PDA

View Full Version : Signal Accusations at Tech

soonergirlNeugene
11/17/2014, 07:19 PM
Texas Tech interim defensive coordinator Mike Smith blasted former Red Raiders defensive coordinator Matt Wallerstedt on Monday, accusing him of giving away the team's defensive signals to opponents.

"It's not right to me, it's not fair to the kids," Smith told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. "So if that's how that person wants to handle business, they can handle business that way.

That person knows. I know. A lot of people know. Bad deal. Karma's a bad deal. You don't mess with that, especially in this profession.

- Mike Smith, Texas Tech DC,
on former coach Matt Wallerstedt,
to the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
"I sure hope I don't run into him anytime soon."

Wallerstedt abruptly resigned Sept. 18 after sources told ESPN.com the coach was suspected of being under the influence of an unknown substance while on campus. Kliff Kingsbury replaced Wallerstedt with Smith, who had been coaching linebackers.

Wallerstedt has since been hired as a defensive consultant at Louisiana-Lafayette, and denied the accusations through his attorney.

"I have not shared with anyone the Red Raiders defensive signals. I respect the players at Texas Tech and would never do such a thing." Wallerstedt said in a statement. "It sounds like something that's done in the political arena - blaming someone else for what you now control. Coach Kingsbury and Smith would do well to simply execute their own game plan instead of trying to blame others for what may be their own shortcomings."

After giving up 384 yards on the ground in a 42-30 loss to Oklahoma over the weekend, Tech dropped to 122nd nationally in total defense.

Smith said the Tech staff suspected their defensive signals had been comprised before the Oklahoma game. After he and others on the staff asked around, Smith charged that Wallerstedt had offered Tech's signals to other opponents, too.

"I know other coaches have called and our signals have been passed around the whole time," Smith said. "I do believe in karma, and I believe stuff like that will come back and haunt you."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11892993/texas-tech-red-raiders-coordinator-accuses-former-coach-matt-wallerstedt-tipping-opponents

Please tell me we didn't need this to beat Tech..

Breadburner
11/17/2014, 07:23 PM
Did he give them to everyone Tech has played for the last 2 years....

soonergirlNeugene
11/17/2014, 07:26 PM
I wonder what Leach and Mayfield think about Tech's karma.

BoulderSooner79
11/17/2014, 07:26 PM
I'm sure we had the signals. Without them, there is no Perine runs over those poor DBs like that.

SicEmBaylor
11/17/2014, 07:41 PM
Reminds me of the **** Sumlin pulled when he took the Houston job from Briles. CAB wanted to leave Houston in good shape, so he left the next coach all of the hand signals he used along with some other offensive material. The story goes that after Sumlin took the job, he faxed all of the material CAB left him to the OU staff. At that point, I don't think OU really needed it so I don't blame them but Sumlin is overrated trash, imo.

rock on sooner
11/17/2014, 08:11 PM
Please tell me we didn't need this to beat Tech..

Welp, if we did why the hell did we wait till the 2nd half?

birddog
11/17/2014, 08:28 PM
We only had the signals they use for the 2nd half!

OUinFLA
11/17/2014, 08:28 PM
Im confused, is it difficult for a "new" coach to change the signals?

swardboy
11/17/2014, 08:35 PM
Apparently in Lubbock it is.

aero
11/17/2014, 08:44 PM
their defense only uses 2 hand signals

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSu0R-mWxP5WtxLgSrQhHuty3ZaJSFJcUVx6Zw-4WM5PrqsBCAMhttps://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYxF3fzv7JGmyqB1T83RxBkb5NJTZyJ 8_2x6bRg-vq2URHgqxxaQ

8timechamps
11/17/2014, 10:55 PM
These stories are always funny to me.

Signals are NOT HARD to steal. Good coaches keep them changing, from week to week. Otherwise, how hard is it to watch a few games and recognize patterns? I think it's funny that they fired the DC (obviously not on good terms) and didn't immediately change the signs/signals.

Tech's D-coordinator is trying to deflect from his team's horrible performance (all year). Sounds like he's a whiny little bitch...looking to blame someone else.

That program is a dumpster fire, and has only gotten worse under Kliff. The best part is the contract extension and raise they gave him prior to the season.

olevetonahill
11/17/2014, 11:31 PM
Im confused, is it difficult for a "new" coach to change the signals?

These stories are always funny to me.

Signals are NOT HARD to steal. Good coaches keep them changing, from week to week. Otherwise, how hard is it to watch a few games and recognize patterns? I think it's funny that they fired the DC (obviously not on good terms) and didn't immediately change the signs/signals.

Tech's D-coordinator is trying to deflect from his team's horrible performance (all year). Sounds like he's a whiny little bitch...looking to blame someone else.

That program is a dumpster fire, and has only gotten worse under Kliff. The best part is the contract extension and raise they gave him prior to the season.

Bingo, You both win !

Tear Down This Wall
11/18/2014, 11:41 AM
Idiotic. Tech doesn't play defense, and hasn't stressed it since Spike Dykes retired. Every opposing coach knows they suck.

KantoSooner
11/18/2014, 12:02 PM
Is anyone else enjoying the pattern that Tech has established? Some senior person, say the HC, or the Pres or a Regent or someone decides someone has to go. Then there are allegations of personal misconduct, then they're fired regardless of denials, then their contracts are torn up.
I do believe I'd hold out for a substantial signing bonus were I hiring on there. Because it doesn't sound like their commitments, spoken or written are worth Shiite.

badger
11/18/2014, 12:29 PM
My dear husband's first reaction: Why didn't they change the signals?

His second reaction reading off twitter: But they forgot to give the signals to the Tech defensive players :D:D:D:D

My own reaction? Texas Tech must explain to boosters, ticket holders and the athletic administration why they are 3-7. That's 8th in the Big 12, with games against Iowa State (away) and Baylor (home) left. Their only wins are Central Arkansas (a 6-win Southland Conferenec team), UTEP (a 6-win C-USA team) and Kansas (They have 3 wins so they're just above ISU in Big 12's basement).

So derrrrp derrrp they have our defensive signals derrrrp so we are losing cuz they're cheating derrrrrp.

As Mike Stoops so eloquently said last week, "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying." (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/mike-stoops-on-stealing-signals-if-you-ain-t-cheating/article_bc909cef-61c4-5412-aa57-52e9ef77cdcb.html)

PS: Free Baker Mayfield!

Tear Down This Wall
11/18/2014, 02:49 PM
Is anyone else enjoying the pattern that Tech has established? Some senior person, say the HC, or the Pres or a Regent or someone decides someone has to go. Then there are allegations of personal misconduct, then they're fired regardless of denials, then their contracts are torn up.
I do believe I'd hold out for a substantial signing bonus were I hiring on there. Because it doesn't sound like their commitments, spoken or written are worth Shiite.

Texas Tech is the prime example of why we needed to leave the Big 12 three years ago when we had the opportunity. Look at these idiots we've tied ourselves to simply for the sake of taking a bigger share of the monetary pie and being able to call the shots. As if we weren't going to make money in the SEC. And, the ridiculous power play.

Idiotic to the end, the decision to keep sharing a conference with these moronic Southwest Conference refugees.

I hope our most monied booster and alumni will someday soon wake up, like the Texas cash cows finally did, and force out Boren and Castiglione.

KantoSooner
11/18/2014, 03:48 PM
TDTW, if you harbor any illusions that the SEC is not filled to the brim with back-biting, BS and money grubbing, then you're kidding yourself. The SEC is a large conference and thus they produce, annually, 1-2 outstanding FB teams and 1-2 basketball teams. They are also a nice neat little ball so that everyone is kind of close together and kind of from the same part of the country (though I'd argue that South Georgia is a different, and very much worse, planet.)

I certainly wouldn't have wept had we gone to the SEC, though doing that would have essentially thrown out 20 years of trying to improve OU's academics and put the kibosh of that ambition pretty much forever. And it's too bad that Deloss could not be held in check enough to hold onto TAMC, Misery, Nebs and Co if for no other reason than critical mass. And that's what I wish we'd done. I'm an old Big 8 guy at heart. But, given the options, what we should have done is go west.

But those options are done. There's still more than enough talent for us to field championship teams if we pull our heads out of our anii and get on with it.

EatLeadCommie
11/18/2014, 03:55 PM
So what hand signal does Taco Tech use to indicate "Tackle the opposing f-ing player!" That is their problem even more than schemes. They are a horrific tackling team.

8timechamps
11/18/2014, 05:36 PM
TDTW, if you harbor any illusions that the SEC is not filled to the brim with back-biting, BS and money grubbing, then you're kidding yourself. The SEC is a large conference and thus they produce, annually, 1-2 outstanding FB teams and 1-2 basketball teams. They are also a nice neat little ball so that everyone is kind of close together and kind of from the same part of the country (though I'd argue that South Georgia is a different, and very much worse, planet.)

I certainly wouldn't have wept had we gone to the SEC, though doing that would have essentially thrown out 20 years of trying to improve OU's academics and put the kibosh of that ambition pretty much forever. And it's too bad that Deloss could not be held in check enough to hold onto TAMC, Misery, Nebs and Co if for no other reason than critical mass. And that's what I wish we'd done. I'm an old Big 8 guy at heart. But, given the options, what we should have done is go west.

But those options are done. There's still more than enough talent for us to field championship teams if we pull our heads out of our anii and get on with it.

Very well summed up Kanto.

What's done is done.

The Big XII was a mess a couple of years ago, but I have to give credit to the leadership for pushing through and coming out the other side in good shape.

It's also worth noting that there is no such thing as "smooth sailing" in other conferences. The politics and power plays are alive and well in every major conference. It's a business now, and the players treat it as such.

KantoSooner
11/18/2014, 05:44 PM
So what hand signal does Taco Tech use to indicate "Tackle the opposing f-ing player!" That is their problem even more than schemes. They are a horrific tackling team.

Ah! That.

Well, it starts with the coach's knees bent a bit and his back tilted forward 15 degrees. Both arms are extended toward the front, bent at the elbow with the hands tilted slightly palms up in the classic 'WTF was that?' pose. THEN, the coach makes fists and hammers the air in the 'no, No, NO!' gesture and finally stands fully erect with a double face palm, shoulders slumped.

Throwing his hat/visor/headset to the ground is optional but can be used to emphasize the overall message.

And, seriously, we should be talking about crape' tackling.

Tear Down This Wall
11/19/2014, 10:44 AM

You pretend that the academics have anything to do with athletics. They do not. If so, then require the schools to accept the athletes under the same standards are other students, okay? It's a joke.

As far as going to the SEC versus staying in what is now Southwest Conference Lite, yes there are politics; but, the money is split evenly. OU and Texas did not want an even split of money. They call the shots in the SWC Lite and wanted to keep it that way.

And, they other schools in SWC Lite didn't argue because they know they are just a step away from Conference USA, anyway. Their clout level nationally is dick.

Baylor, for example, is so paranoid about the real football schools going that they threatened to sue Texas A&M for leaving the conference. What are they going to do when Texas and OU decide to leave? It's not our fault that they suck and no one is inviting them into their conferences, okay?

We had a chance to jump out and play better competition while making the same or better money. Castiglione got way too chummy with Dodds at Texas, and so we are stuck here. Boren is f*cking lost anyway. He had to be forced to even deal with something as trivial as a band issue...that little faggot they hired had screwed up the Pride and he didn't care until the money started rebelling.

So, Boren in dealing with bigger issues like conferences? He'd be the most lost person in the room. Boren should stick to the academics side of the equation and leave the athletics to people who might know what is happening.

birddog
11/19/2014, 10:48 AM
That swc lite is clever!

KantoSooner
11/19/2014, 11:22 AM
Anger much, Wall?
Maybe Boren is trying to build a university the football team can be proud of. Academic standards of the institution as a whole matter more than those of the athletic department. And, frankly, though I'm sure there are more than one or two athletes who'd struggle to gain admission were they not athletes, there are also more than a few who do just fine in the classroom.
And, moving to the SEC would be a step down, academically, for OU as an institution.
And, since it's Boren's job to mind the future of the University, not just the team(s), he made a good call; though I think it might have made even more sense to go to the Pac12.
I'll repeat, there is enough talent out there for us to recruit, and compete, at a national level. That we have not, of late, is a combination of bad luck (injuries, the predilection of some recruits to play with themselves in public, yadda, yadda) and failures of the coaching staff to recruit, coach, motivate and game plan at a national level.
I like that Boren and Castiglione are seen as supportive to Bob, by Bob and by others. I don't like strife in my management teams. On the other hand, one would hope that very serious discussions have been had about what needs to go on henceforth.
Going to the SEC would not have resolved those failings, nor would it do so today.

TAFBSooner
11/19/2014, 03:37 PM
Academic standards of the institution as a whole matter more than those of the athletic department.

Jihad in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .

KantoSooner
11/19/2014, 04:39 PM
Selamat Mesra
Selamat Aleikum

Pride1Mom
11/19/2014, 06:22 PM
Kingsbury is starting to sound like Mac Brown.

SicEmBaylor
11/20/2014, 03:26 AM
Baylor, for example, is so paranoid about the real football schools going that they threatened to sue Texas A&M for leaving the conference. What are they going to do when Texas and OU decide to leave? It's not our fault that they suck and no one is inviting them into their conferences, okay?

This is absolutely false and a lie, but it's indicative of the kind of bull**** nonsense you constantly insist on posting.

Baylor never once threatened to sue Texas A&M for leaving. The SEC, prior to accepting Aggie, asked that Aggie obtain legal waivers from Big XII-member schools in order to shield themselves from any possible legal action resulting in a breach of contract. Baylor never ever said it was going to sue. Baylor refused to waive its legal rights -- there's a big big ****ing difference. But please please continue to spout off this bull**** nonsense along with "ANN RICHARDS GOT BAYLOR INTO THE BIG XII!!!"

Ignorance is a virtue, eha?

badger
11/20/2014, 11:18 AM
ANN RICHARDS GOT BAYLOR INTO THE BIG XII!!!

I'm sure it didn't hurt that Gov. Richards was Baylor and not, say, TCU or Houston or heaven forbid, a rabid aggie full of reveille rabies.

You lie with aggie collie, you get aggie collie fleas :rcmad:

SicEmBaylor
11/20/2014, 12:15 PM
I'm sure it didn't hurt that Gov. Richards was Baylor and not, say, TCU or Houston or heaven forbid, a rabid aggie full of reveille rabies.

You lie with aggie collie, you get aggie collie fleas :rcmad:

She didn't give a **** about Baylor, football, or Baylor football.......in that order.

jkjsooner
11/20/2014, 01:42 PM
And, moving to the SEC would be a step down, academically, for OU as an institution.

I'm not sure that would be true. Using US News rankings:

SEC has #16 (Vandy), #48 (Florida), #62 (Georgia), #68 (A&M), #88 (Alabama), #99 (Missouri), #103 (Auburn), #106 (Tenn), #113 (South Carolina), #129 (LSU), #129 (Kentucky), #135 (Arkansas), #148 (Ole Miss), #156 (Miss St.)

Big 12 has #53 (Texas), #71 (Baylor), #76 (TCU), #106 (ISU), #106 (KU), #106 (OU), #142 (KSU), #145 (OSU), #156 (Tex Tech), #168 (WVU)

Looks to me that at the bottom the two are very comparable but SEC certainly has the advantage at the top.

I know there are some negative stereotypes associated with the south and may play a role but by actual rankings the SEC has a slight edge.

Now, of course if you think OU still has a shot at the PAC or Big10 then the SEC would be a big step down from those two.

KantoSooner
11/20/2014, 02:26 PM
I would contest the US News Rankings on the basis of what I've seen coming out of the SEC schools and the classes I've sat through at Florida and LSU. Anecdotallly, Florida typically ranks quite high amongst 'Party Schools' and then somehow scores well on academics, as well. Last I checked being drunk and stoned (which is what the code word 'party' means) was not a pathway to high scholarly achievement. Finally, quoting one guidance counselor at a private Florida high school regarding one of her charges, "Well, we've got him headed to Alabama as a safety (he was rejected by Florida, Florida State and LSU) school. If you can fog a mirror, you can get into Alabama." She's Jacksonville based, so I would assume reasonably familiar with schools in that area.

jkjsooner
11/20/2014, 02:59 PM
I would contest the US News Rankings on the basis of what I've seen coming out of the SEC schools and the classes I've sat through at Florida and LSU. Anecdotallly, Florida typically ranks quite high amongst 'Party Schools' and then somehow scores well on academics, as well. Last I checked being drunk and stoned (which is what the code word 'party' means) was not a pathway to high scholarly achievement. Finally, quoting one guidance counselor at a private Florida high school regarding one of her charges, "Well, we've got him headed to Alabama as a safety (he was rejected by Florida, Florida State and LSU) school. If you can fog a mirror, you can get into Alabama." She's Jacksonville based, so I would assume reasonably familiar with schools in that area.

That may be true but we're talking about reputation and the US News has a lot of sway in overall reputation. Schools try their hardest to sway the US News rankings.

In any case, what conference you belong to really has almost no impact academically in most conferences. I know the Big 10 has a lot of academic ties to other Big 10 schools but I don't think the Big 12 does that. So it's really all about reputation.

badger
11/20/2014, 03:48 PM
She didn't give a **** about Baylor, football, or Baylor football.......in that order.

Take out the "football" part and she has a lot in common with this board :D

Sans you, of course

Tear Down This Wall
11/20/2014, 04:49 PM
Baylor, lone lawsuit hold out:

http://blog.chron.com/sportsjustice/2011/09/baylor-is-just-looking-out-for-itself-by-attempting-to-block-texas-am-from-leaving/

Baylor is doing anything it can to block Texas A&M from leaving for the Southeastern Conference. It has set up a web site encouraging fans to raise the roof in support of the Big 12, and now it’s the lone holdout threatening legal action against the SEC and the Aggies.

Homos.

Tear Down This Wall
11/20/2014, 04:52 PM
Discussion of Baylor's then-pointless legal threats:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/why-baylors-claims-against-the-sec-have-no-merit-090711

If Baylor isn't a party to the contract, and many judges would probably say it isn't, then there's no foundation for Baylor to sue upon interfering with the contract. Especially when, as is this case here, the other member instititutions contracts remain unimpacted.

Without damages you can't have a claim of tortious interference. And I'll be damned if I can come up with actual damages for Baylor.

Dopes.

SicEmBaylor
11/20/2014, 05:02 PM
Baylor, lone lawsuit hold out:

http://blog.chron.com/sportsjustice/2011/09/baylor-is-just-looking-out-for-itself-by-attempting-to-block-texas-am-from-leaving/

Baylor is doing anything it can to block Texas A&M from leaving for the Southeastern Conference. It has set up a web site encouraging fans to raise the roof in support of the Big 12, and now it’s the lone holdout threatening legal action against the SEC and the Aggies.

Homos.

You're posting a blot parroting the same damned false line. Find me an official statement by Baylor whereby we said we would pursuit legal action if Aggie tried to lose. We ALWAYS maintained that our refusal was based upon an unwillingness to waive our legal rights in the future.

badger
11/20/2014, 05:08 PM
Isn't it kind of a moot point at this point, seeing how Aggy already left for the SEC and is as irrelevant as ever, except when it comes to Stoops preseason soundbites.

Why are we discussing Baylor football. Even the College Football Playoff committee isn't discussing Baylor football.

Tear Down This Wall
11/20/2014, 06:29 PM
Just keep praying that Texas and OU don't jump ship. Because if they do, your beloved Baylor and the rest of the leftover schools will be in some conglomerate of athletic rejects that floats between the C-USA and Mountain West.

But, who know...maybe the Mountain West would be willing to take ya'll in.

birddog
11/20/2014, 06:48 PM
La tech, Memphis, smu, n Texas, Texas state, Baylor, univ ark lil rock, arkie state. Who else could they add?

SicEmBaylor
11/20/2014, 07:08 PM
Just keep praying that Texas and OU don't jump ship. Because if they do, your beloved Baylor and the rest of the leftover schools will be in some conglomerate of athletic rejects that floats between the C-USA and Mountain West.

But, who know...maybe the Mountain West would be willing to take ya'll in.

Kind of our grapes for both to leave the conference just because of an inability to beat us...

birddog
11/20/2014, 07:16 PM
La tech, Memphis, smu, n Texas, Texas state, Baylor, univ ark lil rock, arkie state. Who else could they add?

Utep, Colorado st, utsa. Who am I missing?

birddog
11/20/2014, 07:19 PM
Houston, rice. After listing all these teams, I think they're careless enough to get their signals, assuming we play em.

freshchris05
11/21/2014, 06:02 PM
Kind of our grapes for both to leave the conference just because of an inability to beat us...

I remember my first time too

birddog
11/29/2014, 07:15 PM
Ttech sent Baylor a fake playbook, like Greg Brady did. Baylor 45-40 over tech with 8 mins to go.

birddog
11/29/2014, 07:44 PM
Tech got 6 then failed on 2pt conversion. 48-46. Game.

SicEmBaylor
11/29/2014, 08:23 PM
I haven't recovered from the near-death experience I had watching that game.

birddog
11/29/2014, 08:35 PM
Well even after that sorry exhibition I still think you're in. If bama loses there's no doubt. Good luck

SicEmBaylor
11/29/2014, 09:07 PM
Well even after that sorry exhibition I still think you're in. If bama loses there's no doubt. Good luck

It's hard to see Ohio State getting in with their QB out for the rest of the season. We have the head-to-head with TCU, and they almost got beat by Kansas and trailed against Kansas for a good portion of the game....at least we never trailed at any point today. I think you're right -- Bama loses and we're definitely in assuming we finish our business.