PDA

View Full Version : Two new recruits (DeBerry/Haughton): Who else was interested?

8timechamps
12/19/2014, 04:45 PM
Today's pick-up of Ricky DeBerry Jr. and Kahlil Haughton was huge for OU. Both are excellent players, but it's really great that both are defensive players. DeBerry will join the team in a much needed position at linebacker, and Haughton (considered one of the best safeties in Texas) will join another stud (Sunderland) in a secondary that needs playmakers. I know a lot of folks get caught up in the ratings, and these two guys should satisfy those folks (DeBerry is a 5 star recruit, and Haughton a 4 star). What is also impressive is who OU beat for these two young men:

Player
Offers (not including OU)

Kahlil Haughton
Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Duke, Indiana, Kansas State, Louisville, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Oregon State, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, TCU, Texas Tech, Washington State

Ricky DeBerry
Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Boston College, Cincinnati, Clemson, Duke, East Carolina, Florida, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas State, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Marshall, Maryland, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina State, North Carolina, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Penn State, Purdue, San Diego State, South Carolina, South Florida, Syracuse, TCU, Temple, Tennessee, Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin

We definitely picked up two very good players.

Breadburner
12/19/2014, 05:12 PM
We Suck....They will not have an impact......!!!!....

8timechamps
12/19/2014, 05:18 PM
We Suck....They will not have an impact......!!!!....

I know...no North Texas or UTSA in there. We've really fallen off.

Breadburner
12/19/2014, 05:19 PM
Heh....!!!

cvsooner
12/19/2014, 05:33 PM
Please let them develop!

badger
12/19/2014, 05:34 PM
you know who's had a bad day today?

:rcmad:

Texas A&M has had two C-minus seasons in a row. They might have had Johnny Heisman and Cotton Bowl win momentum a few years ago, but it's fading... or maybe the boosters gave their money to the university instead of directly to the players mistakenly ;)

BoulderSooner79
12/19/2014, 05:43 PM
So the way I read this is that we had to steal Haughton away from SMU and DeBerry away from Marshall. Big whoops.

KantoSooner
12/19/2014, 05:49 PM
That's it precisely.

SoonerorLater
12/19/2014, 05:57 PM
Naturally I'm pleased. I just assumed that we would stick with our preferred LB recruiting method and find some under appreciated DB and try to put about 40 lbs on him.

Curly Bill
12/19/2014, 06:03 PM
Despite some gripes on the recruiting front, all-in-all we still get lots of very good players.

I'd argue that getting them is not the problem, it's what we do with them that is the problem.

ObiKaTony
12/19/2014, 08:47 PM
Despite some gripes on the recruiting front, all-in-all we still get lots of very good players.

I'd argue that getting them is not the problem, it's what we do with them that is the problem.

I don't know, it's been quite some time since we have landed some talent on the d-line and lb position. This year helps alleviate this problem...

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 09:01 PM
Who cares? I don't care about the delivery, show me the baby.

And even if I could care, who really is confident now that the coaching staff will develop these players?

AzianSooner
12/19/2014, 09:23 PM
My eyes might foul me but I don't see Texas in the offer lists of both players. I think if Texas offer, OU would have tough time to compete.

The proof is today texass' commitments list today.

ObiKaTony
12/20/2014, 03:15 PM
My eyes might foul me but I don't see Texas in the offer lists of both players. I think if Texas offer, OU would have tough time to compete.

Ou has a better overall list...

OkieThunderLion
12/20/2014, 08:24 PM

Texas would give a scholly to DeBerry in a New York minute. His dad was an OU fan and Texas had no chance from the get go.

Texas has always, and will always, beat OU for "most" of their instate kids. OU has won despite that.

8timechamps
12/20/2014, 08:30 PM

Texas didn't offer DeBerry because they knew they had no shot.

I don't gauge OU's recruiting by what Texas does. They've been ahead of OU for years, and it doesn't seem to matter much. Texas also showed a lot of interest in Haughton, and when he originally announced he was staying in Waco, Texas backed off.

There's a ton of talent in the state of Texas, and Texas isn't going to offer every kid in the state (regardless of what the recruiting services rate them). Baylor is more impressive right now, than Texas, when it comes to offers.

ObiKaTony
12/20/2014, 08:34 PM
Texas didn't offer DeBerry because they knew they had no shot.

I don't gauge OU's recruiting by what Texas does. They've been ahead of OU for years, and it doesn't seem to matter much. Texas also showed a lot of interest in Haughton, and when he originally announced he was staying in Waco, Texas backed off.

There's a ton of talent in the state of Texas, and Texas isn't going to offer every kid in the state (regardless of what the recruiting services rate them). Baylor is more impressive right now, than Texas, when it comes to offers.

^^^yes

Sooner8th
12/21/2014, 03:58 PM
Today's pick-up of Ricky DeBerry Jr. and Kahlil Haughton was huge for OU. Both are excellent players, but it's really great that both are defensive players. DeBerry will join the team in a much needed position at linebacker, and Haughton (considered one of the best safeties in Texas) will join another stud (Sunderland) in a secondary that needs playmakers. I know a lot of folks get caught up in the ratings, and these two guys should satisfy those folks (DeBerry is a 5 star recruit, and Haughton a 4 star). What is also impressive is who OU beat for these two young men:PlayerOffers (not including OU)Kahlil HaughtonArizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Duke, Indiana, Kansas State, Louisville, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Oregon State, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, TCU, Texas Tech, Washington StateRicky DeBerryAlabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Boston College, Cincinnati, Clemson, Duke, East Carolina, Florida, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas State, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Marshall, Maryland, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina State, North Carolina, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Penn State, Purdue, San Diego State, South Carolina, South Florida, Syracuse, TCU, Temple, Tennessee, Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Washington, West Virginia, WisconsinWe definitely picked up two very good players.How we signed these two guys after the pathetic display on the first drive to open the second half against baylor with our coaches yelling at the wilson on national tv is beyond me.

BoulderSooner79
12/21/2014, 05:00 PM
How we signed these two guys after the pathetic display on the first drive to open the second half against baylor with our coaches yelling at the wilson on national tv is beyond me.

Could it be that these recruits don't teeter on the edge between despair and ecstasy on every drive of the game like fans do?

ObiKaTony
12/21/2014, 05:10 PM
Could it be that these recruits don't teeter on the edge between despair and ecstasy on every drive of the game like fans do?

I'm surprised too...however, I think our linebackers getting abused on every play in the middle, left, and right was a factor. We have no speed, power, or instinct at that position putting more pressure on the DBS to cover everywhere...

Sooner8th
12/21/2014, 05:24 PM
Could it be that these recruits don't teeter on the edge between despair and ecstasy on every drive of the game like fans do?I don't know about you but I don't teeter on the edge between despair and ecstasy on every drive of the game. I see trends like being 110th or whatever we ended being in pass defense then hanging our corner out to dry then screaming at him while baylor completed 6 or 7 straight 7 yard hitches in front of him. No timeout to talk things over. No adjustment to how he was covering. Just the same hardheaded doing the same thing over and over and watching it fail miserably with each snap.

BoulderSooner79
12/21/2014, 05:57 PM
I don't know about you but I don't teeter on the edge between despair and ecstasy on every drive of the game. I see trends like being 110th or whatever we ended being in pass defense then hanging our corner out to dry then screaming at him while baylor completed 6 or 7 straight 7 yard hitches in front of him. No timeout to talk things over. No adjustment to how he was covering. Just the same hardheaded doing the same thing over and over and watching it fail miserably with each snap.

And these players may have made their choice based on how the coaches treated their parents or the color of the alternate uniforms. Recruiting is a long process and all programs have their warts - you just see OU's.

bluedogok
12/21/2014, 06:09 PM
Maybe they see opportunity to play and start instead of being buried on the bench for years.

8timechamps
12/21/2014, 07:30 PM
Maybe they see opportunity to play and start instead of being buried on the bench for years.

BINGO

Recruits don't put much stock into losses. Nowhere near the same level fans do. If anything, the loss may be seen as a positive ("I can come in any help immediately"), and in the case of DeBerry, he's right.

I'll also add that big time recruits don't go to places they think are on the decline. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes that none of us know about, and a lot of that information is passed on to the recruits that are worth it, and seriously considering a commitment. In other words, the sky isn't falling.