PDA

View Full Version : There's always next year

GDC
11/8/2014, 02:31 PM
But I certainly will be glad when the ou football rebuilding period is over. What's it been,5 or 6 years now?:sour:

Eielson
11/8/2014, 03:57 PM
I'm disappointed in our run since the Florida loss, but we've won 2 BCS bowls, so I wouldn't exactly call it a rebuilding period. We just haven't been as good as we would like.

I think it all comes down to what Shepard and DGB do. If they both play for us next year, we're in the NC hunt. If they both go pro, we're probably looking at 2 or 3 losses again.

Since71ASooner4Life
11/8/2014, 04:16 PM
But I certainly will be glad when the ou football rebuilding period is over. What's it been,5 or 6 years now?:sour:

Now that the Alabama beating Koolaide has officially been regurgitated, I turn back to the argument that persisted thru much of last season - do people really think we are among the elite in terms of talent across the board?

Aside from being big and heavy, does anyone really think we have a physically strong and dominant offensive line? Are we successful at drive blocking against respectable defenses?

Aside from Phillips being big, and Striker being fast, does anyone see our DL as being physically imposing? Anyone on our DL effective bull rushing? Any of our DB's big hitters causing fumbles? Any of our linebackers known for being big run stoppers? We've got pretty good team speed on defense, but we're a little soft everywhere.

The one real strength we have outside of Sterling Shepard is RB. At the most important position on the field, TK is average at best - good running ability coupled with inconsistent passing. Ross gives us a special teams strength, along with what we hope Hunnicutt returns to being.

We're at best a lower top 20 team like we've been since 2008

blacktop
11/8/2014, 04:16 PM
I like to think that with Shepard, DGB, and Baker Mayfield we will be awesome on offense. Trevor is just not the guy to lift a team on his shoulders week after week after week. I'm so glad he and we have the Alabama game. But he is just not consistent enough. I'm hoping Mayfield is. With the crap he had at Taco Tech he was very, very good. I believe he will take the staring job from Trevor next year. We still have to bring a defense to the game, week after week.

Eielson
11/8/2014, 04:21 PM
I'm hoping Mayfield is. With the crap he had at Taco Tech he was very, very good

No. He was very, very terrible

GDC
11/8/2014, 04:25 PM
L
Aside from Phillips being big, and Striker being fast, does anyone see our DL as being physically imposing? Anyone on our DL effective bull rushing? Any of our DB's big hitters causing fumbles? Any of our linebackers known for being big run stoppers? We've got pretty good team speed on defense, but we're a little soft everywhere.

The one real strength we have outside of Sterling Shepard is RB. At the most important position on the field, TK is average at best - good running ability coupled with inconsistent passing. Ross gives us a special teams strength, along with what we hope Hunnicutt returns to being.

Judging by the way Alexander bounced off one of the Baylor running backs near the end of the game, I would have to say the linebackers are not run stoppers in the classic sense.

birddog
11/8/2014, 04:25 PM
I'm disappointed in our run since the Florida loss, but we've won 2 BCS bowls, so I wouldn't exactly call it a rebuilding period. We just haven't been as good as we would like.

I think it all comes down to what Shepard and DGB do. If they both play for us next year, we're in the NC hunt. If they both go pro, we're probably looking at 2 or 3 losses again.
Shepard, dgb and maybe a 3rd down stop every once in awhile, you should add.

Eielson
11/8/2014, 04:28 PM
If we have Shepard and DGB next year, we'll have two strengths on offense. First, our running game. Second, our passing game.

SoonerorLater
11/8/2014, 04:29 PM
Now that the Alabama beating Koolaide has officially been regurgitated, I turn back to the argument that persisted thru much of last season - do people really think we are among the elite in terms of talent across the board?

Aside from being big and heavy, does anyone really think we have a physically strong and dominant offensive line? Are we successful at drive blocking against respectable defenses?

At least the administration showed we won't tolerate any poor behavior by booting both Mixon and Shannon so that's something we have going for us.

Since71ASooner4Life
11/8/2014, 05:02 PM
If we have Shepard and DGB next year, we'll have two strengths on offense. First, our running game. Second, our passing game.

If we have Shepard and DGB next year, we'll have two strengths on offense. First, our running game. Second, our receiving game.

Our passer is part of the passing game, and he doesn't appear to be the answer you can count on every week.

TrophyCollector
11/8/2014, 05:05 PM
Next Year- A Stoops tradition since 2000!

hawaii 5-0
11/8/2014, 05:06 PM
Painful, just painful.

After awhile I was feeling sorry for D. Williams, bless his heart.

I hope Knight isn't hurt seriously.

5-0

SoonerorLater
11/8/2014, 05:11 PM
Did I mention basketball starts next weekend so that's something else we can look forward to.

hawaii 5-0
11/8/2014, 05:18 PM
I set my DVR for the exhibition basketball game yesterday but all I got was some hockey game.

Alas.

5-0

NorthernIowaSooner
11/8/2014, 05:31 PM

If Knight doesn't improve it won't really matter if those two return. If he plays like this he will continue to lock on one, stare them down and continue to make poor decisions that result in picks. But hey, maybe they're good tacklers.

GDC
11/8/2014, 05:35 PM
I think some OU's better tacklers are on the offensive side of the ball. God knows they get plenty of practice.

Eielson
11/8/2014, 05:42 PM
If we have Shepard and DGB next year, we'll have two strengths on offense. First, our running game. Second, our receiving game.

Our passer is part of the passing game, and he doesn't appear to be the answer you can count on every week.

Well of course he looked terrible today. The only player he had to throw to today that wasn't below average was a true freshman.

TrophyCollector
11/8/2014, 05:47 PM
Well of course he looked terrible today. The only player he had to throw to today that wasn't below average was a true freshman.

Blake Bell might very well be below average, but he was also wide open for a TD. Thee is no defending TK's passing consistency because it doesn't exist.

Eielson
11/8/2014, 05:49 PM
Blake Bell might very well be below average, but he was also wide open for a TD. Thee is no defending TK's passing consistency because it doesn't exist.

Knight missed that throw...then he came back and made a great throw for a TD two plays later.

First play of the game, Bell was also open. Bounced right off his hands.

BoulderSooner79
11/8/2014, 05:57 PM
At least the administration showed we won't tolerate any poor behavior by booting both Mixon and Shannon so that's something we have going for us.

Mixon brought that on himself and almost any coach outside of Tallahassee would have sat him. Don't think we'll really know what happened with Shannon since they sealed the evidence, but I don't see Shannon making a big difference. But you know all that and you're just griping.

8timechamps
11/8/2014, 06:13 PM
The truth is we were spoiled at the QB position. I think TK can be "the guy" eventually, but he's not Sam Bradford (or Landry Jones), and his development isn't going to be the same. If he doesn't show improvement, in time, he'll lose the job. I'm not really worried about TK. We need receivers to step up and be better (Quick looked really good today). We've seen this before with Ryan Broyles, and I hope we don't see it again.

Who knows what will happen next year, but you can bet I'll be watching/cheering.

I still support Stoops 100%, and will always support OU. Losing sucks, but it doesn't change my life in any way, shape or form.

SoonerorLater
11/8/2014, 06:26 PM
Mixon brought that on himself and almost any coach outside of Tallahassee would have sat him. Don't think we'll really know what happened with Shannon since they sealed the evidence, but I don't see Shannon making a big difference. But you know all that and you're just griping.

What I also know is that FSU is currently in line to play for a NC.

TrophyCollector
11/8/2014, 06:34 PM
The truth is we were spoiled at the QB position.

Spoiled is a massive understatement. In 8 years we had 4 of the best QB seasons in school history. Two Heisman winners and two in the top 3. We will likely never have a run like that again.

Only turning that into one NC was major underachievement.

Since71ASooner4Life
11/8/2014, 06:39 PM
The truth is we were spoiled at the QB position. I think TK can be "the guy" eventually, but he's not Sam Bradford (or Landry Jones), and his development isn't going to be the same. If he doesn't show improvement, in time, he'll lose the job. I'm not really worried about TK. We need receivers to step up and be better (Quick looked really good today). We've seen this before with Ryan Broyles, and I hope we don't see it again.

Who knows what will happen next year, but you can bet I'll be watching/cheering.

I still support Stoops 100%, and will always support OU. Losing sucks, but it doesn't change my life in any way, shape or form.

Yup that's all right. But at some point we need to just swallow that bitter bill which says the school that set the standard for passing excellence during a decade long run today doesn't have a QB on par with the top 3 or 4 in its own conference, and until that is solved we probably aren't thinking too rationally believing there hope for us to be one of the elites again. It could all change in a heartbeat with the next freshman phenom that steps on the field, but that's a waiting game. In the mean time is sucks losing to schools we used to own

EatLeadCommie
11/8/2014, 07:21 PM
Lol it's always next year with this staff. The program is in decline.this is like Mack's final few years, only Bob wins enough and is young enough to keep his job

BoulderSooner79
11/8/2014, 07:25 PM

And that's not worth putting thugs on the field for me. Besides, I think even Fisher would not have played Mixon because there were charges pending against him. As distasteful as the whole Winston affair appears, there are no charges filed against him.

BoulderSooner79
11/8/2014, 07:29 PM
Lol it's always next year with this staff. The program is in decline.this is like Mack's final few years, only Bob wins enough and is young enough to keep his job

Could be. The game constantly changes and it takes a very flexible and resilient staff to be able to adapt and thrive over a long period of time. That's why it's very rare for a HC to stay as long as Brown did and Stoops has.

8timechamps
11/8/2014, 07:32 PM
Spoiled is a massive understatement. In 8 years we had 4 of the best QB seasons in school history. Two Heisman winners and two in the top 3. We will likely never have a run like that again.

Only turning that into one NC was major underachievement.

Agreed. I believe Baylor is going through a similar situation with RG III and Petty. Nonetheless, prior to Bell/Knight, we hadn't needed to worry about the QB position for a long time. We had it better than most of us (me included) realized.

8timechamps
11/8/2014, 07:34 PM
Yup that's all right. But at some point we need to just swallow that bitter bill which says the school that set the standard for passing excellence during a decade long run today doesn't have a QB on par with the top 3 or 4 in its own conference, and until that is solved we probably aren't thinking too rationally believing there hope for us to be one of the elites again. It could all change in a heartbeat with the next freshman phenom that steps on the field, but that's a waiting game. In the mean time is sucks losing to schools we used to own

That's always the case...gotta love college football.

It is a waiting game, and it does suck losing (especially to schools we used to own). But, I'm in it for life...the joy/curse of being a Sooner fan.

BoulderSooner79
11/8/2014, 08:25 PM
I thought we were a year away before this season started. Too young in the RBs, WRs and DBs to expect enough consistency for a title run this year. But I thought we would be better than this. The RBs performed very well and should be a really strong group next year, but the WRs and DBs did not develop as I had hoped. We lose a bunch of experience on the O-line next year, but that group really wasn't as good as expected; so maybe the new group coming in will be better. I thought TK would be more consistent and maybe another year is what he needs, but I hope the competition is open next year. College football -- gotta love and hate it.

8timechamps
11/8/2014, 08:29 PM
I thought we were a year away before this season started. Too young in the RBs, WRs and DBs to expect enough consistency for a title run this year. But I thought we would be better than this. The RBs performed very well and should be a really strong group next year, but the WRs and DBs did not develop as I had hoped. We lose a bunch of experience on the O-line next year, but that group really wasn't as good as expected; so maybe the new group coming in will be better. I thought TK would be more consistent and maybe another year is what he needs, but I hope the competition is open next year. College football -- gotta love and hate it.

I let the Bama win cloud my judgement. If I had really looked at this team for what it is, I think I would have come to the same conclusion.

It could be worse...we could be Taco Tech fans.

Curly Bill
11/8/2014, 08:35 PM

SPEK

As a fan I care about the product on the field and not a tinkers damn about how the PC crowd, the blue hairs, soccer moms, the Stoops apologists, or what anyone else thinks about our behavior. Just win football games!

Eielson
11/8/2014, 08:43 PM
SPEK

As a fan I care about the product on the field and not a tinkers damn about how the PC crowd, the blue hairs, soccer moms, the Stoops apologists, or what anyone else thinks about our behavior. Just win football games!

Weren't you part of the anti-DGB crowd?

Curly Bill
11/8/2014, 08:44 PM
Weren't you part of the anti-DGB crowd?

Not even a little bit.

hawaii 5-0
11/8/2014, 09:14 PM
Quick is coming along nicely.

I think we have good talent. Our coaches just need to coach 'em up.

Next year's schedule isn't optimal for home vs. away, but if you're good enough (and a little lucky) it won't matter.

5-0

soonercastor
11/8/2014, 09:44 PM
I think some OU's better tacklers are on the offensive side of the ball. God knows they get plenty of practice.

Ok I laughed.

BoulderSooner79
11/9/2014, 12:37 AM
SPEK

Stereotype much?

BlownGP
11/9/2014, 12:40 AM

I dont know what it is with, but we think a lot like..lol
I was just reading the thread, going to post when I got done. Then read your post and was like dammit. I was going to say the same thing..lol

I too seem to forget, this a really young team at the skills position. I guess you can say that about any team, but when you think about other than Shepard and Trevor very few players have a lot of playing time. Especially before the year.

Curly Bill
11/9/2014, 12:42 AM
Stereotype much?

Actually I do.

BoulderSooner79
11/9/2014, 12:46 AM
Actually I do.

Well, at least you're not an old, grouchy, get-off-my-lawn couch fan with an OU T-shirt but no OU diploma that thinks the team should be run like an NFL win-at-all-cost company. Those guys are the worst.

Curly Bill
11/9/2014, 12:50 AM
Well, at least you're not an old, grouchy, get-off-my-lawn couch fan with an OU T-shirt but no OU diploma that thinks the team should be run like an NFL win-at-all-cost company. Those guys are the worst.

Yeah, I know right! I don't even have any OU T-shirts anymore since I donated them to the Kool Aid Drinkers Church of Stoops.