PDA

View Full Version : Mike to LSU?

Wishboned
1/3/2015, 05:13 PM
Mike and Miles, meeting in the D...

http://www.news9.com/story/27753592/breaking-ous-mike-stoops-to-interview-with-les-miles-lsu

Norman - I've learned OU Defensive Coordinator Mike Stoops is scheduled to interview for the same position at LSU with head coach Les Miles. Sources tell me it's expected Stoops will be offered the job when the two meet in Dallas tonight at 6 p.m. If offered, Stoops would take a couple of days to make the decision whether to leave brother Bob's staff, where he has served the last three seasons as associate head coach and defensive coordinator.

Miles is looking to replace John Chavis who left LSU for SEC-West foe Texas A&M, where coach Kevin Sumlin fired struggling DC Mark Snyder.

In Norman, multiple coaching changes are expected soon after a disappointing 8-5 season in which OU was a strong favorite to make the first College Football Playoff. But it is widely believed that head coach Bob Stoops has no intentions on firing or demoting brother Mike.

Mike Stoops returns most of his Sooner defense; one that underachieved and was over-hyped following OU's offensive explosion that stunned Alabama in last year's Sugar Bowl upset win.

Mike Stoops is credited with revamping the Sooner defensive scheme in 2013, resulting in immediate dividends that saw them lead the Big 12 in total defense for the first time since 2006. The 2013 pass defense led the league, but became a major problem in 2014 when the Sooners stumbled across the board.

Oklahoma is coming off a disappointing 8-5 season, capped by a 40-6 rout in the Russell Athletic Bowl by a Clemson offense playing without its injured starting quarterback.

Make no mistake, Mike Stoops has a stout defensive pedigree, dating back to assisting brother Bob Stoops at Kansas State and his first stint at Oklahoma (1999-2003) when the Sooners won the 2000 national title and dominated the Big 12. The fiery demeanor that made Stoops popular with fans when his defenses dominated has lost some of its shine during the lean times.

But no doubt, football people believe Mike Stoops can coach defense. Les Miles obviously agrees, meeting tonight with a coach with whom he had heated Bedlam battles when Miles was head coach at OSU and the two competed in 2001-2003.

Mike Stoops interviewed for the defensive coordinator opening with Urban Meyer when Meyer became Ohio State Head Coach before the 2012 season. Although hard to confirm, I was told Stoops was offered the Buckeye job, and that he expects to be offered the LSU job by Miles.

LSU had offered former DC John Chavis $1.3 million per year to stay. But Aggie coach Kevin Sumlin bumped Chavis to the range he wanted: the $1.7 mill range that Auburn gave new DC Will Mushchamp. Stoops would apparently make around $1-$1.1 million per, which would be an upgrade from this current he $856,400/year. But I'm told money would not be the driving force for Stoops to leave Oklahoma.

The well-respected Chavis left Tennessee after the 2008 season to replace LSU DC Bo Pelini in Baton Rouge. Pelini became head coach at Nebraska until his recent dismissal.

Coincidentally, Pelini is lifetime friends of Youngstown, OH natives Bob and Mike Stoops and replaced Stoops as OU's co-defensive coordinator for the 2004 national championship game season when Stoops left to become head coach at Arizona from 2004-2011.

LSU finished 8-5 losing to 10-point underdog Notre Dame in the Music City Bowl with a subpar defensive performance. But the Tigers are athletically superior with top recruiting classes every year. Consistent with how LSU's defense has played since Chavis arrived in 2009, the 2014 defense ranked first in the SEC and eighth nationally.

Some reports had Clancy Pendergast the favorite to replace Chavis. The 47-year-old Pendegrast was not retained as DC by USC head coach Steve Sarkisian when he was named coach after the 2013 season. Pendegrast has coordinated defenses for five NFL franchises and was Dallas' secondary coach in all three years Les Miles was with the Cowboys (1998-2000) as tight ends coach. Pendegrast also has OU ties, having assisted Gary Gibbs in his latter years of coordinating Barry Swtizer's defenses in the eighties. However, I'm led to believe Miles has targeted Mike Stoops and former Baylor Head Coach Kevin Steele.

So in a January 3 twist, as most Sooner fans await word on coaches who are expected to be asked to leave the staff, one coach with a familiar last name expects the opportunity to choose to leave. And for a big-time program with big-time talent.

Definitely a big-time meeting in “Big D” tonight.

SicEmBaylor
1/3/2015, 05:26 PM
Are we sure he's choosing to leave, and Mike didn't have a living room sit down with his brother to quietly encourage it?

soonercastor
1/3/2015, 05:28 PM
He's interviewing but last I heard former USC DC Clancy Pendergast is the front runner

Sooner8th
1/3/2015, 05:42 PM
If mike leaves and the defense does not improve - then bob needs to go.

SicEmBaylor
1/3/2015, 05:48 PM
If mike leaves and the defense does not improve - then bob needs to go.

You'll have the apologist crowd rushing to say, "He's a first year DC! It'll take time to get his system into place and the right players recruited!" It's always about kicking the ball a little further down the road to avoid accountability.

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2015, 05:50 PM
Wow! Once the $1M mark was broken for assistants, the floodgates are opening. $1.7M for a DC!

8timechamps
1/3/2015, 06:13 PM
When I first heard this, I thought it was just wishful thinking on someone's part. Now, it appears this story has real legs.

From LSU's perspective, I'm not sure I see the lure of Mike, but I certainly wouldn't be upset if he were to take the gig (if offered).

Turd_Ferguson
1/3/2015, 06:17 PM
Comment from that same airticle on FB...

Josh has a interview with air comfort solutions this week.:surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surp rise:

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2015, 06:18 PM
When I first heard this, I thought it was just wishful thinking on someone's part. Now, it appears this story has real legs.

From LSU's perspective, I'm not sure I see the lure of Mike, but I certainly wouldn't be upset if he were to take the gig (if offered).

Yes, so many people speculate that Bob would never fire his brother. That may be true, but that whole brother thing is a 2 way street. I couldn't see Mike hanging around if he thought it just put a lot of negative pressure Bob. I think he would certainly seek another position so that Bob would never be in a position to be forced to fire him (or get fired because of him).

cherokeebrewer
1/3/2015, 06:29 PM
Mike Stoops & Les Miles? Something about that just don't sound right.

SoonerorLater
1/3/2015, 06:33 PM
Josh to ?

soonergirlNeugene
1/3/2015, 06:44 PM
heh...there is a 7 page meltdown thread about this interview over on tigerdroppings

My favorite was that he was doing it so that we would give Mike a raise. lol

Turd_Ferguson
1/3/2015, 06:47 PM
Josh to ?

Air Comfort Solutions...pay tention.

yermom
1/3/2015, 07:28 PM
Bo's defense in 2004 wasn't really the greatest when he left for LSU...

wasn't Bob making about $2MM when he came here? that's a ton of money for an assistant...

Eielson
1/3/2015, 08:22 PM
Are we sure he's choosing to leave, and Mike didn't have a living room sit down with his brother to quietly encourage it?

If he went to LSU for a similar contract, I'd say you might be onto something, but it looks like LSU would double his contract. Makes sense for Mike even if things were good here, and Bob wouldn't be able to get Mike much of a raise even if he felt it were justified.

Eielson
1/3/2015, 08:23 PM
At least if Mike leaves, we can finally hire Kirby Smart. We are OKLAHOMA!

8timechamps
1/3/2015, 08:31 PM
heh...there is a 7 page meltdown thread about this interview over on tigerdroppings

My favorite was that he was doing it so that we would give Mike a raise. lol

I think Mike could do well in Baton Rouge. He'll be back to coaching a 4-3 scheme, which is his bread and butter. And, there's no shortage of athletes in the region for him to recruit.

Eielson
1/3/2015, 08:32 PM
I think Mike could do well in Baton Rouge. He'll be back to coaching a 4-3 scheme, which is his bread and butter. And, there's no shortage of athletes in the region for him to recruit.

They also still haven't figured out the forward pass out there.

Mazeppa
1/3/2015, 08:38 PM

Maybe Mike likes crawfish and snapping turtle soup.

8timechamps
1/3/2015, 08:40 PM
They also still haven't figured out the forward pass out there.

Funny and true. Eventually, the temps/pass happy offenses will migrate through the SEC (Mizzou and A&M already do it, and Mississippi, Kentucky and soon to be Florida will run a version of it), then he'll be right back to where he is now, but he should have a couple of years before that happens.

SoonerBorn
1/3/2015, 08:51 PM
I would be happy to write him a letter of recommendation, and I'd use small words so Les could understand it.

NorthernIowaSooner
1/4/2015, 12:06 PM

I agree, I don't see the allure on their part but coaching is an odd business like that.

I think Mike may understand the situation he's in. Bob won't (can't) fire him because he's his brother but a change needs to be made. He may understand that if he stays he may take Bob down with him in time and I don't think he'd want to do that.

OkieThunderLion
1/4/2015, 01:56 PM
I was told Mike needs to stay within certain range of DFW until his kids are out of HS. And that is part of the reason he was never considering the Ohio St deal. What that range is, and is Baton Rouge within it, I don't know?

Widescreen
1/4/2015, 02:51 PM
I was told Mike needs to stay within certain range of DFW until his kids are out of HS. And that is part of the reason he was never considering the Ohio St deal. What that range is, and is Baton Rouge within it, I don't know?
I'm not sure why he would bothering interviewing at a school that he has no ability to take.

EatLeadCommie
1/4/2015, 03:34 PM
This is surprising, but if he's doing this, that means he is being encouraged to by his brother.

I'm going to laugh if Mike gets shown the door and nobody else does. Mike may not be the answer, but on the list of problem coaches, he is behind Heupel, Norvell, and BJW.

ouduckhunter
1/4/2015, 03:54 PM
So Les interviews everybody on Saturday. If he already had his guy picked out before hand, and interviewed the others as a formality, seems like we would have had an announcement by now. I'm intrigued!

SoonerorLater
1/4/2015, 04:30 PM
I would be happy to write him a letter of recommendation, and I'd use small words so Les could understand it.

So Les Miles can read?

OU68
1/4/2015, 04:38 PM
This is surprising, but if he's doing this, that means he is being encouraged to by his brother.

I'm going to laugh if Mike gets shown the door and nobody else does. Mike may not be the answer, but on the list of problem coaches, he is behind Heupel, Norvell, and BJW.

Giving receivers 10 yard cushions kept our offense on the sidelines way too much.

pappy
1/4/2015, 04:41 PM
I hope he gets the job. Then Kish, BJW and Heupel get shown the door and we might be on the way back up.

bluedogok
1/4/2015, 04:50 PM
Giving receivers 10 yard cushions kept our offense on the sidelines way too much.
That was overcompensation for getting burned deep all the time the season before.

jkjsooner
1/4/2015, 05:51 PM
That was overcompensation for getting burned deep all the time the season before.

And this season. Look at the Baylor game. The couple of times we played up on the receivers we got burned. Not much you can do when you only have one player who can cover worth a flip.

bluedogok
1/4/2015, 06:16 PM
And this season. Look at the Baylor game. The couple of times we played up on the receivers we got burned. Not much you can do when you only have one player who can cover worth a flip.
I just don't remember them playing so far off receivers in previous seasons but I do remember them trying to play tight and many receivers blowing by them. Heck that is about 75% of the Baylor offense.

NorthernIowaSooner
1/4/2015, 07:07 PM
I hope he gets the job. Then Kish, BJW and Heupel get shown the door and we might be on the way back up.

I wondered about Kish myself. Are Mike and Kish handcuffed in a sense? Is Kish gone by default if Mike is? He was his DC in Arizona and the current LB corps are underwhelming. I think this will be a easy out for Bob to get rid of Kish and hopefully not make him DC.

cherokeebrewer
1/4/2015, 08:23 PM
With Clancy Pendergast being the favorite for the LSU job, this could be an awkward moment for Bob...

bluedogok
1/4/2015, 09:22 PM
With Clancy Pendergast being the favorite for the LSU job, this could be an awkward moment for Bob...
On a link to the Tiger Droppings thread about Pendergast elsewhere it says that he pulled his name out of consideration for the LSU job.

Who thought "Tiger Droppings" was a good name for a forum.....

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2015, 09:40 PM
On a link to the Tiger Droppings thread about Pendergast elsewhere it says that he pulled his name out of consideration for the LSU job.

Who thought "Tiger Droppings" was a good name for a forum.....

I like it - self deprecating (defecating?). They needed something clever with Auburn and now Mizzou also being tigers.

cherokeebrewer
1/5/2015, 09:26 AM

Good, I'd sure like to see him become a Sooner...

ashley
1/5/2015, 02:05 PM
Don't get excited, I don't think Bob is going anywhere. Think about it, would he really leave his brother and his security blanket.

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2015, 02:16 PM
Don't get excited, I don't think Bob is going anywhere. Think about it, would he really leave his brother and his security blanket.

I assume you mean Mike. And yes, I think he would leave if he felt he was hurting Bob - at least if he is a thoughtful brother he would.