PDA

View Full Version : Nearly two weeks later...

Snrinhouston
12/18/2014, 08:04 PM
…the decision to re-kick to Hill is just as infuriating. I thought the perspective might change with time. But it still seems like gross negligence.

8timechamps
12/18/2014, 08:12 PM
It was a bad decision. Time to move on...

cvsooner
12/18/2014, 08:32 PM
You know, in hindsight it wasn't a bad decision. All Barnett has to do is kick it anywhere but to the guy. I mean, Kansas had OSewe on the ropes and then kicked off to the same guy.

If Barnett had just kicked it elsewhere. I mean, the one thing that absolutely could not go wrong on that play, and that's what it was. Seems almost like fate, I guess.

The safe decision would have been to not re-kick, but...it could also have been a smart move.

Snrinhouston
12/18/2014, 09:32 PM
You know, in hindsight it wasn't a bad decision. All Barnett has to do is kick it anywhere but to the guy. I mean, Kansas had OSewe on the ropes and then kicked off to the same guy.

If Barnett had just kicked it elsewhere. I mean, the one thing that absolutely could not go wrong on that play, and that's what it was. Seems almost like fate, I guess.

The safe decision would have been to not re-kick, but...it could also have been a smart move.

No way! Makes no sense on any basic risk/reward analysis. If you don't rekick, there is absolutely ZERO risk of a return AND you have OSU facing the unenviable task of going 85 yards in one minute with no timeouts. WHY MESS WITH THAT HAND? Makes as much sense as going for four of a kind when dealt three aces and two kings .

Snrinhouston
12/18/2014, 09:39 PM
It was a bad decision. Time to move on...

Yes, but doesn't it make you wonder about Stoops? It seems like such poor judgment on the fundamentals from someone you'd expect to have mastered that in order to be the head coach at a heritage program.

Harris County Sooner
12/18/2014, 09:40 PM
It was an absolutely stupid move to re-do the kick. The pokes having the ball 85 yards away with a minute left was one of the better possible outcomes on the play. There were too many things that could go wrong with a re-kick: bad snap, fumbled snap, shank kick, block, long return (well that is what happened).

Snrinhouston
12/18/2014, 09:45 PM
It was an absolutely stupid move to re-do the kick. The pokes having the ball 85 yards away with a minute left was one of the better possible outcomes on the play. There were too many things that could go wrong with a re-kick: bad snap, fumbled snap, shank kick, block, long return (well that is what happened).

Agree. And it doesn't seem like it was garden-variety stupid, but mind-blowingly stupid. It makes me wonder if he's still got the chops to be head coach at a traditional power.

BoulderSooner79
12/18/2014, 09:54 PM
…the decision to re-kick to Hill is just as infuriating. I thought the perspective might change with time. But it still seems like gross negligence.

It was the perfect ending to this season. Just re-watch it while playing (or imagining) the soundtrack from a Three Stooges movie and you'll get a good laugh. It worked for me.

Snrinhouston
12/18/2014, 09:59 PM
It was the perfect ending to this season. Just re-watch it while playing (or imagining) the soundtrack from a Three Stooges movie and you'll get a good laugh. It worked for me.

It certainly appeared like the Three Stooges were in charge of clock management all season.

BoulderSooner79
12/18/2014, 10:07 PM
It certainly appeared like the Three Stooges were in charge of clock management all season.

Which is why it was a fitting ending to the season - and I'm not even joking. I did laugh when it happened.

olevetonahill
12/18/2014, 10:16 PM
http://www.olevetpossehideout.com/forums/images/smilies/Picard_Facepalm_by_LuckyHRE.gif

http://www.olevetpossehideout.com/forums/images/smilies/deadhorse.gif

bluedogok
12/18/2014, 11:20 PM
...but I thought people wanted Stoops to be more aggressive? Not kicking would be the conservative thing to do.

It was a gamble that failed. It's done and over with and nothing is going to change that.

Sooner Schemer
12/18/2014, 11:25 PM
It was the perfect ending to this season. Just re-watch it while playing (or imagining) the soundtrack from a Three Stooges movie and you'll get a good laugh. It worked for me.I hear Benny Hill music, but I'm not laughing.

olevetonahill
12/18/2014, 11:26 PM
...but I thought people wanted Stoops to be more aggressive? Not kicking would be the conservative thing to do.

It was a gamble that failed. It's done and over with and nothing is going to change that.

Some folk just wanta keep bitchin and complaining

Snrinhouston
12/18/2014, 11:27 PM

Agree it was a gamble that failed. Also agree that there is nothing that can be done to change it. The question is whether is was a reckless gamble, one in which the risks far outweighed the benefits.

Snrinhouston
12/18/2014, 11:33 PM
Some folk just wanta keep bitchin and complaining

And other folk should stay out of this post and get back to writing the keynote speech for the annual NAMBLA convention.

BoulderSooner79
12/18/2014, 11:47 PM
I hear Benny Hill music, but I'm not laughing.

Not everybody gets British humor.

olevetonahill
12/18/2014, 11:54 PM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTz5MXvSY-gGzkNWZUp2hh4k3WVwH8CUuuKHBhzYTZbugQxQ5Q_

8timechamps
12/18/2014, 11:54 PM
Yes, but doesn't it make you wonder about Stoops? It seems like such poor judgment on the fundamentals from someone you'd expect to have mastered that in order to be the head coach at a heritage program.

No, not really. It was a poor decision, and he admitted it (again in his press conference this week).

olevetonahill
12/18/2014, 11:55 PM
And other folk should stay out of this post and get back to writing the keynote speech for the annual NAMBLA convention.

You're not the boss of ME!
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9sJOIfITXs-6jeoaIZp-VWIVwv6Cu_u3oXmRNKADffn4FSWjl

8timechamps
12/18/2014, 11:57 PM
Agree it was a gamble that failed. Also agree that there is nothing that can be done to change it. The question is whether is was a reckless gamble, one in which the risks far outweighed the benefits.

But did the risk really outweigh the reward? I know we lost the game, but other than some irritating Poke fans, did it really change anything about this year? Even if we would have won that game, it wouldn't have changed the fact that this was a disappointing season.

If that game were for a conference title, or for a spot in the national title, then I'd probably question the decision a lot more. Given the circumstances, it was just a mistake.

olevetonahill
12/19/2014, 12:06 AM
But did the risk really outweigh the reward? I know we lost the game, but other than some irritating Poke fans, did it really change anything about this year? Even if we would have won that game, it wouldn't have changed the fact that this was a disappointing season.

If that game were for a conference title, or for a spot in the national title, then I'd probably question the decision a lot more. Given the circumstances, it was just a mistake.

But 8TC Houston boys says
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSYhN2TU-SzMfARq25dCxq2N3NigsuY0gTQcj9k1hcLSO7NOcTiA

IslandSooner
12/19/2014, 12:10 AM
It is what it is.... If we don't re kick (or if we do successfully), and end up winning the game.... All that changes on the year is the fact that we beat the pokes... It is still a sub par season, that was at times very mis-managed by our coaching staff, and at other times under executed by the young men that chose to be Sooners... So, at this stage of the season, the only thing we as fans can do is hope we can pull off a win against a DC, that most on here wanted gone..... And then hope our coaching staff can twist that victory into something enticing for a few promising recruits to get us back to a level that we find acceptable..... JMHO

stoops the eternal pimp
12/19/2014, 09:04 AM
Which is why it was a fitting ending to the season - and I'm not even joking. I did laugh when it happened.

I Did too..When he broke the first wall, I honest to God started laughing.

Pricetag
12/19/2014, 11:19 AM
I'm a Cubs fan. I went to St. Louis several years back to watch them play the Cardinals. They day before the game I attended, Albert Pujols hit a homer in extra innings to win the game. I couldn't believe it the next day when the game was in extra innings, and Pujols was up to bat again with the game tied. Any guesses what happened?

Any time you kick to a guy like Hill and he doesn't score on you, you should feel pretty good about yourself. I will never understand why they elected to do it two plays in a row.

SoonerorLater
12/19/2014, 11:24 AM
As long as we're just talking, That Johnny Rogers thing is still eating at me.

olevetonahill
12/19/2014, 11:31 AM
As long as we're just talking, That Johnny Rogers thing is still eating at me.

What about that Call in the Saxet game that cost us a win and we had to settle for Tie?

Pride1Mom
12/19/2014, 11:35 AM
The Oregon "fumble" still bugs me, and the Stansberry interception in the end zone against Texas! Still drive me crazy! That is football, and why we love it. Even the BAD stuff. Football takes us away from the daily hum-drum, and watching fabulous athletes do amazing things!

Soonerjeepman
12/19/2014, 12:53 PM

I'm over it...season was not a "great one"...prob not even a good one by OU standards...but disagree.

ball was on the 15, no TO, 1 minute...even our horrible secondary had a better chance to close the deal than a re-kick

This is why-
#1 could have punted into the end zone putting ball on 20 - osu gained 5 yards
#2 could have punted out of bounds further up field - again yardage gained...*
#3 could have had punt blocked*
#4 could have had punt mishandled (bad hike, bad reception by kicker)*

* because the pressure of needing to kick it ANYWHERE besides the returner.

Again, yes, even Stoops admitted (to a degree, but still blamed the kicker for kicking it to the wrong side) it was a bad decision. Great, but he gets paid $5.5 million, 2nd highest in college football to make those real time game decisions. To all of us "internet coaches"...who get paid jack...KNEW it was bad AT THE TIME....sometimes ya got to take what ya have. That was not the time to risk ANYTHING. He gets paid a lot of money to know that.

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 01:02 PM
I'm over it...season was not a "great one"...prob not even a good one by OU standards...but disagree.

ball was on the 15, no TO, 1 minute...even our horrible secondary had a better chance to close the deal than a re-kick

This is why-

* because the pressure of needing to kick it ANYWHERE besides the returner.

Again, yes, even Stoops admitted (to a degree, but still blamed the kicker for kicking it to the wrong side) it was a bad decision. Great, but he gets paid $5.5 million, 2nd highest in college football to make those real time game decisions. To all of us "internet coaches"...who get paid jack...KNEW it was bad AT THE TIME....sometimes ya got to take what ya have. That was not the time to risk ANYTHING. He gets paid a lot of money to know that.

Bingo. You'd think $5.25 million/year would buy that basic level of awareness. Don't care that he admits his mistake. He gets paid too much to make that kind of mistake.

The decision was as stupid as the one to have Demarco returning the opening kick against Missouri in the 2008 Big XII Championship Game.

Soonerjeepman
12/19/2014, 01:08 PM
oops....5.5 / 5.25 what's 250K lol....but yes. agree.

Yes the game really didn't "matter" as far as any championship...league or not (as 8time mentioned). BUT to lose AT HOME to a 21 pt dog is inexcusable, if it's because of a coaching decision. Don't give me the one play doesn't win or lose games...it was responsible for 9/10's of the loss.

Yes, there are moral victories and moral losses.

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 01:14 PM
oops....5.5 / 5.25 what's 250K lol....but yes. agree.

Yes the game really didn't "matter" as far as any championship...league or not (as 8time mentioned). BUT to lose AT HOME to a 21 pt dog is inexcusable, if it's because of a coaching decision. Don't give me the one play doesn't win or lose games...it was responsible for 9/10's of the loss.

Yes, there are moral victories and moral losses.

The loss mattered because it continues to degrade the OU brand, which has CLEARLY been in decline for 6 years now.

Stoops and his staff are not holding up their end of the deal. Boren and Castiglione should give him next season to right the ship, and boot him if he doesn't.

Soonerjeepman
12/19/2014, 01:40 PM
The loss mattered because it continues to degrade the OU brand, which has CLEARLY been in decline for 6 years now.

Stoops and his staff are not holding up their end of the deal. Boren and Castiglione should give him next season to right the ship, and boot him if he doesn't.

yup

8timechamps
12/19/2014, 04:03 PM

We both agree that the call was a bad one.

Where we disagree is the state of the OU brand. We are less than a year removed from the biggest win that wasn't a national title game. I think a lot of fans only view national title game seasons as "success". By that standard, the program has rarely been successful. This season was a disappointing one, no argument from me. I do NOT think the program is in trouble, or think that Stoops has "lost it". I think we (the fans, and probably the coaches) overlooked some major weak spots going into this season, and expected a title run. We got almost the opposite.

Bob has earned the right to make a bad call here or there. He's also earned a very long leash. If he repeats this year's performance next year, then the heat will most definitely be turned up. Going 8-4 isn't great at OU, but it's not grounds for getting rid of the guy either.

beached_sooner
12/19/2014, 04:15 PM

:applouse::applouse: Good Gawd That's the funniest response I've read in a while !!! :welcoming::chuncky:

olevetonahill
12/19/2014, 04:18 PM

Where we disagree is the state of the OU brand. We are less than a year removed from the biggest win that wasn't a national title game. I think a lot of fans only view national title game seasons as "success". By that standard, the program has rarely been successful. This season was a disappointing one, no argument from me. I do NOT think the program is in trouble, or think that Stoops has "lost it". I think we (the fans, and probably the coaches) overlooked some major weak spots going into this season, and expected a title run. We got almost the opposite.

Bob has earned the right to make a bad call here or there. He's also earned a very long leash. If he repeats this year's performance next year, then the heat will most definitely be turned up. Going 8-4 isn't great at OU, but it's not grounds for getting rid of the guy either.

Lets see here, Da King
1981 went 7-4 an1
82 went 8-4
83 went 8-4
seems a Lot of folk wanted HIM ran off also.
Idiots.

8timechamps
12/19/2014, 04:21 PM
Lets see here, Da King
1981 went 7-4 an1
82 went 8-4
83 went 8-4
Idiots.

Yup. A lot of folks are quick to think the sky is falling too.

BoulderSooner79
12/19/2014, 04:27 PM

This is why-

#1 above is actually a very good trade-off. 8-10 seconds was far more important than 5 yards given the time left - but it carried all the risks to make it not worth it. But getting greedy and trying to get the time and the yards is what p.issed off the football gods and resulted in a harsh smiting.

I disagree about the impact on the OU brand. It's a tiny dent compared the impact of losing the 3 games to all the teams ahead of us in the conference standings. The major damage was already done. If that final insult overcomes some inertia of making some needed changes, it could well end up a net win in the long run. Note, I don't advocate the "scorched earth" view of hoping for losses to get change, but now it's happened, I will admit there may be some truth in it.

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 04:41 PM
Lets see here, Da King
1981 went 7-4 an1
82 went 8-4
83 went 8-4
Idiots.

Oh, you must have finished your NAMBLA speech. I am judging what kick-it-again Bob has done over the last 6 years...not a mere three year period. And over the past 6 years, he has not had OU in serious contention for a National Title. 6 years is not a small sample size.

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 04:50 PM

Sorry. That Bama win has no further cachet. Any momentum from that was lost on Baylor's first drive of the second half.

As for Bob's long leash. What, you don't consider 6 years a long leash? That's how long it's been since OU has seriously contended for a National Title.

Sadly, I think you still will be holding out hope in 2018 when OU has still not contended for a title.

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 04:55 PM
#1 above is actually a very good trade-off. 8-10 seconds was far more important than 5 yards given the time left - but it carried all the risks to make it not worth it. But getting greedy and trying to get the time and the yards is what p.issed off the football gods and resulted in a harsh smiting.

I disagree about the impact on the OU brand. It's a tiny dent compared the impact of losing the 3 games to all the teams ahead of us in the conference standings. The major damage was already done. If that final insult overcomes some inertia of making some needed changes, it could well end up a net win in the long run. Note, I don't advocate the "scorched earth" view of hoping for losses to get change, but now it's happened, I will admit there may be some truth in it.

Sadly, I do believe in this approach now. I believe it's the only thing that will get Castiglione and Boren's attention because it will affect revenue.

I hate USC more than any other team, but grudgingly I respect how high it keeps its standards and how short a leash it puts on its coaches.

KantoSooner
12/19/2014, 04:57 PM
I bet we're all still holding out hope in 2145.

Because Bob is stubborn and a dumb dumb and all the fans are sheeple sunshine pumpers.

There? Did that about cover it? Good; then we don't have to repeat it another six thousand times.

FlatLander
12/19/2014, 04:58 PM
What really bugged me was:

1. How we lost the games. I don't mind getting beat when the other team is making great plays. But the tcu, kstate, and ostate games were given away.

2. The team as a whole did not improve over the course of the season. The same mistakes made at the start of the season were still being made at the end of the season.

3. Lack of depth.

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 05:02 PM

1. How we lost the games. I don't mind getting beat when the other team is making great plays. But the tcu, kstate, and ostate games were given away.

2. The team as a whole did not improve over the course of the season. The same mistakes made at the start of the season were still being made at the end of the season.

3. Lack of depth.

Everything you say is right. OU is simply not a premium football program anymore. But kick-it-again Bob will keep cashing those premium checks.

olevetonahill
12/19/2014, 05:16 PM
Oh, you must have finished your NAMBLA speech. I am judging what kick-it-again Bob has done over the last 6 years...not a mere three year period. And over the past 6 years, he has not had OU in serious contention for a National Title. 6 years is not a small sample size.

Yer as funny as Obammy. **** off dip ****!

8timechamps
12/19/2014, 05:25 PM
Sorry. That Bama win has no further cachet. Any momentum from that was lost on Baylor's first drive of the second half.

As for Bob's long leash. What, you don't consider 6 years a long leash? That's how long it's been since OU has seriously contended for a National Title.

Sadly, I think you still will be holding out hope in 2018 when OU has still not contended for a title.

You can't erase the Bama win because you're upset with Stoops. I agree that it lost it's luster after the way the season played out, but it still happened. I don't measure success by how many title games we get to, because that's quite an unrealistic expectation. Looking at Stoops last 5 years:

2014: 8-4 (with one game left)
2013: 11-2
2012: 10-3 Conference Co-Champ
2011: 10-3
2010: 12-2 Conference Champ

I just don't see a problem. Like I said, if we come out and put up a repeat performance next season, the heat will be turned up. I just don't panic when we have an 8-4 year after going 43-10 with two conference titles in the previous 4.

Stoops doesn't get a long leash just based on national title game appearances. He gets that leash based on the entire body of work. He's won, a lot. He's kept the program clean. He's won more conference titles than anyone in the conference. Those are the things I take into account.

cvsooner
12/19/2014, 05:30 PM
Sadly, I do believe in this approach now. I believe it's the only thing that will get Castiglione and Boren's attention because it will affect revenue.

I hate USC more than any other team, but grudgingly I respect how high it keeps its standards and how short a leash it puts on its coaches.

It didn't before Haden became the AD.

8timechamps
12/19/2014, 05:30 PM

This doesn't make sense to me, are you saying KSU/TCU didn't make great plays, or play well? What about Baylor, they made a lot of great plays, did you mind that loss?

I won't argue this point, as the defense did take a step back. The offense played fine (contrary to popular belief).

3. Lack of depth.

Look no further than the 2011 recruiting class for the reason.

I don't think anyone was happy with this season. It was very disappointing. However, it's the exception under Stoops.

8timechamps
12/19/2014, 05:31 PM

Now I'm really confused. You would rather have a coach on a short leash (which results in a revolving door of coaches more times than not), and have horrible seasons?

BoulderSooner79
12/19/2014, 05:34 PM
You can't erase the Bama win because you're upset with Stoops. I agree that it lost it's luster after the way the season played out, but it still happened. I don't measure success by how many title games we get to, because that's quite an unrealistic expectation. Looking at Stoops last 5 years:

2014: 8-4 (with one game left)
2013: 11-2
2012: 10-3 Conference Co-Champ
2011: 10-3
2010: 12-2 Conference Champ

I just don't see a problem. Like I said, if we come out and put up a repeat performance next season, the heat will be turned up. I just don't panic when we have an 8-4 year after going 43-10 with two conference titles in the previous 4.

Stoops doesn't get a long leash just based on national title game appearances. He gets that leash based on the entire body of work. He's won, a lot. He's kept the program clean. He's won more conference titles than anyone in the conference. Those are the things I take into account.

Pretty much spot on. Look how things went for Mack Brown and I think it would take a similar timeline for Stoops if it came to that. Brown wasn't on the hot seat until he went 5-7 and even then he was allowed time to try a new staff before he "got retired". And the power brokers behind Texas are not known to be softies. I'm not saying this is good or bad - it just is.

badger
12/19/2014, 05:44 PM
We were a middling unranked team (probably) win or lose and good can come from losses just like wins and sometimes losses are more beneficial than wins, especially when you're not competing for BCS (or upper tier rather) bowl berths or championships or playoff spots anyway.

Let Poke relish their once in a blue moon win over us. Let them rub it in our players and coaches faces. Let their fanbase deck out in even brighter orange and chow down on Eskimo Joe's cheese fries.

And let us use this as motivation to never be embarrassed at home again. NEVER! AGAIN!

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 06:02 PM
This doesn't make sense to me, are you saying KSU/TCU didn't make great plays, or play well? What about Baylor, they made a lot of great plays, did you mind that loss?

I won't argue this point, as the defense did take a step back. The offense played fine (contrary to popular belief).

I don't think anyone was happy with this season. It was very disappointing. However, it's the exception under Stoops.

2009 says hello.

BoulderSooner79
12/19/2014, 06:10 PM
2009 says hello.

Comparing 2009 vs 2014 is like comparing apples to ducks. There was no reason to look at the coaching staff in '09 unless your knowledge of football is so shallow, all you understand is the W/L record. There are plenty of things to question the staff about this season, from scheme, to game planning, to in-game management.

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 06:11 PM
Pretty much spot on. Look how things went for Mack Brown and I think it would take a similar timeline for Stoops if it came to that. Brown wasn't on the hot seat until he went 5-7 and even then he was allowed time to try a new staff before he "got retired". And the power brokers behind Texas are not known to be softies. I'm not saying this is good or bad - it just is.

If OU makes the same mistake as Texas, then shame on OU.

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 06:16 PM
Comparing 2009 vs 2014 is like comparing apples to ducks. There was no reason to look at the coaching staff in '09 unless your knowledge of football is so shallow, all you understand is the W/L record. There are plenty of things to question the staff about this season, from scheme, to game planning, to in-game management.

2009 came unglued for the VERY reason Andre Ware (who many people mocked on this board for his 8-4 preseason prediction) said. Substandard offensive line play. Review the plays in the BYU game before Bradford ended up writhing on the turf.

So Stoops is now not responsible for having an effective offensive line?

BoulderSooner79
12/19/2014, 06:25 PM
If OU makes the same mistake as Texas, then shame on OU.

Like I said, not passing judgement - just trying to take the 50K' dispassionate view of things. The folks in charge don't look at things the same way the fans do. But there are important differences between UT and OU. Mostly in the revenue area as UT football is the #1 revenue generator in the country, so I'm sure that played into how long Brown stuck around. And UT is a much bigger school than OU and the greater Austin area is more populated than what is around OU, so the revenue is probably more sticky. So I would guess Bob would have a bit shorter leach than Brown did, but he also hasn't produced a 5-7 seaon either.

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 06:28 PM
Like I said, not passing judgement - just trying to take the 50K' dispassionate view of things. The folks in charge don't look at things the same way the fans do. But there are important differences between UT and OU. Mostly in the revenue area as UT football is the #1 revenue generator in the country, so I'm sure that played into how long Brown stuck around. And UT is a much bigger school than OU and the greater Austin area is more populated than what is around OU, so the revenue is probably more sticky. So I would guess Bob would have a bit shorter leach than Brown did, but he also hasn't produced a 5-7 seaon either.

If he does, I can't wait to hear what the Stoops apologists have to say.

Curly Bill
12/19/2014, 06:38 PM

They're gonna say something how at least he's not John Blake, blah, blah, blah...

BoulderSooner79
12/19/2014, 06:41 PM
2009 came unglued for the VERY reason Andre Ware (who many people mocked on this board for his 8-4 preseason prediction) said. Substandard offensive line play. Review the plays in the BYU game before Bradford ended up writhing on the turf.

So Stoops is now not responsible for having an effective offensive line?

'09 was a rebuilding year on offense and especially on the line. And then the line was injury riddled on top of that and was generally shuffled week to week. Combine that with losing Bradford and Gresham and the offensive capability was pretty predictable and I didn't see any magic coaching that was going to make it that much better. And on the defensive side, we were excellent. Overall, I thought the coaches did okay with hand they were dealt.

This year we had an extremely experienced O-line with minimal injuries - a great basis for results. We underachieved, IMO, and there were plenty of coaching decisions that I think contributed. And on defense, we were just awful at times and again I think coaching could have made us a lot better. Overall, I thought we underachieved on offense, defense and special teams.

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 06:47 PM
'09 was a rebuilding year on offense and especially on the line. And then the line was injury riddled on top of that and was generally shuffled week to week. Combine that with losing Bradford and Gresham and the offensive capability was pretty predictable and I didn't see any magic coaching that was going to make it that much better. And on the defensive side, we were excellent. Overall, I thought the coaches did okay with hand they were dealt.

This year we had an extremely experienced O-line with minimal injuries - a great basis for results. We underachieved, IMO, and there were plenty of coaching decisions that I think contributed. And on defense, we were just awful at times and again I think coaching could have made us a lot better. Overall, I thought we underachieved on offense, defense and special teams.

Sorry, when you cash checks like Stoops does, you don't have the luxury of using "rebuilding" as an excuse. Heritage programs like Oklahoma are supposed to reload because of superior recruiting and talent development. If Stoops can't do that, then he's not earning his premium pay. It's really that simple. You willingly cash premium checks, then you best deliver the expected premium results.

Remember the USC line that allowed Leinart to make pbj sandwiches before he threw to a receiver in the Orange Bowl? That was a rebuilt offensive line from the year before.

BoulderSooner79
12/19/2014, 06:57 PM
Sorry, when you cash checks like Stoops does, you don't have the luxury of using "rebuilding" as an excuse. Heritage programs like Oklahoma are supposed to reload because of superior recruiting and talent development. If Stoops can't do that, then he's not earning his premium pay. It's really that simple. You willingly cash premium checks, then you best deliver the expected premium results.

You can thump your chest and claim OU shouldn't have rebuilding years, but that doesn't make it true. OU has always had rebuilding years and it will happen again in the future. Writing big checks will not change that. And rebuilding years can be entertaining if you enjoy the details of the game and like to watch the players develop. '05 was an excellent rebuilding year if you were paying attention. If all you care about is the bottom line, then not so much.

Curly Bill
12/19/2014, 07:04 PM
You can thump your chest and claim OU shouldn't have rebuilding years, but that doesn't make it true. OU has always had rebuilding years and it will happen again in the future. Writing big checks will not change that. And rebuilding years can be entertaining if you enjoy the details of the game and like to watch the players develop. '05 was an excellent rebuilding year if you were paying attention. If all you care about is the bottom line, then not so much.

Now we can look forward to building years in the future of Stoops. To call em rebuilding years would mean we'd accomplished something the year before. ;)

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 07:17 PM

Writing big checks to the wrong guy certainly won't change that. How many "rebuilding" years has Bama had since Saban won his first title at that school?

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 07:20 PM
Now we can look forward to building years in the future of Stoops. To call em rebuilding years would mean we'd accomplished something the year before. ;)

Exactly. What Stoops has done the past 6 years gets a B grade on the report card. Maybe there's an argument to be made for B+. But who can credibly say that the results over the past 6 years gets any type of A grade? Ok…now, who can credibly say that Stoops has received other than A compensation over the past 6 years?

8timechamps
12/19/2014, 07:21 PM
2009 says hello.

Stoops has had three 8 win teams in 15 years. I'd say that those are the exception.

8timechamps
12/19/2014, 07:23 PM

That's my favorite.

So, fans that support the team, and it's coach, are "Stoops apologists". I guess, in the minds of the elite few, that see things clearly (and think the program is headed to hell in a handbasket) are what, the "enlightened"?

BoulderSooner79
12/19/2014, 07:26 PM

It's rare to have a complete rebuilding year because that means most your starters are either seniors or declare early for the NFL. '05 is the only year I would call a complete rebuilding year in the Stoops era. '09 was weird because there was so much rebuilding on offense (once Bradford and Gresham were lost), but so much experience on defense. Usually graduation losses are more spread out and of course it happens to all teams.

But I agree with your snide remark about accomplishing something. I mentioned I thought we underacheived in all areas on the field, but I didn't mention player development. I was as much disappointed with the development of our new starters as any other area. Our new WRs and DBs didn't seem to make huge strides and TK continued to be inconsistent. I didn't think the team improved much week to week this year and that essentially means falling behind as the competition moves forward.

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 07:26 PM
Stoops has had three 8 win teams in 15 years. I'd say that those are the exception.

What Stoops has done over 15 years is TOTALLY irrelevant to the issue at hand, which is his capability RIGHT NOW to have OU contend for a national title.

In what sport does ANYONE judge the current merits of coach or player based on the last 15 years? In that case, the Houston Texans should solve its quarterback problem with Brett Favre.

8timechamps
12/19/2014, 07:27 PM
Exactly. What Stoops has done the past 6 years gets a B grade on the report card. Maybe there's an argument to be made for B+. But who can credibly say that the results over the past 6 years gets any type of A grade? Ok…now, who can credibly say that Stoops has received other than A compensation over the past 6 years?

I know that you "enlightened" folks don't like to hear this argument, but let me ask you, who is it that's going to come in and accomplish the things Stoops accomplished, without any down years, and take less money?

Again, I know it's not an argument you guys like to hear, but it is a real question. How many elite coaches are going to come to a program that gets rid of it's head coach with the record that head coach had? They must also never have a down year, and must be willing to do it for less.

I'm just not seeing anyone that fits that bill.

BoulderSooner79
12/19/2014, 07:33 PM
Writing big checks to the wrong guy certainly won't change that. How many "rebuilding" years has Bama had since Saban won his first title at that school?

I don't think it's possible to recruit players to Norman and the big12 like it is to top SEC schools. Switzer had rebuilding years too like '76 and the big 8 was a much stronger brand. I certainly do think we could get better results with the players we can pull in and I've said I thought the coaches did not do a great job this year. Very different than previous year with similar records.

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 07:39 PM
I know that you "enlightened" folks don't like to hear this argument, but let me ask you, who is it that's going to come in and accomplish the things Stoops accomplished, without any down years, and take less money?

Again, I know it's not an argument you guys like to hear, but it is a real question. How many elite coaches are going to come to a program that gets rid of it's head coach with the record that head coach had? They must also never have a down year, and must be willing to do it for less.

I'm just not seeing anyone that fits that bill.

I am happy to address that. Let's start with this...the last 14 National Championships will have been won by a coach NOT named Stoops. So Bob is not the lone oasis in the college football desert.

There are more than 100 FBS programs. Lots of young assistant coaches and head coaches out there. Was getting Bob Stoops back in 1999 an incredible anomaly? The rare case of finding an up and comer? I think not.

Finding the next 1999 version of Stoops is not my job. And not your job, hence I'm sure you haven't spent hours or days researching the subject. So it makes sense that you haven't seen anyone "who fits the bill".

But it is Castiglione's job !!!! And that's where he earns his very large paycheck. If he doesn't get it right, then he needs to get fired too. This is a results oriented game. Nobody wants to hear about the delivery. Show me the baby.

And let's for a second actually look at the delivery (the details). The god-damn entire season the team struggled with getting plays off in time, managing time-outs. Really? $5.25 million per year and Stoops' team struggles with clock management fundamentals? Doesn't that tell you all you need to know about whether Stoops is worth the premium he's paid. How would you react if you went to a 5 star hotel and it took 1 hour for the bellhop to get your luggage up to your room?

cvsooner
12/19/2014, 08:13 PM

You need to find another school. You're clearly not happy with this one. Or at least find something truly important to worry about. It's college football, dude; it's not exactly life or death. It's a GAME...or it's supposed to be. Hell, you don't even live in Oklahoma. What are you kvetching at?

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 08:21 PM
You need to find another school. You're clearly not happy with this one. Or at least find something truly important to worry about. It's college football, dude; it's not exactly life or death. It's a GAME...or it's supposed to be. Hell, you don't even live in Oklahoma. What are you kvetching at?

But for Olevetisms, that has got to be the dumbest, most irrelevant response I've heard.

cvsooner
12/19/2014, 08:30 PM
But for Olevetisms, that has got to be the dumbest, most irrelevant response I've heard.

I aim to please. My point is, it's not your money (tax or otherwise) going to Stoops or the University. So why all the whining about what Stoops is paid? That's between him and his employer: the University of Oklahoma. Most of the revenue that comes in goes to students and their programs. Stoops' and the coaching staff's compensation is a very small percentage of total revenue.

It's your right to complain, sure, but whether it has any credibility or not...is a different matter.

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 08:32 PM
I aim to please. My point is, it's not your money (tax or otherwise) going to Stoops or the University. So why all the whining about what Stoops is paid? That's between him and his employer: the University of Oklahoma. Most of the revenue that comes in goes to students and their programs. Stoops' and the coaching staff's compensation is a very small percentage of total revenue.

It's your right to complain, sure, but whether it has any credibility or not...is a different matter.

And you do! Everything you've said so far has been comedic gold.

olevetonahill
12/19/2014, 09:21 PM
And you do! Everything you've said so far has been comedic gold.

His is Gold yers is Same same shat!

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 09:30 PM
His is Gold yers is Same same shat!

Speak of the inbred idiot (or as he would say, "idyit") and he shall appear!

You going to hang out with the grown ups for a little bit? Not too long though. Be your bed time soon. You'll need to brush your tooth, put on your onesie, then go night night.

olevetonahill
12/19/2014, 09:35 PM

You going to hang out with the grown ups for a little bit? Not too long though. Be your bed time soon. You'll need to brush your tooth, put on your onesie, then go night night.

You're just a very special person.

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 09:37 PM
You're just a very special person.

That's it? That is the witty retort of the grizzled country sage? I expected better...

Wait, no...I didnt.

For everyone else in the audience, this is about the time Olevet runs to Turd Ferguson for help and The Turd gives me about 40 negspeks.

olevetonahill
12/19/2014, 09:48 PM
That's it? That is the witty retort of the grizzled country sage? I expected better...

Wait, no...I didnt.

For everyone else in the audience, this is about the time Olevet runs to Turd Ferguson for help and The Turd gives me about 40 negspeks.

You live in yer own little world dont ya.

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 09:55 PM
You live in yer own little world dont ya.

The verbal bully just doesn't have much punch behind his words when someone stands up to him...Funny how that works.

SoonerorLater
12/19/2014, 09:59 PM
I don't think it's possible to recruit players to Norman and the big12 like it is to top SEC schools. Switzer had rebuilding years too like '76 and the big 8 was a much stronger brand. I certainly do think we could get better results with the players we can pull in and I've said I thought the coaches did not do a great job this year. Very different than previous year with similar records.

OK I have to ask you why Oklahoma, who is on almost everybody's short list of greatest all time programs, shouldn't be able to recruit like a team such as Alabama. I get the SEC brand thing but they developed that brand, what is it that makes it metaphysically impossible for the Big 12 to develop that type brand?.

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 10:06 PM
OK I have to ask you why Oklahoma, who is on almost everybody's short list of greatest all time programs, shouldn't be able to recruit like a team such as Alabama. I get the SEC brand thing but they developed that brand, what is it that makes it metaphysically impossible for the Big 12 to develop that type brand?.

Amen.

olevetonahill
12/19/2014, 10:15 PM
The verbal bully just doesn't have much punch behind his words when someone stands up to him...Funny how that works.

Aint that Ya Moran, Its you aint worth piszing on and I got better things to do tonight.
Go **** yerself.

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 10:19 PM
Aint that Ya Moran, Its you aint worth piszing on and I got better things to do tonight.
Go **** yerself.

Oh...must be that NAMBLA is having a barbecue and hot-tub party to close out the annual convention?

BoulderSooner79
12/20/2014, 12:21 AM

Just my opinion. The big 12 may be able to develop that brand, but it's going the wrong direction at the moment and won't turn around on a dime. I certainly don't think it will change that drastically during what is likely to be the remainder of the Stoops' watch. And players generally play close to home and the SE chunk of the country produces more players. We used to make up for that by great recruiting in Texas, but not as much any more. Folks more in tune with recruiting here say that the quality of players out of Texas has gone downhill. I don't understand why that would be true, but I'm not interested enough to go research it. I don't think we can recruit a depth of players from the west and east coasts - just a few gems. And Oklahoma being on the short list of greatest all time programs doesn't mean squat if it's not on the short list of the 17 and 18 year old players we're trying to recruit. I just don't think Norman+OU has the kind of pull that older fans believe. It's still very good pull and certainly good enough to produce elite teams when combined with top notch coaching. And I'll repeat - just my opinion.

pappy
12/20/2014, 01:32 AM
Just my opinion. The big 12 may be able to develop that brand, but it's going the wrong direction at the moment and won't turn around on a dime. I certainly don't think it will change that drastically during what is likely to be the remainder of the Stoops' watch. And players generally play close to home and the SE chunk of the country produces more players. We used to make up for that by great recruiting in Texas, but not as much any more. Folks more in tune with recruiting here say that the quality of players out of Texas has gone downhill. I don't understand why that would be true, but I'm not interested enough to go research it. I don't think we can recruit a depth of players from the west and east coasts - just a few gems. And Oklahoma being on the short list of greatest all time programs doesn't mean squat if it's not on the short list of the 17 and 18 year old players we're trying to recruit. I just don't think Norman+OU has the kind of pull that older fans believe. It's still very good pull and certainly good enough to produce elite teams when combined with top notch coaching. And I'll repeat - just my opinion.

I didn't really read very many comments on this thread, but I enjoyed yours. Here is my opinion. Coaching scheme is hurting recruiting. I remember watching us play Baylor and saying (I'm a huge OU fan) if I was a highly recruited cornerback there is no way I'm going to OU. The constant playing off wr's which allows short passes to be completed on you all day long makes the corner look bad when in reality its the coaches telling them to play off. Its the scheme. If you watch the SEC or if you want to use the excuse that offenses in the SEC, for the most part, aren't any good (which I agree with) then look at the NFL and pay attention to their corners...they don't really play off...they do some but its rare. It doesn't matter who they're playing. And don't say we don't have the athletes to play up, because we do. We don't put our athletes in the best position to win. We don't give them the opportunity to use their athletic ability.

Bob needs to clean house on the defensive side of the ball. I'd keep Montgomery and that is it. Everyone else can hit the road. Especially Mike.

olevetonahill
12/20/2014, 03:54 AM
Oh...must be that NAMBLA is having a barbecue and hot-tub party to close out the annual convention?

You sure know alot about that, I had to Google it cause I dint know what it meant ya Fag!

Soonerjeepman
12/20/2014, 12:08 PM

not being an a$$...lol, really not, but I don't think our punters hang time is 8-10 secs. Especially from where the LOS was. I'll give ya 4-5 secs...by the time the ball is hiked/kicked to being called dead in the endzone...but I understand your point, just don't agree with it.

FlatLander
12/20/2014, 12:48 PM

Oh yeah, tcu and ksu did play well, I just felt in both of those our lack of play cost us, not them really beating us.

In the tcu game, if I remember correctly, the defense gave us the ball back twice on turnovers late in the game and we came up empty. We coulda/shoulda won.

In the ksu game, bad decisions and missed opportunities cost us. We coulda/shoulda won.

The Baylor game definitely bummed me out, but in that one they capitalized on a couple of our mistakes, unlike us in the tcu game and then totally exploited us. We got thumped.

BoulderSooner79
12/20/2014, 01:21 PM
not being an a$$...lol, really not, but I don't think our punters hang time is 8-10 secs. Especially from where the LOS was. I'll give ya 4-5 secs...by the time the ball is hiked/kicked to being called dead in the endzone...but I understand your point, just don't agree with it.

Yes, probably more like 7-8 seconds total time counting snap, catch, approach and kick+hang-time. Where the LOS is doesn't matter because the time is only determined by how high the ball is kicked, not the distance. But the exact time doesn't matter. The other way to look at it is that it would cost OSU at least 1 play and they only have a minute and thus a few plays to work with. And 4 yards is highly unlikely to make a difference (the first kick was actually to the 16 as I recall). But that one extra play could be the difference of having time for a hail mary. So if there was no risk involved, taking away a play for 4-5 yards is an excellent tradeoff. I guarantee if they didn't run it back, our defense would have happily given them all the 5 yard plays they wanted.

Sooner8th
12/20/2014, 02:10 PM
Aint that Ya Moran, Its you aint worth piszing on and I got better things to do tonight. Go **** yerself.
Oh...must be that NAMBLA is having a barbecue and hot-tub party to close out the annual convention?snrinhouston don't waste your time with this clown. He never brings anything to a discussion that is relevant. All he does is try to be funny in a grade school way. He knows so little about football he still cannot figure out how or why if you gan yards back from an offensive penalty they are counted in your offensive yardage totals

olevetonahill
12/20/2014, 02:30 PM
snrinhouston don't waste your time with this clown. He never brings anything to a discussion that is relevant. All he does is try to be funny in a grade school way. He knows so little about football he still cannot figure out how or why if you gan yards back from an offensive penalty they are counted in your offensive yardage totals

Oh look another ****in assclown
Just as soon as I have time to waste on you 2 Ill get back to ya.

Sooner8th
12/20/2014, 02:44 PM
Oh look another ****in assclown Just as soon as I have time to waste on you 2 Ill get back to ya.Got to go try to figure out fundamental football rules huh? About time.

olevetonahill
12/20/2014, 04:16 PM
Got to go try to figure out fundamental football rules huh? About time.

Message deleted

You two clowns wanta talk smack lets go to the smack forum or Obammy land.

Snrinhouston
12/20/2014, 06:36 PM
snrinhouston don't waste your time with this clown. He never brings anything to a discussion that is relevant. All he does is try to be funny in a grade school way. He knows so little about football he still cannot figure out how or why if you gan yards back from an offensive penalty they are counted in your offensive yardage totals

Yeah, I know. Then after you verbally light him up (which as you've inferred really isn't sport) he runs to his ****buddy, Turd Ferguson (hence the name Turd), who'll give you about 20-40 negspeks with the note "db".

Get the two of them together for a reality show and it would make Swamp People look like sophisticated socialites.

Between the two of them, what do you think the over/under is on the combined years since both have been to a dentist? I'd set it at 15.

olevetonahill
12/20/2014, 06:50 PM
Smack board Ya Morans
I have NEVER ran to Turd. you mistake me for an Idiot like you. Nuff said

8timechamps
12/20/2014, 08:44 PM
I am happy to address that. Let's start with this...the last 14 National Championships will have been won by a coach NOT named Stoops. So Bob is not the lone oasis in the college football desert.

There are more than 100 FBS programs. Lots of young assistant coaches and head coaches out there. Was getting Bob Stoops back in 1999 an incredible anomaly? The rare case of finding an up and comer? I think not.

Finding the next 1999 version of Stoops is not my job. And not your job, hence I'm sure you haven't spent hours or days researching the subject. So it makes sense that you haven't seen anyone "who fits the bill".

But it is Castiglione's job !!!! And that's where he earns his very large paycheck. If he doesn't get it right, then he needs to get fired too. This is a results oriented game. Nobody wants to hear about the delivery. Show me the baby.

And let's for a second actually look at the delivery (the details). The god-damn entire season the team struggled with getting plays off in time, managing time-outs. Really? $5.25 million per year and Stoops' team struggles with clock management fundamentals? Doesn't that tell you all you need to know about whether Stoops is worth the premium he's paid. How would you react if you went to a 5 star hotel and it took 1 hour for the bellhop to get your luggage up to your room?

There are a ton of coaches out there that could be the next great one. There are far more that aren't that guy. There's a long list of programs that lost a coach (whether he was fired or retired) and either hasn't been able to regain those standards or it's taken multiple hires to get to that point. Look at Tennessee, they're a great example. Even Texas thinks they have the right guy, but I'm not convinced and I think Texas will be mediocre for a while. The point is that great coaches are few and far between.

I realize Stoops isn't going to be the head coach forever. And at some point, a new guy will take over. I just think it's a shot in the dark to get a coach that can do what Stoops has done.

The truth is no school/program measures success solely on the number and frequency of title game appearances. It's simply unrealistic to hold someone to that standard. However, conference titles/winning/running a clean program are things that need to be accounted for, and Stoops has been pretty damn good in all three categories.

This all boils down to a terribly disappointing season. Some are quick to want a leadership change, and some are more patient. I am of the opinion that this season is pretty easily accounted for, and looking back, it's not hard to understand why things went they way they did. That said, I fully expect a better year next year. If things continue to stay on the same course, then it may be time to start looking around. But, one 8 win season every 5 years doesn't make Stoops a "bad" coach, nor is it an indication that the program has gone off the rails.

Stoops has earned my trust, and I trust that he will fix what needs to be fixed.

I don't care what Stoops makes. It doesn't affect me one way, or another. So, that point doesn't resonate with me.

bluedogok
12/20/2014, 08:44 PM
Bama didn't recruit all that great when they had Shula and Fran. USC is not the power that is was under Carroll and they weren't all that great before Carroll. Notre Dame had a good season under Kelly and that is it. Michigan, Penn State, Miami, etc. are shells of there former selves.

To 17 y.o. kids fashion, flash and winning means more than history. Kids don't appreciate history for the most part until they are older. If Bama wasn't winning consistently then they wouldn't be getting the level of recruits necessary, history already proved that.

Snrinhouston
12/20/2014, 09:51 PM
Bama didn't recruit all that great when they had Shula and Fran. USC is not the power that is was under Carroll and they weren't all that great before Carroll. Notre Dame had a good season under Kelly and that is it. Michigan, Penn State, Miami, etc. are shells of there former selves.

To 17 y.o. kids fashion, flash and winning means more than history. Kids don't appreciate history for the most part until they are older. If Bama wasn't winning consistently then they wouldn't be getting the level of recruits necessary, history already proved that.

Not fair to judge USC now as compared to what it was under Carroll. Two years from now that comparison will be fair as it should be recovered from the reduced scholarship sanctions.

pappy
12/20/2014, 11:22 PM
There are a ton of coaches out there that could be the next great one. There are far more that aren't that guy. There's a long list of programs that lost a coach (whether he was fired or retired) and either hasn't been able to regain those standards or it's taken multiple hires to get to that point. Look at Tennessee, they're a great example. Even Texas thinks they have the right guy, but I'm not convinced and I think Texas will be mediocre for a while. The point is that great coaches are few and far between.

I realize Stoops isn't going to be the head coach forever. And at some point, a new guy will take over. I just think it's a shot in the dark to get a coach that can do what Stoops has done.

The truth is no school/program measures success solely on the number and frequency of title game appearances. It's simply unrealistic to hold someone to that standard. However, conference titles/winning/running a clean program are things that need to be accounted for, and Stoops has been pretty damn good in all three categories.

This all boils down to a terribly disappointing season. Some are quick to want a leadership change, and some are more patient. I am of the opinion that this season is pretty easily accounted for, and looking back, it's not hard to understand why things went they way they did. That said, I fully expect a better year next year. If things continue to stay on the same course, then it may be time to start looking around. But, one 8 win season every 5 years doesn't make Stoops a "bad" coach, nor is it an indication that the program has gone off the rails.

Stoops has earned my trust, and I trust that he will fix what needs to be fixed.

I don't care what Stoops makes. It doesn't affect me one way, or another. So, that point doesn't resonate with me.

Auburn won the national title in 2010 and then last year went to the national title game with a new head coach....Oregon has been a contender for several years under Chip Kelly and they have a new head coach and they are in the playoffs. You can make examples of both situations programs who tank for a few years and struggle to return to a contender and then others who just keep going as usual. Every situation is different.

I'm not saying Bob needs to go (this year) but I am saying he needs to do some house cleaning especially on the defensive side of the ball before next season. He should start by telling his brother to pack his bags and hit the road. He won't though.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/21/2014, 12:33 AM

I don't live in Oklahoma either, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything since I am an OU alumna, Sooner born and Sooner bred.

I've said it before and I will say it again, I don't mind losing fair and square to a more talented team. But I've seen too many games in the last few seasons that in my opinion we should have won but instead pissed away due to mental mistakes, poor clock management, lack of discipline. And I put that squarely on the coaches' shoulders. Their job is to coach to minimize such players' mistakes, make them more disciplined, and at minimum know how to work clock.

cherokeebrewer
12/21/2014, 09:56 AM
It was a very disappointing & frustrating season. The inexplicable re-punt put the exclamation mark on it...and frankly, I have no idea what Mike Stoops defensive plan was but whatever it was, it did not work.

EatLeadCommie
12/21/2014, 03:01 PM
I don't think Mike is going anywhere. Frankly, he has been an improvement over Brent, but that isn't saying much. Bob needs to focus on player development flaws by dumping some assistants and needs to show Josh the door, or at the very least get him out of the booth.

8timechamps
12/21/2014, 07:34 PM
Auburn won the national title in 2010 and then last year went to the national title game with a new head coach....Oregon has been a contender for several years under Chip Kelly and they have a new head coach and they are in the playoffs. You can make examples of both situations programs who tank for a few years and struggle to return to a contender and then others who just keep going as usual. Every situation is different.

I'm not saying Bob needs to go (this year) but I am saying he needs to do some house cleaning especially on the defensive side of the ball before next season. He should start by telling his brother to pack his bags and hit the road. He won't though.

You make a good point, but the flip side is that programs that are successful and lose a good coach, then drop off, far outnumber the ones that continue to succeed at the same level under a new guy.

Tennessee
Michigan
Notre Dame
Washington
USC
Nebraska
Florida

Those are just off the top of my head, but there are more. Those are also just the big name programs.

I'm not saying it's impossible to replace Bob, I'm just saying it's not an easy proposition. And I am not against some staff changed this off season, however, I'm not convinced that's what it's going to take to get back to where we want to be.

beached_sooner
12/22/2014, 03:25 PM

:welcoming: :chuncky: Stop it man, you're killing me !!!! :chuncky:

Snrinhouston
12/23/2014, 12:39 PM
I don't live in Oklahoma either, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything since I am an OU alumna, Sooner born and Sooner bred.

I've said it before and I will say it again, I don't mind losing fair and square to a more talented team. But I've seen too many games in the last few seasons that in my opinion we should have won but instead pissed away due to mental mistakes, poor clock management, lack of discipline. And I put that squarely on the coaches' shoulders. Their job is to coach to minimize such players' mistakes, make them more disciplined, and at minimum know how to work clock.

Nothing more need be said.

pappy
12/25/2014, 02:43 AM
You make a good point, but the flip side is that programs that are successful and lose a good coach, then drop off, far outnumber the ones that continue to succeed at the same level under a new guy.

Tennessee
Michigan
Notre Dame
Washington
USC
Nebraska
Florida

Those are just off the top of my head, but there are more. Those are also just the big name programs.

I'm not saying it's impossible to replace Bob, I'm just saying it's not an easy proposition. And I am not against some staff changed this off season, however, I'm not convinced that's what it's going to take to get back to where we want to be.

All true...

USC has had the NCAA scholarship sanctions holding them back. Now that those are over with we can get a real look to see.
Nebraska moved to the Big 10 and I think it hurts their recruiting in the south because the players in the south aren't seeing them on tv as much as they did when they were playing southern schools.
Notre Dame was in the national title game 2 seasons ago with their current head coach.

The others yeah agree.

I don't think Bob will ever get rid of Mike, but he needs to get rid of Kish and Wright.

He should get rid of Mike too...really the only coach on defense I'd keep is Montgomery. Offensively Heupel needs to stick to being a qb coach and someone else needs to be offensive coordinator. I don't think Josh did a real bad job but he goes away from what's working a lot. This year we weren't a good passing team and he tried to force feed the pass a lot especially the first half of the season. If Knight doesn't go down with an injury he probably never adjusts and I guarantee Perine wouldn't be holding the single game rushing record.