PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee may hang a hunerd on us

TrophyCollector
1/2/2015, 06:32 PM
Judging by how much they have evolved and how much we have devolved this season. They are stomping a country mudhole in Iowa. They'll also have some new 5* recruits on the roster (something we won't).

EatLeadCommie
1/2/2015, 06:53 PM
Iowa sucks, but so does Clemson. Like I said, 8-5 is a very distinct possibility again next year, and possibly even a losing season. There is no reason to think we won't lose to all the same teams next year, and then there is Texas and Tennessee on the road. Then we don't show up for some miserable bowl game and get clocked by somebody like Washington State.

Since71ASooner4Life
1/2/2015, 07:16 PM
Cheer up guys. I was listening with half an ear to some program talking about Ohio State having too many QBs, and that at least one would transfer. I think that a transferee can play immediately with the caveat that he is going to a "lower level" program, which means we ought to qualify :>)

Soonerjeepman
1/2/2015, 07:52 PM
thought I heard fsu braxton

swardboy
1/2/2015, 07:55 PM
Is it too early to ask about Dorial Green-Beckham's status for next year? Of course I'm assuming we'll have a real QB next year too.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2015, 08:34 PM
Is it too early to ask about Dorial Green-Beckham's status for next year?

No - just too early to get an answer. I'm sure if we put up a poll, it would be 90%+ folks guessing he declares for the NFL. Stoops says DBG hasn't made up his mind yet, so I take that to mean he's gone.

8timechamps
1/2/2015, 08:45 PM
You would think that folks would learn that bowl games are a horrible indication of what to expect the next year. Certainly would have thought all Sooner fans would know that by now.

I do think Tennessee will be a very difficult opponent next year, but to use today's game as a gauge isn't really logical. If it worked that way, we would have been undefeated this year.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2015, 08:55 PM
You would think that folks would learn that bowl games are a horrible indication of what to expect the next year. Certainly would have thought all Sooner fans would know that by now.

If people don't learn after repeated examples, that's similar to repeating the same action and expecting different results.

Conclusion: Fans are insane.

cvsooner
1/2/2015, 08:59 PM
We'll see. That was last season. All sorts of things can change between now and then.

Since71ASooner4Life
1/2/2015, 09:47 PM

I do think Tennessee will be a very difficult opponent next year, but to use today's game as a gauge isn't really logical. If it worked that way, we would have been undefeated this year.

8time,

I'm not using today's game as my gauge - rather the trend over several seasons culminated by this resounding flush in our Toilet Bowl. We were not a good team this year, and there's as much logical reason to expect we'll be worse next year than to expect we'll be better. We have to establish relevance and prove that we belong in the top 20 again. We've been blinded by denial for a number of years and needed this 2x4 upside our heads to finally wake up and smell reality. It pains me to be honest about the situation, but the only thing elite about us is our history and tradition.

8timechamps
1/2/2015, 10:43 PM
8time,

I'm not using today's game as my gauge - rather the trend over several seasons culminated by this resounding flush in our Toilet Bowl. We were not a good team this year, and there's as much logical reason to expect we'll be worse next year than to expect we'll be better. We have to establish relevance and prove that we belong in the top 20 again. We've been blinded by denial for a number of years and needed this 2x4 upside our heads to finally wake up and smell reality. It pains me to be honest about the situation, but the only thing elite about us is our history and tradition.

I'm not going to argue the state of the program, as I think we all saw the same product on the field this year. We may differ in what we think needs to be done, or what we think the team is capable of next year, but those are all speculations at this point anyway. My point is that you can't tell much (or anything) from a bowl game. Tennessee has improved, but how goof were they to start with?

The SEC was overrated (severely). Alabama was supposed to be the exception, and they didn't really back that up. With the exception of Arkansas and Tennessee, they lost their bowl games. Tennessee should be better next year, and I expect them to be a tough opponent, I just don't think they are where we are (I think we're better).

This season was disappointing, however, I still don't think Tennessee is going to destroy us...especially not based on a bowl game performance.

TrophyCollector
1/2/2015, 11:04 PM

I will make the following predictions based on the 2013 & 2014 seasons. We will see...

- Sporadic QB play (at best)
- Wasting of timeouts due to late play calls and general confusion
- Poor tackling
- Lots and lots of Perine running into 8, 9 and 10 man fronts.
- 1 to 3 opposing QBs getting their first significant air time on ESPN thanks to OU pass defense
- Inability to convert 3rd down - long, medium and short
- Players & Coaches screaming and yelling at each other.

New things we'll see in 2015

- Large patches of empty seats at multiple home games

Based on a sample size of 26 games over 2 seasons, all of these predictions seem highly likely. Hope I'm wrong and if I am I'll buy the beer at the playoff tailgate, but I'm less optimistic than I've been since the 1997 season ended.

Eielson
1/2/2015, 11:46 PM
I still think we have a new guy coaching our QBs next season. I'd also expect to purposely establish our identity as a running team rather than be forced into it partway through the season. That would take some pressure off the QB while new guys develop.

I also expect we redo the way things are done in the defensive backfield. I'm not sure whether that means BJW will be gone, or Mike makes some major changes, but I assure you changes will come. I can't confirm that they will help, though.

Hardest worked position this season will probably be safety. Mike will work to get every ounce out of them. Whether that's enough is TBD.

I also expect that the TO situation will get settled, and plays will get called quicker. Hopefully that helps, but in the end, we may just end up with worse calls that we don't switch for fear of it being too late.

8timechamps
1/3/2015, 04:59 PM
I will make the following predictions based on the 2013 & 2014 seasons. We will see...

- Sporadic QB play (at best)
- Wasting of timeouts due to late play calls and general confusion
- Poor tackling
- Lots and lots of Perine running into 8, 9 and 10 man fronts.
- 1 to 3 opposing QBs getting their first significant air time on ESPN thanks to OU pass defense
- Inability to convert 3rd down - long, medium and short
- Players & Coaches screaming and yelling at each other.

New things we'll see in 2015

- Large patches of empty seats at multiple home games

Based on a sample size of 26 games over 2 seasons, all of these predictions seem highly likely. Hope I'm wrong and if I am I'll buy the beer at the playoff tailgate, but I'm less optimistic than I've been since the 1997 season ended.

I'm going to wait until I see what transpires within the coaching ranks before making my predictions for next year. A lot can and will happen between now and next season. When the season draws closer, I'll post my predictions, and one of us will be buying beer.

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2015, 06:04 PM
I'm going to wait until I see what transpires within the coaching ranks before making my predictions for next year. A lot can and will happen between now and next season. When the season draws closer, I'll post my predictions, and one of us will be buying beer.

A lot can happen and will happen - that's my prediction. I know most fans have a bad taste in their mouth from the last half of the season, but let's not forget the first half. We were pretty good and if we had progressed at a normal learning rate, would have ended the season as a very good team (not playoff level). But for whatever reason, the wheels fell off and we regressed significantly. Same thing happened in '11 too. Part of it is injuries to key players, but I've seen other teams get out of sync for no explainable reason. The good news is that they regroup during offseason and can reset back to where they should be. If whatever staff changes are made work out and the returning and new players are ready to go, we'll start out being a good team again next year. If not, Bob needs to look in the mirror and see if an image of Mack Brown is staring back.

8timechamps
1/3/2015, 06:11 PM
A lot can happen and will happen - that's my prediction. I know most fans have a bad taste in their mouth from the last half of the season, but let's not forget the first half. We were pretty good and if we had progressed at a normal learning rate, would have ended the season as a very good team (not playoff level). But for whatever reason, the wheels fell off and we regressed significantly. Same thing happened in '11 too. Part of it is injuries to key players, but I've seen other teams get out of sync for no explainable reason. The good news is that they regroup during offseason and can reset back to where they should be. If whatever staff changes are made work out and the returning and new players are ready to go, we'll start out being a good team again next year. If not, Bob needs to look in the mirror and see if an image of Mack Brown is staring back.

There's no question that there is a possibility that next year goes the same way this year did, but I've always been a firm believer in the saying "things are never as good, or bad, as they seem" when it comes to OU football. While this year was, without a doubt, extremely disappointing, I believe we have the pieces to win the conference next year (and who knows what will happen after that). The players didn't change from the beginning of the season (when we were predicted to play for a title), and we've added some important pieces through recruiting. So, anything's possible.

I think we all realize that there will be some staff changes this off season, so that's a big variable. However, Stoops has a pretty good track record of bringing in quality coaches (there have been some complete flops too, but overall I think he's a good evaluator of coaching ability).

GreatCecilsGhost
1/5/2015, 08:56 AM
Having lived in Knoxville for almost 20 years, I have watched Tennessee a LOT. Night game, Neyland Stadium will be rocking, fans will be likkered up and stoked. Their team is hungry for payback, and there will be blood in the water. If we have the same two coords calling plays next year in that situation, Tennessee will make us long for the days of 34-point beat-downs. Tennessee is where we were in 1999. The fans, and more importantly the players, have bought into Butch lock, stock, and barrel. And he is delivering. The last time I saw this much anticipation for next season in Knoxville was after Tennessee beat FSU for the Crystal Ball in 1998. They have come far enough that even at our best of 2000-2008, we would be in for a serious dogfight in Neyland with the team they are going to field next season. They will be favored to win the SEC-E, and have a legitimate shot at winning the whole durn conference.

badger
1/5/2015, 09:18 AM
Tennessee has been cleaning up on the recruiting trail recently...lots of hats on display at the All American games. 247 reports 27 solid/signed commits for this class, with 33 enrolled last year.

It's a good thing Rocky Top has those alternate gray jerseys now, if y'know what I mean *wink* *nudge* *cough*

GreatCecilsGhost
1/5/2015, 12:22 PM
Tennessee has been cleaning up on the recruiting trail recently...lots of hats on display at the All American games. 247 reports 27 solid/signed commits for this class, with 33 enrolled last year.

It's a good thing Rocky Top has those alternate gray jerseys now, if y'know what I mean *wink* *nudge* *cough*

If it means the kind of turnaround Tennessee is experiencing, maybe they should take Bob's retention bonus and buy some at OU.

badger
1/5/2015, 12:48 PM
If it means the kind of turnaround Tennessee is experiencing, maybe they should take Bob's retention bonus and buy some at OU.

Iowa's lost its last three bowl games --- Rocky Top this season; LSU previously and OU the one before that. I'm not sure what qualifies other-UT as a "turnaround," but at least they're bowling again???

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2015, 01:29 PM
OU will have an offseason reset and will most likely start off next season as good or better than last season. If true, the Vols will not be blowing OU out of the stadium. Recall that OUr road game against TCU was highly contested right down to the last few minutes of the game when we failed to convert a 4th and 1. TCU will finish the season ranked at #4 or higher.

badger
1/5/2015, 01:41 PM
I think we're catching Vol at the right time with the home and home a la Florida State back during Landry Jones era. They are good and getting better but they're not there yet, so we'll get both wins and have something to hang our hat on for the next few years when they get better. It will also be funny to see them tick off the rest of the SEC if they ever get as good as they're shaping up to be... or, they can underachieve and fire another coach

tooslow
1/5/2015, 05:24 PM
Hopefully I'll be able to get tickets to the game in Knoxville. I live in TN and have always been ragged on by my friends who pull for the Vols. They are very confident they will return the favor to us later this year, but most expect the Vols to finally return to prominence in 2016, or at least have one of their best defensive units at that time. As we well know, some projections never come through as planned. ;)

GreatCecilsGhost
1/8/2015, 01:24 PM
Iowa's lost its last three bowl games --- Rocky Top this season; LSU previously and OU the one before that. I'm not sure what qualifies other-UT as a "turnaround," but at least they're bowling again???

I disagree with you, Badj. I think if we would have had a re-match with Tennessee in a bowl game this past season, they would have beaten us handily. Their offense at the end of the season with Dobbs at QB was as much of a polar opposite to their early-season offense under Worley as ours was from good to atrocious. They are a completely different team with Dobbs at QB, and he's back next year. In fact, Tennessee only loses a handful of players that had significant playing time. Tennessee would have run Florida late in the season, and would have handily beaten Jawja. It isn't just that the competition was inferior down the stretch, there was a whole different attitude and feel to the team after Dobbs took over. They believed they would win, and they played like it. OU's players were playing like they were more terrified of pi$$ing off the coaches than they were of making a bad play...so they did both - a LOT.

badger
1/8/2015, 01:34 PM
if we would have had a re-match with Tennessee in a bowl game this past season, they would have beaten us handily

No dispute there; I am fairly confident that virtually every bowl-bound Power 5 team would have smothered us in our sleep in a bowl game last month. We were death marching off a cliff into the offseason abyss and were not playing for anything at the Russell Athletic Bowl, sadly. Not all players, but the team overall appeared to be in unmotivated mode

Early next season, on the other hand? I think OU wins.

Breadburner
1/8/2015, 01:39 PM
We should just drop football......The pressure is just to much for these new generation fans......

badger
1/8/2015, 01:43 PM
I would agree with you BB, but fumblerooski has been outlawed ;)