PDA

View Full Version : The rest of the season....play the youngins?

Soonerjeepman
11/11/2014, 01:26 PM
Not giving in...definitely NEED to win out.

BUT, with both lines losing a lot, would you like to see the young-ins get in? Maybe some secondary guys...

With TT (prob a bit tougher..) ku and a bad osu team at home it would present some opportunities. Along with MS not believing our current secondary Sr's are the answer..might be a good time to do that.

I know all the arguments why not, I know nobody here is a coach and in position to make those calls...just a simple question about your opinion.

No burning of a RS year either.

Yes/no/maybe...what positions?

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2014, 01:38 PM
I don't think it's fair to the seniors to just bench them. I'd just like to see more rotation of young guys that haven't gotten much meaningful PT. It would be great to surround a young, high potential guys with the regular starters for a series or 2.

Definitely at QB. TK has thrown a pick 6 (essentially) in all 3 games we lost and has been inconsistent a lot. If Thomas struggles mightily and is clearly over his head, bring in Bell.

I'd like to see Brooks at RB, but it may be a little late for that. Given how the BU transpired, it would have been nice to try for a medical RS on Ford, but that ship has sailed.

WR - if Thomas is in there, he has probably worked more with backup WRs than the first string guys. Hope Shepard is 100%, but should err on the side of caution with a groin strain as those can linger forever.

DB - play Wilson's backup or at least play Wilson when we are in press coverage.

aero
11/11/2014, 01:43 PM
I always like to see young players get pt. It will only help down the road. I don't want to see us lose any more but at this point not sure if it matters. It's a lost season either way. If I was told we would lose out with young players but we'd be legit title contenders next year I'd enjoy the losses a lot more.

aero
11/11/2014, 02:23 PM
Also, maybe it's been mentioned before but I'd also like to see the rest of the year be the last I see of new uni's. Personally, I don't think you can improve on a classic. Some teams don't need bizzare uniforms, blue fields, etc. to make a name for themselves. They already have the name. Just need to live up to it.

Pricetag
11/11/2014, 02:40 PM
I'd like to see them come out hard and pissed and kick enough azz to where putting the younger kids in wouldn't be a risk.

IMO, OU burned to the ground on Saturday. What happens next with the program should be some kind of "back to the drawing board" thing. Do we start this week, or after the bowl game? Back to the concept of young players and risk--does it really matter whether we finish fourth in the Big 12 or sixth? I personally wouldn't mind another loss if I could see evidence of tinkering.

birddog
11/11/2014, 03:09 PM
We are hurting in the WR position for some reason but have a bunch of 6'4+ guys that will prolly red shirt. I know one of those young, tall guys has already played(Mead?). Get him out there with quick, young, Smallwood, dallis Todd,whoever and let em go at it. actually I'm sure Todd is a rs. No reason to burn that.

badger
11/11/2014, 03:11 PM
Let's all pool ever red shirt we have in our closets and stage a bonfire.

Burn redshirts burn!

Soonerjeepman
11/11/2014, 03:26 PM
nice one badge...

Not saying just bench the Sr's...not even bench the starters...just use more of a rotation.

Stoops usually never does sub guys except in a 50 point blowout with 5 min left. I say change it up a bit~

8timechamps
11/11/2014, 04:21 PM
Given the next three opponents, we should be able to get in position to play the young guys in mop up duty. However, that's all dependent on which team shows up.

The problem is that you really don't want to burn redshirts at this point in the season. Otherwise, we've seen just about every back-up this year. The only position that we would be able to see some guys that we haven't seen much is at WR.

If you think about it, we've used a lot of guys all over the field. I can't think of many young guys that haven't played.

Soonerjeepman
11/11/2014, 04:40 PM
agree, but put them in the 1st quarter...not just the last 5 up 50 (if that's possible in any of the 3 games - I'd say ku for sure...osu maybe...tt who knows.)

maybe they have rotated them in earlier..I didn't think so.

Tear Down This Wall
11/11/2014, 05:01 PM
No. Let the seniors battle for their right to play in the Independence Bowl.

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2014, 05:12 PM
Given the next three opponents, we should be able to get in position to play the young guys in mop up duty. However, that's all dependent on which team shows up.

The problem is that you really don't want to burn redshirts at this point in the season. Otherwise, we've seen just about every back-up this year. The only position that we would be able to see some guys that we haven't seen much is at WR.

If you think about it, we've used a lot of guys all over the field. I can't think of many young guys that haven't played.

I don't think mop up duty does that much for player development. And will this team even provide many minutes of mop up? The main players I'd like to see are at QB and WR. If TK is held out, its a done deal obviously. If Shepard is out again, I'd like to see more of players not named Young - he has had ample opportunity and hasn't shown much.

rock on sooner
11/12/2014, 11:50 AM

Ummm, given that we have lost three, I'm thinking that the rest of OUr schedule
is thinking "Let's get on the beating OU bandwagon" so, we shouldn't take them
too lightly.....jus sayin...

Soonerjeepman
11/12/2014, 12:51 PM

yes but the three that beat OU are much better than the last three we face. Granted ANYTHING can happen...but IF ANY of the three actually beat OU....then heads need to roll.

rock on sooner
11/12/2014, 01:07 PM
yes but the three that beat OU are much better than the last three we face. Granted ANYTHING can happen...but IF ANY of the three actually beat OU....then heads need to roll.

Don't disagree, but one of those three prolly would sacrifice their first
born to beat "Big Brother", doncha know.....

Soonerjeepman
11/12/2014, 01:09 PM
Don't disagree, but one of those three prolly would sacrifice their first
born to beat "Big Brother", doncha know.....

lol...no doubt

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2014, 01:31 PM
I actually don't see winning out as that hugely important. Can't take a thumping, but playing in a tight, tense game and putting players in a situation where they must respond is not a bad thing. Those games against OSU and WVU in '12 helped our '13 squad be more resilient, IMO. The best thing that can happen from here on is to create some excitement for the program. Winning out against the unranked dregs of the conference is better than losing, but I don't see the excitement factor. Maybe we luck out with an interesting opponent in our bowl. Seeing some young players break out and make a big play or 2 might help.

I'm sure the team will not take any team lightly as far as preparation goes, but getting them motivated to practice and play hard will be a challenge for the staff. I'm sure Stoops wants to protect his career record and legacy because no one looks at the opponents when looking at his career record.

badger
11/12/2014, 01:49 PM

Sponsored by Duck Dynasty (http://independencebowl.org/)! Quack quack

On a serious note, let everyone earn playing time. If we want a team that unexplainably plays lesser talented upperclassmen ahead of their superior-but-benched froshie-sophomore types, let's re-hire Mack Brown as OC.

cvsooner
11/12/2014, 02:57 PM
The Tech game will be interesting to watch. It will either be a blowout by us, or a blowout by them. I don't see a realistic third alternative.

Historically Stoops' troops have played better or even their best when their backs are against the wall. It will be interesting to see if that history repeats itself.

Soonerjeepman
11/12/2014, 08:45 PM
after watching "the Boz" on 30/30...wish sometimes Bob had a little fire in him like Barry....maybe he does in the locker room. Different time though....

sendbaht
11/13/2014, 07:11 AM

oh that is funny.:))

8timechamps
11/13/2014, 04:38 PM
I don't think mop up duty does that much for player development. And will this team even provide many minutes of mop up? The main players I'd like to see are at QB and WR. If TK is held out, its a done deal obviously. If Shepard is out again, I'd like to see more of players not named Young - he has had ample opportunity and hasn't shown much.

I get where you're coming from, but I don't know how many guys are only playing in garbage time. We've rotated guys along both lines throughout the entire season (not just mop up duty), so I think that will continue. In the secondary, I suppose we could see more Byrd, Taylor and Austin...and at receiver we could see Mead, Bennett and Smallwood more (and earlier). Otherwise, there's not many other guys to put out there (that aren't redshirted).

8timechamps
11/13/2014, 04:39 PM

I don't think any of our players are going to go in to any of our remaining games thinking "this will be an easy win". So, I doubt anyone gets taken lightly. As for me, I can take the remaining teams lightly, because I'm not playing. :)

BoulderSooner79
11/13/2014, 05:02 PM
I get where you're coming from, but I don't know how many guys are only playing in garbage time. We've rotated guys along both lines throughout the entire season (not just mop up duty), so I think that will continue. In the secondary, I suppose we could see more Byrd, Taylor and Austin...and at receiver we could see Mead, Bennett and Smallwood more (and earlier). Otherwise, there's not many other guys to put out there (that aren't redshirted).

And you just named all the guys I'm talking about :D

And no, I do NOT want to burn redshirts.