PDA

View Full Version : My apologies/Post game statment!

8timechamps
12/29/2014, 10:27 PM
First, I want to compliment Clemson. They do a good job over there.

As for what happened today, I think I can boil it down to my choice to grow a beard for today's game. Early in the year, I had grown a beard...to start the season actually. And it worked, until the TCU game. So, after that game, I went back to the drawing board and decided to put the razor back into action. After the OSU debacle, I decided it would be a good time to bring back the beard. I figured with almost three weeks to prepare, all of the skin on my face would be healthy and ready for action.

Over the past two weeks, things were really looking good. All of the follicles seemed to be growing in a great way, and I had no off-the-face issues at all. I really liked the way my face prepared coming into today's game.

I should have known something was amiss when I overheard my family saying it was time to let the beard go, that I had gotten complacent with the growing process and I was resting on my past beards. Since they don't know what goes on in my bathroom every morning, it was easy to dismiss their talk and focus on today. So, I went into game mode ready for action. I realized something was off when I went to take a drink, early in the game, and left a lot of liquid on my mustache. Later, I actually had onion dip on it too, and had to be notified by another person. I called a time-out, put the game on pause and went to the mirror. My son's weren't happy about that time-out, and one even said "typical...waste a time out for something that should have been figured out by this point in the season".

Anyway, the rest of the game I just couldn't seem to find a good rhythm with my beard. Every time I thought I had it just right, it would itch, or some of the younger hairs would ignore my grooming habits and poke out in their own direction. That happens with youth some times. At the end of the day, the hairs just failed to execute the way I have groomed them, and it cost me.

Going forward, I will put the razor back in action, and correct what can be corrected. I want to remind everyone that I have grown some glorious beards in the past. Breathtaking at times. That's the goal I aim for every time I seek to grow my facial hair. So, I'll start on that process here in a couple of weeks.

I do want to point out a few positives...the goatee portion of my beard, a seasoned part of the overall structure, did well. That is to be commended. Also, I thought my eyebrows preformed beautifully for most of the day. Those two areas grew in a great way.

Any questions?

EatLeadCommie
12/29/2014, 10:31 PM
Pretty sure your entire post is cut and pasted from Bob's presser tonight.

Wishboned
12/29/2014, 10:32 PM
What was your facial hair status for the Sugar Bowl?

8timechamps
12/29/2014, 10:34 PM
What was your facial hair status for the Sugar Bowl?

Every year is different. That was a different beard, with different hairs.

Snrinhouston
12/29/2014, 10:34 PM
8time,

I think you are well-meaning sincere guy (as opposed to Olevet and his mouth-breathing clique)…but I hope this game makes you see the truth of the matter.

OU cannot compete for another national title with Stoops as coach.

8timechamps
12/29/2014, 10:39 PM
8time,

I think you are well-meaning sincere guy (as opposed to Olevet and his mouth-breathing clique)…but I hope this game makes you see the truth of the matter.

OU cannot compete for another national title with Stoops as coach.

I still disagree.

I will say that I believe there needs to be some internal changes. This game was meaningless to most fans, and it was obvious from the first time the team stepped on the field that they weren't interested either.

There needs to be some shake-up, but I'm not interested in getting rid of Stoops.

Snrinhouston
12/29/2014, 10:43 PM
I still disagree.

I will say that I believe there needs to be some internal changes. This game was meaningless to most fans, and it was obvious from the first time the team stepped on the field that they weren't interested either.

There needs to be some shake-up, but I'm not interested in getting rid of Stoops.

Why? What have you seen from Stoops' team the past six years that indicates he has what it takes to field a team that seriously competes for the national title?

At what point will you draw the line? 7 years, 8 years, 9 years without competing for a title? At what point do you say, "Enough is enough. Oklahoma is about championships and the current coach doesn't have what it takes to be in the hunt for one?"

pappy
12/29/2014, 10:45 PM
Stoops could land every 5 star recruit in the country for the next 4 or 5 years and still not win the national title with this coaching staff.

EatLeadCommie
12/29/2014, 10:49 PM
I still disagree.

This is a problem. He is paid to make sure the team still plays for pride, at the very least. Screw us fans for not caring. Granted, it looked like attendance there was about 80% Clemson fans and the stadium was half empty, but the team needs to overcome that. Not like they played well with a home field advantage this year anyway.

Wishboned
12/29/2014, 10:50 PM
How do you think people will look back at your overall beard history? Do you think it's a beard that will stand the test of time?

Peeb
12/29/2014, 10:50 PM
8times- you really need to properly manage that facial hair from here on out to be sure it doesn't cause any recruiting de-commits.

Your candid and sincere analysis was refreshing and appreciated.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/29/2014, 10:51 PM
And to think I skipped shaving my legs this morning. I was sleepy and I didn't know, I didn't know...

Wishboned
12/29/2014, 10:58 PM
And to think I skipped shaving my legs this morning. I was sleepy and I didn't know, I didn't know...

But by the 2nd quarter you'd have just been saying what most of my dates say, "I shaved my legs for this?"

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/29/2014, 11:09 PM
But by the 2nd quarter you'd have just been saying what most of my dates say, "I shaved my legs for this?"

LOL. You are quite correct. Only it was the first quarter. First drive, actually.

lexsooner
12/29/2014, 11:47 PM
I knew it! All your fault, 8time! All levity aside, however, hasn't poor preparation in games, especially bowl games, i.e. Boise, WV, USC, been a hallmark of the Stoops era? Is there any other program which lays down in certain games as much as Bob's Sooners? That is a leadership problem. I think Bob needs a time frame to pull things together. In the meantime, changes in his staff are called for now.

8timechamps
12/29/2014, 11:59 PM
Why? What have you seen from Stoops' team the past six years that indicates he has what it takes to field a team that seriously competes for the national title?

At what point will you draw the line? 7 years, 8 years, 9 years without competing for a title? At what point do you say, "Enough is enough. Oklahoma is about championships and the current coach doesn't have what it takes to be in the hunt for one?"

I understand your frustration, I really do. However, I truly believe Stoops has earned the right to fix what's broken.

I am not arguing that changes don't need to be made, that much is obvious. However, I think Stoops is still the guy that can get it done.

No, we haven't been where we want to be in a while (6 years), but I'm not going to bail on the guy after an 8-5 season. Like I've said many times before, if next year is like this one, then the heat will definitely be applied...and justly.

We are Oklahoma, we expect teams to win it all. Some expect it every year, but most are realistic and expect it every few years. I know people don't like to reference the 90's, but the program was wondering in the wilderness for over a decade. Stoops is the reason we have those lofty expectations again. He deserves the right to correct what ever it is that's wrong inside the program.

I've said this a million times, and I'll say it again; I was a season ticket holder during the 90's, and sat through every home game (and many road games). There were some embarrassing times during that decade, and with each new coach/assistant coach hired, the feeling of optimism returned. Soon after, that feeling vanished and was replaced with a feeling of hopelessness, and the feeling that the 'glory days' were long gone, never to return. There was a feeling that the days of being competitive were long gone. During all those years, I still supported the team and whomever roamed the sidelines wearing "OU" on their chest. I never called for anyone to be fired, but it wasn't because I didn't want someone else, it was because I understood just how far the program had fallen and the work it would take to bring it back.

Bob Stoops did that. Over his tenure in Norman, the great memories far outweigh the bad ones. While we (the Sooner fans) get irritated at times, his name still carries a lot of weight and respect throughout the country and in every recruited player's living room. I don't care who may be the next in line to feed the monster, Stoops has done a great job for a very long time.

This particular loss didn't change anything for me. If we would have won by 50, would you have felt better about the season? I'm guessing "no" is your answer, because it wouldn't have changed anything for me either. I completely agree that there are issues that need to be addressed, and that there are coaches that need to be let go. I just don't think it's Stoops that needs to be the one packing his bags.

I really don't think he's going to be around a lot longer. I think he's going to see the stadium expansions through, then he's going to hang it up. I'm not looking forward to the day when he leaves his head coaching post. And yes, it's because I'm afraid of the unknown, but I'm more afraid of the ghosts of the 90's.

This season sucked. From top to bottom, it sucked. From the offense to the defense to special teams, it sucked. But, it's over. If Stoops can't get back to winning next year, then I'll be the first one to agree that his time has come. I just don't feel that way right now.

8timechamps
12/30/2014, 12:01 AM
This is a problem. He is paid to make sure the team still plays for pride, at the very least. Screw us fans for not caring. Granted, it looked like attendance there was about 80% Clemson fans and the stadium was half empty, but the team needs to overcome that. Not like they played well with a home field advantage this year anyway.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but getting a team up for a bowl game is not a problem specific to OU. It just happens that OU plays in meaningful bowl games more times than not, so we don't see a lot of it. OU won't be the only team that fails to show up for their bowl game this year, not that that makes it any less disappointing.

8timechamps
12/30/2014, 12:02 AM
How do you think people will look back at your overall beard history? Do you think it's a beard that will stand the test of time?

My beard is better than most. Just last year, my beard witnessed the Sugar Bowl beating of Alabama. My beard has seen a lot since we, err, I mean Stoops got to Norman.

EatLeadCommie
12/30/2014, 12:10 AM
I'm not disagreeing with you, but getting a team up for a bowl game is not a problem specific to OU. It just happens that OU plays in meaningful bowl games more times than not, so we don't see a lot of it. OU won't be the only team that fails to show up for their bowl game this year, not that that makes it any less disappointing.

Fair enough. It's just that given his history of not showing up for evenly matched opponents, I expect more. There is no way Clemson should've wiped the field with us like they did. Even playing uninspired, we should lose by 10 max. We got waxed and shut down by a DC who we rightly chased out of town.

Soonerjeepman
12/30/2014, 12:11 AM
yes, if OU had won 50-0 I would have been a he44 of a lot happier than I am now. Am I totally pissed and down...no. Why? the season was rough (not just W/L...coaching mistakes, TO issues, lots of things) but 8-5 with the last 2 losses, vs blowing out the #2 team in the ACC who about beat fsu...yes that would have gone a long way in the off season.

EatLeadCommie
12/30/2014, 12:12 AM
All this beard talk is confusing. Are we talking about facial hair or Boren's wife?

Therealsouthsider
12/30/2014, 12:12 AM
...."I understand your frustration, I really do. However, I truly believe [Stoops] has earned the right to fix what's broken"

...."I understand your frustration, I really do. However, I truly believe [Mack] has earned the right to fix what's broken.

ss

Snrinhouston
12/30/2014, 12:26 AM
...."I understand your frustration, I really do. However, I truly believe [Stoops] has earned the right to fix what's broken"

...."I understand your frustration, I really do. However, I truly believe [Mack] has earned the right to fix what's broken.

ss

Agree with the point you make via sarcasm. What is this "earned the right..." crapola? Stoops gets paid very handsomely. This is a pay for performance game. You perform, you get paid...and paid well. You don't perform, you get fired.

There is no credit bank. Stoops didn't earn a right to return after that 2009 debacle. He returned because decision makers considered that season an anomaly and believed Stoops still could compete for a national title.

If Stoops coaches the team in 2015 it should NOT be because he's got the coaching equivalent of a "get out of jail card." It should happen because decision makers believe he can still SERIOUSLY compete for an NC. No other criteria is relevant...especially any sort of nostalgic "old times sake" bs.

8timechamps
12/30/2014, 12:32 AM

ss

Night and Day.

Brown's last 5 years:

Year
Record
Conf. Record
Bowl
Final Ranking

13-1
8-0
L Title Game

5-7
2-6
None
UR

8-5
4-5
W Holiday Bowl
UR

9-4
5-4
W Alamo Bowl

8-5
7-2
L Alamo Bowl
UR

42-22
26-17

Stoops last 5 years:

Year
Record
Conf. Record
Bowl
Final Ranking

12-2
6-2
W Fiesta Bowl

10-3
6-3
W Insight Bowl

10-3
8-1
L Cotton Bowl

11-2
7-2
W Sugar Bowl

8-5
5-4
L Russell Ath. Bowl
UR

51-15
32-12

Surely you're not trying to say they have both done the same over their last 5 years.

8timechamps
12/30/2014, 12:38 AM
Agree with the point you make via sarcasm. What is this "earned the right..." crapola? Stoops gets paid very handsomely. This is a pay for performance game. You perform, you get paid...and paid well. You don't perform, you get fired.

There is no credit bank. Stoops didn't earn a right to return after that 2009 debacle. He returned because decision makers considered that season an anomaly and believed Stoops still could compete for a national title.

If Stoops coaches the team in 2015 it should NOT be because he's got the coaching equivalent of a "get out of jail card." It should happen because decision makers believe he can still SERIOUSLY compete for an NC. No other criteria is relevant...especially any sort of nostalgic "old times sake" bs.

You do realize that I'm a fan, and nobody in the administration asks me how I feel about Stoops job security, right? So, by that logic, my opinion is that he's "earned the right" to fix what's broken. That's how it works, since I'm not tasked with reviewing his future employment, I base my opinion on what I see, not what parameters are in place for his future performance (since NONE of us really know those things).

Also, if you believe there is no "credit bank" for coaching, you're fooling yourself. So, if Saban were to go out next year and coach the Tide to an 8-5 season, he'd be fired based on what you're saying, right? Since it doesn't matter what he's done up to that point.

I know you guys like to work in the $5 million figure, but it means nothing to me. That's what the market is paying, and he (and anyone else in that position) would be a fool to take less. Let's no pretend like gigantic contracts are unique to OU, and that everyone on earth is paid exactly what they're worth. That entire context is a non-starter.

ouwasp
12/30/2014, 12:42 AM
8time, please put a number on it for next yr, I'm curious. What is the minimum number of football victories you will deem to be satisfactory to continue the Stoops regime?

8timechamps
12/30/2014, 12:47 AM
8time, please put a number on it for next yr, I'm curious. What is the minimum number of football victories you will deem to be satisfactory to continue the Stoops regime?

There isn't a magic number.

Had we gone 11-2 this year, with the only losses coming against TCU and KSU (the way they actually happened), I wouldn't be upset about the year. I'd still be disappointed, but close, hard fought losses to good teams are understandable.

If we look the same next year, as we did this year, then no, I won't be satisfied.

I assume you are in the "Stoops needs to go" camp?

Snrinhouston
12/30/2014, 12:48 AM
U
You do realize that I'm a fan, and nobody in the administration asks me how I feel about Stoops job security, right? So, by that logic, my opinion is that he's "earned the right" to fix what's broken. That's how it works, since I'm not tasked with reviewing his future employment, I base my opinion on what I see, not what parameters are in place for his future performance (since NONE of us really know those things).

Also, if you believe there is no "credit bank" for coaching, you're fooling yourself. So, if Saban were to go out next year and coach the Tide to an 8-5 season, he'd be fired based on what you're saying, right? Since it doesn't matter what he's done up to that point.

I know you guys like to work in the $5 million figure, but it means nothing to me. That's what the market is paying, and he (and anyone else in that position) would be a fool to take less. Let's no pretend like gigantic contracts are unique to OU, and that everyone on earth is paid exactly what they're worth. That entire context is a non-starter.

No. That is not what I am saying. Saban would not be fired for going 8-5 next year, because decision makers would (rightfully) have credible data indicating that it was an abberation AND that Saban still has the goods to compete for a title.

Bob's 8-5 comes on the sixth season of not being in serious contention for a NC. So the Saban hypothetical is not comparable to kick-it-again Bob's situation.

EatLeadCommie
12/30/2014, 12:51 AM

Well considering he had competed the year before and 2009 was a debacle pretty much exclusively due to Sam being injured, I think it is appropriate that he got some slack. Same with 2005 coming off two NC games in an obvious rebuilding year.

He gets no slack this year, and he shouldn't get any slack for not winning the conference since whenever the last time was we actually won it.

8timechamps
12/30/2014, 12:55 AM
U

No. That is not what I am saying. Saban would not be fired for going 8-5 next year, because decision makers would (rightfully) have credible data indicating that it was an abberation AND that Saban still has the goods to compete for a title.

Bob's 8-5 comes on the sixth season of not being in serious contention for a NC. So the Saban hypothetical is not comparable to kick-it-again Bob's situation.

There's the rub though, we aren't privy to what, exactly, is going on behind the scenes.

If Stoops stays (and I'd be extremely shocked if he didn't), then it's safe to say that the administration feels confident that next year isn't going to be a repeat of this year, and they reach that conclusion based on what they know. Those are the things we don't know.

You can blame Stoops for being overly guarded with the media, or not forthcoming about much of anything, but any way you slice it, we really don't know what the internal issues are, and there are obviously several.

8timechamps
12/30/2014, 01:00 AM
Heading to bed, but I wanted to add that we aren't that far apart on how we feel. You want Stoops gone, whereas I'm willing to give him more time. The bottom line is that we both realize there are issues and we both want them corrected.

No reason to argue over it, but I do think the conversation is interesting.

birddog
12/30/2014, 01:07 AM
Of the 28 most lopsided losses in Oklahoma history dating back to 1895, Stoops owns 5 of those. All since 2011 besides 2004. Beard or no beard this is fact. That's cool. Keep the staff. They sure look competent enough to turn it around! Lol. Done til some coaches take their personal pics off the wall and box em up with their undeserved sense of accomplishment.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/30/2014, 01:15 AM
There are things we don't know and then there are things we do know because we have eyes.

Such as: undisciplined players who get avoidable penalties, burning time-outs unnecessarily, idiotic play-calling that refuses to build on what is working in favor of...IDK, some other hare-brained scheme that yields jack.

Just for a start.

Aries
12/30/2014, 09:20 AM
Dean Blevins says odds are 70/40 that the beard stays.

ouwasp
12/30/2014, 09:47 PM
There isn't a magic number.

Had we gone 11-2 this year, with the only losses coming against TCU and KSU (the way they actually happened), I wouldn't be upset about the year. I'd still be disappointed, but close, hard fought losses to good teams are understandable.

If we look the same next year, as we did this year, then no, I won't be satisfied.

I assume you are in the "Stoops needs to go" camp?

I wasn't until this bowl game, now I'm leaning this way. A season that went this far south demands accountability. Like you, I remember the Dark 90s vividly...and I will always be grateful for the deliverance Joe C and Bob provided (Boren gets some of the blame for the Dark 90s lasting as long as it did, imo). In turn, OU has made Stoops a very wealthy man, and I would imagine his entire family is set for life.

Point is, he has not been treated shabbily at all...and he's been given a lot of latitude. Now, Bob must make the hard decisions necessary to right the ship. If he is unable or unwilling to do so, or simply doesn't know what to do, he should retire and live happily ever after. So, little peon me is willing to give Bob the opportunity to stay...but only if drastic changes are made and a short leash given in the future.

Must get new OC and new DC. Hire a proven qb coach. When OU gets beat by a better, more talented team in the future, so be it- that's the nature of athletics. But don't ever lose to osu again.

Wishboned
12/30/2014, 10:17 PM
Would you have considered pulling the beard and maybe replacing it with the goatee? Or even just the mustache?

8timechamps
12/31/2014, 02:24 AM
Would you have considered pulling the beard and maybe replacing it with the goatee? Or even just the mustache?

Everything is going to be evaluated in the off season. Everything.

I'm even looking at the handlebar mustache...but, that's inside info, so keep it on the down low.

8timechamps
12/31/2014, 02:28 AM
I wasn't until this bowl game, now I'm leaning this way. A season that went this far south demands accountability. Like you, I remember the Dark 90s vividly...and I will always be grateful for the deliverance Joe C and Bob provided (Boren gets some of the blame for the Dark 90s lasting as long as it did, imo). In turn, OU has made Stoops a very wealthy man, and I would imagine his entire family is set for life.

Point is, he has not been treated shabbily at all...and he's been given a lot of latitude. Now, Bob must make the hard decisions necessary to right the ship. If he is unable or unwilling to do so, or simply doesn't know what to do, he should retire and live happily ever after. So, little peon me is willing to give Bob the opportunity to stay...but only if drastic changes are made and a short leash given in the future.

Must get new OC and new DC. Hire a proven qb coach. When OU gets beat by a better, more talented team in the future, so be it- that's the nature of athletics. But don't ever lose to osu again.

I completely understand why there are a group of fans that are ready to see him go (which is why I don't really get too worked up over it), I just think he's still the guy that can get it done. However, it all comes down to this off season and next year.

As Phil wrote in his Road Warrior piece (on the front page of this site)...any goodwill Stoops has saved up is now gone. He has absolutely no room for error now. If he can get things in order this off season (and that will require letting coaches go), then I think the fans will be calmed. If he makes no changes, and sticks with what got him to this point, then he better win it all (or come really close) next year, or that'll be it. If it happens that way, then I'll be ready to see him leave.

I appreciate all that he's done, and even though he got us back where we expect to be, the monster can (and will) bite the hand that feeds it.

Snrinhouston
12/31/2014, 09:56 AM
I completely understand why there are a group of fans that are ready to see him go (which is why I don't really get too worked up over it), I just think he's still the guy that can get it done. However, it all comes down to this off season and next year.

As Phil wrote in his Road Warrior piece (on the front page of this site)...any goodwill Stoops has saved up is now gone. He has absolutely no room for error now. If he can get things in order this off season (and that will require letting coaches go), then I think the fans will be calmed. If he makes no changes, and sticks with what got him to this point, then he better win it all (or come really close) next year, or that'll be it. If it happens that way, then I'll be ready to see him leave.

I appreciate all that he's done, and even though he got us back where we expect to be, the monster can (and will) bite the hand that feeds it.

I certainly didn't appreciate the "gee, we are the only school to win at least 8 games in the past 16 years" comment. Does he believe the fans are so naive to be placated with that fact?

Eielson
12/31/2014, 10:48 AM
I certainly didn't appreciate the "gee, we are the only school to win at least 8 games in the past 16 years" comment. Does he believe the fans are so naive to be placated with that fact?

He just can't please you...not even with factual statements.

SoonerorLater
12/31/2014, 10:48 AM
Getting rid of a long time coach is always a dicey proposition, especially one that has been successful. Only in hindsight can you be sure what should have been done. There is historical evidence to support both sides of the debate. Even though I have little confidence that Bob can turn this around I think the next step is to do some substantial house cleaning with the assistants. By substantial I mean we should have more new blood than retained coaches.

I think Bob needs to decide exactly what he wants the team identity to look like then hire the coordinators he feels can do that, then let them run their systems. I believe going forward Bob needs to give his OC and DC more autonomy as well as demanding accountability based on some set of objective criteria. Of course all of this is predicated on making the correct hires.

swardboy
12/31/2014, 11:03 AM
Sorry folks, I knew I shouldn't have bought the new underwear...

kenth68
12/31/2014, 03:15 PM
Stoops could land every 5 star recruit in the country for the next 4 or 5 years and still not win the national title with this coaching staff.

Exactly my thoughts. While I don't think Stoops needs to go - yet, he needs to get rid of his brother and Heupel. Neither one seems to know how to get the kids to play their schemes. And I'm not really sure Heupel has a scheme, other than calling plays he thinks he could have run. Revamp the coaching staff, and if Stoops doesn't and we have more of the same next season, then I'll be calling for him to go.