PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody going to the bowl game?

Sooner in Tampa
12/10/2014, 01:58 PM
It seems like the majority of fans so disgusted with this season and that horrific ending to Bedlam that there will not be too many folks traveling to Orlando.

Is anybody going to make the trip? It's only a little over an hour away, so I damn sure need to make this game.

Soonerjeepman
12/10/2014, 02:04 PM
It would be a great vaca..either way...but no, my gooberment job doesn't pay enough. :apologetic:

ouduckhunter
12/10/2014, 02:09 PM
Husband is mildly interested in making the trip, but me not so much. It's driveable for us, so who knows.

Sooner in Tampa
12/10/2014, 02:11 PM
It would be a great vaca..either way...but no, my gooberment job doesn't pay enough. :apologetic:

Just think if you worked in the PRIVATE SECTOR :surprise:

badger
12/10/2014, 02:32 PM
If the bowl game was in Tulsa, I'd definitely go. So, if you're in the Orlando vicinity by all means go :)

I wonder what teams would do at a Tulsa bowl...

SoonerinSECland
12/10/2014, 02:33 PM
There is no way that I will go to this game. It's really the only recourse I have (other than not renewing my season tickets that I've had since I was a student - and that's not gonna happen) to protest what I feel has been ****-poor coaching this season. I love the Sooners and will continue to do so. It doesn't mean that I need to throw money their way every time they ask for it to reward a lackluster effort on the coaches' behalf.

Here's hoping that they get their stuff squared away and drive toward a strong 2015.

Tear Down This Wall
12/10/2014, 02:45 PM
Not interested in the Russell Socks and Shoes Bowl. I'm sure the players' parents and girlfriends will go.

badger
12/10/2014, 02:51 PM
Looks like the going rate is about $40 each. (http://www.stubhub.com/russell-athletic-bowl-tickets/) Not bad if you don't need airfare, hotel... and food :P

Tear Down This Wall
12/10/2014, 03:05 PM
There really are too many bowl games. I think with this bowl and others so positioned, the schools participating are pretty much lucky to break even after all is said and done. Surely, both OU and Clemson will take their football teams and bands. That's a lot of humans to pay for just right there with that batch of flesh to fly back and forth, room for a few days, and give per diems and whatnot.

Tear Down This Wall
12/10/2014, 03:05 PM
Laundry money and sundries...it all adds up.

oudanny
12/10/2014, 03:15 PM
The wife and I are going but only because it is in Orlando. We have made reservations for Disney World for New Year's Eve as well. I really don't expect much of a game.

Sooner in Tampa
12/10/2014, 03:18 PM
The wife and I are going but only because it is in Orlando. We have made reservations for Disney World for New Year's Eve as well. I really don't expect much of a game.

Disney World on New Year's Eve??? That joint is CRAZY!!! They usually fill the park by mid-afternoon. We did it one year...crossed it off of the bucket list, and I will maybe do it again one day when I have grandchildren.

okiewaker
12/10/2014, 03:20 PM
I would if I didn't use up all this years vacations. I was sure we would be playing in a bowl game sometime after the 31st. I get a new set of fresh downs on the 1st an was planning on going to whatever bowl when the new year arrived, but,,,,Nooooooo.

Pride1Mom
12/10/2014, 03:22 PM
Too far away. I refuse to fly any more. I like to take my golf clubs, but the last time we flew the bags were torn into. Stupid, as we were going to a golf resort! And they could x-ray them.....

badger
12/10/2014, 03:25 PM
Disney World on New Year's Eve??? That joint is CRAZY!!! They usually fill the park by mid-afternoon. We did it one year...crossed it off of the bucket list, and I will maybe do it again one day when I have grandchildren.

I was amazed at how crowded Disneyland was right before OU's Rose Bowl (the band got to march in a parade). At least we got to see some awesome choreographed fireworks

TAFBSooner
12/10/2014, 03:52 PM

My ex-wife and I went to Disney World New Years Eve before the OU-Nebraska Orange Bowl. Once was enough.

birddog
12/10/2014, 03:56 PM
Never had the chance to make a bowl game and I'm confident I'm not missing out on this one.

kbsooner21
12/10/2014, 04:01 PM
No way.

8timechamps
12/10/2014, 06:02 PM
I'm debating it.

I've been to about a dozen bowl games, and the ONLY time I didn't enjoy myself was the title game in New Orleans. Even with the loss I would have enjoyed the trip, but the LSU fans were so awful it ruined it completely.

I went to the Insight bowl a few years ago and had as much fun as I've had at just about any bowl game. What made it so much fun was the cost. Since it wasn't a premier bowl, the tickets, travel, etc. was much cheaper than a BCS or title game. We had amazing seats and got to be on the sidelines when the team came out for warm-ups.

I'm leaning toward going, but still not sure.

cvsooner
12/10/2014, 06:51 PM
As a serious Disney person (living about 100 miles from Disneyland and an annual passholder for over a decade), never ever go to Disneyland or WDW between Christmas and New Year's. Seriously. It is the single busiest week at both properties. Absolutely crazy.

If I was going to Orlando for the game (I'm not...but headed there a week later for the WDW Marathon...wish me luck!), I'd spend some time at Universal, with its two parks and the new Harry Potter attractions, if you're into that sort of thing. Also it's worth driving to Canaveral (about 40 miles away) to go see NASA. That's a great experience and well worth the drive and the cost.

Wonder if Gerald McCoy might wander over from Tampa to the game?

Southeast Sooner
12/10/2014, 06:58 PM
The Wife and I are going, our daughter lives in Panama City. We'll get to spend a couple of days with her. Not looking for much of a game tho. Hope we get decent seats. Getting them thru OU.

mojorisen2014
12/10/2014, 07:48 PM
I wouldn't go to watch that debacle even if was all paid for.

Snrinhouston
12/10/2014, 08:02 PM
There is no way that I will go to this game. It's really the only recourse I have (other than not renewing my season tickets that I've had since I was a student - and that's not gonna happen) to protest what I feel has been ****-poor coaching this season. I love the Sooners and will continue to do so. It doesn't mean that I need to throw money their way every time they ask for it to reward a lackluster effort on the coaches' behalf.

Here's hoping that they get their stuff squared away and drive toward a strong 2015.

Smart man. I'm with you. The more tickets the school has to return, the more likely that Boren and Castiglione will light a fire under Bob. There is no motivation if ticket revenue and merchandizing doesn't suffer.

Therealsouthsider
12/10/2014, 10:30 PM
....Nope, spent enough this year for a crappy product

ss

Soonerfan88
12/11/2014, 12:10 AM
I was planning on it until I looked at airfare. Because it's the weekend after Christmas, prices are way too high for me and I don't have time to drive. It will only be the 2nd bowl game I've missed under Stoops - didn't go in 1999 either.

EatLeadCommie
12/11/2014, 12:13 AM
I couldn't even tell you what the bowl is called, that's how much I care. Kind of like the Iowa bowl game a few years ago.

yermom
12/11/2014, 05:23 AM
been to 12 out of the last 13. it is looking unlikely that i'll go, but not because of the team. although, if this was a real game or not in Orlando, i'd most likely be making more of an effort to get there

Aries
12/11/2014, 01:06 PM
If the bowl game was in Tulsa, I'd definitely go. So, if you're in the Orlando vicinity by all means go :)

I wonder what teams would do at a Tulsa bowl...

Spend the whole first half looking for a place to park. :)

Soonerjeepman
12/11/2014, 01:07 PM
Just think if you worked in the PRIVATE SECTOR :surprise:

lol...yup.

Soonerjeepman
12/11/2014, 01:10 PM
I'm debating it.

I've been to about a dozen bowl games, and the ONLY time I didn't enjoy myself was the title game in New Orleans. Even with the loss I would have enjoyed the trip, but the LSU fans were so awful it ruined it completely.

I went to the Insight bowl a few years ago and had as much fun as I've had at just about any bowl game. What made it so much fun was the cost. Since it wasn't a premier bowl, the tickets, travel, etc. was much cheaper than a BCS or title game. We had amazing seats and got to be on the sidelines when the team came out for warm-ups.

I'm leaning toward going, but still not sure.
no doubt..the ONE time I get to go to a bowl...the BIG one at that....those fans are the biggest a-holes anywhere.

cvsooner
12/11/2014, 01:35 PM
lol...yup.

If you did, you probably wouldn't get the time off to go, either.

GrndPaSnr
12/11/2014, 02:22 PM
Cant see spending money to travel over 800 miles to watch Stoops,Heupel,BJW get out coached again.

Sooner in Tampa
12/11/2014, 02:25 PM
no doubt..the ONE time I get to go to a bowl...the BIG one at that....those fans are the biggest a-holes anywhere.

I went to the BIG one when we played Saint Tebow and his Gaytors...the UF fans were not bad at all, a couple of doosh bags here and there. I had a great time...with the exception of the final outcome. AND I it was awesome running into Leroy Selmon after the game...damn what a great man...RIP Leroy.

Sooner in Tampa
12/15/2014, 10:08 AM
Well, we got tix @ $41 a seat. Damn cheap game, we in the first level right above the tunnel that OU will presumably enter from...

Not overly excited about the game right now, but I am sure on game day that will change...me and 4 wimmens goin...hell if that ain't a good time!!

olevetonahill
12/15/2014, 10:40 AM
Well, we got tix @ $41 a seat. Damn cheap game, we in the first level right above the tunnel that OU will presumably enter from...

Not overly excited about the game right now, but I am sure on game day that will change...me and 4 wimmens goin...hell if that ain't a good time!!

4 Wimmens? Thats an Orgy Bro.
enjoy yerself. Now that everyone is healthy for the game(lets hope they stay that way) I see us winning nicely

Phil
12/15/2014, 11:31 AM
Yeah, I'll be there. #300 in a row.

olevetonahill
12/15/2014, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I'll be there. #300 in a row.

:welcoming:

Sooner in Tampa
12/15/2014, 02:50 PM
4 Wimmens? Thats an Orgy Bro.
enjoy yerself. Now that everyone is healthy for the game(lets hope they stay that way) I see us winning nicely

Hahaha...maybe...if'in a couple of them weren't my daughters :02.47-tranquillity:

Oh, and I heard parking at this shindig is the SUCK!!!

PalmBeachSooner
12/18/2014, 05:33 PM
I actually went to the Citrus Bowl back in the late 80's when we played Clemson. I think the final score was like 13-7 Clemson. I remember OU had a huge pass play late in the game that would have been a touchdown but the ball was under thrown and the receiver's knee touched.

I expect this version of OU vs. Clemson to be similar score wise. Clemson's offense is pretty bad and I imagine Clemson's defense will stifle our offense for the most parts.

Orlando is way too crowded this time of year so there's that to look forward to as well.

Sounds like good times to be had by all. :confused:

soonergirlNeugene
12/18/2014, 05:50 PM
I went to every bowl game under Stoops until USC. That trip was entirely too expensive. Paying that much to watch the team straight up quit on the field forced me to do some cost-benefit analysis.

SoCalBigRed
12/18/2014, 09:50 PM
I wouldn't waste a dime on that product.

If someone gave me tickets and I lived within reasonable driving distance, I might go.

Otherwise, waste of time, gas, money. They couldn't give that extra effort in the big games, why should we as fans give that extra effort to attend something that means absolutely nothing, except hoping no one vital to next year, gets hurt. Then hoping, it might actually mean something, that they don't get hurt... or if you're just kidding yourself again.

Snrinhouston
12/19/2014, 01:22 PM
Hell no, I'm not going. And that's because I care too much about OU football. Why enable mediocrity? I am convinced that only when attendance, merchandizing, and fundraising suffer will Boren and Castiglione act.

pappy
12/20/2014, 01:53 AM
No way! Not for this years "effort." I have the vacation days and the ability to attend, but nah, I'll watch it from the recliner.

pappy
12/20/2014, 01:54 AM
If Stoops doesn't make any changes to his coaching staff we'll be having a similar discussion about a crap bowl game next year.

EmDiggy
12/26/2014, 05:47 PM
FBGP's Russell Athletic Bowl Preview (http://footballgameplan.com/football-gameplans-2014-russell-athletic-bowl-preview-oklahoma-vs-clemson/)

Good evening Sooner fans! Good luck in the bowl game!

Em

BoulderSooner79
12/26/2014, 07:04 PM
FBGP's Russell Athletic Bowl Preview (http://footballgameplan.com/football-gameplans-2014-russell-athletic-bowl-preview-oklahoma-vs-clemson/)

Good evening Sooner fans! Good luck in the bowl game!

Em

Thanks for the link, EM! Nice to view something about the bowl game instead of reading the incessant b.itchin' and moanin' over the disappointing season. Several points in that guys analysis makes me think he didn't do a huge amount of research for that piece, but still interesting to hear from a 3rd party. I really would *like* to see Blake Bell get involved early and often, but I would not have put that in my analysis. :D

Sooner in Tampa
12/29/2014, 10:09 AM
Loading up the truck in a little over an hour...

BOOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!