PDA

View Full Version : On Sammie's future with the Rams....

Aries
2/14/2015, 08:14 AM
Article from St. Louis Post-Dispatch announcing new OC yesterday, mentions Sam several times....

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/fisher-cignetti-support-bradford/article_d8c2575f-309f-53c4-b43d-2696a956ba6c.html

Fisher, Cignetti support Bradford
• By Jim Thomas

One of the most noteworthy things to come out of Friday’s introductory press conference for new offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti was how strongly both Cignetti and coach Jeff Fisher came out in support of quarterback Sam Bradford.

Based on what was said Friday, there appears to be little doubt that Bradford will be with the team next season — and be the starter.

One exchange was particularly telling during the 20-minute session at Rams Park. When asked if Bradford was kept in the loop during the process of hiring an offensive coordinator, Fisher replied:

“I had a lengthy discussion with Sam, yes, prior to making the decision. It was part of the information gathering process. Sam was very forthcoming. He had some firm opinions. I really enjoyed and appreciated his input.”

So would Cignetti have been promoted to coordinator (after three seasons as QB coach) if Bradford had voiced objections?

“We wouldn’t be sitting here right now,” Fisher replied.

“As it should be,” Cignetti chimed in.

If you were seriously considering trading Bradford, or even releasing him, none of that probably would’ve taken place.

So the Rams definitely want him back in ’15?

“That’s correct, yes,” Fisher said. “He’s been in the building since the season ended. He’s doing well.”

Fisher even backed down from his end-of-the-season comment that there will be competition for Bradford on the roster next season, competition that’s currently “not in the building.” The plan still calls for at least one new face on the quarterback depth chart in 2015, but on Friday having competition became having options.

Here’s what Fisher had to say Friday when asked about bringing in an outside QB.

“It’s not as much from the standpoint of challenging Sam,” Fisher said. “It’s to have options. We don’t know what that looks like right now. We don’t know if that’s draft, if that’s free agency, or what that looks like. But when we line up in September, we’ll have somebody there.”

Fisher’s altered stance may be partly to do with the fact that the free-agent market is lean, there don’t seem to be many concrete trade options developing, and the 2015 draft is neither deep nor strong at the position.

(Sunday’s Post-Dispatch will explore the free-agent and trade markets at quarterback.)

Continuity and stability on the offense were cited by Fisher as one of the main reasons he chose to promote from within at coordinator, selecting Cignetti in a close call over tight ends coach Rob Boras for the job. In the end, Boras was promoted to assistant head coach/offense while still maintaining his duties as tight ends coach.

“Same system for Sam, same system for the rest of his teammates,” Fisher said. “That was very, very important, and it was about how we get better. How we become more productive.”

All told, Bradford’s name came up a half-dozen times at the press conference, often without prompting by media members.

“We’re looking forward to Sam moving forward,” Cignetti said. “He’s doing a great job in his rehabilitation. When you go back to last year, he had an outstanding offseason. He had a great training camp. Unfortunately, in Cleveland he got injured. Moving forward, getting Sam back healthy again will greatly increase our chances of winning.”

The team remains optimistic that it can restructure Bradford’s contract for 2015 — the final year of his original deal — in a way that is more cap friendly.

When the Rams get on the field for spring practices, Bradford and the rest of the squad will find some changes in approach and playbook compared to how things were done for three seasons under Cignetti predecessor Brian Schottenheimer.

For one, the playbook will be simplified. There will be less volume than was the case under Schottenheimer, who left in January to become OC for the Georgia Bulldogs.

In discussing changes being made on offense, Fisher said: “We need to reduce the amount of information that we’re giving to the players, and go out and execute.”

So was there too much volume in the playbook previously?

“I think we agreed that there was at times,” Fisher replied. “I’m confident that our system will be such in April ... that it will be simplified but appear to be much more complex.”

As a rookie in 2013, wide receiver Tavon Austin remarked that the playbook was like Spanish to him. By minimizing terminology in the playbook, Cignetti hopes for better results.

“The foundation of the playbook’s the same,” Cignetti said. “Coach Schottenheimer’s put a terrific system in place here, the same system I was part of when I was with the San Francisco 49ers (as QB coach in 2007).”

But Cignetti added: “Whether Coach Schottenheimer was still here or whether it was myself leading, every year you look at ways of doing things better. Something that we talked about was how could we minimize terminology? There’s certain things that we did in my past that we’ll be able to minimize terminology.”

Another change from Schottenheimer’s tenure is that Cignetti — as coordinator — won’t be as hands-on with the team’s quarterbacks.

“I’m not going to be as involved with the quarterback as much as Coach Schottenhiemer was involved,” Cignetti said. “That would probably be the biggest difference (in approach).”

Fisher added: “Frank’s going to allow the quarterback coach to spend more time with (the QBs) in the meetings and on the field, which will be a little different than how it has been in the past.”

Fisher confirmed that he interviewed Jeff Garcia for the quarterbacks coach job on Thursday and Friday. Fisher said he has at least one other candidate in mind for Cignetti’s old job, but didn’t give a definite timetable on when that position would be filled.

swardboy
2/14/2015, 10:48 AM
Wow, such a strong statement about Sam's involvement in the OC hiring process. His psyche must be psyched that the coaches are totally pro-Sam.

I'm calling it now: Comeback Player of the Year!

stoopified
2/14/2015, 02:15 PM
Wow, such a strong statement about Sam's involvement in the OC hiring process. His psyche must be psyched that the coaches are totally pro-Sam.

I'm calling it now: Comeback Player of the Year!Very much hoping you are correct.

EatLeadCommie
2/14/2015, 09:35 PM
Jeez, another OC for the Rams? Is that 5 in 6 years for Sam?

Eielson
2/14/2015, 10:35 PM
Jeez, another OC for the Rams? Is that 5 in 6 years for Sam?

Schotty was the OC for 3 years. Sam just couldn't stay healthy.

Aries
2/15/2015, 08:39 AM
I think Schottenheimer made 3 in the last 5 years (2015 will be Sam's 6th year) but not certain. Cignetti will run the same offense Schottenheimer ran.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/15/2015, 01:20 PM
I hope to see better pass blocking from the Rams line in the future. Otherwise, he won't last long, again.

badger
2/16/2015, 02:52 PM
But will the Rams still be in St. Louis in a season?

Eielson
2/16/2015, 04:12 PM
But will the Rams still be in St. Louis in a season?

I sure as **** hope not!

SoCalBigRed
2/18/2015, 06:57 PM
Have to do two things, Rams. Protection and receiving options. You can give him all the time in the World, but if he doesn't have anyone open/to throw to... moot point. Same goes for having targets to throw to, but no time.

@#$% or get off the pot and send Sam someplace he can show the caliber of QB he truly is.

2/18/2015, 07:25 PM
Have to do two things, Rams. Protection and receiving options. You can give him all the time in the World, but if he doesn't have anyone open/to throw to... moot point. Same goes for having targets to throw to, but no time.

@#$% or get off the pot and send Sam someplace he can show the caliber of QB he truly is.No shiite! the Rams have acquired and developed a good defense, but that doesn't help them score nor protect the QB

Eielson
2/18/2015, 07:40 PM

@#$% or get off the pot and send Sam someplace he can show the caliber of QB he truly is.

Sam has what he needs to succeed. He just can't stay healthy, and neither of his injuries these last two years have been the fault of protection. You're going to get touched every once in a while.

Aries
2/19/2015, 07:27 AM
There is a rumor out, apparently from a tweet from CBSSports that the Rams have given Bradford permission to seek a trade.

But according to Nick Wagoner, who I consider to be one of the better reporters out of St. Louis, it is misleading. Les Snead and Kevin Demoff have both said basically that they told Bradford's agent that if he wants to look around for a trade deal to go ahead. But both said it's common to do that, in order to get a feel for what the market would consider Bradford to be worth as they try to renegotiate a contract.

But the Rams are not particularly interested in trading Bradford, and Bradford has not demanded a trade.

Of course, no one knows for sure what will happen until it happens, but don't over react to this rumor.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/bradford-s-not-on-the-trade-block/article_194aaa99-6901-5112-8e29-68402022702f.html

swardboy
2/19/2015, 07:36 AM
And now we have articles popping up like this:

Sam Bradford trade rumors: could the Buffalo Bills get involved?

By Cory Buck (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/authors/cory-buck)  @TheBuckMopsHere (http://twitter.com/TheBuckMopsHere) on Feb 18, 2015, 7:01p 85 (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-discussion/2015/2/18/8064169/sam-bradford-trade-rumors-buffalo-bills-ej-manuel#comments)

Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports
Sam Bradford has reportedly been given permission to seek a trade. Would the Buffalo Bills be a good fit for Bradford, and would he be a good fit for the Bills?

The St. Louis Rams (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/st-louis-rams) have reportedly given quarterback Sam Bradford permission to seek a trade (http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/2/18/8064369/rams-gm-les-snead-2015-nfl-combine-sam-bradford), presumably with a team that would start him and give him every chance to succeed in the 2015 season before he becomes a free agent in 2016. Rams GM Les Snead isn't crazy about the idea, but if the conversation gets started, the Buffalo Bills (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/buffalo-bills) could be near the top of the list of teams contacted by Bradford's agent. Would such a deal be wise for either or both parties?

For Bradford, Buffalo appears to be an ideal situation. They offer a wide receiving tandem that puts anything the Rams put together in the last five years to shame withSammy Watkins (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/245647/sammy-watkins) and Robert Woods (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/193391/robert-woods). They also have a defense that can keep the team in games against even the best quarterbacks in the league, and one of the easiest paths for a quarterback to find a starting job in the NFL, with only EJ Manuel (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/193279/e-j-manuel) standing in the way for now.

The biggest hiccup from Bradford's perspective would be Buffalo's offensive line, which was among the worst in the NFL last season. The team has heavily invested in this unit via its draft picks in the last couple years, though, and If Greg Roman can build the power running scheme he wants (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2015/1/13/7537379/what-can-buffalo-bills-fans-expect-from-the-greg-roman-offense), that could relegate the line a problem of the past, and it could be the best opportunity Bradford has had in his career to excel.

For the Bills, a potential trade is a tricky prospect. While acquiring Bradford should likely come only at the cost of a mid-to-low round draft pick, that's largely because Bradford is due $16.5 million in 2015 before he becomes a free agent the following offseason.

If the Bills are serious about taking on Bradford's salary, they would be committing roughly half of their cap space available to his figure. The team would almost certainly have to say good bye to defensive end Jerry Hughes (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108452/jerry-hughes), who is likely seeking a contract that pays north of $10 million per year, as well as most high-end free agents set to become available in March. The team wouldn't be crippled by Bradford's salary, but the rest of Buffalo's roster wouldn't take a huge step forward as a result of his cap number.

But let's say the money is fine. After all, the team definitely has the cap space to absorb Bradford's salary this year, and their hole at quarterback is by far the most concerning area of the roster. They could re-negotiate terms next summer if they liked what they saw of Bradford, and that cap figure would likely be lower than what Bradford gets paid in 2015.
Beyond the cap figures and salary concerns, would the trade price be acceptable? That's where the true evaluation of any possible trade begins and ends. Acquiring Bradford is a fine move for Buffalo to make, even with a few cap casualties. But if Snead doesn't want to move Bradford, he could prefer to try and exact a hefty price from Buffalo, which would be unacceptable.

In truth, the Bills should not be giving up more than a fourth-round pick in any trade for Bradford. They don't have a fourth-round pick in this draft, anyway, so they would likely be looking at 2016 draft picks or lower picks in this year's draft. Bradford's salary is onerous, and he's no lock to re-sign in Buffalo after one season, which will greatly diminish his value around the league. There's also the matter of his play, which leaves plenty open to debate.

Bradford has struggled with bad injury luck over the past two seasons, but before that he missed only six games in three seasons, all six of which came in his sophomore campaign. In Bradford's third season, his last full 16-game stretch, he tallied 3,702 passing yards with 21 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. Since that 2012 season, Bradford played seven games in 2013, but he posted 14 touchdowns to just four interceptionss in that stretch.

If you believe that the inferior Rams offense has mired evaluation of Bradford, then you could look at those limited, decidedly pedestrian numbers and figure they could be much worse. After all, the TD-to-INT ratio improved from 2012 to 2013 to at least to a 'game manager' level. The Bills were a nightmare with offensive turnovers in 2014, and to have a quarterback who protects the ball would be an upgrade in its own right.

You can interpret the first five years of Bradford's career in any number of ways, but it's hard to argue that he isn't considerably better than any quarterback the team could find in free agency or in the 2015 NFL Draft. For that reason alone, the Bills would be wise to pursue Bradford and add him to the roster, provided they don't have to part with any major assets in so doing.

SoonerorLater
2/19/2015, 10:29 AM
I have thought that Bradford would be well served to depart ways with the Rams. It's been an unfortunate series of events his entire time with St Louis. From Bradford's injuries, to the carousel of coordinators. The offensive line has been a mess since Bradford's arrival and appears that will continue through into next year. No matter how many linemen the Rams draft they just seem to go through them like Spinal Tap went through drummers.

Even though Bradford would do well to get out of St Louis I sure hope Buffalo isn't his destination.

badger
2/19/2015, 12:12 PM
Had an awesome rookie season. Ever since not so much. I really, really hope that this is the year Sam shows everyone else what he showed us at OU (before injury)

2/19/2015, 01:17 PM
I have thought that Bradford would be well served to depart ways with the Rams. It's been an unfortunate series of events his entire time with St Louis. From Bradford's injuries, to the carousel of coordinators. The offensive line has been a mess since Bradford's arrival and appears that will continue through into next year. No matter how many linemen the Rams draft they just seem to go through them like Spinal Tap went through drummers.

Even though Bradford would do well to get out of St Louis I sure hope Buffalo isn't his destination.my sentiments exactly. No way do I trust the Rams O-line to protect him

Aries
2/19/2015, 01:33 PM
My gut feeling is there's no way the Rams trade him. I think both sides want to make a deal and will probably restructure his contract. If not that, he would just be cut. I don't see anyone trading for his current contract.

swardboy
2/19/2015, 02:01 PM
Davin Joseph was a disaster in St. Louis last year. I hope it's due to not being completely healed up, but that right guard position will really need shoring up. And that left tackle position. And the left guard....you the idea.

swardboy
2/19/2015, 02:58 PM
You've got to be kidding.

Rams hire Weinke as QB coach
5 minutes ago • By Jim Thomas0

INDIANAPOLIS _ The Rams have a new quarterbacks coach, and it's not Jeff Garcia. Garcia interviewed with the Rams last week, but the job has gone to Chris Weinke instead.

Weinke was interviewed by coach Jeff Fisher prior to the Garcia session. Fisher was very impressed with what he heard from Weinke, impressed enough to hire the former Heisman Trophy winning quarterback from Florida State.

Weinke, 42, played seven seasons in the NFL with Carolina and San Francisco, and was a backup on the Panthers' Super Bowl team in 2003.

Since 2010, he has been director of IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., where he has trained several current NFL quarterbacks including Cam Newton.

Weinke replaces Frank Cignetti, who was promoted to offensive coordinator by Fisher. There is a tie with Cignetti as well, because Weinke finished his playing career with San Francisco in 2007 where Cignetti was quarterbacks coach for the ***** that season.

BoulderSooner79
2/19/2015, 03:36 PM
What's the problem with Weinke? Just because he wasn't an NFL star doesn't mean he can't coach.

badger
2/19/2015, 03:52 PM
What's the problem with Weinke?

He's got something that belongs to Josh Heupel

swardboy
2/19/2015, 05:42 PM
Weinke may be a very capable QB coach, it's just the confluences of history that amaze me. I.E.: You can't make this stuff up.

Tear Down This Wall
2/19/2015, 05:45 PM

"...send Sam someplace..."

I'd like to see Sam handing off to Adrian Peterson, and both in Dallas Cowboy uniforms.

BoulderSooner79
2/19/2015, 06:46 PM
Weinke may be a very capable QB coach, it's just the confluences of history that amaze me. I.E.: You can't make this stuff up.

Yeah, football is a small world - especially the coaching ranks.

2/19/2015, 07:58 PM
Weinke may be a very capable QB coach, it's just the confluences of history that amaze me. I.E.: You can't make this stuff up.Well, at least Weinke got the trophy, so he should be happy, and harbor nothing against Sam.

Eielson
2/19/2015, 10:59 PM
Let's all forget that career backup Shaun Hill and USM walk-on Austin Davis both finished 23 and 24 in passer rating last year (ahead of guys like Andy Dalton, Nick Foles, and Cam Newton) despite playing in the division with the toughest pass defense the NFL has ever seen. Let's also forget that Sam was #11 in 2013 before he got hurt. This kind of information makes it look like there is nobody to blame other than Sam, and we wouldn't want that.

Sam has nobody to blame but his own body for his lack of success. If he stays healthy, he has all the tools he needs. If Andrew Luck were QB'ing the Rams this year, they'd be playoff-bound.

I love Sam, and it really saddens me to see him keep getting hurt, but stop making lame excuses for him. The Rams don't have a perfect roster, but their biggest weakness is QB.