PDA

View Full Version : Cody Thomas

Snrinhouston
11/15/2014, 06:38 PM
Does he run the read option better than Knight or have these been predetermined keepers...or is the tech run defense really that atrocious?

SoonerForLife92
11/15/2014, 07:26 PM
I think it is more of the tech defense.. However it seems to me that Cody runs play action better than Knight. Knight just motions the ball in the general vicinity of the RB more than half the time. Also I couldn't tell if Thomas could read running lanes better than Knight or if it was just good blocking against bad defense

Loved to see the I used so much. Cannot understand why we haven't all season..

SanDiegoSoonerGal
11/15/2014, 07:28 PM
As far as I'm concerned Cody did a great job of stepping up. All kudos to him. He gets no complaints from me for a job well done under pressure. He didn't fold after the INTs thank goodness but kept up with the effort.

aero
11/15/2014, 07:30 PM
Bad defense. Sure glad we didn't shat the bed and lose but another win over a not good team. It's kind of like watching a practice scrimmage. It's good for reps and you like some of the things you see but you really don't know if they'll work against solid teams. Oh well, yay team.

TrophyCollector
11/15/2014, 07:31 PM
He did an outstanding job once the coaches called plays he could be successful with.

aero
11/15/2014, 07:32 PM
Oh, and I thought Cody did decent and once he got settled a bit I thought he looked almost sharp.. Play action looked better than TK.

BoulderSooner79
11/15/2014, 07:32 PM
As far as I'm concerned Cody did a great job of stepping up. All kudos to him. He gets no complaints from me for a job well done under pressure. He didn't fold after the INTs thank goodness but kept up with the effort.

Totally agree. He was shaky in the 1st quarter as would be expected, but settled down after that. If we hadn't killed ourselves with holding penalties on run plays on 2 first qtr. drives, he probably settles down sooner. I don't anticipate any QB controversy, but I'm glad he's on our team.

okiewaker
11/15/2014, 07:33 PM
He did a good job. Not gonna knock him but let's be real,,,TT D is hooooorendous.

EatLeadCommie
11/15/2014, 07:39 PM
The tech D is horrible, but it did look to me like he sells the fake extremely well.

BoulderSooner79
11/15/2014, 07:40 PM
He did a good job. Not gonna knock him but let's be real,,,TT D is hooooorendous.

It is - I'm just commenting on his poise and how he handled himself. If TK isn't back next week, I fully expect Thomas to play better and he will need to because KU is rapidly improving.

Mookie91
11/15/2014, 08:06 PM
Saw the 1st quarter and then his final stat line so I'll trust you guys but from those 2 pieces of information he looked like a steaming pile of crap

Snrinhouston
11/15/2014, 08:11 PM
The tech D is horrible, but it did look to me like he sells the fake extremely well.

Yes. The fake appears better.

SoonerMarkVA
11/15/2014, 09:27 PM
Very pleased with Thomas in the run game. Equally displeased with the fact that we can't seem to recruit anyone at QB with a D1 arm.

8timechamps
11/15/2014, 09:33 PM
Thomas did an excellent job with the option game. He seemed very comfortable, and made some really good decisions in the second half. I also thought his poise was great (much better than I expected from him since this was his first real game). He's not as fast as TK, but appears just as capable at running the option game.

TK isn't the consistent passer we wish he was, but he is a better passer than Thomas (at this point). Thomas will develop that part of his game as time goes on, and he can make every throw that needs to be made. Right now though, TK is the best option at QB.

It will make next spring interesting though.

kenth68
11/15/2014, 11:42 PM
Man, he sold those fakes. I have to give him a pass on the ints. His first start, as a freshman. Freshman? Or redshirt? It's late, but either way, he did pretty well once the coaches coached to his abilities instead of their own wishful thinking or vicarious fantasies (looking at you Heupel).

BoulderSooner79
11/15/2014, 11:55 PM
Man, he sold those fakes. I have to give him a pass on the ints. His first start, as a freshman. Freshman? Or redshirt? It's late, but either way, he did pretty well once the coaches coached to his abilities instead of their own wishful thinking or vicarious fantasies (looking at you Heupel).

RS freshman. And I didn't think the play calling was that bad. I hated the call on the first INT. He got us to the redzone with his arm and we should have rewarded him with points. A TD or FG didn't matter since it was early and we should have just run from there and taken the FG if we didn't score. The INT before half was kinda silly but didn't cost anything. I think Josh just wanted to get him experience in that situation knowing the clock would expire. But the only throw that made sense was a go down the sideline where there would be no chance of a return. The second INT was just a bad throw on Thomas on a reasonable call.

I like that Josh didn't baby him. I was hoping the team would rally around Thomas, but I didn't see it. They looked really flat in the first half and the 2 holding penalties on early drives killed us getting off to a good start. Maybe I'm being too critical and the holding calls happened because they were trying too hard to make the running game work. As it turned out, the QB mistakes didn't hurt us nearly as bad as the mistakes by the safeties. Once the defense settled down and got a few stops and the offense was able to tire the TTech defense with 30-35 snaps, it really was no contest.

TrophyCollector
11/16/2014, 12:12 AM
He got us to the redzone with his arm and we should have rewarded him with points. A TD or FG didn't matter since it was early and we should have just run from there and taken the FG if we didn't score.

Call plays to reward the QB and touchdowns don't matter early in the game. WTF kind of strategy is that???

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2014, 12:58 AM
Call plays to reward the QB and touchdowns don't matter early in the game. WTF kind of strategy is that???

I mean I didn't like putting it on Cody's shoulders to make a play in the redzone at that point in the game. He had just completed back to back passes and Josh got greedy. Tech responded with pressure and Cody panicked and threw it up for grabs. I didn't mean play for a FG as it was 1st down in the redzone - I just thought it was better to give it to Perine/Ford at that point and power it in. But even if Tech happened to get a stop, Cody would get a confidence boost from getting the team in scoring position with a FG. It wouldn't hurt for Hunnicutt to get a FG chance either, although all of his XPs looked very strong.

Sooner91ATL
11/16/2014, 01:57 AM
The tech D cannot stop any aspect of the run game. they rank last in the nation, or pretty close. so against a team with decent run defense, we will need to rely on CTs arm. Which does not inspire confidence at this point.

I have to say, the talent level and player development on this team is so far below expectations that it is difficult to comprehend. How in the world can we have backup players who are so far behind the already substandard play of the starter? It is not the kids' fault, not really. They are playing hard and trying, or so it appears. Their fire is absent but how could you have fire in these schemes when the coaches are screaming at you on the sidelines on national TV? Not addressing this to Cody specifically. His start was inauspicious for sure, but he gets a pass I suppose because we have no choice but to try to nurture him. But I think we need to focus hard on getting the prototypical OU talent at QB. it's not there now.

aero
11/16/2014, 02:33 AM
I actually thought he looked decent after he got his wanker wet. The play action TD to Neal looked good and was a solid pass. It was good to see the boot too. I'd like to see more of him in the last 2 games. Of course KU isn't looking like a gimme.

cherokeebrewer
11/16/2014, 04:18 PM
Not sure Cody is ready for prime time, but I like his grit and toughness...

BoulderSooner79
11/17/2014, 12:22 PM
There is a thread on LT claiming that TK has already been ruled out for the Kansas game. Maybe that experience in the 1st half on Saturday that everyone is carping about will pay off. KU has been much more fundamentally sound since the interim guy took over. I hope our home crowd gets into it and helps OUr guys out.

I hope this is just being cautious with TK and not some omen of some permanent damage.

soonergirlNeugene
11/17/2014, 01:19 PM
I can't really blame them. How soon is too soon to play a kid who was temporarily rendered a quadriplegic? For TK's sake, I hope they are taking every precaution.

yankee
11/17/2014, 01:29 PM
I can't really blame them. How soon is too soon to play a kid who was temporarily rendered a quadriplegic? For TK's sake, I hope they are taking every precaution.

Definitely agree...I think the main questions revolve around the fact that TK wasn't ruled out until Thursday last week and he was already ruled out for the Kansas game.

Soonerjeepman
11/17/2014, 02:16 PM

was unbelievable...both he and Pernine did a great job. Course, like others have said TT d was horrible...against the run, like our pass d was horrible.

Sooner91ATL
11/17/2014, 02:26 PM
Even if Thomas finishes out the season, we still won't know enough in 4 games to predict his full potential. To win in the B12 we need a QB who completes 65% of his passes and does not throw INTs regularly. It is way too early to tell since he has played in mop up duty and with one week of first team reps to this point, but the passing doesn't look great.

Not wishing ANY sort of bad news on the young man, but this injury to TK is possibly career-ending. One more hit on the neck and he could be paralyzed. Would not be surprised if he calls it quits. Even if no further injury is done, the guy is going to feel like total shat when he hits 45 and can't sleep all night due to chronic neck pain.

Breadburner
11/17/2014, 02:33 PM
Kid did a great job.....Better teams have played worse Tech teams and lost......I think his up side is through the roof....

stoops the eternal pimp
11/17/2014, 03:02 PM
Reminds me a little of pre-destroyed knees Jason White.

BoulderSooner79
11/17/2014, 03:06 PM
Reminds me a little of pre-destroyed knees Jason White.

So we should arrange to take out his knees to clear the way for a Heisman?

Sorry, too soon?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/17/2014, 03:42 PM
So we should arrange to take out his knees to clear the way for a Heisman?

Sorry, too soon?

You are meanie..a meanie poop head.

BoulderSooner79
11/17/2014, 03:43 PM
You are meanie..a meanie poop head.

I deserved that.

Breadburner
11/17/2014, 03:49 PM
Reminds of Bomar.....Minus the extra curricular bull****....

Pride1Mom
11/17/2014, 05:52 PM
I thought Cody Thomas' poise was really good. Hard to play on the road for your first start. Even if it is a against a terrible team. Since he is 6'4", he can see better than Knight being 6'1". Why the Offensive Coordinators are trying to put a square peg in a round hole, I don't understand. It seems like they refuse to use a player's strength. But it took awhile, but they finally figured it out. Of course, you can play a lot of pass plays and wear out the defense chasing the receivers, and then it really opens up the run game. Maybe not so stupid after all......

8timechamps
11/17/2014, 06:45 PM
Stoops said in today's press conference that Knight will not play against KU.

Cody will get his second start. I'd be surprised if we don't see TK back by the OSU game since we'll have a bye week prior.

olevetonahill
11/17/2014, 06:54 PM
Stoops said in today's press conference that Knight will not play against KU.

Cody will get his second start. I'd be surprised if we don't see TK back by the OSU game since we'll have a bye week prior.
Yup
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/oklahoma-qb-knight-vs-kansas-191527135--ncaaf.html

BoulderSooner79
11/17/2014, 07:04 PM
It will be interesting to see if there is game to game improvement with Cody. KU is near the bottom of the conference in most stats, but that might be a bit misleading. They are coming off their 2 best games and seem to be generally improving since Weis was fired after the horn game. They give up 11 less points on defense than TT and 80 yards less rushing. I think we'll need a little bit more from Cody this week.

swardboy
11/17/2014, 08:31 PM
I'm excited to see Cody's improvement from game 1 to game 2. I thought it showed quarter by quarter last week.

Prayers to Trevor though.

OUinFLA
11/17/2014, 08:34 PM
yet another bye week?
how do we get 3 bye weeks?

it's better than going to college................oh, wait......

Snrinhouston
11/17/2014, 09:20 PM
Even if Thomas finishes out the season, we still won't know enough in 4 games to predict his full potential. To win in the B12 we need a QB who completes 65% of his passes and does not throw INTs regularly. It is way too early to tell since he has played in mop up duty and with one week of first team reps to this point, but the passing doesn't look great.

Not wishing ANY sort of bad news on the young man, but this injury to TK is possibly career-ending. One more hit on the neck and he could be paralyzed. Would not be surprised if he calls it quits. Even if no further injury is done, the guy is going to feel like total shat when he hits 45 and can't sleep all night due to chronic neck pain.

Even worse that it happened on a play that should NEVER have been run. Should have punted. Game was over.

8timechamps
11/17/2014, 10:37 PM
yet another bye week?
how do we get 3 bye weeks?

it's better than going to college................oh, wait......

I think the fact that the conference doesn't have a CCG had a lot to do with the bye weeks. Now, the OU/OSU game will be played the same day as the other conference championship games. I think it's set up like that for every team in the conference.

BoulderSooner79
11/17/2014, 10:50 PM
I think the fact that the conference doesn't have a CCG had a lot to do with the bye weeks. Now, the OU/OSU game will be played the same day as the other conference championship games. I think it's set up like that for every team in the conference.

Yeah, it's supposed to keep the big12 in the news while others have their CCG. OUr game won't be any help this time. Baylor may be trying to make a case for the CFP against KSU.

SoonerMarkVA
11/18/2014, 08:52 AM
Thomas gets to go a 2nd week. Be interesting to see if his passing takes a big step forward now with a bit more comfort.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/11/17/injured-sooners-qb-trevor-knight-out-against-kansas/

Edit: heh. And here I thought I'd already read the whole thread! Sorry for the "Germans Bomb Pearl Harbor" news.

Eielson
11/19/2014, 04:54 PM
I thought Cody looked great...except for the pass plays.