PDA

View Full Version : Florida State Double Standard

FaninAma
11/14/2014, 11:06 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2014-11-13/jameis-winston-florida-state-heisman-code-of-conduct-hearing-delays-rape-allegation-due-process-failure?iadid=Home_DL_2

I am not a fan of the Frank Shannon dedcision but after reading this I think OU has been forced to take a tough stand in order to protect the University's reputation.

SoonerorLater
11/14/2014, 11:28 AM
I don't see any equivalency between Shannon and Winston just by the shear volume of transgressions if nothing else. I hated to see Shannon dismissed, especially by a process that is done in the dark by some supposedly Title IX trained panel of University bureaucrats. It would be nice if we lived in the Pop Warner era but in this day and time if you want to win NCs you are going to have to look the other way on some amount of bad behavior.

FaninAma
11/14/2014, 11:32 AM
I don't see any equivalency between Shannon and Winston just by the shear volume of transgressions if nothing else. I hated to see Shannon dismissed, especially by a process that is done in the dark by some supposedly Title IX trained panel of University bureaucrats. It would be nice if we lived in the Pop Warner era but in this day and time if you want to win NCs you are going to have to look the other way on some amount of bad behavior.

I don't disagree but that is the political climate we live in today. The fact that a universtiy like FSU is forced kicking and screaming to do the right thing makes it hard for other universities to use any semblance of subjective.judement in individual cases.

Personally I think the woman Winston raped will eventually win her civil lawsuit and FSU's reputation will be trashed even more than it has been.

KantoSooner
11/14/2014, 11:35 AM
OU avoided the appearance of putting football ahead of protecting women's rights; but let's not forget a key difference in the two cases: the young woman involved in Shannon's case dropped charges and has stated that she feels he should be allowed to pursue his life. In Winston's case, the lady involved wants his happy azz in an orange jump suit.
Now, whether you're a lawyer or a guy wearing sneakers, sitting on a front porch, that's a difference that means something.

Laws are funny things. You can insist on strict enforcement all you want but, at some point, a law will become moot if enough people simply decide that it's ridiculous and cease to obey it. You can call that 'democracy in action' or 'voting with your feet' or whatever, but the principle is clear. If you lose X% of the population, you can make all the laws you want and they won't be obeyed or enforced.

Now substitute 'rule' for 'law' and we come to the most corrosive thing about Crableg's treatment. Why should the Oklahoma's of the world continue to take the high road when it's apparent that there are no consequences for splashing happily along in the gutter? FSU needs to be made to pay a price for their transparent mockery of Title IX. This is beyond NCAA BS; strip FSU of their research grants. Now. That'll get the bastadges attention. Toot Sweet.

BoulderSooner79
11/14/2014, 11:52 AM
The thing I hate about the Shannon case is that the facts/testimony is sealed. There was nothing ever reported in public that would lead me to believe he did anything wrong. And yet, 3 4 or 5 (we don't know how many) people on the title committee concluded that he did. And no, Boren wasn't one of them. I have no reason to believe these good people are stupid or have something against Shannon or the football program. And the fact the DA did not bring charges doesn't say he did nothing, it says the case was not strong enough for them to pursue. All very murky and frustrating for us fans. But i also understand the sensitive nature of sex related wrong doings and why things are kept secret. Grrr. I just hope Shannon sticks around and has a great senior season.

SoonerorLater
11/14/2014, 04:45 PM
Uh oh. More illicit behavior from the FSU camp.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11875715/pj-williams-florida-state-seminoles-only-gets-two-minor-tickets-being-involved-early-morning-hit-run-accident-according-report

KantoSooner
11/14/2014, 05:04 PM
Oh, what fun. Half their starting Defensive Backfield goes out for a head clearing drive at almost 3 a.m., sans driver's licenses and totals two cars. Then they depart the scene for a half hour only to return (one presumes having made the necessary phone calls and emptied pockets of whatever weed, coke, mollies etc they had had). With the help of the ever helpful FSU PD (how'd they even know about this since it was off campus and not in their jurisdiction), the local mounties decide that, really, it's far too nice a night to waste time with breathalyzers or arrests or anything of that nature, so the boyz are sent home, own recog. And, darn those pesky computers! The tickets never quite show up on the 'official' list and remain unpaid and, quite possibly were headed off to 'forgotten ticket land', presuming those 50 yard line tickets show up at the local PD. Y'know what I'm saying? It's like matter and anti-matter: tickets cancel tickets. It's science.
If it wasn't so disgusting it would be funny. We're expected to believe this. North Korean show trials are models of jurisprudence compared with Florida.

mainline13
11/14/2014, 05:55 PM
Now substitute 'rule' for 'law' and we come to the most corrosive thing about Crableg's treatment. Why should the Oklahoma's of the world continue to take the high road when it's apparent that there are no consequences for splashing happily along in the gutter? FSU needs to be made to pay a price for their transparent mockery of Title IX. This is beyond NCAA BS; strip FSU of their research grants. Now. That'll get the bastadges attention. Toot Sweet.

You do the right thing for one reason: because it's the right thing.

Are there all kinds of ambiguous situations, where the right thing is difficult to know? Yes, so you just do the best you can.

YMMV (in this case it stands for "Your Morals May Vary")

SoonerorLater
11/14/2014, 06:18 PM
Oh, what fun. Half their starting Defensive Backfield goes out for a head clearing drive at almost 3 a.m., sans driver's licenses and totals two cars. Then they depart the scene for a half hour only to return (one presumes having made the necessary phone calls and emptied pockets of whatever weed, coke, mollies etc they had had). With the help of the ever helpful FSU PD (how'd they even know about this since it was off campus and not in their jurisdiction), the local mounties decide that, really, it's far too nice a night to waste time with breathalyzers or arrests or anything of that nature, so the boyz are sent home, own recog. And, darn those pesky computers! The tickets never quite show up on the 'official' list and remain unpaid and, quite possibly were headed off to 'forgotten ticket land', presuming those 50 yard line tickets show up at the local PD. Y'know what I'm saying? It's like matter and anti-matter: tickets cancel tickets. It's science.
If it wasn't so disgusting it would be funny. We're expected to believe this. North Korean show trials are models of jurisprudence compared with Florida.

Let's not jump to conclusions. I'm sure there is a perfectly good explanation for all of this.

VA Sooner
11/14/2014, 09:28 PM

Kanto... you crack me up!

Well done.

vtsooner21
11/15/2014, 08:44 AM
So...Let me understand this; Florida State will limp through this season of Crab Legs and teammates being accused of unlawful acts but able to continue to participate on their team as opposed to those accused of acts that (in a rule and law abiding university) will be served immediately... This really is reminiscent of the USC- Bush debacle when feet were dragged forever. Looks as though Florida State will get through this season before any matters are taken into consideration.
Boomer

SoonerorLater
11/15/2014, 09:17 AM
So...Let me understand this; Florida State will limp through this season of Crab Legs and teammates being accused of unlawful acts but able to continue to participate on their team as opposed to those accused of acts that (in a rule and law abiding university) will be served immediately...

Yes I think that about sums it up.....but I'm sure they'll get around to sorting this all out.....later.

rock on sooner
11/15/2014, 11:11 AM
So...Let me understand this; Florida State will limp through this season of Crab Legs and teammates being accused of unlawful acts but able to continue to participate on their team as opposed to those accused of acts that (in a rule and law abiding university) will be served immediately... This really is reminiscent of the USC- Bush debacle when feet were dragged forever. Looks as though Florida State will get through this season before any matters are taken into consideration.
Boomer

The big difference between Bush/USC and Free Shoes/Winston/et al is that
FSU is in broad daylight now and, if you look in the dictionary for sunlight
footdragging, you'll see a pic of FSU logo. It took a long time to shine a
light on Bush, not so with Winston...the guy leads a Star Trek life....shields
are at 100%, Captain!

vtsooner21
11/15/2014, 12:29 PM
I just want to hear Jimbo squeal, "She can't take much more of this!"

Boomer

vtsooner21
11/15/2014, 12:33 PM
I find it VERY coincidental that during the Bush investigation, the Sooners self-reported Bomar...Now it's Crab Legs and the Sooners again take it upon themselves to have a clean yard by looking into Shannon.....Sheesh!

Boomer

BoulderSooner79
11/15/2014, 01:10 PM
I find it VERY coincidental that during the Bush investigation, the Sooners self-reported Bomar...Now it's Crab Legs and the Sooners again take it upon themselves to have a clean yard by looking into Shannon.....Sheesh!

Boomer

And having a clean yard is a bad thing?

vtsooner21
11/18/2014, 08:32 AM
And having a clean yard is a bad thing?

The title of this thread deals with Florida State's double standard. Was merely expressing the likeness and similarity to the odd double standard that existed during the Bush years at USC, i.e., the NCAA dragging the investigation and now again with Winston. And in both cases, Oklahoma stepped up and cleaned up their own problems.
Boomer

KantoSooner
11/18/2014, 09:36 AM
You do the right thing for one reason: because it's the right thing.

Are there all kinds of ambiguous situations, where the right thing is difficult to know? Yes, so you just do the best you can.

YMMV (in this case it stands for "Your Morals May Vary")

You're absolutely right and I'm happy my U is biased in the direction it is. That said, if violations go unpunished, then slowly the good is pushed out. The worship of big money has driven the NCAA, Florida Board of Regents and Federal regulators to give FSU a pass on this. it will not end well. And it annoys me, as I grow older, that I have seen this play before, we all know how it ends and yet we do nothing to get out ahead of matters. Disappointing.

BoulderSooner79
11/18/2014, 10:40 AM
The title of this thread deals with Florida State's double standard. Was merely expressing the likeness and similarity to the odd double standard that existed during the Bush years at USC, i.e., the NCAA dragging the investigation and now again with Winston. And in both cases, Oklahoma stepped up and cleaned up their own problems.
Boomer

I thought it was USC and now FSU dragging out the investigations, not the NCAA. And in the USC case, they paid an extreme price in penalties that has kept them down for years. We'll see how FSU eventually weathers the storm, although things have changed in the power structure a bit.