PDA

View Full Version : Sooners Mourn the Passing of Mike Treps

Jay C. Upchurch
12/23/2014, 10:27 PM
NORMAN -- The University of Oklahoma was saddened to learn of the passing of Mike Treps, who passed away in Norman at the age of 81. Treps served his alma mater in a number of capacities in a career that spanned over three decades as both a broadcaster and as a publicist.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=209820895

olevetonahill
12/23/2014, 10:42 PM
So sad He was a Great Sooner

lexsooner
12/24/2014, 12:06 AM
OU vs. Missouri, 1975, at Columbia. OU was down by one touchdown with only a few minutes left. If we had lost, our national titles hopes would be over. Davis pitched the ball to Little Joe Washington. I remember to this day listening on my small transistor radio and Mike Treps screaming "Go, Joe, Go!" when Washington broke free and went 71 yards for the td. He also scored on the two point conversion and we pulled it out. Of course OU went on to win the national title that year. I will always remember Treps' nervous exclamation urging Joe on. He was our voice during the Golden Years of the King when Sooner Magic really happened. RIP Mike Treps.

olevetonahill
12/24/2014, 09:24 AM
Here ya go Lex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbirSv4kgNA&feature=youtu.be

rock on sooner
12/24/2014, 10:52 AM
Properly executed, the 'Bone was unstoppable......Jiminy Christmas! RIP, Mike.

ouduckhunter
12/24/2014, 11:13 AM
He was a legend. Mike, and his family are in my prayers.

FaninAma
12/24/2014, 11:14 AM
Sorry to hear that. Heart felt condolences and a reverant "Boomer Sooner" sent Mike's way.

lexsooner
12/24/2014, 05:55 PM
Here ya go Lex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbirSv4kgNA&feature=youtu.be

Thanks, Vet. I remember the "Go, Joe" and then all this screaming, as the video showed. I had this little green hand held radio which was my source of most away games and I was in the backyard trying to figure out what had just happened because the reception was not great. Treps will always be my favorite OU announcer.

olevetonahill
12/24/2014, 06:27 PM
Thanks, Vet. I remember the "Go, Joe" and then all this screaming, as the video showed. I had this little green hand held radio which was my source of most away games and I was in the backyard trying to figure out what had just happened because the reception was not great. Treps will always be my favorite OU announcer.
Yup. When I came home in early 70 i was as wild as a peach orchard boar. spent a lot of time with a Back pack and sleeping bag wondering the country. Him and John Brooks gave me something to hang onto

swardboy
12/24/2014, 08:38 PM

I was at that game. Kenny Downing, MU cornerback who I played against in high school, had shut down lil' Joe all day on the option. Downing went out that one play with some kind of leg ding, and the rest is history. I think Downing spent a year or two with the New Orleans Saints.

OUmillenium
12/27/2014, 11:11 AM
I also remember Treps from the LNC and Sooner Basketball. Really saddened by his passing. I'm getting old. Loved me some 80s Sooner Football/Basketball.

OUmillenium
12/27/2014, 11:12 AM
I also remember Treps from the LNC and Sooner Basketball. Really saddened by his passing. I'm getting old. Loved me some 80s Sooner Football/Basketball/Baseball.

stoopified
12/29/2014, 10:26 AM
RIP Mike