PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting

dwarthog
11/11/2014, 04:48 PM
How will this little "rough" patch affect this years recruiting, if at all?

Tear Down This Wall
11/11/2014, 05:04 PM
None. Bedenbaugh and Montgomery will still be sweeping in a couple of days before signing day and stealing 2-star/"diamond-in-the-rough" recruits from North Texas, Houston, and Lousiana-Monroe.

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2014, 05:16 PM
None. Bedenbaugh and Montgomery will still be sweeping in a couple of days before signing day and stealing 2-star/"diamond-in-the-rough" recruits from North Texas, Houston, and Lousiana-Monroe.

At least you're tediously consistent.

aero
11/11/2014, 08:24 PM
How will this little "rough" patch affect this years recruiting, if at all?

I don't worry too much about recruiting. Yes, it would be nice to have all 5 stars but it's still a crap shoot. They pan out or don't, get injured or off field issues. Plus, there are so many good players out there you almost are guaranteed to get your share. I think it's more who they are and what you do with them. I don't recall Miss. St. winning any recent recruiting titles.

blacktop
11/11/2014, 08:46 PM
I don't recall TCU, Kansas State, or Baylor winning too many either.

EatLeadCommie
11/11/2014, 09:45 PM
I don't recall TCU, Kansas State, or Baylor winning too many either.

Which tells me we have one or all of the following-- poor coaching, poor player development, poor player evaluation.

soonercastor
11/11/2014, 10:28 PM
I don't worry too much about recruiting. Yes, it would be nice to have all 5 stars but it's still a crap shoot. They pan out or don't

Not even sure what you're trying to say here. 5 stars pan out more than 2-4 stars.
So yeah on any given player, it's a crap shoot but the "luck" aspect of it thins out when you start adding them up.

aero
11/11/2014, 11:14 PM
Not even sure what you're trying to say here. 5 stars pan out more than 2-4 stars.
So yeah on any given player, it's a crap shoot but the "luck" aspect of it thins out when you start adding them up.

I guess what I was trying to say was there are plenty of 5 stars that didn't work out and plenty of 3 and 4's that did. I'd say most of the time the difference between a 4 and 5 isn't a whole lot. I've seen players rated differently by different groups. And where exactly are you getting your data that 5 stars pan out more than 2-4 stars? Basing that on Bama? I think Ole Miss might argue about that. Check out their 2012 class. Maybe coaching is the difference between a 3 star or a 5 star. Hope that helps.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/12/2014, 12:33 AM
Both Mississippi and Mississippi State had top recruiting classes lately. The state of MS had had lots of HS talent in recent years. OU hasn't smelled top 5 recruiting in quite a while, now.

SicEmBaylor
11/12/2014, 01:36 AM

We've built what we have now on the backs of 2-3* "diamond in the rough" recruits. Those stars are so arbitrary that anyone who thinks or believes that X number of 5* recruits=championship is a delusional idiot.

The only thing it means is that the talent gap is narrower making it easier for the coaches to get the players where they need to be, but it's by no means a certainty that they will actually do it. It all comes down to the coaching. I would argue we have the best S&C coach and conditioning program in Div I football, and Briles has a truly remarkable eye for "diamond in the rough" talent....God knows the staff has proven they know how to develop 2-3* talent.

Recruiting rankings are a crock of ****. The higher ranked recruits simply means the talent gap is more narrow; therefore, theoretically, making it easier to coach and condition them into the system. That's it. Don't get hung up on the bull**** recruiting rankings -- worry more about how well the staff develops the talent they have.

dwarthog
11/12/2014, 09:12 AM
I think there has been plenty of "star" analysis done by the more informed posters here with regards to how those kid's pan out along the way, accuracy of ratings etc.

I guess I was sort of curious with regards to how programs like OU weather the storm so to speak in the eyes of recruits when they may be perceived as having a down year or two along the way.

Tear Down This Wall
11/12/2014, 10:53 AM
Settle down, Sic Em. We already know that Baylor is a hard sell to the better recruits. We don't care anything about that. There are drugs to control your Asperger's as well. Or, pop onto youtube and watch some videos of Rand Paul and fantasize than anyone outside of tooth-deprived Kentucky would ever vote for him.

Anyway, what Oklahoma needs is better recruiting than what they get out of Bedenbaugh and Montgomery. Bobby Jack and Cale do a nice job. I'd keep them around. Everyone else needs to be evaluated...if Stoops has the guts to do it.

Stoops may be too fat and happy, though, from his annual salary increases and extensions to care these days. We already know he is wholly disinterested in the fanbase. So, what is it to him if his assistants have gone from signing 5-star DLs to pilfering from the likes of UNT, ULM, and Houston?

rock on sooner
11/12/2014, 11:42 AM
In the OP, dwarthog said "little rough patch"...that is a good description...take a
look at the three teams that we lost to..currently #4, #7 & #13 in the playoff poll.
Now take a look at the "ages" of OUr skill people. The future looks bright to me.
The losses are hard to take (always have been for the last 62 years!) but I don't
think much will come, other than some really good high schoolers will see a chance
to come to an elite football program and contribute right away. It is amazing to me
how quickly some become handwringers and naysayers. It is easy to be a Sooner
when we win, since we do that a lot, not quite as easy when the road is bumpier.
But, that's just me.....

SoonerorLater
11/12/2014, 11:58 AM
Ah yes, after the fire the coaches thread could the recruiting arguments be far behind? All of this probably doesn't change our recruiting prospects much at all........for now.

Sooner in Tampa
11/12/2014, 12:02 PM
Ah yes, after the fire the coaches thread could the recruiting arguments be far behind? All of this probably doesn't change our recruiting prospects much at all........for now.
I agree...but, then what would TDTW post about?

KantoSooner
11/12/2014, 12:03 PM
TDTW, I really don't get your hatred of Bedenbaugh and Montgomery. Prior to B's arrival, as I recall, we were busy suiting up anybody who looked like he could eat more than two big macs at a sitting and hoping we could find enough of them to field a complete team. This year's line has been a disappointment...compared to what we all hoped it would be. We were wrong in our hopes. But we've certainly got more to work with than has been the case for a long while.
And Montgomery?!? seriously? The man's a recruiting machine. Routinely mentioned by name by recruits across the nation.
I fully agree that some changes need to be made, but to call out those two by name makes me wonder if you're trying to make a joke.

Tear Down This Wall
11/12/2014, 01:06 PM
TDTW, I really don't get your hatred of Bedenbaugh and Montgomery. Prior to B's arrival, as I recall, we were busy suiting up anybody who looked like he could eat more than two big macs at a sitting and hoping we could find enough of them to field a complete team. This year's line has been a disappointment...compared to what we all hoped it would be. We were wrong in our hopes. But we've certainly got more to work with than has been the case for a long while.
And Montgomery?!? seriously? The man's a recruiting machine. Routinely mentioned by name by recruits across the nation.
I fully agree that some changes need to be made, but to call out those two by name makes me wonder if you're trying to make a joke.

I don't have to try to make a joke...it's made for me by the coaches themselves every time they snag a 2-star OL or DL away from UNT, ULM, or Houston. It's easy. You just wait for them to do it (again), then point it out.

Hmmm. Wait a second. That doesn't sound like a joke at all. It sounds more like...telling facts.

You decide. Either way, sweeping in during the waning days of recruiting to break the hearts of football fans in Denton, Texas and Monroe, Louisiana is a joke.

KantoSooner
11/12/2014, 01:12 PM
If you choose to be dazzled by star ratings, we were ranked with what? the 15th or so best class last year? and are on target for something in that range or maybe a touch better this year. Not saying that improvement could not be made, but you seem to be a tad excessive in your judgment.

Tear Down This Wall
11/12/2014, 01:24 PM
If you choose to be dazzled by star ratings, we were ranked with what? the 15th or so best class last year? and are on target for something in that range or maybe a touch better this year. Not saying that improvement could not be made, but you seem to be a tad excessive in your judgment.

Look, I do understand that many schools would be happy to have the talent to have only three losses the first week of November...and, Bedenbaugh and Montgomery should go back to recruiting and coaching linemen for such schools.

KantoSooner
11/12/2014, 02:29 PM
since you seem so passionate about it, and to avoid seeming like a person who simply complains without offering anything constructive, please name one, or more, OL and DL coaches who you would replace them with. To be fair about it, these coaches need to be people who are at least theoretically possible to go get.
Example: Saban to replace Stoops would fail the 'possible' test.

cvsooner
11/12/2014, 02:55 PM
What do you expect from Tear Down This Wall? He thought Reagan was a great president.

olevetonahill
11/12/2014, 03:03 PM
Look, I do understand that many schools would be happy to have the talent to have only three losses the first week of November...and, Bedenbaugh and Montgomery should go back to recruiting and coaching linemen for such schools.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKWqLZAS8V-QYaSBKuTb_5EZrBb4CNBQk9ZRx9o2IdHhFsONan

Well said LOL

olevetonahill
11/12/2014, 03:05 PM
What do you expect from Tear Down This Wall? He thought Reagan was a great president.

Thats about the ONLY thing i will agree with him on.

cvsooner
11/12/2014, 03:09 PM
Thats about the ONLY thing i will agree with him on.

I don't agree with him on anything. Suspect judgment. :nevreness:

8timechamps
11/12/2014, 07:36 PM
I think there has been plenty of "star" analysis done by the more informed posters here with regards to how those kid's pan out along the way, accuracy of ratings etc.

I guess I was sort of curious with regards to how programs like OU weather the storm so to speak in the eyes of recruits when they may be perceived as having a down year or two along the way.

Bump in the road.

At this point in the cycle (for the guys that will sign in this class), a few losses (even as bad as Baylor) isn't going to turn them off to the program. In fact, the prevailing attitude after last weekend's recruiting visits (the biggest since the Tennessee game) was very positive.

I don't think recruits pay a lot of attention to single games (as far as helping them make a decision), as much as they do the ability to fit in, feel comfortable, play early, be close to home, etc.

In the end, I don't think the Baylor game will have any affect on recruiting.

8timechamps
11/12/2014, 07:40 PM
It's also entirely too soon to evaluate Montgomery and/or Bedenbaugh. I think we've brought in a grand total of, what, 2 2-star prospects in the last two years (along either line)? It may be less than that. Anyway, maybe those guys will turn out to be monsters, maybe they'll be busts....the point is, you can't evaluate a coach's recruiting ability until you see how the players they recruited play.

I've never complained about a meal I ordered before I ate it, or complained about a movie I've seen before I watched it...

11/12/2014, 08:04 PM
What do you expect from Tear Down This Wall? He thought Reagan was a great president.the phk do you think? Carter? Clinton? Obola? the phk!!!

cvsooner
11/13/2014, 12:01 PM
the phk do you think? Carter? Clinton? Obola? the phk!!!

So says the guy who takes pride in being compared favorably to Rush Limbaugh?

11/13/2014, 01:48 PM
So says the guy who takes pride in being compared favorably to Rush Limbaugh?Prayers and hope for enlightenment for you, a guy who doesn't think Reagan was a great president.

cvsooner
11/13/2014, 02:36 PM
Prayers and hope and enlightenment....unpossible. I am an OU grad and a Sooners fan.

And there was that whole Iran-Contra thing along with Reaganomics that puts the lie to the great presidency of a B movie actor.

11/13/2014, 03:29 PM
Prayers and hope and enlightenment....unpossible. I am an OU grad and a Sooners fan.

And there was that whole Iran-Contra thing along with Reaganomics that puts the lie to the great presidency of a B movie actor.We get it. America is unjust and unfair, and the real enemy of those who live here.

cvsooner
11/13/2014, 03:44 PM
We get it. America is unjust and unfair, and the real enemy of those who live here.

Ah, you have achieved enlightenment. Congratulations.

8timechamps
11/13/2014, 04:34 PM
Please stay on topic...or this thread will have to be moved. Then everyone loses. :)

cvsooner
11/13/2014, 05:27 PM
I'm done with it. Promise.