PDA

View Full Version : The Shawshank Redemption

ouwasp
12/2/2014, 10:15 PM
What a great movie. The word great is used too often in today's world. It was meant for flicks like Shawshank.

Just caught the last 40 minutes on a Dish movie channel. I remember reading the Stephen King short story as a very young man...And enjoying the movie over and over. Hadn't seen it in a couple yrs. Wow. Gosh...what a story. What a movie. The most faithful adaptation of a story to film ever, in my opinion.

You younger members, please do yourself a favor and watch The Shawshank Redemption. If I sound condescending, don't mean to...

Soonerjeepman
12/2/2014, 11:59 PM
yup...awesome movie

Turd_Ferguson
12/3/2014, 05:43 AM
Great flick! However, after finding out that Clancy Brown is the voice of Mr. Crabs, it's kinda weird.

hawaii 5-0
12/3/2014, 11:21 AM
It's one of a few movies that if I see it's on while flipping channels I'll watch it again

Saw the unedited version last week as well. Still one of my favorites.

5-0

yermom
12/3/2014, 06:50 PM
yeah, i will usually end up watching this any time i see it on

olevetonahill
12/3/2014, 07:03 PM
It ranks right up there with Jeremiah Johnson and Paint your Wagon :chuncky:

rock on sooner
12/3/2014, 08:49 PM
It ranks right up there with Jeremiah Johnson and Paint your Wagon :chuncky:

Welp, not sure about Lee Marvin and his singing but dayum sure about
Redford, the story line, the scenery (love the Rockies) in JJ...good stuff!

olevetonahill
12/3/2014, 09:16 PM
Welp, not sure about Lee Marvin and his singing but dayum sure about
Redford, the story line, the scenery (love the Rockies) in JJ...good stuff!

Clint Eastwood? Lee Marvin? the Music was one of the Best parts IMHO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTymtAbaG08

Eielson
12/4/2014, 02:42 PM
You younger members, please do yourself a favor and watch The Shawshank Redemption. If I sound condescending, don't mean to...

As a resident younger member, I finally watched it about a year ago. I liked it, but I wouldn't say I LOVED it. Perhaps I would have liked it more had I been older and gotten to see it when it came out. Movies have come a long way in the last 20 years, and I think it may be harder for us to look past that.

8timechamps
12/4/2014, 03:22 PM
I've always loved it.

I was in NYC on business once, and we were waiting on a table at a restaurant in soho when I met a guy that played one of the guards in the movie. He said that the director insisted on having everyone stay in character whenever they were on set. He said when they took lunch breaks, the guards would eat together and the 'prisoners' had to eat separate (sometimes in the prison mess hall). It's was cool hearing about the behind the scenes stuff.

olevetonahill
12/4/2014, 03:39 PM
As a resident younger member, I finally watched it about a year ago. I liked it, but I wouldn't say I LOVED it. Perhaps I would have liked it more had I been older and gotten to see it when it came out. Movies have come a long way in the last 20 years, and I think it may be harder for us to look past that.

A great movie is NOT just the Cinematology and special effects. Its the story behind the show.
Gone with the wind and Casablanca are 2 examples of timeless classics

Eielson
12/4/2014, 04:35 PM
A great movie is NOT just the Cinematology and special effects. Its the story behind the show.
Gone with the wind and Casablanca are 2 examples of timeless classics

I know it's not JUST cinematology and special effects, but that plays a role.

Like I said, I did like it. I just think nostalgia would help offset everything else.

olevetonahill
12/4/2014, 04:53 PM
I know it's not JUST cinematology and special effects, but that plays a role.

Like I said, I did like it. I just think nostalgia would help offset everything else.

Just curious, What in your opinion is the greatest movie you've seen in your life?

Eielson
12/4/2014, 04:58 PM
Just curious, What in your opinion is the greatest movie you've seen in your life?

My favorite is Gladiator.

olevetonahill
12/4/2014, 05:17 PM
My favorite is Gladiator.

Ill have to watch a few clips, I really havnt watched a Movie in years

yermom
12/4/2014, 06:28 PM
Badiator?

see, this one just never impressed me because of older movies i had seen.

Joaquin Phoenix is a ***** (birth canal) compared to Malcolm McDowell when it comes to evil Romans

8timechamps
12/4/2014, 11:55 PM
Gladiator was a good flick, but not in my all time top 10 list.

Speaking of movies, anyone seen Interstellar? Thoughts?

Eielson
12/5/2014, 12:40 AM
I didn't mean to come on here and start an argument about whether or not Gladiator is better than Shawshank Redemption. I was just asked what my personal favorite movie was, and so I answered.

olevetonahill
12/5/2014, 01:11 AM
I didn't mean to come on here and start an argument about whether or not Gladiator is better than Shawshank Redemption. I was just asked what my personal favorite movie was, and so I answered.

And yer entitled to your opinion. Ive seen a Lot of Great movies, its just that in say the last 35 years er so I was too dayum busy making a Living and raising kids I dint have time for much, when I had quite time I wanted to spend it with my Boys huntin an fishin.
I think ive watched maybe 5 movies in the last 15 years and I really couldnt tell ya the names of them:welcoming:

Blue
12/5/2014, 08:11 PM
"Andy Dufraine crawled through a mile of **** and came out clean on the other side..."

"Husband to a murdered wife, father to a murdered son, and I will have my vengeance in this life or the next..."

Both awesome and classics.

8timechamps
12/5/2014, 11:30 PM

No worries, it's like the off season is starting a little early.

On a similar note, I recently watched a National Geographic special about the Colosseum, and it floored me. I had no idea how advanced the Romans were in their engineering/building techniques. I knew they were ahead of their time in their city planning and innovation, but the Colosseum is an unbelievable accomplishment.