2/10/2015, 04:49 PM
Breaking news!!

SoonerMarkVA
2/10/2015, 04:52 PM
This. Sucks.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=209884067

ouduckhunter
2/10/2015, 04:53 PM
Shiatttt! Just when I was starting to feel slightly optimistic about things.

Boomer.....
2/10/2015, 04:54 PM
UGH!

ouduckhunter
2/10/2015, 05:01 PM
Now that I have picked myself up off the floor I would like to add that now is the time for a really, really, really high profile hire. Hire somebody with a name, and success record that is recognized around the world, and do it real quick like!

EatLeadCommie
2/10/2015, 05:03 PM
Wow. Did not see that coming, and I wonder if that factored into the decision to keep Kish. We absolutely must make a splash replacement hire.

badger
2/10/2015, 05:06 PM
Noooo kish was supposed to leave not yoooou :(

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/newly-promoted-co-defensive-coordinator-jerry-montgomery-departing-sooners-coaching/article_30f22190-23a6-516e-aca7-3fb392ebe66f.html

rock on sooner
2/10/2015, 05:08 PM
While I hate to see him go, it speaks volumes about the quality of people Stoops
hires. It appears they all did it the right way, after NSD...the kids certainly won't
begrudge a coach going to the next level, like they might if the coach went to
another college....

8timechamps
2/10/2015, 05:10 PM
Sucks for us, but good for him!

Now Stoops must go find a D line coach that can relate to the players and deliver in recruiting. Not an easy task.

At least he (Monty) did it in a timely manner, so that Stoops has plenty of time to move. I'd be surprised if Stoops didn't know about this prior to NSD.

KantoSooner
2/10/2015, 05:16 PM
This is both terrible and also validating: the guy is/was elite level. For all the morons who wanted him gone, and you know who you are, apparently you believe yourselves to be better football minds than people who are paid, literally, millions a year to get it done. And, to unpack that for you: that means you were utterly wrong about him.

REDREX
2/10/2015, 05:47 PM
Awful news----Lets outbid the Packers

SoonerBBall
2/10/2015, 06:02 PM
I'm sad for our recruits. We crucify other schools for this same stuff, so my opinion is that any player he recruited should be let out of their NLOI and allowed to sign elsewhere.

BoulderSooner79
2/10/2015, 06:12 PM
I'm sad for our recruits. We crucify other schools for this same stuff, so my opinion is that any player he recruited should be let out of their NLOI and allowed to sign elsewhere.

I think that would be all of them.

Eielson
2/10/2015, 06:36 PM

I think that OU is feeling like the recruits are. I think we knew it was a possibility, and that's probably why we upgraded him to co-DC, but it doesn't seem like we knew this would happen.

BoulderSooner79
2/10/2015, 06:41 PM
Stoops should have camped in Monty's yard singing "Stay with Me" all day. It swept the Grammy's, so it might have worked.

Eielson
2/10/2015, 06:45 PM
Stoops should have camped in Monty's yard singing "Stay with Me" all day. It swept the Grammy's, so it might have worked.

Yeah, but then Tom Petty would be pissed.

Scott D
2/10/2015, 06:46 PM
more reason to despise the Packers :)

rock on sooner
2/10/2015, 07:09 PM
See post #8....bet he's spot on....

BoulderSooner79
2/10/2015, 07:10 PM
Yeah, but then Tom Petty would be pissed.

Nah, he would get his cut.

The Grammys are the only entertainment awards I watch because it's like a real variety show. Tony Bennett singing with Lady Gaga - how cool is that? But by the end of this one, I was soooo sick of "Stay with Me". Fortunately, I DVR'd it and used Mr. Fastforward button.

Eielson
2/10/2015, 07:19 PM
Rumor has it that Bob actually fired Monty, because he wasn't able to get enough good linemen to run a 4-3.

My source will be here soon to confirm.

#8soon
2/10/2015, 07:22 PM
Montgomery is going to be tough to replace. He related to the players/recruits in a way no one else could. Congrats to Jerry! Good luck in the NFL!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/10/2015, 08:19 PM
more reason to despise the Packers :)AS IF another reason was needed...

8timechamps
2/10/2015, 09:42 PM
I heard that while he was coaching at OU, Monty donated a lung. I also heard that he, himself, did all of the "artist renderings" of the new stadium. He was also signed on to do the construction himself. All of this while coaching the diving team and working as a visiting professor at UCO.

He will be missed.

Therealsouthsider
2/10/2015, 10:15 PM
....not that he wouldn't have left anyway but maybe the Sooners lost an opportunity by not having him as the defensive coordinator instead of just a line coach....one more example of the risks/rewards of nepotism

ss

joe4sooners
2/11/2015, 12:08 AM
Dusty Dvoracek... I really think would be a risky hire but a great one.

Tear Down This Wall
2/11/2015, 01:34 AM
Yeah, gosh...how will we replace a DL coach who crafted a line which led a defense ranked 39th in sacks, tied with Maryland and Louisiana-Lafayette, and 53rd in tackles for loss? Maybe Stoops has the phone number of La-La's DL coach.

We can probably pay more than the Ragin Cajuns for the honor of getting a line to 39th in sacks. It should be a snap to get a DL coach who can get the unit to blow 53rd in tackles for loss out of the water. And, we've already got some guys La-La was recruiting from a couple of years ago...Montgomery helped "steal" them...so, they'd already know the coach!

graphster
2/11/2015, 09:06 AM
Kind of hard to get sacks when the other team's QB has approximately 5 receivers who are all wide open before he completes his dropback.

SoonerMarkVA
2/11/2015, 09:18 AM
Kind of hard to get sacks when the other team's QB has approximately 5 receivers who are all wide open before he completes his dropback.

"Forget it; he's rolling."

KantoSooner
2/11/2015, 09:59 AM
Yeah, gosh...how will we replace a DL coach who crafted a line which led a defense ranked 39th in sacks, tied with Maryland and Louisiana-Lafayette, and 53rd in tackles for loss? Maybe Stoops has the phone number of La-La's DL coach.

We can probably pay more than the Ragin Cajuns for the honor of getting a line to 39th in sacks. It should be a snap to get a DL coach who can get the unit to blow 53rd in tackles for loss out of the water. And, we've already got some guys La-La was recruiting from a couple of years ago...Montgomery helped "steal" them...so, they'd already know the coach!

I could point out that he was here two years, which means that he wouldn't have had his own personnel until this fall. I could point out that he was a top ten nationally ranked recruiter. I could point out that he was not calling the defenses. And I could point out that the defensive line was not the problem last year and that an NFL playoff teams thought highly enough of his talents to wave a bag o' money under his nose.

But why? You seem content to sit in a pool of your own excrement, waving your arms around and then bitching that you're living through a **** storm.

It'd be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

BoulderSooner79
2/11/2015, 10:22 AM

Finally! An OU football event that pleases you!

Sooner in Tampa
2/11/2015, 11:35 AM
I could point out that he was here two years, which means that he wouldn't have had his own personnel until this fall. I could point out that he was a top ten nationally ranked recruiter. I could point out that he was not calling the defenses. And I could point out that the defensive line was not the problem last year and that an NFL playoff teams thought highly enough of his talents to wave a bag o' money under his nose.

But why? You seem content to sit in a pool of your own excrement, waving your arms around and then bitching that you're living through a **** storm.

The sad thing is...I know TDTW would show up with his 'get off my lawn' attitude...

8timechamps
2/11/2015, 01:08 PM

I know you were never a fan, but the guy was a great recruiter. As for his coaching ability, I point you to 2013. Everyone figured the defensive line would be horrible going into that season, it turned out to be the opposite. The lack of more sacks has everything to do with the conference we are in and the fact that Mike Stoops chooses to rush only 3 part of the time. When it comes to production, I'd say ranking 39th in sacks was overachieving for the defense those guys were asked to play. Not to mention the fact that they were the best in the conference at stopping the run.

Coaching is coaching, and it doesn't take a "great" coach to coach great. Recruiting is a different story, and Monty was very good at his job. We'll need to bring someone in that can match his work ethic in that regard.

Tear Down This Wall
2/11/2015, 02:23 PM

"I could point out that he was here two years, which means that he wouldn't have had his own personnel until this fall."

Oh...so, the 2000 National Title was really John Blake's? All the awards Roy Williams piled up should be credited to John Blake? Etc.

Give me a break. As a season ticket holder for 20 years, I see whether or not we compete well. We have not competed better on defense since we got rid of Venables and Jackie Shipp, supposedly the problem of defenses pre-Montgomery/Kish.

It's been a long while since I've seen a defense more lost than the 2014 version, probably since 1996.

Tear Down This Wall
2/11/2015, 02:25 PM
Finally! An OU football event that pleases you!

I plus thee one.

Sooner in Tampa
2/11/2015, 02:58 PM
GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Eielson
2/11/2015, 03:09 PM
Rumor has it that Bob actually fired Monty, because he wasn't able to get enough good linemen to run a 4-3.

TDTW was my source if anybody was wondering. He only semi-confirmed, though.

KantoSooner
2/11/2015, 03:13 PM
Y'know, TDTW, I would otherwise be inclined to grant you that break, but, no; since you've decided, for whatever reason, to become the board *********, I decline.
So,
1. Bob Stoops won in 2000...with a team made up largely of guys recruited by John Blake. Make of that what you will. I tend to conclude that Bob is a pretty good coach and Blake is a pretty good recruiter.
2. I suppose since you left the rest of my points alone that you accept them as they stand.

So, I guess I 'win'.

Oh, and owning season tickets gives you nothing but bunions on your butt. That said, I agree whole heartedly that the 2014 Defense looked lost...as a whole. Some units and some players, however, looked pretty good. And of those were the D Line...coached by...Jerry Montgomery.

BoulderSooner79
2/11/2015, 03:14 PM
It's been a long while since I've seen a defense more lost than the 2014 version, probably since 1996.

I have to agree with that statement, although I wouldn't point the finger at the DL. I'm a 50K' type, so I don't try to critique down to the assistant level. Bob's the HC and it's his responsibility to field the best team possible within the resources at hand. If I did drill down further, I would have to point at the DC as the defense as a whole appeared disorganized. Mostly the back 7 (or 8), but I don't know enough about DL assignments to conclude they were not just as poorly prepared as the rest of the D.

Tear Down This Wall
2/12/2015, 12:11 PM
Y'know, TDTW, I would otherwise be inclined to grant you that break, but, no; since you've decided, for whatever reason, to become the board *********, I decline.
So,
1. Bob Stoops won in 2000...with a team made up largely of guys recruited by John Blake. Make of that what you will. I tend to conclude that Bob is a pretty good coach and Blake is a pretty good recruiter.
2. I suppose since you left the rest of my points alone that you accept them as they stand.

So, I guess I 'win'.

Oh, and owning season tickets gives you nothing but bunions on your butt. That said, I agree whole heartedly that the 2014 Defense looked lost...as a whole. Some units and some players, however, looked pretty good. And of those were the D Line...coached by...Jerry Montgomery.

We ranked 39th in sacks, 53rd in tackles for loss.

Final record: 8-5

D-line was not even close to forcing enough negative plays or disrupting the opposing offenses' schemes last season. Without pressure on opposing QBs via sacks/hurries to disrupt the oppositions' timing, we finished 117th against the pass.

Montgomery gone is good riddance. Please, Bob, hire an adult again to coach the defensive line. Get someone in here again who knows how to create pressure on the opposing offense. Montgomery, the Packers new "Quality Control" guy for defense (have fun preparing the film for the real coaches, Jerry)...what a joke. Get us a defensive line coach, Bob.

Tear Down This Wall
2/12/2015, 12:12 PM
I understand that many of you will feel compelled to defend bad coaching because you cling to seasons far in the past. Thousands of Longhorn fans defended Mack Brown 'til the bitter end as well.

KantoSooner
2/12/2015, 12:25 PM
Ah! I see your cognitive issue now: you don't grasp the basics of a three front defense. Here's the deal. The three guys up front "plug and steer" forcing runs outside. Any sacks are designed to come from blitzes.
This is a gross simplification but captures the essence. Monty's guys did a credible job at their responsibility. Our failure to blitz falls on the guy calling the defense.

We'll be lucky to get a coach any better than JM

BoulderSooner79
2/12/2015, 12:33 PM
I understand that many of you will feel compelled to defend bad coaching because you cling to seasons far in the past. Thousands of Longhorn fans defended Mack Brown 'til the bitter end as well.

Certainly not true with Montgomery as he was only here 2 years. Not great seasons and certainly not far in the past.

Not saying Montgomery is a great coach (I don't know), but don't sacks and TFL in general come from the LBs in a 3-4 defense? I don't think we've had great LB play since Lofton. But all details for me; Bob Stoops is responsible for fielding the best team possible with the resources at hand.

EatLeadCommie
2/12/2015, 12:43 PM
Monty was one of the few bright spots (outside of Gundy) that we had in recruiting over the last few years. We need to replace him with somebody who can recruit and coach well. Pretty sure Stoops realizes this as well, though I'm not sure it'll be enough to right the sinking ship.

Breadburner
2/12/2015, 12:54 PM
Hopefully Brady Hoke is on the radar......

ddub0224
2/12/2015, 01:31 PM

Did he fire him before or after he promoted him to co-DC?

BoulderSooner79
2/12/2015, 02:23 PM

Bob fired him after Monty took the Green Bay job.

Sooner in Tampa
2/12/2015, 02:41 PM
Ah! I see your cognitive issue now: you don't grasp the basics of a three front defense. Here's the deal. The three guys up front "plug and steer" forcing runs outside. Any sacks are designed to come from blitzes.
This is a gross simplification but captures the essence. Monty's guys did a credible job at their responsibility. Our failure to blitz falls on the guy calling the defense.

Let us not forget how awful our defensive schemes were against mobile QBs. It was like we were scared $hitless...didn't feel we could pressure the qb...so we just waited for them to run, or throw a nice pass to a wide open WR that had all day to get separation! THE SCHEME SUCKED!!

KantoSooner
2/12/2015, 02:47 PM
you couldn't be more correct. but that does not indict JM or the 3-4 in general. It just means that Mike either didn't trust his personnel or utterly fails to grasp this defense.

Eielson
2/12/2015, 02:52 PM

You keep screaming Mack Brown, and I'll keep screaming Tom Osborne and Barry Switzer.

It's a little awkward, but this could be fun.

Eielson
2/12/2015, 02:53 PM

It wasn't true. I had a terrible source.

cvsooner
2/12/2015, 03:12 PM
you couldn't be more correct. but that does not indict JM or the 3-4 in general. It just means that Mike either didn't trust his personnel or utterly fails to grasp this defense.

My observation is he hasn't got a full grasp of it yet, but really doesn't trust his personnel, and especially the group he was most responsible for--the secondary. 2015 almost has to be better, I think, in terms of personnel groupings and experience, but.... Whether the coach has the self-awareness to learn, I don't know. My guess is no, since his brother (the head coach) decided MS needed a co-coordinator and shuffled the group responsibilities. I fear MS has lost the players in the secondary. He doesn't trust them and they don't trust him.

8timechamps
2/12/2015, 07:26 PM

I tried to discuss the 3 man front, and how it affected the stats, but apparently he wasn't interested in that. Stats on their own are pretty worthless. One has to understand the how and why the stats are developed. Of course that doesn't always fit one's narrative, so it's conveniently left out.

8timechamps
2/12/2015, 07:28 PM
My observation is he hasn't got a full grasp of it yet, but really doesn't trust his personnel, and especially the group he was most responsible for--the secondary. 2015 almost has to be better, I think, in terms of personnel groupings and experience, but.... Whether the coach has the self-awareness to learn, I don't know. My guess is no, since his brother (the head coach) decided MS needed a co-coordinator and shuffled the group responsibilities. I fear MS has lost the players in the secondary. He doesn't trust them and they don't trust him.

I'm right there with you.

It's obvious (to me anyway) that he put too much faith in the front 3 (which was why we saw so many 3 man rushes with backers dropping into coverage). I hope and pray that the trust is there next year, or that enough adjustments are made to balance the defense. I can't handle another year of getting burned consistently in the secondary.

bluedogok
2/12/2015, 10:47 PM
Some people expect the Selmon Brothers or the 85 defense to walk through the doors again.....it isn't 1985 and the three yards and a cloud of dust offenses don't dominate football anymore. I don't expect the 85 defense to even happen again, the game has changed. I would just like a defense that could stop some people when they need to, yards are like video game points. They don't really matter, the only thing that does is the points on the scoreboard.

Breadburner
2/12/2015, 11:03 PM
3 plays go a different way and we are 11-2 ....But I agree we need some tweaking and it looks like its happening.....

stoopified
2/12/2015, 11:25 PM
3 plays go a different way and we are 11-2 ....But I agree we need some tweaking and it looks like its happening.....True but change just 1 play and we are 7-6 this year.Think about it; if we don't get the KO return td or the int return td vs. UT,we lose to the Orange Cows.

Eielson
2/13/2015, 12:06 AM
True but change just 1 play and we are 7-6 this year.Think about it; if we don't get the KO return td or the int return td vs. UT,we lose to the Orange Cows.

I think we still win. We built up a pretty solid lead before going into safe-mode.

EatLeadCommie
2/13/2015, 01:05 AM
3 plays go a different way and we are 11-2 ....But I agree we need some tweaking and it looks like its happening.....

Yeah, and if those 3 plays go a different way then we are all sitting here trying to rationalize that we got our asses kicked by a team not as bad as Clemson and we're stuck with the same lousy coaches that we fired this offseason because by God we went 11-2 and people have no right to complain.

We didn't go 11-2 because we fielded a terrible team with terrible coaching. We were every bit as bad as the 5 loss team we finished with and probably will be just as bad next year, if not worse, barring some kind of miracle with our offensive personnel.

8timechamps
2/13/2015, 02:04 AM
Yeah, and if those 3 plays go a different way then we are all sitting here trying to rationalize that we got our asses kicked by a team not as bad as Clemson and we're stuck with the same lousy coaches that we fired this offseason because by God we went 11-2 and people have no right to complain.

We didn't go 11-2 because we fielded a terrible team with terrible coaching. We were every bit as bad as the 5 loss team we finished with and probably will be just as bad next year, if not worse, barring some kind of miracle with our offensive personnel.

I don't agree with everything you said, but I do agree that the season resulted in some needed changes, and hopefully a good, long look at what needed to change.

Next year may end up being the most pivotal year since Stoops got to Norman. He made the choice to keep Mike, and he did it because:

a) Things aren't/weren't as far off as we think they are/were, and Bob knows Mike will be able to fix things.

-or-

b) Bob simply couldn't fire his brother.

I want to believe it's option a. I wouldn't have been upset if Mike had been let go after the season, but since he wasn't I can only hope he can correct the mistakes from last year. I've seen some mediocre defenses under Stoops (although it's more the exception than the rule), but the way we were thrashed in the secondary was hard to stomach.

So, I suppose I'm happy that things went the way they did last year, because it's prompted change. Not a bad thing.

Breadburner
2/13/2015, 06:50 AM
He's fixing what needed to be fixed.....I betting on a TCU type turn around.....

BoulderSooner79
2/13/2015, 10:38 AM

The '13 squad was better, but not by that much. Fans tend to blur out the struggles from that season because of the 2 game high note on which it finished. Just like the 2 game downer finish last season causes fans to blank out the strong start. The difference between the 2 seasons almost boils down to the loss of Saunders and Colvin and the huge drop-off of the players that replaced them. That's over simplistic, but just agreeing with you that the last 2 teams were not that much different and that both seasons show that changes are needed to get OU back to an elite level. Quite a few changes have been made; I hope it's in the right direction.

Tear Down This Wall
2/13/2015, 11:13 AM
The '13 squad was better, but not by that much. Fans tend to blur out the struggles from that season because of the 2 game high note on which it finished. Just like the 2 game downer finish last season causes fans to blank out the strong start. The difference between the 2 seasons almost boils down to the loss of Saunders and Colvin and the huge drop-off of the players that replaced them. That's over simplistic, but just agreeing with you that the last 2 teams were not that much different and that both seasons show that changes are needed to get OU back to an elite level. Quite a few changes have been made; I hope it's in the right direction.

This.

We were staring at going 9-3 into the 2013 bowl season until Blake Bell pulled our chestnuts out of the fire in the final moments at Stillwater. Alabama later had a colossal loss to Auburn on the final play of the Iron Bowl.

We went into the Sugar Bowl on a high, Bama on a low. And, it showed.

Our problem is that it caused our coaching staff to have a massive brain fart about the QB position. We weren't playing Alabama for the national title. And, there was a reason Bell had to finish the OU-OSU game.

Our staff ignored that and handed the starting QB job to a Practice Squad Manziel, who, really, had very few bright moments in 2013. It was stupid...but, yet, on par with what Bob Stoops and his coaching staff had become.

Blake Bell was always a better QB than Practice Squad Manziel. And, far better than The Outfielder who couldn't move us last season when Practice Squad Manziel was injured (yet again). If Stoops had any sense at all, he'd have moved Bell back to QB where he belonged last year after Practice Squad Manziel got his *** lit up by Baylor.

Stoops is now scrambling around. But, he really hasn't gotten anything with a different philosophy. We are still going to pass first and play a small defense. It's as stupid as the day is long. But, yet, we are going to tread the path until Stoops (and, hopefully, Castiglione and Boren) are shown the door.

ddub0224
2/13/2015, 01:24 PM
Any rumors floating around up there about a replacement?

graphster
2/13/2015, 06:16 PM
Wonder how TDTW's assessment of Bell would be if the OSU DB holds on to the INT that Bell virtually gift wrapped on the final drive. Bell scored on that final drive, but defense, the running game, and special teams won that game, not a great QB performance. We needed a return for TD, a fake field goal for TD, a goal line stand, a second half INT to even put us in position to win that game. Also, it should be noted that most of the yards on that drive came from Shepard and Saunders getting wide open, rather than Bell making miraculous throws. Saunders had his man beat by 3 steps on the TD pass. I would hope that any of our QBs could make that throw.

Bell was pretty average as both a passer and a runner, and did not have nearly as much upside or big play potential as Knight did. Which, given the lack of explosive playmakers on the outside, we badly needed to get teams to loosen up against the underneath passes and running game. Truthfully, neither were very good. There is no reason to think Bell would have done a lot better last year when we had ZERO consistent receiving threats outside of Shepard. I agree that in retrospect we would have been better to have left him as backup QB given Knight's injury issues, but he's turned himself into an NFL prospect at TE (and he would have had no chance in the NFL as a QB). So it would have ultimately been unfair to him to have him as a backup/replacement for Knight.

ObiKaTony
2/13/2015, 08:10 PM
This.

We were staring at going 9-3 into the 2013 bowl season until Blake Bell pulled our chestnuts out of the fire in the final moments at Stillwater. Alabama later had a colossal loss to Auburn on the final play of the Iron Bowl.

We went into the Sugar Bowl on a high, Bama on a low. And, it showed.

Our problem is that it caused our coaching staff to have a massive brain fart about the QB position. We weren't playing Alabama for the national title. And, there was a reason Bell had to finish the OU-OSU game.

Our staff ignored that and handed the starting QB job to a Practice Squad Manziel, who, really, had very few bright moments in 2013. It was stupid...but, yet, on par with what Bob Stoops and his coaching staff had become.

Blake Bell was always a better QB than Practice Squad Manziel. And, far better than The Outfielder who couldn't move us last season when Practice Squad Manziel was injured (yet again). If Stoops had any sense at all, he'd have moved Bell back to QB where he belonged last year after Practice Squad Manziel got his *** lit up by Baylor.

Stoops is now scrambling around. But, he really hasn't gotten anything with a different philosophy. We are still going to pass first and play a small defense. It's as stupid as the day is long. But, yet, we are going to tread the path until Stoops (and, hopefully, Castiglione and Boren) are shown the door.

Bell was a below average to 'bad' qb for OU's standards. We didn't have a prayer with him as the full time starter (see Baylor 2 years ago) this is a terrible assessment. It's off base if you consider how good stoops has been with the qb position his entire tenure at OU.

Eielson
2/13/2015, 08:14 PM
Any rumors floating around up there about a replacement?

Nope. TDTW is with us for the long haul.