PDA

View Full Version : ironic..climate scientist gets a dose of liberal policies

Soonerjeepman
1/16/2015, 10:14 AM
Don't know if the scientist is one of the climate change guys....(more of a liberal philosophy) but he and his wife let their kids, (10/6) walk home from the park during the day....about a mile away. They call this "free range parenting"...lol, kind of like free range chickens I guess. Police pick the kids up, the boy (10) told the police he is fine, they are allowed to do this it isn't illegal, his parents know.

Police take the kids home, later a rep from child protective services show up...tells the dad he has to sign an agreement stating he and his wife won't let the kids be unsupervised. He refused then the rep said sign or I take the kids right now and will call the police....

what at F*CKING joke.....another parental rights being taking away by the gov. (a liberal point of view - clinton is a huge proponent of this type of governing)

Before you comment watch the video. The parents were very involved with the children and worked up to this point.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/15/authorities-investigate-maryland-parents-who-let-kids-walk-home-alone/?intcmp=latestnews

rock on sooner
1/16/2015, 11:03 AM
I have mixed emotions about this issue. I think it is admirable that the parents want
to teach their kids self reliance and independence. I also think it is more dangerous
than the parents think to let 10/6 year olds walk to/from a park more than a mile from
their home. I'm pretty sure there are other examples to use to teach the self reliance
and independence to the kids. As to gubment interference, well, maybe, but it sounds
as though CPS and the police have the kids' safety in mind. I was raised in rural OK and
my parents thought nothing about my riding my fat tire Schwinn three or four miles to play
with friends or visit grandparents. I wouldn't dream of allowing my kids nowadays to do
that....

Turd_Ferguson
1/16/2015, 11:48 AM
I have mixed emotions about this issue. I think it is admirable that the parents want
to teach their kids self reliance and independence. I also think it is more dangerous
than the parents think to let 10/6 year olds walk to/from a park more than a mile from
their home. I'm pretty sure there are other examples to use to teach the self reliance
and independence to the kids. As to gubment interference, well, maybe, but it sounds
as though CPS and the police have the kids' safety in mind. I was raised in rural OK and
my parents thought nothing about my riding my fat tire Schwinn three or four miles to play
with friends or visit grandparents. I wouldn't dream of allowing my kids nowadays to do
that....

Yes, and you also think the government knows best...right?

olevetonahill
1/16/2015, 12:00 PM
Hell when i was 10 My folks never knew where i was thru the day, But I was always home at Supper time !

rock on sooner
1/16/2015, 12:18 PM
Yes, and you also think the government knows best...right?

Welp, TF, to what are you saying "yes" ? And, out of every ten things in which the gubment
meddles, most likely it knows best one and a half times, maybe two...some form of knowing
best, maybe two or three more, the rest it should not get involved.......

Soonerjeepman
1/16/2015, 12:58 PM
part of my point was here are parents, smart, decent parents, and the dept of child services pulls this crap...

I KNOW for a fact of MANY situations where the kids should be pulled NOW. Repeat offenders of a variety of offenses detrimental to their children but nothing...crap already have files 3 ft long but nothing is done.

clinton is a supporter of the gov taking over parental rights....she supports the un resolution. Not good.

Curly Bill
1/16/2015, 02:01 PM
The only entity that could be worse than today's parents at raising kids, is today's government raising kids.

...and maybe the Catholic Church!

TheHumanAlphabet
1/19/2015, 02:11 PM
that....
Since when should the government be involved in a parental decision? They are not abusing the children, lay off! It may or may not be unwise, but it is not for the government to step in.

SicEmBaylor
1/19/2015, 04:59 PM
I like the idea of 'free range' parenting far more than 'attachment parenting.' Free range parenting is pretty close to the way I was raised....almost no restrictions whatsoever.

rock on sooner
1/19/2015, 05:22 PM
Since when should the government be involved in a parental decision? They are not abusing the children, lay off! It may or may not be unwise, but it is not for the government to step in.

I respect your position. In my view, the example of the long walk home, unsupervised,
at such a young age, while not abuse, is an example of what many view as neglect and
I think the police were justified. On the other hand, CPS was out of line, especially with
the threat. There are so many examples of kids being snatched, stranger danger, repeated
reports of creeps in vans trying to entice young ones with "Help my find my puppy" or "I'll
give you a ride home." This past summer in and around Des Moines, at least a half dozen
attempts on youngsters..boys and girls..in the 10 to 13 year old range were reported. In
every case, the kids did the right thing and nothing happened to them. A couple of summers
back, in really small town Iowa, two little girls went for a ride on their bikes...their bodies
were found by deer hunters four or five months later. The scum still hasn't been caught.

Yup, I respect your position, just don't agree completely.....

FaninAma
1/19/2015, 05:44 PM
I'm with Vet. At 8 and 9 my brother and I were riding our bikes anywhere in a 5 mile radius around Lake Altus and Quartz Moutain State Park where lived until age 11 and 12. We had a great time.

rock on sooner
1/19/2015, 07:07 PM
I'm with Vet. At 8 and 9 my brother and I were riding our bikes anywhere in a 5 mile radius around Lake Altus and Quartz Moutain State Park where lived until age 11 and 12. We had a great time.

Well, he!!, yew looked at a pic of Vet? Ever bode wud be fraid ta bother him!
He showed me tha one with "I aint skeered"...a young pup with a cowboy hat
and nuthin' else starin' at a big a$$ bull..dint show but he prolly had a beard
then!!:devilish::highly_amused::biggrin:

rock on sooner
1/19/2015, 07:10 PM

THA, just one more thing, being involved in a parental decision just might be
when the parent(s) make an absolutely stupid decision....jus sayin'..