PDA

View Full Version : Gee, Perine ran for 200 yards and scored three TDs again...

Tear Down This Wall
11/16/2014, 02:01 AM
...so, Heupel and crew will have him splitting time with his backups Ross and Ford again for the next couple of games.

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2014, 02:15 AM
He can't run it every time.

EatLeadCommie
11/16/2014, 02:16 AM
Against another team that can't tackle or cover gaps. He is great against those kinds of teams. Ford and sometimes Ross are better against others. Don't worry. I'm sure Heupel will try to run some orbit sweep play with Perine again, though, thinking that he's a 4.4 type back.

Tear Down This Wall
11/16/2014, 02:18 AM
He can't run it every time.

No. But, he can and should run it 25-30 times.

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2014, 02:42 AM
He ran it 25 times against TCU and averaged 3.5 yds/carry. Not terrible, but I'd say they were able to control him. There are not many teams on our schedule that we can beat by just featuring Perine, but TTech happens to be one of them. I know KU and OSU are bad too, but I think their run D will be tougher.

BigTip
11/16/2014, 10:03 AM
Against another team that can't tackle or cover gaps. He is great against those kinds of teams. Ford and sometimes Ross are better against others.

The media/announcer folk have sure fell in love with him. I am fine with them hyping him like they do, but I agree with Commie here, I don't think he is the "far and away better" guy that the media wants him to be. He sure is fun to watch going through people, but I really think Ford is better at seeing holes.

David Earl
11/16/2014, 10:30 AM
I really think Ford is better at seeing holes.

I agree. Ford seems to have really good vision. He runs with power, especially for a guy that's smaller than Perine. Furthermore, he's illusive. We all know Ross has great breakaway speed. He's hurt [don't know how bad] so he may not be 100% by Saturday.

Considering the different styles our three RB's have, I'm good with the rotation. It lets an 18 year old Perine rest up and get fresh legs. It's asking a lot of the young man to carry much more than he already does. Plus, other defenses have to prepare for a variety of running styles.

SoonerMarkVA
11/16/2014, 11:15 AM
Ford is our best all-around back. But he and Perine make a solid 1-2 punch.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ross get involved in the O like a Josh Norman. Or course, I'd like to see a lot more elements like the offense when Josh Norman was there.

aero
11/16/2014, 11:37 AM
The media/announcer folk have sure fell in love with him. I am fine with them hyping him like they do, but I agree with Commie here, I don't think he is the "far and away better" guy that the media wants him to be. He sure is fun to watch going through people, but I really think Ford is better at seeing holes.

agreed. It's fun watching him against weak teams with no run D. I'm guessing he is only going to get better so he may end up something special. Ross has that take-it-to-the-house-at-any-moment in him.

Soonerjeepman
11/16/2014, 11:55 AM
I agree. Ford seems to have really good vision. He runs with power, especially for a guy that's smaller than Perine. Furthermore, he's illusive. We all know Ross has great breakaway speed. He's hurt [don't know how bad] so he may not be 100% by Saturday.

Considering the different styles our three RB's have, I'm good with the rotation. It lets an 18 year old Perine rest up and get fresh legs. It's asking a lot of the young man to carry much more than he already does. Plus, other defenses have to prepare for a variety of running styles.

he was back in the 2nd half...so I'd think he wasn't too banged up

Therealsouthsider
11/16/2014, 12:07 PM
....Owens did

ss

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2014, 12:36 PM
....Owens did

ss

Ah yes, when men were men. Of course OU finished 6-4 the year he won the Heisman. I'm sure we would all be satisfied to finish in the middle of the if only we could get Perine the hardware.

bluedogok
11/16/2014, 12:44 PM
....Owens did

ss
Ah yes, when men were men. Of course OU finished 6-4 the year he won the Heisman. I'm sure we would all be satisfied to finish in the middle of the if only we could get Perine the hardware.
Yep, it's not 1969 anymore....

Therealsouthsider
11/16/2014, 12:47 PM

....OU was lucky to avoid 6-4 this year

ss

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2014, 12:52 PM
....OU was lucky to avoid 6-4 this year

ss

Exactly. And in the first loss, Perine was stuff on a critical 4th and 1. In the next one, he was stopped 3 times in a row given 1st and goal from the 4.

Breadburner
11/16/2014, 01:25 PM
All boards chock full of stupid....

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2014, 01:50 PM
All boards chock full of stupid....

We could have won 63-0 yesterday and that would still be the case. Folks still mad about the Baylor game and the rest of the season. We could even make someone's meltdown thread with this attitude, but the posts are not very clever.

aurorasooner
11/16/2014, 03:01 PM
...so, Heupel and crew will have him splitting time with his backups Ross and Ford again for the next couple of games. I don't mind having him split time. It means he's fresh when he's back in the game and chomping at the bit to run downhill.
What I do mind is that dumbazz offensive game plan that we deployed in the 1st half, especially with a rookie QB starting his 1st game. Geez us, It was all the talk on all the boards and the press web sites, that we should run the ball against this horrible defense from the get go.
It seems that our offensive staff is just determined to plan the opposite of what everyone says is logical. Sometimes it isn't bad planning because the opposing D Coordinator can't make any major adjustments after halftime, but, this year against any team with a pulse, more times than not, it's just been SFB, and w/o a couple of critical holding calls against their offense, we probably would've been too far down for it to matter. Kudos to the offensive staff (or whichever person above them is responsible) for making the adjustments at halftime.
It seemed to help the D out too, but the DBs still looked like the Keystone Cops out there. Embarrassing. I'm glad we were playing against a rookie QB yesterday, because, imo, any of Leach's previous Tech QBs would have torched us for 6 or 700 yards thru the air.

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2014, 03:11 PM
I didn't mind the game plan as player development is as important as winning given the situation now. I don't really care if Stoopie pads his career stats with easy wins against the conference bottom feeders when we lost the 3 games that mattered most and failed to achieve any preseason goals. The 2nd half adjustments were just deciding that Cody development time was over and it's time to grind out a win. I have no issue with that and wouldn't be b.itching and moaning if we came up short. Whether it was a good formula for player development or not is just a matter of opinion and there is no real way to measure that. I wouldn't have played it the same way, but I'm not going to trash to coaches for the way they chose to do it.

David Earl
11/16/2014, 03:28 PM
The player development point is a fair point. However, get some momentum in the game first. Let the run set up the pass. Don't pass three times in a row, with the third throw being first and goal from the 8. Some of that just doesn't make sense.

No doubt the coaches are working off of information we don't have, things they see in practice, things they know about players. Maybe there are things that would make this all seem more reasonable. But from my easy chair, some of that yesterday is mind boggling.

8timechamps
11/16/2014, 05:07 PM
Ford is our best all-around back. But he and Perine make a solid 1-2 punch.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ross get involved in the O like a Josh Norman. Or course, I'd like to see a lot more elements like the offense when Josh Norman was there.

Agreed. Ford still isn't at 100%, but even so he's better than most backs. Perine is just a workhorse...and he's a great asset. Still, getting fresh legs in the game is huge. If Perine were to carry the ball 25-30 times every game, I think he'd break down at some point.

I will say that the kid (Perine) is a special player. He just refuses to go down easy. That's a great attribute in a running back.

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2014, 05:23 PM
The player development point is a fair point. However, get some momentum in the game first. Let the run set up the pass. Don't pass three times in a row, with the third throw being first and goal from the 8. Some of that just doesn't make sense.

No doubt the coaches are working off of information we don't have, things they see in practice, things they know about players. Maybe there are things that would make this all seem more reasonable. But from my easy chair, some of that yesterday is mind boggling.

I don't disagree, but again, it's all just opinion. The coach may just believe in baptism by fire. The bottom line is that there is nothing the coaches can do at this point to placate the fans, so they should just go with their gut as to what is best for next year. The program needs some excitement in order to hang onto the recruits that are committed and hopefully snag a few more promising players. That and continued player development are the 2 most important things left to do this season. After that, coaching staff evaluations should be in order… (the view from my easy chair, of course).

rock on sooner
11/16/2014, 06:21 PM
Agreed. Ford still isn't at 100%, but even so he's better than most backs. Perine is just a workhorse...and he's a great asset. Still, getting fresh legs in the game is huge. If Perine were to carry the ball 25-30 times every game, I think he'd break down at some point.

I will say that the kid (Perine) is a special player. He just refuses to go down easy. That's a great attribute in a running back.

Perine is a 3D copy of Lacy, currently with the Pack. Only diff is Perine is
slightly bigger, slighty faster and slightly younger. Fearless prediction here,
Perine is HIGH first round pick and will quickly challenge Peterson as a stud!
(That is, if Perine didn't have corporal punishment as a child.)

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2014, 06:44 PM
Perine is a 3D copy of Lacy, currently with the Pack. Only diff is Perine is
slightly bigger, slighty faster and slightly younger. Fearless prediction here,
Perine is HIGH first round pick and will quickly challenge Peterson as a stud!
(That is, if Perine didn't have corporal punishment as a child.)

I'd take the other side of that line. I think he's an excellent back, but Peterson is
an all time great that will be mentioned with Brown, Payton, Sanders types. It's
rare for any RB to be a high 1st round pick these days, but of course the pendulum
could swing back that way. I think Perine will have an excellent OU career and NFL
career assuming he stays healthy, but the odds are against him becoming an all time great.

rock on sooner
11/16/2014, 07:00 PM
I'd take the other side of that line. I think he's an excellent back, but Peterson is
an all time great that will be mentioned with Brown, Payton, Sanders types. It's
rare for any RB to be a high 1st round pick these days, but of course the pendulum
could swing back that way. I think Perine will have an excellent OU career and NFL
career assuming he stays healthy, but the odds are against him becoming an all time great.

Welp, I aint no expert atall...but here's my argument...the balance that Perine
shows when he gets hit...a quick point on the turf or adjust the ball to the other
side shows me that he is "different". I can remember early on AD having that impact
and a different reaction. Now, AD has acceleration that I haven't seen from Perine
but Perine can tuck it and run it...IN TRAFFIC! Oh my, then when you watch what
he does in the end zone! This young man is special indeed, and, it appears to me,
that he doesn't crave the light that Ad did when he was here. Put that stuff with
243#....well, if Huepel doesn't write running stuff for him, it is a shame!

But, WTHDIK?

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2014, 07:10 PM
I'm just a boring statistician. I'm not questioning Perine's potential - I'm not an expert.
I just know that football and the NFL in particular go through RB's like potato chips.
There have been many very bright flashes that only last a couple of years, but long
term greatness is very rare. Usually it's due to injury/wear and tear.

birddog
11/16/2014, 07:17 PM
Perine is a freakish rugby type player that didn't carry his team in high school. The coaches are now realizing that he is unique in his size and strength. Personally, I hoped he would shine from the moment I saw his recruiting pics. I haven't seen an 18 year old kid with that kind of build before. But he's got short legs and he can't stride it out like Ross or AD. But nobody can stop the kid one on on. Those short, tree trunk legs will cause headaches, possibly concussions to the first defender trying to slow him down below the waist.

rock on sooner
11/16/2014, 07:29 PM
Perine is a freakish rugby type player that didn't carry his team in high school. The coaches are now realizing that he is unique in his size and strength. Personally, I hoped he would shine from the moment I saw his recruiting pics. I haven't seen an 18 year old kid with that kind of build before. But he's got short legs and he can't stride it out like Ross or AD. But nobody can stop the kid one on on. Those short, tree trunk legs will cause headaches, possibly concussions to the first defender trying to slow him down below the waist.

Interesting observation....I'm so impressed with how he bounces off big
time hits. His speed is deceptive...I certainly am not putting him in AD's
arena...yet...but, he IS special! Mark this down, with good play calling,
this kid can win the rushing title in the Big XII, while we win the dayum
conference...20-25 times a game....jmo...

8timechamps
11/16/2014, 07:30 PM

The only thing I disagree with you on is that the coaches are "now realizing" his ability, etc. I think they've known from the moment he stepped on campus what he could do. The only real issue with Perine, coming into the season, was how well he could play after his high school knee injury was behind him. I think he's answered that question. He's clearly got the maturity to play at a high level, and if there was one guy we were going to get, that Bama wanted, he's the guy.