PDA

View Full Version : DGB to NFL

BermudaSooner
1/6/2015, 12:18 PM
As per Stoops presser. Said DGB told him a week ago.

UteSooner
1/6/2015, 12:24 PM
Well that was a waste. We got played.

BoulderSooner79
1/6/2015, 12:24 PM
Bob is a mean man. He could have saved us a week of wasted speculation. I never considered DGB to be part of the team, so not really a loss. His contribution to the scout team to improve our DB play is questionable at best.

I do thank him for staying out of trouble at OU.

BoulderSooner79
1/6/2015, 12:31 PM
I did read a post on LT a few weeks back from a guy that claimed to know DGB from HS and has stayed in touch with him. He said that DGB really did plan on playing for OU in '15 up until recently when he got high NFL draft grade. Then (a few weeks ago) he was re-evaluating his choice.

Assuming that guy was for real, I took that to mean DGB would be gone since he was waffling and the NFL pull would only get stronger.

yankee
1/6/2015, 12:32 PM
Well that was a waste. We got played.

I don't think we got played at all. DGB wanted to come here in 2014 and play in 2014 and then go to the NFL. The length of discussions and appeals with the NCAA are testament to that. It's unfortunate that it didn't work out, but he didn't play us or use us.

swardboy
1/6/2015, 12:33 PM
I'm sure TK's regression this year didn't help.

birddog
1/6/2015, 12:34 PM
I still can't get past doosh bag gary. I hafta remind myself it's doosh gary bag!

UteSooner
1/6/2015, 12:45 PM
I don't think we got played at all.

I don't know his thoughts or intentions. All I know is that OU took a considerable risk and spent resources on him and isn't getting anything in return. Stoops goes out of his way but DGB doesn't go out of his. I don't fault a kid for going to the NFL early, but in this circumstance it rubs me wrong.

Eielson
1/6/2015, 12:53 PM
I think he stopped throwing women down stairs, but I know he didn't stop smoking weed and things like that.

soonercastor
1/6/2015, 12:57 PM
The guy is projected in the first round by some early mock drafts. Why the heck should be stay

vtsooner21
1/6/2015, 01:02 PM
I don't see having DGB on campus this season as such a bad thing. He stayed out of trouble, made classes, practiced with the prep team. Going up against him had to make some of that defense better. (Although we might not think so...) Second chances sometimes work out. They did for DGB. Hope they will for Frank Shannon & Joe Mixon.
Boomer

Piware
1/6/2015, 02:12 PM
I don't care. There has been something about this guy that screamed "prima donna" from Day One. Hope the NFL loves him and if not, so what?

REDREX
1/6/2015, 04:03 PM
I don't know his thoughts or intentions. All I know is that OU took a considerable risk and spent resources on him and isn't getting anything in return. Stoops goes out of his way but DGB doesn't go out of his. I don't fault a kid for going to the NFL early, but in this circumstance it rubs me wrong.---Correct---We wasted a lot of political capital on the kid---should never have taken him

aero
1/6/2015, 04:29 PM
Good riddance. I thought it was a bad move to get him after Mizzou let him go. He made his choices. Now that I think about it, now last season makes more sense. Bad karma. Anyway, best of luck to him.

KantoSooner
1/6/2015, 04:32 PM
---Correct---We wasted a lot of political capital on the kid---should never have taken him

We didn't spend jack on him outside of a schollie. The 'moral outrage' of a few twits is about the same as having to endure the bad breath of a fellow elevator rider between floors 5 and 9.

badger
1/6/2015, 04:37 PM
So long and thanks for no fish, because the fish were ineligible ;)

REDREX
1/6/2015, 04:47 PM
We didn't spend jack on him outside of a schollie. The 'moral outrage' of a few twits is about the same as having to endure the bad breath of a fellow elevator rider between floors 5 and 9.---Please explain to me how we can take DGB but not let Frank Shannon play?------- Seminole Fats did not want any more bad pub

BoulderSooner79
1/6/2015, 04:51 PM
Let's not underestimate the value of having DGB on the scout team last year. Our DBs were very well practiced on how to get beat come Saturday.

vtsooner21
1/6/2015, 05:13 PM
Please pardon me for hearing Coach Stoops speak at the presser today to make the statement that DGB was a positive to the team this year. But I'm certain the naysayers here know more about a kid's value than his coach. Much discussion was made regarding what a big mistake it was that the Sooners "took that risk" to have DGB on campus. Here's hope that through a second chance, DGB, Frank Shannon, Joe Mixon, or whoever may benefit in the future.That just may go beyond the football field.

Boomer

KantoSooner
1/6/2015, 05:15 PM
Go check out a federal law called 'Title IX'. 'Seminole Fats' had no choice on Shannon for reasons utterly unconnected to DGB. Had DGB never been born, the Shannon decision would have been the same. It was not a 'judgment call' on Boren's part. It was a bad, stupid, poorly written, idiotically structured piece of mealy mouthed, politically correct regulatory BS....that has serious dollar and cents implications that, pushed to the extreme, would have fully justified Boren terminating the entire football program.

BoulderSooner79
1/6/2015, 05:19 PM
---Please explain to me how we can take DGB but not let Frank Shannon play?------- Seminole Fats did not want any more bad pub

Because they were different "we"s ? DGB had nothing to do with the title IX process at OU. As far as FSU is concerned - Winston was not found to have violated the student code of conduct (insufficient evidence) at FSU while Shannon was at OU. The process itself seems bogus, but that the way it goes - time to get over it.

REDREX
1/6/2015, 05:20 PM
Will Boren let Shannon play next year---he paid his price-----I have heard Boren will not let him back on the team , is that fair?

BoulderSooner79
1/6/2015, 05:25 PM
Will Boren let Shannon play next year---he paid his price-----I have heard Boren will not let him back on the team , is that fair?

If true, that doesn't seem fair. I have not read that anywhere and it wouldn't make sense for Bob to say he expects Shannon back if Boren has taken such a position.

REDREX
1/6/2015, 05:29 PM
If true, that doesn't seem fair. I have not read that anywhere and it wouldn't make sense for Bob to say he expects Shannon back if Boren has taken such a position.---I don't know if he even wants to comeback----But I have heard that Boren will say no

KantoSooner
1/6/2015, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE=BoulderSooner79;4922047 it wouldn't make sense for Bob to say he expects Shannon back if Boren has taken such a position.[/QUOTE]

Nor is it clear to me that Boren would have the authority to bar him considering he's complied with the punishment laid out.

BoulderSooner79
1/6/2015, 05:37 PM
---I don't know if he even wants to comeback----But I have heard that Boren will say no

All I know is that Bob has said several times, including today, that he expects Shannon back next season. Shannon hasn't enrolled in another school and is unlikely to get any NFL attention. If he intends to continue his football career, OU is by far his best option (Boren willing). Maybe someone has more inside info?

REDREX
1/6/2015, 05:39 PM
Nor is it clear to me that Boren would have the authority to bar him considering he's complied with the punishment laid out.---Boren can keep anyone from playing if he wants to----I hope he lets him play

KantoSooner
1/6/2015, 05:57 PM
Not sure you're right on that. If Boren has a procedure set up and then changes the rules on Shannon after he's complied, the price of caprice might be too high.

REDREX
1/6/2015, 06:08 PM
Boren makes the rules---He cares nothing about the game of football , he just knows the more they win the bigger the donations----Look at 1985---the oil business is awful ---Sooners win the NC----donations at record levels

BoulderSooner79
1/6/2015, 06:13 PM
Not sure you're right on that. If Boren has a procedure set up and then changes the rules on Shannon after he's complied, the price of caprice might be too high.

Yeah, this one seemed too far fetched for me to believe - maybe something made up by the Boren haters out there. Now there *could* be something in that sealed title IX transcript that would explain why Boren would see Shannon as undesirable. But if that were the case, I would think Shannon would have been expelled and not suspended.

soonergirlNeugene
1/6/2015, 11:30 PM
I do kinda wonder about the value of giving DGB a scholarship when we may have had guys who actually contributed left on the outside looking in. Best of luck to him in the NFL however.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/7/2015, 04:14 PM
DGB was a gamble taken for this last season and nothing more..try to get him in, didn't work, good luck...we tried.

BoulderSooner79
1/7/2015, 04:40 PM
DGB was a gamble taken for this last season and nothing more..try to get him in, didn't work, good luck...we tried.

Xactly - risk and cost were low (wasted scholly) and the potential gain was high (immediate impact player). We end up wasting schollies all the time on players that don't develop from the HS level. The greater risk was the more vague reputation hit and possibility he got into more trouble - he didn't. But he could also have been a positive PR story had he become a star player here and credited Stoops and OU for turning his life around. That didn't happen either. Very soon, no one outside of OU and Mizzou will even remember he was here.

KantoSooner
1/7/2015, 04:44 PM

ding ding ding. Winnah.

yankee
1/7/2015, 05:01 PM
I just hope that if DGB goes on to be a good WR in the NFL, that he gets his picture on the wall of all the other Sooner successes in the NFL in the Switzer Center. :chuncky:

REDREX
1/7/2015, 05:15 PM
Word is he may be having second thoughts----Talking about his "problem" at Mizzou with the NFL people