PDA

View Full Version : Our linebackers suck...

ObiKaTony
11/15/2014, 04:35 PM
That is all...

SoonerMarkVA
11/15/2014, 09:18 PM
That's what stuck out to you, watching that dumpster fire?

I think Thomas and Thomas wiping each other out for an easy touchdown really epitomized our secondary.

Mookie91
11/15/2014, 09:29 PM
I don't think they suck but a tad overrated and we have been spoiled with Calmus, Marshall, Lehman, Lewis, Lofton, etc.

8timechamps
11/15/2014, 09:43 PM
They don't suck. The defensive scheme they are asked to play sucks.

SoonerMarkVA
11/15/2014, 09:51 PM

That much seems clear. In fact, it sucks so bad I don't think we can say anything about the skill level of the players.

ObiKaTony
11/15/2014, 10:33 PM

They do suck- case in point we had to offer a walk on a scholly They aren't anywhere near a play. We're exposed over the middle constantly. Watch the Texas game and it doesn't take a genius to figure out no one could tackle. Frank Shannon is out. Of course they suck...we haven't a good linebacker in quite sometime. This makes our already exposed secondary all the more exposed.

Yes 8time, they do suck...

Mookie91
11/15/2014, 10:33 PM
Really good linebackers make plays that wow regardless of scheme. University at Buffalo isn't linebacker U but Kahlil Mack shined.

ObiKaTony
11/15/2014, 10:34 PM

Does Josh's offensive play calling suck?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/15/2014, 10:39 PM
They do suck- case in point we had to offer a walk on a scholly They aren't anywhere near a play. We're exposed over the middle constantly. Watch the Texas game and it doesn't take a genius to figure out no one could tackle. Frank Shannon is out. Of course they suck...we haven't a good linebacker in quite sometime. This makes our already exposed secondary all the more exposed.

Yes 8time, they do suck...

Our linebackers are average. No more, No less. I think if Evans ever gets it into his mind to play hard more than a 1/4 of the downs, he'd be really good. These guys are better a step up over what BV was bringing in his last few years, its just that Mike doesn't scheme to protect them.

ObiKaTony
11/15/2014, 10:42 PM
Mike Stoops has said in the past linebacker position is the key position to his defense (calmus, marshal, Lehman ring a bell?) we don't have any talent there. Who the hell is recruiting this position?

ObiKaTony
11/15/2014, 10:45 PM
Our linebackers are average. No more, No less. I think if Evans ever gets it into his mind to play hard more than a 1/4 of the downs, he'd be really good. These guys are better a step up over what BV was bringing in his last few years, its just that Mike doesn't scheme to protect them.

I've seen really ugly girls be called 'average' because we all want to be humane about it. Fortunately this is just football not an actual person's being. They do suck relative to OUs talent in the past...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/15/2014, 10:54 PM
Mike Stoops has said in the past linebacker position is the key position to his defense (calmus, marshal, Lehman ring a bell?) we don't have any talent there. Who the hell is recruiting this position?

The problem is that linebackers have to be found. They just aren't going to magically show up on a recruiting list. A lot of the guys that last in the pros came from small colleges and you have to find someone who can sniff those guys out. And yes, you can include guys like lehman and calmus in that list since they are guys that we probably wouldn't recruit now. As I said above, Evans could be a great linebacker if he had a motor, but he has way too much Travis Lewis in him and just jogs on most plays.

Kish (who recruits them) recruits California which is a hot bed of low ranked linebackers that make all pro. Because most of the kids he's brought in are young, I have no idea how they'll pan out, but that he is going after "eval" picks tells me that he understands how the game is played there. He sent 3 low ranked guys from Cali to the pros at Arizona.

ObiKaTony
11/15/2014, 10:59 PM
We just don't have any speed at that position right now. You said Evans 'jogs most of the plays'. Really?! That's what we have to offer on the field? I don't know, it's just tough watching and ou game and watching this linebacker play...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/15/2014, 11:07 PM
We just don't have any speed at that position right now. You said Evans 'jogs most of the plays'. Really?! That's what we have to offer on the field? I don't know, it's just tough watching and ou game and watching this linebacker play...

I haven't really been happy with our linebacker play since 2007. It seems we are able to field one good safety that kind of makes up for 2 bad linebackers and 1 bad other safety.

ObiKaTony
11/15/2014, 11:11 PM
I haven't really been happy with our linebacker play since 2007. It seems we are able to field one good safety that kind of makes up for 2 bad linebackers and 1 bad other safety.

Couldn't agree more. I do think that some complacency has set in and typically the first sign in the recruiting trail. It needs to change, we haven't sniffed a Butkus winner in quite sometime...

TrophyCollector
11/15/2014, 11:38 PM
It seems we are able to field one good safety...

What is his name? Is he hurt?

BigTip
11/15/2014, 11:54 PM
This is what is so wrong with the three man rush. It assumes we have some backs that can cover. We can't.
We need to change something.

SoonerMarkVA
11/16/2014, 11:07 AM
This is what is so wrong with the three man rush. It assumes we have some backs that can cover. We can't.

Yes. Our only effective pass defense is to swarm the QB before he can let even a wounded duck fly anywhere in the vicinity of the receiver with no one within 10 yards of him.

aero
11/16/2014, 11:39 AM
We have linebackers?

Sooner8th
11/16/2014, 11:39 AM

ding ding ding ding, we have a winner..................

Still can't defend a simple 7 yard hitch.

BigTip
11/16/2014, 11:41 AM
We have linebackers?

lol

aero
11/16/2014, 11:58 AM
Exactly. However, I think it's reverse. The secondary is put under a lot of pressure with the 3 man rush. It's basically prevent defense.