PDA

View Full Version : Should You Let Your Kid Play Football?

FaninAma
11/14/2014, 11:13 AM
This is a pretty balanced article on the subject. It is becoming an increasingly difficult question for parents. I personally would if my son really wanted to play although I would probably step in and stop him if he suffered a maximum of 2 concussions and if the first concussion were a grade 2 or higher that would be the limit.
http://health.usnews.com/health-news/health-wellness/articles/2014/11/07/should-you-let-your-kid-play-football

Moderators, please move this to one of the non-sports forums if you feel it is not appropriate for the football board.

KantoSooner
11/14/2014, 11:40 AM
It's a judgment thing. I suffered multiple separations wrestling until finally got a minor fracture of a neck vertebra in college. That was the end for me. On the plus side, I could drink beer during the winter thereafter. Beer 1, Wrestling 0.

rock on sooner
11/14/2014, 11:47 AM
When I played, MANY years ago, it was "rub some dirt on it and get back in there!"
Well, almost.....now, if my kid wanted to, I'd get really well informed about the
potential for injury and then spend some time making the coaches/school admin
squirm with pointed interviews and then look hard at the previous couple of seasons
before I'd let him play. LaBron James, I think, has it right...about not letting 9, 10,
11 year olds play and, then revisit in early high school.....

Sooner91ATL
11/14/2014, 12:03 PM
I was an all-state athlete in FB and wrestling and and had a brief walk-on career at OU in the wrestling room. I can say that my body now, as a relatively young guy in my mid-40s, is hurting from those days. I wouldn't wish this on my son. I think I would much prefer if he takes up golf and joins the debate team, to be honest. Learn a couple of languages. Those skills will take him very far in life, much farther than FB ever would.

KantoSooner
11/14/2014, 12:30 PM
Well, now, let's be fair. Wrestling shared a gym with the gymnastics team in my high school. And getting to know the gymnastics team was right up there on my priority list in those days. And, in retrospect, rightly so.
You could crack walnuts....but I digress.

badger
11/14/2014, 01:23 PM
Are they going to be playing at OU, or are they risking their health for the Longhorns or Pokes? :stunned: :mack:

;) j/k only have a daughter so probably won't be an issue

kbsooner21
11/14/2014, 01:27 PM
If they wanted to, absolutely.

FaninAma
11/14/2014, 02:13 PM
Thanks for your individual perspectives. Kanto, I especially liked your silver lining philosophical outlook.

The reason I started this thread is because I am seeing more and more about this subject in the pediatric medical journals/periodicals. Ususally when that happens it precedes a push in popular culture to get something changed or to discourage an activity that is popular in our culture.

I have found a new appreciation for baseball and the 13 year old seems to like it and have a fair ampount of talent in playing the game. But as the old show tune goes.....you gotta be a football hero....

BoulderSooner79
11/14/2014, 02:37 PM
I went out for FB in HS for 1 year. Didn't take me too long to figure out I was waaaay too small and nature was going to keep it that way. I hyperextended my knee in practice and it bothered me for decades until I had to have major reconstruction at the ripe age of 49. Now at least it doesn't hurt anymore, but the biomechanics are all fouled up and I suspect the odds are good for knee replacement down the road. In retrospect, I wish I had not been on the team that year, but there was nothing going to stop me at that time and my parents didn't control me at that level. At least it was just a knee and didn't affect my head (although some of you may debate that point).

I was blessed with daughters, so the FB question didn't come up (their teenage years did almost kill me for other reasons). Had I had a son who wanted to play, I probably would have tried to discourage him, but wouldn't lay down the law if I even could do that.

Soonerjeepman
11/14/2014, 03:42 PM
Funny, my son played all the sports as a kid..like most. Played tackle football in 4th grade and 5th. 4th was the QB...had a decent throw but at that age it's run, run, run. Funny thing is he didn't mind getting tackled (course it was more of a grab and push then) but in 5th he moved to cornerback/de and hated tackling. wussie....lol.

He picked baseball around 7th grade and now is a FR pitcher at KCKCC, pretty decent team in the Jayhawk league. He is working hard and hoping to go high D2 or D1 after his so year.

Now, I will add as a pitcher, there is risk, but obviously not like football. A teammate took a line-drive off his forehead in fall ball...didn't knock him out but dropped him like a dead weight.

KantoSooner
11/14/2014, 03:45 PM
Thanks for your individual perspectives. Kanto, I especially liked your silver lining philosophical outlook.

I'm 5'11" and a bit over 200 now. I was wrestling at 5'11" and 122~129 (I bounced around and before someone comments, I wrestled overseas, no idea if the weight categories are the same). The dieting pain was very real. The joy of beer, pizza, pineapples, toast, eggs, etc. was intense.
And that raises that issue: in sports like wrestling, the pressure to get to abnormally low body weights was very strong. I hope that is a thing of the past.

BoulderSooner79
11/14/2014, 03:55 PM
And that raises that issue: in sports like wrestling, the pressure to get to abnormally low body weights was very strong. I hope that is a thing of the past.

That pressure has moved over to super models where it belongs. I mean draping clothes onto a 6' chick who weighs 100 lbs is the only way to show how clothes will really look on the average women.

I'm sure wrestling will always have that pressure for low body fat as it is directly related to results. My hobby is bicycling now where the same pressure exists in the racing categories. A few pounds of body weight can result in a minute or more time difference on long mountain climbs.

EDIT: I'll add that same pressure in football is another reason to ponder if your kid wants to play. The pressure to bulk up is huge and has led to many kids using steroids. The fact that OL kids are trying to reach 300 lbs in HS is downright scary.

FaninAma
11/14/2014, 04:25 PM
Funny, my son played all the sports as a kid..like most. Played tackle football in 4th grade and 5th. 4th was the QB...had a decent throw but at that age it's run, run, run. Funny thing is he didn't mind getting tackled (course it was more of a grab and push then) but in 5th he moved to cornerback/de and hated tackling. wussie....lol.

He picked baseball around 7th grade and now is a FR pitcher at KCKCC, pretty decent team in the Jayhawk league. He is working hard and hoping to go high D2 or D1 after his so year.

Now, I will add as a pitcher, there is risk, but obviously not like football. A teammate took a line-drive off his forehead in fall ball...didn't knock him out but dropped him like a dead weight.
I have enjoyed your updates on your son's baseball career. you should be proud of his hard work and dedication.

The decision process is easier for girls. One sport that teaches the participant the importance of perseverance is cross country. Both my daughters got up at 5:30 every morning to go run before class for 4 years. Understanding thy could stay the course in that demanding sport has served them well.

Here is some information for you parents who have kids in sports where concussions and TBI may occur:
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/126/3/597.full

The knowledge base of coaches is improving at the high school level but there are still gaps at the lower levels of competition.

KantoSooner
11/14/2014, 05:08 PM
I'm sure wrestling will always have that pressure for low body fat as it is directly related to results. .

It helped. My senior year, I wrestled mostly children. Little bitty guys. One kid took one look at me and burst into tears. Might have been the veins on my stomach. Or the shaved head with throbbing pulse in both temples. Nah, probably the Charles Manson stare.

BoulderSooner79
11/14/2014, 05:42 PM
It helped. My senior year, I wrestled mostly children. Little bitty guys. One kid took one look at me and burst into tears. Might have been the veins on my stomach. Or the shaved head with throbbing pulse in both temples. Nah, probably the Charles Manson stare.

Did you use a sharpie to add the little 'x' between your eyes?

I was 5' and 89lbs when I wrestled in 8th grade and considered a stocky build. I had a heck of a time making that weight and the guys at the next weight up had a 6" reach on me, so I had no prayer if I didn't make weight. Having no sense or knowledge at that age, I starved myself and worked out in a plastic bag to make weight. No telling how many wrestlers are dehydrated when they take the mat and that can't be a good thing.

KantoSooner
11/14/2014, 05:45 PM
Heh, yes, the plastic bag. And then go sit in a sauna and chew grapefruit peel so you can spit off some more weight. Ah, yes, good times.

SicEmBaylor
11/14/2014, 06:37 PM
I was a competitive swimmer. I'm not a big believer in team sports; although, team activities aren't a problem. I'd rather they compete in an individual sport.

8timechamps
11/14/2014, 07:50 PM
Both of my boys played (fairly recently) and I coached their respective teams. As a coach, I was shocked by two things at the youth level (about 2nd grade - 8th grade):

1. Parents that have no clue. There's always been an issue in youth sports with the helicopter parent(s), but there is an equal number (if not more) that just don't care. They don't care how their son's helmet fits, they don't care what kind of coaching they receive and they don't care if the coaches are qualified. The way a helmet fits is the first step in limiting injuries. The qualifications of a coach is/should be the number one priority. I was always active through USA Football, and took many classes/attended many conferences that increased my knowledge of concussions/head injuries. It also reinforced the coaching methods that aim to reduce head injuries. I strongly believe it should be mandatory for any/all youth coaches. Sadly, it's not.

2. The other (and much larger) shocking thing I learned is how many coaches have no clue what they're doing. They don't teach/coach proper fit and tackling technique, let alone the fundamentals of the game. In many instances, they try to replicate whatever they've seen on TV. I've seen kids attempt to tackle head first (with the crown of the helmet) far too many times, and I've watched as coaches did nothing (and in some instances encouraged it).

I coached my boys because I didn't want some hack coaching them. There are plenty of good coaches, that teach the game the right way, but I think we are outnumbered by the morons.

My youngest son plays linebacker, and two years ago suffered a concussion (he was bringing pressure off the edge, as was the LB opposite him...they met in at the QB and a split second before impact, the QB lowered his head, and the two LBs collided head-to-head). It was a freak play, but it happened. I kept him out until the doctor cleared him to play, which ended up being the rest of the year. Now, I am very aware of every hit he takes, and his high school coach is too. Should he suffer a second concussion, more severe, his playing days are probably over.

The fact is football is a rough sport. Injuries can and will happen. If anyone is going to let their child play, they need to do homework on who will be coaching their child...then, remain active in their care. Treat head injuries seriously and should one occur, evaluate the condition/doctors orders and determine the future. Like anything in life, there is going to be risk. It's a part of the game that cannot be removed.

8timechamps
11/14/2014, 07:59 PM

The reason I started this thread is because I am seeing more and more about this subject in the pediatric medical journals/periodicals. Ususally when that happens it precedes a push in popular culture to get something changed or to discourage an activity that is popular in our culture.

I have found a new appreciation for baseball and the 13 year old seems to like it and have a fair ampount of talent in playing the game. But as the old show tune goes.....you gotta be a football hero....

Baseball is the other sport we devote time to in my house. Both boys played, and my youngest played travel-ball. The worst injury I've ever seen was during a youth baseball game. I think the boys were about 14 at the time, and some were a little further along in puberty...so, it wasn't uncommon to see a kid pitching heat to a kid that hadn't even had his voice change yet. Anyway, in this instance, the kid at the plate was about 5'2" or so, and the kid pitching was close to 6'. He threw a fastball that was supposed to be inside, and it got away from him. As he was coached, the batter turned away (exposing his backside) and the ball hit him in the lower back. The kid fell to his knees and began to yell. After the paramedics took him to the ER, it was learned that his spleen had been ruptured. He underwent surgery and ended up in the hospital for close to a week.

Up to that point, I had only seen broken bones, and the 'normal' injuries that occur in a baseball season. That was unsettling to me, and completely caught me off guard.

My boys love baseball (far more than I do). But, that injury reminded them (and me) that there is no such thing as a "safe sport". At least not in a team environment.

rock on sooner
11/14/2014, 08:41 PM
Well, my two kids, one each, did individual sport...Tae Kwan Do...my boy
advanced to 2nd Degree, my daughter to 1st degree...both very technically
correct (forms, attack, defense)...my boy dropped out after 2nd because of
his knees, my daughter because of show choir (heh). Both kids, talented,
were very "on" when it came to any thing dealing with the head. They knew
what to do and how to defend...that's why my belief is that this issue lies with
the coaches/school admin/finally parents! It is a full court press from all adults
and should NEVER depend on the kids....we all know that their smarts aren't there
until 25 or so....

OUmillenium
11/15/2014, 10:45 PM
Basketball/Baseball/Golf/Tennis/TKD/Judo, band or whatever but no football is the plan. You know how plans go...

BoulderSooner79
11/15/2014, 11:12 PM
Basketball/Baseball/Golf/Tennis/TKD/Judo, band or whatever but no football is the plan. You know how plans go...

Only if you are of mice or men.

achiro
11/16/2014, 12:02 AM
http://www.unequal.com

SanDiegoSoonerGal
11/16/2014, 12:24 AM
I don't have kids, but if I did, I would not let my boy kid play football. Nor would I let my girl kid play soccer. The two youth sports with the most incidence of concussions. (Not sure about boys playing soccer but probably right up there too.)

I recently read something well-researched about this, and there is substantial evidence to show that the long-term brain injuries suffered by NFL players don't even necessarily result from concussions, rather from the repeated sub-concussive blows to the head.

At the college and pro levels, coaches and trainers are more educated about head injuries and thus, theoretically anyway, more cautious.

At the youth levels, not so much. The programs don't have the $ for the education and so many of the coaches are volunteers just imitating what they see on TV, as 8 time posted above.

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2014, 12:49 AM
I hated watching those youth soccer matches when my daughter played. I saw some cringe worthy collisions of noggins when a ball would pop in the air and 2 players would both go for headers. It raised some pretty good bumps on heads and some mean black eyes. I always wondered how many kids were concussed that way. I was glad she quit soccer pretty early and just played hoops and volleyball.

SicEmBaylor
11/16/2014, 01:56 AM
I really wouldn't want my daughter playing any sports, period. If I had one...

Sooner91ATL
11/16/2014, 02:03 AM

I have two daughters who are young and not yet able to play in organized school sports. One is not athletic and the other is very athletic. I want them to participate recreationally to teach team and coordination, etc. But I agree - I would prefer they focus on academics, languages, and advanced classes rather than spend time in sports. Same for my boy actually. Golf would be a good option, since you can play it your whole life; I get a kick out of the old farts on the course - and I mean like in their 70s - enjoying the game. And beating me. :)

Tear Down This Wall
11/16/2014, 02:09 AM
Our son is eight years old and constantly begs us to let him play tackle football. We don't let him. We've told him he can play in junior high if his grades are high enough and he stays out of trouble at school.

He plays baseball every season (spring/summer...we don't let him go year round). He's good at baseball. He's big kid for eight, already weighing 96 pounds. He hits the ball far and likes to play catcher.

In the fall and winter, he tries other sports. He's done lacrosse, soccer, flag football, and basketball. We hope he sticks with baseball and forgets about football by the time he gets to junior high school. Although, we live in Texas; so, that's not likely.

On the whole, we know kids don't hit puberty until they are 12-14 years old. Whatever happens when he's eight, then, we're not real worried about. We want him to do well in school, and he does. If he's still a good baseball player when everyone hit puberty, I hope he sticks with it. But, you never know.

He also does Taekwondo. We like that because it's something he can do his entire life.

Tear Down This Wall
11/16/2014, 02:15 AM
Our daughter is six. She like soccer. She wants to play softball, and she will in the spring. She also does ballet...like 99% of other six year old girls.

She's too young to gauge yet what she really likes. Although, we do have some really serious parents on her soccer team who complain about the coaching. They're nuts. There's not one girl on her team or any team they play that really knows what is happening or what to do. Nor, should they.

Anyway, we've got a ways to go with her. If she likes some sport, we'll do our best to have her pursue it. If not, no biggie. We like that she is interested in school.

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2014, 02:36 AM

Why not? My daughter had great experiences and learned many life lessons playing team sports.

Soonerjeepman
11/16/2014, 12:06 PM
I have enjoyed your updates on your son's baseball career. you should be proud of his hard work and dedication.

The decision process is easier for girls. One sport that teaches the participant the importance of perseverance is cross country. Both my daughters got up at 5:30 every morning to go run before class for 4 years. Understanding thy could stay the course in that demanding sport has served them well.

Here is some information for you parents who have kids in sports where concussions and TBI may occur:
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/126/3/597.full

The knowledge base of coaches is improving at the high school level but there are still gaps at the lower levels of competition.

thanks Fan, he's had a decent fall...individual workouts now. Wow on your girls..it's more of the mental challenge and beating the "give up" gene. My daughter tried bowling and basketball and golf. Not super athletic but tried.

Therealsouthsider
11/16/2014, 12:39 PM
....yes.

....The more appropriate question is 'should you let your kids play?' Injuries are a part of growing up, at least in sports the kids are supervised and have appropriate uniforms, pads and protection. If I had been wearing a helmet, cup, mouth-piece, shin-guards, cleats, shoulder pads, etc., etc., etc., I could have avoided most childhood injuries and trauma....alas, without any adult supervision or proper instruction, I jumped my bike off of ramps, climbed to the tops of trees jumped off house roofs, played crack the whip, smear-the queer, pick up games of football, baseball, basketball, flips on trampolines that had springs and no safety nets and home-made moto-cross tracks

....so pretty much, if you want your child to avoid injury, don't have any

....gawd, this country is going straight down the crapper

ss

SoonerMachine
11/16/2014, 12:47 PM
....yes.

....The more appropriate question is 'should you let your kids play?' Injuries are a part of growing up, at least in sports the kids are supervised and have appropriate uniforms, pads and protection. If I had been wearing a helmet, cup, mouth-piece, shin-guards, cleats, shoulder pads, etc., etc., etc., I could have avoided most childhood injuries and trauma....alas, without any adult supervision or proper instruction, I jumped my bike off of ramps, climbed to the tops of trees jumped off house roofs, played crack the whip, smear-the queer, pick up games of football, baseball, basketball, flips on trampolines that had springs and no safety nets and home-made moto-cross tracks

....gawd, this country is going straight down the crapper

ss

Agreed...

SicEmBaylor
11/16/2014, 06:00 PM
Why not? My daughter had great experiences and learned many life lessons playing team sports.

Gender role issues. If I had a daughter, I wouldn't outright ban her from sports -- I believe in letting kids pursuit their own interest; however, I definitely wouldn't encourage it. If she was determined to play a sport then I'd push her toward swimming, golf, or tennis.

SoonerorLater
11/16/2014, 06:10 PM
I always tried to let my kids find their own way with just a little nudge here and there. I always had a baseline of requisites (schoolwork, jobs around the house etc.) but didn't try to steer them to my own personal preferences. It's hard to say if I would have stepped in and asked my son not to play football if I would have had the evidence we do today. It would give me pause.

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2014, 06:36 PM
Gender role issues. If I had a daughter, I wouldn't outright ban her from sports -- I believe in letting kids pursuit their own interest; however, I definitely wouldn't encourage it. If she was determined to play a sport then I'd push her toward swimming, golf, or tennis.

My daughter went to a school that required all students to participate in 2 sports a year. So her gender role lessons were the same as every other girl at school. My only regret is that she hasn't stayed active in sports now that she is an adult even though she loved doing it as a kid all the way through HS.

sooner13f
11/17/2014, 09:00 AM
I have coached youth football for over 15 years. There have been a lot of effort placed on safety when coaching. I can say it is night and day from when I played football. All the coaches I coach with take injuries much more serious which is a good thing. Players are more aware of the injuries as are the parents. If a player has a head injury of any kind he is finished for that game. Now trust me this seems to not be a popular decision with the parents. The parents are usually the ones that want the players back on the field. I find myself having this conversation several times a year with a dad or mom.

I have often been asked by parents if football is safe. I always reply the same way. Our coaching staff coaches football correctly and our players learn to tackle and block correctly but the teams we play have dirrerent coaches that sometimes do not.

With all that said football is a full contact sport that WILL place a player in a situation were they will be injured at some point. I fairness I have seen more youth players injured in baskeball. Players jumping for ball and having their feet knocked out from under them and hitting their head on the hardwood. Soccer you see knees and ankles, wrestling neck, shoulder, and backs.Baseball come with its injuries as well when you are hitting and throwing a hard ball.

I only mention these sports becasue my children play these sports and football has caused the least amount of injuries. After coaching for so long I feel blessed to have had at worst a sprained ankle with any of my players.

sooner13f
11/17/2014, 09:11 AM
Our son is eight years old and constantly begs us to let him play tackle football. We don't let him. We've told him he can play in junior high if his grades are high enough and he stays out of trouble at school.

He plays baseball every season (spring/summer...we don't let him go year round). He's good at baseball. He's big kid for eight, already weighing 96 pounds. He hits the ball far and likes to play catcher.

In the fall and winter, he tries other sports. He's done lacrosse, soccer, flag football, and basketball. We hope he sticks with baseball and forgets about football by the time he gets to junior high school. Although, we live in Texas; so, that's not likely.

On the whole, we know kids don't hit puberty until they are 12-14 years old. Whatever happens when he's eight, then, we're not real worried about. We want him to do well in school, and he does. If he's still a good baseball player when everyone hit puberty, I hope he sticks with it. But, you never know.

He also does Taekwondo. We like that because it's something he can do his entire life.

I understand your thought process and have total respect for you as a parent making making this decision but here is something to think about. When teaching tackle football to players 8-10 it is easier to teach the fundalmentals without injury. Youth players do not hit as hard and are far less likely to cause injury with the contact. The old school way of starting in middle school in my opinion is much more likely to lead to an injury for two reasons. One other players know how to tackle and flow harder because of comfort on the field. Two because middle school students are stronger, faster, and sometimes as large as some high school players.

Breadburner
11/17/2014, 09:18 AM

You would have to get laid first.....

FaninAma
11/17/2014, 10:15 AM
TDTW, I think that is a good plan. I think allowing your child to play tackle football at 8 years of age is misguided for the following reasons:

1. The more immature the brain is the more susceptible to injury it is. Therefore, the younger a player is the more likely a concussion suffered by that player will produce long term effects.

2. Musculosletal injuries tend to be more severe because of open growth plates. Simple fractures in adults can be much more serious in a younger player if the growtrh plate is involved(Salter fractures).

3. There is an enormous variance in physical maturity between players especially between the ages of 10 and 15. The so called late bloomers are at a distinct disadvantage and will more likely get a negative first impression from any sport but especially from a high contact sport.

FaninAma
11/17/2014, 10:24 AM

Playing sports is one of the best things you can allow your daughters to do. It builds confidence and self-esteem which leads to lower rates of engaging in teenage sex and decreases the rate of teenage pregnancy. It also promotes academic success. Both of my daughters have benfitted form their junior high and high school athletic experiences even when they played on bad teams. Both will finish OU as 4 year lettermen in varsity rowing . The older daughter was second team all-Big 12 her senior year and has one Big 12 championship ring and One Conferrence USA championship. The younger daughter has 2 Big 12 conference championships and 2 Conference USA championships and is working on her 3rd this year. They are both much more successful and confident because of playing sports.

Tear Down This Wall
11/17/2014, 11:14 AM
TDTW, I think that is a good plan. I think allowing your child to play tackle football at 8 years of age is misguided for the following reasons:

1. The more immature the brain is the more susceptible to injury it is. Therefore, the younger a player is the more likely a concussion suffered by that player will produce long term effects.

2. Musculosletal injuries tend to be more severe because of open growth plates. Simple fractures in adults can be much more serious in a younger player if the growtrh plate is involved(Salter fractures).

3. There is an enormous variance in physical maturity between players especially between the ages of 10 and 15. The so called late bloomers are at a distinct disadvantage and will more likely get a negative first impression from any sport but especially from a high contact sport.

Thanks. I also factor into football that some kids don't play until their junior or senior year of high school and do well. My son is a big kid, built like a brick. If we put him into football we know they'd stick him on the line. We don't want him to take too many hits on the head at such a young age for the very reason you mention, concussions.

FaninAma
11/18/2014, 02:31 PM
Thanks. I also factor into football that some kids don't play until their junior or senior year of high school and do well. My son is a big kid, built like a brick. If we put him into football know, they'd stick him on the line. We don't want him to take too many hits on the head at such a young age for the very reason you mention, concussions.

You are correct in your statements. The average thinks that concussions and TBI only occur during hard tackles. Studies show the most adverse affects of sports related TBI occur from the repetitive injuries even if they are mild. This is more common for OL and the front 7 in defenses who engage in head contact on almost every single play. That is also why soccer has been implicated as a sport in which TBI are common.

Sooner91ATL
11/18/2014, 02:41 PM

So you definitely would want your daughter to go out for the softball team, is what you're saying?

Tear Down This Wall
11/18/2014, 02:45 PM
Ask him what the hell he means by "gender role issues." It has nothing to do with sports; but, ask him anyway...and, could go a long way into explaining why he remains single.

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2014, 03:21 PM
So you definitely would want your daughter to go out for the softball team, is what you're saying?

Softball is such a poor name for the sport. Those gals don't like balls at all, soft or otherwise.

BoulderSooner79
11/18/2014, 05:17 PM
Softball is such a poor name for the sport. Those gals don't like balls at all, soft or otherwise.

An unfair generalization (maybe it's a tongue in cheek statement). But it was certainly true that many referees for my daughter's volleyball games played for the all girl team. The players didn't seem to care.

rock on sooner
11/18/2014, 05:36 PM
Just to put a little perspective on it, stand in the batters box and try
to hit the round object coming at you at 65+mph...those gals can
flat bring it. Remember Jenny Finch, she humiliated some of MLB's
best hitters on TV.....

SanDiegoSoonerGal
11/19/2014, 12:04 AM

ss

So, having kids and wanting to protect them from injury are mutually exclusive concepts?

Tear Down This Wall
11/19/2014, 10:14 AM
So, having kids and wanting to protect them from injury are mutually exclusive concepts?

For some, apparently it is.

It's like the cigarette thing, decades ago doctors would endorse certain brands. We now know it causes cancer, etc. and the companies hid the information from the public and investors.

We are now finding out about the dangers of concussions and ignoring them, telling the players they are fine, or letting the players themselves say they are fine.

As parents, we now have more information regarding concussion injuries and football, so we can make better decisions about our kids' health.

Eielson
11/19/2014, 04:49 PM
It's a little harder if you have to make the decision today, but it's pretty simple for me, as I don't have kids yet, and should have 10+ years to decide (assuming I even have kids). Sequencing the human genome is becoming very inexpensive, and research in that field is moving at an absurdly high pace. Sequence his genome, and see what his risks are. If he has certain mutations (ApoE), don't let him play. Otherwise, let him decide.

Also, I haven't read this thread thoroughly, but it appears some people think it's a good idea to have their kid wait until they're older. Yes, I'd imagine a 3rd grader having a concussion would be a more serious issue than a 25 year old, but it's a lot less likely to happen. Little kids don't hit very hard. I'd be more concerned about my son playing when he's older and he and his opponents hit a lot harder. One year of starting in the NFL is probably worse than playing 3rd grade all the way through high school.

And no, if you've never played football in your life, and go out for the team as a junior or senior, you're not going to do well unless you're playing at a low-level of competition or are a genetic freak. You're most likely going to go out there, get your butt handed to you, and then quit.

OUmillenium
11/20/2014, 02:13 PM
Football was designed as a tackle sport not a bang your head into opponents head sport (which I love to watch but don't want my kid doing at any age).

My boys are both coordinated and energetic so they will get plenty of ouchies without football. But we live in Jenks so that will prob be their favorite sport.

TAFBSooner
11/20/2014, 02:30 PM
Playing sports . . . builds confidence and self-esteem . . . It also promotes academic success.

They are both much more successful and confident because of playing sports.

That is exactly what he means by "gender role issues."