PDA

View Full Version : 2 SEC Teams

Piware
12/7/2014, 12:54 PM
College Playoffs: Alabama, Oregon, Florida State and Ohio State. Baylor & TCU came in #5 and 6

Eielson
12/7/2014, 12:58 PM
Alabama is the only SEC team.

BlownGP
12/7/2014, 12:58 PM
Just proves if we only had one lose we wouldn't have got in. Guess we could look at it that way in this crappy season.

And that guy on selection team keeps avoiding the question about why did Baylor and TCU get left out . Kept directing it about Ohio state. Lol

Therealsouthsider
12/7/2014, 01:00 PM
....screw tcu and baylor, they buy their players....I hope they never win ****

ss

Sooner91ATL
12/7/2014, 01:06 PM
either baylor or tcu would get smoked by any of those teams in the top 4. TCU barely beat us fergodsakes.

yermom
12/7/2014, 01:09 PM
two things tanked the Big 12 this year

no conference game, and not declining the running into the kicker penalty

if OU drubs OSU like we are supposed to, Baylor and TCU look way better

Eielson
12/7/2014, 01:17 PM
I don't like it, but it was the right call. Baylor lost too late in the season, and TCU lost to Baylor (shouldn't have, but it happened). tOSU showed they deserve to be in the playoofs last night, Oregon avenged their only loss in brutal fashion, and FSU was undefeated. You already knew SEC was getting their team in.

BoulderSooner79
12/7/2014, 01:19 PM
two things tanked the Big 12 this year

no conference game, and not declining the running into the kicker penalty

if OU drubs OSU like we are supposed to, Baylor and TCU look way better

Haha, that's a good one. I doubt the committee even paid any attention to OU post Baylor game.

I'm sure the lack of a CCG hurt, but TCU would have been in it had they not melted down the last 10 minutes vs. Baylor. An undefeated, clear champion would have done the trick.

bluedogok
Playing the Sisters of the Poor and East Popcorn State in the non-conference in addition to no CCG killed both Baylor and TCU.

BAYLOR 2015 SCHEDULE
Sept. 5 - at SMU
Sept. 12 - Lamar
Sept. 26 - Rice
Oct. 3 - vs. Texas Tech (Arlington, Texas)
Oct. 10 - at Kansas
Oct. 17 - West Virginia
Oct. 24 - Iowa State
Nov. 5 - at Kansas State
Nov. 14 - Oklahoma
Nov. 21 - at Oklahoma State
Nov. 27 - at TCU
Dec. 5 - Texas

Sept. 3 – at Minnesota
Sept. 12 – Stephen F. Austin
Sept. 19 – SMU
Sept. 26 – at Texas Tech
Oct. 3 – Texas
Oct. 10 – at Kansas State
Oct. 17 – at Iowa State
Oct. 29 – West Virginia
Nov. 7 – at Oklahoma State
Nov. 14 – Kansas
Nov. 21 – at Oklahoma
Nov. 27 – Baylor

That non-conference will do neither team any favors, Minnesota is the only quality team in the non-conference. The TCU-Baylor game being late would help them if they are in the position again.

SicEmBaylor
....screw tcu and baylor, they buy their players....I hope they never win ****

ss

lol, you're a ****ing idiot.

Therealsouthsider
12/7/2014, 01:25 PM
lol, you're a ****ing idiot.

....thanks for the spek, lick me

ss

UteSooner
12/7/2014, 01:41 PM
Selection committee confirms that Big 12 sucks. I wish we could move conferences. But how sad are we at 4th in the standings. Inviting 2 crap programs just for a championship game is worse than what we have now. Just blow it up. The desireables land in a superconference. The undesireables. ..well, who gives a crap.

Piware
12/7/2014, 01:45 PM
Alabama is the only SEC team.
Thanks E. I plead insanity. I'm still a little bummed but probably nowhere near Baylor & TCU fans.

bluedogok
12/7/2014, 01:55 PM
Selection committee confirms that Big 12 sucks. I wish we could move conferences. But how sad are we at 4th in the standings. Inviting 2 crap programs just for a championship game is worse than what we have now. Just blow it up. The desireables land in a superconference. The undesireables. ..well, who gives a crap.
What I took from the interviews is not that the Big 12 sucks, it's that it is not similarly constructed as the other conferences with a CCG. Playing a pathetic non-conference schedule was just as much if not more to blame.

I don't see how "blowing things up" is going to move anything forward, the other major conferences seem pretty well set. Might be time to add teams but it seems like since the addition of WVU the natural move would be to go east/midwest but since Louisville went to the ACC the choices in that area are limited to AAC teams. Maybe add BYU and CSU but that would be stretching the conference across the country. They really waited too long to expand because they didn't want to split revenue, it shows money is more important than competitive balance and a seat at the big boys table.

FaninAma
12/7/2014, 01:57 PM
The rest of the nation views the Big 12 as a mediocre conference......and they are right.

Therealsouthsider
12/7/2014, 02:01 PM
....the whole 'one true champion' thingy wasn't any help either, it's cheesy and begs of attention

....the big 12 would have been better off going full-blown Olympics and just bought off the judges

ss

bluedogok
12/7/2014, 02:01 PM
The rest of the nation views the Big 12 as a mediocre conference......and they are right.
Only because Baylor and TCU are the bell cows now, insert OU and UT in that position and the perception is different and one of them is in the playoff. It also doesn't really matter what the "rest of the nation" thinks as most fans are idiots, after all Arkansas fans seem to cheer for conference before team.

FaninAma
12/7/2014, 02:05 PM
Boren and the OU administration have backed themselves into a corner that will be hard to get out of. As perception becomes reality I fully expect the Big 12 to plumb the depths of the god-awful Big East before its remaining decent programs left. WV is probably kicking themselves realizing they could have been in the ACC if they hadn't panicked and jumped for the false hope coming from the Big 12 league office.

EatLeadCommie
12/7/2014, 02:08 PM
The thing that kills the Big XII is that both OU and Texas suck so nobody takes Baylor or TCU seriously. That and the Big XII didn't get in front early and say that in the event of a 2 way tie they would support the head-to-head winner. Ohio State got in on the strength of one game and because their name is Ohio State. Simple as that. They lost to freaking Virginia Tech for crying out loud. The same VT team that lost 6-3 in double overtime to a Wake Forest team that is on par with SMU this year.

The new conference President is failing early tests. If he thinks bringing in Memphis and Cinci is going to strengthen the conference, then I guess he's looking at basketball.

FaninAma
12/7/2014, 02:13 PM
The thing that kills the Big XII is that both OU and Texas suck so nobody takes Baylor or TCU seriously. That and the Big XII didn't get in front early and say that in the event of a 2 way tie they would support the head-to-head winner. Ohio State got in on the strength of one game and because their name is Ohio State. Simple as that. They lost to freaking Virginia Tech for crying out loud. The same VT team that lost 6-3 in double overtime to a Wake Forest team that is on par with SMU this year.

The new conference President is failing early tests. If he thinks bringing in Memphis and Cinci is going to strengthen the conference, then I guess he's looking at basketball.
No, the thing that kills the Big 12 is that OU and Texas are the only marquee progams with star power in the league. That means if one or both of them suck then nobody gas about the conference.

Every other P-5 conference has more than 2 marquee programs. The ACC might be the exception and you see how little respect FSU got all year. A 1 loss ACC team would not have made the tournament, either.

EatLeadCommie
12/7/2014, 02:21 PM
No, the thing that kills the Big 12 is that OU and Texas are the only marquee progams with star power in the league. That means if one or both of them suck then nobody gas about the conference.

Every other P-5 conference has more than 2 marquee programs. The ACC might be the exception and you see how little respect FSU got all year. A 1 loss ACC team would not have made the tournament, either.

The first part of your post is pretty much what I said. The ACC gets no respect because it sucks, plain and simple. It has for years. FSU gets no respect because it has limped through a lame conference. It had nobody before FSU joined in 92, then FSU dominated it for years, and when they attempted to make it a credible football conference by adding VT and Miami, both those programs went into the toilet.

SicEmBaylor
12/7/2014, 02:21 PM
I'm done worrying about Baylor football and arguing about this asinine bull**** committee, its decision, and our ****ing braindead inept asshat of a conference commish. I'll start caring again on January 1st.

SoonerorLater
12/7/2014, 02:22 PM
This should tell us what we need to know about the playoff committee. The Big 12 would have had to produce an undefeated team to participate. It's like giving the Big 10, PAC and SEC a mulligan.

Eielson
12/7/2014, 02:33 PM
Bowlsby messed up not naming Baylor the conference champ. That's the one issue I have.

I do kinda question putting tOSU in there a little bit, though. It's not just about running the score up in the final game. TCU and tOSU had a common opponent in Minnesota, and TCU beat them much worse. It's a little weird that they jumped TCU. That poll is apparently meaningless until the final one.

yermom
12/7/2014, 02:34 PM
our conference needs at least 12 teams to add a CCG game and more non-conference games

it really limits the SOS when you have 9 conference games. it would help a fair amount for one of the wins for each team to not have to come from someone else in the conference

yermom
12/7/2014, 02:36 PM
Haha, that's a good one. I doubt the committee even paid any attention to OU post Baylor game.

I'm sure the lack of a CCG hurt, but TCU would have been in it had they not melted down the last 10 minutes vs. Baylor. An undefeated, clear champion would have done the trick.

there was at least some discussion about records vs ranked teams. they both lost a ranked team that they beat from that discussion

freshchris05
12/7/2014, 02:37 PM
Sucks to not be in the inaugural playoff but hey at least we aren't TCU or Baylor. Where even at your best no one wants you.

yermom
12/7/2014, 02:44 PM
it probably didn't help that Baylor couldn't even beat UCF at the end of last year, and way more TVs want to watch tOSU than Baylor or TCU

i would not be surprised to see this cause either the Big 12 to add teams, or the playoff get expanded, or both

the process already sucks though. they have the same problem the Coaches/AP poll have with basing the poll on the previous poll and not the teams themselves

IamBigRed
12/7/2014, 02:44 PM
According to the talking heads on espn we can have a championship game with 10 teams. We have to apply for an exception and they said it would most likely be granted. I don't know how they would determine the who plays, I assume the top two teams. So would you want a championship game with just 10 teams?

Eielson
12/7/2014, 02:46 PM
Honestly, this works out great for us. Next year, if we're sitting at 11-1, we're going to get in most likely, because they owe our conference. Additionally, we don't have to worry about TCU and Baylor stealing more of our recruits.

bluedogok
12/7/2014, 02:48 PM
Bowlsby messed up not naming Baylor the conference champ. That's the one issue I have.

I do kinda question putting tOSU in there a little bit, though. It's not just about running the score up in the final game. TCU and tOSU had a common opponent in Minnesota, and TCU beat them much worse. It's a little weird that they jumped TCU. That poll is apparently meaningless until the final one.
It's not a "poll" in the traditional sense and more of a snapshot at that time. The committee probably shouldn't even release anything until the weekend the decision is made, just let the AP and whatever they call the UPI poll this week have their weekly release since they have little relevance now and is being used as merely a comparison.

Eielson
12/7/2014, 02:48 PM
According to the talking heads on espn we can have a championship game with 10 teams. We have to apply for an exception and they said it would most likely be granted. I don't know how they would determine the who plays, I assume the top two teams. So would you want a championship game with just 10 teams?

In this situation, yes. We want one. If TCU had beat Baylor, though, it would be bad.

If we could somehow have a "if two teams have one loss or less" CCG, that would be great.

SoonerorLater
12/7/2014, 02:51 PM
our conference needs at least 12 teams to add a CCG game and more non-conference games

it really limits the SOS when you have 9 conference games. it would help a fair amount for one of the wins for each team to not have to come from someone else in the conference

I'm pretty sick of this CCG thing. The Big 12 has been criticized and most likely penalized in the rankings for not having a championship game but we are prevented by the rules from doing so. How is this fair thing? For the longest time we had a championship game and the PAC and Big 10 did not. Neither the PAC or Big 10 seemed to think not having a CCG was a big deal then.

BoulderSooner79
12/7/2014, 02:51 PM
I'm done worrying about Baylor football and arguing about this asinine bull**** committee, its decision, and our ****ing braindead inept asshat of a conference commish. I'll start caring again on January 1st.

Chin up, SicEm. That PR compaign worked! You guys did jump over TCU.

EatLeadCommie
12/7/2014, 02:55 PM
Honestly, this works out great for us. Next year, if we're sitting at 11-1, we're going to get in most likely, because they owe our conference. Additionally, we don't have to worry about TCU and Baylor stealing more of our recruits.

Funniest thing I've read in years!

Eielson
12/7/2014, 03:00 PM
Funniest thing I've read in years!

Your life sounds awful.

winout
12/7/2014, 03:02 PM
TCU getting knocked out is bogus. Probably just a play for more TV set with OSU in there. Basically, TCU played a Big X team and by the committees own admission only lost to another top 10 ten whereas OSU lost to a team not in the top 20.

Call it what you want, ESPN influence or coastal bias it just doesn't make sense based on last weeks standings.

Sabanball
12/7/2014, 03:04 PM
The message from the committee to the big 12 seems to be:"get your act together, get the two additional teams and have a CCG." That being said, I really wish their was a way that OU could affiliate with the sec at some point in the future. Unfortunately I just don't see it ever happening under your current leadership, who seems to have a hate on for the sec

winout
12/7/2014, 03:09 PM
The message from the committee to the big 12 seems to be:"get your act together, get the two additional teams and have a CCG." That being said, I really wish their was a way that OU could affiliate with the sec at some point in the future. Unfortunately I just don't see it ever happening under your current leadership, who seems to have a hate on for the sec

Get your act together though a mid-tier former member makes the SEC championship game 2 of 3 years!!!

Sabanball
12/7/2014, 03:17 PM
Get your act together though a mid-tier former member makes the SEC championship game 2 of 3 years!!!

Yep--and to think that could have been you guys! It's no secret that Slive offered an invitation to Boren first. Mizzou was our second choice.

Eielson
12/7/2014, 03:23 PM
Yep--and to think that could have been you guys! It's no secret that Slive offered an invitation to Boren first. Mizzou was our second choice.

If we were to go somewhere alone, I think it would be to the SEC. We're not going anywhere without OSU and UT, though, and it doesn't sound like you offered to take all 3.

SoonerorLater
12/7/2014, 03:24 PM

....and I wish we would have gone. Of course that seems to be a minority opinion. We are chain ganged to OSU.

Sabanball
12/7/2014, 03:26 PM
If we were to go somewhere alone, I think it would be to the SEC. We're not going anywhere without OSU and UT, though, and it doesn't sound like you offered to take all 3.

I agree. The more realistic thing is probably for the big 12 to expand. I say go after Houston and Colorado State.

Sabanball
12/7/2014, 03:30 PM
....and I wish we would have gone. Of course that seems to be a minority opinion. We are chain ganged to OSU.

I understand the symbiotic relationship and alliance between OU and T**as, but I don't get how you are tied up and bound to OSU.

Eielson
12/7/2014, 03:37 PM
I agree. The more realistic thing is probably for the big 12 to expand. I say go after Houston and Colorado State.

Our issue this year was having teams like TCU and Baylor being the head of our conference rather than OU, Texas, Nebraska, etc. I can't imagine the issues we'd have if schools like Houston and CSU had success in our conference.

I think that Big XII or ACC has to crumble under this system, or we'll expand to an 8 team playoff. You just can't fit five into four. I would love for FSU to get screwed out of a couple playoffs due to being in a weak conference, and then head off to the Big XII with Miami (or another team).

Eielson
12/7/2014, 03:45 PM
I understand the symbiotic relationship and alliance between OU and T**as, but I don't get how you are tied up and bound to OSU.

I think we CAN be separated from them. Kind of like how we survived being separated from Nebraska. It's just not ideal. OU vs OSU is a REALLY big deal for us students. Over the last 4 or 5 years, the actual game has honestly been bigger than OU-Texas. OU-Texas will always be a bigger overall event, though, as we get a day off of school and spend the whole weekend in Dallas.

soonergirlNeugene
12/7/2014, 03:47 PM
I don't think we should have to expand. There's no need for a conference championship if everyone plays each other. Adding 2 more teams also means adding divisions. And regardless of how they are done, it will eventually mean a strong division vs a weaker one. So at the end of the year you'll have that matchup vs a paper tiger (See: Mizzou - they are hilariously still filling this role in their new conference) but you may not even wind up playing against the best team in that division. And then the #2 team in the conference is going to have a complaint because they were left out of the CCG.

Anyone who thinks the Big 10 is anywhere close to the level of the Big 12 either at the top or in depth is quite possibly drinking a lethal amount of kool-aid. This move was one of two things (and possibly both). The Playoff Committee could have been trying to send a message about needing to name one conference champion rather than leaving the decision to them to select one representative out of co-champs. Or it could have been about money and clout. That is the only quality Ohio State and the Big 10 in particular have an advantage in.

That said, if we HAVE to add 2, neither should come from the state of Texas. Recruiting is getting crowded enough there as it is. If we take anyone else, it should be another power-5 team.

Eielson
12/7/2014, 03:58 PM
I honestly don't think we need to expand at all. We just need to keep from having TCU playing ISU in the final weekend.

Next year, we need something along the lines of:

OU vs. OSU
TCU vs Baylor
Texas vs K-State

Last year, beating OSU vaulted us into the Sugar Bowl. It's really not about having a CCG. It's about playing a quality opponent in the last week to impress. I would say that the Big XII dropped the ball with scheduling, but I'm not sure anybody expected TCU to be a top 10 team this year.

Baylor vs KSU would have worked perfectly had tOSU not beaten Wisconsin by 59 points. Baylor vs KSU was essentially a North vs South game.

SoonerorLater
12/7/2014, 04:05 PM

Actually OU did just fine without being in the same conference as Texas. We have had an annual game scheduled with them long before there was ever a Big 12 conference. We would still have a game with Texas if we left the Big 12 tomorrow. While Texas is considered the bell cow they still benefit by having a perceived equal foe in the conference like OU. Kind of like George Clooney and Brad Pitt. Together they just exude more star power than either alone.

OSU thing is different. There are different dynamics working. In a nutshell it is purely political. The Board of Regents, who are appointed by the governor, understand that by letting OU leave the conference without taking OSU, would result in OSU being left in a dying conference. They are not going to let this happen.

Tear Down This Wall
12/7/2014, 04:20 PM
The Big 12 is barely better than the AAC. No way in the world were Baylor or TCU going to get in once FSU and Ohio State won.

And, Baylor will probably get smoked again in the bowl. The only thing that saves TCU from the same fate is that their head coach actually realizes that defense is part of football. So, TCU could win their bowl game.

SoonerorLater
12/7/2014, 04:36 PM
Objectively I have no idea why Ohio St. would go into the playoffs over Bayor or TCU. I can make a stronger case for Baylor. Ohio St does not have as good of a win as Baylor has and Ohio St has a worse loss. To me this is the Committee making the outcome they wanted happen based on perceptions and televison ratings.

bluedogok
12/7/2014, 04:45 PM
The Big 12 isn't pulling anyone from a Power 5 conference, it is going to have to be an independent or someone from a next tier conference because they sat on the sidelines and let the other decent teams were already picked up.

More than likely if they did a North/South split again OU and OSU would be in the north, a Texas division and everyone else division and the one "rivalry game" like the SEC has done. Part of the problem with the old configuration was OU-Nebraska not playing each other yearly. One thing is Texas would have to give up the LHN, of course ESPN may be willing to pull the plug on that failed experiment if they converted it into a Big 12 Network.

Possible independent/mid-majors.
BYU
Boise State
Colorado State
Houston
Cincinnati (wouldn't that **** Tuberville off)

Possible considerations but way down the list.
Marshall
UCF
USF
LA Tech

SoonerForLife92
12/7/2014, 04:48 PM
This is absolute non-sense that Baylor and TCU were left out

soonergirlNeugene
12/7/2014, 04:52 PM
What's to keep the B12 from making a move on a Power 5 school? Only the B12 and the ACC have imposed harsh grant of right penalties on their members. I was reading an article not too long ago that recommended we go after the Arizona schools. That doesn't seem like a bad option imo. If we're adding, then it's a perception issue. Last thing we need is to be adding another couple of crummy directional schools.

aero
12/7/2014, 04:53 PM
We don't need 2 other teams. We need 4 other teams. Unfortunately, when all the expansion took place a few years back almost all the decent teams got picked off. There's not much left unless you could lure a team from one of the other power conferences which is unlikely. Maybe La Tech, Boise St., BYU, UCF Cinci, Colorado St..... Not great teams but maybe as good as what is available. And try to get teams with locations that may equate to recruiting inroads. I don't think we need any more Texas teams for recruiting. I used to hate the conf. championship game because many times it seemed like only a catch game to ruin the season. But if the B12 is going to survive and prosper it needs one again. I think OU needs the challenge as much as anyone. Time to step up and let your play do the talking.

soonergirlNeugene
12/7/2014, 05:05 PM
Can we just... Can someone change the title of this thread? It's kind of embarrassing that someone thought FSU was a SEC school. Besides, it increases the likelihood that we'll get an influx of chicken littles with low reading comprehension. Though I guess that would be mildy amusing in its own right, I'm still a bit too hungover from last night to deal w/ that mess.

Piware
12/7/2014, 05:37 PM

We are far less tied to Texas than we are the Pukes. It is an Oklahoma Board of Regents thing. In spite of the blustering about their billionaire benefactor, the OSU Athletic Department does not generate enough revenue to be self supporting - never has and probably never will. The Athletic Department at OU (not just football) is completely self supporting and actually contributes money to academics. The Regents have to consider this on a state wide institutional level and have wanted no part of it in the past.

FaninAma
12/7/2014, 06:14 PM
Now there are 2 marquee programs. I don't understand why one of the other P-5 conferences haven't snapped them up yet.

In all seriousness, taking refugee programs from the old WAC conference helps them tremendously but does nothing but make the Big 12 more mediocre. They add no value to the Big 12 brand.

8timechamps
12/7/2014, 07:10 PM

The NCAA rule says 12 teams minimum for a CCG. However, that rule was written a while ago, when there wasn't a Power 5 structure. If the Big XII went to the NCAA and said "we're going to only have 10 teams and we're going to play a CCG" then the NCAA wouldn't have much of a choice.

SoonerorLater
12/7/2014, 08:39 PM
The NCAA rule says 12 teams minimum for a CCG. However, that rule was written a while ago, when there wasn't a Power 5 structure. If the Big XII went to the NCAA and said "we're going to only have 10 teams and we're going to play a CCG" then the NCAA wouldn't have much of a choice.

What would be the point other than to placate the ESPN crowd? Everybody would have already played every other team.

BoulderSooner79
12/7/2014, 08:43 PM
What would be the point other than to placate the ESPN crowd? Everybody would have already played every other team.

I agree. It would just be a fabricated game and guaranteed to be a rematch. The team that won the first game risks being knocked out and gaining little by a second win over the same team.

Piware
12/7/2014, 08:57 PM
Can we just... Can someone change the title of this thread? It's kind of embarrassing that someone thought FSU was a SEC school. Besides, it increases the likelihood that we'll get an influx of chicken littles with low reading comprehension. Though I guess that would be mildy amusing in its own right, I'm still a bit too hungover from last night to deal w/ that mess.

I started the thread. It was my mistake, I said so and I am so incredibly sorry to have caused you such distress. I would be happy to change the title of the thread if I knew how. Please - no need for you to be embarrassed. There are a lot of things that have been a lot more embarrassing on this board in this last few days so I don't plan to kill myself or anything. AND I don't drink so I don't even have that as an excuse. :apologetic:

I am also smart enough to recognize my "betters" so thanks in advance for your sportsmanship.

Sabanball
12/7/2014, 09:42 PM
As someone that supported the BCS system, I'm not a big fan of the current 'playoff.' But the decision was made to have this and we all have to live with it. Oklahoma is without question an all-time top 3 program in football. Despite what you might think of conference affiliation and and all the mocking of the sec etc.., it WILL matter going forward. You belong in a conference that will give you an opportunity to play in the playoffs. Unless the big 12 leadership decides to expand, I really think you all need to seriously consider joining another conference.

Piware
12/8/2014, 03:15 AM
Chin up, SicEm. That PR compaign worked! You guys did jump over TCU.

Feel bad for the Baylor kids. They did most everything they were supposed to do and still didn't make the cut. IMHO, this playoff system is not going to much of an improvement but we will have to wait and see. Keep your sunny side up Sicem.

soonergirlNeugene
12/8/2014, 04:25 AM
Baylor does need to cut the cupcakes from their scheduling. I mean it's one thing if a school bails on you at the last minute and Incarnate Word is the only school that can fill in at short notice, but while OU is going out and scheduling Ohio State and FSU several years down the road, Baylor can certainly do better than the slate they've created.

Yeah, they did themselves no favors there, but even with that said, they definitely still should have gotten in this year. Who knows, maybe it wouldn't have made a difference. I mean, this nonsense about a CCG could not possibly be more contrived. Say we did still have the B12 North and South. You'd still wind up with Baylor-KSU at the end of the season. TCU/Baylor would be in the South and their position in the polls would have invoked the "Texas rule" of head to head determining the representative in the CCG. I mean, yeah we didn't call it a CCG this year and there were other teams playing at the end of the season, but it would have played out the same way.

Is the committee really so petty that they would make it about labels? If so, it's way worse than the BCS ever was.

Mac94
12/8/2014, 07:48 AM
Speaking as a fan of college football ... the OOC is why the committee, in the end, got this right. Baylor got the nod over TCU (rightly) based on the head to head to it came down to 12-1 Ohio St. vs 11-1 Baylor. Baylor played the worst OOC schedule in all of FBS ball ... and Ohio St.'s one loss was in week 2 to another Power 5 conference team that they did not have to schedule. To reward Baylor with a playoff spot over Ohio St. because Ohio St. attempted to play a respectable OOC game would have sent the message the coaches and ADs that weak scheduling will be rewarded. Is that what we want?

ouflak
12/8/2014, 09:09 AM
What's to keep the B12 from making a move on a Power 5 school? Only the B12 and the ACC have imposed harsh grant of right penalties on their members.

I didn't see this corrected anywhere else, but the B1G and the PAC 12 also have 'harsh' GOR's in place. Only the SEC doesn't have anything like that in place (something they brag about incessantly when re-alignment discussion rears its head again).

mainline13
12/8/2014, 09:29 AM

It's because we bend over too far backwards, instead of just falling on our face. Or something like that. Everybody knows that they are the "little brother," so we all have to pretend that they are our equal, to avoid hurt feelings.

FaninAma
12/8/2014, 10:05 AM
As someone that supported the BCS system, I'm not a big fan of the current 'playoff.' But the decision was made to have this and we all have to live with it. Oklahoma is without question an all-time top 3 program in football. Despite what you might think of conference affiliation and and all the mocking of the sec etc.., it WILL matter going forward. You belong in a conference that will give you an opportunity to play in the playoffs. Unless the big 12 leadership decides to expand, I really think you all need to seriously consider joining another conference.

Apparently a lot of fans from other programs have higher aspirations for OU than a lot of our own fans and certainly higher than the President of the Unviresity, David boren. Boren is a political animal. That quality has served OU well in certain instances but has served us very poorly in others...this being one of them.

Eielson
12/8/2014, 10:19 AM
Speaking as a fan of college football ... the OOC is why the committee, in the end, got this right. Baylor got the nod over TCU (rightly) based on the head to head to it came down to 12-1 Ohio St. vs 11-1 Baylor. Baylor played the worst OOC schedule in all of FBS ball ... and Ohio St.'s one loss was in week 2 to another Power 5 conference team that they did not have to schedule. To reward Baylor with a playoff spot over Ohio St. because Ohio St. attempted to play a respectable OOC game would have sent the message the coaches and ADs that weak scheduling will be rewarded. Is that what we want?

If it's all about OOC, then put TCU in there. TCU beat Minnesota much worse than Ohio State, and has a much better loss. Ohio State lost their only decent OOC game, so that's not impressive, and I think calling that decent would even be generous. VT had a losing record in the ACC, and only had a winning record overall due to beating Ohio State.

I thought the point of a tough OOC was to prove that you aren't just beating up on a bad conference. Ohio State lost, so they certainly didn't prove that.

Mac94
12/8/2014, 10:30 AM
Eielson -

TCU vs Ohio St isn't all that clear cut. Ohio St. beat three final top 25 to TCU's 2 with Ohio St. having the best win over Michigan St. and Ohio St. beat 8 bowl teams to TCU beating 6. Of course ... then the committee is dealing with the Baylor/TCU head to head issue. I think Baylor got the nod over TCU because of the head to head ... then when looking at Ohio St vs Baylor I do think the OOC issue may have put the Buckeyes over the edge in a close deal. Baylor also only had two wins over final top 25 although they had the better win and Baylor only had 5 wins over bowl teams.