PDA

View Full Version : #24 in Coaches Poll, fell out of the AP top 25

EatLeadCommie
11/9/2014, 02:55 PM
But hey, we lost to 3 top 15 teams if that makes everybody feel better.

Sooner91ATL
11/9/2014, 03:06 PM
so how does this affect our playoff hopes?

Mookie91
11/9/2014, 03:23 PM
I'll admit that sucks but #10 or #27 I really don't care. If we were ranked #9 this season would still be a disappointment.

aero
11/9/2014, 04:03 PM
I'll admit that sucks but #10 or #27 I really don't care. If we were ranked #9 this season would still be a disappointment.

I'm kind of with you on that. Hard to believe this is where we are after so much expectations for this year of being a top contender.

Therealsouthsider
11/9/2014, 04:21 PM
....not far from the penthouse to the outhouse

ss

TrophyCollector
11/9/2014, 05:57 PM

And ZERO wins over a ranked team. We are somewhere between 1997 & 1999 in terms of being a quality football program.

Curly Bill
11/9/2014, 06:05 PM

We do have some fans that have turned poke on us - I'm sure they'll find comfort in that.

FaninAma
11/9/2014, 06:37 PM
We do have some fans that have turned poke on us - I'm sure they'll find comfort in that.
Yes because you have discovered the Holy Bible that states what a proper fan is supposed to say and do.

We get it that you are really, really pissed at this coaching staff and want them to suffer. However, anything that deviates from what you think we should all think gets you cranked up and initiates the mud slinging.

The really silly thing is I agree with you about the coaching staff but because I want to direct some criticism toward the Baylor player who injured Knight , a totally separate issue from the coaching discussion, you want to start throwing out labels like "poke fan" and implying it's unmanly to discuss questionable hits if your team loses.

Curly Bill
11/9/2014, 07:02 PM
Yes because you have discovered the Holy Bible that states what a proper fan is supposed to say and do.

We get it that you are really, really pissed at this coaching staff and want them to suffer. However, anything that deviates from what you think we should all think gets you cranked up and initiates the mud slinging.

The really silly thing is I agree with you about the coaching staff but because I want to direct some criticism toward the Baylor player who injured Knight , a totally separate issue from the coaching discussion, you want to start throwing out labels like "poke fan" and implying it's unmanly to discuss questionable hits if your team loses.

I didn't mention you by name in my post, and yet you feel defensive about it. Interesting is it not?

Jason White's Third Knee
11/9/2014, 07:22 PM
There are plenty of people that think you are full of ****, Bill. Nothing new there. If someone misses a tackle you want to pull their scholly.

I have never had an itchy trigger finger on the coaching staff, but after repeating our folly against Baylor, I'll back up some of the criticism of our offensive coaches. I expect Baylor to score. I expect OU to our score them. That's my bottom line. We have the tools this year.

Losing by a few points against respectable teams doesn't have me sending anyone to the guillotine. Getting rolled by Baylor twice is no fluke. We need a change. Sad to say it. I'm not sure how we could have stopped the bleeding from Wilson and the rest of the secondary, but we should have done the same to them.

Curly Bill
11/9/2014, 07:44 PM
There are plenty of people that think you are full of ****, Bill. Nothing new there. If someone misses a tackle you want to pull their scholly.

I have never had an itchy trigger finger on the coaching staff, but after repeating our folly against Baylor, I'll back up some of the criticism of our offensive coaches. I expect Baylor to score. I expect OU to our score them. That's my bottom line. We have the tools this year.

Losing by a few points against respectable teams doesn't have me sending anyone to the guillotine. Getting rolled by Baylor twice is no fluke. We need a change. Sad to say it. I'm not sure how we could have stopped the bleeding from Wilson and the rest of the secondary, but we should have done the same to them.

Actually I criticize the players much less than I do the coaches, unlike many of the other posters here who would rather pile on the players while defending grown men, but don't let being wrong ruin whatever point you're trying to make.

...and I take the whole "plenty of people thing" as a considerable compliment, since you of course mean the people who post here.

Snrinhouston
11/9/2014, 09:24 PM
Being out of the AP top 25 is an absolute embarrassment. It's not a one-off or fluke. OU has been making a clear gradual slide from excellence since 2009. The win over Bama was an exception-not a prelude of a return to form.

The biggest joke is that Stoops is getting paid 5.25MM this year (second only to Saban) to deliver such underwhelming results.

Jack T.
11/9/2014, 09:37 PM
The biggest joke is that Stoops is getting paid 5.25MM this year (second only to Saban) to deliver such underwhelming results.

Now, to be fair, 10-3 (if we get there) is WAY WAY above national average. It's just *horribly* average compared to previous Oklahoma seasons. And I don't want to be above average nationally. . .I want to be above average Oklahoma-ly.

Snrinhouston
11/9/2014, 09:46 PM
Now, to be fair, 10-3 (if we get there) is WAY WAY above national average. It's just *horribly* average compared to previous Oklahoma seasons. And I don't want to be above average nationally. . .I want to be above average Oklahoma-ly.

That is what Stoops gets paid to do. And he's clearly not doing it. How much of that $5.25MM do you think he'll give back this year, because he feels guilty for under-delivering?

Tear Down This Wall
11/10/2014, 10:42 AM

Exactly. "We lost to this ranked team or that ranked team, so everything is okay. Look! We still beat Louisiana Tech!"

But, hey...this is a big ship. It will take a while to turn it to face reality. Remember down in Austin how long it took their fans and alumni to figure out Powers, Dodds, and Brown had run that thing into the ground.

We're just a couple of years away. It took Texas' bunch four years of floundering after their last national title appearance. It's been six seasons now since our last appearance; so, you can argue our bunch is a little slower than the bunch down in Austin. And, we're now into our second longest national title drought. So, we've got that going for us as well.

At this point, just hope that our fan base and alumni are more like Texas and less like Virginia Tech, otherwise Stoops, Castiglione, and Boren will be sparing us to death a long time.

Tear Down This Wall
11/10/2014, 10:45 AM
....not far from the penthouse to the outhouse

ss

Well, we haven't been in the penthouse since 2000, so....

Soonerjeepman
11/10/2014, 01:09 PM
Guess I'm in the boat with pokes...lol

I don't like 10-3 (if we can get there...I honestly believe we can) but I like it a whole lot better than anything below that. I believe the tcu and ksu losses were self-inflicted, coaches and players. We'll see how well tcu finishes out. bu, that was total collapse.

I don't "give stoops a pass" for the last 16 years, but they have been pretty decent, great to about 113 schools out of 119. I agree, because of $5.25 million, it needs to go up, and fairly quick. I'll b e interested to see if there are any coaching changes in the off-season. Mike is here to stay as long as he likes...JH maybe not....who knows.

Sooner91ATL
11/10/2014, 01:31 PM
If we end up 9-3 regular season, what will have been our most quality win? WVU in Morgantown?

Jason White's Third Knee
11/10/2014, 01:37 PM
Actually I criticize the players much less than I do the coaches, unlike many of the other posters here who would rather pile on the players while defending grown men, but don't let being wrong ruin whatever point you're trying to make.

...and I take the whole "plenty of people thing" as a considerable compliment, since you of course mean the people who post here.

That was about as kind of a compliment as I can give you, so I am glad you are taking it as such.

Landry Jones. You were the loudest and most consistent voice disparaging that kid. He was a player as I recall. You railed him week after week for a few years. If you complain about coaches more than that...

Ripping that kid is why I never get too worked up by you. It was absurd. I just figure you like to complain.

BoulderSooner79
11/10/2014, 02:38 PM
so how does this affect our playoff hopes?

In reality, they haven't changed since last week.

Snrinhouston
11/10/2014, 03:14 PM
In reality, they haven't changed since last week.

Playoffs as long as Stoops is still the head coach? See Jim Mora's famous soundbite.