PDA

View Full Version : Gee,anyone notice half-time stats on Ohio States 3rd string QB in his first start?

beached_sooner
12/6/2014, 10:17 PM
Gee anyone compared Ohio State's 3rd string QB half time stats to Cody Thomas's complete game stats ???

Cody Thomas 3rd start of year (completely hamstrung by his chicken schitt coaches) 10-17, 120 total passing yards, longest reception to Bell for 47 yards (mostly YAC).

Cardale Jones: 1st start ever, 10-13, 211 total passing yards, receptions of 44, 32 and 21, and these were vertical passes not YAC.

I'm sorry, but if Cody Thomas can't be trusted to pass downfield in his third stard, WTH was he offered a scholarship?
All we heard the last three weeks was gee it was an effing hurricane in Lubbock, so no blame on Thomas for the low completion rate. Next, well it was an effing monsoon in Lawrence, and he had no quality receivers to throw to, so no blame on Thomas for the second start.

So WTH is the excuse in Norman? Too effing foggy ? Why the hell do we have a back-up that can't be trusted to pass downfield??

What is the deal with our QB recruiting?? Trevor is not the answer, sorry. Bell, sorry, no deal. Now Thomas not showing any signs of superstardom. Wasn't that impressed with K Thompson either. The other QB that transferred to Syracuse was awful as well. With our flashy spread offense with no-huddle most of the time, slinging the ball all over the field and we can't recruit any better talent than this. Holy hell, I hope Hansen or Mayfield bring something to the table next year that the total mediocrity the last half of dozen recruits showed.

Sad, we haven't had a decent QB since White and Bradford.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2014, 10:20 PM
OSU's true FR QB in his second start looked a whole lot better than our RS FR QB in his 3rd. But to be fair to CT, Knight didn't look a while lot better than that once we lost Shepard to injury. Since the camera stays on the QB during the play, I can't tell if our QB's are bad or if our WR just don't open. Either situation is a problem.

8timechamps
12/6/2014, 10:24 PM
Cody had opportunities to throw the ball down-field. He chose not to. He also left the pocket too early on several occasions.

The truth is we aren't very good at QB (behind TK). TK can get the job done, but not if he's injured on the sideline. The issue is we don't have a guy to back him up right now. Thomas just isn't ready (and despite what Ohio State's QB is doing, it's not uncommon to think a freshman QB isn't ready, or effective enough).

As far as having a decent QB, Landry Jones was a very good QB. We've had a great run of QBs, but that run ended when Jones graduated.

cvsooner
12/6/2014, 10:26 PM
It's a perfect storm: a developing QB who's learning and WRs (outside of Shepard) who can't catch.

Eielson
12/6/2014, 10:37 PM
Cardale Jones is a rSO. Big difference.

I'd also have to imagine that he has better WRs. Not because I've seen them and think they're great, but because this is one of the worst groups of WRs that Stoops has ever had (when Shep isn't playing).

Also, this is only one half.

8timechamps
12/6/2014, 10:45 PM
It's a perfect storm: a developing QB who's learning and WRs (outside of Shepard) who can't catch.

This sums it up.

I had really high hopes for our receiving corps this year. If nothing else, I expected Neal to really step up. Unfortunately, it never happened. Once Shep went down, we were able to go to the run game because Perine is a stud. After he went down, and Ford got injured (on the long run), we were done.

The good news is that we have so many young guys at WR (and an incoming JUCO kid that looks really good), so there's bound to be a guy that can't step up in that group. The big question will be at QB. I still believe Knight can get it done, but it's highly unlikely that he will play the entire year without some injury, and we have to have a QB that can come in an move the ball with his arm.

Since71ASooner4Life
12/6/2014, 10:50 PM
Gee anyone compared Ohio State's 3rd string QB half time stats to Cody Thomas's complete game stats ???

Cody Thomas 3rd start of year (completely hamstrung by his chicken schitt coaches) 10-17, 120 total passing yards, longest reception to Bell for 47 yards (mostly YAC).

Cardale Jones: 1st start ever, 10-13, 211 total passing yards, receptions of 44, 32 and 21, and these were vertical passes not YAC.

I'm sorry, but if Cody Thomas can't be trusted to pass downfield in his third stard, WTH was he offered a scholarship?
All we heard the last three weeks was gee it was an effing hurricane in Lubbock, so no blame on Thomas for the low completion rate. Next, well it was an effing monsoon in Lawrence, and he had no quality receivers to throw to, so no blame on Thomas for the second start.

So WTH is the excuse in Norman? Too effing foggy ? Why the hell do we have a back-up that can't be trusted to pass downfield??

What is the deal with our QB recruiting?? Trevor is not the answer, sorry. Bell, sorry, no deal. Now Thomas not showing any signs of superstardom. Wasn't that impressed with K Thompson either. The other QB that transferred to Syracuse was awful as well. With our flashy spread offense with no-huddle most of the time, slinging the ball all over the field and we can't recruit any better talent than this. Holy hell, I hope Hansen or Mayfield bring something to the table next year that the total mediocrity the last half of dozen recruits showed.

Sad, we haven't had a decent QB since White and Bradford.

Spot on, except you forgot Landry was pretty darn good

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2014, 10:54 PM
I wasn't sure what happened to Ford after that long run. He went out for a while, but he did come back in. He played pretty well today, but still looked a half step slow, so I don't think he is 100% yet. Maybe by bowl time.

aero
12/6/2014, 11:05 PM
Sounds like a big mess to me. Other teams lose players. The good ones replace them and don't miss too much (ie OhioSt and others). The not so good ones probably lost their best player (ie BYU) and aren't the same team. I really don't know what to think of this team. Bad recruiting evaluation? Coaching? I don't know but I also have no idea how we beat Bama in the Sugar. I truly don't. I've generally been pleased at the end of each season regardless of how it ended. This season seems different. So much hope and expectations. And now it seems like so many seasons of let downs. Only worse. I know next year Bama, Oregon, LSU, USC, OhioSt, Auburn, FSU, will probably be in the top five and top ten. You know they will be. They always are. And why not? They usually play like they belong there. And that's the difference. We beat Bama and shocked everyone. And that itself says alot. WE weren't shocked because we think we belong at the top and can play anyone, anytime, anywhere and should win. The sad truth is nobody else thinks that and this game, this season, is why. I'm sick of excuses.

GDC
12/6/2014, 11:07 PM
Did Heupel have anything to do with recruiting Jones? If not, has he brought in even one quality QB? I don't see ou going very far with any of the QBs currently on the roster. Mayfield may be the exception though he wasn't recruited by Heupel.

8timechamps
12/6/2014, 11:08 PM
I wasn't sure what happened to Ford after that long run. He went out for a while, but he did come back in. He played pretty well today, but still looked a half step slow, so I don't think he is 100% yet. Maybe by bowl time.

He did come back in, but he was hurting. He limped off after the long run, and then next time he carried the ball, you could tell he was not right. He was in for the last play in regulation, and picked up a nice gain (OSU was in prevent), but again, he limped off after the carry. He probably wasn't at 100% going into the game, but after the long run, he was clearly struggling.

8timechamps
12/6/2014, 11:10 PM
Did Heupel have anything to do with recruiting Jones? If not, has he brought in even one quality QB? I don't see ou going very far with any of the QBs currently on the roster. Mayfield may be the exception though he wasn't recruited by Heupel.

He did recruit Landry.

I've really liked Hansen, but he's nowhere near ready to play. I thought Thomas would be a solid back-up, but again, it's pretty clear he's not ready to be the guy.

EatLeadCommie
12/6/2014, 11:19 PM

Our QBs have been in a constant state of development since Sam lost.

GDC
12/6/2014, 11:20 PM
Thanks 8x. I stand corrected. I just hate having to come down from cloud 9 once in a while, especially while watching Baylor run rampant.

UteSooner
12/6/2014, 11:52 PM
Back to the OP- It's amazing what some offenses can do when there's a clear system/identity that the players have been recruited and developed to run. Wish Bob wanted that here.