PDA

View Full Version : Coaching is the Question Mark!

steveousiu
12/7/2014, 08:43 AM
There are lots of comments calling for the removal of the coaching staff - due to a sub-par year, but the ramifications of this year's performance will have a lasting impact on both conference performance and on the national stage. OU historically has been a program that was able to grab the best talent, and sustain a legitimate power program, and after the Blake years, Bob was able to bring dominance back to the program with our over achieving 2000 NC year. He repeated it several times in the 2000s but as of late, we have taken a step back both in recruitment and performance on the field. When I look at the Big XII, I can see positional coaches that are shinning, Patterson (Head Coach) at TCU, Bennett DC at Baylor, heck, there are a bunch of great coaches in the Big XII. My point is that where we were once a powerhouse in the recruitment and development of players, we no longer have that edge. Who would have thought that Baylor and TCU would be kicking our butts, and possible playing for a National Championship? I wish them the best, at the end of the day, they are Big XII and the conference needs the recognition. I won't even go into the subject of needing a conference championship, but I suspect when Ohio State jumps to the 4th team this evening, we will be rethinking that, and start seriously looking at adding 2 more teams.

So back to the Coaching staff at the University of Oklahoma - I believe we need changes, I'm not an expert just an alum and a fan, and yes I'm spoiled, but if we pay our coaching staff well, they should perform well. For next year do I think we will be better? Well if the coaches pull their head out of their arses and play the right folks i.e. Baker Mayfield at QB as an example ( I know he couldn't play this year due to NCAA - but next year loyalty shouldn't be the determining factor in picking a starting QB), and we put people in position to win i.e. Wilson never should have been moved, we should have developed a younger player, then perhaps we will do better. We have two great receivers we can use next year to go along with Sterling, we will have Mixon to run along with SP, and our offensive line should be fine. Questions on defense YES but if Mike would freaking calm down and simply teach and not be an *** on the sideline, perhaps we might get the defense in better shape. All this is said, there are lots of reasons for our crappy season, I do put coaching at the top of the list, if I were king, I would bring in a new OC and DC (sorry Mike, but your performance from game 5 on was absolutely **** poor). Give this coaching staff one more year, and if they can't get us in the top 4, say your good buys and go after someone that can win.

GDC
12/7/2014, 09:54 AM
I broached the idea of Phil Bennett as DC at OU a few seasons ago. Several posters shot down the idea for various reasons. I've had the misfortune of watching parts of a few Baylor games the last couple of years and must say I don't think he could have done any crappier a job than M. Stoops has done.