PDA

View Full Version : John Sebastian The Lovin Spoonfull

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/14/2015, 02:21 AM
Saw him tonight in Gilbert AZ. He performed on the cheapo, a one man acoustical show. He sang prolly 2/3 of the Lovin Spoonful classics. The encore was Darlin Be Home Soon...B-. He's lost some voice, too much to rate higher. I do love his songs, though. He did Daydream, Younger Girl, Do you believe in magic, you didn't have to be so nice, did you ever have to make up your mind, Welcome Back(Kotter), Darlin be home soon.

he DIDN'T do Rain on the Roof, Nashville Cats, Six O'Clock, Summer in the City, Jug Band music, You're a big boy now.

hawaii 5-0
2/14/2015, 12:23 PM
We was always so personable. Never seen him......yet.

Got Hot Tuna acousric tickets for this June.

5-0

2/14/2015, 01:53 PM
We was always so personable. Never seen him......yet.
Got Hot Tuna acousric tickets for this June.
5-0The tickets were cheap by today's standards. Mine was $34.50, and I had an excellent seat. If you love his songs as much as I do, it's still worth going.

His voice I would say is maybe 60% of its original quality. He sings on key, but it's not smooth sounding anymore, and his range is diminished. He COULD HAVE sung all his hits, but instead sang some other songs, which were good, but I believe most audiences want to hear ALL the hits, if time permits, and in this case it did.

I had an easy opportunity to see his show WITH the rest of the Spoonfull back in 1967, and I didn't go. I still kick myself in the *** about that mistake.

hawaii 5-0
2/14/2015, 03:43 PM
Glad we can talk music.

5-0

2/14/2015, 03:50 PM
I took you off iggy for your comments on this thread. (I didn't think you would do your silly as*s ed leftist drivel in a music thread)

Turd_Ferguson
2/14/2015, 04:55 PM
I took you off iggy for your comments on this thread. (I didn't think you would do your silly as*s ed leftist drivel in a music thread)

lmao

2/14/2015, 05:22 PM
So, any more Sebastian fans out there? I thought he and his group had an excellent and very unique sound. Too bad they didn't pursue longer. I believe John left a lot of creativity on the table, not that he hasn't done well enough financially. Even though his voice is no longer what it was, he still was good and worth seeing. Nothing before or since quite like the Lovin Spoonfull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQKyG1mMgb8&feature=player_detailpage

hawaii 5-0
2/14/2015, 05:50 PM

It's a two way street.

I don't put anyone on Iggy and have never ever left negative feedback, even on the Toads of this Bored.

Yeah, I'm left of center but not by much. I pick and choose the issues. No rubber stamp here.

The Lovin' Spoonful had a real 'feel good' 'take it easy' attitude. They weren't as political as the Airplane or some other groups at the time.

5-0

2/14/2015, 06:58 PM
You're good on music. Thnx for your input. The Airplane are downright goofy on politics, but I was in love with Grace and her music, as well as Paul's music. If you don't have The Planet Earth Rock and Roll Orchestra album by Paul Kantner and Grace Slick(and other folks of course), you might be missing the best album of the 1980's.

hawaii 5-0
2/14/2015, 10:41 PM
Familiar with Blows Against the Empire?

5-0

2/15/2015, 12:00 AM
Familiar with Blows Against the Empire?

5-0Not all that much. I have the CD, and have played it a couple of times, but it hasn't grabbed me like Planet Earth Rock & Roll, and Sunfighter. Lilith's Song on Planet Earth is likely my favorite Grace slick song and performance.

hawaii 5-0
2/15/2015, 01:57 PM
I'll check out Kantner's Planet Earth. It was the sequel to Blows Against the Empire.

Never saw the Airplane but saw variations of Starship 3 times over the years. (Does KBC Band count?) Never got tired of anything they did.

5-0

2/15/2015, 02:10 PM
I'll check out Kantner's Planet Earth. It was the sequel to Blows Against the Empire.

Never saw the Airplane but saw variations of Starship 3 times over the years. (Does KBC Band count?) Never got tired of anything they did.

5-0I never did see any version of Slick and Kantner live. I have most all of their music, though. Grace Slick in her prime was one of the hottest women I can think of, and I loved her voice and style...ah, youth!

2/15/2015, 02:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u86WRd8XH3A&feature=player_detailpage

hawaii 5-0
2/15/2015, 03:05 PM
Grace Slick in her prime was one of the hottest women I can think of, and I loved her voice and style...ah, youth!

Agreed. (drool)

I didn't see them till about '74. She was already starting to show some signs of slipping. Booze

5-0

2/15/2015, 04:07 PM
Agreed. (drool)

I didn't see them till about '74. She was already starting to show some signs of slipping. Booze

5-0That would have been shortly after they did the Sunfighter album. So, their live act was Starship, or Kantner and Slick?

I don't know when they did Baron Von Tollbooth or Blows Against the Empire, but Planet Earth wasn't done until 1983, I believe.(FWIW)

hawaii 5-0
2/15/2015, 07:08 PM
Blows was in the early 70's, right before Sunfighter.

First time I saw 'em was in OKC at the Civic Center Music Hall downtown. It was early Starship with Kantner, Slick, David Frieberg (Ex-Quicksilver), Papa John Creach, but it was before Craig Chaquico and Micky Thompson. They had Jorma's brother Peter playing lead guitar.

Then saw them in the early 80's at the OKC Zoo. Kantner Slick, Thompson, Chiquico, Sears, Freiberg.

Last time was here at the Marine Base. Pretty much KBC band with Balin. Darby Gould had replaced Slick. It was the only time I saw Kantner Balin and Casady all together.

I love Jorma and Jack as Hot Tuna. Seen them several times both as electric and acoustic.

5-0

2/15/2015, 08:13 PM
The Jefferson Airplane's Last Flight album was the last live recorded performance as the Airplane, and had stuff from their later Airplane studio albums. I believe Balin was still in the band, Papa John Creach was, Jorma, Paul and Grace.

My fave Airplane songs: High Flying Bird, Somebody to Love, Volunteers, Triad
Starship: Caroline
Kantner and Slick: Lilith's Song, Sunfighter, When I Was a Boy I watched the wolves, the Mountain Song, Planet Earth Rock and Roll Orchestra

Here's the most interesting wiki, after Grace Slick's of course:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Kantner

Jacie
2/16/2015, 09:55 AM
First time I saw 'em was in OKC at the Civic Center Music Hall downtown. It was early Starship with Kantner, Slick, David Frieberg (Ex-Quicksilver), Papa John Creach, but it was before Craig Chaquico and Micky Thompson. They had Jorma's brother Peter playing lead guitar.

5-0

I missed being backstage for it by that much. That night, my dad got a call at his restaurant, at the last minute the caterer backed out and the promoter needed someone to feed em. Daddy cut a deal for so much per plate and some cash for his helper, loaded the delivery van full of ribs, sliced beef, baked beans, cole slaw, loaves of bread and he served Jefferson Starship.