

http://www.newsweek.com/pushing-obama-immigration-reform-70093

champions77
2/20/2015, 10:43 AM
To throw out the "Militancy" thing is a directive to Latinos as to what to do next. It's also known as warfare or insurrection. Nice. It's a damn crying shame that the US Congress is populated with people like Gutierrez. Instead of the lefties on MSNBC getting worked up into a lather over Rudy Giuliani's opinion that he feels that our President does not love America, wouldn't it be more worthwhile to focus their acrimony on Representative Gutierrez?

His statement may be the most irresponsible thing to come out of Congress in decades, and that's saying something. If riots ensue, does anywhere here think that Gutierrez will be culpable?

okie52
2/20/2015, 11:14 AM
I'm hoping there are riots. I want attention drawn to how "entitled" many of these illegals feel about their presence in the US. The illegals (minors) that flooded the border last summer tipped the scales back towards anti amnesty feelings in the US. Obama even put off his "executive action" until after the mid terms in hopes of avoiding political fallout (apparently it didn't help him).

I want people like Gutierrez to be the face of the amnesty crowd. When you have sellouts like the US Chamber of Commerce, McCain, W, jeb, Graham, et al, it diminishes the perception that it is actually harmful to the country.
http://i.imgur.com/ufb6pIc.jpg

I like the country seeing this, preferably with Gutierrez out front.

champions77
2/20/2015, 12:30 PM
The whole country feels "entitled" to one degree or another, but sure, we have hung up some big carrots in attracting these law breakers across the border, catering to their every need, and then wonder why we have some many of them over here. If I was a poor Mexican with a family to feed, I may be climbing that fence or wading that river too, but in doing so, I would recognize the consequences of my actions, and that deportation will loom as a distinct possibility. These militant illegals we have over here now have been conditioned by our politicians to expect and demand to be catered to. They brazenly march in protest and wave Mexican flags in our face in defiance, and make demands to us?

Keep hearing how we can't deport 12-15 million illegals? Who says we have to? Pass legislation that will carry a hefty fine for businesses caught harboring or employing illegal labor, maybe $10,000 per illegal, and you would have employers not so willing to take that chance. No jobs, and most leave on their own. Also no benefits for non citizens. The practice of treating folks here illegally better than we do our own citizens has got to stop. It is insanity at it's worst. Also need to exert pressure on the Mexican government to enforce their border. And build the damn fence! That would have been a nice public works project that would have been "shovel ready". But Obama was more interested in crony capitalism green projects to repay some of his campaign donors.

Sooner8th
2/20/2015, 12:41 PM
The whole country feels "entitled" to one degree or another, but sure, we have hung up some big carrots in attracting these law breakers across the border, catering to their every need, and then wonder why we have some many of them over here. If I was a poor Mexican with a family to feed, I may be climbing that fence or wading that river too, but in doing so, I would recognize the consequences of my actions, and that deportation will loom as a distinct possibility. These militant illegals we have over here now have been conditioned by our politicians to expect and demand to be catered to. They brazenly march in protest and wave Mexican flags in our face in defiance, and make demands to us?Keep hearing how we can't deport 12-15 million illegals? Who says we have to? Pass legislation that will carry a hefty fine for businesses caught harboring or employing illegal labor, maybe $10,000 per illegal, and you would have employers not so willing to take that chance. No jobs, and most leave on their own. Also no benefits for non citizens. The practice of treating folks here illegally better than we do our own citizens has got to stop. It is insanity at it's worst. Also need to exert pressure on the Mexican government to enforce their border. And build the damn fence! That would have been a nice public works project that would have been "shovel ready". But Obama was more interested in crony capitalism green projects to repay some of his campaign donors.What benefits do none citizens get? "They brazenly march in protest and wave Mexican flags in our face in defiance, and make demands to us?" Have you ever seen a St Patrick's day parade?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/20/2015, 01:08 PM
The whole country feels "entitled" to one degree or another, but sure, we have hung up some big carrots in attracting these law breakers across the border, catering to their every need, and then wonder why we have some many of them over here. If I was a poor Mexican with a family to feed, I may be climbing that fence or wading that river too, but in doing so, I would recognize the consequences of my actions, and that deportation will loom as a distinct possibility. These militant illegals we have over here now have been conditioned by our politicians to expect and demand to be catered to. They brazenly march in protest and wave Mexican flags in our face in defiance, and make demands to us?

Keep hearing how we can't deport 12-15 million illegals? Who says we have to? Pass legislation that will carry a hefty fine for businesses caught harboring or employing illegal labor, maybe $10,000 per illegal, and you would have employers not so willing to take that chance. No jobs, and most leave on their own. Also no benefits for non citizens. The practice of treating folks here illegally better than we do our own citizens has got to stop. It is insanity at it's worst. Also need to exert pressure on the Mexican government to enforce their border. And build the damn fence! That would have been a nice public works project that would have been "shovel ready". But Obama was more interested in crony capitalism green projects to repay some of his campaign donors.How amazing it is that so many people aren't fully aware of this!!!

champions77
2/20/2015, 01:15 PM
In state tuition at some colleges, while out of state students pay much higher, free education children grades school through high school, free medical at hospitals (by law required to treat them) and a variety of other programs that now deem it unlawful for the providers to ask for their "papers".

I wonder how compassionate some of these democratic politicians would be if the prospect of future voters was not in the equation? And please stop with the Republicans don't care about these people routine. If they are disrespecting our laws, then it is illegal for them to be here, no matter how you try and frame it. Obama should be looked at with disdain by those that chose to go about coming here the legal way. Funny how they are never brought into this discussion. Obama has destroyed the integrity of our whole immigration system, and made the ones following the law feel stupid. They should be angry about the whole sordid affair. I would be.

okie52
2/20/2015, 03:34 PM
I'm sure 8th will be along to tell us how Gutierrez is a "true patriot" and really loves this country.

okie52
2/20/2015, 04:11 PM
DHS suspends Obama order to delay immigrant deportations
By Ben Kamisar

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is suspending President Obama’s executive actions on immigration, slamming the brakes on an expansion of deportation deferrals after an order from a federal judge.

DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson said he “strongly” disagrees with the move by U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen to temporarily block the new programs, some of which were slated to begin Wednesday, but said the administration will let the legal process play out.

“The Department of Justice will appeal that temporary injunction; in the meantime, we recognize we must comply with it,” Johnson said.

The administration will not accept new applications for the expanded program as of Wednesday, when it had planned to begin processing those applications. The DHS will also not release plans to accept applications for what is known as Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents (DAPA).

Obama in November moved to shield up to 5 million illegal immigrants from deportation, in part by expanding the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program he created in 2012 and by expanding access to work permits.

Republicans denounced Obama's actions as overreach and have passed legislation to fund the DHS that would prevent his plans from being carried out. That bill, passed by the House, has been repeatedly blocked by Democrats in the Senate, creating a stalemate that threatens to cause a partial shutdown of the department on Feb. 28.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) said the court order shows why Democrats should join them in defunding Obama’s immigration actions.

“Senate Democrats — especially those who've voiced opposition to the president’s executive overreach — should end their partisan filibuster of Department of Homeland Security funding,” McConnell said in a statement.

The lawsuit could change lawmakers' strategy in the DHS fight because Obama's order could be delayed for days or even weeks to come. Johnson said the suspension of the immigration programs will be in place “until further notice.”

Hanen’s temporary injunction, released late Monday night, halted the enactment of the new programs pending a ruling from his court, which is expected soon.

He issued the injunction after a group of 26 states sued Obama, arguing he had overstepped his powers under the Constitution by changing immigration policy unilaterally.

Outgoing Attorney General Eric Holder on Tuesday downplayed Hanen’s ruling, calling it "an interim step" in the legal process.

"I think that we have to look at this decision for what it is," Holder said at a National Press Club luncheon. "It is a decision by one federal district court judge."

"I've always expected that this is a matter that will ultimately be decided by a higher court — if not the Supreme Court, then a federal court of appeals," Holder said.

Other proponents of Obama’s immigration action emphasized that a district judge doesn’t have the final say. Marielena Hincapié, executive director of the National Immigration Law Center, called Hanen's injunction “far outside the legal mainstream.”

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) backed the administration’s declaration that the president’s actions were lawful, adding that, “every president since Eisenhower has used his authority to refine our immigration system.”

“How sad for our impacted 'Dreamers' and their families, how necessary it is for an immediate appeal of this ruling,” she said, mentioning the group of undocumented immigrants brought to America as children.

“I am confident such an appeal will succeed."

Johnson noted that the court’s order does not affect illegal immigrants who have already been enrolled in DACA, and said immigrants who arrived in the country illegally as children can still apply for a deportation deferral under those previous policies.

The judge’s order also has no effect on the DHS’s ability to exercise discretion in which immigrants it chooses to target for deportation, Johnson said. 

Obama and administration officials are prioritizing the deportation of illegal immigrants who could be a threat to national security.

Updated at 4:11 p.m.

All of this wailing by the dems and the illegals is music to my ears.

http://i.imgur.com/6PFQfus.jpg

FaninAma
2/20/2015, 04:30 PM
Has Obama appealed the ruling yet? LOL. I suspect his lawyers(at least the competent ones) told him that judge Hanen's ruling was pretty air tight and would be hard to overturn on appeal.

okie52
2/20/2015, 04:40 PM
Obama to seek emergency order restarting immigration programs
By Mike Lillis - 02/20/15 01:45 PM EST

The Obama administration will seek an emergency court order to move forward with President Obama’s executive action on immigration.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/233343-obama-to-seek-emergency-court-order-in-immigration-fight

Sounds like they will file it by Monday. I have no idea how this will play out but every day its delayed is a good day for America.

champions77
2/20/2015, 05:12 PM
This might turn out very interesting. A President who does not respect the Constitution or the Rule of Law sure won't respect the ruling of a Texas judge. He's nothing I'm sure in the Messiah's eyes.

After some of BHO's transgressions I have asked myself "So this is what tyranny looks like?" All Americans, even liberals that respect the Rule of Law, yes 8, I acknowledge there are some out there, should be concerned about this man. He has shown on numerous occasions that he will say or do whatever he wants in order to achieve a desired goal. Have to wonder what has transpired behind closed doors that we do not know about, at least today.

SicEmBaylor
2/20/2015, 05:37 PM
This might turn out very interesting. A President who does not respect the Constitution or the Rule of Law sure won't respect the ruling of a Texas judge. He's nothing I'm sure in the Messiah's eyes.

Eh, W. Bush certainly didn't respect the Constitution. Clinton didn't respect the Constitution. H.W. Bush didn't respect the Constitution. Reagan came quasi-close, but still came up short himself. Carter didn't respect the Constitution. Ford didn't respect the Constitution. Nixon, lolz. LBJ, LOLZ!!!!!, Kennedy didn't respect the Constitution....

(I think there's a theme here)

2/20/2015, 05:37 PM
I kinda follow immigration close and there was never a big push by the dems when they had the presidency and both houses (2009-2010) they were spending their political capital on obamacare, stimulus and cap and trade. Neither house advanced the issue for a vote. In fact that was some of Gutierrez ire towards obama during his first term was that little was done by the dems.This sounds correct to me, too. The dems were so hellbent to get obearycare that it consumed their time and effort.

SicEmBaylor
2/20/2015, 05:39 PM
This sounds correct to me, too. The dems were so hellbent to get obearycare that it consumed their time and effort.

Jesus Christ. Do you two have the short-term memory of a gnat? They threw everything up to and including the kitchen sink at immigration reform.

okie52
2/20/2015, 05:59 PM
Jesus Christ. Do you two have the short-term memory of a gnat? They threw everything up to and including the kitchen sink at immigration reform.

I tried to be nice about but your memory isn't worth a ****. Post where they advanced a bill during 2009-2010 on comprehensive immigration reform.

Pushing Obama on Immigration Reform

BY ARIAN CAMPO-FLORES 11/29/10 AT 8:00 AM

Once you’ve made a promise to U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez, it’s a bad idea to break it. Because if you do, he’ll call you on it, and then he’ll broadcast your perfidy incessantly, with every megaphone he can get his hands on, to anyone who will listen. Just ask President Barack Obama, who failed to keep his word on tackling immigration reform in his first year in office. Though the two Chicago Democrats were once close, Gutierrez has spent much of the past two years badgering the president on the issue. “He was clear in his commitment to me,” says Gutierrez. And yet “everything has been enforcement, enforcement, enforcement”—more deportations of undocumented immigrants, more troops |on the border. “How,” asks Gutierrez, “is this different from what George W. Bush did?”

Within weeks of Obama’s taking office, he set off on a 30-city tour to highlight the stories of families split apart by deportations and to pressure the administration to take on immigration reform. One year later, with things at a standstill, Gutierrez turned more adversarial. He said Hispanics were becoming angry and disillusioned, and were losing patience with the president. In May of this year, he was arrested at an immigration protest in front of the White House. The following month, he threatened to urge Latinos to sit out the midterm elections if Democrats didn’t act on immigration reform. “In any movement, you need agitators,” says Simon Rosenberg, president of the New Democrat Network, which has pushed for reform. “I frankly admire him for having the courage to take on friends and allies.”

That sentiment isn’t shared by many in the administration. Gutierrez clashed repeatedly with Rahm Emanuel, Obama’s former chief of staff, whom he considered a prime impediment to an immigration overhaul. Another administration official, who didn’t want to be named to avoid exacerbating tensions, complains that Gutierrez “has contributed to the flawed impression that the president can do this by himself”—when, in fact, he depends on Congress to move legislation. “It saddens me … that [the president] and I have had these very public differences,” says Gutierrez.

It’s quite a turnaround for the two men. When Obama was a freshman U.S. senator, he used to call Gutierrez regularly for advice. When he decided to run for president, he sought Gutierrez’s endorsement early on—and got it. “There was a time when I was the only elected Latino that was for him. They were all for Hillary [Clinton],” says Gutierrez. “I love him. I want him to do well … But I have to be true to what I believe in.” (Cecilia Muñoz, a White House point person on immigration, calls Gutierrez “an important moral voice” and says that he and the president “are on the same side of the issue.”)

SicEmBaylor
2/20/2015, 06:01 PM
I kinda follow immigration close and there was never a big push by the dems when they had the presidency and both houses (2009-2010) they were spending their political capital on obamacare, stimulus and cap and trade. Neither house advanced the issue for a vote. In fact that was some of Gutierrez ire towards obama during his first term was that little was done by the dems.

Jesus Christ. It's hard to argue with the sky is blue when someone insists it's purple. I don't say this to be a dick -- I promise you I follow Congress more closely than you do. Let's just bank on that fact.

Efforts to pass the Immigration Reform Act (AKA: Dream Act) of 2010 began in earnest immediately following passage of the ACA. You had every Democrat with a pulse before every camera they could find pushing the Dream Act. They were also coordinating with organizations such as La Raza to encourage their members to help support the bill. I know this because I spent that summer in Austin conducting candidate interviews for the midterm election, and I spoke to a couple of La Raza members who admitted to me that the DNC and TDP were coordinating. It astounds me that you can't remember this, but the result was that there were HUGE immigration reform rallies all around the country involving thousands of people supporting Immigration Reform. We talked about it right here on this forum endlessly, and everyone was encouraged to contact their representatives/senators to urge the opposition. The DREAM Act passed the Democratically controlled House, easily, and moved on to the Senate. That's when things started getting interesting. Conservatives finally got in gear with an opposition campaign, but the effort was somewhat retarded by the fact that the 'Gang of 8' had pledged their support for Immigration Reform. However, thankfully, the Democrats lacked the votes in the Senate. Kennedy was on his way out, at that point, and 'The Gang of 8' started to equivocate and bend under conservative pressure. The measure stalled and finally died, and that was the last major effort to pass comprehensive immigration reform.

But make no mistake -- the Democrats most certainly tried along with a handful of Republican traitors. This bull**** that the Democrats didn't put any effort into it is absolute bull****. It caused deep divides throughout most of 2010, and even almost led to major rioting and even threats of violence during that year. You'd have to be in a coma to have missed it.

SicEmBaylor
2/20/2015, 06:04 PM
I tried to be nice about but your memory isn't worth a ****. Post where they advanced a bill during 2009-2010 on comprehensive immigration reform.

Once you’ve made a promise to U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez, it’s a bad idea to break it. Because if you do, he’ll call you on it, and then he’ll broadcast your perfidy incessantly, with every megaphone he can get his hands on, to anyone who will listen. Just ask President Barack Obama, who failed to keep his word on tackling immigration reform in his first year in office. Though the two Chicago Democrats were once close, Gutierrez has spent much of the past two years badgering the president on the issue. “He was clear in his commitment to me,” says Gutierrez. And yet “everything has been enforcement, enforcement, enforcement”—more deportations of undocumented immigrants, more troops |on the border. “How,” asks Gutierrez, “is this different from what George W. Bush did?”

Within weeks of Obama’s taking office, he set off on a 30-city tour to highlight the stories of families split apart by deportations and to pressure the administration to take on immigration reform. One year later, with things at a standstill, Gutierrez turned more adversarial. He said Hispanics were becoming angry and disillusioned, and were losing patience with the president. In May of this year, he was arrested at an immigration protest in front of the White House. The following month, he threatened to urge Latinos to sit out the midterm elections if Democrats didn’t act on immigration reform. “In any movement, you need agitators,” says Simon Rosenberg, president of the New Democrat Network, which has pushed for reform. “I frankly admire him for having the courage to take on friends and allies.”

That sentiment isn’t shared by many in the administration. Gutierrez clashed repeatedly with Rahm Emanuel, Obama’s former chief of staff, whom he considered a prime impediment to an immigration overhaul. Another administration official, who didn’t want to be named to avoid exacerbating tensions, complains that Gutierrez “has contributed to the flawed impression that the president can do this by himself”—when, in fact, he depends on Congress to move legislation. “It saddens me … that [the president] and I have had these very public differences,” says Gutierrez.

It’s quite a turnaround for the two men. When Obama was a freshman U.S. senator, he used to call Gutierrez regularly for advice. When he decided to run for president, he sought Gutierrez’s endorsement early on—and got it. “There was a time when I was the only elected Latino that was for him. They were all for Hillary [Clinton],” says Gutierrez. “I love him. I want him to do well … But I have to be true to what I believe in.” (Cecilia Muñoz, a White House point person on immigration, calls Gutierrez “an important moral voice” and says that he and the president “are on the same side of the issue.”)

Gutierrez would be uspet with anything short of Obama personally showing up to the border gates and swinging the gates open. His views are inconsistent with facts which is a common problem when it comes to Gutierrez.

SicEmBaylor
2/20/2015, 06:09 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DREAM_Act

The 2010 version of the Bill was the 'big one.' As I said, passed the House with ease but the Democrats failed to end cloture on consideration in the Senate -- coming up just short.

okie52
2/20/2015, 06:10 PM
Jesus Christ. It's hard to argue with the sky is blue when someone insists it's purple. I don't say this to be a dick -- I promise you I follow Congress more closely than you do. Let's just bank on that fact.

Efforts to pass the Immigration Reform Act (AKA: Dream Act) of 2010 began in earnest immediately following passage of the ACA. You had every Democrat with a pulse before every camera they could find pushing the Dream Act. They were also coordinating with organizations such as La Raza to encourage their members to help support the bill. I know this because I spent that summer in Austin conducting candidate interviews for the midterm election, and I spoke to a couple of La Raza members who admitted to me that the DNC and TDP were coordinating. It astounds me that you can't remember this, but the result was that there were HUGE immigration reform rallies all around the country involving thousands of people supporting Immigration Reform. We talked about it right here on this forum endlessly, and everyone was encouraged to contact their representatives/senators to urge the opposition. The DREAM Act passed the Democratically controlled House, easily, and moved on to the Senate. That's when things started getting interesting. Conservatives finally got in gear with an opposition campaign, but the effort was somewhat retarded by the fact that the 'Gang of 8' had pledged their support for Immigration Reform. However, thankfully, the Democrats lacked the votes in the Senate. Kennedy was on his way out, at that point, and 'The Gang of 8' started to equivocate and bend under conservative pressure. The measure stalled and finally died, and that was the last major effort to pass comprehensive immigration reform.

But make no mistake -- the Democrats most certainly tried along with a handful of Republican traitors. This bull**** that the Democrats didn't put any effort into it is absolute bull****. It caused deep divides throughout most of 2010, and even almost led to major rioting and even threats of violence during that year. You'd have to be in a coma to have missed it.

We weren't talking about the dream act that failed which I'm well aware of...we were talking about comprehensive immigration reform. Shortly after the dream act failed Obama did his first executive amnesty for the dreamers.

The only bill even set forth in a committee was done in the house by Gutierrez and it never made it out of committee for a vote. You may follow congress on many things closer than I do but I'm well aware of what is happening in congress on immigration and oil and gas.

SicEmBaylor
2/20/2015, 06:15 PM
We weren't talking about the dream act that failed which I'm well aware of...we were talking about comprehensive immigration reform. Shortly after the dream act failed Obama did his first executive amnesty for the dreamers.

The only bill even set forth in a committee was done in the house by Gutierrez and it never made it out of committee for a vote. You may follow congress on many things closer than I do but I'm well aware of what is happening in congress on immigration and oil and gas.

WTF? The DREAM Act *is* comprehensive immigration reform. "Comprehensive immigration reform" isn't a bill title -- it's a description. The DREAM Act was the comprehensive immigration reform -- the most comprehensive reform in American history. There literally is not nor has there ever been a piece of legislation that would have reformed the immigration system like the DREAM Act.

And Obama's first executive action on the issue didn't come until two years later. Gutierrez's bill never made it out of Committee because Democrats scrapped it for a different version. I don't know why on Earth you think Gutierrez is the only person who had an immigration bill or why you think that "comprehensive immigration reform" means his bill and only his bill, but I assure you his was not the only show in town on the issue.

If anything, Gutierrez is just pissed that he had his bill scrapped by the leadership; so, he's blaming the administration and party with inaction when nothing could be further from the truth.

But this idea that the DREAM Act wasn't "comprehensive immigration reform" is as laughable as it is silly. Go home, you're drunk.

SicEmBaylor
2/20/2015, 06:19 PM
I mean, okay, let me say this: If your criteria as to what constitutes "immigration reform" is limited to any bill that Gutierrez offers and ONLY bills offered specifically by Gutierrez then, yes, you're correct -- the Democrats clearly put absolutely no effort into immigration reform since they had his bill scrapped in committee. By that standard, you're absolutely 100% "right."

Sooner8th
2/20/2015, 08:45 PM
This might turn out very interesting. A President who does not respect the Constitution or the Rule of Law sure won't respect the ruling of a Texas judge. He's nothing I'm sure in the Messiah's eyes.After some of BHO's transgressions I have asked myself "So this is what tyranny looks like?" All Americans, even liberals that respect the Rule of Law, yes 8, I acknowledge there are some out there, should be concerned about this man. He has shown on numerous occasions that he will say or do whatever he wants in order to achieve a desired goal. Have to wonder what has transpired behind closed doors that we do not know about, at least today.What transgressions? Give me a list. A President who does not respect the Constitution or the Rule of Law sure won't respect the ruling of a Texas judge? Did you even read WHY he issued the stay? What obama said was - "what I indicated to him is I feel obliged to do everything I can lawfully with my executive authority to make sure that we don’t keep on making the system worse, but that whatever executive actions that I take will be replaced and supplanted by action by Congress. You send me a bill that I can sign, and those executive actions go away." "So, before the end of the year, we’re going to take whatever lawful actions that I can take, that I believe will improve the functioning of our immigration system, that will allow us to surge additional resources to the border, where I think the vast majority of Americans have the deepest concern." http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/transcript-president-obamas-remarks-on-midterm-election-results/2014/11/05/491a02b2-6524-11e4-9fdc-d43b053ecb4d_story.html

champions77
2/21/2015, 12:00 PM
Obama did zero in meeting with Congressional Republicans on Immigration reform. He spoke for years how he could not do what he just did. The GOP has made it clear for years that Immigration reform starts at the border. But no, the smartest man in the world wants to blaze his own trail. Easier for him to just do as he wants, instead of showing real leadership and meeting with the GOP to find common ground. He has been this way his whole Presidency. On the ACA, foreign policy, everything.
He could have spent stimulus money on building a fence on the border. But instead he has to repay some campaign donors with the green energy crony capitalism projects like Solendra, which is bankrupt, like many others.
If BHO is not the most partisan, divisive, leaderless President we have ever had, please tell me who was worse.

2/21/2015, 01:53 PM
Beary is fundamentally transforming, like he said he would. He's a man of his promises, sometimes.

Sooner8th
2/21/2015, 04:27 PM
Obama did zero in meeting with Congressional Republicans on Immigration reform. He spoke for years how he could not do what he just did. The GOP has made it clear for years that Immigration reform starts at the border. But no, the smartest man in the world wants to blaze his own trail. Easier for him to just do as he wants, instead of showing real leadership and meeting with the GOP to find common ground. He has been this way his whole Presidency. On the ACA, foreign policy, everything. He could have spent stimulus money on building a fence on the border. But instead he has to repay some campaign donors with the green energy crony capitalism projects like Solendra, which is bankrupt, like many others.If BHO is not the most partisan, divisive, leaderless President we have ever had, please tell me who was worse.GEORGE W. BUSH karl rove said I wake up every morning thinking what can I do for my base today. HUGE tax cuts to the wealthy are not paying off campaign donors? Cuttin' regulations are not paying off campaign donors? Grow up................

champions77
2/21/2015, 04:54 PM
Sure were a lot of dems that benefited from tax cuts and eliminating some regulations right? Solyndra was a direct investment to some big time democratic donors. Quite a bit of difference.

The super wealthy (top 1%) pay over 35% of all federal income taxes paid, and the left can't stand it. They want them to pay 100%. The old democratic lie about the wealthy don't pay taxes has been refuted time and time again. But your gang just keeps regurgitating it. What I can't understand is the super wealthy ones like Gates and Buffett routinely vote democratic. Isn't that kind of like chickens voting for Colonel Sanders?

Class envy. Saul Alinsky, BHO's role model, devotes a good portion of his book to this exercise. After all he was the preeminent Community Organizer, that is until BHO came along. Have to get the masses angry mad at the wealthy. The Proletariat versus the Bourgeoisie. That play book has been used since Marx. And you're hero is no exception. Everything about BHO's upbringing and his rise through politics and his position on the issues screams this out loud and clear. Some can see it, others are blind to it. But that's what they hope for, that a good percentage of the population doesn't pay attention, or are unable to see through it, or refuse to see it and identify it. I think you are in that last category Sooner8th. There will be a day that you see it, kind of like the German people finally saw the Third Reich. Someday.

Sooner8th
2/21/2015, 05:21 PM
Sure were a lot of dems that benefited from tax cuts and eliminating some regulations right? Solyndra was a direct investment to some big time democratic donors. Quite a bit of difference.The super wealthy (top 1%) pay over 35% of all federal income taxes paid, and the left can't stand it. They want them to pay 100%. The old democratic lie about the wealthy don't pay taxes has been refuted time and time again. But your gang just keeps regurgitating it. What I can't understand is the super wealthy ones like Gates and Buffett routinely vote democratic. Isn't that kind of like chickens voting for Colonel Sanders? Class envy. Saul Alinsky, BHO's role model, devotes a good portion of his book to this exercise. After all he was the preeminent Community Organizer, that is until BHO came along. Have to get the masses angry mad at the wealthy. The Proletariat versus the Bourgeoisie. That play book has been used since Marx. And you're hero is no exception. Everything about BHO's upbringing and his rise through politics and his position on the issues screams this out loud and clear. Some can see it, others are blind to it. But that's what they hope for, that a good percentage of the population doesn't pay attention, or are unable to see through it, or refuse to see it and identify it. I think you are in that last category Sooner8th. There will be a day that you see it, kind of like the German people finally saw the Third Reich. Someday.You just regurgitate the talking points. Who says the wealthy don't pay taxes? Well they sure as hell don't here in kansas. Show me a single liberal or democrat who wants the rich to pay 100% in taxes. Where on gods earth do you get this stuff? Solyndra, Solyndra, Solyndra....keep saying and you'll finally get off. Saul Alinsky lol now was he both hillary's and obama's mentor? Did he mentor EVERY liberal or democrat? I see reality - I don't look at the world through rush, faux "news" colored glasses like you people do.

champions77
2/21/2015, 05:39 PM
Hey Pal, don't act like 100% is not what a few lefties would like. We've had 90% tax brackets before.

Do you deny that there is a ton of animosity towards the wealthy from the left? With every tax increase, the wealthy finds ways to shelter their money in some form or fashion. If it gets bad enough, that just leave. Projections of what the feds will gain from tax increases is never seen.

Never mentioned every democrat or liberal. Do you really think that BHO has not read Alinsky? Be honest now 8th. I can guarantee you he has read Alinsky. Just look at his associations through his life. He is a radical leftist who does want to fundamentally transform this country. Probably not much about it he really likes.
Now the next money grab, assuming the Cap and Trade doesn't get passed, is the feds getting into your private pension plans, 401K's. That is on their radar. Don't worry, it will be for the "greater good". Is as efficient as the feds are in spending money, I'm sure it will all go to a good cause. Can't wait.

olevetonahill
2/21/2015, 06:04 PM
Arguing with 8th is like trying to win an argument with a menstrual woman. It just goes on an on and Ya aint ever gonna win or be in the right
He's just a whiny little bitch
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRT5lX5rIUEMerhBHUm12HfBu6m7Oc0d lQ5wfytsFHstoyetGAocA