PDA

View Full Version : Good news!

ObiKaTony
12/29/2014, 07:51 PM
If this game doesn't fire some coaches, don't know what will...

David Earl
12/29/2014, 08:21 PM
If this game doesn't fire some coaches, don't know what will...

I'm with you on the general idea. We can debate about who should or should not go. But this team is clearly struggling with fundamentals and discipline. Something's got to give.

pappy
12/29/2014, 09:06 PM
who should go...Mike Stoops, Kish, Wright, Heupel. If Bob isn't willing to send those guys packing then he needs to be added to the list.

David Earl
12/29/2014, 09:28 PM
There are so many things that go on behind the scenes, it's hard to know for sure, but here's where I'm at.

Kish needs to go. Our LB's are not very good.

Heupel needs to go. I absolutely hate saying that because I like Josh. I think he can be a good QB coach for a spread offense, but I just don't think he's getting it done as OC.

Wright should not be coaching secondary. If Stoops moved him back to DE's that might be okay. I wonder if Bobby Jack has earned an administrative position? Keep him on for his Texas recruiting connections, but let the man finish his working years in a cushy job.

If we have better LB play I think our D is considerably better. I dunno, maybe Mike Stoops needs another shot at it.

OUmillenium
12/29/2014, 09:43 PM
Yes Dave, LB were absolutely terrible this year. Too much pressure on an already weak secondary to perform.

rock on sooner
12/29/2014, 10:25 PM
There are so many things that go on behind the scenes, it's hard to know for sure, but here's where I'm at.

Heupel needs to go. I absolutely hate saying that because I like Josh. I think he can be a good QB coach for a spread offense, but I just don't think he's getting it done as OC.

Wright should not be coaching secondary. If Stoops moved him back to DE's that might be okay. I wonder if Bobby Jack has earned an administrative position? Keep him on for his Texas recruiting connections, but let the man finish his working years in a cushy job.

If we have better LB play I think our D is considerably better. I dunno, maybe Mike Stoops needs another shot at it.
Welp, imo, just let Striker be Striker. Take Josh away from OC, put him on the field with ALL the qb's, try Norvell up in the box,
B. Stoops needs to get over the loyalty thing...both Stoops' need to revisit the ANGRY defense of years gone by, install that mofo
and not take any prisoners. On the "O" side, more play pass, fake toss to the rb, then toss to the rb's and let 'em run to the holes,
one freakin' read and either throw, toss to the rb or take yer own life with a qb run....almost every play in the 2nd half, the whole
dayum stadium knew what was coming. I'm no guru but I AM a fan and really feel something's gotta change..................

rock on sooner
12/29/2014, 10:26 PM
Sorry for the disjointed post...I got carried away with the long sentences....

EatLeadCommie
12/29/2014, 10:39 PM
Welp, imo, just let Striker be Striker. Take Josh away from OC, put him on the field with ALL the qb's, try Norvell up in the box,
B. Stoops needs to get over the loyalty thing...both Stoops' need to revisit the ANGRY defense of years gone by, install that mofo
and not take any prisoners. On the "O" side, more play pass, fake toss to the rb, then toss to the rb's and let 'em run to the holes,
one freakin' read and either throw, toss to the rb or take yer own life with a qb run....almost every play in the 2nd half, the whole
dayum stadium knew what was coming. I'm no guru but I AM a fan and really feel something's gotta change..................

You can add the first half to that. The only play that I didn't expect was the little shovel pass when we were down either 34-0 or 40-0 in the second half. It only went for about 4-5, but I thought to myself, we are busting out the Quentin Griffin shovel pass now when we are getting our *** kicked? Where was this when the game was still somewhat close? Everybody knows that Josh only calls about 2 plays that result in any gain. Either a handoff or a pass in the flat. Everybody can also see when TK is going to pass in the flat and there is usually about a 75% chance that it will be a lateral. This is astounding to me that he still can't throw it forward at this point. If he is going to throw downfield, bracket Shepard and nobody else will be open because our receivers are awful. If they're open, there is a good chance TK won't see them or won't hit them with his throws.

Honestly, apart from the tackling issues in the secondary, it's tough to beat up Mike tonight when the offense is going 3 and out every time it gets the ball. It was another loss where TK gave the opposing team points and put the D in a bad position. Granted, Clemson went pretty vanilla about halfway through the 3rd quarter.

hawaii 5-0
12/29/2014, 10:59 PM
I loved the play late in the game when Knight threw the quick out to Perine coming out of the backfield. 1 on 1 with the man covering him in the open field.

Good for 12 yards or so. Sadly Josh went right back to it after they adjusted to it. No gain.

5-0

EatLeadCommie
12/29/2014, 11:08 PM
^^ That was also the best pass TK made all night by far, and I said so as I watched the play unfold.

EatLeadCommie
12/29/2014, 11:14 PM
Oh, and I should add that the good news tonight was we didn't waste any timeouts.

Soonerjeepman
12/29/2014, 11:22 PM
it's over?

Therealsouthsider
12/29/2014, 11:51 PM
....not a very 'high IQ' football team, I want to blame the coaches but the mistakes on the field are breathtaking and that's on the players

ss

GDC
12/29/2014, 11:59 PM
....not a very 'high IQ' football team, I want to blame the coaches but the mistakes on the field are breathtaking and that's on the players

ss

Confusion leads to mistakes. When that confusion originates on the sideline, it leads to hesitation and mistakes on the field. Efficient coaching (not just yelling and screaming) leads to efficient players on the field. I'd be perfectly happy to never see the antics of Mike Stoops on the OU sidelines again. I wouldn't miss Josh either.

8timechamps
12/30/2014, 12:12 AM

Kish should be the first one on the chopping block. Not only has LB recruiting struggled, the two inside backers are very average.

I'm still not sold on getting rid of Heupel, but today's game plan was horrid. I'm starting to see what folks have seen all year...he's a predictable play caller.

Wright needs to move into an administrative role. Keep him around the players, other coaches, because he likes that stuff. He's still got some upside in recruiting, but he's not "the" man anymore in that department, and needs to take a desk job.

Mike is floundering big time. The defense has regressed since his arrival. I know he was dealing with a lot of youth in the secondary this year, but if he can't figure out how to operate the 3-4 effectively, he needs to bring in someone that can. If he doesn't want to do that, then Bob needs to make the hard call...or better yet, Mike needs to realize that he's not getting it done and make it easy on Bob by stepping down.

Norvell should be on a short leash. This year's WR corps was as bad as we've ever had since Stoops arrived. I understand that young guys (Quick, Mead & Young) are going to struggle at times, but having two juniors should have made that less of an issue. Shep couldn't help his injury, but Neal (and I hate to say this, because I really like the kid) just isn't very good at separation.

Montgomery and Bedenbaugh have both been exceptional hires, so they shouldn't worry about anything other than next season.

I'm not sure about Boulware. Our special teams looked solid to start the year, but it also regressed. He needs to understand another year like that and he's gone.

It's time for a major shake-up.

hawaii 5-0
12/30/2014, 12:18 AM

ss

True about the interceptions and fumbles.

I think a good coach and teach basic tackling and how not to play soft coverage.

5-0