PDA

View Full Version : The Dean Blevins Game - odds of specific coaches getting canned

EatLeadCommie
12/29/2014, 09:28 PM
Heupel - 90% after tonight. I don't see how he survives, but nothing is definite. If he is willing to eat crow, I could see that, barring a wholesale firing, there is a 30% chance of demotion back to QB coach.

Norvell - Putting this at 60%. There is a chance Bob simply elevates him to the booth, which is the wrong move, IMO. I think whoever Bob puts at OC, he should pull a Saban and have their asses on the sideline.

Mike Stoops - 40%. Sorry, but I don't see it happening. This defensive performance looks worse tonight than it really was. We gave up a long play early, which we have done probably 5-6 times in bowl games under Bob, and weren't awful outside of that apart from tackling in the secondary. We did play soft coverage at corner, which is an ongoing problem. But one thing is increasingly clear. Just as Brent Venables wasn't the answer at DC, neither is Mike.

BJW - 90%. He will step down or take an administrative job to save face. This secondary is awful.

Kish - 50%. Seems like a pretty solid recruiter, and would obviously go before Mike, but LB play is suspect. Nobody outside the front 3/4 appears to know how to tackle. Firing Kish may be a way of giving Mike one more year.

Gundy - 0%. This guy has been solid for years and seems content to stay at that position. Might be time to elevate him or lose him though if we fire Josh/Jay.

Others - I don't know who the WR or QB coaches are, but they need to go. They might be Heupel/Norvell's responsibility.

The newer guys stay. They haven't been a problem.

Bob Stoops - 10%, probably 0%. Boren is too chickens*** about enduring another Blake era, as is way too much of Sooner Nation. I wouldn't rule out anything in this crazy world, but I don't see him getting fired. I say maybe 33% chance he resigns. He is the winningest coach, and I know the thought of his dad dying coaching a football game must linger. He lacks fire because he doesn't want to go like that. I do see him being read the riot act and told that this year was unacceptable and that certain coaches need to go.

pappy
12/29/2014, 09:34 PM
I don't see Mike Stoops being fired for 1 reason and only 1 reason. He is Bob's brother and Bob doesn't want to get grounded to his room.

Kish has to go. Heupel has to go. Norvell needs to only coach wr's and recruit.

Wright has to go.

If Bob won't make changes then he needs to go.

Sooner8th
12/29/2014, 09:41 PM
"big game" ain't gettin' fired. Little alcoholic bro ain't going nowhere. I love Heupel, we all love Heupel for the 2000 NC, but this ain't feedin' the bulldog - does "big game" have the sack to can his since he is married to boren daughter? Remember boren said no to the fat man coming back. Novell can recruit but sure as hell can't coach. Tish can do neither. BJW is way past expiration date. Gundy is a hoss, better do something to keep him around. the rest are serviceable. The problem starts at the top - arrogant dick who knows better than everyone else. We still can't defend a 7 yard hitch. Once you start to tell the head coach who needs to be fired and what the expectations are go ahead and move on with a new coach and don't let our program go into mack brown territory. At this point, what the **** is the difference between stoops and blake?

OUinFLA
12/29/2014, 10:00 PM
when has bob ever "fired" anyone?

SoonerMarkVA
12/29/2014, 10:07 PM
Heupel is not getting fired. No way. My only hope is that he accepts a demotion back to QB coach, where he actually was superb. This experiment has been the Peter Principle in action. Stoops needs to find a proven, inventive offensive mind out there, with fresh ideas and fresh blood, and BACK THE **** OFF and let him actually coach, full reins. I'm beginning to wonder if *any* OC since Mangino in 2000 has actually been pulling the strings, or if Conservo-Bob has been playing the marionette the whole time.

Mike seriously needs to take a hike. He has lost it. He should just be gone, period. Hell, look at what AZ has done since he left. Bye-bye.

Others that need to go: BJW, Kish, Norvell. I'm seriously considering adding Bedenbaugh to that list. The O line was atrocious against any decent defense this year.

Honestly, at this point though, I think the best move is to can Bob himself (or hopefully he'll step down and save face for the University, if he even cares enough at this point) and clean house. Obviously that puts a huge burden on Castiglione to go find "the next Bob Stoops". But it looks to me like complacency has begun to turn into decay. Once that starts, you just have to go with a root canal, no matter how unpleasant. Unfortunately, if B. Stoops doesn't resign, there is no way he'll be fired. It would take at least 3 more years this bad or worse before Joe C. and Boren would seriously consider it.