PDA

View Full Version : Kid update college sports

Soonerjeepman
2/4/2015, 03:59 PM
As some know my daughter walked on to a juco in Ks for basketball after only playing 1 yr in HS. It was always more about moving out, living on her own, pushing herself, gaining self confidence, etc.

She worked out for the first month, doing things she didn't think she could do. Got shin splints and that was it. She had a zero chance in ever playing but the coach asked her to "red shirt" but be the "manager". She would then get school paid for this spring. Daughter really hated that idea...she just wanted to suit up, do warm-ups, keep working out, trying to get better. Sometimes dreams die hard and without a base in reality. The coach did tell her she wished she could put her heart/desire into the other girls....just isn't meant to be. She is with the team, gets to sit on the bench in team sweats for away games, has to film for home games. I do believe the pay-offs will be later in life...and worth it all.

The boy had a 'ship to pitch at a D1 Juco in Ks. Unfortunately the coach that recruited him left to UCM (a top D2 school) over the summer. Due to his negligence he didn't pass a class which then dropped him below the 12 hrs. Very frustrating because it was just laziness. He also never really developed a relationship with the HC who happened to be the pitching coach. Coach seemed to really ride C's butt and not believe in him. I've coached HS sports, so I was on the coach's side...telling him to suck it up, work hard, PROVE you belong. Towards the end there were several situations that actually led me to believe that the HC really didn't want C there. After losing the 'ship due to grades coach told C that he was off the team. C was given these options before grades came out, red-shirt, transfer, or play and get your 15 innings. When C told him he wanted to play and was going to work hard to improve mound time the coach said his mind was made up, nothing was going to change. Mind you this is after a pretty successful fall, stat wise. I've talked to several folks, even a ks juco coach, who say the HC is an a$$...but all things happen for a reason.

BUT, with one door shutting another one will open. He's taking 16 hours, working out, throwing....I have paid for a pitching coach, a former minor league guy here in town. Supposedly the guy said C is a gold mine since he has only really pitched 2 years. C learned more in 45 min than he did with another guy last year that was a scout for the Rockies...we'll see. Supposedly can get him consistently at 87/88 in 8 weeks. Dodge City, Could County (both HC played at WSU and won a WS there), Pratt and Independence are interested for next year.....told him if grades suck you can kiss baseball goodbye...we'll see.

That be the update....I thought the "terrible twos" were bad. LOL

kbsooner21
2/17/2015, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the update. Wish the best for both of your kids!