PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 (well really 10 and we are keeping it that way!) in bowls...

Soonerjeepman
12/29/2014, 11:49 PM
Conference records...

WV 5-4 tied for 4th in big 12 losses to a sub .500 second from last sec west team.
Horns 5-4 tied for 4th in big 12 losing (prob will) to sub .500 last place sec west team.
OU 5-4 tied for 4th in big 12 got blasted by #2 in ACC

at least the team that beat us was ranked and had over .500 conf record.

Big 12 not looking so good...

EatLeadCommie
12/29/2014, 11:56 PM
Meh. Really? Bowl games are nice when we win a big win, but they don't show much for conference strength. They are so much different than playing in the middle of the season with the downtime and the planning.

WVU didn't have Clint Tricket and it showed. If they have Tricket, they win that game.
I didn't expect UT to beat Arky because Arky played like a top 20 team at the end of the season and Texas simply isn't good apart from their D.
We simply didn't show up and we embarrassed the conference and the program. But if we weren't going to show up, I wouldn't expect to come away with a W either. I just didn't expect 40-6.

Soonerjeepman
12/30/2014, 12:15 AM
obviously I disagree....so will all the media.

The Big 12 had a "chance" to prove we are as good as the sec and other conf...didn't happen, SO FAR. See what tcu, bu and ksu can do.

soonercastor
12/30/2014, 07:21 PM
Yup, people feeling less sorry about not letting the champ twins in the playoffs

soonergirlNeugene
12/30/2014, 08:16 PM
That a season like this happened in the inaugural year of the playoff does not bode well for our conference. I certainly know I'd like to wake up and have it be August again.

Eielson
12/30/2014, 08:37 PM
It's all about what TCU and Baylor do.

BoulderSooner79
12/30/2014, 08:37 PM
That a season like this happened in the inaugural year of the playoff does not bode well for our conference. I certainly know I'd like to wake up and have it be August again.

It will be a lot worse if our big12 co-champ teams go out and lay eggs. Who would have ever thought the crown jewel teams of the conference (OU and UT for those that forgot) would have ever gotten whipped so thoroughly in mid-tier bowls.

soonergirlNeugene
12/30/2014, 09:13 PM
It will be a lot worse if our big12 co-champ teams go out and lay eggs. Who would have ever thought the crown jewel teams of the conference (OU and UT for those that forgot) would have ever gotten whipped so thoroughly in mid-tier bowls.

At least we have teams like Baylor, KSU, and TCU to carry the torch, though I'd rather OU be the standard-bearer for the B12.

bluedogok
12/30/2014, 10:54 PM
If the Big 12 goes 0-fer bowls do you think the leadership wakes up a bit?

SoCalBigRed
12/31/2014, 01:53 AM
Bowl games gave become a non-event. Especially when you have such lackluster squads like this one... and it infects the team, top to bottom. No fire, no edge, no pride. And I don't care for arguments that, they hurt worse than us, crap... it showed from their lack of effort, to close out the season and especially in the "bowl game" they just didn't care.

Sad.

Why should we?

48 years, born and bred... grew up down the street from the campus (508 Fleetwood, look it up). Heck, I like to think myself one of the youngest alumnus, as my dad was going there... I went to the pre-K and K at OU. Went to the little elementary down the way. Used to attend Friday night JV games with my mom... back when those existed. One of my worst childhood memories was that damn KU game, in '75... remember riding to that game, in the back of a van, sitting in a lawn chair that wasn't strapped down... and then the absolute stunned atmosphere of that whole day. We were unbeatable and lost to friggin' KANSAS!?

I didn't think this day would ever come... that I could be so apathetic.

ouflak
12/31/2014, 06:54 AM
I didn't think this day would ever come... that I could be so apathetic.

It's not just you. And it's not just OU fans. It's happening across the board to teams all over the country for a variety of reasons. The overall generation of college football fans is becoming an older one. It's not a good sign of things to come for anybody.

Eielson
12/31/2014, 01:26 PM
The fact that we almost beat TCU this year with our team might actually be our coaching staff's biggest accomplishment. Ole Miss is just overmatched out there. It took two or three plays for me to decide Ole Miss' offense probably wouldn't score. There defense might, but even they are struggling.

flysooner9
12/31/2014, 01:37 PM
TCU is showing the middle finger to the playoff committee

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2014, 01:38 PM
Dang, I hate watching the TCU defense. Pressuring the passer with 4 guys. Contesting every throw with tight coverage. Stopping the run. Envy is an ugly emotion.

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2014, 01:39 PM
TCU is showing the middle finger to the playoff committee

And it wouldn't surprise me if Bama makes the tOSU pick look stupid.

cvsooner
12/31/2014, 01:59 PM
TCU playing the role of Clemson and Ole Miss looking like OU. Never underestimate the ability of young men to surprise and disappoint you.

I still think much of what happened this year had to do with a. injuries; b. off-field drama (Mixon/Shannon/DGB) where players thought coaching staff didn't have their backs; c. coaching decisions that made players (esp. defense) look bad; and d. the switch to a playoff format and once we had two losses players mostly didn't care to put forth top effort, trying mainly to not get hurt.

Once the bowl thing was set, the players get the same trip to Orlando, the same gift bag, the same trip to Universal Orlando and Walt Disney World, regardless of what happens on the field, and knowing the coaches will take almost all the heat for it. Those playing are either graduating/headed to the draft, or already working on next season.

cvsooner
12/31/2014, 01:59 PM
Also, I think Venables turned his group loose--despite all the press conference niceties--to throw up one big finger to Bob that he made the wrong decision in which DC to keep.

aurorasooner
12/31/2014, 02:29 PM
Dang, I hate watching the TCU defense. Pressuring the passer with 4 guys. Contesting every throw with tight coverage. Stopping the run. Envy is an ugly emotion.

TCU's defense looks like ours in early 2000s, creating confusion, playing downhill with awareness, and knocking the offensive players on their azz. ("they all run like a deer", comes to mind from the mid-80s)
They're definitely not playing puzzy FB like we seem to be have done in conference play since the Cotton Bowl this year, grabbing at the ball carrier with our hands, tackling air, chasing the receivers from behind, and absolutely zero perception of where the receivers are before the ball is thrown so we can make a play on the ball and not just drag the receiver down after the catch, Other than Sanchez some of the time, that is.

With all that, we had our chance twice at the end of the game to beat them after our D did step up. Our offense, like so many other times this year, just couldn't come close to getting it done. I guess after after a few games like this, this year's defense just wore down mentally and their mindset got to be, "what's the use unless we take it all the way for 6".

Soonerjeepman
12/31/2014, 02:33 PM
I'd quote about 4 replies...and love all of them...

tcu giving the bowl committee the middle finger- yup, and I LOVE it...go Frogs~

envy is an ugly emotion - lol, so true...why why why~

bama goin to make osu look stupid - also agree...

and last but not least, yes, CV, Brent was definitely giving the OU staff the middle finger. Can you imagine what he said to the D before the game?

soonergirlNeugene
12/31/2014, 10:29 PM
I dunno if it's the liquor talking, but watching all this "your christmas wishes have been granted" playoff propaganda, I kinda wish TCU and Baylor (if they stomp MSU tomorrow) should declare themselves national champions this year just to stick it in the selection committee(and whoever came up with this stupid 4 team playoff)'s eye. They won't. But dammit they totally should. Two conferences are going to get left out sooner or later either b/c everyone is all up on one conference's jock (sec) or Notre Dame gets into the mix.

Hah! Other ppl must be drinking what I'm drinking b/c http://collegespun.com/homepage/a-decent-amount-of-cfb-analysts-fans-think-tcu-should-voted-no-1-in-the-final-ap-poll

Texas Golfer
12/31/2014, 10:52 PM
I dunno if it's the liquor talking, but watching all this "your christmas wishes have been granted" playoff propaganda, I kinda wish TCU and Baylor (if they stomp MSU tomorrow) should declare themselves national champions this year just to stick it in the selection committee(and whoever came up with this stupid 4 team playoff)'s eye. They won't. But dammit they totally should.

Baylor (should they win) and TCU should claim the national championship. They should get rings and have a parade. Remember Auburn doing it when they were left out of the BCS Championship game?

soonergirlNeugene
12/31/2014, 10:56 PM
Baylor (should they win) and TCU should claim the national championship. They should get rings and have a parade. Remember Auburn doing it when they were left out of the BCS Championship game?

As far as I'm concerned, they can officially keep that one. The NCAA stripped USC and Stoops has already said he didn't want it.

OUinFLA
12/31/2014, 10:57 PM
well, Im enjoying what the ramblin wreck is doing to the bulldogs so far in the orange bowl.
sec west aint looking like what espin hyped them to be.
beat themselves up in conference play? not doing too well out of conference either.

Soonerjeepman
1/1/2015, 09:05 AM
bottom of the sec 2-0, top of the sec 0-2....nice..of the ones I watched...

soonergirlNeugene
1/1/2015, 10:50 AM
Well up until yesterday, every B12 game featured an unranked B12 team against a ranked team from another conference. Doesn't excuse our loss in any way, but the matchups certainly set up the B12 for a tough day.

Soonerjeepman
1/3/2015, 12:32 AM
okay..screw it..

go huskies

might as well really drop the ball.

big 12 - 1/5 right now....hopefully 1/6 by nights end.