PDA

View Full Version : An overpaid cowardly coaching staff

JLEW1818
12/6/2014, 07:11 PM
We have been undersized at linebacker for years.
The secondary has sucked for years.
Stoops has not cared for years.
Mike Stoops is an idiot. I wish a player would punch him in the face when he's yelling.
The pistol offense sucks.
We don't have tight ends.

RUN THE ENTIRE GAME AND THEN PASS IT 3 times in OT

Just pathetic.

Eielson
12/6/2014, 07:12 PM
Our starting QB, RB, and WR are hurt. That's not something the coaching staff can control.

JLEW1818
12/6/2014, 07:13 PM
I knew you would have something to say. Do you have anyone in the world that likes you?

soonercastor
12/6/2014, 07:13 PM
Our starting QB, RB, and WR are hurt. That's not something the coaching staff can control.

I know, we miss them on defense.

Eielson
12/6/2014, 07:15 PM
The one thing dumber than this thread is the OP.

JLEW1818
12/6/2014, 07:15 PM
Toilet bowl

JLEW1818
12/6/2014, 07:16 PM
E,

You have zero friends in life.

JLEW1818
12/6/2014, 07:17 PM
Good work Stoops Brothers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GIVE THEM A RAISE

ObiKaTony
12/6/2014, 07:18 PM

Which has to do with that play calling? Shut up

SoCalBigRed
12/6/2014, 07:18 PM
He's on quite a few ignore lists, that's for sure.

I got booted off a forum, for being too much of a "Sunshine Pumper". Man, some stuff is just straight up delusional.

Eielson
12/6/2014, 07:19 PM
Which has to do with that play calling? Shut up

Everything. We were severely limited in what we could do, because we were missing most of our key players on offense.

JLEW1818
12/6/2014, 07:19 PM
21 points dawg

soonerfan69
12/6/2014, 07:20 PM

No but they put the replacements in who suck

OUmillenium
12/6/2014, 07:21 PM
How To Put Your Players In A Position To Lose...by Bob Stoops & Co.

Eielson
12/6/2014, 07:21 PM
No but they put the replacements in who suck

Well yeah...that's why they weren't starting.

EatLeadCommie
12/6/2014, 07:23 PM

So logically, we should then have backups at QB and WR who can't play. Not to mention a clueless OC who ran the same damn play trying to run clock

OUmillenium
12/6/2014, 07:23 PM
Even the Commercial Animal is finally putting significant blame on the coaching staff.

Wow, what a pathetic finish.

Playing not to lose.

Therealsouthsider
12/6/2014, 07:26 PM
....let's think outside the box a little, where is it written in stone that salaries can only escalate?

ss

FletchF_FletchOU7
12/6/2014, 07:26 PM
Complete meltdown of the coaching staff & and as a lot of the players have shown all year, no mental toughness to finish off an opponent. Doesn't matter that we're losing players... Somebody has to step up.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2014, 07:27 PM
Without TK, Shep and Perine we are just not a very good team on offense. But even then, you can't go into a shell on your last 3 possessions and hope the clock runs out or the football gods will be pissed. If we had thrown for the endzone right after Sanchez's pick I would have been happy even if they intercepted us right back. I know others disagree, but you've got to have balls to win.

Sooner8th
12/6/2014, 07:31 PM
Without TK, Shep and Perine we are just not a very good team on offense. But even then, you can't go into a shell on your last 3 possessions and hope the clock runs out or the football gods will be pissed. If we had thrown for the endzone right after Sanchez's pick I would have been happy even if they intercepted us right back. I know others disagree, but you've got to have balls to win.

I am with you here. Playing not to lose. I can understand if KU does not have decent backups, but we are OKLAHOMA and should have depth. That is a coaching issue.

ouhomer123
12/6/2014, 07:37 PM
Agreed!

Even the Commercial Animal is finally putting significant blame on the coaching staff.

Wow, what a pathetic finish.

Playing not to lose.

EatLeadCommie
12/6/2014, 07:43 PM
I tell you, though. As befuddled as I am by the downright retarded maneuvers of this coaching staff, I'm actually ok with this loss. The season was over anyway, and another 9-3 season would mean no changes. Three losses at home and possibly another one against whatever team we play in the Toilet Bowl should mean changes are in order. Four losses this season was unfathomable, especially against this piddly conference schedule. Three at home? God forbid we have five losses because then Bob himself will feel the heat whether Joe C makes him feel it or not. It's just embarrassing. Changes need to be made. We know Bob isn't going anywhere unless he resigns, but there are serious flaws within the coaching staff when it comes to player development (hello secondary, LBs, QB, and WR) and just basic situational awareness (Josh Heupel and certainly Bob on this day).

Eielson
12/6/2014, 07:59 PM

I thought we should have at least tried to throw it once, but the reality is, had that punt not been returned for a TD, we still win this game. I also think we could have picked up a first had Shead and Perine not gone down.

I'm not saying the coaching staff was perfect, but JLEW makes a thread like this every time we lose, and it's obnoxious. We should make an official fire our coaches thread, and he'd never find his way out of it.

Therealsouthsider
12/6/2014, 08:04 PM
....the reality is OU should not have given up a 14pt lead at home to a sub .500 team....the staff is inept

ss

aurorasooner
12/6/2014, 08:10 PM
I tell you, though. As befuddled as I am by the downright retarded maneuvers of this coaching staff, I'm actually ok with this loss. The season was over anyway, and another 9-3 season would mean no changes. Three losses at home and possibly another one against whatever team we play in the Toilet Bowl should mean changes are in order. Four losses this season was unfathomable, especially against this piddly conference schedule. Three at home? God forbid we have five losses because then Bob himself will feel the heat whether Joe C makes him feel it or not. It's just embarrassing. Changes need to be made. We know Bob isn't going anywhere unless he resigns, but there are serious flaws within the coaching staff when it comes to player development (hello secondary, LBs, QB, and WR) and just basic situational awareness (Josh Heupel and certainly Bob on this day).On defense, our LBs and our DBs (outside of perhaps Sanchez) have absolutely zero""situational awareness of the where the ball is once it's in the air from the opposing QB. They, more times than not, have their back turned to the ball when it could easily be picked.
On offense, any resemblance of leadership from the top, when our players needed to see it, just went absolutely to hell when Perine went out.
I do agree that maybe some things will change from the gravy train with this "John Blake" type unacceptable loss. However, I'll believe it when I see it. It will be interesting to see how the administration tries to spin it, though. I just don't know if there is any PR spin that can make it acceptable

SoonerMarkVA
12/6/2014, 08:11 PM
I know, we miss them on defense.

I've been saying since WV, our defense is *the* reason we suck this season. 114th in pass defense says it all.

ObiKaTony
12/6/2014, 08:20 PM

We weren't that good with them. Stop the fuc$Img excuse making! This coaching staff is overpaid, no one woud argue that fact so either pay them less, or find new people (kinda like how the real world works )

beached_sooner
12/6/2014, 08:21 PM
Why is it that Gumby has all the confidence in his freshman QB (making his SECOND start of the year), and opens the whole play book for him, and what did he end up with... close to 300 yards ??? Mike Stoops and the defensive secondary should be fired !

Whereas, our chicken schitt coaching staff put a complete muzzle on Thomas at the end of the game, and says just go out and hand the ball of to whoever we put in the backfield. Holy schitt ! Is our depth at QB that pizz-poor, that the dude can't be trusted to throw downfield a little? I knew that after Sanchez made the pick, all those 3 and outs were going to cost OU the game, and they did. Gotta hand it to Ross and Ford, they tried their best, but when the other team is stacking 9 & 10 in the box, you have to unmuzzle your QB a little, despite the fact he doesn't have the greatest receiving corps. He had Bell, Neal and Ford ! WTF, do you think a 9-3 team is going to an important bowl ?? NFW. Play to win you chicken schitt coaching staff !!!

Have fun at the Meinike Bowl. I'm not watching.

ObiKaTony
12/6/2014, 08:25 PM
Why is it that Gumby has all the confidence in his freshman QB, and opens the whole play book for him, and what did he end up with... close to 300 yards ???

Whereas, our chicken schitt coaching staff put a complete muzzle on Thomas at the end of the game, and says just go out and hand the ball of to whoever we put in the backfield. Holy schitt ! Is our depth at QB that pizz-poor, that the dude can't be trusted to throw downfield a little? I knew that after Sanchez made the pick, all those 3 and outs were going to cost OU the game, and they did. Gotta hand it to Ross and Ford, they tried their best, but when the other team is stacking 9 & 10 in the box, you have to unmuzzle your QB a little, despite the fact he doesn't have the greatest receiving corps. He had Bell, Neal and Ford ! WTF, do you think a 9-3 team is going to an important bowl ?? NFW. Play to win you chicken schitt coaching staff !!!

Completely agree, I'm off the wagon entirely. Time for major change in Norman..

soonerfan69
12/6/2014, 08:28 PM
Why is it that Gumby has all the confidence in his freshman QB (making his SECOND start of the year), and opens the whole play book for him, and what did he end up with... close to 300 yards ??? Mike Stoops and the defensive secondary should be fired !

Cause their freshman QB is a good one ours......not so much

Since71ASooner4Life
12/6/2014, 08:52 PM

The funny thing is once upon a time Bob had balls - that's what made him successful. It's really insane that the team with this no nuts vanilla offense, is the same that invented the hurry up that had defenses gasping for oxygen.

Like the one TV announcer said a couple weeks ago - the most disappointing team in America this year

Sooner8th
12/6/2014, 09:12 PM
Completely agree, I'm off the wagon entirely. Time for major change in Norman..

I just don't see bob doing anything about mike. Look at clemson this year, the guy we let go of suddenly has a top five defense. I don't think it's the coaches as much as it is the scheme.

Eielson
12/6/2014, 09:15 PM
I just don't see bob doing anything about mike.

And he won't.

But if we get things straightened out at QB, we'll be fine.

cvsooner
12/6/2014, 09:34 PM
No, the problem is Bob goes aggressive when he should be conservative and conservative when he should be aggressive, way too often.

It's true we're missing some key starters, but to be up by two TDs with 5 minutes to go...is a meltdown. In all phases--offense needed to make one lousy first down. Defense did come up with a stop courtesy of the interception. The punt call was just...wow. Stoopid. Thomas' throw to Bell was a good throw in OT but the d-back made a great play. Hunnicutt has no pro future, clearly...can't handle pressure at all. Just a lousy game on our part.

I about half wonder if Bob didn't have money riding on a bet. Either that or he took one for the conference so OSewe can make a bowl and/or save Gundy's job.

Either way, terrible loss. Kinda emblematic of the whole season, really. Mike Stoops and the D are the biggest problem, but the offense needs a more consistent QB and it's unfathomable that we have developed precisely no one at wide receiver. Almost all the completed throws today were to backs or tight end.

Mookie91
This season was a flop before today's loss and the coaching staff deserves their fair share of blame but fans need to calm down a bit. You have to look at proud schools like Michigan, Notre Dame and Texas for proof the grass isn't always greener with another coach.

cleller

Oh my glorious puckered hemorrhoid, someone is defending this mess? Do you get paid my the inch for sucking coach choke?

Unbelievable. John Blake would not have botched the deal so bad as this.

cleller
12/6/2014, 09:38 PM
I thought we should have at least tried to throw it once, but the reality is, had that punt not been returned for a TD, we still win this game. I also think we could have picked up a first had Shead and Perine not gone down.

I'm not saying the coaching staff was perfect, but JLEW makes a thread like this every time we lose, and it's obnoxious. We should make an official fire our coaches thread, and he'd never find his way out of it.

The re-punt was the dumbest, most high-risk/low reward coaching decision that has been made on that field this year. That punt signals immense coaching stupidity, and its outcome sits squarely and completely on Stoops lap. Stoops lost the game, and that is all there is to it.

Punting the ball back to the fastest person alive in this state was a stupid, and avoidable mistake that should have never occurred. The game was lost because of it.

Eielson
12/6/2014, 09:40 PM
The re-punt was the dumbest, most high-risk/low reward coaching decision that has been in a long time. That punt signals immense coaching stupidity, and its outcome sits squarely and completely on Stoops lap. Stoops lost the game, and that is all there is to it.

Punting the ball back to the fastest person alive in this state was a stupid, and avoidable mistake that should have never occurred.

It was dumb, and I have no idea why he would risk it. It was also dumb not to call a TO to throw a Hail Mary before OT.

Piware
12/6/2014, 09:42 PM

E, I have to agree with you. This is a very Poke-like approach. If the Sooners come out and run the table next year, these same people will swear the Stoops brothers poop crimson color ice cream cones. It's also interesting that a whole bunch of these folks only show up if/when the Sooners loose. Maybe the OSU crowd is right - we do have more than our share of bandwagon fans.

cleller
12/6/2014, 09:47 PM
It was dumb, and I have no idea why he would risk it. It was also dumb not to call a TO to throw a Hail Mary before OT.

Yeah, dumb.

Also, it was an epic, moronic, defeatist, weak-kneed, no confidence, pathetic, desperate, scared, surrendering, noodle flopping, jawdropping, ignorant decision.

But ultimately, they just didn't execute.

Eielson
12/6/2014, 09:51 PM
Yeah, dumb.

Also, it was an epic, moronic, defeatist, weak-kneed, no confidence, pathetic, desperate, scared, surrendering, noodle flopping, jawdropping, ignorant decision.

We agree completely!

kenth68
12/6/2014, 09:56 PM
Maybe the OSU crowd is right - we do have more than our share of bandwagon fans.

Like OSU has any room to talk. I'm sure many of us have been to Bedlam games, with OSU fans packing it in by the start of the second half. Hell, we had trouble getting tickets even during the Blake and Schnelly era. And down here in south-eastern OK, you won't believe the number of OSU fans that materialized in 2011. Claimed to be lifelong OSU fans, but you rarely saw the orange around here before then.

OU isn't going to be perfect every year. We've had great runs under Coach Stoops. But the plays called and miscalled this year show that something is off with the staff. It's not just this game but all season long.

Pricetag
12/6/2014, 10:04 PM
But the plays called and miscalled this year show that something is off with the staff. It's not just this game but all season long.
Not just all season long, but for several years. Definitely back to 2009, and I'd argue to 2005.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2014, 10:07 PM

We weren't that good with them. Stop the fuc$Img excuse making! This coaching staff is overpaid, no one woud argue that fact so either pay them less, or find new people (kinda like how the real world works )

How you interpret that as making excuses, I have no idea. I just said our coaches had no balls and was removing what they might use as an excuse. But you go girl.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2014, 10:14 PM

Yes, I know the odds were we would win by going super conservative. But I've seen this kind of thing happen in so many games (all games, not talking just OU). Go by the numbers, play it safe and something unexpected happens - like a 92 yard punt return. No I don't really believe in football gods, but the game seems to punish the timid and reward the bold. Not always, but pretty often. Our team went super timid and the unexpected happened and it didn't even bother me at that point. Make a play if you want to win.

Eielson
12/6/2014, 10:24 PM
Yes, I know the odds were we would win by going super conservative. But I've seen this kind of thing happen in so many games (all games, not talking just OU). Go by the numbers, play it safe and something unexpected happens - like a 92 yard punt return. No I don't really believe in football gods, but the game seems to punish the timid and reward the bold. Not always, but pretty often. Our team went super timid and the unexpected happened and it didn't even bother me at that point. Make a play if you want to win.

I hated the timid. It's just hard not to be with a freshman QB that can't throw.

As weird as it is, it's not the conservative calls that cost us. Accepting that penalty and keeping the kick in bounds was the only aggressive decision we made, and that's what cost us.

But oh well. It wasn't meant to be. Hopefully this is impetus for Bob to shake up his staff. Long term, I think it's best we lost. I can't cheer for the Sooners to lose, but another loss would probably do us even more good. Bob's never not bounced back from a single digit win season. We've won conference all three times thus far.

beached_sooner
12/6/2014, 10:34 PM
Can we officially retire "Big Game Bob" moniker and go with "overpaid timid no-cajones Bob" !!

Anyone remember the 2014 Sugar Bowl post-game interview with Mike Stoops? According to Mike, "based on the Sugar Bowl performance there could be no doubt that "Big Game Bob" was officially back." Phffffftttt !!!

Yeah Mike he (Big Game Bob) was around for the 2013 OSU game and the Sugar Bowl. After that, he officially disappeared again.

cvsooner
12/6/2014, 10:38 PM
With the impending stadium expansion and the need to keep contributors/fans happy, my first instinct is that even Boren/Castiglione will have a heart-to-heart with Robert about his coaching staff and the trends.

I'm still willing to believe in the man and part of the coaching staff--Montgomery and Bedenbaugh and Gundy--I'm on the fence about Boulware...special teams have been only fair this year. Outside of Montgomery, though, the defensive staff needs a serious shake up. M. Stoops had lousy teams at Arizona and he's not having great success here in round two. We've recruited and put some great players on the field even in the worst years, but we seem to have no depth to speak off; players keep making the same mistakes even after multiple games. How much of that is on coaches and how much on players? And I have little doubt that we are seeing the best players we've got on the field at any given moment, which doesn't say much about who's behind them.

Heupel seems to be an excellent QB coach but he's only fair (to be kind) as an OC...though 35 points ought to be enough to win a game. Norvell recruits kids who should turn into at least honorable mention receivers, but they aren't developing outside of one here and one there.

The head man himself...oy. I'm pretty sure if he made the decision to kick the punt after the penalty, had something else called. He said as much in the press conference, but just way too much risk there. Hell, we'd have been better off to run the fake there.

Well, this season's in the books. We'll be back. Fans, I mean. Some of the coaching staff, not so sure...

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2014, 11:07 PM
I hated the timid. It's just hard not to be with a freshman QB that can't throw.

As weird as it is, it's not the conservative calls that cost us. Accepting that penalty and keeping the kick in bounds was the only aggressive decision we made, and that's what cost us.

But oh well. It wasn't meant to be. Hopefully this is impetus for Bob to shake up his staff. Long term, I think it's best we lost. I can't cheer for the Sooners to lose, but another loss would probably do us even more good. Bob's never not bounced back from a single digit win season. We've won conference all three times thus far.

Then run a reverse and have Neal throw. Or shift Bell in the QB position and let him throw. Yes, the silly decision to re-punt backfired, but i'm talking about the 3 possessions in a row of 3-an-out before that. We didn't try to do anything to take advantage of OSU being forced to overplay the run. And Cody can throw well enough to make a play. The coaches could just tell him if we get single coverage, just throw it and let our guy try to win on a 50/50 ball. There are lots of ways to burn a defense that is stacking the box and we didn't try any of them other than hoping our RB would pop free on one.

Jack T.
12/6/2014, 11:18 PM
Yeah, dumb.

If they executed perfectly, we only need one offensive play: score a touchdown.

But they don't, and therefore it it's up to the coaches to put then in a position to succeed knowing some percentage of the players won't execute... and to recruit players who can execute a higher percentage of the time.

Eielson
12/6/2014, 11:20 PM
Then run a reverse and have Neal throw. Or shift Bell in the QB position and let him throw. Yes, the silly decision to re-punt backfired, but i'm talking about the 3 possessions in a row of 3-an-out before that. We didn't try to do anything to take advantage of OSU being forced to overplay the run. And Cody can throw well enough to make a play. The coaches could just tell him if we get single coverage, just throw it and let our guy try to win on a 50/50 ball. There are lots of ways to burn a defense that is stacking the box and we didn't try any of them other than hoping our RB would pop free on one.

I remember last time Heupel called for Neal to throw.

GDC
12/6/2014, 11:37 PM
This season was a flop before today's loss and the coaching staff deserves their fair share of blame but fans need to calm down a bit. You have to look at proud schools like Michigan, Notre Dame and Texas for proof the grass isn't always greener with another coach.

The grass is kind of sh$t brown around Norman right now with our coach of 16 years so, what's the diff?

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2014, 11:45 PM
I remember last time Heupel called for Neal to throw.

So? Give him another chance to be a hero. The worst that happens is it doesn't work.

EatLeadCommie
12/6/2014, 11:47 PM
Can you imagine the crowd had Bell come out under center for OT? I was actually hoping for that earlier...

Eielson
12/7/2014, 12:01 AM
So? Give him another chance to be a hero. The worst that happens is it doesn't work.

Exactly. The worst thing that could happen is that he could throw an interception, and we could lose because of it. That's the worst thing that could ever happen in any game. It happened once, and nearly everybody complained about the call.

BoulderSooner79
12/7/2014, 12:06 AM
Exactly. The worst thing that could happen is that he could throw an interception, and we could lose because of it. That's the worst thing that could ever happen in any game. It happened once, and nearly everybody complained about the call.

And they would again, but I wouldn't. At least we would have shown some cojones, but that's just me. Use these meaningless games to put some different guys into game deciding situations. If we were in the hunt for anything, I'd feel completely differently. But if we were in the hunt we wouldn't be hapless either.

Eielson
12/7/2014, 12:14 AM
And they would again, but I wouldn't. At least we would have shown some cojones, but that's just me. Use these meaningless games to put some different guys into game deciding situations. If we were in the hunt for anything, I'd feel completely differently. But if we were in the hunt we wouldn't be hapless either.

It's completely meaningless for you, since you don't live in the state. It means a lot to everybody here, though, and it very well might have cost some coaches their jobs.

Soonerjeepman
12/7/2014, 12:23 AM
Mike Stoops is an idiot. I wish a player would punch him in the face when he's yelling.

Just pathetic.

yup...

BoulderSooner79
12/7/2014, 12:31 AM
It's completely meaningless for you, since you don't live in the state. It means a lot to everybody here, though, and it very well might have cost some coaches their jobs.

I agree it's tough for those living amongst OSU fans. I don't think beating the 3 worst teams in the conference to finish the season is going to buy any job security. Being 6-3 and out of competition before then is the job security problem. Not developing players for next year and beyond is a guarantee for coaches heads to roll in the long run. I'm not really suggesting we should run some trick play like a WR pass - that was an exaggeration. I just mean we have their sacks on the chopping block with a 2 TD lead and possession of the ball late in the game. They are *forced* to gamble to stop us from running and are exposed on other types of plays. We should be able to line up and execute something even with backup players in there and win the game. I know live playing time isn't the only part of player development, but it is very important and very hard to come by. And the red/white game in the spring isn't the same.

JLEW1818
12/7/2014, 02:11 AM
Fire VENABLES

Curly Bill
12/7/2014, 02:12 AM
Venables was and is a dumbass, but it seems he might not have been as big a problem as the boss himself is.

Sooner91ATL
12/7/2014, 02:58 AM

Dude, I think we can find a coach who can go 8-4 in disappointing fashion in this weak conference. And pay him a lot less and use the excess to hire actual coordinators who know how to recruit, develop, and play hard.

Kdl1017
12/7/2014, 03:26 AM
I come pleat Lee agree with everything I read here basically.. I have said this numerous times on here, tweeted Mr. stoops, and Anywhere else I can vent lol... But I never get a response to know if it is just me or if more people see this too... But back in the day stoops made a lot of good Decisions personnel wise to change players positions... These days I think he has got way too carried away with it... In my opinion besides hour down three lineman and Griss you also might be able to throw strike in there too and Sanchez every buddy else is safety is converted to linebackers or corners... I mean there is plenty of talent they just don't fit in every down playing linebackers and corners.. It would work in situations but not every down... Just my opinion but I think that is where our problems start and the main problem on defense... As far as offense I don't think we are too far off, we just have not had mobile quarterbacks for a long time and they just need to learn how to utilize them better... Basically they need to re-watch that sugar bowl from last year lol... Besides that we have the talent to compete for national championships I just think stoops needs to find his desire to win national championships again and we will be good if he can. If not then yes it is time to move on to a coach that is coming up that hasn'thad the talent to compete for a title but can coach with anyone in the country not necessarily a proven coach that has already had success in bigger conferences... in my opinion Sorry for the essay but does anyone else see the same as me?

Blue
12/7/2014, 03:38 AM
No excusing this loss. Ohio state dominated w/ a third string qb that looked miles above any player we've thrown out there all year.

I'm tired of our coaches. I'm tire of their schemes which suck. And I'm tired of fans who defend them. Clean house damnit!

Kdl1017
12/7/2014, 04:07 AM
I don't know if you took that as me defending the coaches but I definitely wasn't, besides saying they just need to learn how to use a mobile quarterback. I would have no problem if they all got fired tomorrow, but I think they need to be real smart about who they hired if they do... I don't want a coach that has already had success at big time programs. I think what we need is a ambitious, successful coach that hasn't had talent to compete national title wise. This is completely out of the box view but I have been saying for the last few years that Oklahoma should throw a rediculous contract at this guy... Let's see if you can guess who I'm thinking, I don't think he has had a head coaching job in division one that I know of, He has won a super bowl and coached at least one mobile quarterback(Who was not very good) in the NFL with success Long before it was a trendy thing... Pretty sure he runs a cover two defense which I think with our talent and the way the big 12 offenses our run these days would be a perfect fit... Listening to him commentate and talk to Rookies in his quarterback camp heading to the league he sounds to me like players would love to play for him which would make him be in awesome recruiter in my opinion... I know he still has the passion I think we should blow him and the University and get something going.. folks in my opinion I think we need Jon Gruden!!!

Kdl1017
12/7/2014, 04:09 AM
Sorry for the essay again... Guess that is my way of venting and getting the last couple atrocious seasons off My head...

beached_sooner
12/7/2014, 10:25 AM
...This is completely out of the box view but I have been saying for the last few years that Oklahoma should throw a rediculous contract at this guy... Let's see if you can guess who I'm thinking, I don't think he has had a head coaching job in division one that I know of, He has won a super bowl and coached at least one mobile quarterback(Who was not very good) in the NFL with success Long before it was a trendy thing... Pretty sure he runs a cover two defense which I think with our talent and the way the big 12 offenses our run these days would be a perfect fit... Listening to him commentate and talk to Rookies in his quarterback camp heading to the league he sounds to me like players would love to play for him which would make him be in awesome recruiter in my opinion... I know he still has the passion I think we should blow him and the University and get something going.. folks in my opinion I think we need Jon Gruden!!!

I'm pretty sure Chuckie is comfy with his MNF gig right now. I don't think he would ever step into the fire of college football coaching. NFL again ? Maybe, if the right situation presented itself. College... I seriously doubt it.

dwarthog
12/7/2014, 10:28 AM

Just pathetic.

Word!

todd_shelton87
12/7/2014, 11:51 AM
I don't post often, because the active users tend to capture my thoughts spot on. The loss to OSU stings for a number of reasons. First of all, we will get to listen to this upset for 10 years. I remember until they smacked OU in 2011, OU pulled off 9 straight and a lot of fans said 16-13 & 38-28 (01 & 02 scores).

I had a weird feeling going into the game, OU was vulnerable to lose. The defensive backfield is never in alignment, also fundamentals all season. Anyone remember how the early 2000's defensive backs would execute pass, pass, ball, ball, oskie, out on the field. I can never recall a season when OU defensive backs and linebackers to an extent dropped numerous interceptions. Secondly, our linebackers are undersized and it shows. If the defensive line controls the line of scrimmage they are free to make plays, but often they are blown up. The last point, is inconsistency of a pass rush. A great Stoops defense would be a good front 4, and consist of a rotation that was 2 deep.

The offense has been the same punch line each week, when it rained it pours. Heupul has moments of greatness and a lot of duds. Funny how even myself, wanted Kevin Wilson gone. At least we were in the national title picture and still winning Big 12 Championships. Plenty of blame to go around, why there was little balance this season. I blame a lack of player development. Recruiting services are not always right, but OU recruiting some good offensive talent in their skill players.

I don't blame a single reason, but wholesale changes must be made. OU football shouldn't be about rewarding loyalty, when there is no reason in the past 6 seasons you haven't been a serious threat to win the national title. Most of us know life in the big city, if we don't perform and meet the minimum expectations then we are either told, get our act together or we are gone. Sometimes this is related to a lack of leadership or total complancey. All great programs experience this, but after witnessing the results they speak for themselves. Stoops will be in Norman, as long as a check is coming or he decides it's time to hang it up. Don't believe the next rockstar is out there yet. Look at Nebraska, I would have took Scott Frost or Brent Venables before Mike Riley. The most realistic option is Mike is either demoted or relocated to another university and same with Heupul.

Hold onto something, we will see no shortness of drama this offseason. OU will eventually bounce back, it's just a matter of when.

soonerdo
12/7/2014, 12:49 PM
Its all about recruiting, and OU just doesn't do it

bluedogok
12/7/2014, 01:38 PM
21 points dawg
Anyone who believed that line was just being suckered by the Vegas book makers. In recent years a win of that magnitude is more of an anomaly than the norm, just like the Texas game anything can happen and usually does.

BoulderSooner79
12/7/2014, 01:45 PM
Anyone who believed that line was just being suckered by the Vegas book makers. In recent years a win of that magnitude is more of an anomaly than the norm, just like the Texas game anything can happen and usually does.

Agreed that 21 points is silly given that TK and Shep were out or very questionable. But we were actually on our way to taking a 21 point lead when Perine got hurt. Couldn't get over that hump.

bluedogok
12/7/2014, 01:57 PM
"On the way" with 20+ minutes left in the game is not really "on the way". There was way too much time left to consider 21 points a big enough lead against that team.

BoulderSooner79
12/7/2014, 02:22 PM
"On the way" with 20+ minutes left in the game is not really "on the way". There was way too much time left to consider 21 points a big enough lead against that team.

Okay, okay not being precise. It is conceivable OU would have gone up 21 points as they were getting into the redzone while feeding the ball to Perine whom OSU was having great difficult stopping. It is also conceivable that OU could hold such a lead had Perine been available for the remainder of the game given the history of teams having increasingly difficulty stopping him as the defense wears down. Therefore, your honor, I leave it with the jury to conclude that OU could indeed have beaten OSU by the afore mentioned 21 points even if the spread was not reasonable for the savvy gambler.

EatLeadCommie
12/7/2014, 02:25 PM
I would like to think that when Bob hired his brother, both Joe and Boren said the day may come when he has to fire him. That said, I don't think Mike is nearly as big a problem as Heupel and the lack of player development at the very key positions of QB, WR, DB, and LB. Or, as Bob likes to say, we just don't execute. There is some truth to that, but it's on the coaches to make them execute.

bluedogok
12/7/2014, 02:51 PM
Okay, okay not being precise. It is conceivable OU would have gone up 21 points as they were getting into the redzone while feeding the ball to Perine whom OSU was having great difficult stopping. It is also conceivable that OU could hold such a lead had Perine been available for the remainder of the game given the history of teams having increasingly difficulty stopping him as the defense wears down. Therefore, your honor, I leave it with the jury to conclude that OU could indeed have beaten OSU by the afore mentioned 21 points even if the spread was not reasonable for the savvy gambler.
I didn't see any of the game until we got home and Perine was walking to the locker room. My basis of not thinking any lead is safe was based on the OU defensive performances this season. OSU scored one TD with two plays, even with their third QB they can still score quickly.

BoulderSooner79
12/7/2014, 02:56 PM
I didn't see any of the game until we got home and Perine was walking to the locker room. My basis of not thinking any lead is safe was based on the OU defensive performances this season. OSU scored one TD with two plays, even with their third QB they can still score quickly.

I'm violently agreeing with you - no lead is safe with our secondary. My point was just that even with our issues, we were the better team until Perine went down. That's not saying much when we are playing a team with a losing record coming into the game.

IamBigRed
12/7/2014, 03:17 PM
Our problem at quarterback the last two years is they game plan for them not to get hurt. What that means is they aren't effectively using them to their ability for fear of injury. We will never challenge for even a conference championship if we don't allow our QBs to play their game.

OU68
12/7/2014, 03:35 PM
Pass/run - our staff seems to have been able to make the wrong choice too often this year.