PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl ends in Super Blow It call

Jacie
2/1/2015, 10:37 PM
Post game interviews with Brady, Gronkowski, Eidelman, all players on New England's offense, none of whom acknowledged that the game was won while they were all standing on the sideline. Anyone who watched the game knows it was won (or lost in this case) by Seattle's OC who got too cute with that call on the 1-yard line . . . just run the damn ball! I didn't have a favorite though it was nice to see the smirk wiped off of Cheatie Petey's face, but to see the game handed to the Patriots makes me want this one to come with an *. Ineptness on the part of one team should not lead to a claim to greatness by the other.

okiewaker
2/1/2015, 10:43 PM
Meh,,,we got 2 months of TV and radio to hear the aftermath. Blacklist is on. Shhh.

Therealsouthsider
2/1/2015, 10:55 PM
....coordinators like to do that sort of thing.....they want to be the story

ss

bluedogok
2/1/2015, 10:59 PM
My dislike of Carroll is greater than that of the Patriots, so I wanted the Pats to win....since both teams couldn't lose.

Judge Smails
2/1/2015, 11:06 PM
When they ran that play I just knew Josh Heupel had called it.

BoulderSooner79
2/1/2015, 11:07 PM
I enjoyed that very much. I'm sure a perusal of any Seahawk message board will only enhance my enjoyment as Carroll will have turned from savior to goat in an instant. I especially like those snatching-defeat-from-the-jaws-of-victory stories when it happens to a team I am rooting against. It's better than a blowout.

8timechamps
2/1/2015, 11:14 PM
Worst call in Super Bowl history. You have one of the game's most physical running backs, 3 downs, and a time out in your arsenal and you try to get cute. The only satisfaction I would have gotten from this game would have been if somehow both teams lost, but I do have to admit I wanted David King to get a ring, so I was pulling for the Sewhawks (sort of). Anyway, I still can't believe that call was made.

BoulderSooner79
2/1/2015, 11:16 PM
Anyway, I still can't believe that call was made.

You're going to have to face reality, 8time. :welcoming:

8timechamps
2/1/2015, 11:30 PM
You're going to have to face reality, 8time. :welcoming:

No, I refuse to believe I saw what I saw. I'm in SHOCK*!

*but, I'll still sleep like a baby tonight.

Curly Bill
2/1/2015, 11:38 PM
NFL and the media can now take their deflategate phony scandal and stick it up their arse! :)

Soonerfan88
2/2/2015, 01:07 AM
David King was the only reason I finally decided to pull for Seattle. Don't like Petey or Belicheck/Brady and their cheating ways.

And I too wondered if that call was made by Josh Heupel.

hawaii 5-0
2/2/2015, 01:45 AM
Happy to see the Pat's win.

I woulda called for Lynch again.

However, the OC didn't throw the INT. Wilson did. He coulda thrown it a bit more toward the receiver's left, blocking out the INT attempt.

5-0

Eielson
2/2/2015, 01:48 AM
The only thing worse than a Seahawks/Patriots Super Bowl would be 49ers/Patriots. I was secretly hoping that the Seahawks would win by 80 so that all their players would get huge contracts, and the team would blow up.

Listening to Carroll act like he had a plan in the post-game interview, and say that he was "kinda wasting that play," so that the could run it in on 3rd or 4th down was kind of enjoyable to watch.

Also, the "you mad, bro" justice is hilarious. Brady>>>>>Sherman

cvsooner
2/2/2015, 02:34 AM
I was actually thinking Chuck Long and the 2004 Sugar Bowl.

SoonerStormchaser
2/2/2015, 03:18 AM
I was actually thinking Chuck Long and the 2004 Sugar Bowl.

WINNAR!

rock on sooner
2/2/2015, 07:59 AM
WINNAR!

Really bad memory...at least Wilson wasn't injured....saw a stat that
Lynch ran 5 times from the one during the season and only scored
once...wonder if that figured in the equation?

vtsooner21
2/2/2015, 08:00 AM
My dislike of Carroll is greater than that of the Patriots, so I wanted the Pats to win....since both teams couldn't lose.

Love this^
Boomer

swardboy
2/2/2015, 09:56 AM
As great as Lynch is, he got stuffed a lot earlier in this game, so I can kind of understand the pass attempt. If caught - a win. If dropped - clock stops, plenty of time for beast man.

It was VERY interesting to hear Butler talk about how this exact play was practiced against by New England. Belicheck told him he HAD to get there before the ball. That's great coaching.

BigTip
2/2/2015, 10:31 AM
Everybody in America is now saying they should have run it. This would include the NE defense too I presume. So why not do something different? I don't think it was a terrible call. Terrible result for Seattle of course, but if that pass had been caught...brilliant coaching!

I couldn't be happier that Carroll lost of course.

SoonerStormchaser
2/2/2015, 10:38 AM
I don't get the hatred thrown at the Pats...it's like Bill is the ONLY coach in the NFL who cheats? Seriously, the teams deflate balls all the time...there have been retired QB's coming out the past two weeks and freely admitting it. Why is this an issue?

That said...waking up this morning and seeing that Petey lost due to coaching ineptitude left a huge smile on my face. Couldn't have happened to a bigger POS college cheater...except Jim Tressel.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/2/2015, 11:22 AM
I had flashbacks to 2003.

Tear Down This Wall
2/2/2015, 12:07 PM
Is it too late to undo the Lincoln Riley hire and hire Darrell Bevell instead? He seems to fit nicely into the offensive coordinators who don't understand the run game category that Stoops loves.

Bevell seems to understand as little about Marshawn Lynch as our coaches do Samarje Perine. He'd fit in great. Plus, he's accustomed to coaching quarterbacks who can't throw worth a sh*t, but who are "athletic" and will run around sometimes. Stoops has a whole roster full of that for him already, so he wouldn't even have to recruit!

BoulderSooner79
2/2/2015, 12:41 PM
I don't get the hatred thrown at the Pats...it's like Bill is the ONLY coach in the NFL who cheats? Seriously, the teams deflate balls all the time...there have been retired QB's coming out the past two weeks and freely admitting it. Why is this an issue?

That said...waking up this morning and seeing that Petey lost due to coaching ineptitude left a huge smile on my face. Couldn't have happened to a bigger POS college cheater...except Jim Tressel.

Everyone hates teams that win a lot except for their own fans. You'll know OU is really in trouble when our team is not universally hated.

cvsooner
2/2/2015, 12:48 PM
Here's what I understand: three downs and one timeout and 21 seconds on the clock. If you run it into a defense that is eight big guys and three DBs and don't score, go for no gain or a loss, you run out of timeouts and you're forced, more or less to throw it on third down. You're actually in a better place to throw it on second down, knowing that of all possible outcomes, only one is a killer, and that was made by a DB who simply made a great play. Same thing could have happened if Lynch fumbles.

I really don't have a problem with the strategy. It didn't work out this time, but in a similar situation I might have done the same thing.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/2/2015, 01:16 PM
Here's what I understand: three downs and one timeout and 21 seconds on the clock. If you run it into a defense that is eight big guys and three DBs and don't score, go for no gain or a loss, you run out of timeouts and you're forced, more or less to throw it on third down. You're actually in a better place to throw it on second down, knowing that of all possible outcomes, only one is a killer, and that was made by a DB who simply made a great play. Same thing could have happened if Lynch fumbles.

I really don't have a problem with the strategy. It didn't work out this time, but in a similar situation I might have done the same thing.

The problem wasn't so much the strategy but the call. You have a 5'10 QB throwing in the middle in a situation where you could have given him a zone read with a run pass option on the edge. Dallas runs that play a lot with Romo and the key is getting the ball near the ground to prevent the pick or the ball bouncing into the air on a miss.

BoulderSooner79
2/2/2015, 01:31 PM
The problem wasn't so much the strategy but the call. You have a 5'10 QB throwing in the middle in a situation where you could have given him a zone read with a run pass option on the edge. Dallas runs that play a lot with Romo and the key is getting the ball near the ground to prevent the pick or the ball bouncing into the air on a miss.

That's what I was thinking. The Pats had problems containing Wilson on the edge all game and that would be especially true with the D stacked against a Lynch run. Wilson could safely throw to a wide open guy, walk it in himself or throw it away if the Pats have it covered.

Regardless of the play call, that was still a great play by the DB. If he is even 50 milliseconds late, that's a TD. And he had to catch the ball while making pretty hard contact with the receiver simultaneously. If he just defends the play, the 'hawks still have 2 plays and a TO to win the game. Pretty impressive for an undrafted rookie in the final seconds of the SB.

cvsooner
2/2/2015, 01:42 PM
I really have never understood, even with a QB who isn't the most mobile, while more run-pass options aren't called inside the three or two yard line. JKM is spot on here; the strategy is sound but throwing it into the middle, even with a QB like Wilson who has shown an ability to thrive in adversity, wasn't the smart move.

jkjsooner
2/2/2015, 02:05 PM
Funny considering so many thought our run calls against Florida were horrible.

BoulderSooner79
2/2/2015, 02:31 PM
Funny considering so many thought our run calls against Florida were horrible.

Different situation. We were not a power running team especially w/o DM, and Bradford was not a mobile QB. Our biggest weapons were Bradfords arm and the matchup problem created by Gresham.

Jacie
2/2/2015, 03:13 PM
What made the outcome go from funny to hysterical was the offsides on the next play when Brady did not have enough room to just take a knee but would have had to push forward to avoid the safety, then the free-for-all that resulted in a 15-yarder on the defense plus an ejection.

The real fallout begins with the finger pointing, since this one could have gone either way the Seahawks know it was a screw up that prevented them from hoisting the Lombardi Trophy. Someone is going to be working elsewhere as a result of this one.

rock on sooner
2/2/2015, 03:30 PM
What made the outcome go from funny to hysterical was the offsides on the next play when Brady did not have enough room to just take a knee but would have had to push forward to avoid the safety, then the free-for-all that resulted in a 15-yarder on the defense plus an ejection.

The real fallout begins with the finger pointing, since this one could have gone either way the Seahawks know it was a screw up that prevented them from hoisting the Lombardi Trophy. Someone is going to be working elsewhere as a result of this one.

My guess is Bennett, because of repeated neutral zone infractions all
season long and Irvin because of the 15 yarder. He!!, Jimmy Johnson
used to cut kickers for missing field goals. Now, as someone earlier
said, "Peter the Cheater" got his come uppance, imo.

Eielson
2/2/2015, 03:51 PM

I hate the Patriots because their Spygate cheating cost my Rams a Super Bowl. I'll try to restrain my ranting, but if you want to know what I'm talking about, I'm sure you can google what Marshall Faulk had to say about it. He still hasn't gotten over it, either.

The only other teams I hate are Seattle and San Fran. Those two are division rivals. I have no dislike of other teams that are consistently successful like the Ravens, Steelers, Packers, etc.

Well...Badj is probably lurking, so I'm just going to go ahead and say that the reason I don't hate the Packers is because the last time we played them in the playoffs we beat them by like a bajillion.

SoCalBigRed
2/2/2015, 04:52 PM
The blame is solely on Carroll. Head coach, he knew the playcall and let it fly. He's the one managing the game, especially at that point of the season.

And that's the one truly enjoyable thing about it.

Pete Carroll, will always be remembered for probably the single dumbest playcall in NFL Super Bowl history, and that makes me smile.

8timechamps
2/2/2015, 05:04 PM

People hate consistent winners (unless it's YOUR team that's winning). Look at the Yankees, the Lakers (of the past) and Alabama. It's just how the groupthink works.

KantoSooner
2/2/2015, 05:06 PM
While that may be so, it does not speak to the notion that Pete Carroll is a butt hole of the first order.

Which he is.

8timechamps
2/2/2015, 05:10 PM

Exactly. I would have been less surprised if they would have at least run a play action pass. If you go back to NE two previous pass attempts near the goal line (on their previous TD drives), they ran (what I consider) a great play call. The inside slant fake, with a move back toward the boundary. There isn't a player in the league that can defend that route one on one, for short yardage. Hell, I would have been okay if they tried a fade. Anything but throwing into a heavily crowded interior without even so much as a fake to Lynch.

Just a terrible call.

I still think the right call there is a run with Lynch. If he's stopped, you still have a timeout and can pass the next two downs. After the run Lynch had to set up that play, I'd take my chances that he's going to get it in (or even closer to the goal line). Just seems nuts to call that play in that situation.

8timechamps
2/2/2015, 05:10 PM
While that may be so, it does not speak to the notion that Pete Carroll is a butt hole of the first order.

Which he is.

Yes, he is. So, even though I wanted to see David King get a ring, it was nice watching Carroll lose.

winout
2/2/2015, 07:42 PM
For all you Caroll haters (from the latimes):

"If the Seahawks had won, Carroll would have been the only coach in history to win two Super Bowl and two college football Associated Press national championship. Instead, he will be forever known as the only guy to give two titles away."

The 2nd one being in the Rose Bowl against TU.

BoulderSooner79
2/2/2015, 08:05 PM
A couple of interesting stats from an ESPN segment.

Seattle ran Lynch 5 times from the 1 this season and he only scored on 1 of them.
There were 109 passing plays from 1 in the NFL this season and that play in the super bowl was the only one intercepted.

Again, I agree with jkm that it wasn't the fact they passed that made it questionable, but the play that was called. I'm sure most of those 108 other plays were not into the middle with all that traffic, but still shows that was one heck of a defensive play.

rock on sooner
2/2/2015, 08:14 PM
A couple of interesting stats from an ESPN segment.

Seattle ran Lynch 5 times from the 1 this season and he only scored on 1 of them.
There were 109 passing plays from 1 in the NFL this season and that play in the super bowl was the only one intercepted.

Again, I agree with jkm that it wasn't the fact they passed that made it questionable, but the play that was called. I'm sure most of those 108 other plays were not into the middle with all that traffic, but still shows that was one heck of a defensive play.

Just as an aside, see post #16 in this thread...

BetterSoonerThanLater
2/2/2015, 08:58 PM
On a different note, did anyone see the video or pictures of Jeremy Lane's arm injury? They didn't show it on the tv, and I can't seem to post the link, but his arm snapped 90 degrees the wrong way halfway between his wrist an elbow ...

I knew someone got hurt, but we were never told about it during the game. My wife mentioned it because she saw it on Facebook.

BetterSoonerThanLater
2/2/2015, 09:02 PM
http://www.totalprosports.com/2015/02/01/super-bowl-xlix-jeremy-lane-injury/

BoulderSooner79
2/2/2015, 09:12 PM
On a different note, did anyone see the video or pictures of Jeremy Lane's arm injury? They didn't show it on the tv, and I can't seem to post the link, but his arm snapped 90 degrees the wrong way halfway between his wrist an elbow ...

I knew someone got hurt, but we were never told about it during the game. My wife mentioned it because she saw it on Facebook.

It made the injury report look silly when team told the sideline reporter it was a wrist injury and his return was "doubtful". At the same time, he was shown riding a cart to the locker room with an air cast on his arm.

8timechamps
2/2/2015, 09:21 PM

My oldest son found a picture online and showed it to me about 30 minutes after it happened. I had no idea it was that bad, and I wasn't prepared to see it (while enjoying some Super Bowl snacks). Gruesome.

BoulderSooner79
2/2/2015, 10:12 PM
My oldest son found a picture online and showed it to me about 30 minutes after it happened. I had no idea it was that bad, and I wasn't prepared to see it (while enjoying some Super Bowl snacks). Gruesome.

That play definitely hurt the 'Hawks more than it helped them. If he doesn't intercept, it's 3 points for the Pats as it was 3rd on long and the pass had no chance for a TD. But with Lane out in the 1st qtr, Brady picked on his replacement the remainder of the game and passes his way to MVP. The football gods are cruel and twisted.

ObiKaTony
2/2/2015, 10:27 PM
Different situation. We were not a power running team especially w/o DM, and Bradford was not a mobile QB. Our biggest weapons were Bradfords arm and the matchup problem created by Gresham.

When did we throw to Gresham in the red zone?

BoulderSooner79
2/2/2015, 11:04 PM
When did we throw to Gresham in the red zone?

Not often enough, but especially in that game where he was the only guy they couldn't handle. The fact we ran 4 plays w/o any of them either targeting Gresham or using him as a decoy seemed an oversight to me.

8timechamps
2/2/2015, 11:45 PM
I'll just leave this here

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/10013024_949121478433773_7851441227704614421_n.jpg ?oh=0ed70b79364eee5f744fc2c23c79d8a5&oe=555748A5&__gda__=1432553752_c562d2aa6c529a1dfe27875c5e0bc69 f

nighttrain12
2/12/2015, 04:28 PM
For all you Caroll haters (from the latimes):

"If the Seahawks had won, Carroll would have been the only coach in history to win two Super Bowl and two college football Associated Press national championship. Instead, he will be forever known as the only guy to give two titles away."

The 2nd one being in the Rose Bowl against TU.

Plus the NCAA removed the Natl Champ title vs. OU because Carroll looked the other way while Reggie Bush's family got extra benefits.