PDA

View Full Version : Any injury updates?

olevetonahill
12/9/2014, 08:08 PM
?

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2014, 08:56 PM
The only thing I saw was a quote from Perine saying he would be back in 2 weeks (ankle sprain). I'm not betting my mortgage on it.

cvsooner
12/9/2014, 09:13 PM
I believe he said 'couple of weeks' but yeah, that's pretty much it. Everybody should get two weeks off and then bowl prep begins. We're about as banged up as we were in 2011 at the Insight Bowl. Looks like Clemson is pretty dinged as well--they're trying to decide if they'll let their emerging star frosh QB have his torn ACL repaired and scratch him for this game, or let him play. Seems like an easy decision to me. With the way our D is playing, I'd put him under the knife and start rehabbing for next year.

8timechamps
12/9/2014, 11:57 PM
I don't think we'll have any official word until Stoops does his next press conference (with won't be for another week or so).

The game is only 19 days away, so prep should start Monday. I suspect he'll have a press conference with updates then.

Soonerjeepman
12/10/2014, 12:29 AM
The game is only 19 days away, so prep should start Monday. I suspect he'll have a press conference with updates then.

lol..yup, that's what I was thinking...not a jan bowl like usual...

olevetonahill
12/10/2014, 10:45 AM
I don't think we'll have any official word until Stoops does his next press conference (with won't be for another week or so).

lol..yup, that's what I was thinking...not a jan bowl like usual...

So then I can turn off my Satilite TeeVee earlier this year, Yea me

FaninAma
12/10/2014, 03:36 PM
My call in question tonight: Will TK and Bob's badly bruised ego be back to form by the bowl game? Thanks, I'll hang up and listen off the air.

soonergirlNeugene
12/13/2014, 05:02 PM
Knight has been cleared to play. I don't know a lot about that particular injury he suffered, but was clearing him a matter of something healing or more an issue of time since his injury occurred?

birddog
12/13/2014, 05:07 PM
Prolly just giving venables something to think about before this massively important bowl game.

soonergirlNeugene
12/13/2014, 05:09 PM
I'd kinda like to see them give Bell one last start under center. Though if he thinks he would have better chances of getting drafted as a TE, I guess that would be better for him.

BoulderSooner79
12/13/2014, 05:39 PM
This is great news - especially knowing that TK has not suffered a career ending injury. This also give us a much better chance of competing in the bowl game. Now if we can follow up with good news on Perine and Shepard, we might even win this dang thing.

BoulderSooner79
12/13/2014, 05:41 PM
I'd kinda like to see them give Bell one last start under center. Though if he thinks he would have better chances of getting drafted as a TE, I guess that would be better for him.

Yes, Bell needs to be all in on the TE thing. Not that one game would make a big difference, but I'm sure his reps were limited at QB both in number and the percentage of the offense it covered.

8timechamps
12/13/2014, 05:48 PM
Knight has been cleared to play. I don't know a lot about that particular injury he suffered, but was clearing him a matter of something healing or more an issue of time since his injury occurred?

I've covered this in another thread, but what it boiled down to was Knight being comfortable enough (without pain) to play. The only thing holding him back was spasms and pain from the injury. It was a matter of the swelling going down enough that it took the pressure off his nerve roots. Fortunately, the chances that this type of injury reoccurs are slim. Just a freak thing on a dirty play.

soonergirlNeugene
12/13/2014, 06:09 PM
I hope it's as slim as you say. I would feel absolutely sick if it reoccurred.

8timechamps
12/13/2014, 09:22 PM
I hope it's as slim as you say. I would feel absolutely sick if it reoccurred.

It was basically a "stinger". No fractures, and no narrowing of the spinal column were found. Just a bad hit, at a bad angle.

The play should have been flagged, but that's for a different thread.

soonergirlNeugene
12/13/2014, 09:41 PM
It was basically a "stinger". No fractures, and no narrowing of the spinal column were found. Just a bad hit, at a bad angle.

On replay, it's clear the second tackler did strike him in the facemask with his forearm but that looked incidental, certainly not what I'd consider a malicious hit. They probably didn't need the second guy to bring him down but our guys would have done the same thing trying to force a fumble or just to ensure the sack. It's not as surprising as say either of White's ACL injuries were, but it didn't seem like the kind of hit that would cause that much damage. Idk, maybe that injury just freaks me out more than it should.

olevetonahill
12/13/2014, 11:25 PM
On replay, it's clear the second tackler did strike him in the facemask with his forearm but that looked incidental, certainly not what I'd consider a malicious hit. They probably didn't need the second guy to bring him down but our guys would have done the same thing trying to force a fumble or just to ensure the sack. It's not as surprising as say either of White's ACL injuries were, but it didn't seem like the kind of hit that would cause that much damage. Idk, maybe that injury just freaks me out more than it should.

Watch it again, Two of em had him down when Oakman came in and Clipped TK on the chin with his elbow on purpose !

BoulderSooner79
12/13/2014, 11:26 PM

It looked like TK was trying to hold his head up as his body went horizonal and that left his neck at a weird angle when the second guy hit him. No spinal stenosis was detected in x-rays, so I'm not surprised the dire predictions of a career injury were not true. I'm sure there are other reasons symptoms like this can lead to a player quitting football, but spinal stenosis seems to be the big one we hear about. I'm just glad he is healthy and I trust the doctors and coaches are being very conservative with this. I hope a 2nd tier bowl game would not be motivation to push the limit here.

olevetonahill
12/13/2014, 11:41 PM
Heres the Vid, Cheap shot thru an thru! he was down with 2 defenders on him when Oakman lead in with the Elbow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPk2rd_hfNk

8timechamps
12/14/2014, 12:32 AM

It was a dirty hit by Oakmon, and it's the cause of the injury as best I can tell. I keep saying it was a "freak" injury because the blow happened at a time when TK was contorted. Just a series of events that led to a freak injury.

Without going into a long diatribe, I suffered a similar injury that ended my football career. Later in life, I re-injured the same area (skiing accident) and ended up having many surgeries and a long recovery from partial paralysis. Since that occurred, I've educated myself on anything/everything spinal cord related (specifically the cervical spine), with emphasis on spinal cord injuries as they relate to football. I'm not a medical person, but serve on two youth football boards in my area and coordinate educational seminars with a local spinal cord and brain injury specialty hospital. I've spent years researching these kinds of things.

With TK's injury, it all came down to an injury to his nerve root (which extends from the spinal cord through the vertebrae. Any injury in that area, with enough force, will insult the cord itself. That's where the temporary paralysis came from. After the MRI was done, they found no damage to the cord/column itself...which is the good news. So, it was just a matter of treating TK for the pain and spasms he was dealing with.

During the course of his testing (MRI, etc.), the neurologist look for a narrowing of the spinal column (called stenosis). Had they discovered stenosis in his spine, his playing says would have been over. A lot of guys end up leaving the game because of that reason (Ben Habern is the most recent Sooner to retire with stenosis). When the spine is narrow like that, one blow can force the column itself into the spine and cause permanent paralysis. In TK's case, it was 'just' a compression of the nerve.

8timechamps
12/14/2014, 12:35 AM
It looked like TK was trying to hold his head up as his body went horizonal and that left his neck at a weird angle when the second guy hit him. No spinal stenosis was detected in x-rays, so I'm not surprised the dire predictions of a career injury were not true. I'm sure there are other reasons symptoms like this can lead to a player quitting football, but spinal stenosis seems to be the big one we hear about. I'm just glad he is healthy and I trust the doctors and coaches are being very conservative with this. I hope a 2nd tier bowl game would not be motivation to push the limit here.

That's exactly why the injury happened. Had he "ragdolled" it, he would have been sore the next day, but would probably wouldn't have suffered the same injury. Just a really odd occurrence.

Yes, Stenosis is the big one. I had no idea I had it until I re-injured my neck in a skiing accident. I told my neurologist about my old football injury and he said I was lucky, given the stenosis in my cervical spine, one bad hit would have caused major issues. That's why NFL teams put rookies through a major physical before they step on the field. Just in case.

olevetonahill
12/14/2014, 12:40 AM
Still wouldnt mind coming up behind Oakman with a Baseball bat!

BlownGP
12/14/2014, 01:30 AM

Going to need a big one, dudes a monster.

Glad TK is ok...

Maybe Oaktree will get karma in the bowl game.

soonergirlNeugene
12/14/2014, 02:10 AM
Eesh, yeah the replay I saw was in poor resolution. And I was at the game, so it was really hard to tell how it happened from up in the stands (yes we were still there). Definitely would have been flagged in the NFL.

OkieThunderLion
12/15/2014, 12:11 PM
TK in
Hayes in
Grissom out
Shead ?
Perine and Shep will try, 50/50

rock on sooner
12/15/2014, 04:45 PM

Heh, I'll hop around in front of him (8-10 feet away) to distract him....
he'll be laffin' his a$$ off at an ol' fart dancing & dissin.....

BoulderSooner79
12/15/2014, 05:02 PM
TK in
Hayes in
Grissom out
Shead ?
Perine and Shep will try, 50/50

So, we have a 50/50 chance of TK having someone to hand-off to and/or throw to?

OkieThunderLion
12/18/2014, 12:18 AM
So, we have a 50/50 chance of TK having someone to hand-off to and/or throw to?

75%!

olevetonahill
12/18/2014, 01:05 AM
Perine is in, Shep is still a Maybe but very possible he plays.

8timechamps
12/18/2014, 02:39 PM
Hayes is a 'maybe'. He's practicing, but not at full speed.