PDA

View Full Version : Josh Heupel fired per Thayer Evans

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2015, 07:35 AM
@ThayerEvansSI: Oklahoma offensive coordinator Josh Heupel has been let go per source. http://t.co/eOJ2BVFken

Guessing the presser is to announce this and maybe the hire of the new OC?

PhiDeltBeers
1/6/2015, 07:50 AM
I just heard this as well....wondering where M. Stoops falls in all this.

Sooner in Tampa
1/6/2015, 07:52 AM
BIG Changes are coming indeed!!

Josh McCuistion ‏@JLMcCuistion 10m10 minutes ago
#Sooners RT @ThayerEvansSI: Oklahoma offensive coordinator Josh Heupel has been let go per source

okiewaker
1/6/2015, 08:10 AM
Wow! Just heard this. Wonder who's next.

UteSooner
1/6/2015, 08:16 AM
What time was that press conference?

And any rumors on defensive changes?

okiewaker
1/6/2015, 08:17 AM
Does it seem a little weird this news coming from SI? Idk

tooslow
1/6/2015, 08:35 AM
Since OU's offense was in the top 20 3 out of the past 4 seasons and the D was well outside the top 20 during the same time period, shouldn't this be obvious to Bob as to who needs to be let go next? ;)

tulsaoilerfan
1/6/2015, 08:39 AM
Presser is at 11 AM Central Time

Jack T.
1/6/2015, 08:52 AM
Somebody remind me the last time a major program replaced both OC and DC the same season (assuming Mike goes on. . .).

ETA: without a head coach replacement at the same time.

SoonerinSECland
1/6/2015, 09:01 AM
Here's the link from The Daily Oklahoman: http://newsok.com/report-oklahoma-co-offensive-coordinator-josh-heupel-fired/article/5382175

**Note - guess I should have read it better. It just reports on SI.com's report. No new, breaking confirmation from anyone there. Just a regurgitation of an SI report.

UteSooner
1/6/2015, 09:15 AM
Does it seem a little weird this news coming from SI? Idk

Well, they were right about that OSU program being dirty...

badger
1/6/2015, 09:36 AM
Remember when we all were saying (not necessarily here, but everyone on the Internets) that Josh Heupel was safe forever because his sister was married to David Boren's son Dan?

I'm sure there were other reasons to think Heupel was safe forever, such as being the last QB to lead us to a national championship, being here a long time and Stoops being loyal to his friends and those loyal to him and all...

Eielson
1/6/2015, 09:38 AM
I'm betting Thayer made this up, and is hoping that's what the press conference is. I wouldn't take much stock in this report. I doubt he knows any more than we do.

okiewaker
1/6/2015, 09:41 AM
Nah,,, it's true. Just read his tweet.
Josh's tweet that is.

colleyvillesooner
1/6/2015, 09:47 AM
From Josh's Twitter:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6rFfTjIQAIPWWt.jpg

FaninAma
1/6/2015, 09:47 AM
I wonder if all of these changes would have happened if OU had pulled out the win over OSU. I also wonder if the new stadium expansion has lit a fire under the Board of Regents. 8-5 seasons aren't going to cut it as far as selling additional season tickets or bringing in donor contributions.

I tried to tell Josh he needed to incorporate more misdirection and counters in his offense. :D

KantoSooner
1/6/2015, 09:56 AM
It's an interesting thing. You're almost always given forgiveness if you are driving at something, with clarity, and just fall short. What people find impossible to forgive is an unfocused effort. I truly believe that had Josh gone fully 'in' on the ZR, or tried to force Trevor into being a drop-back, game manager say out of the power I or something of that ilk, that he'd still be with us. It was the failure to make a clear move that doomed him.

...And that should doom Mike, as well.

"Fortune Favors The Bold"

FaninAma
1/6/2015, 10:20 AM
It's an interesting thing. You're almost always given forgiveness if you are driving at something, with clarity, and just fall short. What people find impossible to forgive is an unfocused effort. I truly believe that had Josh gone fully 'in' on the ZR, or tried to force Trevor into being a drop-back, game manager say out of the power I or something of that ilk, that he'd still be with us. It was the failure to make a clear move that doomed him.

...And that should doom Mike, as well.

"Fortune Favors The Bold"

Very well stated. I think Mike's 2nd round as DC at OU has been completely different than his first. This year's Baylor game is a perfect example of his uncertainty in preparing the team for conference opponents. It seems that our conference foes have adjusted to OU's coaches schemes and game planning a lot better than the converse.

rock on sooner
1/6/2015, 10:38 AM
Fearless prediction....Josh will land somewhere, at least as a QB
coach. I wonder if Bob thought about keeping him as a QB coach.
Josh is dayum good at coaching/teaching QB's, imo....

TheHumanAlphabet
1/6/2015, 10:40 AM
I blame Boren for all of this. This team is a reflection of Bob and Bob is a reflection of his employer, Boren. Boren has got to go. He has been nothing but a FU since his drive to be the Harvard of the Plains. While laudable that he wants all of the National Merit Finalists he can get hos hands on, OU is and should be for state and plain's residents to get a high quality education, not to attract every little 2400 SAT scorer (or whatever it is now) in the country. His drive to progressive eliteism brought to OU the band director debacle, regent weizenheimer's meddling into the hiring practices of the university, the failed art gallery director and the Nazi painting debacle. I have no doubt he has shackled Bob and Joe so that we don'twinntoo much, but just enough to seem to bean elite program.

While I am sick of Bob and his poor coaching choices the last few years, Bob 1999-2001 >>>>> Bob 2012-2014, I blame Boren for all the problems at OU now, including the football team. It is time for Boren to go, IMO.

Eielson
1/6/2015, 10:53 AM
Fearless prediction....Josh will land somewhere, at least as a QB
coach. I wonder if Bob thought about keeping him as a QB coach.
Josh is dayum good at coaching/teaching QB's, imo....

If Heupel is so good at developing QBs, why are our QB's so bad?

KantoSooner
1/6/2015, 11:04 AM
THA, The role of the landgrant University is utterly different from that of a Harvard...and OU is fulfilling that admirably. In fact, Oklahoma's higher ed system is something of a role model: the 'Techs' and community colleges; the regional 2 and 4 year schools that either feed the two major Universities or offer stand alone degrees and then the grad and professional schools. Boren's tweaking around the edges and trying to improve the overall academic profile of the University is precisely what he was supposed to do. Furthermore, the gathering of money is also precisely what he is supposed to do. You think Harvard, Stanford et al don't have ongoing scandals in their art collections? Their investment portfolio's? The influence of major donors? Of course they do. It's par for the course. Being a university president is, on a frequent and recurring basis a dirty job. Boren's done better than most.
The football team can not exist in isolation and the players must be expected to perform at least at a basic hurdle rate and to behave as human beings. It is simply not true that we must allow violent felon idiots onto our team in order to compete. They're kids and mistakes will be made and I'm on record as being in favor of second and third chances. But academic standards are NOT at the root of our football program's recent lack of championships.

yankee
1/6/2015, 11:12 AM
I blame Boren for all of this. This team is a reflection of Bob and Bob is a reflection of his employer, Boren. Boren has got to go. He has been nothing but a FU since his drive to be the Harvard of the Plains. While laudable that he wants all of the National Merit Finalists he can get hos hands on, OU is and should be for state and plain's residents to get a high quality education, not to attract every little 2400 SAT scorer (or whatever it is now) in the country. His drive to progressive eliteism brought to OU the band director debacle, regent weizenheimer's meddling into the hiring practices of the university, the failed art gallery director and the Nazi painting debacle. I have no doubt he has shackled Bob and Joe so that we don'twinntoo much, but just enough to seem to bean elite program.

While I am sick of Bob and his poor coaching choices the last few years, Bob 1999-2001 >>>>> Bob 2012-2014, I blame Boren for all the problems at OU now, including the football team. It is time for Boren to go, IMO.

What an asinine accusation to make.

SoonerMarkVA
1/6/2015, 11:12 AM
THA, The role of the landgrant University is utterly different from that of a Harvard...and OU is fulfilling that admirably. In fact, Oklahoma's higher ed system is something of a role model: the 'Techs' and community colleges; the regional 2 and 4 year schools that either feed the two major Universities or offer stand alone degrees and then the grad and professional schools. Boren's tweaking around the edges and trying to improve the overall academic profile of the University is precisely what he was supposed to do. Furthermore, the gathering of money is also precisely what he is supposed to do. You think Harvard, Stanford et al don't have ongoing scandals in their art collections? Their investment portfolio's? The influence of major donors? Of course they do. It's par for the course. Being a university president is, on a frequent and recurring basis a dirty job. Boren's done better than most.
The football team can not exist in isolation and the players must be expected to perform at least at a basic hurdle rate and to behave as human beings. It is simply not true that we must allow violent felon idiots onto our team in order to compete. They're kids and mistakes will be made and I'm on record as being in favor of second and third chances. But academic standards are NOT at the root of our football program's recent lack of championships.

+{a bunch}

TheHumanAlphabet
1/6/2015, 11:22 AM
Kanto, I fully know what a Land grant institution is about. Let's just say that I do not happen to agree on everything Boren is doing. While he is no Banowski, I don't think he has made wise choices lately.

KantoSooner
1/6/2015, 11:26 AM
THA, you're entitled to your opinion and I would suspect you have less time to wait on Boren's replacement than his fans might wish. I hope we do as well with his replacement.

ouduckhunter
1/6/2015, 11:33 AM

Interesting thoughts! Boren has served in the highest levels of government, and academia both of which put him in a very elite, unique group of people in the country. I think that when these groups get together at conferences, etc., a lot of them may look down on football, and football players in general. Football players are mean, stupid, give each other concussions, hurt women, yada yada yada!

More power to Boren for setting high goals for academic standards at OU, but a great football program is important to us too!

Sooner91ATL
1/6/2015, 11:40 AM
Boren has done so much for the University that it is almost unimaginable. I walked onto a tired and stale campus, defunct of funds and spirit, in 1987 to start my undergrad studies. The campus was a joke compared to most that I had visited, including some directional schools.

I was just back on campus last summer for a tour with my son, to show him the Switzer Center, etc. The campus is magnificent. Money is apparent. A research park is underway and gaining international attention.

As an administrator, Boren cares about 1) funding, 2) staying out of the headlines. Bob has been exceptional for both causes. If either one starts to flag, that is when Boren will get tough with Bob. Boren is a smart politician and will not hesitate to make the moves he feels is right for the University. It is his legacy. I have never met the man, but I cannot imagine some academic stiff from some eastern city as president of OU who would care as much as he does.

graphster
1/6/2015, 11:52 AM
Boren isn't the reason our DBs can't cover anybody and our pass offense is terrible. He's not perfect, but to blame him for this season or the overall state of the football program is pretty ridiculous.

We're paying our HC over $5 million a year and have made SUBSTANTIAL investments in stadium upgrades and other athletic facilities. Our assistant coaches are some of the highest paid assistants in the country. Not sure what else you want from central campus administration, in terms of commitment to the program.

FaninAma
1/6/2015, 11:55 AM
Boren has done a pretty good job but I do not agree that he is fully on board with the concept of OU as a Land Grant University. I think he has set the tone in which OU is chasing test score ranking and in doing so they have cut off the access of many in-state residents to post-graduate degrees in highly competitive fields. I personally know of several in-state residents who graduated at OU but were denied acceptance to OU's medical school based on 1 or 2 points on the MCAT that subsequently were accepted into out-of-state medical schools based on superior GPA's and outstanding resumes. (KU, Missouri, and UT Southwestern were the accepting schools.) All of these are great schools but the out-of-state tuition to attend medical school is a killer.

I think Boren's tunnel vision focus on climbing the standardized test rankings is a little short-sighted. While I understand his goal of separating OU academics from little brother's in Stillwater/Tulsa I don't agree with it. And in his defense it is a trend occuring in a lot of other public university medical schools although most of the Texas medical schools accept a lower rate of out-of-state applicants than OU does.

BoulderSooner79
1/6/2015, 11:57 AM

Boren hates the zone read. QED

SoonerMarkVA
1/6/2015, 11:58 AM
Aside from the obvious benefits Boren has brought to the University and its prestige, there may not be a school president in the US who is as fanatic about the football team. I remember the man flying in to home games in a helicopter when he was governor. To question his personal appreciation of and commitment to the football team in particular is ludicrous.

KantoSooner
1/6/2015, 12:01 PM
Interesting thoughts! Boren has served in the highest levels of government, and academia both of which put him in a very elite, unique group of people in the country. I think that when these groups get together at conferences, etc., a lot of them may look down on football, and football players in general. Football players are mean, stupid, give each other concussions, hurt women, yada yada yada!

More power to Boren for setting high goals for academic standards at OU, but a great football program is important to us too!

It's a bit more nuanced than that. At the nation's truly elite schools virtually the entire student body is involved in sports at some level...partially because it's virtually impossible to get admitted unless you're 'rounded'. Those who gravitate to the more violent sports tend to end up in business, the military and government, not so much academia (except for those who go on to teach at prep schools). I'm thinking of people like one classmate (female) who played field hockey, went on to med school and then into astronaut training by way of naval flight school. Not a shrinking violet. So, you've got a goodly level of support for sports and even for sports where a person might hurt and get hurt.
What 'they' tend to be biased against is sport that usurps the educational mission. And thus there is considerable heartburn when the raw power of a football program, for example, exceeds that of the University administration. And, frankly, who could argue that that is not precisely what has happened at FSU, for example?
OU is in an excellent place to move forward to ultimate success on the field....and to do so in a way that brings honor on the institution. It won't be easy, but holding to standards and taking the hard steps to improve performance at the same time will yield, perhaps, supporters from unanticipated corners.

BoulderSooner79
1/6/2015, 12:21 PM
"We always want a QB that can throw the football at OU. If they can also run, then that's a bonus." -Bob Stoops 2015

Music to my ears. Our trouble throwing the ball the last 2 years has been my biggest frustration.

EDIT: On offense, that is.

bluedogok
1/6/2015, 10:16 PM
I doubt that Boren wants OU to become the "Harvard of the Plains" with him being a Yale guy and all.....a "Yale of the Plains" is more likely. Also consider Boomer Sooner is based off a Yale drinking song.

aurorasooner
1/7/2015, 02:21 AM
I've been reading the boards for the last couple of hours, and my impression is this is the end of the "Gravy Train".

I actually thought Heupel was being micromanaged from the top, but I guess not. In any event, he either took one for Bob, didn't want to accept a demotion to the QB position coach, or these pathetic offensive formations/game plans as well as the ridiculous getting the play calls in at the last possible second, were all his doing or him and Norvell together. I had hoped he would stay on as the QB coach but it's probably better that he move on and find out what it's like outside of the friends and family plan 40 hour work week.

After reading about the presser on the other boards, I think the days of Bob watching his investments all day or playing decorator and taking vacations during football season while his brother actually coaches the team are gone.

It'll be interesting to see if Mike (and Kish) move on after NSD or if he/they stay, and if they move on, will Bob be happy to get back to business of fielding a quality, organized, and competitive FB team or will he be disgruntled and not GAS.
There were only a few coaches better in the college ranks, imo, in putting together a quality game-plan, especially on the defensive side of the ball, when he actually paid attention to the details of coaching. I just can't believe that after watching our "chinese-fire-drill"/John Blake type coached games this year, he wasn't pizzed as hell about what he was seeing from his assistants. Sort of a head-scatcher to me that he didn't lay down the law to his assistants after the Cotton bowl, lucky win. I don't know, maybe he did, and they just couldn't get it together.
I guess we'll find out if he's all-in next season. If he's not, it'll be costly for us, not only with the stadium expansion project but with probably his contract buyout which I understand runs thru 2020.

rock on sooner
1/7/2015, 10:32 AM
If Heupel is so good at developing QBs, why are our QB's so bad?

Because he was in the booth, not on the field. I think his best
work was getting in the QB's ear when he came off the field,
whether it was Sam, LJ or whomever. The OC job, my best
guess here, is really time consuming and didn't lend itself to
a lot of other things...

SoonerMarkVA
1/7/2015, 11:31 AM
Because he was in the booth, not on the field. I think his best
work was getting in the QB's ear when he came off the field,
whether it was Sam, LJ or whomever. The OC job, my best
guess here, is really time consuming and didn't lend itself to
a lot of other things...

Nailed it.

Look at our QB output during the years Heupel was on the sideline: 2003-2004 and 2006-2010. The differences between those years, and the rest when he was not on the sideline (or playing himself) are stark. And think about the improvement Jones made through 2009-2010, only to stagnate at best, regress at worst, over 2011-2012.

ouduckhunter
1/7/2015, 11:46 AM
I had hoped he would stay on as the QB coach but it's probably better that he move on and find out what it's like outside of the friends and family plan 40 hour work week.

I think that is a key point right there. Josh is, and always will be a Sooner legend, but sometimes you have to move completely away from the family in order to grow up, become your own person, and learn about life outside the bubble. He's had limited experience away from OU football so hopefully in his next position, he gains a lot of experience, and skills that will make him a better all around coach.

Aries
1/7/2015, 04:13 PM
The Rams just announced that Brian Schottenheimer accepted a job with Georgia, can I officially start the rumor that they are after Heupel? :)