PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska Fires Pellini

FaninAma
11/30/2014, 11:31 AM
Reported on Espn.

I think they already have his replacement lined up.

Veritas
11/30/2014, 12:15 PM
Haven't been here in years but this is the one place I knew I could come in semi-anonymity to ****ing let it rip.

I hate the ****ing Nebraska fan base. Bunch of delusional whiney ****tards, most of which have never lived outside the state. There is absolutely zero sense of what success looks like other than national championships. These are the same stupid mother****ers that wanted to run Tom Osborne off in the 1980's because he wasn't beating OU/FSU/Miami frequently enough. All he managed to do was win the Big 8 five of 10 years and play for the title multiple times (too lazy to look up the actual number).

Nebraska is super duper ****ed. The chances of our being a contender ever again were slim, now they're none. Fire two 9 win coaches in a decade with the parity we have in modern football? Un****ingreasonable unfulfillable expectations.

****. ****ity **** ****.

birddog
11/30/2014, 12:40 PM
Well many people still feel the same about stoops, going back to when you posted regularly

Flagstaffsooner
11/30/2014, 01:02 PM
Does it matter?

Soonerfan88
11/30/2014, 01:05 PM
While working between Omaha and KC areas, I met many Neb fans. And trust me, his description is right on. Also, many are only friendly on Saturday in Lincoln. Don't challenge their delusions or it could get ugly. It's sad when K-State fans are the most reasonable group around you.

And I don't think they would be firing Solich right now. I believe this is more about Pelini's character and demeanor than the 3 losses every year.

bluedogok
11/30/2014, 02:10 PM
Pelini is another classic case of not all coordinators are meant to be head coaches. The administration probably doesn't like the way he "represents" the public face of the school and football program.

Is there still bad blood towards Bohl there? I would think he would be the most likely candidate after his success at NDSU. He would probably leave Wyoming in a heartbeat for Nebraska if things are fine between them.

lexsooner
11/30/2014, 02:51 PM
Haven't been here in years but this is the one place I knew I could come in semi-anonymity to ****ing let it rip.

I hate the ****ing Nebraska fan base. Bunch of delusional whiney ****tards, most of which have never lived outside the state. There is absolutely zero sense of what success looks like other than national championships. These are the same stupid mother****ers that wanted to run Tom Osborne off in the 1980's because he wasn't beating OU/FSU/Miami frequently enough. All he managed to do was win the Big 8 five of 10 years and play for the title multiple times (too lazy to look up the actual number).

Nebraska is super duper ****ed. The chances of our being a contender ever again were slim, now they're none. Fire two 9 win coaches in a decade with the parity we have in modern football? Un****ingreasonable unfulfillable expectations.

****. ****ity **** ****.

Welcome back, V. It looks like you took the m----- f------ words out of Pelini's c----s------ mouth.

Veritas
11/30/2014, 03:05 PM
Bohl was fired for failing to keep his peen out of the cheerleaders. I think that'll keep him off any lists.

bluedogok
11/30/2014, 05:12 PM
Bohl was fired for failing to keep his peen out of the cheerleaders. I think that'll keep him off any lists.
I wasn't sure what the problem was other than there was some issue that pushed him out.

Chad Morris announced as the new SMU coach. I think he probably jumped too early.
Dallas Morning News - SMU to announce Chad Morris hiring on Monday (http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20141130-smu-to-announce-chad-morris-hiring-on-monday.ece)

FaninAma
11/30/2014, 05:28 PM

****. ****ity **** ****.
My in-laws are huge Nebraska fans and feel the same way. It would have been much easier to try and tweak a 9-3 program than to start over. All they needed to do was look at how Michigan is doing.

8timechamps
11/30/2014, 06:19 PM

****. ****ity **** ****.

Good to see your still alive!!

Considering the year Nebraska has had, I'm shocked that they let him go. Sadly, I think you're correct, I think Nebraska is in for a long walk in the wilderness.

rock on sooner
11/30/2014, 06:36 PM
Well, what he wins 9 games almost all the time, just won a very entertaining OT
game at Iowa, not diddling the help, as far as I know, but, just isn't as diplomatic
as Dr. Tom was, so adios and don't let the door hit you on the a$$!

Husker fans, so long as I can remember (and that is a LONG time) really do fall into
Veritas description. Solich got the shaft, imo, so, good luck to whoever is coming
along to "hep 'em out"...heh, wonder if it's Mack? Some pretty big names out there,
already!

bluedogok
11/30/2014, 06:55 PM
I saw one article that mentioned Justin Fuente as a possible candidate.

Curly Bill
11/30/2014, 07:00 PM

Can I hope there are articles mentioning Josh Heupel as a candidate?

bluedogok
11/30/2014, 07:05 PM
Can I hope there are articles mentioning Josh Heupel as a candidate?
Haven't seen any and the SMU job has been filled.

This link has Gundy as possible and Venables as a long shot.
13 Coaching Candidates to Replace Bo Pelini at Nebraska (http://network.yardbarker.com/college_football/article_external/13_coaching_candidates_to_replace_bo_pelini_at_neb raska/17813009)

olevetonahill
11/30/2014, 07:29 PM
Bohl was fired for
failing to keep his peen out of the cheerleaders. I think that'll keep him off any lists.

Well, what he wins 9 games almost all the time, just won a very entertaining OT
game at Iowa,
not diddling the help, as far as I know, but, just isn't as diplomatic
as Dr. Tom was, so adios and don't let the door hit you on the a$$!

Husker fans, so long as I can remember (and that is a LONG time) really do fall into
Veritas description. Solich got the shaft, imo, so, good luck to whoever is coming
along to "hep 'em out"...heh, wonder if it's Mack? Some pretty big names out there,
already!

I dont want the Jorb if I cant play hide the Salami with the Cheerleaders !

8timechamps
11/30/2014, 07:40 PM

Fuente is going to be a hot commodity this off season. He's worked a minor miracle in Memphis, and should get his shot at a bigger program.

BoulderSooner79
11/30/2014, 07:47 PM

I always wondered why your name doesn't come up in the HC vacancy rumors.

olevetonahill
11/30/2014, 07:59 PM

I always wondered why your name doesn't come up in the HC vacancy rumors.

I know right? Like this has to be Provert discrimination er sompun!

bluedogok
11/30/2014, 08:26 PM
They cover Wyoming some here in Denver, they had a story on Bohl before the season. Evidently he is now married to a TV news person from Fargo that he met while at NDSU. Hopefully that would limit that type of behavior...but that's none of my business. It isn't like the mid-70's days when that stuff wasn't "newsworthy"

rock on sooner
11/30/2014, 09:04 PM

Welp, then keep yer "resume" inside the envelope...hell, that aint
"hard" to figger....'sides all that, I watched the IA-NEB game and
the NEB cheerleaders would prolly run from yer "resume"...jus sayin'..
heh.....

olevetonahill
11/30/2014, 09:22 PM
Welp, then keep yer "resume" inside the envelope...hell, that aint
"hard" to figger....'sides all that, I watched the IA-NEB game and
the NEB cheerleaders would prolly run from yer "resume"...jus sayin'..
heh.....

Hell let em Run, Id have fun chasing em :chuncky:

lexsooner
11/30/2014, 10:45 PM

How could any cheerleader not fall for his good looks, class, and charm?

Sabanball
11/30/2014, 10:52 PM
about time. Pellini is a head case and a program of Nebraska's calibre deserves better.

Eielson
12/1/2014, 12:54 AM
I've had great experiences with Nebraska's fanbase.

BoulderSooner79
12/1/2014, 01:19 AM

Are we still talking cheerleaders?

badger
12/1/2014, 09:51 AM

They are creepy-nice, like they're trying too hard... like sorority rush week greeters who duck out of sight every so often to complain that their face hurts from smiling so much.

Nebraska's basically stating that they are not satisfied with 9, 10 win seasons. That either means that they'll find a coach that can get them 12-14 win seasons, or they'll become Michigan... but they won't take another 9-10 win season. If they didn't basically do the same damn thing 10 years ago, that would be more admirable. But, now that they've taken the plunge, here's hoping they end up with another Bill Callahan :P

FaninAma
12/1/2014, 09:55 AM
They are creepy-nice, like they're trying too hard... like sorority rush week greeters who duck out of sight every so often to complain that their face hurts from smiling so much.

Nebraska's basically stating that they are not satisfied with 9, 10 win seasons. That either means that they'll find a coach that can get them 12-14 win seasons, or they'll become Michigan... but they won't take another 9-10 win season. If they didn't basically do the same damn thing 10 years ago, that would be more admirable. But, now that they've taken the plunge, here's hoping they end up with another Bill Callahan :P

Whatever happens to Nebraska they can take solace in two things:
1. They are in a much better conference than the craptastic Big 12.
2. They don't have to roll over and play Texas' beyotch in the conference any longer.

badger
12/1/2014, 10:03 AM
They are in a much better conference than the craptastic Big 12

So crappy that we may sneak two of our 10 teams into the inaugural college football playoffs. Oh I just don't know how our conference will survive against the almighty 14-team conferences like the SEC, ACC and Big Ten :P

KantoSooner
12/1/2014, 10:36 AM
Whatever happens to Nebraska they can take solace in two things:
1. They are in a much better conference than the craptastic Big 12.
2. They don't have to roll over and play Texas' beyotch in the conference any longer.

You're right. They can take solace in knowing they play in a league that is embodied by the description, "Fat, slow, obsolete loser-ball". It fits Nebs perfectly. AND, instead of taking whatever Texas feels like giving, they can fill themselves with Ohio State's table scraps. AND get access to the all important Minnesota/Dakota's recruiting hot bed.
Yep, they made one heck of a deal there.

tycat947
12/1/2014, 10:40 AM
You're right. They can take solace in knowing they play in a league that is embodied by the description, "Fat, slow, obsolete loser-ball". It fits Nebs perfectly. AND, instead of taking whatever Texas feels like giving, they can fill themselves with Ohio State's table scraps. AND get access to the all important Minnesota/Dakota's recruiting hot bed.

You got that right! :applause:

badger
12/1/2014, 10:40 AM
"Fat, slow, obsolete loser-ball"

They are surrounded by programs who have either yet to announce anything regarding the head coach or that they will keep their mediocre to losing record coach, including Illinois and Indiana, and possibly Iowa and Michigan.

Firing your coach after a 9-win season is sooooo Big 12 of you, Nebraska. You need to start thinking like a Big Ten program and thump your chest while chanting A-A-U! A-A-U!*

*oh wait, that was also only when you were in the Big 12. hahahahahahahahahahaha

FaninAma
12/1/2014, 02:10 PM
Nebraska has never had a real recruiting base. I agree their recruiting was hurt when they left the Big 12 especially in Texas. But could you imagine a team like Oklahoma who does have a legitimate recruiting base in Texas playing in the Big 10? I also think it would help the national recruiting gains Bob and his staff have made in recent years.

And believe me when I say there is a whole new world outside the Big 12 where academics and even other sports besides football are given a higher priority.. The prestige of the Big 12 in these areas sucks and you know it. David Boren would have accepted an invitation to the Big 10 in a heartbeat....just like Osborne and Nebraska did.

rock on sooner
12/1/2014, 02:54 PM

Welp, one exception to the "fat, slow" part is Melvin Gordon...that dude
aint fat and he aint slow, either!

hawaii 5-0
12/1/2014, 03:39 PM
I kinda feel sorry for the guy.

Maybe OU can use a good LB coach.

5-0

Eielson
12/1/2014, 03:41 PM
Nebraska has never had a real recruiting base. I agree their recruiting was hurt when they left the Big 12 especially in Texas. But could you imagine a team like Oklahoma who does have a legitimate recruiting base in Texas playing in the Big 10? I also think it would help the national recruiting gains Bob and his staff have made in recent years.

And believe me when I say there is a whole new world outside the Big 12 where academics and even other sports besides football are given a higher priority.. The prestige of the Big 12 in these areas sucks and you know it. David Boren would have accepted an invitation to the Big 10 in a heartbeat....just like Osborne and Nebraska did.

I thought it was funny when you first brought up the "better conference" thing. It was kinda like "hey look on the bright side, at least you...oh wait there isn't a bright side!" Now I see that you're actually serious. If you're trolling, please remember to use all caps.

I don't really understand how academics come into the conversation when we're talking about how we align our sports teams. If we lose to OSU next week, are you going to say "well at least our students are smarter!" I've gone to school at OU, so I understand the importance of good academics in my life, and I know that's more important than sports, but it's a separate issue. Does OSU's ****-poor academics slow us down?

Also, other sports? Football is king in the college sports, and it brings in enough money here to pay for the rest of our sports program. What other sports are you talking about? Basketball is #2, and the Big XII has been the top conference over the last few years. Are we talking about men's soccer or something?

Why would we want to go to the B10, and what makes you think we didn't have that option? OU could have gone to any conference it wanted. We didn't want to separate from schools like OSU and Texas, so that's why it didn't happen.

badger
12/1/2014, 03:48 PM
It would be fun if ESPN would televise some quiz bowl competition and give the nerds football jerseys and such so we could have academic smack talk... but till then, conference allignment and academics really don't matter.

Since we're talking Nebrasky, consider: Wisconsin voted against them to retain AAU status. So did Michigan. Who voted for them? Texas, who they despised so dearly they declared a red out around the world or whatever.

But, we're taking the high road, or at least our athletic departments are. The game of the century anniversary home and home will happen in a few years and we're both going to covet playing each other annually afterward. Maybe with a bit more time that can be our annual Thanksgiving rivalry game like some other non-conference foes have

FaninAma
12/1/2014, 04:21 PM
I thought it was funny when you first brought up the "better conference" thing. It was kinda like "hey look on the bright side, at least you...oh wait there isn't a bright side!" Now I see that you're actually serious. If you're trolling, please remember to use all caps.

I don't really understand how academics come into the conversation when we're talking about how we align our sports teams. If we lose to OSU next week, are you going to say "well at least our students are smarter!" I've gone to school at OU, so I understand the importance of good academics in my life, and I know that's more important than sports, but it's a separate issue. Does OSU's ****-poor academics slow us down?

Also, other sports? Football is king in the college sports, and it brings in enough money here to pay for the rest of our sports program. What other sports are you talking about? Basketball is #2, and the Big XII has been the top conference over the last few years. Are we talking about men's soccer or something?

Why would we want to go to the B10, and what makes you think we didn't have that option? OU could have gone to any conference it wanted. We didn't want to separate from schools like OSU and Texas, so that's why it didn't happen.

So you actually think the Big 12 has a better brand name than the Big 10? OMG. If that's the case all I can do is shake my head, turn around and walk away because there is no basis for a logical conversation with you. If Boren did turn down an invitation from the Big 10 then OU deserves to be tied to OSU forever.

badger
12/1/2014, 04:27 PM
Some people like Pepsi, some people like Coke. You're not going to change people's mind easily, if ever when they've got a favorite, and there's nothing wrong with that.

KantoSooner
12/1/2014, 04:59 PM
Fanin, my point was restricted to football and here, in no particular order, are some elements of my reasoning:
The BIG is fading as a nationally relevant conference. Partially it's because of depopulation (they still have an adequate base for recruiting, but have lost lots of pop to warmer/sunnier realms, so the gap that once existed has closed and now runs against them) partially its because their high schools are no longer anywhere close to those in Texas, Florida, Cali and, to a slightly lesser extent, the old South and Oklahoma. Some of it may be cyclical, but I'm less and less convinced they are coming back.
Nebraska itself is in an increasingly negative position in terms of drawing kids. Their glory days are now before the birth of most of the recruits. And Lincoln, for all it's a nice enough town has very little to offer a young person. You might say the same for OU, but Norman started off with more than Lincoln....and has added more both in Norman and enjoys the real renaissance of OKC. And the situation is irresolvable for Nebraska since they simply don't have the population base to drive any sort of even quasi-urban vibe.
Finally, I don't see any hint that the administration at UN gets it.
And, as you say, there's a lot more going on out there to compete for attention with football. So, my conclusion is that UN is likely on a downhill slide into 'Iowa' like status...for much the same reasons that Iowa blazed a trail there.
There were lots of reasons for Nebs to take off for the BIG, but football was certainly not one of them.

Eielson
12/1/2014, 05:16 PM
So you actually think the Big 12 has a better brand name than the Big 10? OMG. If that's the case all I can do is shake my head, turn around and walk away because there is no basis for a logical conversation with you. If Boren did turn down an invitation from the Big 10 then OU deserves to be tied to OSU forever.

Maybe you could try to explain this instead of pretending to be superior.

Big XII Football > Big X Football, and basketball depends on the year. Those are the sports that most people care about, and we come out on top in the comparison. It's also a better location for us, as it makes more sense to play schools like Texas and OSU instead of Michigan and Wisconsin.

What is it that makes the Big X so much better?

KantoSooner
12/1/2014, 05:25 PM

They were hot Shiite in the raccoon coat era, that's what!

cvsooner
12/1/2014, 05:29 PM
Pelini had a couple of really good teams in 2009 and 2010. Though I don't care for the guy, and I thought Suh was a punkish jerk (much like Baylor's Oakman), the 'Huskers got screwed by the refs against Texas in the conf. title game--anybody remember the infamous out of bounds pass that supposedly flew and stopped the clock? Texas went on to the national championship game.

Then in 2010 we had one of the better OU comebacks in recent history...possibly Landry Jones' finest game, especially after his terrible game against that very team the year before.

badger
12/1/2014, 05:31 PM

They have a lot of flagships among their 14, so there's that. When it comes to the casual fans in those states, they have a lot of pull and thus, more political clout, a bigger TV footprint, blah blah Big Ten Network boring 11 a.m. games galore.

There's also something to be said for having 14 schools versus 10, even if thought of watching Northwestern football makes your eyes crust over as a defense mechanism against abysmality.

Having 10 works for us, but if we could add some quality or have an equitably agreement with a nearby conference to merge into 24 (and have divisions a la the NFL's AFC or NFC) that would be fun. Or, if BYU and Notre Dame would get off their high horses and join a football conference, that would be nice too.

olevetonahill
12/1/2014, 06:09 PM
Lets get this thread back to Important stuff Like Boinkin the Cheerleaders and such

birddog
12/1/2014, 06:15 PM
So, before we get back to the cheerleaders we need to line up the conferences, team by team. Starting at the top and working down. Would Baylor beat tosu? Yes, in academics and football, and so on. Big 12 would win on the field and big 10 would win in the classroom. Personally I'll take football over lab class.

cvsooner
12/1/2014, 06:27 PM
Biggest failure I see is the Big Ten has 14 teams and the Big 12 has ten. Okay, math isn't my strongest suit, but at least can we come up with better names for the conferences?

cvsooner
12/1/2014, 06:28 PM
So, before we get back to the cheerleaders we need to line up the conferences, team by team. Starting at the top and working down. Would Baylor beat tosu? Yes, in academics and football, and so on. Big 12 would win on the field and big 10 would win in the classroom. Personally I'll take football over lab class.

I dunno. Baylor can claim the likes of such sterling grads as Rand Paul. Doesn't say much for academics.

badger
12/1/2014, 06:30 PM
Biggest failure I see is the Big Ten has 14 teams and the Big 12 has ten. Okay, math isn't my strongest suit, but at least can we come up with better names for the conferences?

it actually suits both of our conferences quite well when you think about. The Big Ten wants to live in its past glory days of "ten," while the Big 12 is optimistic for the future that someday there will be 12 teams again.

Any yes, both are probably as foolish as the others for that hopeless optimism, but that's part of what makes sports sports.

BoulderSooner79
12/1/2014, 06:40 PM
Pelini had a couple of really good teams in 2009 and 2010. Though I don't care for the guy, and I thought Suh was a punkish jerk (much like Baylor's Oakman), the 'Huskers got screwed by the refs against Texas in the conf. title game--anybody remember the infamous out of bounds pass that supposedly flew and stopped the clock? Texas went on to the national championship game.

Then in 2010 we had one of the better OU comebacks in recent history...possibly Landry Jones' finest game, especially after his terrible game against that very team the year before.

As I recall, the refs got it right. I'll add the caveat that assuming the rules stated what the announcers claimed, then the refs got it right. The ball struck the ground out of bounds with a tick left on the clock. So if that is indeed when the clock is supposed to stop and it is a reviewable play, then they got it right.

8timechamps
12/1/2014, 07:35 PM

If we're talking football, the Big XII brand is much better than the Big 10. The Big 10 has done nothing in football for a long time.

And don't be so quick to assume if OU went to the Big 10 that recruits would follow. OU is a big player in Texas high school recruiting because of location, but the one thing that trumps the location is that many of the games will be played in Texas. If OU were to leave the Big XII for the Big 10, you can guarantee that Texas recruiting would take a major hit.

cvsooner
12/1/2014, 07:35 PM
As I recall, the refs got it right. I'll add the caveat that assuming the rules stated what the announcers claimed, then the refs got it right. The ball struck the ground out of bounds with a tick left on the clock. So if that is indeed when the clock is supposed to stop and it is a reviewable play, then they got it right.

I remember it took some infamous hairsplitting and tenths of a second on the clock, which I never realized was a part of football. Something like 0.1 seconds left on the clock when the ball hit a railing or something? And the big question was does the clock stop when the ball is in the air crossing out of bounds or when it strikes a surface? Either way, it sure looked to me like Texas got the benefit of the doubt that day. Big surprise, I know.

Eielson
12/1/2014, 07:44 PM
If we're talking football, the Big XII brand is much better than the Big 10. The Big 10 has done nothing in football for a long time.

And don't be so quick to assume if OU went to the Big 10 that recruits would follow. OU is a big player in Texas high school recruiting because of location, but the one thing that trumps the location is that many of the games will be played in Texas. If OU were to leave the Big XII for the Big 10, you can guarantee that Texas recruiting would take a major hit.

Not to mention, we'd even start losing out on a lot of recruiting battles in our very own state to OSU. Nobody in Oklahoma wants to go to Big 10 country. If we went SEC we'd be just fine (probably better), and the same goes for Pac-12. We'd be shooting ourselves in the foot by going to the Big 10, though, and there is no way anybody with half a brain would consider it.

cvsooner
12/1/2014, 08:24 PM
I'd vote for the Pac 12 myself...then I might actually get to see some games from time to time without spending $1500 in airfare, lodging, tickets, etc.

Veritas
12/1/2014, 09:37 PM
It's funny, grass is greener...IMO the Big XII brand is much much better than the B1Gs. Big 10 hasn't done **** in football for 30 years, the OSU surprise in 2001 notwithstanding. I felt the move to the conference was a mistake at the time, now I'm sure. Big XII has to get a championship game going again though, you can't be a big boy conference without one.

Like I think Eielson was saying, who gives a ratsh*t about academics? Acadamics is what losing teams talk about after they got their *** kicked. Give me a few less All Americans for Alabamas record? DEAL.

BoulderSooner79
12/1/2014, 09:45 PM
I remember it took some infamous hairsplitting and tenths of a second on the clock, which I never realized was a part of football. Something like 0.1 seconds left on the clock when the ball hit a railing or something? And the big question was does the clock stop when the ball is in the air crossing out of bounds or when it strikes a surface? Either way, it sure looked to me like Texas got the benefit of the doubt that day. Big surprise, I know.

Just watched it on youtube and it was pretty cut and dried. The ball hit the ground pretty far out of bounds and the clock showed 1. So they were not trying to determine when it crossed the boundary or something crazy like that. There was no way to know how much time was left since the granularity of the game clock is in seconds and it will read 1 right up until the microsecond it turns to zero. Not really much for NU fans to protest other than not liking it :surprise: I personally don't know the exact rule, but I don't remember anyone quoting a broken rule afterward. I don't think the horns got special treatment.

Salt City Sooner
12/2/2014, 02:25 AM
The call in question:

_w0GKLUNyoA

DBrown
12/2/2014, 03:48 AM
Well remember this...."from the time you are born,until you ride in a hearse things are never so bad that they couldn't be worse"!
Bo just had such a "great love for his fanbase" and his loose tongue was all the excuse needed for the 2 parties to cut ties.

FaninAma
12/2/2014, 11:39 AM
Maybe you could try to explain this instead of pretending to be superior.

Big XII Football > Big X Football, and basketball depends on the year. Those are the sports that most people care about, and we come out on top in the comparison. It's also a better location for us, as it makes more sense to play schools like Texas and OSU instead of Michigan and Wisconsin.

If you are an executive of a major sporting network are you really going to try and convinve your superiors that a conference with ten teams that consist of 2 marquee schools(OU and Texas) and several refugees from mediocre conferences is comparable to a conference with 14 schools consisting of at least 4 marquee programs(OSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State) and several other flagship universities that have been in the conference for generations?

Let's not even bring academics into the discussion. The Big 12, as it currently exists, is a patchwork of UT and OU hanger-ons and refugees from other conferences. Its stability is tenuous at best and apparently its very existence is primarily due to the pressure of political hacks who are forcing OU to stay bound to OSU under threat of retaliation.

FaninAma
12/2/2014, 11:43 AM
Not to mention, we'd even start losing out on a lot of recruiting battles in our very own state to OSU. Nobody in Oklahoma wants to go to Big 10 country. If we went SEC we'd be just fine (probably better), and the same goes for Pac-12. We'd be shooting ourselves in the foot by going to the Big 10, though, and there is no way anybody with half a brain would consider it.

You don't think recruits would prefer playing programs like Michigan, OSU, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan State, Penn State to Baylor, TCU, WV, TT, KSU? Really? I think we are losing out on recruits because we are in the Big 12 becuase it lacks star power.

badger
12/2/2014, 12:07 PM
You don't think recruits would prefer playing programs like Michigan, OSU, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan State, Penn State to Baylor, TCU, WV, TT, KSU? Really? I think we are losing out on recruits because we are in the Big 12 becuase it lacks star power.

See now you're falling into the Aggie trap of naming the best programs of one conference and comparing it to the Big 12's bottom. As in, "I'd rather play Alabama, LSU and Florida than Iowa State and Tech." That was the argument over and over in heading to the SEC, while also still being like "But we still get to play TU on Thanksgiving, right?"

Here, let me try my hand at it: "I can't believe Nebraska gave up playing powerhouses like OU and Texas to play against crappy teams like Northwestern and Indiana." :P

FaninAma
12/2/2014, 12:24 PM
See now you're falling into the Aggie trap of naming the best programs of one conference and comparing it to the Big 12's bottom. As in, "I'd rather play Alabama, LSU and Florida than Iowa State and Tech." That was the argument over and over in heading to the SEC, while also still being like "But we still get to play TU on Thanksgiving, right?"

Here, let me try my hand at it: "I can't believe Nebraska gave up playing powerhouses like OU and Texas to play against crappy teams like Northwestern and Indiana." :P

Ok, I'll play. Kansas, TT, KSU, TCU, Baylor, WV, okie state v. Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota. I tried to compare the programs with the least tradition and the least desirable playing venues for fans.

Out of the Big 12 teams I listed Kansas/TCU have the best venue for fans to travel to. I suspect any team in the Big 10 has a more desirable home venue(i.e city) than Lubbock, Waco, Stillwater, Manhattan. Not sure about WV.

And if you are honest about it, you really can't take academic reputation out of the picture, either. That is what yanks the chains of all the University boards of regents and Presidents and allows them to sleep at night after signing off of hundreds of millions of dollars of expenditures for non-academic pursuits. Or do you deny academic considerations hurt okie state, TT and maybe OU when the Pac 10 saga was hot and heavy?

Staying in the Big 12 does offer the advantage of traveling to closer venues for away games.

I think the 'which is the better conference" issue will be moot in the near future when the P5 teams break away from the NCAA. I think we'll see massive realignment at that point.

badger
12/2/2014, 12:41 PM
Yeah, the media types tried to rank all the Big 12 teams vs the SEC teams after Bob Stoops was calling out the conference for not being great top to bottom. If only they started from the bottom instead of the top. After all, there's 14 SEC team and 10 Big 12 teams. Why does the SEC/Big Ten get four freebies in comparisons?

I think the 'which is the better conference" issue will be moot in the near future when the P5 teams break away from the NCAA. I think we'll see massive realignment at that point.

It will be for the best. Perhaps the little guys like UAB will survive and not have to keep up with the market on head/assistant coaching salaries and facilities, while the big boys can play big boy football. More importantly, teams like Texas and A&M will be able to play each other on Thanksgiving again and not have to get all cheeky with alternates. We could play Nebraska annually. Kansas and Missouri could get back to their rivalry... and so on :mack: :rcmad:

Eielson
12/2/2014, 04:17 PM
If you are an executive of a major sporting network are you really going to try and convinve your superiors that a conference with ten teams that consist of 2 marquee schools(OU and Texas) and several refugees from mediocre conferences is comparable to a conference with 14 schools consisting of at least 4 marquee programs(OSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State) and several other flagship universities that have been in the conference for generations?

Let's not even bring academics into the discussion. The Big 12, as it currently exists, is a patchwork of UT and OU hanger-ons and refugees from other conferences. Its stability is tenuous at best and apparently its very existence is primarily due to the pressure of political hacks who are forcing OU to stay bound to OSU under threat of retaliation.

Gotta keep up with the times. Baylor, Oklahoma State, TCU, and KSU may not sound like powerhouses to you, but they have been in National Championships hunts more recently than programs like Michigan, Nebraska, and Penn State, and I don't see that changing for at least another 5-10 years. If things change 10 years from now, we can make the switch then, but there's no reason to now. Of course, I still wouldn't want to go into that geographic region.

Also, just about any student would tell you that the OSU game has been the best game for several years now. It's not just some political scam that's holding us together. We want to keep that game, and it would be a bad move to leave them or Texas.

Eielson
12/2/2014, 04:30 PM

I'm not spitting out random speculation. I played HS football in Oklahoma not too long ago, and I still have connections with a few coaches, and this is coming straight out of their mouths. Nobody in Oklahoma has interest in going to a Big 10 school.

If you don't trust me, you can start looking around at where Oklahoma HS players go on to play. Lots of Big XII schools, several SEC schools, a handful of Pac-12 schools, and almost no Big 10 schools (Mizzou did get a commit, but they were still Big XII at the time I believe).

https://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/rankings/2014

8timechamps
12/2/2014, 04:48 PM

That's exactly what Nebraska is dealing with...their Texas pipeline is nothing like it was even 10 years ago. Ohio and Pennsylvania are great states to recruit, but they just don't match Texas in pure numbers. So, Nebraska is recruiting those states with everyone else in the conference (plus the national brands, even OU recruits those states). Texas is recruited by a lot of schools too, but OU has an advantage of playing in a Texas heavy conference. So, recruits know they'll get to play close to home on a several occasions.

Growing up, the Big 10 was a legitimate conference, and had a lot of clout. Those times are gone (at least for now). Michigan and Ohio State are the flagship schools of that conference, and only tOSU is relevant anymore. It'll be years before Penn State is back to where they once were and other than Michigan State (who isn't a strong national brand) there just isn't anything to draw people in to watch.

The Big XII was a crappy conference right after the departure of Mizzou, Nebraska, Colorado and A&M, but since that time Bowlsby has done an incredible job of resurrecting the image of the conference. We're in a really good place right now.

KantoSooner
12/2/2014, 04:52 PM
Agreed, 8TC, but hunker down, the Nattering Nabobs of Negativity will no doubt be in for a strafing run on your position in 3, 2, 1....

8timechamps
12/2/2014, 04:53 PM
Agreed, 8TC, but hunker down, the Nattering Nabobs of Negativity will no doubt be in for a strafing run on your position in 3, 2, 1....

I'm manning the AA guns as we speak.

cvsooner
12/2/2014, 05:18 PM
I'd take Nebraska back. Mizzou too (though they probably wouldn't come...they're playing for as many SEC titles as they ever did for the Big 12). A & M and Colorado can take a flying leap.