PDA

View Full Version : Joni Ernst: Yes, I am a ‘combat veteran’ LIE OR NOT?

Sooner8th
2/11/2015, 08:59 AM
Let's see how conservatives/republicans coalesce around lyin' jodi after the shameful way you treated john actual combat veteran kerry. From politico - Senator Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) may not have engaged in any firefights while serving in Kuwait and southern Iraq in 2003 and 2004, but she’s standing by her claims that she should be considered a “combat veteran.”“It was only by luck and the blessings of God that my soldiers did not encounter an assault,” Ernst told reporters Monday. “Just because I’m not an infantryman and I wasn’t kicking in doors, I don’t believe I’m less of a player.”Story Continued BelowErnst’s war record was first called into question in a Huffington Post article published last Friday that quoted a Vietnam veteran calling Ernst a “fraud” for referring to herself as a combat veteran despite only commanding a transportation company that never came under enemy fire.Ernst’s Senate website refers to her as the “first female combat veteran elected to serve in the United States Senate.” During multiple debates in 2014 with her Democratic opponent Bruce Braley and in numerous stump speeches, she mentioned her status as a combat veteran.Legally, the Iowa Republican is correct. In January 1991, President George H.W. Bush declared the entire Arabian peninsula a combat zone, thereby making all soldiers who have served in the region, including on bases in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia, technically considered “combat veterans.” The order remains in effect.Ernst has never claimed to hold a Combat Action Badge or Purple Heart. She told reporters Monday that to disparage her service would be “insulting to the majority of men and women who serve their country honorably.”The 1168th Transportation Company of the Iowa National Guard, which Ernst commanded, drove across Kuwait and southern Iraq transporting materials from May to August 2003. The company then served as a protection detail outside Camp Arifjan in Kuwait.Ernst was first elected to the U.S. Senate in 2014 and was selected to give the 2015 Republican response to the president’s State of the Union. Sporting camouflage high-heels, Ernst referred to herself as “a soldier” in the second line of her speech.Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/joni-ernst-combat-veteran-115080.html#ixzz3RRd9H5Cv

olevetonahill
2/11/2015, 09:06 AM
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140209013353/creepypasta/images/a/a9/Don%27t_Feed_the_Troll.jpeg

Sooner in Tampa
2/11/2015, 09:32 AM
Dumbfvcks who never put on a uniform shouldn't speak of $hit they nothing about...just sayin

dwarthog
2/11/2015, 09:48 AM
Serving in a combat zone as solider, then subsequently ETS's from the service and becoming a "veteran" indeed entitles one claim themselves as a "Combat Veteran".

Just another liberal attempt to tear down someone who actually gives something to their country instead of standing there with a dull vacant look and their hand extended, asking for more.

olevetonahill
2/11/2015, 09:57 AM
Pay Tention :courage:
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140209013353/creepypasta/images/a/a9/Don%27t_Feed_the_Troll.jpeg

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2015, 10:01 AM
This is the dumbest **** I've ever read. She served in a combat zone regardless of whether or not she was in combat. As you know, and everyone else knows, those convoys were subject to attack at any moment.

Would you make the claim that the Red Ball Express negro drivers were not combat veterans since many of them never came under actual fire? This despite the fact they had to drive across the warzone of western Europe?

Do the artillery guys behind the lines who may never come under direct-fire count as combat veterans?

REDREX
2/11/2015, 10:09 AM
This is weak even for you 8TH

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2015, 10:21 AM
Serious question 8th: If a 90-something year old negro veteran who served his country as a driver in the Red Ball Express from Normandy to the Elbe were standing before you right now, would you tell that man "You're a liar and you were never a combat veteran."

okie52
2/11/2015, 11:04 AM
8th has high standards.

From politico - Vietnam veteran calling Ernst a “fraud” for referring to herself as a combat veteran despite only commanding a transportation company that never came under enemy fire.Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/0...#ixzz3RRc2ZEJn Do you call this a lie? So much more important than what hillary said.

Claiming to be a combat veteran, which evidently she is allowed to do, is much worse than the former 1st lady claiming she did corkscrew landings, was under sniper fire and had to run to her car to avoid being shot.

I'm sure 8th will be along to clear this up.

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2015, 11:09 AM
8th has high standards.

Claiming to be a combat veteran, which evidently she is allowed to do, is much worse than the former 1st lady claiming she did corkscrew landings, was under sniper fire and had to run to her car to avoid being shot.

I'm sure 8th will be along to clear this up.

To me, if you served directly in a combat zone, you're a combat veteran. Veterans may feel differently, but the fact that she could have come under enemy fire or IEDs is enough street-cred for me. Like I asked, would 8th tell a 90-something year old Reb Ball Express negro driver that he is a fraud and not a combat veteran?

okie52
2/11/2015, 11:56 AM
Well, see, you and I don't have the insights into these situations like 8th does.

About as close as I ever came to combat was having a son (cav scout) at an outpost that was 70 miles from Kirkuk that had members of his unit killed and/or wounded during his deployment. Now he was much more involved in actual combat than his supply units but I don't think I ever heard him disparage them for their service in Iraq or deny that they were in "harms way" or question any "combat" designations they received.

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2015, 12:03 PM
Well, see, you and I don't have the insights into these situations like 8th does.

About as close as I ever came to combat was having a son (cav scout) at an outpost that was 70 miles from Kirkuk that had members of his unit killed and/or wounded during his deployment. Now he was much more involved in actual combat than his supply units but I don't think I ever heard him disparage them for their service in Iraq or deny that they were in "harms way" or question any "combat" designations they received.

I suppose it's an issue of quibbling over semantics. The appropriate thing to say is probably, "I served in a combat *zone*." But I don't take issue with anyone who fails to make the distinction. It seems like one of those distinctions that only a douchbag would an axe to grind would make.

Sooner8th
2/11/2015, 12:19 PM
Serious question 8th: If a 90-something year old negro veteran who served his country as a driver in the Red Ball Express from Normandy to the Elbe were standing before you right now, would you tell that man "You're a liar and you were never a combat veteran."Let me show you the difference between liberals and conservatives. Joni's spokesman said she was physically in convoys that went from kuwait to bagdad. In our eyes she is a combat veteran. Now, joni did not go around clarifying she was in a convey, she said her - “boots were on that ground that is now held by [the Islamic State]”. If a " 90-something year old negro veteran who served his country as a driver in the Red Ball Express from Normandy to the Elbe" he would have made it clear that he was a convey driver. You see the difference? You will not see any democrat wearing driving gloves to mock and make fun of joni like you people did wearing band-aids on your face to mock and make fun of john decorated war hero kerry. Now - let's see all of you coalesce around fightin' john and apologize for questioning his combat record and support him like we will joni.

Sooner in Tampa
2/11/2015, 12:25 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Troll ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Proven plagiarist and liar. Just a vacuous copy and paste troll.

REDREX
2/11/2015, 12:28 PM
Give it up 8th---you already look like an idiot

Sooner8th
2/11/2015, 12:31 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Troll ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Proven plagiarist and liar. Just a vacuous copy and paste troll................................tyler durden............................................ ......

Sooner8th
2/11/2015, 12:35 PM
Give it up 8th---you already look like an idiotI joni ernst says she is a combat veteran then ok. Sound familiar? I didn't see anyone supporting fightin' john kerry here. I am simply showing how foolish conservatives look when answering was obama born in the us and the difference in how we treat conservatives and how you treat liberals.

REDREX
2/11/2015, 12:37 PM
Like I said ----Give it up before you look like a bigger Fool

okie52
2/11/2015, 12:39 PM
Let me show you the difference between liberals and conservatives. Joni's spokesman said she was physically in convoys that went from kuwait to bagdad. In our eyes she is a combat veteran. Now, joni did not go around clarifying she was in a convey, she said her - “boots were on that ground that is now held by [the Islamic State]”. If a " 90-something year old negro veteran who served his country as a driver in the Red Ball Express from Normandy to the Elbe" he would have made it clear that he was a convey driver. You see the difference? You will not see any democrat wearing driving gloves to mock and make fun of joni like you people did wearing band-aids on your face to mock and make fun of john decorated war hero kerry. Now - let's see all of you coalesce around fightin' john and apologize for questioning his combat record and support him like we will joni.

I don't ever recall questioning Kerry's war record ...but maybe I'm just misremembering. Has there been something about Kerry's war record on this board in the last 7-8 years?

So now you are supporting Joni?

olevetonahill
2/11/2015, 12:43 PM

Sooner8th
2/11/2015, 12:49 PM
I don't ever recall questioning Kerry's war record ...but maybe I'm just misremembering. Has there been something about Kerry's war record on this board in the last 7-8 years? So now you are supporting Joni?By believing her and not mocking her. I still don't see anyone supporting kerry.

okie52
2/11/2015, 12:55 PM
By believing her and not mocking her. I still don't see anyone supporting kerry.

Until a few posts ago I didn't even know Kerry's war record was part of the discussion. Thanks John for your service.

But, 8th, I'm a little bit confused. You stated that what Joni did was worse than what Hillary did... which was lying about being under sniper fire, corkscrew landings, etc...Is that not the case anymore?

REDREX
2/11/2015, 12:58 PM
You calling Old Granny a liar?-----Oh that's right she is

rock on sooner
2/11/2015, 12:58 PM
Regarding John Kerry...there was a huge stink raised about him by the Swift Boaters
and some of the soldiers who served with him, as everyone knows. I was lurking
on this board when there was a lot of back and forth. My issue with Kerry was the
disrespect he showed when he threw away his medals and, for the most part, do
not believe the Swift Boaters (talk about dirty politics!). The issue here in Iowa
about Sen Ernst was more about what she implied she did in the desert. There
was little conversation about her command being a transportation outfit, just that
she was deployed (one supporting ad highlighted the fact that she created a phone
bank for her troops to use to call home). Personally, I never was in a combat zone
and I refer to myself as a Viet Nam ERA vet, if asked, but I sure as hell love and
support all who serve(d) from the jungle to the sand. Now, I did not vote for Joni
because of her stance on so many of the issues but I would never denigrate her
service. Jus sayin.....

okie52
2/11/2015, 01:08 PM
Regarding John Kerry...there was a huge stink raised about him by the Swift Boaters
and some of the soldiers who served with him, as everyone knows. I was lurking
on this board when there was a lot of back and forth. My issue with Kerry was the
disrespect he showed when he threw away his medals and, for the most part, do
not believe the Swift Boaters (talk about dirty politics!). The issue here in Iowa
about Sen Ernst was more about what she implied she did in the desert. There
was little conversation about her command being a transportation outfit, just that
she was deployed (one supporting ad highlighted the fact that she created a phone
bank for her troops to use to call home). Personally, I never was in a combat zone
and I refer to myself as a Viet Nam ERA vet, if asked, but I sure as hell love and
support all who serve(d) from the jungle to the sand. Now, I did not vote for Joni
because of her stance on so many of the issues but I would never denigrate her
service. Jus sayin.....

I haven't been on this board long enough to have seen Kerry's military record be an issue. I do believe swift boaters smeared him and I think Kerry's actions of throwing away the medals helped them in doing so.

I'm sure Joni enjoyed the benefit of any misperception about her service. I don't begrudge her (or any convoy service person) at all for any praise she gets from her service but I can understand where a vet that was on the front lines in combat with the enemy would want some clarification.

Sooner8th
2/11/2015, 01:41 PM
Until a few posts ago I didn't even know Kerry's war record was part of the discussion. Thanks John for your service.But, 8th, I'm a little bit confused. You stated that what Joni did was worse than what Hillary did... which was lying about being under sniper fire, corkscrew landings, etc...Is that not the case anymore?You cannot even keep your own posts straight. I didn't say worse - I said IMPORTANT.

okie52
2/11/2015, 01:47 PM
You cannot even keep your own posts straight. I didn't say worse - I said IMPORTANT.

Forgive me 8th. I don't know how I could have gotten worse from this post.

Do you call this a lie? So much more important than what hillary said.

So is what Joni said about being a combat veteran "so much more important than what Hillary said"?

Sooner in Tampa
2/11/2015, 01:49 PM
You cannot even keep your own posts straight. I didn't say worse - I said IMPORTANT.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Troll ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Proven plagiarist and liar. Just a vacuous copy and paste troll.

olevetonahill
2/11/2015, 01:52 PM
Yall still feeding the Little whiney bitch.

BetterSoonerThanLater
2/11/2015, 02:19 PM
Let's see how conservatives/republicans coalesce around lyin' jodi after the shameful way you treated john actual combat veteran kerry. From politico - Senator Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) may not have engaged in any firefights while serving in Kuwait and southern Iraq in 2003 and 2004, but she’s standing by her claims that she should be considered a “combat veteran.”“It was only by luck and the blessings of God that my soldiers did not encounter an assault,” Ernst told reporters Monday. “Just because I’m not an infantryman and I wasn’t kicking in doors, I don’t believe I’m less of a player.”Story Continued BelowErnst’s war record was first called into question in a Huffington Post article published last Friday that quoted a Vietnam veteran calling Ernst a “fraud” for referring to herself as a combat veteran despite only commanding a transportation company that never came under enemy fire.Ernst’s Senate website refers to her as the “first female combat veteran elected to serve in the United States Senate.” During multiple debates in 2014 with her Democratic opponent Bruce Braley and in numerous stump speeches, she mentioned her status as a combat veteran.Legally, the Iowa Republican is correct. In January 1991, President George H.W. Bush declared the entire Arabian peninsula a combat zone, thereby making all soldiers who have served in the region, including on bases in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia, technically considered “combat veterans.” The order remains in effect.Ernst has never claimed to hold a Combat Action Badge or Purple Heart. She told reporters Monday that to disparage her service would be “insulting to the majority of men and women who serve their country honorably.”The 1168th Transportation Company of the Iowa National Guard, which Ernst commanded, drove across Kuwait and southern Iraq transporting materials from May to August 2003. The company then served as a protection detail outside Camp Arifjan in Kuwait.Ernst was first elected to the U.S. Senate in 2014 and was selected to give the 2015 Republican response to the president’s State of the Union. Sporting camouflage high-heels, Ernst referred to herself as “a soldier” in the second line of her speech.Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/joni-ernst-combat-veteran-115080.html#ixzz3RRd9H5Cv

First off, use spell check...jeebus

BetterSoonerThanLater
2/11/2015, 02:20 PM
Let me show you the difference between liberals and conservatives. Joni's spokesman said she was physically in convoys that went from kuwait to bagdad. In our eyes she is a combat veteran. Now, joni did not go around clarifying she was in a convey, she said her - “boots were on that ground that is now held by [the Islamic State]”. If a " 90-something year old negro veteran who served his country as a driver in the Red Ball Express from Normandy to the Elbe" he would have made it clear that he was a convey driver. You see the difference? You will not see any democrat wearing driving gloves to mock and make fun of joni like you people did wearing band-aids on your face to mock and make fun of john decorated war hero kerry. Now - let's see all of you coalesce around fightin' john and apologize for questioning his combat record and support him like we will joni.

second off, use spell check!

BetterSoonerThanLater
2/11/2015, 02:20 PM
IF you think 8th looks like a fool respond with a +1

Sooner in Tampa
2/11/2015, 02:24 PM
+1 times ∞

BetterSoonerThanLater
2/11/2015, 04:29 PM
+1