PDA

View Full Version : New DB coach?

Sooner in Tampa
1/14/2015, 10:29 AM
There is not a lot of solid information concerning the search for a new DB coach, but I read this on TheFootballBrainiacs site and was instantly intrigued by the possibility...

Terrell Buckley: In my estimation, this would be a great hire. Buckley isn’t a guy I know personally, but we have multiple mutual friends/acquaintances so I’ve heard a lot about him for some time now.

– High Profile/NFL Background: Buckley brings years of experience playing in the NFL, which is something kids love. He has a Super Bowl ring and won the Thorpe Award while at Florida State. I talked about Buckley with a friend of mine who played defensive back in college and currently runs the recruiting in parts of Florida, he told me:
“His (Buckley’s) name is big in the recruiting game. He is legendary here in Florida. All the people grew up watching him are the parents of the kids he is recruiting now.”
– Experience: Buckley doesn’t have a ton of experience in terms of his coaching resume. He was a GA at Florida State, coached a year at Akron, and then this past year he coached DBs at Louisville. But his secondary this past season was statistically excellent. I asked a friend of mine who coaches, and who also played with Buckley during his time at Florida State, if his (Buckley) lack of experience should be a concern, he said:
“At some point his lengthy pro career makes up for some of that coaching experience that you want…”
– Teacher: Another friend of mine coaches defensive backs here in Texas and has attended numerous camps around the country. He told me that, in his experience, Buckley was the best at teaching the kids. He said Buckley is the type of guy who will put the cleats on, get out there, and go through the drills with the kids just to show them exactly what he wants. He (my friend) raved about his experience with Buckley compared others he’s had with many high profile defensive back’s coaches.
I also spoke to a friend’s son who is currently a D-I recruit and has attended multiple camps at schools like LSU, TCU, Texas Tech, Louisville, etc. He said that for him, Buckley was near the top in terms of guys that could teach the position and could connect with him as a high school player getting ready to go into college.
– Recruiting: Buckley has great ties in Florida and Mississippi and, believe it or not, he actually has ties in Texas as well. But just knowing what “the fellas” who handle recruiting think of Buckley and how highly he is regarded, I believe he’d really help Oklahoma’s secondary recruiting. As my buddy who played at Florida State said, “I like him…he knows how to reach the fellas.”
– Reasonable: Buckley is a big name hire, but he’s also a practical hire. I’m sure OU would like to go after a guy like Corey Raymond (that dude can coach), the DBs coach at LSU, and perhaps they should. But the likelihood of getting someone like Raymond probably isn’t very high. However, Buckley is someone who would very much be interested in the OU opening and I can guarantee would get recruits excited.

SoonerMarkVA
1/14/2015, 10:35 AM
I'll be shocked if Stoops goes this far outside his circle. I frankly hope I'm wrong, and he'd be willing to consider going that far.

Scott D
1/14/2015, 02:36 PM
Buckley is the make a splash guy, the 'sensible' guy is Vines.

Eielson
1/14/2015, 03:40 PM
I think Viney would be an easy hire if the defense was in better shape. The fact that our secondary is FUBAR makes me think we need to bring in a big name guy that can tell Mike to STFU rather than promoting a grad assistant. Viney has already been with us two years, correct? Replacing BJW with a GA doesn't seem like it would do the trick for our defense. I don't know, though. Perhaps BJW was that terrible.

SoonerMarkVA
1/14/2015, 03:51 PM
I think Viney would be an easy hire if the defense was in better shape. The fact that our secondary is FUBAR makes me think we need to bring in a big name guy that can tell Mike to STFU rather than promoting a grad assistant. Viney has already been with us two years, correct? Replacing BJW with a GA doesn't seem like it would do the trick for our defense. I don't know, though. Perhaps BJW was that terrible.

Yeah, that's pretty much my take. I guess we can't know if Vines is going to be the next coaching guru or not, but so far Stoops' policy of "promote from my inner circle" has sucked. We need fresh blood to challenge what appears to be the group think going on within this staff. Monty certainly fit that bill, and he has worked out great so far.

cherokeebrewer
1/14/2015, 04:03 PM
Promote Courtney 'Chip' Viney, replace Tim Kish and hopefully Mike finds another job...That's my story...

ouduckhunter
1/14/2015, 04:15 PM
I'll be shocked if Stoops goes this far outside his circle. I frankly hope I'm wrong, and he'd be willing to consider going that far.

Lordy, if ever the time was right to go outside his circle, it's now. If he does it's either because he just started drinking, or because he just quit.

8timechamps
1/14/2015, 04:44 PM
Is Buckley coming up in conversations locally, or are they just throwing a name out there? I think he'd be a great addition, but I'm not sure how realistic it is.

rock on sooner
1/14/2015, 05:04 PM
Hmmm, lessee, a DB coach with NFL history and connections? Recruiting 101...
send the coach of the DB's to the homes of the desired high school stars to talk
up your program...couldn't hurt!

Sooner in Tampa
1/15/2015, 08:17 AM
Is Buckley coming up in conversations locally, or are they just throwing a name out there? I think he'd be a great addition, but I'm not sure how realistic it is.IF his name isn't coming up...it should! I mean really, it just makes too much sense NOT to at least explore it...I mean...a coach who puts on the cleats and SHOWS the players what he is talking about!! NO BRAINER

Breadburner
1/15/2015, 09:39 AM
I would sure check out Buckley up one side and down the other before I hired him.....

SicEmBaylor
1/15/2015, 10:08 AM
We just hired a new DB coach as well with a very similar background to Buckley. I really don't know how well I'm sold on NFL position coaches transitioning to college ball.

KantoSooner
1/15/2015, 10:11 AM
Why? is he suspected of criminal activity? Has he been involved in scandal? "Open and notorious conduct involving moral turpitude"? Does he owe you money? Did he not call your sister back the next day?
What manner of shadiness do you imply?

Sooner in Tampa
1/15/2015, 11:01 AM
We just hired a new DB coach as well with a very similar background to Buckley. I really don't know how well I'm sold on NFL position coaches transitioning to college ball.He is the DB coach at Louisville...WTF are you talking about?

this past year he coached DBs at Louisville. But his secondary this past season was statistically excellent.

lexsooner
1/15/2015, 11:43 AM
Why? is he suspected of criminal activity? Has he been involved in scandal? "Open and notorious conduct involving moral turpitude"? Does he owe you money? Did he not call your sister back the next day?
What manner of shadiness do you imply?

He just doesn't do enough with all of his charities? Maybe people would feel better if Buckley changed his first name to "Cody" or "Wyatt" or "Brady?"

Scott D
1/15/2015, 11:58 AM

Depends on how much of that same article that was linked in the OP you believe in relation to Vines. How much input does a GA get in terms of coaching the players. Would it be his problem that the schemes possibly weren't tailored to the talents of the players? Was the problem the "position coach" which let's be honest...wasn't really BJW, and it was very likely Michael Stoops. Was it because the secondary was pretty young for the most part? Was Julian Wilson really in the eyes of people here the second coming of Eric Bassey? If Vines is really as good at making the right connections with the right people when it comes to recruiting and the players on scholarship like him and credit him for development is he not worth taking a chance?

I don't have a preference to be honest, just as long as Mike Stoops isn't coaching secondary players or recruiting them I'm perfectly fine. The biggest edge Buckley can give is perhaps bringing in some of that Florida talent that had parents who watched him at Florida State.

8timechamps
1/15/2015, 06:08 PM
IF his name isn't coming up...it should! I mean really, it just makes too much sense NOT to at least explore it...I mean...a coach who puts on the cleats and SHOWS the players what he is talking about!! NO BRAINER

I agree completely. I would love to have him on the staff, I was just curious if it had leaked out that OU was in conversation with him. Since there's no apparent connection to OU, I wonder how realistic is would be for him to come to OU. Then again, as much as some fans may bitch, Stoops' name carries a lot of weight in coaching circles, so I would be surprised if there weren't some interest on his part.

Eielson
1/15/2015, 06:13 PM
Depends on how much of that same article that was linked in the OP you believe in relation to Vines. How much input does a GA get in terms of coaching the players. Would it be his problem that the schemes possibly weren't tailored to the talents of the players? Was the problem the "position coach" which let's be honest...wasn't really BJW, and it was very likely Michael Stoops. Was it because the secondary was pretty young for the most part? Was Julian Wilson really in the eyes of people here the second coming of Eric Bassey? If Vines is really as good at making the right connections with the right people when it comes to recruiting and the players on scholarship like him and credit him for development is he not worth taking a chance?

I don't have a preference to be honest, just as long as Mike Stoops isn't coaching secondary players or recruiting them I'm perfectly fine. The biggest edge Buckley can give is perhaps bringing in some of that Florida talent that had parents who watched him at Florida State.

I'm going to do something rather unusual for message boards, and admit I was wrong.

I'd felt like we were pretty average most years in pass defense, and just plain bad this year. I think I listened to message board fans too much, though. While we weren't unbelievably dominant, we were pretty darn good in the two previous years. If you look at the following statistics, you should notice something:

2014: 118th
2013: 30th
2012: 29th

I say this over and over, but the thing I hate most about message boards is that fans overreact with unbelievable predictability. With Mike, it's pretty obvious here. He's done a fine job overall in the secondary, but had one awful year. I knew that we had some issues in our secondary that made things look worse than they really were in the big picture, but I did't realize how good we've been.

Some of you may be looking at 30 and 29, and think that sounds painfully mediocre, but you need to take a few more things into account. The "#1 pass defense" was San Jose State. Do you really think they're the best? Many non-P5 schools undeservedly were ranked ahead of us. Also, even if they are in a P5 conference, it still may be misleading, because the Big XII can throw the ball around a lot better than most other conferences.

IMO, one of the best, although still not perfect, statistics is how you rank in your conference. OU ranked #1 and #2 in 2013 and 2014. That's pretty impressive.

With all that said, I switch my vote to Viney.

birddog
1/15/2015, 07:54 PM
Never heard of Vineyard til I read up on him. I think as far as a db coach he fits in well. He's not too far removed from his playing days at UCLA(finished at nmsu). He can prolly recruit really well because he's young and energetic. It's not a position that demands a ton of responsibility but going from a guy that coached for 42 years to Vineyard seems pretty damn appealing. I say bring it on.

Eielson
1/15/2015, 09:18 PM
Never heard of Vineyard til I read up on him. I think as far as a db coach he fits in well. He's not too far removed from his playing days at UCLA(finished at nmsu). He can prolly recruit really well because he's young and energetic. It's not a position that demands a ton of responsibility but going from a guy that coached for 42 years to Vineyard seems pretty damn appealing. I say bring it on.

From what I've heard, it sounds like Viney and Monty might as well have recruited our entire defensive recruiting class by themselves.

instigator
1/16/2015, 11:15 AM
I'm going to do something rather unusual for message boards, and admit I was wrong.

I'd felt like we were pretty average most years in pass defense, and just plain bad this year. I think I listened to message board fans too much, though. While we weren't unbelievably dominant, we were pretty darn good in the two previous years. If you look at the following statistics, you should notice something:

2014: 118th
2013: 30th
2012: 29th

I say this over and over, but the thing I hate most about message boards is that fans overreact with unbelievable predictability. With Mike, it's pretty obvious here. He's done a fine job overall in the secondary, but had one awful year. I knew that we had some issues in our secondary that made things look worse than they really were in the big picture, but I did't realize how good we've been.

Some of you may be looking at 30 and 29, and think that sounds painfully mediocre, but you need to take a few more things into account. The "#1 pass defense" was San Jose State. Do you really think they're the best? Many non-P5 schools undeservedly were ranked ahead of us. Also, even if they are in a P5 conference, it still may be misleading, because the Big XII can throw the ball around a lot better than most other conferences.

IMO, one of the best, although still not perfect, statistics is how you rank in your conference. OU ranked #1 and #2 in 2013 and 2014. That's pretty impressive.

With all that said, I switch my vote to Viney.

I looked at these numbers and I am fairly pleased with them. It leads me to think maybe it was just our inexperience int eh secondary but I had an idea in my head that if we were good against the pass, we were bad against the run. I keep thinking back to 2012 and it felt like everyone ran all over us. I pulled the numbers back to 2008 for fun and it looks like we've only have a good defense against the run and pass twice. I'll define good as in the top 30 range or better. I might tend to think top 50 against the pass in the B12 would be fine if you are great against the run, but it doesn't look like we are doing that either. Here is a chart for fun.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/linked/DefRankings.PNG?_subject_uid=600877&w=AACvOnZxeIJCXjz5cAey8ERxzErjF3m1-aTxETmBKzndhA

EatLeadCommie
1/16/2015, 01:19 PM
Our numbers were ok for 12 and 13, but the conference was not exactly stacked with passing juggernauts for those years. Outside of Baylor and Taco Tech (who has been down), who were the big passing teams? OSU? Not really. Not KU, KSU, Texas, nor ISU. TCU didn't go to a spread until this year. WVU used one of those years to put up a 300 yard rusher against us.