PDA

View Full Version : STOOPS APOLOGISTS…THE FLOOR IS YOURS..

Snrinhouston
12/29/2014, 09:19 PM
Let's hear again why Stoops is the best coach in the country, and OU is soooooooooooo fortunate to have him…and how there is nobody out there to replace him.

OUinFLA
12/29/2014, 09:20 PM
Michigan already hired harbaugh

OUmillenium
12/29/2014, 09:22 PM
Would we rather have Les Miles? Seriously, I might at this point.

REDREX
12/29/2014, 09:22 PM
He burned out after about the same number of seasons Bud and Barry did

pappy
12/29/2014, 09:23 PM
When is his next scheduled raise? Does he get it during spring practice?

REDREX
12/29/2014, 09:25 PM
Right now I am not sure he could win the Spring game

Jacie
12/29/2014, 09:25 PM
How about the guy at North Dakota State? He led them to a 14-1 record this season . . .

aero
12/29/2014, 09:26 PM
I'll always be interested in how OU football is doing but as long as Stoops & Co. continue I will no longer be emotionally attached. If the coaches and players don't care any more than what they showed tonight then I find it hard to care too.

flysooner9
12/29/2014, 09:27 PM
But he won a National Championship almost 15 years ago.

SoonerorLater
12/29/2014, 09:29 PM
We may have to make a few tweaks to our game if we expect to win a national championship next year.

jkjsooner
12/29/2014, 09:30 PM
Let's hear again why Stoops is the best coach in the country, and OU is soooooooooooo fortunate to have him…and how there is nobody out there to replace him.

Nobody is saying Stoops is the best coach. He might be better than what we could get.

I think firing Stoops would be stupid. Most potential coaches would stear clear of a program who would fire the winningest coach in school history after a disappointing but winning season.

The ice is thinning but it's much too soon to fire Stoops.

Snrinhouston
12/29/2014, 09:37 PM
Nobody is saying Stoops is the best coach. He might be better than what we could get.

I think firing Stoops would be stupid. Most potential coaches would stear clear of a program who would fire the winningest coach in school history after a disappointing but winning season.

Too soon? OU hasn't competed for a national title for 6 years now. How many more years years of decline until you pull the plug?

EatLeadCommie
12/29/2014, 09:41 PM
I apologize for Bob Stoops.

ouwasp
12/29/2014, 09:45 PM
A texsa fan texted me a bit ago with a pic of a u-haul trailer, saying this will be parked in front of Bob's castle in the morning. Heck, if texsa fans aren't going to apologize for Bob, why should I?

jkjsooner
12/29/2014, 09:45 PM
Too soon? OU hasn't competed for a national title for 6 years now. How many more years years of decline until you pull the plug?

If never going six years without competing for a national title is the expectation then good luck finding anyone who would coach here.

Snrinhouston
12/29/2014, 09:46 PM
I apologize for Bob Stoops.

Great. Maybe you can talk to him and see how much of that $5.25 million he's going to return this year for woefully performing below expectations.

Snrinhouston
12/29/2014, 09:50 PM
If never going six years without competing for a national title is the expectation then good luck finding anyone who would coach here.

You clearly aren't aware of the expectations of a heritage program like OU. And you are clearly unaware of the expectations that come with a salary of $5.25 million.

Sooner8th
12/29/2014, 09:59 PM
If never going six years without competing for a national title is the expectation then good luck finding anyone who would coach here.If we fired stoops tomorrow, the IT dept at OU would have to expand joe c's inbox capacity with applicants. There are only 15 or so college head coach's who wouldn't kill for this job.

Therealsouthsider
12/29/2014, 10:01 PM
....I think in his presser he should talk down to the reporters and insult OU fans

ss

pappy
12/29/2014, 10:01 PM
If we fired stoops tomorrow, the IT dept at OU would have to expand joe c's inbox capacity with applicants. There are only 15 or so college head coach's who wouldn't kill for this job.

This.

Snrinhouston
12/29/2014, 10:03 PM
If we fired stoops tomorrow, the IT dept at OU would have to expand joe c's inbox capacity with applicants. There are only 15 or so college head coach's who wouldn't kill for this job.

Yep.

pappy
12/29/2014, 10:04 PM
....I think in his presser he should talk down to the reporters and insult OU fans

ss

lol awesome.

bluedogok
12/29/2014, 10:05 PM
How about the guy at North Dakota State? He led them to a 14-1 record this season . . .
He is in his first season as a head coach at NDSU, the previous coach who won the championships (Craig Bohl) moved onto Wyoming after all those years in Fargo.

EatLeadCommie
12/29/2014, 10:07 PM
When do we start getting press conference quotes?

pappy
12/29/2014, 10:13 PM
When do we start getting press conference quotes?

Apparently Stoops deflected the embarrassment that was tonight's game by bringing up beating Alabama last year.

dvdcrr
12/29/2014, 10:16 PM
Husker fan dropping in for a quick hello. Stoops was the reason y'all turned it around and beat us in 2000. He has been very much the reason OU came back from total mediocrity of the 90's. Get rid of Stoops theres probably 20 teams that would take him immediately. When OU had it rockin you had a little Heupel magic and real tough D. Get that formula going again.

tulsaoilerfan
12/29/2014, 10:19 PM

Not sure if Mack was the winningest coach in Texas history but he got ran off; right now the OU program is in the same shape Texas was in circa 2011

Snrinhouston
12/29/2014, 10:28 PM
Not sure if Mack was the winningest coach in Texas history but he got ran off; right now the OU program is in the same shape Texas was in circa 2011

And rightfully so. One can outstay one's welcome, as Mack learned. Bob has outstayed his.

hawaii 5-0
12/29/2014, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't like to see any OU coach of any sport get complacent.

Joe C. might be good to do some reflecting.

5-0

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/29/2014, 10:35 PM
Maybe we could replace Stoops with Mack Brown. The two have become virtually indistinguishable.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/29/2014, 10:43 PM
Husker fan dropping in for a quick hello. Stoops was the reason y'all turned it around and beat us in 2000. He has been very much the reason OU came back from total mediocrity of the 90's. Get rid of Stoops theres probably 20 teams that would take him immediately. When OU had it rockin you had a little Heupel magic and real tough D. Get that formula going again.

Thanks for dropping in with that brilliant insight! Absolutely no one on this forum has ever thought of this.

dvdcrr
12/29/2014, 11:00 PM
Thanks for dropping in with that brilliant insight! Absolutely no one on this forum has ever thought of this.
You're welcome

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/29/2014, 11:12 PM
You're welcome

Speaking of mediocrity, I got stuck in a little Holiday Bowl traffic the other evening.

CatfishSooner
12/29/2014, 11:36 PM
You're welcome

go to hell husker ****

Huskbob
12/29/2014, 11:48 PM

OK, Sooner fans. Calm down. I live in Nebraska and whenever I am not cheering for the Huskers, I cheer for the Sooners. Too bad that rivalry had to end.

Nebraska fans know only too well what you are going through. We have had 4 losses for the last seven years. Anyway, keep the faith. At least you did not have "Potty Mouth Pelini" to soil your image. That man was a total and complete jerk. (trying to be nice and conform to forum rules, here) There are not enough words in the Kingdom of Suckdom to describe the intolerable incompetence of that man. He is back in Youngstown, OH where he belongs. Don't be so hard on Stoops. Or, on the other hand, perhaps in a couple of years, Pelini and Stoops will hook up again in Youngstown. I think they both grew up there. Maybe they both belong there. We made a change with the HC position. We will see how it works out.

By the way, I think we play you guys somewhere down the road. If any of you need a place to hang your hat when you come to visit Memorial Stadium, give me a call. You will be treated well with some genuine Nebraska hospitality, seriously.

Fun to be on your board. Looking forward to some lively conversation. If any of you feel the desire to cheer for an additional team, Nebraska could use your help. There is always hope.

Huskbob
12/29/2014, 11:55 PM
go to hell husker ****

You must be genetically linked with the Pelini family tree? What a low class comment. Any Sooner friends I know ( and I know a bunch of them) are way above your level. dvdcrr pays you a compliment and you trash him?

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/29/2014, 11:58 PM
blah blah blah blah blah

With all due respect, **** off, dip****.

Your timing for all this empathy is suspect to say the least.

Huskbob
12/30/2014, 12:05 AM
With all due respect, **** off, dip****.

Your timing for all this empathy is suspect to say the least.

Your paranoia is noted. Can't believe you angry folks. Get a freaking grip. You show no respect. Doubt you know what it is. Name calling? Now that is some class act, right there. A little juvenile, to say the least.

Snrinhouston
12/30/2014, 12:11 AM
OK, Sooner fans. Calm down. I live in Nebraska and whenever I am not cheering for the Huskers, I cheer for the Sooners. Too bad that rivalry had to end.

Nebraska fans know only too well what you are going through. We have had 4 losses for the last seven years. Anyway, keep the faith. At least you did not have "Potty Mouth Pelini" to soil your image. That man was a total and complete jerk. (trying to be nice and conform to forum rules, here) There are not enough words in the Kingdom of Suckdom to describe the intolerable incompetence of that man. He is back in Youngstown, OH where he belongs. Don't be so hard on Stoops. Or, on the other hand, perhaps in a couple of years, Pelini and Stoops will hook up again in Youngstown. I think they both grew up there. Maybe they both belong there. We made a change with the HC position. We will see how it works out.

By the way, I think we play you guys somewhere down the road. If any of you need a place to hang your hat when you come to visit Memorial Stadium, give me a call. You will be treated well with some genuine Nebraska hospitality, seriously.

Fun to be on your board. Looking forward to some lively conversation. If any of you feel the desire to cheer for an additional team, Nebraska could use your help. There is always hope.

Uh, no!

$5.25 million a year comes with very high expectations. So when those expectations aren't met, hell yes sooner fans will be hard on kick-it-again-Bob.

How much of that $5.25 million (second only to Saban) do you think Bob will refund for his underperformance?

Huskbob
12/30/2014, 12:18 AM
Uh, no!

$5.25 million a year comes with very high expectations. So when those expectations aren't met, hell yes sooner fans will be hard on kick-it-again-Bob.

How much of that $5.25 million (second only to Saban) do you think Bob will refund for his underperformance?

Well yes, I understand your plight. Pelini walked off with 7.9 million buy out severance when he was fired. His annual contract was only 3.2 million per year. We always have high expectations, also. Unfortunately, like the Sooners, those expectations have not been met for a long time. Our AD finally had the nads to get Pelini kicking rocks down the road. In my opinion, he waited a year too long.

I always said that big time college football coaches should be paid per game. 5 million dollar contract? Divide that by the number of games played (12), about 416K per game. You win, you get the money. You lose, you don't get the money. Simple enough.

SicEmBaylor
12/30/2014, 12:48 AM
Stoops is fat, rich, and complacent. There's nothing wrong with being two of those three, but three out of three is inexcusable. He has yet to show a willingness to fundamentally change for the better.

Snrinhouston
12/30/2014, 12:50 AM
Stoops is fat, rich, and complacent. There's nothing wrong with being two of those three, but three out of three is inexcusable. He has yet to show a willingness to fundamentally change for the better.

The results certainly seem to support your contention.

BoulderSooner79
12/30/2014, 01:03 AM

Agreed. Being fat is disgusting.

olevetonahill
12/30/2014, 01:06 AM

For a Lawyer are YOU really this stupid?

olevetonahill
12/30/2014, 01:13 AM
Great. Maybe you can talk to him and see how much of that $5.25 million he's going to return this year for woefully performing below expectations.

Fire Bob an Mike show! Lets hire the 8th an Houston dweebs!

I agree Bob aint gettin it done But its wrong to say Lets Dump him!

misplaced_sooner
12/30/2014, 01:21 AM
To some degree, you can forgive a few of the bowl game loses. Boise State was hungry and that OU team played over their head that year. This game, it was clear that the OU team didn't care about this game as much as Clemson did.

What shouldn't be forgiven:
1) Becoming Baylor's whipping boy. I never thought I'd see the day when OU couldn't AT LEAST hang with Baylor.
2) Blowout loses EVERY ****ing year.
3) Multiple loses at home in the same season.
4) Lack of improvement year to year of the same players. It looks like TK has regressed. If this was an NFL team, Bob would have been gone two years ago.

We haven't competed for a national title since 2000. We've made the game but haven't competed on the big stage is a decade or more. The worst thing that could have happened to Bob was winning against Bama last year.

Time for a change, thanks for the great 15 years, but its time to move on.

Snrinhouston
12/30/2014, 01:22 AM
For a Lawyer are YOU really this stupid?

As I've said to you before (and perhaps it didn't get into your hillbilly brain), the day you aren't calling me stupid is surely the day that I am stupid.

Now go watch Deliverance for the 1000th time. I'm sure half your family were paid extras.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/30/2014, 01:23 AM
Fire Bob an Mike show! Lets hire the 8th an Houston dweebs!

I agree Bob aint gettin it done But its wrong to say Lets Dump him!

Vet, then what do you think the solution is?

You and I have agreed in the past that Bob's lost his mojo. That was at least a couple seasons back. I don't see any evidence since then that Bob is out to retrieve it. Same old tired crap every post-game presser, outcoached outplayed I take responsibility blah blah blah blah.

Yet nothing much changes at least as far as I can see.

Short of dumping Bob, what do you think will improve things?

olevetonahill
12/30/2014, 01:32 AM

Bob brot us Back from the Abyss, helped us Look ahead again . Yea I agree we need to build a Fire under his arse! Butt Running Him off? I dont think so at this Point

Tear Down This Wall
12/30/2014, 01:32 AM

This is where I am. Too soon to fire him. But, he's really got to step outside his comfort zone in hiring assistants. He's way too chummy with people who are failing him.

Knight - two first quarter interceptions? Why is he throwing the ball? Oh yeah, Heupel says we have to be balanced. Hey, stupid, in order to be balanced, you have to have a quarterback who can hit the broad side of a barn.

Practice Squad Manziel has had his one day in the sun. Two, if beating Iowa State moves the needle for you. He was horrible from his first start, injury prone...how a staff full of highly paid coaches looked at that and said, "FBS Quality!" tells you all you need to know about how screwed up the offensive staff is.

(And, Heupel...talking about how many times they scored 30 points this season...just shut up already, Josh. They don't hand out national title trophies to the top point scorer. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid Xbox mentality that comes from the Mike Leaches of the world. Awful.)

Stoops must fire Heupel or strip him of OC duties. Move his lard butt back to full time QB coach and go get an OC from somewhere else - and, someone with no ties at all whatsoever to that fraud Mike Leach!

I'm sorry, but Kish and Brother Mike/Barney Rubble have got to be considered for the chopping block as well. He's got to pull his head out of his as*s and move BJW back to the line to coach DEs and babysit Montgomery.

Sickening. Losing is one thing. Getting your as*s drilled 15 feet underground on national television after three weeks of preparation...by a school starting their backup QB?

Come on, Bob...this thing is in a ditch. Do what it takes to shake it up. All of your chummy coaching friends will have "University of Oklahoma" on their resumes, so someone will hire them - most likely Kevin Wilson or Mike Leach and their sinking ships. They will all land on their feet. Look at Brent Venables...he managed to survive without you!

olevetonahill
12/30/2014, 01:37 AM
Vet, then what do you think the solution is?

You and I have agreed in the past that Bob's lost his mojo. That was at least a couple seasons back. I don't see any evidence since then that Bob is out to retrieve it. Same old tired crap every post-game presser, outcoached outplayed I take responsibility blah blah blah blah.

Yet nothing much changes at least as far as I can see.

Short of dumping Bob, what do you think will improve things?

Dumping him Dayum sure aint the answer!
But he dayum sure needs a Fire under his asz !
I say 1 more year, Maybe . Now if he dont do some serious Changing? Screw it lets Find some one else!

When He came on board he lit a fire and restored OUR pride , Then has slowly let it DIE

Snrinhouston
12/30/2014, 01:38 AM
[QUOTE=SanDiegoSoonerGal;4918108]Vet, then what do you think the solution is?

Olevetonthecrapper doesn't give solutions. He just makes snarky comments at others, never arguing the merits or lack of merits of an idea.

Or he throws out witticisms like, "Bob, it's broke. Fix it". Brilliant! Like the rest of us couldn't figure out that something was wrong.

No, vet is not much on details...it's much easier (and far less stressful on his primitive brain) to lash out at anyone who dares question kick-it-again Bob.

olevetonahill
As I've said to you before (and perhaps it didn't get into your hillbilly brain), the day you aren't calling me stupid is surely the day that I am stupid.

Now go watch Deliverance for the 1000th time. I'm sure half your family were paid extras.

**** off dip ****!

SicEmBaylor
Dumping him Dayum sure aint the answer!
But he dayum sure needs a Fire under his asz !
I say 1 more year, Maybe . Now if he dont do some serious Changing? Screw it lets Find some one else!

When He came on board he lit a fire and restored OUR pride , Then has slowly let it DIE

Why one more year? What further evidence do you need after one more year?

olevetonahill
12/30/2014, 01:41 AM
[QUOTE=SanDiegoSoonerGal;4918108]Vet, then what do you think the solution is?

Olevetonthecrapper doesn't give solutions. He just makes snarky comments at others, never arguing the merits or lack of merits of an idea.

Or he throws out witticisms like, "Bob, it's broke. Fix it". Brilliant! Like the rest of us couldn't figure out that something was wrong.

No, vet is not much on details...it's much easier (and far less stressful on his primitive brain) to lash out at anyone who dares question kick-it-again Bob.

Aint you the Witty one?
yer solution is to Fire Bob?
I havnt really Defended Bob in a a couple years
Now go **** yerself ya Dip **** Lawyer~

olevetonahill
12/30/2014, 01:42 AM

Dont get me started you PUsiY
Hell I heard Bob is gonna Gonna hire Briles as his personal water boy

SicEmBaylor
12/30/2014, 01:43 AM
To some degree, you can forgive a few of the bowl game loses. Boise State was hungry and that OU team played over their head that year. This game, it was clear that the OU team didn't care about this game as much as Clemson did.

What shouldn't be forgiven:
1) Becoming Baylor's whipping boy. I never thought I'd see the day when OU couldn't AT LEAST hang with Baylor.
2) Blowout loses EVERY ****ing year.
3) Multiple loses at home in the same season.
4) Lack of improvement year to year of the same players. It looks like TK has regressed. If this was an NFL team, Bob would have been gone two years ago.

We haven't competed for a national title since 2000. We've made the game but haven't competed on the big stage is a decade or more. The worst thing that could have happened to Bob was winning against Bama last year.

Time for a change, thanks for the great 15 years, but its time to move on.

This is a nonsense metric. It's fair to say that OU shouldn't get that badly whipped by *anyone* but calling Baylor out specifically as some sort of shameful example of a school OU should never lose to is pure nonsense based upon a failure to accept that times change, programs change, and Baylor is no longer coached by Reedy/Steele/GuyMo. If this were a Steele coached Baylor team then you would absolutely have a point.

As for the rest of it, you're 100% accurate. I would add an absolute failure to properly develop players and recruit Big XII-ready QBs. It's astounding to me that OU is failing to develop the talent it has/had. TK is not a Big XII QB, and OU better be pulling out all of the stops to find one for this upcoming recruiting class. For God's sake -- Chad President ended up at TU. There are obvious reasons why that happened, but OU should have made a big push to get him after he de-committed from us.

I really can't stand to see OU lose except in one game a year. OU is better than this ****. Stoops, unfortunately, is not.

Snrinhouston
12/30/2014, 01:45 AM

That is exactly right! Nothing further to review. The past six years of data is sufficient to conclude that competing for another national title under Stoops is improbable.

olevetonahill
12/30/2014, 01:48 AM
That is exactly right! Nothing further to review. The past six years of data is sufficient to conclude that competing for another national title under Stoops is improbable.

So You and a Baylor little Brides maid agree? Good jorb

Snrinhouston
12/30/2014, 01:49 AM
[QUOTE=Snrinhouston;4918114]

Aint you the Witty one?
yer solution is to Fire Bob?
I havnt really Defended Bob in a a couple years
Now go **** yerself ya Dip **** Lawyer~

Bullsh*t. You fellate Bob damn near as much as Turd Ferguson fellates you.

BoulderSooner79
12/30/2014, 01:49 AM
Knight - two first quarter interceptions? Why is he throwing the ball? Oh yeah, Heupel says we have to be balanced. Hey, stupid, in order to be balanced, you have to have a quarterback who can hit the broad side of a barn.

I'm not defending the total game plan, but OU *must* be able to throw the ball. And the only way to find that out, is to attempt to throw the ball. TK was terrible tonight - the worst game he has played including his first 2 last season. And I have no doubt the Cody Thomas would have been just as ineffective. And that's the problem - we must have effective QB play to win games against good competition. Perine would have been beat to a pulp if we just handed off every play and *maybe* be lose a little slower, but lose we would, and that can't be the goal. Having a non-existence passing game is a total waste of talent like Perine. His presence should make play action deadly and cost the other team big plays over the top when they dare to stack the box. Without a passing game, all we have is juggernaut that can crush the likes of Kansas and ISU. That's not very satisfying, IMO. Look at Bama where they have the likes of Yeldon and Henry and yet they send a WR to New York for the Heisman ceremony.

Snrinhouston
12/30/2014, 01:57 AM
Dont get me started you PUsiY
Hell I heard Bob is gonna Gonna hire Briles as his personal water boy

Notice the wisdom of olevetonthecrapper's response to the question you posed. See how well he marshals evidence to support his position. He's such a refined elder statesman who can be counted upon for sage counsel.

olevetonahill
12/30/2014, 01:57 AM
[QUOTE=olevetonahill;4918117]

At least I dont try to Anal sex Him and the rest of the Staff! Ya moran!

olevetonahill
12/30/2014, 01:59 AM
Notice the wisdom of olevetonthecrapper's response to the question you posed. See how well he marshals evidence to support his position. He's such a refined elder statesman who can be counted upon for sage counsel.

If Only YOU had a clue LOL

Tear Down This Wall
12/30/2014, 02:04 AM
I'm not defending the total game plan, but OU *must* be able to throw the ball. And the only way to find that out, is to attempt to throw the ball. TK was terrible tonight - the worst game he has played including his first 2 last season. And I have no doubt the Cody Thomas would have been just as ineffective. And that's the problem - we must have effective QB play to win games against good competition. Perine would have been beat to a pulp if we just handed off every play and *maybe* be lose a little slower, but lose we would, and that can't be the goal. Having a non-existence passing game is a total waste of talent like Perine. His presence should make play action deadly and cost the other team big plays over the top when they dare to stack the box. Without a passing game, all we have is juggernaut that can crush the likes of Kansas and ISU. That's not very satisfying, IMO. Look at Bama where they have the likes of Yeldon and Henry and yet they send a WR to New York for the Heisman ceremony.

Yes. Look at Bama. Two national titles with McElwain as OC, another with Nussmeier...in the playoff this year with Kiffin calling the plays.

See a pattern there? Successful OCs being hired away. Who is knocking at our door to hire away Heupel? I mean, really.

Please, don't ask me to compare the results Bob Stoops gets out of his coaching staff to that of Saban. I could care less that we won the Sugar Bowl last year. Saban beat us for the national title at LSU; and, he added three more titles, so far, at Alabama.

Nick Saban and his coaching staff are on a higher plane than Bob Stoops and his chummy pal coaching staff. I don't see Saban being so chummy with any assistant that 8-5 would be just fine.

Again, losing is one thing- getting blown out is another. Stoops gets blown out more than Switzer or Wilkinson ever did. Outside of the Orange Bowl fiasco and the Jeff Hostetler WVU comeback, I don't think Switzer was ever blown out.

Stoops will change the coaching staff or sink slowly with them the way Mack Brown did.

Snrinhouston
12/30/2014, 02:04 AM
[QUOTE=Snrinhouston;4918123]

At least I dont try to Anal sex Him and the rest of the Staff! Ya moran!

What is it with your purposeful misspelling of words? Do you think it's funny? Cool?

Is it akin to the grade school kid who misbehaves because being notorious is better than being unnoticed?

Wait, maybe I'm reading too much into this. Maybe you REALLY just spell at a fourth grade level.

olevetonahill
12/30/2014, 02:06 AM
[QUOTE=olevetonahill;4918129]

What is it with your purposeful misspelling of words? Do you think it's funny? Cool?

Is it akin to the grade school kid who misbehaves because being notorious is better than being unnoticed?

Wait, maybe I'm reading too much into this. Maybe you REALLY just spell at a fourth grade level.

I'm sorry, Why do you want to make fun of me?I try really really hard!~

olevetonahill
12/30/2014, 02:09 AM
Notice the wisdom
of olevetonthecrapper's response to the question you posed. See how well he marshals evidence to support his position. He's such a refined elder statesman who can be counted upon for sage counsel.

You want to keep up with the Slander?
How about some Soloman gettin split by a Judge?

BoulderSooner79
12/30/2014, 02:15 AM
Yes. Look at Bama. Two national titles with McElwain as OC, another with Nussmeier...in the playoff this year with Kiffin calling the plays.

See a pattern there? Successful OCs being hired away. Who is knocking at our door to hire away Heupel? I mean, really.

You completely missed my point. You seem to be saying if we don't have a QB that can throw, all we need to do is avoid throwing. That's dead wrong. If we can't throw, we can't win and so I don't blame Heupel for designing a game plan that includes passing. But we *should* have a QB that can throw and a playbook that includes throws he can make. I'm not saying that Heupel can cut as OC - in fact I think we have plenty of data that shows otherwise. But criticizing the OC for including a passing element is silly - TK should be able to make those plays and has done so in the past. Trying to design a game plan assuming your QB can't pass is an impossible task in today's game. Might as well throw in the towel before kickoff.

olevetonahill
12/30/2014, 02:32 AM
You want to keep up with the Slander?
How about some Soloman gettin split by a Judge?

OHH did I hit close to home? Then STFU dip ****
Remember I know where you live LOL

Turd_Ferguson
12/30/2014, 03:16 AM
[QUOTE=olevetonahill;4918117]

heh, look at the big pu$$ running his mouth like he is somebody.

olevetonahill
12/30/2014, 03:19 AM
[QUOTE=Snrinhouston;4918123]

Call me or answer lol

Texas Golfer
12/30/2014, 03:38 AM
Calling for the firing of Stoops immediately after this humiliation is knee-jerking. To say that he is on par with Mack is inaccurate. UT went around .500 over a 3-year period. Bob has had 12 10-win seasons in 16 years. He's second only to Urban Meyer in winning percentage of active coaches, ahead of Nick Saban.

To say this season has been disappointing is an understatement. But reviewing the posts tonight (snarking at each other) is showing that were speaking emotionally rather than logically.

SicEmBaylor
12/30/2014, 03:59 AM
Calling for the firing of Stoops immediately after this humiliation is knee-jerking. To say that he is on par with Mack is inaccurate. UT went around .500 over a 3-year period. Bob has had 12 10-win seasons in 16 years. He's second only to Urban Meyer in winning percentage of active coaches, ahead of Nick Saban.

To say this season has been disappointing is an understatement. But reviewing the posts tonight (snarking at each other) is showing that were speaking emotionally rather than logically.

If this game happened in a vacuum and people were calling for his head, I'd agree that it would be a knee-jerk reaction. As it is, there are multiple seasons of lower expectations, poor on-field performance, poor coaching, poor recruitment, poor development, and poor QB play. This isn't just calling for his head over one game.

Texas Golfer
12/30/2014, 07:50 AM
If this game happened in a vacuum and people were calling for his head, I'd agree that it would be a knee-jerk reaction. As it is, there are multiple seasons of lower expectations, poor on-field performance, poor coaching, poor recruitment, poor development, and poor QB play. This isn't just calling for his head over one game.

If the second best win/loss percentage in the NCAA is less than expectations, perhaps our expectations are too high. I remember the years between Switzer and Stoops. While I can agree with you on several areas this season, I can't agree it's been multiple seasons. You don't have those you've mentioned and still have multiple 10-win seasons. Hell, he's averaging over 10 wins a season. Our QB play has been very poor the last couple of seasons. As for poor recruitment and poor development, Stoops has had two Heisman winners and a couple of runners-up. Adrian Peterson should have won but, at that time, no freshman had ever won and he split the votes with Jason White. He's won 8 Big XII championships. He's won all four BCS major bowls. No other coach has or will ever have that on their resume. Stoops has played for more national championships than any other active head coach. Am I disappointed? Yes. But, if we start having multiple 8-5 records in succession, I'll be less supportive.

bigfatjerk
12/30/2014, 08:16 AM
Honestly this all started 10 years ago with the loss to Pete Carroll and the Trojans in the Rose Bowl. Every since then we've seen signs every year but one that things are off in this program. The 08 and maybe the 07 seasons being exceptions but most of that is because of Kevin Wilson being a great coach.But every other year has had baffling bad losses, games where our team comes in unprepared throughout in several games. Coaching staff basically putting players in position to lose games at times. Honestly this season has been a long time coming it just all happened at once this year and the team never showed signs of being good after October.

Breadburner
12/30/2014, 08:36 AM
Missing some talent at key positions...Especially Qb......He will get it straightened out.......

Texas Golfer
12/30/2014, 08:37 AM
Kevin Wilson was a great offensive coordinator but he's not a good head coach. In his 4 years at Indiana, he has a 14-34 record.

Jack T.
12/30/2014, 08:47 AM
I tend to agree with BFJ. . .I dunno what happened in that USC game, but something died/changed/something. Even for fans, that game still stands as a milestone. . .and we still refer to it as TGOWWDNS.

You'll say "there's no way that game changed anything. . .football doesn't work that way." Maybe. Or maybe it took the wind out of the coaching staff's sails, sewed seeds of doubt, broke the confidence. . .something.

bigfatjerk
12/30/2014, 08:47 AM
Yeah I agree Wilson has done a bad job, although Indiana is a place that is tough to win at. Probably one of the worst P5 jobs out there. But he's done a bad job there and I'm kinda shocked he didn't get fired after this year.

BTW I meant to say Orange Bowl in the post above.

Sabanball
12/30/2014, 08:48 AM
I've been hesitant to jump on Stoops like many others in recent years because of the respect that I have for his entire body of work, but it really appears to me at times like he has just given up, left the program on auto pilot, and is cashing a check. No sense of urgency or intensity at all. I also think nepotism/getting rid of Venables has hurt your D and now you have his brother who honestly sometimes looks more like he's related to Bo Pelini than like a Stoops. Your program is too good to stay mired in mediocrity for long but I think Bob needs to reevaluate a lot of things and take a long hard look in the mirror and decide what exactly he wants to do. You can blame the coordinators all day long ten times to sunday, but ultimately it's his responsibility.

beached_sooner
12/30/2014, 11:27 AM

Good Gawd ! The only person on the forum that can come up with a response even more nonsensical than the vet himself, is the Prez of the vet fan club!

Is that all you are good for is throwing out random curse words and trying to puff your chest out like you're some bad-azs? Puhleeze, spare us the bandwith.

By the way do you have a fan club for Barney, Sponge Bob, and the Teletubbies too? Seriously, you're how old and you worship some old illiterate on this forum who hasn't got anything better to do than post 62,000 times to this forum? Get a life tuff guy.

cherokeebrewer
12/30/2014, 12:06 PM
You guys better chill or you'll face "The wrath of the posse"...Lol

hawaii 5-0
12/30/2014, 12:36 PM
Some funny 'side action' comic relief bringing a lighter note to the serious of the issue.

Bob needs to take some real action or step aside. Mediocrity is no longer an option.

Losing multiple home games and then getting blown out in a bowl game are indicators that the wheel fell off.

5-0

Eielson
12/30/2014, 12:50 PM
The floor is mine, it has been for 15 years, and it will be again next year after we win the Big XII. Laugh all you want at that, but you would have laughed at this time last year had I said we'd go 8-5. You're all getting caught up in the moment, which is one of the most obnoxious features of a message board.

Changes will be made this offseason.

Jacie
12/30/2014, 01:27 PM
Is there another school besides Oklahoma that would offer Bob Stoops $5,000,000/year to be their head football coach?

If yes, please tell us which program that is so we can nudge him to accept an offer.

If not, can anyone put a value on Bob Stoop's work for the University of Oklahoma?

SicEmBaylor
12/30/2014, 01:50 PM
Is there another school besides Oklahoma that would offer Bob Stoops $5,000,000/year to be their head football coach?

If yes, please tell us which program that is so we can nudge him to accept an offer.

If not, can anyone put a value on Bob Stoop's work for the University of Oklahoma?

He's getting paid 5mil and putting a 1.5mil product out on the field. /story

Eielson
12/30/2014, 02:02 PM
He's getting paid 5mil and putting a 1.5mil product out on the field. /story

Welcome to 2014. Guys like Sumlin and Strong are getting paid 5M, and guys like Hoke, Franklin, Miles, and even Ferentz are getting paid 4M. We aren't bringing in a Stoops replacement for 1.5M.

aurorasooner
12/30/2014, 02:58 PM
He's getting paid 5mil and putting a 1.5mil product out on the field. /story One thing I'd like to know is, did our HC return to Oklahoma today on the plane with the team, or is he hunkered down in his Florida vacation home this morning watching the stock ticker, meeting with his financial adviser, scheduling a tee time for this afternoon, under the guise of recruiting, while his brother is actually back in Norman running our FB program?

I really don't GAS, but as absolutely unprepared as we looked last night, after the shellacking we took on the field and this cluster&^%$ of a season, it would seem from a PR standpoint (and especially from a leadership standpoint), it does seem logical that he would immediately return to Norman on the team flight and either tonight or tomorrow meet with his assistants to tell them this (*&^ isn't going to cut it.

I didn't really care if we won or lost last night as long as we put a respectable product on the field, but I didn't dream we would get totally Butt*&*%$^ by freakin' Clemson. That's just not in any way, shape or form acceptable.

yankee
12/30/2014, 04:46 PM
What's really weird about this season is that we were literally a few points from being an 11 win team. A not very deserving 11 win team, but still not far at all. I'm not a Stoops apologist and I do think something needs to change, but I'm not informed nor smart enough to know what changes need to happen. We've got a young secondary and it looks like we may have a halfway decent QB next year, so I'd like to think that a good offseason and maybe a change or two, and we can be in contention for the Big XII next year with TCU and the whining-fighting Fart Briles'.

Am I naive or an optimist? I'm not sure. I'm not willing to write off Stoops just yet. I think his 'contentment' with his job and the state of the program is grossly overstated on here, but we're fans and that's what we do.

bigfatjerk
12/30/2014, 05:14 PM
What's really weird about this season is that we were literally a few points from being an 11 win team. A not very deserving 11 win team, but still not far at all. I'm not a Stoops apologist and I do think something needs to change, but I'm not informed nor smart enough to know what changes need to happen. We've got a young secondary and it looks like we may have a halfway decent QB next year, so I'd like to think that a good offseason and maybe a change or two, and we can be in contention for the Big XII next year with TCU and the whining-fighting Fart Briles'.

Am I naive or an optimist? I'm not sure. I'm not willing to write off Stoops just yet. I think his 'contentment' with his job and the state of the program is grossly overstated on here, but we're fans and that's what we do.

We were also close to losing to Texas and West Virginia. Those game were close into the 4th quarter.

The only thing we can hang our hat on this year is Perine. He looks like a bonefide star. He could be a top 5 type pick in a couple years. The rest of the team looks so discombobulated you don't know what is just bad talent or bad coaching.

kenth68
12/30/2014, 06:20 PM
Bob needs to take some real action or step aside. Mediocrity is no longer an option.

Oh, I don't know about that. Bob made sure to mention last night that when he started, all we had to do was beat Texas, as if he was incredulous that the fanbase had the temerity to complain about an 8-5 season. How dare we.

It sounded like he thought we should be thankful for mediocrity.

SoonerorLater
12/30/2014, 06:59 PM
OK since I have the floor

Let me say this........uh, well, uh.......Bob is a good guy and uh, well, uh......He runs a clean program. Also he is.............er, well, I mean he has, uh...well he beat Alabama last season and he uh, you know, he is, er I mean.....did I mention he runs a clean program and beat Alabama........Oh, oh, oh I know he won the Big 12, sort of, a couple of years ago so that's good right?

Eielson
12/30/2014, 07:12 PM
Oh, I don't know about that. Bob made sure to mention last night that when he started, all we had to do was beat Texas, as if he was incredulous that the fanbase had the temerity to complain about an 8-5 season. How dare we.

It sounded like he thought we should be thankful for mediocrity.

He said just beating Texas wasn't enough for us then, and it's not good enough now. Nothing he said came even close to telling us we should be thankful for mediocrity.

DBrown
12/31/2014, 02:03 AM
Only the mediocre are always at their best.

graphster
12/31/2014, 02:20 AM
What's really weird about this season is that we were literally a few points from being an 11 win team. A not very deserving 11 win team, but still not far at all.

I attribute this more to the Big 12 being down (along with a pretty weak OOC schedule) than anything else. Texas is down. OSU (despite beating us) is pretty far from where they were a few years ago. Texas Tech hasn't been the same since Leach left. Nebraska, Missouri, and A&M all left. If this were 2008, when the Big 12 South had 4 teams in the top 10 at one point (OU, Texas, Texas Tech, and OSU), we would have been blown out Baylor/Clemson style several more times this year. The only loss that really looks OK in retrospect is TCU, and who knows how good they are given their weak schedule and the state of the rest of the conference.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
12/31/2014, 11:04 AM
If I were the AD at OU here is what I would have done, as soon as I heard Harbaugh was leaving the NFL I would have sent him a message asking him if he were interested in the OU job. The answer would have been a resounding no since it was a given he was going to Michigan, BUT, at least it may have given Bob the idea that OU is not beyond looking to someone else to take over. I echo the words of most people here that he as gotten complacent and has lost the fire that made him Big Game Bob. His biggest asset is also his biggest liability, his loyalty. He won't make the changes that need to be made, ie change the the OC because he is loyal to him. Changes need to be made on the defensive side of the ball as well but there is no way on this planet that he is going to fire his brother. I think he will quit before that would happen. As soon as the matchup for the bowl came out it struck he how similar the situation was to Coach Switzers demise at OU. Switzers last game at OU was the Citrus Bowl against Clemson, and we all remember what happened. Also, does anyone remember what Coach Gibbs last game at OU was, a thumping at the hands of BYU in the Copper Bowl. In each case they got fired for allowing the program to sink to a dangerous level. Unfortunately, Coach Stoops has allowed the program to sink to that place. I think 2015 is THE season, another bad year, 8-5, and the change needs to be made. And if it isn't...by God I'll still be screaming my head off on opening day in 2016 like I have been for the last 35 years!!! BOOMER SOONER!!!!

SicEmBaylor
12/31/2014, 11:13 AM
I feel as if we are very close to reaching a consensus here.

Aries
12/31/2014, 11:16 AM
If it is really true that Bob has 4 years left on his contract I think the odds are about 1 in 21 million that he will be fired.

hawaii 5-0
12/31/2014, 11:35 AM
I'd be pretty content with winning ALL of our home games and ALL of the games we're favored to win.

Is that asking too much ?

5-0

ouduckhunter
12/31/2014, 11:47 AM
He said just beating Texas wasn't enough for us then, and it's not good enough now. Nothing he said came even close to telling us we should be thankful for mediocrity.

Bob is just doing what every long term, worthless piece of crap politician does to keep getting re-elected ......repeat the same old crap often enough, and some of your fans/constituents are gonna start to believe that you are doing a great job. If they can convince enough people that they are the only one who can get the job done, they are set for life.

OUmillenium
12/31/2014, 11:48 AM
We were also close to losing to Texas and West Virginia. Those game were close into the 4th quarter.

The only thing we can hang our hat on this year is Perine. He looks like a bonefide star. He could be a top 5 type pick in a couple years. The rest of the team looks so discombobulated you don't know what is just bad talent or bad coaching.

This...sadly

olevetonahill
12/31/2014, 12:02 PM
I'd be pretty content with winning ALL of our home games and ALL of the games we're favored to win.

5-0

Heh
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrSLQyOQNGNxy9lW_PxmQWzc-ghNxvA58MdYNZDAbjLwzpTJE34A

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2014, 12:25 PM

5-0

The problem is that no matter how many flaws OUr team has, we're *alway* favored to win. So you ask the impossible.

pappy
12/31/2014, 08:28 PM
Yeah Bob did great this season in games that OU was favored in...8-5.

Texas Golfer
12/31/2014, 08:43 PM
As soon as the matchup for the bowl came out it struck he how similar the situation was to Coach Switzers demise at OU. Switzers last game at OU was the Citrus Bowl against Clemson, and we all remember what happened. Also, does anyone remember what Coach Gibbs last game at OU was, a thumping at the hands of BYU in the Copper Bowl. In each case they got fired for allowing the program to sink to a dangerous level. Unfortunately, Coach Stoops has allowed the program to sink to that place. I think 2015 is THE season, another bad year, 8-5, and the change needs to be made. And if it isn't...by God I'll still be screaming my head off on opening day in 2016 like I have been for the last 35 years!!! BOOMER SOONER!!!!

Switzer wasn't fired, per se. Like Harbaugh, it was a "mutual" decision. But, with Switzer, it wasn't his record or complacency. It was wrongdoing in the program. Had that not happened, I think he would have remained. His record over his last 4 years was 42-6 (including 3 losses his last year). But the 4 years before that, he went 32-14-2. That was after going 83-9-2. The point I'm making is Switzer had some "lean" years (by OU standards) in the middle. With Gibbs, it was his 44-23 record and going 6-6 his final year. It wasn't because he lost a bowl game. Even if Stoops goes 8-5 again next year, I don't think he'd be fired. Let us not forget that we went 23-33-1 during the 5 years before Stoops' arrival.

SoonerMarkVA
12/31/2014, 09:14 PM

Bottom line. The only difference is B. Stoops has a lot more going for him as a talent evaluater than Mack Brown ever did. If he could tap his fire again, I know he could turn this around. I just wonder if there's enough motivation in the world, competitively, for him to do it.

I'm reminded of a statement from James Hetfield after Metallica went light. Someone asked him why he sold out and gave up on the raw, dark music that made Metallica. He responded, "I'm a millionaire and drive everywhere in a limo. What do I have to be pissed off about?" Hard to argue with that. But it doesn't make for a strong, competitive drive.

hawaii 5-0
12/31/2014, 09:52 PM
The problem is that no matter how many flaws OUr team has, we're *alway* favored to win. So you ask the impossible.

I'd be impressed if we're 'always' favored to win every game next year. Looks like a tough away schedule.

5-0

bluedogok
12/31/2014, 11:25 PM
Don't kid yourself, Switzer was fired by an interim president trying to become the full time school president who went to work for the NCAA after he didn't get the job.

birddog
12/31/2014, 11:43 PM
At Tenn, at kstate, at Baylor, at Boone tech. That tells us that the home slate sucks and I have to go through serious efforts to get to Norman. Akron, Tulsa, tceh, wvu, tcu, and isu compels me to drop my 2 season tix after 16 years, for now, and shell out $120 for the tcu game. I personally saw us lose to kstate, Boone tech, and Baylor. I'm good with being selective until the product on the field improves enough to keep fans from booing.

aero
1/1/2015, 12:34 AM
It was a weird year to say the least. On one hand we could/should have won them all except the Baylor game. On the other hand, it never felt like that. It just seemed like the team kind of sucked on the whole. Not cheap low budget suckage but more of a hollowness. Like going through the motions. But then again, TCU seems like a pretty good team. And Baylor. KSU and Clemson's aren't pushovers. And anything can happen in OU-OSU. But again, we should have lost to a not very good texas team. And just the way we lost to KSU, TCU, OkSt. just reeked of bad play and bad coaching. And then not showing up against Clemson was maybe the worst of all. I'm sick of OU being a joke when it comes to bowls. And when the he!! did that start? The Fiesta against Boise? I don't remember OU being the team singled out as choking in bowls. That's happened on Bob's watch. But it really pisses me off. Win your dang bowl. I really got in a pissy mood after the TCU loss and it never got better for me. And now I'm pessimistic. I have doubts Bob will make the changes needed. I want to see a bad-azz, snot flying, scary defense that craps helmets. I want to see an offense that can function. That has some trick plays. Hell, some plays that work in a vertical fashion. Maybe some plays that would make you think the oc has an idea. Oh well. So much for 2014. Maybe I'll watch some old VHS tapes of some past great Sooner teams. Now THAT was football. A weird season indeed.

Jacie
1/1/2015, 01:02 AM
I'm sick of OU being a joke when it comes to bowls. And when the he!! did that start? The Fiesta against Boise? I don't remember OU being the team singled out as choking in bowls. That's happened on Bob's watch.

Well, I do remember a certain Orange Bowl the Sooners were double digit favorites that did not turn out the way we expected and I am pretty sure that was about what, 1981?

aero
1/1/2015, 04:02 AM
Well, I do remember a certain Orange Bowl the Sooners were double digit favorites that did not turn out the way we expected and I am pretty sure that was about what, 1981?

Maybe 1978? Arkie? I have some commemorative Dr. Pepper bottles I've never opened from that game.

bluedogok
1/1/2015, 01:02 PM

Maybe 1978? Arkie? I have some commemorative Dr. Pepper bottles I've never opened from that game.
1981 was a Sun Bowl win (40-14) over Houston. The 1978 Orange Bowl (1977 season) was a loss to #6 Arkansas 31-6. The 1985 Orange Bowl (84 season) was a disappointing one as well, a 28-17 loss to #4 Washington 28-17 that probably would have vaulted OU over BYU for the national championship.

SoonerStats.com - Bowl Games (http://www.soonerstats.com/football/research/bowls.cfm?BowlID=All#.VKWKAnvT_-U)

Jacie
1/1/2015, 03:50 PM
The point being, Bob Stoops is hardly the first OU coach to see his team underperform in a bowl game.

badger
1/2/2015, 01:53 PM
a·pol·o·gist
əˈpäləjəst/
noun
plural noun: apologists

a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial.
"an enthusiastic apologist for fascism in the 1920s"
synonyms: defender, supporter, upholder, advocate, proponent, exponent, propagandist, champion, campaigner;
informal cheerleader
"one of Eisenhower's better-known apologists"

When I see the first synonym as "defender," what immediately comes to mind is Stoops' zero tolerance for off-field embarrassment. He almost goes too far sometimes in ensuring that the rules of conduct and law are followed.

More and more, I find college athletics to be a money grab for suckers willing to pay and I'm finding less reasons to feed the monster than before. Is it Stoops' fault for not winning enough? No, it's everything and everyone associated.

EatLeadCommie
1/2/2015, 02:24 PM
The point being, Bob Stoops is hardly the first OU coach to see his team underperform in a bowl game.

He is, however, the first to see them consistently underperform and/or get blasted. 21-14 LSU, 55-19 USC, 43-42 BSU, 48-28 WVU, 24-14 UF, 41-13 aTm, 40-6 Clemson

Sure, 3 of those games were national championship games, but we looked flat in all three except for maybe the Florida game. In 4 of those games we were absolutely obliterated by teams we were evenly matched with at least. I think we may have been favored in all the games in which we were creamed. Actually, I think we were favored in all the games I listed. That's a problem, and it's a problem with coaching.

TrophyCollector
1/2/2015, 07:21 PM
This was all caused by Mack Brown. With the void left by butterteeth...

Bob Stoops became the new Mack Brown
Nick Saban became the new "Big Game Bob"
Urban Meyer the new Nick Saban

Unfortunately either Charlie Strong or Butch Jones is the new young Stoops.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2015, 07:36 PM
This was all caused by Mack Brown. With the void left by butterteeth...

Bob Stoops became the new Mack Brown
Nick Saban became the new "Big Game Bob"
Urban Meyer the new Nick Saban

Unfortunately either Charlie Strong or Butch Jones is the new young Stoops.

A new kind of coaching carousel?

cvsooner
1/2/2015, 08:51 PM
More and more, I find college athletics to be a money grab for suckers willing to pay and I'm finding less reasons to feed the monster than before.

Sounds like politics!

cvsooner
1/2/2015, 08:58 PM
He is, however, the first to see them consistently underperform and/or get blasted. 21-14 LSU, 55-19 USC, 43-42 BSU, 48-28 WVU, 24-14 UF, 41-13 aTm, 40-6 Clemson

Sure, 3 of those games were national championship games, but we looked flat in all three except for maybe the Florida game. In 4 of those games we were absolutely obliterated by teams we were evenly matched with at least. I think we may have been favored in all the games in which we were creamed. Actually, I think we were favored in all the games I listed. That's a problem, and it's a problem with coaching.

No, he's not. Tom Osborne's Nebraska teams used to get regularly blasted in bowl games for about ten straight years. We looked flat on the first play of the LSU game but after that not so much. I'll give you USC was a total debacle especially as national championship games go, and WVU and Clemson, who really wanted to win and we didn't care. Boise State, we didn't seem to care until the second half and had that one won, until..well, you know.

First half of the Cotton Bowl wasn't bad, but second half was terrible, against a Heisman Trophy winning QB.

It's not like Barry never had a debacle bowl...except for the 1977 Orange Bowl, or the 1982 Fiesta Bowl, or the '84 and '87 Orange Bowls, or the 1988 Citrus Bowl...don't count those, of course.