PDA

View Full Version : **** just got real!

Eielson
2/3/2015, 07:53 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12273871/cody-thomas-oklahoma-sooners-quits-baseball-focus-winning-starting-qb-job

CT is focusing on football now. I thought he was a big-time baseball prospect (I may be wrong), so I'm surprised. Not saying he'll be the starter, but hat's pretty big news as I see it, and I'd put even more money on Baker not being our starter next year.

Eielson
2/3/2015, 08:07 PM
I'm interested to know why he made this decision. His PT this year showed him how realistic it is for him to start, and he knew how much work he needed to do? He's excited for LR's new system? He's convinced this QB competition is wide open? A combination of these things?

Here's how I'd rank their odds:

1. TK
2. CT
3. JH
4. BM

This isn't to say I think TK is the answer, but as bad as he has been at times, he's still been better than CT and BM. Additionally, he's the starter, and the oldest. I don't care how open BS says this is; TK is going to have to be beat out, and he's the statistical favorite. CT's decision separates him from JH, but JH is the wildcard of the group.

BoulderSooner79
2/3/2015, 08:16 PM
Another factor could be how much of the decision is up to Riley to determine the depth chart at QB. I would hope a lot given he is both the QB position coach and OC. That should set the table of as open of a competition as possible.

SicEmBaylor
2/3/2015, 08:37 PM
Is there a chance I could start?

BoulderSooner79
2/3/2015, 08:50 PM

Start a p.issing contest? Probably.

Eielson
2/3/2015, 08:52 PM

If we had Chad President, no. But since we don't...maybe.

8timechamps
2/3/2015, 09:31 PM
I wondered if this would happen. Given that he's spent the past two years learning/working the old system, and now is going to have to learn a completely new system, spending the off-season playing baseball wouldn't provide the time he'll need to stay competitive when the spring/summer rolls around.

Thomas was a solid high school QB that wasn't ready to be thrust into action last season. I don't know if that had to do with his position coach or if he just needed more time to develop, but I think he stands to do well in the new scheme.

I'm still very interested in Hansen, as I've thought he was the best passer of the group, but the odds are against him taking over this season.

I have no idea how this year's QB race will turn out, but Mayfield would seem to have an advantage (having played in this system). I wouldn't count anyone out.

stoopified
2/3/2015, 10:29 PM
Funny thing is I heard Coach Hughes talking to Toby on KREF and Pete said Cody was likely to start in the outfield.

SicEmBaylor
2/3/2015, 10:54 PM
If we had Chad President, no. But since we don't...maybe.

If I could deliver an 11-win season, would you be okay with me purposely throwing one game a season? ;)

EatLeadCommie
2/3/2015, 11:34 PM
Unless their coaching and skillset improves, it isn't going to matter what the system is because neither TK nor CT showed the ability to hit the broad side of a barn this year.

Eielson
2/3/2015, 11:49 PM
If I could deliver an 11-win season, would you be okay with me purposely throwing one game a season? ;)

As long as Baylor is ranked, and the second game is played out fairly if it happens. Also, that 11-win season is regular season, and does not factor in post-season. Lastly, let me borrow your Xbox.

Eielson
2/3/2015, 11:50 PM
Unless their coaching and skillset improves, it isn't going to matter what the system is because neither TK nor CT showed the ability to hit the broad side of a barn this year.

Well we DID just bring in a new QB coach, OC, and soon we'll have a new WR coach...so there's that.

achiro
2/4/2015, 01:11 AM
I could be wrong on this but I don't thing TK will be the starter next season unless he completely changes the way he throws the ball. He is not nearly accurate enough right now.

SicEmBaylor
2/4/2015, 01:30 AM
As long as Baylor is ranked, and the second game is played out fairly if it happens. Also, that 11-win season is regular season, and does not factor in post-season. Lastly, let me borrow your Xbox.

I'm a PC gamer. Consoles are for peasants.
/r/pcmasterrace

Breadburner
2/5/2015, 04:38 PM
Thomas could run circles around Knight....It will be between Mayfield and Thomas.....

EatLeadCommie
2/5/2015, 04:51 PM
Thomas could run circles around Knight....It will be between Mayfield and Thomas.....

What have you seen from CT that makes you think he could run circles around Knight? About the only thing I've seen CT do better than TK is the fake handoff.

Soonerjeepman
2/5/2015, 05:02 PM
What have you seen from CT that makes you think he could run circles around Knight? About the only thing I've seen CT do better than TK is the fake handoff.

well with our RB's that's not necessarily a bad thing! lol he did have some nice runs after faking the hand-off~

* that sounded like I was dissing our RB's...not at all...BECAUSE they are so good the really good fake hand-off is a weapon of mass destruction!

Eielson
2/5/2015, 05:35 PM

Based on what?

Breadburner
2/6/2015, 08:30 AM
For one Thomas isn't afraid to make the tackle when he throws a pick...Secondly I dont think Knight could run around in circles without getting hury......Thirdly the KP desperation tweet seals it for me.,...The dip**** doesn't even know what the term power couple means...He hasn't done ****....!!!

KantoSooner
2/6/2015, 09:22 AM
All kidding aside, I have some mental images of their first night together that are chuckle-worthy. Sort of like the old SNL 'Bambi meets Godzilla'.

swardboy
2/6/2015, 09:26 AM
Suffice to say this spring is huge in QB scrutiny. I'm totally clueless as to who will come out #1. TK was just too underwhelming last year for my taste.

Whoever gets the QB nod, I hope we coach up at least three "go to" receivers. It's ridiculous just having Shepard to count on. If your job description is "Receivers Coach" then dangit, coach them up!! And while I love Shepard, please get us a 6'+ guy who can go up and posterize smaller db's.

badger
2/6/2015, 09:55 AM
I love that Cody's going all-in, but really, that's what he needed to do when he's going up against:

- Trevor Knight, the Sugar Bowl hero
- Baker Mayfield, the scout team hero
- Justice Hansen, who I can't think of something awesome to say about but HIS NAME IS JUSTICE SO THAT MAKES HIM A HERO TOO DAMMIT

KantoSooner
2/6/2015, 10:49 AM
I want to see Shake do the Billy Sims dance after chucking a TD.
And I want to hear the stadium intone, "Justice" after Hansen chucks one.

Is that wrong?

graphster
2/6/2015, 03:26 PM
TK played horrible in the bowl game, was coming off an injury, and the coaches still didn't play Thomas. After Thomas essentially threw the game away in the first half against Tech, we more or less became a completely one-dimensional running team in the second half of that game and throughout the rest of the regular season. There is nothing in his body of work that suggests he's a better passer or QB than Knight, let alone the other QBs.

I suspect that the more likely scenario he is thinking about a transfer, and wants to go all in on football in the spring so that he can make an informed decision about whether to transfer somewhere else after fall camp.

I would be very surprised if CT was any higher than third on the depth chart next season. TK has the most experience and is the most dynamic athlete of the bunch. He has also shown some flashes of brilliance, which may make the new coaching staff feel like he has the best potential and that they can coach the mistakes out of him. Mayfield has previous experience in this system and seems to be the best pure pocket passer. Don't know enough about Hansen to figure out where he will be.

BoulderSooner79
2/6/2015, 03:59 PM
What we have seen from CT is a small percentage of what the (remaining) coaches have seen. Look no further than TK last year when the coaches raved about him in practice, but what we saw in games was ineffective until the ISU game later in the season. Easy to speculate on why CT dropped baseball, but the one thing we can know for sure is that he has decided he has a higher chance of continuing his sports career in football than baseball. I personally would take that to mean he looks better in practice and in drills than he did on the field last year. Another direction to speculate is that he feels with Riley and a new system that the competition is truly open and he thinks he has a real shot at winning the job and splitting time with baseball only diminishes his chances. I had read on another board that he considered quitting football last season, so his showing on the field was partly due to not being "all in". Not many player are good enough to split their time at the D1 level, so I'm glad to see he has finally made his decision. It can only help the team by providing more competition even if he ends up transferring.

KantoSooner
2/6/2015, 04:01 PM
What I hope is that Riley's system has the capability and Riley himself the mental flexibility to take the general principles of the system and mold THEM to fit his QB. Rather than insisting that the QB(s) play against their strengths to fit into an arbitrary mold. Which is what I think happened last season.

Example: TK is all about motion. He runs around to extend plays and throws best either from the run or after rolling out. And he needs to pull it down and run periodically to keep the DBs honest. Watch how he played in the Sugar Bowl. We didn't let him do that and his play suffered.

rock on sooner
2/6/2015, 04:13 PM
I hope that Riley looks at the QB's with fresh eyes and no preconceived ideas.
Pretty sure that BS will let him do that. With Air Raid on the horizon and some
big wr's recruited, the QB will have a quick read capability, short/medium range
unerring accuracy and (prayerfully) an occasional long bomb and, along the way,
enough gumption to turn around and hand the ball to Perine/Mixon/Ross et al. All
this for more than 3 and out so the D can rest. Since some think there is more
coaching change on the way, the D will have a different look, just a guess...
when does Spring ball start?

joe4sooners
2/7/2015, 05:43 PM
To be honest I don't know why he is quiting baseball to foucs on football... He will not start. 0 chance at all.... Unless Knight gets hurt and Mayfield does too... I belive Mayfield will be the starter.

BoulderSooner79
2/7/2015, 08:09 PM
To be honest I don't know why he is quiting baseball to foucs on football... He will not start. 0 chance at all.... Unless Knight gets hurt and Mayfield does too... I belive Mayfield will be the starter.

I hope you're not Cody's life coach.

#8soon
2/8/2015, 10:33 PM

Zero chance? CT put up video game#'s running Riley's offense in high school. You would have to add TK & Mayfield's numbers to match CT's. Just sayin!

http://pbstats.pointstreak.com/individual-statistics.html?category=passing&class=Class+5A&district=&order_col=passing_yds&order_dir=desc&seasonid=TXHMFB_2012

Tear Down This Wall
2/9/2015, 11:15 AM
Zero chance? CT put up video game#'s running Riley's offense in high school. You would have to add TK & Mayfield's numbers to match CT's. Just sayin!

http://pbstats.pointstreak.com/individual-statistics.html?category=passing&class=Class+5A&district=&order_col=passing_yds&order_dir=desc&seasonid=TXHMFB_2012

Really? "In high school?" How many high school teams does OU have scheduled in 2015 so that CT can show off his skills "running Riley's offense."

Two years, folks. We'll have a new head coach and a whole new coaching staff after two more years of this nonsense.

Breadburner
2/9/2015, 11:25 AM
Really? "In high school?" How many high school teams does OU have scheduled in 2015 so that CT can show off his skills "running Riley's offense."

Two years, folks. We'll have a new head coach and a whole new coaching staff after two more years of this nonsense.

WAT.....???

KantoSooner
2/9/2015, 11:28 AM
Lovely to have you back! And seemingly recharged with a fresh tank of rage-o-line.

BoulderSooner79
2/9/2015, 11:42 AM

So it was written. So shall it be done.

Tear Down This Wall
2/9/2015, 12:49 PM
Lovely to have you back! And seemingly recharged with a fresh tank of rage-o-line.

No rage. I long ago accepted that Stoops was lost. He's now fully into using the gimmicky offenses and defenses that schools too insignificant to recruit enough serviceable offensive and defensive linemen are forced to run. Yes, some are forced to run it, but Stoops chooses to run it. And, so...hello, 8-5...and to a string of 3 to 5 loss seasons sure to follow until enough Regents wake up to demand changes.

We're now just in the "waiting for the end phase" that Texas fans had to endure when Mack Brown began picking off small school assistants and coordinators to screw up his program.

Mediocrity breeds mediocrity...and, we are hiring and signing it in spades. An 8-5 record has schools like Texas Tech and East Carolina all lathered up with joy. Wazzu fans would think they were Pac-12 contenders with such a lofty record. It makes sense, then, with Stoops unable to compete for enough linemen to run a 4-3, and a roster full of Practice Squad Manziels, that he'd give up and hire assistants cast off from the likes of Arizona, or "setting records" at crappy outposts such as Tech, ECU, and Wazzu.

KantoSooner
2/9/2015, 01:48 PM
I got THE SOLUTION.
We hire you.
You got Allll the ansahs.

Eielson
2/9/2015, 02:51 PM
I'm a little disappointed. I thought TDTW had more in him than that.

badger
2/9/2015, 03:54 PM
I have a better solution: We choose the future starter based on how hot his SS.com photo is:
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/200/LV/LVMPSCHWNRWQXEO.20140806143039.jpghttp://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/200/GH/GHXMFBYEXBZCXUB.20140806145915.jpghttp://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/200/EL/ELTRMIELECEKWKD.20140806150515.jpghttp://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/200/MP/MPHLIIUZNCFSZWS.20140203230128.jpg

wtf soonersports.com... HIS BASEBALL MUG SERIOUSLY?! he just announced that he's 100 percent football and they still have his baseball mug up...

anyways, I'm a bona fide female and I pick JUSTICE HANSEN

PS: Don't complain it's Valentine's Day week... shall I draw a little heart around him?

Eielson
2/9/2015, 04:13 PM
I have a better solution: We choose the future starter based on how hot his SS.com photo is:
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/200/LV/LVMPSCHWNRWQXEO.20140806143039.jpghttp://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/200/GH/GHXMFBYEXBZCXUB.20140806145915.jpghttp://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/200/EL/ELTRMIELECEKWKD.20140806150515.jpghttp://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/200/MP/MPHLIIUZNCFSZWS.20140203230128.jpg

wtf soonersports.com... HIS BASEBALL MUG SERIOUSLY?! he just announced that he's 100 percent football and they still have his baseball mug up...

anyways, I'm a bona fide female and I pick JUSTICE HANSEN

PS: Don't complain it's Valentine's Day week... shall I draw a little heart around him?

Are you SERIOUS???

Trevor is WAY better looking than Justice. Not. Even. Close.

badger
2/9/2015, 04:25 PM
Do I need to start a poll so that everyone can vote? I will because offseason... who is the hottest and therefore most-eligible-to-start-at-quarterback Sooner?

graphster
2/9/2015, 08:32 PM
No rage. I long ago accepted that Stoops was lost. He's now fully into using the gimmicky offenses and defenses that schools too insignificant to recruit enough serviceable offensive and defensive linemen are forced to run. Yes, some are forced to run it, but Stoops chooses to run it. And, so...hello, 8-5...and to a string of 3 to 5 loss seasons sure to follow until enough Regents wake up to demand changes.

We're now just in the "waiting for the end phase" that Texas fans had to endure when Mack Brown began picking off small school assistants and coordinators to screw up his program.

Mediocrity breeds mediocrity...and, we are hiring and signing it in spades. An 8-5 record has schools like Texas Tech and East Carolina all lathered up with joy. Wazzu fans would think they were Pac-12 contenders with such a lofty record. It makes sense, then, with Stoops unable to compete for enough linemen to run a 4-3, and a roster full of Practice Squad Manziels, that he'd give up and hire assistants cast off from the likes of Arizona, or "setting records" at crappy outposts such as Tech, ECU, and Wazzu.

If we lose, it'll be because we don't get the defense turned around and because we don't develop/recruit a good QB. Doesn't really matter what system you run if the QB isn't executing.

Also, recruiting OL hasn't been the problem at all. And neither has DL. LB has actually been the problematic position in terms of recruiting over the last few seasons.

LOL at your assessment of this offense. This is the offense that TCU ran last year too, and they were on the doorstep of playing for a NC. Oregon and Ohio State both ran spread offenses (different style). Outside of Alabama (who spread it out a lot more this year than they have in the past), who out there is running a traditional pro-style offense?

Eielson
2/9/2015, 08:50 PM
Do I need to start a poll so that everyone can vote? I will because offseason... who is the hottest and therefore most-eligible-to-start-at-quarterback Sooner?

Yes.

#8soon
2/9/2015, 10:48 PM

TDTW, I wasn't talking to you. If you want to talk college games then fine.

CT averaged 40 points a game in his first 3 starts, all against Big 12 teams. The bedlam game he started the game 8 for 8. Can you name the last OU QB to accomplish either one? I can.... Bradford. Thomas will avg 60 a game in this new offense. We just need our D to hold em to 59!

8timechamps
2/9/2015, 11:03 PM

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

I suppose Knight could be the starter, if he improves greatly between now and next season. As for Mayfield, I know he's the popular guy right now (as is always the case when the starter is struggling), but there's no guarantee he's the next great QB. By quitting baseball, CT can use the time to at least stay even with the other QBs in the classroom. If he were to play baseball, he's be way behind those other guys when he rejoins the team.

It's also possible that one (or more) of the football coaches recommended he focus on football. They see a lot more than we do.

8timechamps
2/9/2015, 11:10 PM

The problem with that logic is that it's wrong.

The Oregon Ducks want to remind you that they were just in the national title game (second time in 5 years) running that "gimmicky" offense. Sure, you could argue that they didn't win it all, but I would say that a) you have to be in it to lose, and b) they beat Florida State running it and they were in both national title games they lost.

Also, Oregon just finished a 13-2 season running that offense. On the other hand, OU just finished an 8-5 season running a run-heavy offense. I'll take the 13-2 season 10 times out of 10.

OU will never be Texas Tech or Washington State. Contrary to some edge dwellers, OU continues to recruit top 20 classes...something Tech and/or Wazzu can only dream about.

Soonerfan88
2/10/2015, 12:27 AM
Sorry, this female believes that CT is the hottest. Yes, we need a poll.

Tear Down This Wall
2/10/2015, 10:55 AM
The problem with that logic is that it's wrong.

The Oregon Ducks want to remind you that they were just in the national title game (second time in 5 years) running that "gimmicky" offense. Sure, you could argue that they didn't win it all, but I would say that a) you have to be in it to lose, and b) they beat Florida State running it and they were in both national title games they lost.

Also, Oregon just finished a 13-2 season running that offense. On the other hand, OU just finished an 8-5 season running a run-heavy offense. I'll take the 13-2 season 10 times out of 10.

OU will never be Texas Tech or Washington State. Contrary to some edge dwellers, OU continues to recruit top 20 classes...something Tech and/or Wazzu can only dream about.

At 8-5, OU is already as mediocre at Texas Tech and East Carolina. Whether they become as bad as Wazzu...only time will tell. But, we do have the coaching staff to take us there on the offensive side of the ball. Besides Gundy, all from the mediocrity that is the Mumme/Leach coaching tree.

Defensive side is full of the failed "Mike head coach at Arizona" experiment, downfallen Michigan, and 5 loss Notre Dame - a staff full of coaches getting players at big name schools to underachieve as a unit.

Unimpressed.

The losses to Texas will be the nails in the coffin for Stoops. A terrible Texas team, whose QB was shockingly worse than Practice Squad Manziel, almost beat us. Strong already has the defense. A minimal gain at QB will have him on a 2-4 year win streak over Stoops...if the OU Regents don't wake up first.

With Aggy South petering out under Sumlin, Strong will have Texas at the top of recruits in Texas. And, because he isn't afraid to elsewhere to the get the best players, like Mack was, he'll have teams well rounded enough to compete for national titles...while we set passing records and lose 3-5 games a year.

Breadburner
2/10/2015, 11:03 AM
Jesus..... you are truly stupid.....

Tear Down This Wall
2/10/2015, 11:06 AM
TDTW, I wasn't talking to you. If you want to talk college games then fine.

CT averaged 40 points a game in his first 3 starts, all against Big 12 teams. The OU-OSU game he started the game 8 for 8. Can you name the last OU QB to accomplish either one? I can.... Bradford. Thomas will avg 60 a game in this new offense. We just need our D to hold em to 59!

He might get 60 against Akron and Tulsa. But, they are Akron and Tulsa. Maybe Kansas and Iowa State in conference. No one really cares. Any offense we use could score in droves against those four. No one cares.

After getting our butts handed to us against Baylor, no one said, "Yeah, well...we hung 59 on Iowa State last week, so...there's no problem. We have an offense that can score 59! Look, we scored 52 against Tulsa as well! And, 48 against Louisiana Tech! I mean, who puts up those kinds of numbers against Iowa State, Tulsa, and La Tech! Nobody else! We rule!"

Get real. Stoops has chosen mediocrity because he's lost all context about where he is coaching. He now coaches down to the level that the Big 12 has sunken over the past decade, just as Mack Brown did. And, he'll continue to pay for it with 3-5 loss seasons. The only questions remaining now are, how long will the Regents let it slide, and will they just give Stoop the ax or completely clean house from top to bottom the way Texas finally did.

BoulderSooner79
2/10/2015, 11:06 AM
At 8-5, OU is already as mediocre at Texas Tech and East Carolina. Whether they become as bad as Wazzu...only time will tell. But, we do have the coaching staff to take us there on the offensive side of the ball. Besides Gundy, all from the mediocrity that is the Mumme/Leach coaching tree.

Defensive side is full of the failed "Mike head coach at Arizona" experiment, downfallen Michigan, and 5 loss Notre Dame - a staff full of coaches getting players at big name schools to underachieve as a unit.

Unimpressed.

The losses to Texas will be the nails in the coffin for Stoops. A terrible Texas team, whose QB was shockingly worse than Practice Squad Manziel, almost beat us. Strong already has the defense. A minimal gain at QB will have him on a 2-4 year win streak over Stoops...if the OU Regents don't wake up first.

With Aggy South petering out under Sumlin, Strong will have Texas at the top of recruits in Texas. And, because he isn't afraid to elsewhere to the get the best players, like Mack was, he'll have teams well rounded enough to compete for national titles...while we set passing records and lose 3-5 games a year.

You haven't predicted the most important outcome: which of our 4 QBs will top the who is hottest pole?

Tear Down This Wall
2/10/2015, 11:10 AM
You haven't predicted the most important outcome: which of our 4 QBs will top the who is hottest pole?

That's up to Katy Perry, the few women who post, and the fags. The QB could look like Rumpelstiltskin for all I care, as long as he can complete a ball farther than four yard laterally.

EatLeadCommie
2/10/2015, 11:12 AM

I hope none of them are topping anybody's pole. We don't need that kind of unwanted attention from the media. Just look at Michael Sam as an example.

BoulderSooner79
2/10/2015, 11:15 AM
That's up to Katy Perry, the few women who post, and the fags. The QB could look like Rumpelstiltskin for all I care, as long as he can complete a ball farther than four yard laterally.

Oh come on. You can vote as long as you include a no-homo disclaimer. Or maybe you can say "I think QB XXX is hottest - in a manly, viking sort of way". You know you wanna vote.

Tear Down This Wall
2/10/2015, 11:16 AM
Jesus..... you are truly stupid.....

I am stupid enough to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against Oklahoma State? Or, to lose by 34 with a month to prepare for a bowl game?

Am I stupid enough to hire another Leach coordinator to throw 60 passes a game when I have one of the best running backs in the game?

No, I don't think so. Only post-2008 Bob Stoops is that kind of stupid. I don't know who neutered Stoops after 2008, but the balls are definitely gone. He's got the mid-major offense and defense...and 8-5 records that go along with it...to prove it.

Eielson
2/10/2015, 12:14 PM
That's up to Katy Perry, the few women who post, and the fags.

You're sounding kinda homophobic. You know what they say about homophobes....

#8soon
2/10/2015, 03:04 PM
He might get 60 against Akron and Tulsa. But, they are Akron and Tulsa. Maybe Kansas and Iowa State in conference. No one really cares. Any offense we use could score in droves against those four. No one cares.

After getting our butts handed to us against Baylor, no one said, "Yeah, well...we hung 59 on Iowa State last week, so...there's no problem. We have an offense that can score 59! Look, we scored 52 against Tulsa as well! And, 48 against Louisiana Tech! I mean, who puts up those kinds of numbers against Iowa State, Tulsa, and La Tech! Nobody else! We rule!"

Get real. Stoops has chosen mediocrity because he's lost all context about where he is coaching. He now coaches down to the level that the Big 12 has sunken over the past decade, just as Mack Brown did. And, he'll continue to pay for it with 3-5 loss seasons. The only questions remaining now are, how long will the Regents let it slide, and will they just give Stoop the ax or completely clean house from top to bottom the way Texas finally did.

Man! Step back from the ledge. The topic of this thread was how CT's decision to go all in on football was going to impact the qb competition. I suspect he got enough positive feedback that he has a good chance to play at the next level. TK has had 2 years to prove himself, Baker proved to be a human turnover machine and Justice aint anywhere near ready. The coaches need to go all in on CT and give him a shot at being the guy to start the season rather than inheriting a dumpster fire where everyone is playing for pride

Why don't you start a thread "Bob Stoops is done" and you can post all your gloom n doom there

KantoSooner
2/10/2015, 03:05 PM
You know where he works. Just go right on down there and tell the SOB he's got no balls.
Unless of course, you don't have the balls for it.

Pride1Mom
2/12/2015, 10:31 AM
He should stay with baseball. You can have a longer career in it. And you don't get your head bashed in.

Eielson
2/12/2015, 02:55 PM
He should stay with baseball. You can have a longer career in it. And you don't get your head bashed in.

Longer career? Peyton Manning is almost 40. The NFL takes care of their QB's much better than the MLB takes care of their pitchers.

BoulderSooner79
2/12/2015, 04:13 PM

At this stage of his young career, he has to decide in which sport he is most likely to make it the pros. The odds are against him either way, but looks like he has made his choice.

8timechamps
2/13/2015, 11:23 PM

Unimpressed.

We'll agree to disagree. My position is that teams can win throwing the ball. The game has changed, and having a great running game no longer guarantees success (at least at the level we want to see). We had about as good a ground game as we've had since Murray left, and it netted us an 8-5 record. Rushing the ball is still an important part of having a successful offense, but it's no longer the only way to win.

I can't really argue much about the defense as it's not been anywhere close to what we need. I'm holding off on my opinion of the new defensive coaches, until they've had a chance to show they can or can't get the job done. I'm happy with the hires, but that means very little.

We'll see soon which of us is right.

Tear Down This Wall
2/17/2015, 11:01 AM
Longer career? Peyton Manning is almost 40. The NFL takes care of their QB's much better than the MLB takes care of their pitchers.

Which means nothing in discussions of Cody Thomas because he was an outfielder: http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=750376&SPID=127257&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=209395287&Q_SEASON=2013

And, an outfielder who pitched zero innings for OU in 2014: http://www.soonersports.com//pdf9/2727924.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=31000

The reason Thomas should play football instead of baseball is he hit .083...and, he's not a pitcher. So, any talk of him flirting with a Major League career, anyway, was simply fantasy.

And, as we've seen from his time at QB, any talk of him having an NFL career is also nothing but fantasy. He'd be a great player at a Sam Houston State or Eastern Washington; somewhere with slower defenses that don't take as much reading.

Sooner in Tampa
2/17/2015, 11:11 AM
TDTW is a bitter, bitter, MFer!

#8soon
2/17/2015, 09:40 PM
Which means nothing in discussions of Cody Thomas because he was an outfielder: http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=750376&SPID=127257&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=209395287&Q_SEASON=2013

And, an outfielder who pitched zero innings for OU in 2014: http://www.soonersports.com//pdf9/2727924.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=31000

The reason Thomas should play football instead of baseball is he hit .083...and, he's not a pitcher. So, any talk of him flirting with a Major League career, anyway, was simply fantasy.

And, as we've seen from his time at QB, any talk of him having an NFL career is also nothing but fantasy. He'd be a great player at a Sam Houston State or Eastern Washington; somewhere with slower defenses that don't take as much reading.

TDTW, the New York Yankees don't draft "fantasy" and the fact that you throw out a bat avg based on 12 ab's proves you don't know squat about baseball. I already know you don't know squat about football.

Eielson
2/17/2015, 11:40 PM
TDTW, the New York Yankees don't draft "fantasy" and the fact that you throw out a bat avg based on 12 ab's proves you don't know squat about baseball. I already know you don't know squat about football.

He complained about Walker not getting any tackles his redshirt season. He's a lost cause.

Tear Down This Wall
2/18/2015, 12:41 PM

Call me when he suits up for the Yankees. I'm sure the Majors are just brimming with guys who can't hit college pitching.

Eielson
2/20/2015, 03:21 PM
Call me when he suits up for the Yankees. I'm sure the Majors are just brimming with guys who can't hit college pitching.

I think it's a safe bet he won't ever play for the Yankees, seeing as he just gave up the sport that the Yankees generally play.

badger
2/20/2015, 04:06 PM
If it matters, I'm pretty sure Baker Mayfield won the SF.com poll. I think Trevor was second

Tear Down This Wall
2/23/2015, 01:18 PM
I think it's a safe bet he won't ever play for the Yankees, seeing as he just gave up the sport that the Yankees generally play.

Don't tell me. I already know he'll never play major league ball or in the NFL. As of now, he's wasting good scholarship space in either sport. It's #8soon who begs to differ regarding his baseball talents, not me.

Tear Down This Wall
2/23/2015, 01:21 PM
If it matters, I'm pretty sure Baker Mayfield won the SF.com poll. I think Trevor was second

Horrifying that we've become Texas Tech clones, right down to former players and coaches. Hard to believe that Bob Stoops has become this stupid. Next step is crappy new uniforms for every other game.

Oh, well...two more years at most. The Texas money allowed Mack to slowly run the Longhorns into the ground. Cue, "We've Only Just Begun" and wait for the same fate.

Eielson
2/23/2015, 04:16 PM
Don't tell me. I already know he'll never play major league ball or in the NFL. As of now, he's wasting good scholarship space in either sport. It's #8soon who begs to differ regarding his baseball talents, not me.

While on the topic of making ridiculous wagers, I'm going to bet that Archie Bradley never plays in the NFL.

BoulderSooner79
2/23/2015, 06:01 PM
Horrifying that we've become Texas Tech clones, right down to former players and coaches. Hard to believe that Bob Stoops has become this stupid. Next step is crappy new uniforms for every other game.

Oh, well...two more years at most. The Texas money allowed Mack to slowly run the Longhorns into the ground. Cue, "We've Only Just Begun" and wait for the same fate.

Look on the bright side. You'll have two years of crowing about the accuracy of your Nostradamus-esque quatrains as the program sinks into the abyss. And if by some minute chance (probably by divine intervention) things don't go as you predicted, you'll just as eagerly return to eat a bit of crow - no?

KantoSooner
2/23/2015, 07:47 PM
Switzer was pretty well washed up in the early 80's

Turned out he wasn't quite as stupid as the 'fans' who were calling for his head

SoonerorLater
2/23/2015, 07:58 PM

Huh? Don't you think you're borrowing a lot of trouble. How do you know if this offense will or will not be viable?

SanJoaquinSooner
2/24/2015, 02:36 AM
For one Thomas isn't afraid to make the tackle when he throws a pick...Secondly I dont think Knight could run around in circles without getting hury......Thirdly the KP desperation tweet seals it for me.,...The dip**** doesn't even know what the term power couple means...He hasn't done ****....!!!

good points I hadn't considered.

Tear Down This Wall
2/25/2015, 11:34 AM
Huh? Don't you think you're borrowing a lot of trouble. How do you know if this offense will or will not be viable?

Leach's track record of no championships, and that of his coaching tree. It's the biggest fleecing in college football.

I can also look at the roster and see the collection of stiffs at quarterback, the stable of strong running backs, and realize that Stoops doesn't understand where the talent is on his own roster.

We'll be treated to a football team with average QBs and receivers running a high school offense, putting our already inept defense back on the field time after time, until we wake up with two more 3-5 loss seasons.

It's done. And, the comparisons to Switzer are wholly laughable. Not even going to address. Some pretend Bob worthy to be mentioned in the same breath as Bud and Barry, but it's nothing but fluff. Longer seasons gave him the opportunity to win more; but his winning percentage will never equal Bud or Barry. Nor will he ever win three national title. He'll ever win a second.

When his tenure is done, the story will be of Bob catching lightning in a bottle in 2000, and pissing away many other chances with terribly unprepared teams in other championships, beginning with the K-State thrashing in the 2003 Big 12 title game.

We used to laugh at the Longhorns for not knowing how out of the loop Mack Brown had become. We are now in the same position with Bob. He's lost what made him - an attacking defense that dictated to the offense. It is now the complete opposite - read and react defenses on their heels, corners eight to 10 yards off. It's putrid. Bob2000 is long gone.

We won that national title game 13-2, not 63-2. It's defense. It's always been defense. Bob has surrendered his offense to Leach robots on one side of the ball, and read and react on the other side. In short, he has become Texas Tech North. It's no wonder we only beat them half the time we play them now - we are them.

Awful.

BoulderSooner79
2/25/2015, 12:23 PM
TDTW, you never cease to crack me up.

Curly Bill
2/25/2015, 12:29 PM
TDTW is a little over the top for me, but I don't think he's terribly off course in at least some of what he's saying. The next coupla years are gonna be telling for Bob and the direction of OU football (largely whether Bob is gonna continue being a part of it).

BoulderSooner79
2/25/2015, 12:50 PM
TDTW is a little over the top for me, but I don't think he's terribly off course in at least some of what he's saying. The next coupla years are gonna be telling for Bob and the direction of OU football (largely whether Bob is gonna continue being a part of it).

Oh, I agree with many of TDTW's points. It's his gloom and doom writing style and stating predictions as fact that cracks me up. Reminds me of a Monty Python skit "The end of the Earth" which was actually a redo of an earlier British skit that included Dudley Moore.

"Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the earth?" (TDTW would say yes)

Curly Bill
2/25/2015, 12:55 PM
Oh, I agree with many of TDTW's points. It's his gloom and doom writing style and stating predictions as fact that cracks me up. Reminds me of a Monty Python skit "The end of the Earth" which was actually a redo of an earlier British skit that included Dudley Moore.

"Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the earth?" (TDTW would say yes)

Well....those winds blowing across the Oklahoma plains towards Norman are gaining strength! ;)

badger
2/25/2015, 01:00 PM
Horrifying that we've become Texas Tech clones, right down to former players and coaches
We're giving Baker a chance, unlike Tech, who wouldn't put him on scholarship and did everything they could to keep him from playing at OU as long as possible.

Also the SF.com "poll" was probably not all football-related :P

KantoSooner
2/25/2015, 01:23 PM
Okay, TDTW,
Here's my prescription. It'll take at least this much for what ails you.

Get some Elavil. Good, old school anti-depressant. Tried and true, cheap, covered on most med plans. Get the 30 mg dosage. Pop open a bottle of champagne, take 24 of the Elavil six times daily along with a coupla hard pulls at the champagne until the mood improves. Take a break for 3-4 stout bong hits of the best pot you can find. I recommend 'Salmon River Quiver'. Never fails. Do this 4 times daily. Then beat off. Furiously. As many times as you can muster while still conscious.

It's an extreme regime, but it's gonna take at least that to tackle your grumpiness.

Eielson
2/25/2015, 04:00 PM

Some of what he is saying is true, but over the top.

It's all over the top, though, and most of it's just crap. Especially when it comes to keeping up with the times. To me, going 9 straight seasons at Texas Tech without a losing conference record, and being top 25 five out of his final six year, is more impressive than coaching at school like OU/Texas/USC/tOSU and winning only one NC in 10 years. Winning NC's may be the bar at OU, but not at places like Tech. That program is awful. What Leach did there was nothing short of amazing, and he also played a major role in our most recent NC.

Also, we may have won 13-2 against FSU, but Oregon beat FSU 59-20, tOSU beat Alabama 42-35, and tOSU beat Oregon 42-20. Games are rarely won 13-2 in this day and age.

Curly Bill
2/25/2015, 05:49 PM
Some of what he is saying is true, but over the top.

It's all over the top, though, and most of it's just crap. Especially when it comes to keeping up with the times. To me, going 9 straight seasons at Texas Tech without a losing conference record, and being top 25 five out of his final six year, is more impressive than coaching at school like OU/Texas/USC/tOSU and winning only one NC in 10 years. Winning NC's may be the bar at OU, but not at places like Tech. That program is awful. What Leach did there was nothing short of amazing, and he also played a major role in our most recent NC.

Also, we may have won 13-2 against FSU, but Oregon beat FSU 59-20, tOSU beat Alabama 42-35, and tOSU beat Oregon 42-20. Games are rarely won 13-2 in this day and age.

On the Leach part of it, I love Leach. I'd trade Bob for him in a second. If nothing else he can't do worse than Bob has the past few years, and also quite unlike Bob he has a personality.

Eielson
2/25/2015, 08:08 PM
On the Leach part of it, I love Leach. I'd trade Bob for him in a second. If nothing else he can't do worse than Bob has the past few years, and also quite unlike Bob he has a personality.

If you love Leach, or anything that has to do with him, then you strongly disagree with about 70% of what TDTW has to say.