PDA

View Full Version : Trevor Knight out against Tech; Cody Thomas to start, Blake Bell is backup

badger
11/13/2014, 12:12 PM
Wow (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/ou-quarterback-trevor-knight-will-not-play-saturday-against-tech/article_a30cb045-4d1d-536c-9a45-8066d89a2bf0.html)

Cody Thomas will be Oklahoma’s starting quarterback in Saturday’s road game at Texas Tech, the school announced on Thursday.

The Oklahoma football Twitter account issued a tweet saying Knight was not medically cleared to play.

Stoops said earlier this week that Bell would be the emergency backup to Thomas if Knight could not play.

rock on sooner
11/13/2014, 12:17 PM
Well, I think I wanna change my vbet....heh...

Breadburner
11/13/2014, 12:19 PM
So Bell will be on the sideline......???

SoonerMarkVA
11/13/2014, 12:30 PM

Boy, I hope not.

BoulderSooner79
11/13/2014, 12:49 PM
This is definitely a circle the wagons situation. If this doesn't motivate every player to step up in order to rally around Thomas, nothing will.

dwarthog
11/13/2014, 01:10 PM
Oh boy, my poor tv may not make another weekend.....

Breadburner
11/13/2014, 01:18 PM
Boy, I hope not.

So you play Bell at TE and hope Thomas and him dont get hurt......??

Sooner91ATL
11/13/2014, 01:40 PM
At least now I can look forward to watching the game and not having to see Trevor struggle again. I feel bad for the kid.

badger
11/13/2014, 01:55 PM

Puts whole new meaning to dual threat QBs doesn't it?

Who knows? Maybe they're practicing a snap-to-the-TE play or 20 :P

BoulderSooner79
11/13/2014, 01:57 PM

No, he'll be either catching or throwing the ball (unless our D is on the field for a quick 3 and out :nevreness:).

badger
11/13/2014, 02:05 PM
Belldozing every down. Rawwwwrrrrrr

SoonerMarkVA
11/13/2014, 02:15 PM

Yup.

Bell should go through the regular rotation at TE unless needed at QB.

BoulderSooner79
11/13/2014, 02:17 PM
Belldozing every down. Rawwwwrrrrrr

There are morans on LT that think that would actually work. Or more precisely, that Thomas can just hand off on every down and win by playing 10 against 11. Sometimes I think that board consists of 13 year olds.

cvsooner
11/13/2014, 02:39 PM
I suspect we'll see a fair amount of running though. Size of our line versus their D, cold weather in Lubbock, inexperience at QB--though he may be a better thrower--and control the clock. I expect us to win pretty big, along the lines of Iowa State.

Or we could completely unravel again.

badger
11/13/2014, 02:45 PM
There are morans on LT that think that would actually work. Or more precisely, that Thomas can just hand off on every down and win by playing 10 against 11. Sometimes I think that board consists of 13 year olds.

If there was one thing that worked against the Baptists, it was actually three things: Alex Ross, Keith Ford and Samaje Perine... I cannot recall the last time we attempted to Belldoze. It's really not necessary with three top backs healthy, is it?

msteudem
11/13/2014, 02:50 PM
I suspect we'll see a fair amount of running though. Size of our line versus their D, cold weather in Lubbock, inexperience at QB--though he may be a better thrower--and control the clock. I expect us to win pretty big, along the lines of Iowa State.

Believe it or not the temp is going to be 66 during the game in Lubbock.

SoonerorLater
11/13/2014, 02:58 PM

Oh. I had a lot of really tactically deficient and inane ideas for our offensive strategy that I was going to throw out there but I guess I'll keep them to myself now.

rock on sooner
11/13/2014, 03:03 PM

Cold weather or not, I'm guessing Thomas throws 12-15 times during
the game, Bell takes 2-3 direct snaps and we just MIGHT have 3 100+
yards RB's....

cvsooner
11/13/2014, 03:45 PM
If there was one thing that worked against the Baptists, it was actually three things: Alex Ross, Keith Ford and Samaje Perine... I cannot recall the last time we attempted to Belldoze. It's really not necessary with three top backs healthy, is it?

Just a couple of games ago, didn't we haul the Belldozer out of mothballs for a short gain and a first down?

EatLeadCommie
11/13/2014, 04:45 PM
So what is Trevor's injury exactly?

8timechamps
11/13/2014, 04:46 PM
I think this is a good thing. It's not good that TK is hurt and can't play, but it is good that our team (specifically the O-line) will have to rally to support Cody. The game plan will (should) be heavy run game. Given Tech's defense, we should be able to run like we did at Iowa State or West Virginia. Cody can make all the throws, and we got a glimpse of his ability against KSU, but it's going to be a big time challenge for him and our coaches.

This game will come down to how our defense plays. Tech's defense is a dumpster fire, but we've seen bad defenses give us games in the past. Still, we should be able to move the ball. We'll need a better plan than we showed last week on defense as Tech goes with a 5 wide set a lot more than Baylor did. Of course Tech doesn't have the talent Baylor had, but we will need a very good performance from our defense.

BoulderSooner79
11/13/2014, 05:16 PM
I fully expect a run heavy game plan as it should be. But we do not have a dominate run centric team ala Auburn or Oregon. Our run game works when it is complimentary to the passing game and the defense must respond to both. If we are efficient, I would expect Thomas to throw around 18-20 times and he will have to make some key plays with his arm. If OUr run game is working well, the play action should provide opportunities for open receivers. If there is bad weather (specifically wind), that should help us. We can survive w/o the passing threat, but TTech cannot if it is taken away from both teams.

cvsooner
11/13/2014, 05:31 PM
Just a couple of games ago, didn't we haul the Belldozer out of mothballs for a short gain and a first down?

Bell has rushed twice this season; once against WVU and once against Kansas State.

8timechamps
11/13/2014, 10:46 PM
I fully expect a run heavy game plan as it should be. But we do not have a dominate run centric team ala Auburn or Oregon. Our run game works when it is complimentary to the passing game and the defense must respond to both. If we are efficient, I would expect Thomas to throw around 18-20 times and he will have to make some key plays with his arm. If OUr run game is working well, the play action should provide opportunities for open receivers. If there is bad weather (specifically wind), that should help us. We can survive w/o the passing threat, but TTech cannot if it is taken away from both teams.

Agreed. I can see Cody putting it up somewhere in that 18-20 time range. That would provide enough to keep Tech from putting 9 in the box. Cody was a solid high school passer, and he seems to be able to throw a good ball...although we've only seen him once with the starting offense.

OUmillenium
11/13/2014, 11:30 PM
Here's one way to get me to watch the game.

BoulderSooner79
11/13/2014, 11:55 PM
wunderground.com is showing 65 degrees with winds 15-20 from the west at game time. Not sure how that will translate on the field, but it sounds like a tough environment for the passing game. Should at least allow our DBs to play tight coverage. BTW, has there been any discussion about our DBs playing tight coverage? Anyone?

rock on sooner
11/14/2014, 07:22 AM
wunderground.com is showing 65 degrees with winds 15-20 from the west at game time. Not sure how that will translate on the field, but it sounds like a tough environment for the passing game. Should at least allow our DBs to play tight coverage. BTW, has there been any discussion about our DBs playing tight coverage? Anyone?

Been a LOT of discussion about their NOT playing tight coverage.....

SanDiegoSoonerGal
11/14/2014, 09:43 AM

http://newsok.com/trevor-knights-injury-diagnosed-as-transient-quadriplegia/article/5366547

Breadburner
11/14/2014, 09:54 AM

Interceptitis...Complicated by picsixplaysia......Season ending....

EatLeadCommie
11/14/2014, 01:54 PM

ok that's funny. Pos rep headed your way.

On a more serious note, "transient quadriplegia" sounds kind of ambiguous.

FlatLander
11/14/2014, 02:38 PM
I fully expect a run heavy game plan as it should be.

But you forget, who the OC is!! I can just picture him tapping the playbook thinking, "Well they are thinking we will run it. So I gonna outsmart 'em and throw it sixty times!"

FlatLander
11/14/2014, 02:40 PM
I am pretty sure in the NFL there are rules about announcing injured players at a certain point before a game. But what about NCAA? I can not figure out why we would let everyone know that Knight is a scratch. Any ideas?

rock on sooner
11/14/2014, 02:49 PM
I'm somewhat surprised that the kid who put the rising forearm on TK's
chin when he was down and controlled has gotten off Scot Free, especially
now that the injury is a hyperextended spine...wonder just how the he!!
TK's neck got hyperextended?!

BoulderSooner79
11/14/2014, 03:01 PM
But you forget, who the OC is!! I can just picture him tapping the playbook thinking, "Well they are thinking we will run it. So I gonna outsmart 'em and throw it sixty times!"

I didn't forget and I think you give JH too little credit. I agree our scheme overall doesn't look cohesive, but TK should be far enough along at this point to perform the plays that are called for him. What can reasonably be expected from Thomas is obviously different from a QB that has won the job 2 years in a row and started 1.5 seasons worth of games. The phrase game manager is probably too general, but it fits the situation here. To me, that doesn't imply handing off every time or winging 40+ times. It means don't try to make the perfect throw if someone is covered or try to make the big play if nothing is there. But he will have times his arm is needed and the receiver is open and he will need to calmly deliver a good throw. He'll also need to do the simple things like field the snap cleanly and display proper mechanics handing off or pitching the ball. I'm actually looking forward to this much more than I would if TK was starting. The results are likely to be pretty bland, but it adds the intrigue of the unknown.

Temujin
11/14/2014, 03:12 PM
I've always liked Bell, honestly. He seemed to have the kind of confidence and fire that you need out of a QB. He just has pathetic footwork and that causes him to be wildly inaccurate at times. I always thought that could be corrected, but it seems like we were more enamored with TK's speed than the potential to develop another passing QB. I think if Heupel were still QB coach he could've ended up a lot like Ben Roethlisberger. The only problem with that is that we'd have to have had a lot of patience with him.

Soonerjeepman
11/14/2014, 03:33 PM

now that right there is funny....nice one.

** for the record I am NOT happy to see TK go down with an injury. I pray the dude is good.

Soonerjeepman
11/14/2014, 03:35 PM
I'm somewhat surprised that the kid who put the rising forearm on TK's
chin when he was down and controlled has gotten off Scot Free, especially
now that the injury is a hyperextended spine...wonder just how the he!!
TK's neck got hyperextended?!

exactly. I thought the minute it happened there should have been a call. I still think Stoops should turn the tape into the league for review. Not sure if it's a possibility now but I'll bet in a few years it will be.

BoulderSooner79
11/14/2014, 03:37 PM
now that right there is funny....nice one.

** for the record I am NOT happy to see TK go down with an injury. I pray the dude is good.

The only mention I've seen of spinal stenosis have said tests are negative. But of course we know that injury information is not always complete or accurate at this early stage. Everyone was claiming that Shepard was fine at this time last week.

stoopified
11/15/2014, 11:04 AM
I t
There are morans on LT that think that would actually work. Or more precisely, that Thomas can just hand off on every down and win by playing 10 against 11. Sometimes I think that board consists of 13 year olds.I think anyone who believes OU will try to ground and pound with Cody just haven't paid attention. OU does not baby their backups who are forced to start. I am willing to bet we throw at least 20 passes vs.TT.

BoulderSooner79
11/15/2014, 11:16 AM
I tI think anyone who believes OU will try to ground and pound with Cody just haven't paid attention. OU does not baby their backups who are forced to start. I am willing to bet we throw at least 20 passes vs.TT.

I believe the playbook will be abbreviated by necessity and the run/pass ratio will be higher than with TK. But I think the ground and pound crowd is a bit delusional about how good the running game is this year. It's solid, but one only needs to look at our success on 3rd/4th and 1 when the defense knows what's coming to know it's not dominate. We still need a little uncertainty in the defense's mind in order to be effective, even against TTech. The wind may bail us out today if it is strong enough to neutralize the medium and longer passing game and bring the running game to the forefront. OUr run against TTech run wins hands down.