PDA

View Full Version : Mike Stoops defends record by citing Sugar Bowl win; Big 12 co-champs two years ago

badger
12/22/2014, 09:37 AM
I didn't see this posted, but you must read this:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/john-e-hoover-mike-stoops-finally-gets-defensive/article_5a792d7c-9713-5d5e-99b5-caf142144b56.html

Lowlights (Mike Stoops quotes in bold):

there was a presumption that you’re gonna bring back that old edge to the defense. Has that happened?

A: Well, listen, we just came off a Sugar Bowl win. What do you want me to say? We just beat Alabama. So that isn’t good enough for them? Or you?

A: So last year we were No. 1 (in the Big 12) in pass defense.

And this year you’re No. 10 (in the Big 12), I think?

A: Or No. 9, whatever, I don’t know. So, it’s finding balance.

And you have a lot of the same players?

A: No. We lost what would have been a No. 1 draft pick in Aaron Colvin, had he not hurt his knee.

But you knew Colvin was graduating.

A: That’s what I’m saying. What’s changed? The two guys we lost were in the secondary. We lost two seniors. We lost Gabe Lynn, who played for us for four or five years, and same with Aaron Colvin. Those are the two guys we missed. So, again, you know, they’re talented and we miss those guys. And you’re replacing them with freshmen.

When Bill Blankenship brought in his son to be the quarterbacks coach at Tulsa, everybody asked, “Why in the world would you do that?” A lot of people are asking the same about Bob bringing back his brother.

A: Well, we played pretty well last year. Sugar Bowl’s not good enough? Beating Alabama?

Yes, but the team did not win a Big 12 championship.

A: Well, I mean, we missed by one game. What are you gonna do? We tied the year before. That’s not good enough? If that ain’t good enough, that ain’t good enough. I can’t — that’s hurtful. If co-champs and losing by a game a year ago and beating (Alabama in) the Sugar Bowl isn’t good enough and tying what Baylor did — you know what I mean? — if that’s not good enough, then I’m sorry. You know what I mean? I work hard and try hard to do my best. I can’t please everybody.

TLDR version: We beat Bama in a bowl last year. We co-won the Big 12 two years ago. Talk about how awesome we are at rush defense; please don't bring up where we rank on passing defense.

I hope this isn't want he tells potential recruits.

dwarthog
12/22/2014, 09:49 AM
I read this in the World yesterday. Definitely a lot of looking back to previous accomplishments in his replies.

Hopefully more "seasoning" on this young secondary is a key element to get some type of pass coverage in place for next year or the fans will be all over social media once again calling for Mike's head and referencing now further distant accomplishments will be even more lame.

Pride1Mom
12/22/2014, 09:58 AM
No one cares about last year. It was what happened this year. I saw no "fire in the belly" from this year's defense. Bowl game will be interesting, and I suspect the Clemson's defense will out shine OU's.

Sooner91ATL
12/22/2014, 09:59 AM
I am not a fan of reporters, but when they do their job and ask tough questions and don't accept non-answers, some truth begins to out. In this case, holding some feet to the fire is working. Mike can't even form coherent sentences. Why? Because he can't answer honestly.

Let me translate the answers as I see them.

1. I thought I was going to bring back the edge to the defense too. I am not getting the job done.
2. We lost talent that has not been replaced. Those guys we lost were pretty good, but still had issues. The guys we have now really aren't getting the job done.
3. We do not develop depth at the University of Oklahoma. When the starter goes down, we are stuck with freshmen and walk ons.
4. We played pretty good last year (if you look at the last 4 games). I don't know WTF is wrong but this year should be discounted because I have many excuses.
5. The reason I can't please everybody (i.e., have a top 25 defense) is that recruiting has been bad as evidenced by play on the field, retention has been bad, player development has been bad, and my scheme obviously cannot stop good passing teams for whatever reason - personnel most likely but I can't shame my players or my head coach. I don't know what to do so I will hope I can keep cashing checks and do the best I can.

badger
12/22/2014, 10:11 AM
Our fellow Sooners at Land Thieves have a six-pager on this already if you want to see more fan angst:
http://www.landthieves.com/board/showthread.php?84553-Mike-Stoops-tells-the-fans-to-get-their-facts-straight

I hope they don't mind if I borrow a few of their thread's images to illustrate what went wrong in our worst defensive performance of the year, which I will henceforth call "The Bailure:"

http://i.imgur.com/B57f1Yw.png
https://i.imgur.com/A0ZwISk.jpg
The two definitely go together. Sorry to relive the nightmare, but the coaches were instructing corners to play about 10 yards off the receivers, resulting in endless completed passes to Baylor WRs. Let me add one of my own to the mix:
http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2440664/stoopsyellin.0.gif
Julian Wilson finally got fed up with participating in the pillow softie cushion defense and tried to go for the ball instead and got into a shouting match with Coaches Stoops on the sideline after... and was subsequently benched. Well, Julian, at least you tried. I supported your efforts then and still do.

olevetonahill
12/22/2014, 10:22 AM
That hurt my head trying to read it.

BoulderSooner79
12/22/2014, 11:57 AM
The only thing good to come from that interview was seeing how mad it made people on LT. They do get riled over there.

Therealsouthsider
12/22/2014, 12:13 PM
....we used to do some stuff but not now but remember that one time, and then there was that other time, why do you want to talk about now and take away from then?

....good lord

ss

BoulderSooner79
12/22/2014, 12:23 PM
....we used to do some stuff but not now but remember that one time, and then there was that other time, why do you want to talk about now and take away from then?

....good lord

ss

It is the appropriate season for auld lang syne.

rock on sooner
12/22/2014, 12:24 PM
Having read the interview transcript, I think Mike was trying to Youngstown'ish
a la Pelini, but cleaner...that's why all the hem hawing....:-)

OkieThunderLion
12/22/2014, 02:06 PM
Mike has had a rough go of it lately but it seems like there is something personal going on.

From my perspective it seems like Hoover is really trying to kick him while he's down. Am I missing a backstory?

OkieThunderLion
12/22/2014, 02:09 PM
Our fellow Sooners at Land Thieves have a six-pager on this already if you want to see more fan angst:
http://www.landthieves.com/board/showthread.php?84553-Mike-Stoops-tells-the-fans-to-get-their-facts-straight

I hope they don't mind if I borrow a few of their thread's images to illustrate what went wrong in our worst defensive performance of the year, which I will henceforth call "The Bailure:"

http://i.imgur.com/B57f1Yw.png
https://i.imgur.com/A0ZwISk.jpg
The two definitely go together. Sorry to relive the nightmare, but the coaches were instructing corners to play about 10 yards off the receivers, resulting in endless completed passes to Baylor WRs. Let me add one of my own to the mix:
http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2440664/stoopsyellin.0.gif
Julian Wilson finally got fed up with participating in the pillow softie cushion defense and tried to go for the ball instead and got into a shouting match with Coaches Stoops on the sideline after... and was subsequently benched. Well, Julian, at least you tried. I supported your efforts then and still do.
That makes for good message board fodder but that isn't what really happened.

Wilson was getting chewed out for blowing an assignment.

OkieThunderLion
12/22/2014, 02:12 PM
Julian constantly preferred to play as far off receivers as possible. He was always scared of being burnt deep. You'd see Sanchez on the opposite side usually 2-3 yards closer to the LOS.

Moving him to corner was a failed experiment, to which I'd blame Mike.

badger
12/22/2014, 03:26 PM
that isn't what really happened
Eyes of the beholder, I guess. I'm not saying you're wrong or Mike Stoops is wrong, I'm just saying I disagree

Soonerjeepman
12/22/2014, 03:32 PM
The one quote that got me...

basically we have freshman replacing 2 draft-able Sr's from last year in Colvin and Lynn

Why? hmmm, we only recruit every 4 years? WHY would you, when you KNOW you have 2 guys who have played 3 years graduating the next year, not find replacements? I know kids don't work out but Mike's response seems like a horrible answer...it's like they didn't know that was coming and didn't recruit anyone.

Wishboned
12/22/2014, 07:33 PM
if that’s not good enough, then I’m sorry. You know what I mean? I work hard and try hard to do my best.

Caution explicit language

VpzvF7uiDZI

When did Mike turn into such a *****? We hurt his feelings. Isn't tying for a championship and coming one game away good enough? We're just hurtful.

pappy
12/22/2014, 08:26 PM
To answer Mike's question...No, being a "Conference Co-Champion" isn't good enough. I remember after we were "Co-champs" we went to the cotton bowl and played Johnny Football and in the intro video a player (I think Ikard) said "Proud to be big 12 co-champion" Right after I heard that I looked over at a couple people at my house watching the game with me and said "We lost." That quote "Proud to be big 12 co-champion" is sad.

If Mike thinks that's acceptable then he needs to hit the road.

ObiKaTony
12/22/2014, 09:11 PM
To answer Mike's question...No, being a "Conference Co-Champion" isn't good enough. I remember after we were "Co-champs" we went to the cotton bowl and played Johnny Football and in the intro video a player (I think Ikard) said "Proud to be big 12 co-champion" Right after I heard that I looked over at a couple people at my house watching the game with me and said "We lost." That quote "Proud to be big 12 co-champion" is sad.

If Mike thinks that's acceptable then he needs to hit the road.

I've defended Mike since the beginning, but this co champ crap is exactly that, crap. So bama should be satisfied to be co sec West champs? This is insane and a coaching staff that can't wait for this season to be over. I'll be shocked if some coaches aren't let go...

GDC
12/22/2014, 11:08 PM
It's very disheartening to hear Stoops basically admit that after 3 years he still can't put it all together. I hope they can turn it around next year, but I'm going to have to see it to believe it.

Blue
12/22/2014, 11:12 PM
Bottom Line _______________ Our Defense sucks and has done so for the better part of a decade.

Fix it or GTFO!!!

BoulderSooner79
12/23/2014, 12:34 AM
To answer Mike's question...No, being a "Conference Co-Champion" isn't good enough...

The team needs to improve to get to Conference Co-Champions.

pappy
12/23/2014, 01:04 AM
The team needs to improve to get to Conference Co-Champions.

"Co-champion" is not something to be proud of. No being co-champions of the big 12 conference would not make me happy. I don't think we should even claim "co-championships" That's something Oklahoma State would do.

Higher standards at Oklahoma.

EatLeadCommie
12/23/2014, 01:21 AM
Co-championships are only acceptable to claim if it's a situation like Baylor and TCU this year and you are Baylor. It is not acceptable to claim them when you get your *** handed to you by the team you are supposedly co-champs with.

BoulderSooner79
12/23/2014, 05:45 AM
"Co-champion" is not something to be proud of. No being co-champions of the big 12 conference would not make me happy. I don't think we should even claim "co-championships" That's something Oklahoma State would do.

Higher standards at Oklahoma.

My remark was sarcasm - but also fact. The team needs to climb up to co-champs so you can be less "not proud" than you are now. When was the last time OU was declared champs w/o the "co"? Even in '08 and '10, OU had to have an edge in a south division tie breaker against a team that beat them in order to get to the CCG. Thank goodness for the 3-way tie. The last time OU was undisputed winner in the division and then conference was '07. So without a CCG, 7 full seasons would have past since the last outright title. Now with no CCG, you may be "not proud" for quite some time.

EatLeadCommie
12/23/2014, 09:46 AM
Mike's defensiveness is pretty standard Stoops speak, but it makes me wonder if they aren't all going to circle the wagons and we will have no changes made after the bowl game

badger
12/23/2014, 09:58 AM
As long as we're on the co-champ discussion, these were the final standings of 2012:

#12 Kansas State 8 – 1 11 – 2
#15 Oklahoma 8 – 1 10 – 3
#19 Texas 5 – 4 9 – 4
Oklahoma State 5 – 4 8 – 5
Baylor 4 – 5 8 – 5
TCU 4 – 5 7 – 6
Texas Tech 4 – 5 8 – 5
West Virginia 4 – 5 7 – 6
Iowa State 3 – 6 6 – 7
Kansas 0 – 9 1 – 11

We only had an identical conference record with KSU (who beat us at home), but our overall record was worse because we also lost to Notre Dame at home. I remember seeing a Big 12 championship t-shirt rack at Walmart and laughing after that... they actually made t-shirts????

They might have made us a trophy and Walmart might have sold t-shirts, but we really had no claim to share the Big 12 championship with Kansas State that year. They won the head to head and it was in Norman, for cryin' out loud... AND they had a better overall record, too!

But hey, that's also the last season we actually beat Baylor *groan*

cherokeebrewer
12/23/2014, 10:06 AM
This is kinda sad really...

blacktop
12/24/2014, 10:16 PM
Just saw this. http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/94254/meeting-with-venables-underscores-just-how-far-oklahomas-defense-hasnt-come

pappy
12/25/2014, 02:28 AM
I am not confidant that Bob will ever win the Big 12 out right again. Art has his number and Patterson finally has an offensive coach to go with his defense. Bob needs to get rid of Mike and the majority of the coaches on the defensive side of the ball and that might not be enough.

Charlie Strong is going to have Texas in contention again, which I really hate saying. I don't know how much longer Snyder will coach, but as long as he is at K-State they have a shot to beat us.

SoCalBigRed
12/28/2014, 02:02 AM
Wow... I used to admire the fire in those brothers.

Mike can take a flying leap, elsewhere.

cherokeebrewer
12/28/2014, 09:05 AM
"I will not shy away from the expectations that are here in Oklahoma. In fact, we'll embrace them. There should be great expectations here." - Bob Stoops 1999

"If co-champs and losing by a game a year ago and beating (Alabama in) the Sugar Bowl isn’t good enough and tying what Baylor did — you know what I mean? — if that’s not good enough, then I’m sorry." - Mike Stoops 2014

Mookie91
12/28/2014, 12:38 PM
I'd expect no less. Although I'm not anti-Stoops but they always bring up past success when faced with recent failure. That being said Julian Wilson couldn't defend Jimmy from South Park Elementary and Eric Striker maybe one of the most overrated LBs in Sooner history.

NorthernIowaSooner
12/28/2014, 12:56 PM
How do you get better from there?

A: Gotta get better. Schematically, personnel, improve in a lot of areas. But there’s only so much you can — you know what I mean? — player-wise, you can do. You’ve got to improve your players. You’ve got to improve your situation.

There's only so much you can do? You're the one responsible for the defense. I assume he identifies the recruiting targets at DB and so he's responsible for the personnel. It's his scheme. Sounds like there is only one area to improve in - Defensive Coordinator.

That was a pretty sorry interview for Mike and kind of embarrassing to read.

WA. Sooner
12/29/2014, 02:25 AM
That interview alone is reason to get another coordinator

pappy
12/29/2014, 05:20 PM
I'd expect no less. Although I'm not anti-Stoops but they always bring up past success when faced with recent failure. That being said Julian Wilson couldn't defend Jimmy from South Park Elementary and Eric Striker maybe one of the most overrated LBs in Sooner history.

Striker spent way too much time in coverage when he is one of the best pass rushers in college football. That's a coaching mistake. ... Julian Wilson should have been playing safety instead of corner, which is also a coaching mistake. Also, if you have a guy who is consistently getting beat, then you don't keep putting him out there. I don't care what happens in practice with those younger guys who aren't "proven" put them in the game and see what happens cause clearly the upperclassmen with experience wasn't getting it done. This is also a coaching mistake.

SoonerMarkVA
12/29/2014, 07:11 PM
Guess Mike'll still have to keep talkin' about that Sugar bowl. Going to be like Al Bundy and his 4-TD game in HS before long.

pappy
12/29/2014, 09:10 PM
Guess Mike'll still have to keep talkin' about that Sugar bowl. Going to be like Al Bundy and his 4-TD game in HS before long.

this is great. lol

ouduckhunter
12/29/2014, 09:16 PM

We should recruit at Polk High.

kenth68
12/29/2014, 09:24 PM
Look... I know I'm old and can't run, not very strong and kind of fat. But I was in pretty good shape 25 years ago. If that's not good enough now, that's your problem.

kenth68
12/29/2014, 09:44 PM
Hah... from the espn/twitter feeds:

johnehoover John E. Hoover
When I asked Stoops abt all the bowl blowout Ls, he said I should also bring up the bowl Ws. Including -- you guessed it -- Bama.#Sooners
14 minutes ago

Jake_Trotter Jake Trotter
Did Stoops really bring up the Bama game tonight?

SoonerMarkVA
12/29/2014, 09:53 PM
I think it's time to dust it off.

What's Bob & Mike's answer to anything?

A noun, a verb, and "the sugar bowl".

pappy
12/29/2014, 09:57 PM
Hah... from the espn/twitter feeds:

johnehoover John E. Hoover
When I asked Stoops abt all the bowl blowout Ls, he said I should also bring up the bowl Ws. Including -- you guessed it -- Bama.#Sooners
14 minutes ago

Jake_Trotter Jake Trotter
Did Stoops really bring up the Bama game tonight?

Since Stoops will be here losing for another 10-15 years we'll still be hearing about the Alabama game...

Fast Forward: Year 2020 Reporter "Stoops can you talk to me about yet another double digit loss in the Holiday bowl?"

Stoops "We aren't hear to talk about the game we just played. Remember in January 2014 when beat Alabama? How about we talk about that!"

Sooner8th
12/29/2014, 10:05 PM
Hah... from the espn/twitter feeds: johnehoover John E. Hoover When I asked Stoops abt all the bowl blowout Ls, he said I should also bring up the bowl Ws. Including -- you guessed it -- Bama.#Sooners 14 minutes ago Jake_Trotter Jake Trotter Did Stoops really bring up the Bama game tonight?How can someone be that tone deaf?

pappy
12/29/2014, 10:07 PM
Reporter "Stoops, Alabama was last year lets talk about this season's bowl loss."

Stoops "Remember when we beat that "great" Uconn team in the Fiesta Bowl."

soonergirlNeugene
12/29/2014, 10:08 PM
I think it's time to dust it off.

What's Bob & Mike's answer to anything?

A noun, a verb, and "the sugar bowl".

Challenge accepted!
Using http://www.wordgenerator.net/noun-generator.php and taking the first noun & verb that came up, this is the best I could come up with:

When pressed for a response after tonight's 40-6 performance against Clemson, Oklahoma Head Coach Bob Stoops said "When you think about it, we are 1 and 1 in bowl games for 2014. At worst you could call that a wash As tough as this loss is, you have to consider the victory we recorded in the Sugar Bowl when considering our performances in 2014."

SoonerMarkVA
12/29/2014, 10:11 PM
Sooners won SUGAR BOWL.
You forgot SUGAR BOWL.
Stoops owns SUGAR BOWL.

soonergirlNeugene
12/29/2014, 10:14 PM
All kidding aside, it does kinda remind me about some of the stuff Mack Brown was saying about how he just got "stuck and couldn't move on" after Texas lost their last national championship appearance.