PDA

View Full Version : Brian and the Boz debuts on ESPN on Tuesday

nighttrain12
10/28/2014, 12:04 AM
http://newsok.com/film-director-had-to-warm-up-to-idea-of-espn-documentary-on-former-ou-linebacker-brian-bosworth/article/5360843

To be replayed 50,000 times but you can see it first on Tuesday at 8pm.

badger
10/28/2014, 12:15 PM
I'd love to do a "game thread" when it's on, but alas, mommy-toddler duties. If it's anything like the Marcus Dupree one, it will be a good watch

nighttrain12
10/28/2014, 03:29 PM
The trailer:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11734535

8timechamps
10/28/2014, 07:29 PM
I've been looking forward to this since the first time it was advertised. I put in extra work at the office, so I can devote my full attention to this. Hope it's done as well as Dupree's.

olevetonahill
10/28/2014, 08:22 PM
Anf I forgot all about till now!
Oh well I did remember to record it.

EatLeadCommie
10/28/2014, 10:46 PM
It was great. I thought it was better than the Dupree one.

olevetonahill
10/28/2014, 10:50 PM
Heh My 15 year old Grandson texted me earlier. said he was watchin this show on ESPN about Bosworth and Switzer.
Said Bosworth was a "BEAST " lol

EatLeadCommie
10/28/2014, 11:10 PM
Lots of highlights from old games and good interviews from everybody. I thought it was very well done and surprisingly poignant.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/28/2014, 11:36 PM
Much happier with the show than I expected to be. Shouldn't be damaging to OU.

swardboy
10/29/2014, 06:01 AM
I thought it was good. Wish it would have included Boz's apology on the Sooner greats dvd.

jkjsooner
10/29/2014, 08:34 AM
I thought it was good. Wish it would have included Boz's apology on the Sooner greats dvd.

It did.

Flagstaffsooner
10/29/2014, 01:57 PM
On again at 7PM CDT Espn2 Thursday night.

GDC
10/29/2014, 07:40 PM
On again at 7PM CDT Espn2 Thursday night.

I can't find that on my dvr. Do you know when else they might be showing it?

GDC
10/29/2014, 07:50 PM
Ok, I found it at 11 PM on Thursday on ESPN2.

EatLeadCommie
10/29/2014, 11:12 PM
Is Casillas still bitter over it or was that just the way the show portrayed him to be? I can't remember if he was on hand for the original apology all the way back in 2003.

Tear Down This Wall
10/30/2014, 09:18 AM
Steroids.

As to Casillas, history is on his side. Look at his career versus Bosworth's.

Flagstaffsooner
10/30/2014, 01:43 PM
Oops, sorry I went the wrong way converting MST to CDT.

8timechamps
10/30/2014, 02:33 PM
Is Casillas still bitter over it or was that just the way the show portrayed him to be? I can't remember if he was on hand for the original apology all the way back in 2003.

I found it a little odd that Casillas would still be bitter, but he was directly affected by Boz' antics (as were the other teammates). It would probably benefit him to move on, but some people aren't so quick to do that, and it's hard for me (or anyone) to blame him for that.

I don't think Casillas and the Boz will be having coffee together anytime soon.

badger
10/30/2014, 04:26 PM
I don't think Casillas and the Boz will be having coffee together anytime soon.

Unless something happened since 2008, I saw them both on the sideline at Red-White game chatting together, about two hours' worth of ignoring all the kids begging for autographs from the stands, heh. Definitely didn't appear hostile, but just two old Sooner All-Americans reminiscing while watching the newest batch of Sooner hopefuls scrimmage.

8timechamps
10/30/2014, 06:46 PM
Unless something happened since 2008, I saw them both on the sideline at Red-White game chatting together, about two hours' worth of ignoring all the kids begging for autographs from the stands, heh. Definitely didn't appear hostile, but just two old Sooner All-Americans reminiscing while watching the newest batch of Sooner hopefuls scrimmage.

It sure didn't sound like he (Casillas) had any good feelings toward the Boz. Maybe the interview just brought up some bad memories, but he sounded pretty pissed (still).

ihatehorns
10/30/2014, 08:03 PM
bosworth was pretty critical about casillas in his book. I just don't think that they ever got along to begin with. As I remember it in the book, casillas believed that bosworth's success was due in large part to the dominant defensive line play.

Irregardless, Brian Bosworth was a beast and the most dominant college linebacker in NCAA history. The boz was the reason that I became an OU fan. As a 10 year old kid in 1985, I sported a "boz" (haircut) and idolized him.

I thought the show was great. At the time of the book I was really too young to realize the impact and repercussions that it had. Those depicted negatively in the book have every right to still be mad, sooner nation still has the right to be be mad about the fallout, but you can't dispute the magic that happened on the field, and him being instrumental in making that happen.

Wishboned
10/30/2014, 08:07 PM
That was an outstanding documentary. I always loved the Boz. His career coincided with my Army career and his larger than life persona just hit a chord. He talked the talk, and he walked the walk. He made a lot of mistakes, and did some stupid things, but I think he honestly regrets all that.

bluedogok
10/30/2014, 10:36 PM
Casillas was/is an *******....

soonergirlNeugene
10/31/2014, 01:41 AM
The Boz was before my time. I had no idea Duke Nukem played for OU in the 80s! Seriously, I hope he got some royalties from them.
http://images.pushsquare.com/news/2014/02/duke_nukem_mass_destruction_to_run_out_of_gum_on_p s4/attachment/0/original.jpg

Flagstaffsooner
10/31/2014, 04:52 AM
It was good but mainly old news.

SoonerMarkVA
10/31/2014, 06:19 AM
Wasn't Casillas one of the guys giving Switzer a hard time in Dallas, too? Seems like he, Aikman, and a few others were letting their tongues wag quite a bit about Switzer and some crap about Blake? Hard to remember now.

Flagstaffsooner
10/31/2014, 07:23 AM
Yup. They were both aholes.

Soonerjeepman
10/31/2014, 01:33 PM
one game I remember was ku/OU in Lawrence, prob 1982 (fall)...cold, wet...nasty day. OU won like 50/s to 3...maybe 0. Boz hit a rb I believe...Boz's helmet went flying....awesome.

OUmillenium
10/31/2014, 01:33 PM
Loved it. Looked forward to it but it was almost entirely OU football and awesomeness from the 80s!

I also had the Boz haircut. Sported it for a Fall JH Baseball tournament (I was the catcher) at Lookeba Sickles (not my home). He inspired a lot of people in a lot of ways, hopefully in positive ways.

Didn't realize Switzer leaned on him for so much leadership from such an early time.

Great interviews and footage in this one. Woke up early and watched it Wednesday morning at 4:30 am.

Checking into some Boz football cards and posters on the ebays.

Salt City Sooner
10/31/2014, 01:42 PM
one game I remember was ku/OU in Lawrence, prob 1982 (fall)...cold, wet...nasty day. OU won like 50/s to 3...maybe 0. Boz hit a rb I believe...Boz's helmet went flying....awesome.
It was '86 & was my first OU game to see in person. The funniest thing I remember from that one is that ABC was doing it & Keith Jackson was the announcer. After OU had just scored to go up around 50 or so (final was 64-3, FWIW), they were supposed to cut away for a commercial break. The powers that be were a bit slow in doing such, & Jackson, thinking he was off the air, can be heard plain as day saying "What the hell are we doing here?!?!"

8timechamps
10/31/2014, 01:49 PM
The best individual game the Boz had at OU was the 1987 Orange Bowl against Miami. We lost (another national title chance), but he played like a man possessed. The documentary did a good job of highlighting that game/performance. It made losing suck even more, because he played so damn good.

On another note...I remember being in Norman for the Miami/OU game, and when the two teams came out before the game, the Boz was standing at midfield pointing at the Canes and talking ****. It got the stadium worked up into a frenzy. That was another loss to Miami, but it was the birth of the '85 national title team.

Tear Down This Wall
10/31/2014, 02:27 PM
The best individual game the Boz had at OU was the 1987 Orange Bowl against Miami. We lost (another national title chance), but he played like a man possessed. The documentary did a good job of highlighting that game/performance. It made losing suck even more, because he played so damn good.

On another note...I remember being in Norman for the Miami/OU game, and when the two teams came out before the game, the Boz was standing at midfield pointing at the Canes and talking ****. It got the stadium worked up into a frenzy. That was another loss to Miami, but it was the birth of the '85 national title team.

Except that he didn't play in the 1987 Orange Bowl, which was against Arkansas. And, having been kicked off the team prior to the 1987 season and going into the NFL Supplemental Draft that summer, he didn't play in the 1988 Orange Bowl either...the one against Miami.

8timechamps
10/31/2014, 02:35 PM
Except that he didn't play in the 1987 Orange Bowl, which was against Arkansas. And, having been kicked off the team prior to the 1987 season and going into the NFL Supplemental Draft that summer, he didn't play in the 1988 Orange Bowl either...the one against Miami.

You're correct, it was against Miami...in the Orange Bowl...but, it wasn't THE Orange Bowl.

10/31/2014, 02:47 PM
Except that he didn't play in the 1987 Orange Bowl, which was against Arkansas. And, having been kicked off the team prior to the 1987 season and going into the NFL Supplemental Draft that summer, he didn't play in the 1988 Orange Bowl either...the one against Miami.yep. I went to that OB for the 1987 season(January 1988) Holieway had gotten hurt earlier, and Charles Thompson was QB. Barry didn't have OU pass the ball even once until the 4th quarter. Miami had 8 on the DL the entire game. I was SOOOOO PO'd!

10/31/2014, 02:49 PM
You're correct, it was against Miami...in the Orange Bowl(1988)...but, it wasn't THE Orange Bowl.HUH?!?!?

Soonerjeepman
10/31/2014, 03:26 PM
It was '86 "

dang can't believe I was that far off...could have swore it was after my Sr yr, fr yr in college...I was at ksu and a buddy and I drove over, my sis was at ku. guess it was that year...ugh. Gettin old~

8timechamps
10/31/2014, 05:09 PM
HUH?!?!?

Why did you add "(1988)" to my quote?

10/31/2014, 07:00 PM
Why did you add "(1988)" to my quote?to be sure we were talking about the same game. The January 1 game 1988 between OU and Thug U was THE Orange Bowl game, played after the regular season games.

Turd_Ferguson
10/31/2014, 07:29 PM
Just watched it today. Loved it. Wonder how much he could auction off that t-shirt for?

bluedogok
10/31/2014, 09:10 PM
HUH?!?!?
OU played a regular season game at Miami on September 27, 1986 in the Orange Bowl Stadium.

11/1/2014, 01:40 AM
OU played a regular season game at Miami on September 27, 1986 in the Orange Bowl Stadium.but of course(see post # 38), and the 1987 season ending game in the Orange Bowl OU against the thugs was the actual OB game for that year.

okiewaker
11/1/2014, 01:56 AM
A lot of life lessons could and will be learned in this documentary, from a family point of view. My son and myself watched it several times, hopefully some hit home, good and bad. Well done!

Aries
11/1/2014, 08:56 AM
Watched it last night, pretty good show. Brian seems like a totally different person. Sure brought back a lot of memories, wasn't crazy about the persona but man the kid could play!

Mookie91
11/1/2014, 10:25 AM
God, that brought me back to why I love the Sooners and the Boz. Brian was everything that is right and wrong with the 80s, college football and the human condition.

bluedogok
11/2/2014, 06:46 PM
I had a friend who knew Brian back at OU and was around him some, he definitely was a different person off the field than he was on the field. It was definitely the Boz/Brian split personality.

Turd_Ferguson
11/2/2014, 09:57 PM
There was a fight in the parking lot of Stubbeman Village one night and my girlfriend and I were in the crowd surrounding it. Boz parted his way through the crowd to get to the fight for whatever reason, not sure if it was one of his friends fighting or not. Anyway, he stepped on my girlfriends little toe and broke it. She cried, he hugged her. I'm not sure, but I think she hobbled back to the campus the next night and made him apologize again by forcing him to shove his **** down her throat. I never seen her again. Hope her toe is crooked.

EatLeadCommie
11/2/2014, 11:34 PM
lol. There's no 4 letter word for tongue, which makes that story even better than it already is.

Turd_Ferguson
11/3/2014, 03:36 PM
lol. There's no 4 letter word for tongue, which makes that story even better than it already is.

I guess I could've spelled out Penis.

8timechamps
11/3/2014, 06:06 PM
There was a fight in the parking lot of Stubbeman Village one night and my girlfriend and I were in the crowd surrounding it. Boz parted his way through the crowd to get to the fight for whatever reason, not sure if it was one of his friends fighting or not. Anyway, he stepped on my girlfriends little toe and broke it. She cried, he hugged her. I'm not sure, but I think she hobbled back to the campus the next night and made him apologize again by forcing him to shove his **** down her throat. I never seen her again. Hope her toe is crooked.

Hey, at least you have a Boz story out of the deal.

badger
11/4/2014, 02:27 PM
I finally watched last night. About the only spot it loses credibility is where Boz was claiming that he didn't want the book stuff that ran his teammates and coaches under the bus to come out as it had. Maybe he thinks that now, but I doubt he gave a crap back then.

The rest is a nice story of redemption about the rise and fall of college superstar with lots of Sooner highlights from the 80s

OUmillenium
11/6/2014, 02:26 PM
Bought some 1988 topps cello football cards off of ebay last week...got 3 Boz rookies so far, 1 on the front of a pack (still unopened)!

soonercody
11/8/2014, 11:26 AM
I have it DVRd and I've honestly also been looking forward to seeing the reactions here.

Soonerjeepman
11/12/2014, 08:39 PM
Just saw it.

I graduated in 1982, so he's few years younger...liked the show. I do agree that back in the day he didn't give a $hit....hindsight is 20/20, for ALL of us...really.

Glad he has reconciled with himself and his father, even if he was deceased.

Like others on here, Tony C doesn't sound happy at all...but who cares.

My Boz story, a few years ago I came down for a game, my cousin and I were in the old training center for food/drinks before the game. I went outside to a porta-potty and there was Boz. I went over to him, shook his hand (before I pi$$ed) and told him I always enjoyed watching him. He said thanks and moved on. I still think he enjoys the lime-light...but that's ok.

Didn't he have nephews that played at ucla a few years back?