PDA

View Full Version : Tired of hearing about our oline

jkjsooner
11/8/2014, 02:48 PM
I'm tired of hearing about how good our offensive line is. A good offensive line doesn't repeatedly get blown up on third or fourth and one. I've never seen an OU line so terrible on short yardage situations.

SoonerMarkVA
11/8/2014, 02:49 PM
Yup. I guffawed very loudly when the play-by-play dude last mentioned our "dominant" O line.

Rogue
11/8/2014, 03:35 PM
They're big.
And they can be good on some plays and mediocre on others.
Just like the rest of the team.

SoonerLB
11/8/2014, 05:08 PM
The only thing they can block is the aisle to the food trough! ;) And they prolly hold on that too! :D

TrophyCollector
11/8/2014, 05:14 PM
At least 2 of them are going to the NFL. They'd look a lot better in college if they were playing for a well-coached offense.

hawaii 5-0
11/8/2014, 05:14 PM
I'd be more than happy if Josh just once, on 3rd and one, called a different play.

Everyone and their dog knows what's coming.

Shades of KeJuan Jones getting stopped for no gain or a loss.

5-0

Therealsouthsider
11/8/2014, 05:17 PM
....they're not physical, they take plays off and disappear when it's money-time

ss

SoonerLB
11/8/2014, 05:20 PM
Predictable is one of the strong points of this offense, along with not applying/using talent, forgetting there is a tight end, and the list goes on . . . . .

aurorasooner
11/8/2014, 05:24 PM
I like that play we had good positive yardage and the announcers couldn't decide if the flag was for a hold or block in the back on our OL. After watching the replay it was both because he tackled the D player from the back with his arms completely wrapped around him. Good technique if he was on defense and that was the ball carrier, though.

NorthernIowaSooner
11/8/2014, 05:33 PM
They're big.

This is the only attribute they should be described with at this point.

bluedogok
11/8/2014, 10:14 PM
Their big and overrated, looks like a lot of Trent Williams types out there. He still takes plays off for the Redskins.

Curly Bill
11/8/2014, 10:16 PM
Their big and overrated, looks like a lot of Trent Williams types out there. He still takes plays off for the Redskins.

ALL those fat guys in the NFL occasionally take plays off - all of em! You can't be that damn big and play at 100% every play.

bluedogok
11/8/2014, 10:25 PM
ALL those fat guys in the NFL occasionally take plays off - all of em! You can't be that damn big and play at 100% every play.
But Williams was known to do that at OU as well, his work ethic was questioned at both levels.

Curly Bill
11/9/2014, 12:13 AM
But Williams was known to do that at OU as well, his work ethic was questioned at both levels.

Because he's a big fat guy - they take plays off, at OU, in the NFL, everywhere.

BlownGP
11/9/2014, 12:15 AM
I don't know what to think really. Maybe they just suck against good teams. Meaning I guess there overrated.

I think it could be mental, because when things aint going our way. It seems they give up.

Tear Down This Wall
11/9/2014, 12:25 AM
Bedenbaugh.

Why is anyone surprised? This is a Hal Mumme/Mike Leach protege coaching our OL. We was coached by mediocrity, groomed in mediocrity, and hired from mediocrity.

We got what we deserved out of this hire: offensive line play Texas Tech or West Virginia would be proud of.

Since71ASooner4Life
11/9/2014, 07:52 AM
Bedenbaugh.

Why is anyone surprised? This is a Hal Mumme/Mike Leach protege coaching our OL. We was coached by mediocrity, groomed in mediocrity, and hired from mediocrity.

We got what we deserved out of this hire: offensive line play Texas Tech or West Virginia would be proud of.

Funny, I've been thinking about that 2008 Tech OL, which was huge like our current group, and which got abused when they came to Norman, like our does when going up against decent teams. Imagine if we ever went up against a real stout defense.

tulsaoilerfan
11/9/2014, 09:34 AM
those huge dudes cant handle the smaller quicker guys that they face; maybe it's time to quit worrying about being so heavy and try to get guys in the 300 pound range

NorthernIowaSooner
11/9/2014, 12:35 PM
those huge dudes cant handle the smaller quicker guys that they face; maybe it's time to quit worrying about being so heavy and try to get guys in the 300 pound range

Watching the OSU-Mich. St. game last night they mentioned their LT went from about 330 last year to 303 this year to get quicker. Going into last night he had never allowed a sack as a sophomore.

I thought the same thing you are, maybe it's time to shed some pounds and get quicker. Most NFL lineman aren't 330 anymore it seems. Most lineman, the best lineman, seem to be in that 305-325 range so they can move. Some of our guys are 340. That doesn't seem like a lot but with DE's getting faster and more LB's blitzing off corners you have to be able to move.

Turd_Ferguson
11/9/2014, 01:08 PM

*They're.

Eielson
11/9/2014, 01:18 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, because I don't specifically watch the offensive line very much, but I think this is one of the best offensive lines Stoops has had.

First off, I don't know how many times Knight has been sacked, but I can't imagine it's been very many. I think TCU got a lot of pressure at times, but overall Knight seems to have more time than Landry usually did. I've never felt like we struggled because Knight doesn't have any time to throw the ball. Our struggles come from Knight making bad decisions, or our WRs not getting open.

Secondly, we're running the ball better than we ever have under Stoops. All three of our RBs are averaging over 5 YPC. Yes, they might be very good RBs, but I doubt they're better than Adrian Peterson and Demarco Murray. We're averaging 5.7 YPC this year, and we averaged 5.2 last year. I checked our stats back to 2004, and we've never averaged over 5 YPC in any other year. Not even when we had AD. Two of our years with Murray we didn't even average 4.0 YPC (3.3 was the lowest).

We suck in short yardage situations when the defense knows we're going to run. We need to fix that. This line has performed very well overall, though.

bluedogok
11/9/2014, 03:38 PM

Watching the OSU-Mich. St. game last night they mentioned their LT went from about 330 last year to 303 this year to get quicker. Going into last night he had never allowed a sack as a sophomore.

I thought the same thing you are, maybe it's time to shed some pounds and get quicker. Most NFL lineman aren't 330 anymore it seems. Most lineman, the best lineman, seem to be in that 305-325 range so they can move. Some of our guys are 340. That doesn't seem like a lot but with DE's getting faster and more LB's blitzing off corners you have to be able to move.
The big lines only work with a traditional, power running game, that is why they're so prevalent in the SEC and Big 10. To run a spread offense you need a more athletic and quick line and use some zone blocking schemes like the Denver Broncos did forever under Shanahan. They always had an undersized line in comparison to the rest of the league.

*They're.
I know....

GDC
11/9/2014, 04:17 PM
Weren't we having the same type of short yardage struggles a few years ago which led to the birth of the Belldozer? Different online coach and players then right? Sounds like a problem within the system.