PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Game

soonergirlNeugene
12/7/2014, 04:09 PM
ESPN is saying Russell Athletic Bowl vs an ACC team. Probably Clemson.

I guess we get to find out whether we are better at Clemsoning than they are.

Tear Down This Wall
12/7/2014, 04:23 PM
Wow. If they match us with Clemson and their defense shuts us down...how many "Brent Venables needs to be fired" heads will explode.

I might actually cheer for Clemson.

blacktop
12/7/2014, 06:06 PM
Do we have an update on when & where, .....and who?

blacktop
12/7/2014, 06:23 PM
Russell Athletic ..... got it.

olevetonahill
12/7/2014, 06:41 PM
Russell Athletic ..... got it.

29th against Clemson. BVs defense will slap us silly.

rock on sooner
12/7/2014, 06:48 PM
29th against Clemson. BVs defense will slap us silly.

Only seen Clemson a couple of times since BV went there...wonder if they
can stop the run, since we have an all-world O-line, best in college football,
yada yada.....do have to say, though, that Ford looked pretty good and carried
the ball a little closer to the body. If it's on the 29th and I don't know anything
about Perine's injury, gotta look fer Ford and Ross!

birddog
12/7/2014, 06:54 PM
That's cool for me as bad as this season's been. We'll see if the coaches can put a plan together in 3 weeks. But I'm not that optimistic. If Perine has a high ankle sprain it's hard to see him gettin health that soon.

8timechamps
12/7/2014, 06:58 PM
The last time the Sooners played Clemson:

1988 Citrus Bowl
Lost 13-6
Switzer's last game

Charles Thompson started the game at QB, got injured and Holieway came in. He was still not 100% and played terrible.

We had no idea what was in store after that game. That was the beginning of the worst era of Sooner football (At least in my lifetime).

Let's hope after this one things get better.

REDREX
12/7/2014, 07:08 PM
I know people ----that played in the game----that say Holieway threw the game

BoulderSooner79
12/7/2014, 07:35 PM
Seems like a fair match up given our lack of accomplishments. They have had QB problems as bad as we have having to rely on a FR that can't stay healthy. I think he is out for good. I see a low scoring, boring and disappointing game, so you can bank on a shootout :D

Snrinhouston
12/7/2014, 07:35 PM
I may actually root for Clemson to throttle OU. That may be what's needed to ensure the necessary changes to get back to competing for National Championships.

BoulderSooner79
12/7/2014, 07:44 PM
Clemson is #1 in total defense and #7 in rushing defense. I know it's just the ACC, but still impressive. And if Perine has one of those dreaded high ankle sprains… Let's not go there.

BlownGP
12/7/2014, 09:16 PM
We had no idea what was in store after that game. That was the beginning of the worst era of Sooner football (At least in my lifetime).

LOL. Aint that the truth

I'm only 31 and my dad went to OU. That's why I'm a sooner fan, but I remember him recording every game in the 90s on VHS. It seemed every time they played they lost. It was horrible. lol

EatLeadCommie
12/7/2014, 09:22 PM
Clemson is #1 in total defense and #7 in rushing defense. I know it's just the ACC, but still impressive. And if Perine has one of those dreaded high ankle sprains… Let's not go there.

The offenses in the ACC are pathetic. Wake is one of the worst offensive teams in the history of the sport. They did play FSU, but that was a Jameis-less FSU.

That said, I'm not expecting much from the offense unless we get some people healthy and Josh comes up with some great gameplan like he did against Alabama.

rock on sooner
12/7/2014, 09:36 PM
I may actually root for Clemson to throttle OU. That may be what's needed to ensure the necessary changes to get back to competing for National Championships.

While I can understand your frustration with this season, I honestly do not
believe a true Sooner fan would root for any team to throttle the Sooners.
I find it offensive that you would even post the idea. I have suffered through
Gomer Jones and John Blake, even Gundy, although not THAT bad...but I
have NEVER rooted for any team to beat the Sooners. The board is anonymous,
free speech and all that jive, but, no, never.....I am civil enough to NOT tell
you what you can do with that idea...just my humble opinion....

8timechamps
12/7/2014, 09:39 PM
I know people ----that played in the game----that say Holieway threw the game

I was at that game, and I find it hard to believe he threw the game. First, he wasn't supposed to play (he hadn't played for the entire last half of the season). So, there was no way he could have known he would even get in, or if he did, if it would matter.

He tried to play hard, he just didn't have the same ability. We knew we were in trouble when Thompson got taken off the field and Holieway limped into the huddle. That Clemson team was pretty damn good that year and I think they ended up in the top 5 (maybe top 10).

I suppose anything's possible though.

8timechamps
12/7/2014, 09:43 PM
LOL. You aint that the truth

I'm only 31 and my dad went to OU. That's why I'm a sooner fan, but I remember him recording every game in the 90s on VHS. It seemed every time they played they lost. It was horrible. lol

I recorded many of the away games in the early 90s. The reason he (and I) recorded the games was because of the TV ban the NCAA slapped on us. However, someone (I think someone Switzer was working with, or was close to) found a loophole in the ruling. The NCAA said we couldn't be televised live...they didn't say we couldn't ever be televised. So, the game would start, then about 45 minutes later, the tape delay broadcast would start. So, as long as you didn't talk to anyone listening to the game on the radio, you could still watch the game as if it were live.

TV bans were horrible, and they didn't last long. The NCAA ended up punishing the opposing teams as much as the team that got in trouble.

Eielson
12/7/2014, 09:45 PM
Cody Thomas is throwing for over 300 yards. Calling it right now!

(If TK doesn't play)

8timechamps
12/7/2014, 09:47 PM
Cody Thomas is throwing for over 300 yards. Calling it right now!

(If TK doesn't play)

Surely Shepard will be healthy by then...

Sabanball
12/7/2014, 10:00 PM
ESPN is saying Russell Athletic Bowl vs an ACC team. Probably Clemson.

I guess we get to find out whether we are better at Clemsoning than they are.

Lol that's funny. Dabo Sweeney was part of the coaching staff that got us on probation back in the early 2000s. . If you all play them then I hope you beat them like a drum.

Eielson
12/7/2014, 10:09 PM
Surely Shepard will be healthy by then...

It's just destiny. TK did it last year as a rsFR, and Landry went for 400 as a rsFR.

OUmillenium
12/7/2014, 10:34 PM
How could and why would Holieway "throw the game"? He almost made the game winning pass if I recall?

BlownGP
12/7/2014, 11:34 PM
I recorded many of the away games in the early 90s. The reason he (and I) recorded the games was because of the TV ban the NCAA slapped on us. However, someone (I think someone Switzer was working with, or was close to) found a loophole in the ruling. The NCAA said we couldn't be televised live...they didn't say we couldn't ever be televised. So, the game would start, then about 45 minutes later, the tape delay broadcast would start. So, as long as you didn't talk to anyone listening to the game on the radio, you could still watch the game as if it were live.

TV bans were horrible, and they didn't last long. The NCAA ended up punishing the opposing teams as much as the team that got in trouble.

Interesting.. Did not know anything about that.