PDA

View Full Version : CIA Report:Exposing The Stain On America

FaninAma
12/10/2014, 10:34 AM
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2014/12/10/exposing_the_cias_stain_on_america_124914-comments.html

Was this a good and necessary action by the Democrats? My opinion has vascillated about this issue since I realized the report would be coming out. I am all for transparency in our government. I do admire the Democrats for going up against the entrenched intelligence apparatus in this country(don't know how smart politically it was). On the other hand we are talking about 3 terrorists who were water boarded including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the mastermind of 9-11 and the guy who personally beheaded Daniel Pearl. And the action will certainly deter Presidents from giving the go ahead with "enhanced interrogation techniques" in the future.

Sooner in Tampa
12/10/2014, 11:36 AM
Why does the American Public need to know this? What will be the upside of releasing this report?

The bottom line is that releasing this will only put American lives in danger...it gives the zealots yet another reason to 'rage' against us. The government could have keep this out of the public eye AND still handled it. I am quite sure that the majority of folks within the government do not endorse many actions reported.

dwarthog
12/10/2014, 11:58 AM
Sen Bob Kerry has a different view on the release of this report.

His view is his fellow Dems started from the perspective that the CIA was guilty, and then set out to create a report that supported their preconceived view.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2014/12/09/torture-cia-senate-intelligence-report-911-column/20088647/

Sooner8th
12/10/2014, 12:14 PM
Why does the American Public need to know this? What will be the upside of releasing this report?

The bottom line is that releasing this will only put American lives in danger...it gives the zealots yet another reason to 'rage' against us. The government could have keep this out of the public eye AND still handled it. I am quite sure that the majority of folks within the government do not endorse many actions reported.

On another thread conservatives bitched about not being transparent on a trip, even through the cost is right there. Now you are bitching that we are too transparent. Make up your minds.

FaninAma
12/10/2014, 12:32 PM

I am all for releasing information on how our government functions but i would like to know about both sides of the story. The Senate Democrats took no testimony from any of the participants at the CIA OR the various CIA directors. That smacks of blatant partisanship and a desire to release an attack on the previous administration.

Sooner in Tampa
12/10/2014, 01:41 PM
On another thread conservatives bitched about not being transparent on a trip, even through the cost is right there. Now you are bitching that we are too transparent. Make up your minds.

Are you that fvcking stupid? Really? We are talking about men and women out there dealing with very bad people...people that would make you piddle in your Spiderman underoos! They deserve cover for the operations they carry out...this is not a pub vs. dem discussion unless the liberal fvcks go there. IDGAF who released this...it is wrong!!

Sooner in Tampa
12/10/2014, 01:51 PM
I am all for releasing information on how our government functions but i would like to know about both sides of the story. The Senate Democrats took no testimony from any of the participants at the CIA OR the various CIA directors. That smacks of blatant partisanship and a desire to release an attack on the previous administration.

I am, as well...BUT there are certain things that should just not be open for every Tom, Dick, and Harry to view...especially when it comes to matters of national security and the methods for which we do business. There are committees to oversee these people...and unfortunately they have been overcome by the same partisan politics that are suffocating this country.

OU68
12/10/2014, 02:11 PM
This is total political BS. Do bad things ever happen in combat or in espionage? Well, duh. Are we to confess that every bad thing that has ever happened to anybody is our fault??? Saw one TV report that said one of the detainees was "threatened with an electric drill, but was not touched with the drill". Wow, did they call his mother names too? This country is so far off the rails I'm not sure it can come back.

FaninAma
12/10/2014, 02:15 PM
I also find it interesting that the Democrats are all over the "horrible things" the CIA did to known terrorists and yet seem to have amnesia when it comes to theorders from their President to send Hellfire missiles into crowds of people in an attempt to get a single or handful of suspected terrorists. That is one reason I think this is partisan.

Turd_Ferguson
12/10/2014, 02:41 PM
Trust me, the DIM's have an agenda behind this...not sure what, but they do.

dwarthog
12/10/2014, 03:36 PM
Probably related to their recent "overwhelming" defeat in the mid-terms and a desire to get a jump start on setting the "truth" with regard how the historical record will reflect on their actions at some point down the line.

TAFBSooner
12/10/2014, 06:12 PM
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2014/12/10/exposing_the_cias_stain_on_america_124914-comments.html

Was this a good and necessary action by the Democrats? My opinion has vascillated about this issue since I realized the report would be coming out. I am all for transparency in our government. I do admire the Democrats for going up against the entrenched intelligence apparatus in this country(don't know how smart politically it was). On the other hand we are talking about 3 terrorists who were water boarded including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the mastermind of 9-11 and the guy who personally beheaded Daniel Pearl. And the action will certainly deter Presidents from giving the go ahead with "enhanced interrogation techniques" in the future.

That is its main purpose, and I hope it works. It would also improve the country if the CIA were brought under the rule of law.

Three terrorists waterboarded. How many were "rectally fed?"

Should we just all be OK with the CIA lying to the (Bush) White House, and to Congress, about what they were doing?

TAFBSooner
12/10/2014, 06:16 PM

Because they are doing it in our name.

Does nobody here get that this is also an idictment on Obama for not investigating, and if appropriate prosecuting, these crimes in 2009?

If you don't want blowback, keep a handle on the CIA in the first place.

TAFBSooner
12/10/2014, 06:17 PM
I am, as well...BUT there are certain things that should just not be open for every Tom, Dick, and Harry to view...especially when it comes to matters of national security and the methods for which we do business. There are committees to oversee these people...and unfortunately they have been overcome by the same partisan politics that are suffocating this country.

The committees couldn't do their jobs because the CIA lied to them, even more than they lied to the White House.

Sooner8th
12/10/2014, 06:51 PM
Are you that fvcking stupid? Really? We are talking about men and women out there dealing with very bad people...people that would make you piddle in your Spiderman underoos! They deserve cover for the operations they carry out...this is not a pub vs. dem discussion unless the liberal fvcks go there. IDGAF who released this...it is wrong!!

The first line in the first post was this Was this a good and necessary action by the Democrats? I guess faninama is a liberal fvck. You are truly a fvcking dumbass little boy.

SoonerorLater
12/10/2014, 09:54 PM
^^^^^^ troll alert ^^^^^
displaying pathological type reactions

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/10/2014, 11:42 PM
“Mr. President, I rise in support of the release – the long-delayed release – of the Senate Intelligence Committee’s summarized, unclassified review of the so-called ‘enhanced interrogation techniques’ that were employed by the previous administration to extract information from captured terrorists. It is a thorough and thoughtful study of practices that I believe not only failed their purpose – to secure actionable intelligence to prevent further attacks on the U.S. and our allies – but actually damaged our security interests, as well as our reputation as a force for good in the world.

“I believe the American people have a right – indeed, a responsibility – to know what was done in their name; how these practices did or did not serve our interests; and how they comported with our most important values.

“I commend Chairman Feinstein and her staff for their diligence in seeking a truthful accounting of policies I hope we will never resort to again. I thank them for persevering against persistent opposition from many members of the intelligence community, from officials in two administrations, and from some of our colleagues.

“The truth is sometimes a hard pill to swallow. It sometimes causes us difficulties at home and abroad. It is sometimes used by our enemies in attempts to hurt us. But the American people are entitled to it, nonetheless.

“They must know when the values that define our nation are intentionally disregarded by our security policies, even those policies that are conducted in secret. They must be able to make informed judgments about whether those policies and the personnel who supported them were justified in compromising our values; whether they served a greater good; or whether, as I believe, they stained our national honor, did much harm and little practical good.

“What were the policies? What was their purpose? Did they achieve it? Did they make us safer? Less safe? Or did they make no difference? What did they gain us? What did they cost us? The American people need the answers to these questions. Yes, some things must be kept from public disclosure to protect clandestine operations, sources and methods, but not the answers to these questions."

“But in the end, torture’s failure to serve its intended purpose isn’t the main reason to oppose its use. I have often said, and will always maintain, that this question isn’t about our enemies; it’s about us. It’s about who we were, who we are and who we aspire to be. It’s about how we represent ourselves to the world."

http://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=1a15e343-66b0-473f-b0c1-a58f984db996

yermom
12/11/2014, 05:03 AM
not sure why you would quote that RINO

FaninAma
12/11/2014, 09:41 AM
That is its main purpose, and I hope it works. It would also improve the country if the CIA were brought under the rule of law.

Three terrorists waterboarded. How many were "rectally fed?"

Should we just all be OK with the CIA lying to the (Bush) White House, and to Congress, about what they were doing?

I tend to agree. I have always been for more openess in the way the government conducts its business. I do not like the partisan approach here because there are so many things the Democrats don't want to be made public like the use of drones to kill American citizens, the role of the Fed in saving the big bankers and how they manipulate the markets in secrecy, and the role of the IRS in targeting political opponents. I suspect the Democrats opened up a whiole can of worms that they may regret. I, however, will relish every dirty little underhanded deed that gets outed regardless of which political party is hurt.

Serenity Now
12/11/2014, 02:57 PM

Because he's earned the right to be quoted on the issue. Hell, he's the one person that I've seen speaking to the issue that has done so.

This is not partisan crap.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/11/2014, 03:48 PM
This is all about Feinstein giving the finger to the CIA... nothing more.

OU68
12/11/2014, 08:04 PM
Because he's earned the right to be quoted on the issue. Hell, he's the one person that I've seen speaking to the issue that has done so.

Please tell me you don't really believe that. A former CIA Director called the report a 'prosecutorial skreed'.

8timechamps
12/11/2014, 08:36 PM
I'm fine with the release of the report. I do have to question the timing, but regardless I think it needed to be made public.

I don't really buy into the "this will only put our people in harm's way" argument. If you're working/living in an area known for radical violent behavior, then you better have your head on a swivel. It's not like the ones looking to kill American's need another reason, they are already actively trying to do just that. As for military personal, again, if you're deployed in a hot area, you damn sure better have your guard up.

I'm still on the fence when it comes to "enhanced interrogating techniques", because I do believe it can be useful in certain situations, however, since our leaders came out and said "we don't do that", and we were among the organizing countries to establish the Geneva convention guidelines, we need to adhere to them. Of course the slimy ****s that are looking to do us harm have no issue with doing those things (and worse) to us, but war isn't fair.

It's not that dissimilar to the whole NSA ordeal. You can always use the "if it saves one American life, it's worth it" argument, but it really doesn't wash in the end.

SoonerProphet
12/11/2014, 08:42 PM
We have turned into a nation of cowards. Eager to run to the hills in fright of that next boogeyman guised as an "ism". Giving up our liberties, freedom, and identity as a hearty folk capable of defending our hearth and home. When we don't have principles and morals, then we have nothing.

The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them. Patrick Henry

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/12/2014, 12:49 AM

Because I give his words a little more authority than the average bloviating politician since unlike the rest, he has experienced torture first-hand.

Because he's willing to cross so-called party lines on this issue. To my disgust, I see few politicians that have the balls to cross the party line on any issue, no matter what common sense might dictate. Absolutely no attempts to compromise from either side. The Missouri Compromise, however doomed to fail, was just that, a compromise. Neither side got what they wanted. But compromise is so a century and a half ago, apparently.

Our Congress is supposed to represent we the people, not them the party, and in theory at least, work for what's best for the citizenry as a whole rather than what's best for the party. But they don't. The party is the priority, not the people. Both parties are guilty of this.

Finally, because I agree with him. I don't see this as a partisan issue either. It's an American issue. We are supposed to be the good guys, the standard of freedom for the rest of the world. If we are justifying doing **** like this for whatever reason, what gives us the moral authority to call out other countries for whatever heinous practices we don't agree with? Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

And with that I will kick myself in the *** now from here to Sunday for breaking my personal rule against arguing politics with strangers on the internets, for that way lies madness. I blame insomnia.

Carry on.

olevetonahill
12/12/2014, 01:04 AM
Heh^

Now this LOL
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/1896773_10205593195732029_8448560245716952637_n.jp g?oh=dc208ffedbd75e0d5b0fe65825c801ba&oe=550BBD88&__gda__=1427205635_cbe1bc0d86b5e16e1aec1031c9fafe9 a

SanDiegoSoonerGal
12/12/2014, 01:20 AM
Are you mocking me, Vet?

That picture breaks my heart. Long ago I lived in Manhattan. I could see the World Trade Center from my street even though it was distant. Lost New Yorkers used it as a guidance tool--where's the WTC? Okay then that's south (downtown), we need to turn around and go north (uptown).

I remember the first attack on it, the bomb in the underground parking lot, walking down the street and thinking that's odd, why does the WTC look so dark as if there are no lights on in it? It was a cloudy, gloomy day and the WTC should have been glowing.

I remember 9/11 oh so well, watching the TV coverage and seeing through the smoke that one of the towers was gone. Then the other one fell. I thought I would never be happy again.

I remember all that and I still believe the USA should be the good guys who unlike other countries don't torture people.

With that I'm really out of here and kicking my own *** even harder from here to Sunday.

TAFBSooner
12/12/2014, 02:29 PM
Because I give his words a little more authority than the average bloviating politician since unlike the rest, he has experienced torture first-hand.

Because he's willing to cross so-called party lines on this issue. To my disgust, I see few politicians that have the balls to cross the party line on any issue, no matter what common sense might dictate. Absolutely no attempts to compromise from either side. The Missouri Compromise, however doomed to fail, was just that, a compromise. Neither side got what they wanted. But compromise is so a century and a half ago, apparently.

Our Congress is supposed to represent we the people, not them the party, and in theory at least, work for what's best for the citizenry as a whole rather than what's best for the party. But they don't. The party is the priority, not the people. Both parties are guilty of this.

Finally, because I agree with him. I don't see this as a partisan issue either. It's an American issue. We are supposed to be the good guys, the standard of freedom for the rest of the world. If we are justifying doing **** like this for whatever reason, what gives us the moral authority to call out other countries for whatever heinous practices we don't agree with? Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

And with that I will kick myself in the *** now from here to Sunday for breaking my personal rule against arguing politics with strangers on the internets, for that way lies madness. I blame insomnia.

Carry on.

I believe yermon was being tongue in cheek. Check the posting record.

PS - For insomnia, I recommend Atlas Shrugged. The internets will just raise your blood pressure.

hawaii 5-0
12/12/2014, 04:35 PM
I'm all for any opportunity to see Dlck Cheney lie to the American people once again.

It's already a deep hole.

5-0

Turd_Ferguson
12/12/2014, 04:48 PM
I'm all for any opportunity to see Dlck Cheney lie to the American people once again.

5-0

When did you see him lie before?

rock on sooner
12/12/2014, 07:43 PM
Most every time he opened his mouth!

rock on sooner
12/12/2014, 07:45 PM
I'll come back later to this issue. I've got mixed emotions about it, but, I
truly believe that Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz and, to, some extent, W
all meet the standard of war criminals.....jmo....

Turd_Ferguson
12/12/2014, 09:26 PM

Yes, so you've told us a couple a thousand times. You sound like my burnt out tote the line DIM father in law...

Turd_Ferguson
12/14/2014, 11:18 AM
Hey, Rock. Your pal Cheney is on Meet the Press and is making minced meat out of Chuck Todd. Tune in!

olevetonahill
12/14/2014, 12:20 PM

5-0

Most every time he opened his mouth!

Thats ALL Politicians, LOL

rock on sooner
12/14/2014, 06:10 PM
Hey, Rock. Your pal Cheney is on Meet the Press and is making minced meat out of Chuck Todd. Tune in!

1. He aint my pal...
2. I watched it and listened to it..
3. No matter how he spins (oops, sorry..) with Iraq and WMD
He's still a criminal (never mind his shotgun stuff!)...
4. That is the most animated I've ever seen a VP defending his
position,
5. And, having said that, gotta hand to a weak heart to get so
exercised.

No matter what, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wofowitz and maybe W, got
damned close, if not actually, the war crime thing. TF, no way
to say it any other way....

And, BTW, it's not a couple of thousand, just a few dozen...heh...
Oh, and I wish more "guests" would stand up to all these TV folks..
sure can't knock Cheney for being tuff....

swardboy
12/15/2014, 09:11 AM

You treat McCain as if he's the ONLY voice from the military on this subject. Hardly. And it's hardly the voice that speaks for his contemporaries. News alert: He's spent most of his life being a POLITICIAN.

FaninAma
12/15/2014, 10:19 AM

But not for torturing enemy combatants. They should be brought up on charges of wasting American lives in the stupid and futile effort of attempting to bring order to a centuries old sectarian war in a region where violence and hatred are the pillars of the culture.

If the Bush administration is charged for torturing suspected terrorists then march Obama in right behind them for the colateral killing of civilians his drone strikes caused.

TAFBSooner
12/15/2014, 12:49 PM
But not for torturing enemy combatants. They should be brought up on charges of wasting American lives in a stupid and futile effort attempting to bring order to a centuries old sectarian war in a region where violence and hatred is a part of the culture.

If the Bush administration is charged for torturing suspected terrorists then march Obama in right behind them for the colateral killing of civilians his drone strikes caused.

All of the above, including torture. Even if you somehow don't see torture as immoral, it's also against international treaties that the US signed. Treaties are established in the Constitution as part of the supreme law of the land.

I would add Obama should face additional charges for failing to prosecute Bush, Cheney, et al for getting us in to the Iraq War as well as for torture.

olevetonahill
12/15/2014, 12:56 PM
All of the above, including torture. Even if you somehow don't see torture as immoral, it's also against international treaties that the US signed. Treaties are established in the Constitution as part of the supreme law of the land.

I would add Obama should face additional charges for failing to prosecute Bush, Cheney, et al for getting us in to the Iraq War as well as for torture.

Then yer sayin ya want kerry and Billiary prosecuted as well? Plus any other Politician who voted to go into Iraq?

FaninAma
12/15/2014, 01:44 PM
Then yer sayin ya want kerry and Billiary prosecuted as well? Plus any other Politician who voted to go into Iraq?
No, just the ring leaders.

hawaii 5-0
12/15/2014, 02:42 PM
I don't know if anything done by the CIA is totally aboveboard.

Benghazi ? CIA operation.

Lying to Congress? No problem.

I'm surprised at the continued outrage. Those Spooks have never been honest with anyone whether it's been Congress, the White House or the Pentagon.

5-0

TheHumanAlphabet
12/16/2014, 10:13 AM
Wow... what a skewed view...

TheHumanAlphabet
12/16/2014, 10:16 AM
You treat McCain as if he's the ONLY voice from the military on this subject. Hardly. And it's hardly the voice that speaks for his contemporaries. News alert: He's spent most of his life being a POLITICIAN.

McCain is a washed up has been turd sucking politician who just needs to go away and retire to his front porch watching the sun set...

Though I honor his service and sacrifice, he just needs to enjoy his wife's alcohol vending money and enjoy AZ.