PDA

View Full Version : 2010 recruiting (2011 class) is partially to blame for this year

8timechamps
12/10/2014, 09:06 PM
I know it's popular belief that OU isn't very good at recruiting, but the truth is we have done fine under Stoops. Some classes are better than others, but there's rarely been a "bad" recruiting class. If you weren't aware, the 2011 recruiting class was one of the "bad" ones. Not that we didn't land some quality talent, but there were many factors that lead to that class being almost nonexistent. Had that class panned out, those players would been R-Sophomores and juniors this year. Given that we were pretty damn young (especially on defense), it's pretty obvious that the 2011 class was partially responsible for this year's disappointment.

Every year, Stoops & staff brings in between 20-25 new recruits. Nobody expects every single one of those to become impact players, let alone super stars, but the 2011 class is woefully absent. Here's a look at that class along with current update on the players:

Player
Position
Rating
Status as of the 2014 season

Trey Metoyer
WR
5 star
Removed from team/disciplinary reasons

Kellen Jones
MLB
4 star
Transferred to Clemson

Nila Kasitati
TE moved to OL
3 star
Played in 11 of 12 games for OU

Bennett Okotcha
CB
3 star
Transferred to UTEP

Dan Tapko
DE
4 star
Left program

Jordan Phillips
DT
5 star
Played in 12 of 12 games for OU

Derrick Farniok
OL
3 star

Archie Bradley
QB
3 star
Signed MLB contract/no show at OU

Dylan Dismuke
OL
3 star
Injured before arriving/retired

Frank Shannon
S moved to LB
4 star
Suspended for 2014

Nathan Hughes
DE
5 star
Left program

Max Stevenson
TE
4 star
Left program

Brandon Williams
RB
5 star
Transferred to Texas A&M

Danzel Williams
RB
3 star
Transferred to Central Arkansas

Jordan Wade
DT
4 star
Played in 5 of 12 games for OU

P.L. Lindley
OLB
3 star
Played in 9 of 12 games for OU

Kendall Thompson
QB
3 star
Transferred to Utah

Kameel Jackson
WR
3 star
Left program

As you can see, only 5 of the 19 players are still on the team, and only a couple (Phillips & Kasitati) are real contributors. Frank Shannon is kind of an exception, but he wasn't available for 2014. Any way you look at it, that's bad.

2011 was the last time Bob really cleaned house within the coaching ranks. So, some of the departures were because of the change in coaching (Kellen Moore, for example, followed Venables to Clemson). However, even the guys that left didn't amount to much in the college football world. Brandon Williams transferred to Texas A&M, and has seen action for the Aggies, but I wouldn't call him a game changer or super star.

The bottom line is that the evaluations for the 2011 class were pretty bad in most cases (can't really say that for Archie Bradley, as he never played football. Or Dylan Dismuke, because he was injured before he ever had a chance to play). I think it's fair to say the evaluations, for a large part of the class, were pretty bad.

When you only have 5 out of 19 guys from a class, it's going to catch up to you. And it did this year.

Eielson
12/10/2014, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I was looking at this the other day, and was considering making a thread.

It's pretty impressive the amount of talent we had out there despite this, seeing as we should have gotten a lot of firepower from our oldest class. Jordan Phillips is the only real NFL guy on that list. Nila and Derrick might be key players for us next year on the O-line, as might Shannon at inside linebacker, but I don't think our win total would have changed at all had we completely removed this entire class. That's crazy.

birddog
12/10/2014, 11:04 PM
Not kellen Moore the qb. *kellen Jones* to Clemson right? Anyway to see who else was after these guys without losing your job?

8timechamps
12/11/2014, 12:07 AM
Yeah, I was looking at this the other day, and was considering making a thread.

It's pretty impressive the amount of talent we had out there despite this, seeing as we should have gotten a lot of firepower from our oldest class. Jordan Phillips is the only real NFL guy on that list. Nila and Derrick might be key players for us next year on the O-line, as might Shannon at inside linebacker, but I don't think our win total would have changed at all had we completely removed this entire class. That's crazy.

I know for a lot of folks this is just going to be an "excuse", but things like this can absolutely affect a season. There are a lot of players on that list that could have really helped this year (had they turned out the way they could have). Metoyer could have been huge this year, as could Okotcha. In the end, we were without almost an entire class. The recruiting evaluations that were going on in Shipps last year in Norman were almost nonexistent.

8timechamps
12/11/2014, 12:08 AM
Not kellen Moore the qb. *kellen Jones* to Clemson right? Anyway to see who else was after these guys without losing your job?

You're right, Kellen Jones. I had it right in the first list, then confused him later. It was Kellen Jones.

I can see who else was after them, it'll take a bit, but I'l post what I find.

ObiKaTony
12/12/2014, 04:46 PM
I know it's popular belief that OU isn't very good at recruiting, but the truth is we have done fine under Stoops. Some classes are better than others, but there's rarely been a "bad" recruiting class. If you weren't aware, the 2011 recruiting class was one of the "bad" ones. Not that we didn't land some quality talent, but there were many factors that lead to that class being almost nonexistent. Had that class panned out, those players would been R-Sophomores and juniors this year. Given that we were pretty damn young (especially on defense), it's pretty obvious that the 2011 class was partially responsible for this year's disappointment.

Every year, Stoops & staff brings in between 20-25 new recruits. Nobody expects every single one of those to become impact players, let alone super stars, but the 2011 class is woefully absent. Here's a look at that class along with current update on the players:

Player
Position
Rating
Status as of the 2014 season

Trey Metoyer
WR
5 star
Removed from team/disciplinary reasons

Kellen Jones
MLB
4 star
Transferred to Clemson

Nila Kasitati
TE moved to OL
3 star
Played in 11 of 12 games for OU

Bennett Okotcha
CB
3 star
Transferred to UTEP

Dan Tapko
DE
4 star
Left program

Jordan Phillips
DT
5 star

Derrick Farniok
OL
3 star

Archie Bradley
QB
3 star
Signed MLB contract/no show at OU

Dylan Dismuke
OL
3 star
Injured before arriving/retired

Frank Shannon
S moved to LB
4 star
Suspended for 2014

Nathan Hughes
DE
5 star
Left program

Max Stevenson
TE
4 star
Left program

Brandon Williams
RB
5 star
Transferred to Texas A&M

Danzel Williams
RB
3 star
Transferred to Central Arkansas

Jordan Wade
DT
4 star
Played in 5 of 12 games for OU

P.L. Lindley
OLB
3 star
Played in 9 of 12 games for OU

Kendall Thompson
QB
3 star
Transferred to Utah

Kameel Jackson
WR
3 star
Left program

As you can see, only 5 of the 19 players are still on the team, and only a couple (Phillips & Kasitati) are real contributors. Frank Shannon is kind of an exception, but he wasn't available for 2014. Any way you look at it, that's bad.

2011 was the last time Bob really cleaned house within the coaching ranks. So, some of the departures were because of the change in coaching (Kellen Moore, for example, followed Venables to Clemson). However, even the guys that left didn't amount to much in the college football world. Brandon Williams transferred to Texas A&M, and has seen action for the Aggies, but I wouldn't call him a game changer or super star.

The bottom line is that the evaluations for the 2011 class were pretty bad in most cases (can't really say that for Archie Bradley, as he never played football. Or Dylan Dismuke, because he was injured before he ever had a chance to play). I think it's fair to say the evaluations, for a large part of the class, were pretty bad.

When you only have 5 out of 19 guys from a class, it's going to catch up to you. And it did this year.

Great post...my question is where is all the talent now? Can we please get a linebacker with some God given talent. Gimme some Lehman, calmus, Marshall, and some Rufus ( would say Reynolds, but obviously injuries got em...) d lineman is just as bad...

soonergirlNeugene
12/12/2014, 05:16 PM
This has been helpful. Might you have similar info on classes preceding 2011 so we can compare personnel losses?

8timechamps
12/12/2014, 10:47 PM

Here ya go:

Player
Still @ OU?
Offers (other than OU)

Trey Metoyer
No
Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

Kellen Jones
No
Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, Colorado, Houston, Illinois, Kansas, Kansas State, Michigan, Missouri, Purdue, Stanford, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Wyoming

Nila Kasitati
Yes
Baylor, Duke, Oklahoma State, Rice, SMU, Tulsa, Utah

Bennett Okotcha
No
Baylor, Georgia, Minnesota, Notre Dame, TCU, Texas, Wake Forest, Wisconsin

Dab Tapko
No
Illinois, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Wisconsin

Jordan Phillips
Yes
Auburn, Colorado State, Kansas, Kansas State, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, UCLA

Derick Farniok
Yes
Kansas, Minnesota, UCLA, Wisconsin

Archie Bradley
No
Houston, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA

Dylan Dismuke
No
Arizona, Arkansas, Iowa State, Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Oregon State, Texas Tech, Tulsa

Frank Shannon
No
Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Texas A&M

Nathan Hughes
No
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, California, Duke, Florida State, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, LSU, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Purdue, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulane

Max Stevenson
No
Arizona, Baylor, California, Duke, Iowa State, LSU, Mississippi State, Minnesota, Missouri, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Rice, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulane, Virginia

Brandon Williams
No
Baylor, Houston, Kentucky, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

Danzel Williams
No
Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Minnesota, Oklahoma State, TCU, Tulsa

Jordan Wade
Yes
Baylor, Houston, Nebraska, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

P.L. Lindley
Yes
Baylor, Houston, Rice, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech

Kendall Thompson
No
Tulsa

Kameel Jackson
No
Kansas, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Tulsa

dwarthog
12/13/2014, 01:06 AM
Here ya go:

Player
Still @ OU?
Offers (other than OU)

Trey Metoyer
No
Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

Kellen Jones
No
Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, Colorado, Houston, Illinois, Kansas, Kansas State, Michigan, Missouri, Purdue, Stanford, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Wyoming

Nila Kasitati
Yes
Baylor, Duke, Oklahoma State, Rice, SMU, Tulsa, Utah

Bennett Okotcha
No
Baylor, Georgia, Minnesota, Notre Dame, TCU, Texas, Wake Forest, Wisconsin

Dab Tapko
No
Illinois, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Wisconsin

Jordan Phillips
Yes
Auburn, Colorado State, Kansas, Kansas State, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, UCLA

Derick Farniok
Yes
Kansas, Minnesota, UCLA, Wisconsin

Archie Bradley
No
Houston, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA

Dylan Dismuke
No
Arizona, Arkansas, Iowa State, Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Oregon State, Texas Tech, Tulsa

Frank Shannon
No
Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Texas A&M

Nathan Hughes
No
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, California, Duke, Florida State, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, LSU, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Purdue, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulane

Max Stevenson
No
Arizona, Baylor, California, Duke, Iowa State, LSU, Mississippi State, Minnesota, Missouri, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Rice, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulane, Virginia

Brandon Williams
No
Baylor, Houston, Kentucky, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

Danzel Williams
No
Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Minnesota, Oklahoma State, TCU, Tulsa

Jordan Wade
Yes
Baylor, Houston, Nebraska, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

P.L. Lindley
Yes
Baylor, Houston, Rice, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech

Kendall Thompson
No
Tulsa

Kameel Jackson
No
Kansas, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Tulsa

Wait a minute. I have it on good authority, this message board, we go head to head with North Texas State etc. I didn't see them in that list of schools.

I'm so confused.. :D

pappy
12/13/2014, 02:05 AM
We had 10 guys make all big 12 this year and 6 were on the 1st team. The talent is there...its the coaches who are lacking.

rock on sooner
12/13/2014, 10:46 AM
Strikes me as odd that four of those players "left the program". Do we know
why?....even rumors?

Since71ASooner4Life
12/13/2014, 11:06 AM
We had 10 guys make all big 12 this year and 6 were on the 1st team. The talent is there...its the coaches who are lacking.

Your point is pretty damning. With a 5-4 conference record that including two bad losses - one to a punk and one an *** stomping on our home field. Plus what should have been another loss to a punk wearing burnt orange. You would think such a team would have hardly anyone regarded as best at their position.

Thank God we don't play today - I cant take more humiliation this year

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/13/2014, 11:15 AM
To rehash a point that I've made several times over the last decade - when you change coaches, you tend to throw away their first 1 or 2 recruiting classes. My guess is the process works like this:

Year 1. Oooo, look at all the athletes that I can get now that I have OU by my name. Only evaluate based on [Athleticism/Talent], maybe grab some guy you really wanted at a previous school.
Year 2 - Similar recruiting pattern
Year 2 Spring Football - Wow this guy just can't figure this out and is terrible, maybe I need to change my evaluation patterns
Year 3 - New recruiting pattern

yermom
12/13/2014, 01:03 PM
How does this compare to someone like Alabama or Oregon?

AzianSooner
12/13/2014, 02:38 PM

This is a good question - please also throw in Baylor and FSU as well.

How does this class compare to Florida? is this also one of the main reason that Florida falling?

8timechamps
12/13/2014, 05:35 PM
Strikes me as odd that four of those players "left the program". Do we know
why?....even rumors?

Tapko was injured and "retired". Stevenson quit football altogether. Hughes hung around for a couple of years, but never did much. The coaches eventually moved him to the O-line, trying to find a spot for him, but it never really worked. He also gave up on football. Kameel Jackson actually quit football, then decided to play at a JUCO. He's actually looking to get back to D1 with Tennessee.

8timechamps
12/13/2014, 05:42 PM

Not sure what you're referring to, but only 3 Sooners made the AP All-conference first team:

Eric Striker
Samaje Perine
Daryl Williams

Second team included 4 Sooners

Tyrus Thompson
Sterling Shepard
Dom Alexander
Jordan Phillips

Second team doesn't mean much in the big picture, but first team guys are typically excellent players. We only had 3 this year. The second team guys are all very good, and I think Shepard would have been a lock for first team had he not gotten beat.

8timechamps
12/13/2014, 05:43 PM

I'll do some research, but I can tell you it's not even going to compare. In fact, it doesn't even compare to any other OU class under Stoops. It is extremely rare that only 5 members of a class remain on a team.

rock on sooner
12/13/2014, 06:53 PM
Not sure what you're referring to, but only 3 Sooners made the AP All-conference first team:

Eric Striker
Samaje Perine
Daryl Williams

Tyrus Thompson
Sterling Shepard
Dom Alexander
Jordan Phillips

Second team doesn't mean much in the big picture, but first team guys are typically excellent players. We only had 3 this year. The second team guys are all very good, and I think Shepard would have been a lock for first team had he not gotten beat.

I thought Sanchez made 1st team....I could be wrong, though...

8timechamps
12/13/2014, 09:21 PM
I thought Sanchez made 1st team....I could be wrong, though...

You're correct, he did make the first team. They have it so jumbled, he kinda blended in:

FIRST-TEAM OFFENSE:
Center: B.J. Finney, Kansas St., 6-4, 303, Sr., Andale, Kan.
Offensive line: Le'Raven Clark, Texas Tech, 6-6, 313, Jr., Rockdale, Texas; u-Spencer Drango, Baylor, 6-6, 310, Jr., Cedar Park, Texas; Mark Glowinski, West Virginia, 6-5, 312, Sr., Wikes-Barre, Pa.; Daryl Williams, Oklahoma, 6-6, 329, Sr., Lake Dallas, Texas.
Tight end: E.J. Bibbs, Iowa St., 6-3, 264, Sr., Chicago.
Receivers: Corey Coleman, Baylor, 5-11, 190, So., Richardson, Texas; Tyler Lockett, Kansas St., 5-11, 175, Sr., Tulsa, Okla.; Kevin White, West Virginia, 6-3, 210, Sr., Plainfield, N.J.
Running back: u-Samaje Perine, Oklahoma, 5-11, 243, Fr., Pflugerville, Texas.
Quarterback: u-Trevone Boykin, TCU, 6-2, 205, Jr., Dallas.
All-purpose: Tyreek Hill, Oklahoma St., 5-10, 185, Jr., Pearson, Ga.
Kicker: Josh Lambert, West Virginia, 5-11, 215, So., Garland, Texas.
SECOND-TEAM OFFENSE:
Center: Joey Hunt, TCU, 6-3, 295, Jr., El Campo, Texas.
Offensive line: Tayo Fabuluje, 6-7, 360, Sr., Euless, Texas.; Quinton Spain, West Virginia, 6-4, 332, Sr., Petersburg, Va.; Tyrus Thompson, Oklahoma, 6-5, 336, Sr., Pasadena, Texas; Cody Whitehair, Kansas St., 6-4, 309, Jr., Abilene, Kan.
Tight end: Jimmay Mudine, Kansas, 6-2, 240, Sr., Denison, Texas.
Receivers: John Harris, Texas, 6-3, 223, Sr., Garland, Texas; Curry Sexton, 5-11, 183, Sr., Abilene, Kan.; Sterling Shepard,5-10, 194, Jr., Oklahoma City.
Running back: Shock Linwood, Baylor, 5-9, 200, So., Linden, Texas.
Quarterback: Bryce Petty, Baylor, 6-3, 230, Sr., Midlothian, Texas.
All-purpose: Tyler Lockett, Kansas St., 5-11, 175, Sr., Tulsa, Okla.
Kicker: Jaden Oberkrom, TCU, 6-3, 187, Jr., Arlington, Texas.
FIRST-TEAM DEFENSE
Defensive line: Andrew Billings, Baylor, 6-2, 300, So., Waco, Texas; Malcom Brown, Texas, 6-2, 320, Jr., Brenham, Texas; Shawn Oakman, Baylor, 6-0, 280, Jr., Landsdowne, Pa.; Emmanuel Ogbah, Oklahoma St., 6-4, 270, So., Houston.
Linebacker: u-Paul Dawson, TCU, 6-2, 230, Sr., Dallas; Ben Heeney, Kansas, 6-0, 230, Sr., Hutchinson, Kan.; Pete Robertson, Texas Tech, Jr., 6-3, 236, Longview, Texas; Eric Striker, Oklahoma, 6-0, 221, Jr., Seffner, Fla.
Defensive back: Sam Carter, TCU, 6-1, 215, Sr., New Orleans; Chris Hackett, TCU, 6-2, 195, Jr., Tyler, Texas; Zack Sanchez, Oklahoma, 5-11, 179, So., Fort Worth, Texas; Orion Stewart, Baylor, 6-2, 200, So., Waco, Texas.
Punter: Trevor Pardula, Kansas, 6-5, 212, Sr., San Jose, Calif.
SECOND-TEAM DEFENSE
Defensive line: Chucky Hunter, TCU, 6-1, 305, Sr., West Monroe, La.; Ryan Mueller, Kansas St., 6-2, 245, Sr., Leawood, Kan.; Jordan Phillips, Oklahoma, 6-6, 334, So., Towanda, Kan.; Cedric Reed, Texas, 6-5, 272, Sr., Cleveland, Texas.
Linebacker: Dominique Alexander, Oklahoma, 6-0, 227, So., Tulsa, Okla.; Bryce Hager, Baylor, 6-2, 235, Sr., Austin, Texas; Jordan Hicks, Texas, 6-1, 234, Sr.; Cincinnati; Jonathan Truman, Kansas St., 5-11, 219, Sr., Kechi, Kan.
Defensive back: Quandre Diggs, Texas, 5-10, 195, Sr., Angelton, Texas; Karl Joseph, West Virginia, 5-11, 196, Jr., Orlando, Fla.; JaCorey Shepherd, Kansas, 5-11, 195, Sr., Mesquite, Texas; Nigel Tribune, Iowa St., 5-11, 185, So., Jacksonville, Fla.
Punter: Spencer Roth, Baylor, 6-5, 220, Sr., Knoxville, Tenn.
___
Offensive player of the year — Trevone Boykin, TCU.
Defensive player of the year — Paul Dawson, TCU.
Offensive newcomer of the year — Samaje Perine, Oklahoma.
Defensive newcomer of the year — Taylor Young, Baylor.

Soonerjeepman
12/15/2014, 05:19 PM
Tapko was injured and "retired". Stevenson quit football altogether. Hughes hung around for a couple of years, but never did much. The coaches eventually moved him to the O-line, trying to find a spot for him, but it never really worked. He also gave up on football. Kameel Jackson actually quit football, then decided to play at a JUCO. He's actually looking to get back to D1 with Tennessee.

funny, he was the one guy on your post about other offers that I thought actually had offers the I would put on an even keel with OU. A few had ND and Neb...but most of the other schools that offered the guys were below OU's standards (IMHO)...even though they were D1...maybe KSU could be in there.

Yes, nice these guys had D1 offers...but not from elite programs...except for a few.

8timechamps
12/15/2014, 05:47 PM
funny, he was the one guy on your post about other offers that I thought actually had offers the I would put on an even keel with OU. A few had ND and Neb...but most of the other schools that offered the guys were below OU's standards (IMHO)...even though they were D1...maybe KSU could be in there.

Yes, nice these guys had D1 offers...but not from elite programs...except for a few.

You have to remember that most of those guys are region (mostly Texas). So, they're being targeted more by the regional powers (and you can see that Missouri and Nebraska were prominent with a few). That's not unlike most recruits OU was going after at that time. Since then, we've expanded the scope quite a bit more, looking at more California and east coast kids now.

pappy
12/16/2014, 01:39 AM

Eric Striker
Samaje Perine
Daryl Williams

Tyrus Thompson
Sterling Shepard
Dom Alexander
Jordan Phillips

I hadn't seen what the media experts voted. I went off the Big 12 coaches vote. The coaches voted...1st team Perine, Shepard, Williams, Thompson, Striker and Sanchez ... 2nd team...Ripkowski, Shead, Ndulue and Phillips.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2014, 09:12 AM
There are about 3 or so classes from the last decade that have looked similar..Very little to show for.

And yet another reason I don't get much into recruiting.